#gmstrong
Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I said this elsewhere, but Walker has a little more polish and experience in games than DTR. Neither will win us the SF game, but still

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Just say this out loud for a second...if our starting QB goes down, we won't start our only backup QB on the active roster...we will instead start our practice squad guy.

Happens all the time, right? The polish is officially off of this turd of a FO-through-HC.

Say it out loud.

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Just say this out loud for a second...if our starting QB goes down, we won't start our only backup QB on the active roster...we will instead start our practice squad guy.

Happens all the time, right? The polish is officially off of this turd of a FO-through-HC.

Say it out loud.

Reminds me of the team we play on Sunday to a degree.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Only speaking for myself but when Nick went down. It let the air out of my balloon.

Besides being my favorite player. I know how important he was to this team.

The offense was going to be based upon balance. Nick was half of that.

Ford and Hunt are average backs. They are in no way a replacement for Mr. Chubb. Every team gets injuries and you have to adjust.

The offense now has to change gears. We have to change our offensive personality. We have to become a pass attacking team. That means more receivers in routes. Most snaps from the gun. Use of motion. Scheme opens with rub routes. Have a quick 3 or 4 read from far too near.

Miami is a team running a fast twitch passing attack. Quick fire passing.

We cannot continue with the scheme that was based upon Nick. The results will not happen.

We do not have a pocket passer and the OL is not playing well to support that kind of play.

It is up to AVP and KS to adjust. I am not sure we can. Sure you change plays. But that does not mean your players are a fit to what is needed.

This season hangs in the balance and I cannot say I am optimistic.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by bonefish
Only speaking for myself but when Nick went down. It let the air out of my balloon.

Besides being my favorite player. I know how important he was to this team.

The offense was going to be based upon balance. Nick was half of that.

Ford and Hunt are average backs. They are in no way a replacement for Mr. Chubb. Every team gets injuries and you have to adjust.

The offense now has to change gears. We have to change our offensive personality. We have to become a pass attacking team. That means more receivers in routes. Most snaps from the gun. Use of motion. Scheme opens with rub routes. Have a quick 3 or 4 read from far too near.

Miami is a team running a fast twitch passing attack. Quick fire passing.

We cannot continue with the scheme that was based upon Nick. The results will not happen.

We do not have a pocket passer and the OL is not playing well to support that kind of play.

It is up to AVP and KS to adjust. I am not sure we can. Sure you change plays. But that does not mean your players are a fit to what is needed.

This season hangs in the balance and I cannot say I am optimistic.

AVP has zero to do with any of that

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
AVP is the offensive coordinator. Of course he has something to do with it.

It makes no difference to me what people think of KS. However, what has been reiterated from Berry and the coaching staff is a collaborative approach to coaching.

If you did not believe that ok.

IMO I think it is the case. Why not? Ideas from others may help. DW has input. I see no reason why not.

The goal is improvement. However you get there.

P
Legend
Legend
P
No matter how you slice it, AVP is the one who gets the O ready for the game in practice. So claiming he has nothing to do with it is just silly talk. KS may be the one that makes the call as it pertains to what adjustments should be made but it's up to AVP to prepare them to execute those adjustments.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
yeah exactly. Chubb went down and it sealed our fate basically.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Say it out loud.

Reminds me of the team we play on Sunday to a degree.

Well...Lance was injured early in the year (Wk2)...Jimmy G played QB after that...not a PS QB.

When Jimmy G went down...in came Purdy...who was never on the PS to my recollection.

I see the 'to a degree' comment...so that's how-so I suppose.

I just can't fathom having an un-injured QB on the 53 and bypassing him (for the next start at QB) over a PS guy. I think this type of roster 'management' is playing with fire. I'm not so disappointed that Walker is considered 'better' at this time...I am however shocked that they would play russian roulette with the QB position and not lock Walker from being poached. It's not like he's a G or something.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

For (3) straight years our season's 'fate' was sealed by about week (4).

I know that Watson may be back before the season is too far along...so...this season's 'fate' will rest on whether Ski can scheme a way for Watson to be effective...and I'd say we are still waiting on that to reveal itself.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

For (3) straight years our season's 'fate' was sealed by about week (4).

I know that Watson may be back before the season is too far along...so...this season's 'fate' will rest on whether Ski can scheme a way for Watson to be effective...and I'd say we are still waiting on that to reveal itself.

Our fate was sealed because the QB position has been a mess. And here we are this year... 230 million guaranteed dollars and all the draft picks... and our QB position is still a mess.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
DW probably just wants to take another week off to rest and get well. Nothing wrong with that.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
DW probably just wants to take another week off to rest and get well. Nothing wrong with that.

You may be right, nothing to gain by getting thumped by the 49ers. However, considering his accuracy and timing has been very suspect so far this year, 3 to 4 weeks of not throwing isn't going to improve those deficiencies. Then the question would become, how many weeks will it take for Watson to get to 2020 levels, if ever? Whole lot of money being laid out each year (46M) for zero positive results in year 1 and a shell of what you purchased for half the season in year 2.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
In his last start watson was 27-33 for 289 yards and 2 td's.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I just saw an interesting, and admittedly completely baseless, conspiracy theory being floated as an explanation for the DW weirdness.

The short version is the theory that perhaps he has screwed up off the field again with another massage "request".

With all of the strange reports flying around that the coach says it was his call even though he was medically cleared, but then apparently Berry contradicts that, but meanwhile, supposedly, all of the players thought he was going to play because he was telling them he'd play only for him to suddenly not be able to play... and now, a full three weeks after the game where he was "injured", he's still not taking reps. It's all SUPER STRANGE. However, the even stranger conspiracy theory actually has all of the weird suddenly make sense, which is kinda scary.

FWIW: my less weird theory is that he's trying to actively get out of Cleveland with all of that guaranteed money and get to another contract at a place of his choosing. Between the poor play and now the lingering "injury" issues, I feel like he's just trying to make himself not worth keeping.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I blame it on inflation. $230 million just doesn't buy what it used to.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
I blame it on inflation. $230 million just doesn't buy what it used to.

That ain't no lie. rofl

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

After he burned his face

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
thats crazy

Legend
Legend
Sadly true. That's why we threw in the draft picks; COLA for the NFL.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

So, he did that against the weak azz Titans. Tell me that you honestly believe that the Browns have received anything close to a 46M per year QB play. The whole point of the acquisition was the Browns "HAD TO HAVE" an elite top 5 QB to make it to a Super Bowl. It was the only missing piece that was keeping them from being a bonafide Super Bowl contender. The Browns have paid Watson $56,823,530 for the 9-games over 2 seasons he has played thus far for the Browns. Have the Browns received elite play for that 56M plus paid? How much more time does he get before we see consistent top 5 elite play - 2 weeks, 6, 8, the rest of 2023 or maybe in 2024? I guess being ranked 19th after 5 weeks into the season with a QBR of 47.2 is acceptable (hmmm, that includes the Titans game). The bum former QB has a QBR of 70.1 ranked 6th but wasn't elite enough for the Browns.

According to the vast majority of posters on this forum - Watson has a better o-line than the 2020 Texans, better WR's than 2020, better HC than 2020, better GM than 2020, and a better defense than his 2020 team (in fact, many on this forum here say the Browns are an elite defense). So, when can we expect that consistent top 5 elite play considering Watson has been afforded a better all-around supporting cast than he had in 2020? Supposedly, the Browns have went out and upgraded the entire roster when compared to what Watson had in Houston in 2020. Shouldn't we expect equal or better play then out of our 230M QB playing behind a much superior roster? When?

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: Floquinho
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Pdawg

After he burned his face

Here are some more pics he posted of his burns. Much respect that he went out and played. Had to be incredibly painful.

Legend
Legend
pretty incredible he played

E
Legend
Legend
E
He's a tough [censored].

No Craps Given
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Anyone starting to wonder if this Deshawn business is a psychological issue…? I mean, get imagining done, get a second medical opinion if it’s a real physical issue. If it’s actual physical damage there’s protocols. But this is weird. He’s ready, he isn’t, it’s his call… what is going on? Has he lost his mojo, creeping doubt, having “a moment”? This is so Browns

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by steve0255
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

So, he did that against the weak azz Titans. Tell me that you honestly believe that the Browns have received anything close to a 46M per year QB play. The whole point of the acquisition was the Browns "HAD TO HAVE" an elite top 5 QB to make it to a Super Bowl. It was the only missing piece that was keeping them from being a bonafide Super Bowl contender. The Browns have paid Watson $56,823,530 for the 9-games over 2 seasons he has played thus far for the Browns. Have the Browns received elite play for that 56M plus paid? How much more time does he get before we see consistent top 5 elite play - 2 weeks, 6, 8, the rest of 2023 or maybe in 2024? I guess being ranked 19th after 5 weeks into the season with a QBR of 47.2 is acceptable (hmmm, that includes the Titans game). The bum former QB has a QBR of 70.1 ranked 6th but wasn't elite enough for the Browns.

According to the vast majority of posters on this forum - Watson has a better o-line than the 2020 Texans, better WR's than 2020, better HC than 2020, better GM than 2020, and a better defense than his 2020 team (in fact, many on this forum here say the Browns are an elite defense). So, when can we expect that consistent top 5 elite play considering Watson has been afforded a better all-around supporting cast than he had in 2020? Supposedly, the Browns have went out and upgraded the entire roster when compared to what Watson had in Houston in 2020. Shouldn't we expect equal or better play then out of our 230M QB playing behind a much superior roster? When?

All valid questions!

Being critical to what’s going on around Watson is based on conflicting reports and these incidents is another symptom for an unstable organization without a healthy culture. Maybe Berry and Stefanski is communicating parts of the truth but it’s still handled in an amateurish way who creates more questions than answers.

I’m disappointed that we don’t learn from previous mistakes. Investing 230M in a questionable character was and is a huge gamble that can easily set us back a couple of years. Was what was happening in Houston only a string of unfortunate circumstances?

If we’re going to compete against the very best organizations in the NFL we need leaders that knows what they’re doing and has the competence to make well thought long term decisions. Taking well calculated chances is sometimes necessary but entering costly and risky deals even when the problems is well documented is a sign of a poor leadership.

This leads me to Steve’s post about our franchise QB. So far we supporters has every reason to question what we got for giving away multiple valuable draft picks and 230M.

Legend
Legend
Always great to look at the sunny side.

I think it is time to petition the NFL and ask that they remove the team.

We don't deserve this. Haslam should sell the team.

It is time for Cleveland fans to find another team. We are not that far away from Buffalo or Detroit. I mean they never lose.

Maybe we can find something else. Some sport where you always win.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
Anyone starting to wonder if this Deshawn business is a psychological issue…? I mean, get imagining done, get a second medical opinion if it’s a real physical issue. If it’s actual physical damage there’s protocols. But this is weird. He’s ready, he isn’t, it’s his call… what is going on? Has he lost his mojo, creeping doubt, having “a moment”? This is so Browns

No. I'm guessing he's legitimately hurt. Unfortunately, some injuries are harder to diagnose than others. Some are also harder to treat. The shoulder is one of the most freely moveable areas in the human body (when undamaged), and to allow it to move as it is able, it is quite complex.

If one thinks something is going to resolve itself quickly, most people don't go for second opinions. Unfortunately, it's lingering longer than expected.

..."Fans" are weird....Browns fans especially. They (we) have reasons for that, but I think it also is a bit of a negative feedback loop/downward spiral.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You can downplay that performance all you like. He had played against not so great teams before and did much worse. But you do you.

the fact is the Browns put up more points against the Titans than any other opponent they had faced including the Chargers who have Justin Herbert at QB.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
All Pro
All Pro
Always great to look at the sunny side.

I think it is time to petition the NFL and ask that they remove the team.

We don't deserve this. Haslam should sell the team.

It is time for Cleveland fans to find another team. We are not that far away from Buffalo or Detroit. I mean they never lose.

Maybe we can find something else. Some sport where you always win.

I have had no reason whatsoever to criticize the Browns leadership if this was just a unlucky handling of an pretty straightforward incident. Players get injured all the time and either they play or don’t without any surrounding drama but with the Browns this’s to often the normal way of dealing with a problem than anything else. You can call it whatever you like but in my world it’s poor leadership.

Your other strange comments doesn’t deserve any further attention.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hey phrase in your reply, "In my world".

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Frankly, I am sick of the whining.

If there is a smell of negativity it will get dug up.

It's sports. Entertainment or not. You win and lose.

For the last fifty years all I have heard is complaining. Fire this guy. Hire that guy. This guy sucks. Who can we blame?

We get a good coach. Belichick, Marty it does not matter. They get criticized. It is always greener somewhere. Except it is not. Dallas gets talked about non-stop. What have they done?

Everyone has the answers. In their minds.

Watch the game. If it is upsetting. Turn it off. I don't care who gets fired or hired. I am not on the line for it.

I hope I live to see the day the Browns win a Super Bowl.

If not. C'est la vie.

1 member likes this: Bull_Dawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
While I agree with your overall premise, come on man. We haven't had a Belichick or Marty since, well.... Belichick and Marty.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
My point is. It makes no difference who we hire.

They will be criticized.

A few coaches last in some places. Not many.

No matter how good they have been.

When you look at coaches who last. Guess what? They are getting great quarterback play.

If or when that ends. The coaches get fired.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not really disagreeing with you here. But I will say I think one needs to consider the size of the crowd involved here. I too heard the calls for Belichick and Marty's heads back in the day. But they weren't the large crowd of voices. They were the outliers in the room. There wasn't a vast majority of the fan base calling for their jobs. So I think a little context here is called for in the examples you chose to give.

And as it pertains to the success of coaches being tied to QB's, I posted the very same thing the other day in a different type of discussion. It was about "installing a winning culture".

I pointed out that two of the biggest examples of that were Belichick in New England right up until of course Tom Brady left. And then there was Sean Payton in New Orleans of course right up until drew Brees retired. So I think we're pretty much on the same page here for the most part.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Frankly, I am sick of the whining.

If there is a smell of negativity it will get dug up.

It's sports. Entertainment or not. You win and lose.

For the last fifty years all I have heard is complaining. Fire this guy. Hire that guy. This guy sucks. Who can we blame?

We get a good coach. Belichick, Marty it does not matter. They get criticized. It is always greener somewhere. Except it is not. Dallas gets talked about non-stop. What have they done?

Everyone has the answers. In their minds.

Watch the game. If it is upsetting. Turn it off. I don't care who gets fired or hired. I am not on the line for it.

I hope I live to see the day the Browns win a Super Bowl.

If not. C'est la vie.

All I want is the Browns to have some sort of success similar to when we won against the Steelers with Baker & Co. It was almost five a clock in the morning, I live in Scandinavia, when I was singing Corvette Corvette so intense that my wife woke up and gave me a Brazilian bollocking when I slide’d down next to her. I was so sure that from there the only way was up with more satisfying results. I fell asleep with a smile that night but who could anticipate this continued roller coaster signed by firm Berry & Stefanski?

Fast forward a couple of seasons and instead of making progress the team has so far gone backward. New and old players has come and gone. Wild swings has taken with giving a highly controversial and dislikable character a record breaking 230M guaranteed deal. We finally got rid of Woods and unsurprisingly our defense got significantly better. That move proved if anything the importance of having qualified coaches matters. Do you agree?

So forgive me bonefish if I want some changes in the Browns leadership. I simply don’t believe that these two Harvard wannabes has what it takes to challenge for a Super Bowl win.

Our results don’t lie and excuses are for those who leave the party without a pretty girl. Right or wrongly that’s how I feel and I will continue to whine despite your irritation until we at least win our division or a play off game.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard