Legend
Legend
George Kittle.

One Catch. One Yard.

JOK and others.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Legend
Legend
Kittle was so concerned about chipping and protecting that it really limited their offense ... then take away Deebo and CMC, and they were bottled up

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Yep. It seemed like the game plan was for him to take one for the team. Game plans can't plan for injury. In the end, no Samuel doesn't mean you can stop protecting your QB.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I will admit that I did not think the Browns had a chance in this game. I thought the 49ers were a lock at -4.5. I lost money because of that thought. I am FINE with it.

Having said that, the Browns got lucky for once. Be it a questionable call, a dropped pass or a missed FG, the Browns WON. Yes, CMC and Deebo going out helped. But the D played really well after their first drive and the offense did enough to win the game.

Not many thought the Browns would win (including me) but at 3-2 I think a lot of us are pretty happy. Would be nice to go on a run before the next round of division games. We should be at least 5-3 (Seattle away always seems to be tough) but I can see the Browns being 6-2 before heading to Baltimore.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
My thought: if you come out trying to be chippy at the beginning of the game and throw your weight around, you should probably win the game.

Oops...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Before this week I had never heard of PJ Walker.

His first pass to Cooper was Wednesday.

It was not like he played great, but he outplayed Purdy.

A guy who had not thrown an int. A guy who had not lost a regular season game. On a team that had won 15 straight regular games.

So, now every team has at least one loss. We have two.

Where are the pitchforks now? Have to dig deep to find something to be miserable about.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bonefish

Where are the pitchforks now? Have to dig deep to find something to be miserable about.

Winning feels good, but nobody has to dig any deeper than they did last week. There are still issues galore with this offense and they are real and legitimate reasons to be upset, and it begins with that other QB. Furthermore, one LUCKY win against a team in another conference doesn't wipe out two terrible losses to division rivals.

Winning feels good, but it doesn't erase anything.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

2 members like this: oobernoober, bbrowns32
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
- Speaking of Bryant, that was a great play call on the Hunt TD. Bryant had lined up at QB a few times on short yardage and has always been successful. Crossing that up with the pitch to Hunt was not was SF was expecting. Genius.

Yeah, but if it didn't work, we'd be hearing the exact opposite about Stefanski tries to be too cute! or Stefanski should have just called a run!.....especially if we lost. That's the way it goes.

Not really - and KS did run it.

Is your post trying to suggest that Stefanski hasn't shown a history of trying to be too cute in his time as HC of CLE? I mean you only have to look at the interception we had, and the first play after that when we were inside their territory -- the return of the play that hasn't worked once in a half dozen plus times it's been called - a end around with Moore running backwards losing ground. What happened on the next 3 plays? I think we gave a penalty, then incompletions and a punt .... I don't know if that's KS getting cute or just being stupid. I mean we're supposed to be an analytics driven team - or we use analytics a lot - how many times does the same play have to lose yardage and never work before you scrap it?

I don't get the trolling of other posters who don't think Stefanski is a good HC. I mean we've got 4 years of Stefanski under performing. We've got one great win vs the 49ers and you want to act like it proves something?

When Joe Woods was the DC and we criticized him and Stefanski - posters like you rushed to Stefanski's defense to say he wasn't responsible for the D.... well guess what, that cuts two ways. Schwartz is the single biggest reason this team won on Sunday and if Stefanski took no blame for Woods he doesn't get any credit for Schwartz. Unless Stefanski guides this team to the playoffs and avoids laying more eggs as he has shown many many times in previous seasons when we thought we were on the right track then this game means absolutely diddly squat no matter how good it feels this week.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Lucky?

Look at the box score.

We played the game with a quarterback from the practice squad.

What about how KS cannot adjust? Can't get the most from players?

Find a way to be miserable. The best defense in football.

DW has played in 3 games. The record is 3-2.

It is ok to enjoy a win without finding misery.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Had SF made that very-make-able FG, the tone in here would be dramatically different. Nice to win one ugly and lucky for a change...and with ref help at that.

Two things that bother/intrigue me:

At the end of the game, SF managed to get into FG range a little too easily for my liking;

Have we always had pass-cathers that/so wide open throughout the year? If so, we have left a lot of plays on the field...If not, what did we do differently to make that so?

Legend
Legend

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Love Baldy “but the big man can dance” 😂

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mgh888
- Speaking of Bryant, that was a great play call on the Hunt TD. Bryant had lined up at QB a few times on short yardage and has always been successful. Crossing that up with the pitch to Hunt was not was SF was expecting. Genius.

Yeah, but if it didn't work, we'd be hearing the exact opposite about Stefanski tries to be too cute! or Stefanski should have just called a run!.....especially if we lost. That's the way it goes.

Not really - and KS did run it.

Is your post trying to suggest that Stefanski hasn't shown a history of trying to be too cute in his time as HC of CLE? I mean you only have to look at the interception we had, and the first play after that when we were inside their territory -- the return of the play that hasn't worked once in a half dozen plus times it's been called - a end around with Moore running backwards losing ground. What happened on the next 3 plays? I think we gave a penalty, then incompletions and a punt .... I don't know if that's KS getting cute or just being stupid. I mean we're supposed to be an analytics driven team - or we use analytics a lot - how many times does the same play have to lose yardage and never work before you scrap it?

I don't get the trolling of other posters who don't think Stefanski is a good HC. I mean we've got 4 years of Stefanski under performing. We've got one great win vs the 49ers and you want to act like it proves something?

When Joe Woods was the DC and we criticized him and Stefanski - posters like you rushed to Stefanski's defense to say he wasn't responsible for the D.... well guess what, that cuts two ways. Schwartz is the single biggest reason this team won on Sunday and if Stefanski took no blame for Woods he doesn't get any credit for Schwartz. Unless Stefanski guides this team to the playoffs and avoids laying more eggs as he has shown many many times in previous seasons when we thought we were on the right track then this game means absolutely diddly squat no matter how good it feels this week.

Hey, mgh. Not comfortable speaking for Memphis, but the way I took the response was a comment on fans and hindsight. Since the play worked everyone will say it was a good play call. Had it not, then fans would say it was a stupid play call. I know people like that, who can’t separate the play call from execution. Sometimes a great play call doesn’t pan out because the players don’t execute.

Again, I could be wrong about what Memphis meant.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
2 members like this: mgh888, MemphisBrownie
Legend
Legend
If you cannot recognize that we were LUCKY to win that game, there's nothing more to discuss.

It took, literally, what is potentially one of the best defenses of ALL TIME and then we STILL needed their kicker to miss an incredibly average and makeable FG attempt in order to win.
We were LUCKY.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't make excuses or apoligize for victories.

The Browns won the game and made arguably the best team in the league look pedestrian.

There was some good defense played yesterday.

7 of their points were given by the int.

Browns offense has given up at least 21 due to turnovers.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
we desperately need Watson to get back into the fold ... our offense simply can't generate enough points (or even stave off another team's defense) on a consistent basis

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

-Was Deshaun Watson even on the sidelines with the team? I kept looking for him, but never saw him...I did miss some portions of the game.

-I watched PJ Walker back in his Carolina days, played pretty poorly (bonehead throws, lack of accuracy) but did make some throws. His absolute ceiling is Tyrod Taylor, if if he makes it that far.

-Not saying Delpit played bad, he just seemed to be avoiding contact imo...usually he's crashing down.

-DPJ and Bell had a few nice blocks I noticed.

-Wills didn't seem as bad, despite going up against the elite of elite defensive fronts.

-We need to cut down on the penalties.

-Dunn seemed to do a good job filling in for Joel.

-Can we have Jalen Darden return punts already? I remember he showed big potential as a returner coming out of North Texas.

-Aaron Banks seemed to own Jordan Elliot

-Huge win, in all honesty...I didn't expect it. But glad we escaped with a win, as in normal fashion...we all expected it go wrong at the very end.

M
Legend
Legend
M
-Was Deshaun Watson even on the sidelines with the team? I kept looking for him, but never saw him...I did miss some portions of the game.

Yes. They showed him working with Walker & coaches in-between offensive series a couple of times.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Did we miss a field goal?

Check the box score. Nothing left to discuss.

What about you are your record?

Is the defense from Cleveland?

No go ahead enjoy being miserable. You have company.

Legend
Legend

Yes. They showed him working with Walker & coaches in-between offensive series a couple of times.

He actually looked like he was doing some coach work with a sense of urgency and diligence.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #2035225 10/16/23 12:15 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE

He actually looked like he was doing some coach work with a sense of urgency and diligence.

Agreed.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, Deshaun was there and did seem engaged. You could tell that Walker was much more "coached up" and ready than DTR was last game

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c…

Legend
Legend
thats awesome

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
If you cannot recognize that we were LUCKY to win that game, there's nothing more to discuss.

It took, literally, what is potentially one of the best defenses of ALL TIME and then we STILL needed their kicker to miss an incredibly average and makeable FG attempt in order to win.
We were LUCKY.

The Browns were lucky that the niners missed that last field goal. I agree. The Niners were lucky to even have that chance to kick the game winner.

The Browns out gained them offensively 331 to 215. Had a TD called back and missed a makable 47-yard field goal themselves.

There is a line that I have heard many times by NFL coaches after they retire and that is most games are lost by a team and not won. Make plays and let the other team beat themselves. Both teams tried to beat themselves and the Browns made enough plays to win. Bottom line they were in position to win if the kick was missed, and it was.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
I love Brissett

3 members like this: DaveyD, FORTBROWNFAN, mgh888
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Great game-its nice to be on this end for once and listen to all the squealer fans I work with complaining that the officials gave us the game.

I had on WKNR this morning and they had Rodney McLeod on this morning and they asked him-so the coaches gave you off till Wednesday, what are you going to do. And his reply was "the defense talked amongst ourselves and we decided to come in on our own as a group and lift and start going over film."

nice, on your own time coming in and bonding as a group and keep working on getting better

1 member likes this: Hammer
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'll start with one important fact. It's better to win ugly than lose pretty.

We won. My first observation is this. Both watson and Chubb are out. The 9'ers started out moving the ball pretty well with their healthy play makers on the filed. Then, just like us, they lost two of their best O play makers. CM and Deebo. Isn't it odd how their O looked just as human as ours when the playing field was level on the injury front in regards to their O play makers? Things that make you go hmmmm.... for $500 Alex.

With that said, let's look at how the 49'ers other opponents have faired producing points against them. Week 1 The Steelers put up 7 points against their D. Week 2 the Rams managed 23. In week 3 the Giants managed to score 12. In week 4 the Cardinals scored 16. In week 5 the Cowboys managed to score a whopping 10 points against the 9'ers D.

This week? With an XFL QB and no Chubb, our O managed to put up 19 points against that same D. Maybe a little context will be helpful for some people.

As with the overwhelming number of posters on this board, I gave the Browns no chance to win this one. I was wrong. I'd like to give some credit to bone who seemed to be one of the very few to give this team a chance.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree ... bone gave us a glimmer of hope in a dark world. I didnt know too many people who gave us any shot

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Sheesh.

3 members like this: OldColdDawg, CapCity Dawg, mgh888
A
Legend
Legend
A
1 thing I forgot to mention: I didn't even watch the game in my garage. I expected a blow out. No sense using the shotgun and air horn - just a waste. I didn't even put on a jersey. Just a Browns sweatshirt.

And, after SF's first drive, I knew what the outcome would be. I was defeated. Just watching the wreck of what was to come.

I'm glad the team, and especially the D, didn't feel that way. And it would've been easy for them to just call it in. They didn't call it in.

Were we lucky to win? Yes. Were the refs poor? yes, but for once they were poor for both teams. Yes, we were lucky to win, no doubt. Our O needs serious help, really.

Were the niners without 2 players? Eh, we were without a starting qb, starting guard, starting running back.

Bottom line, the TEAM won. Don't poo poo that. It was a W, under the rules of the league. We won, they lost.

Now, get healthier, and get better.

3 members like this: lampdogg, FORTBROWNFAN, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
You are right - but I coupled that comment with the "Sorry to all the people here who won't post much this week because the Browns won. Thoughts and prayers." - the two comments together read like a pretty decent poke at other posters. Maybe I miss it but when there are negative posters I don't see them taking a swipe at other positive posters.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
the defensive stats are wild! ... obviously those numbers will come back to earth a bit, but still impressive

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think their kicker knows about the "Dawson flag" that was put up to aid kickers in the tricky wind of Cleveland stadium.

Phil had to be smiling.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Honestly, the glimmer was more like a flicker.

The cards were so stacked against us. The one thing was this defense. The numbers do not lie.

The first game against the Bengals showed me what I had hoped but had not seen.

I knew Woods was playing the wrong scheme for the players on the team. Our corners were man coverage guys. Really good at that.

We are not doing anything special. We are playing a four man front for the most part. The difference is the push. Watch the LOS.

We are moving the LOS backwards. Our front is getting upfield. We are filling with different guys. Sometime JOK. Sometimes Delpit. Walker and Taki are in on the run not fighting guards to make plays. The rush is coming from the whole front. I love it.

What is sad is that Ford and Kareem are nowhere near Nick. KS adapted. He used Hunt in screens. He added power with Harris and TE's to get the space for Ford. Neither Ford nor Hunt have the "go button" Nick has. There were holes I saw that Nick would have exploded through.

In order for the Browns to really be "in it." It is going to take DW. The defense is so good they will continue to give the chance.

But it will come down to DW to put us in contention for any type of deep run.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Someone made a good point ... the Niners were so good when they were still on their script, but as soon as they were off of it and we adjusted ... they were clamped. Hats off to our staff and defense

Along these lines, I was pleasantly surprised that our defense adjusted to be even better and our offense didn't fall off a cliff after the half.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

We were LUCKY.

FWIW, I see it as a blend of the points both of you are trying to make. This defense is LEGIT in that they were able to hold the 9'ers in check almost all game. But while there's no taking that away from them, we also see what can happen when 1 unit has to shoulder the entire burden of getting the win (the D showing a crack or two on a whopping 2 plays to let the 9'ers into FG range for what should've been a makeable kick).

We were lucky to win, but the fact that we were even in the position lends credence to this D being SB-caliber.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
FATE #2035268 10/16/23 02:43 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by FATE

He may not have been as readily discernible because i think he had a face mask on (weather version, not COVID version).

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 19 49ers 17 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard