Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#2035355 10/17/23 09:17 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Trick or treat the trade deadline falls on Halloween.

I wonder what Berry is looking at? Bargains most likely.

Because DW is missing in action. I don't think we really know what this offense as is can do.

The Titan game might be a clue. But until we see a few games more with DW at quarterback playing in this offense. Hard to know what we can do?

Wills is a target because of his play. Elliott is hiding among talent but he is sub par. Goodwin and DPJ have been invisible but we have not had a single presence at qb to gauge that. Tillman and Bell are unknowns.

There are always ways to improve. The question is finding a trade partner where both parties can agree.

Getting Cooper was a steal. I really don't know if there is a target like him that is available.

IMO I don't see what I would like to see from our running backs. Hunt looks to have lost burst. Ford looks average to me. He does not read and explode. I know there is not a Nick replacement. But I think there are backs that could be better than Ford and Hunt.

Dawand Jones has played well IMO. He is going to be a really good tackle. OL is always a place to add because depth becomes important.

It will be interesting to see what we will end up doing.

Legend
Legend
I don't see us messing with the defensive chemistry, so looking at offense: DPJ is a piece to watch ... he's not in our future plans

You wonder if we kick the tires on a Brissett trade? Or another RB that would have some upside

Also, obviously OL, but that's such a sparse area around the league

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I don't see us messing with the defensive chemistry, so looking at offense: DPJ is a piece to watch ... he's not in our future plans

You wonder if we kick the tires on a Brissett trade? Or another RB that would have some upside

Also, obviously OL, but that's such a sparse area around the league

Brissett maybe, but honestly, I don't think we need a RB. We have a decent two headed monster.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'd love to see if Hunt can recapture some of the magic this year. I hope what I've been seeing the past couple weeks is him recapturing some mojo and gaining momentum each week.

I think we may be kicking some tires on some Oline depth. I don't think we're really in a position to swing some huge trade.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Kareem is popular. I understand that. But I am not seeing what he once was.

I am not saying this will happen. But I would inquire about Derrick Henry. He might be available for a decent price. He is not a long term solution but for this year. He could be a real weapon.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think they will look at a RB

As much as they run Moore out of the backfield

Maybe they make Moore a RB and bring in Hardman as another Speedster WR lol

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Moore is not a running back.

He is 5' 10" 180 lbs.

It is obvious from what we have seen so far that he is not suited as a runner out of the backfield.

He is a slot receiver and that is where he should play.

IMO you look everywhere.

Legend
Legend
I'd really look at Brissett ... exchange late round picks. He knows the offense, is much more reliable, good at short yardage, the guys like him, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I would love to get Jacoby back. I doubt Washington would be interested.

This is the time that you look around and see who is up for grabs.

If there is a way to improve the team and it makes sense. You do it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I would just say no to Henry. His best game was this past game. Otherwise he was averaging less than 4.0 yards per carry. The physical style of his game has caught up to him and he's not the same guy he used to be.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
Trick or treat the trade deadline falls on Halloween.

I wonder what Berry is looking at? Bargains most likely.

Because DW is missing in action. I don't think we really know what this offense as is can do.

The Titan game might be a clue. But until we see a few games more with DW at quarterback playing in this offense. Hard to know what we can do?

Wills is a target because of his play. Elliott is hiding among talent but he is sub par. Goodwin and DPJ have been invisible but we have not had a single presence at qb to gauge that. Tillman and Bell are unknowns.

There are always ways to improve. The question is finding a trade partner where both parties can agree.

Getting Cooper was a steal. I really don't know if there is a target like him that is available.

IMO I don't see what I would like to see from our running backs. Hunt looks to have lost burst. Ford looks average to me. He does not read and explode. I know there is not a Nick replacement. But I think there are backs that could be better than Ford and Hunt.

Dawand Jones has played well IMO. He is going to be a really good tackle. OL is always a place to add because depth becomes important.

It will be interesting to see what we will end up doing.

The immediate focus should be on what the Browns can upgrade this year as they push for a playoff position, but I think we would be naive to think that 2024 wouldn't be a part of the equation.

1. I'm in total agreement on Wills. He's not improving (quite the opposite) and his 5th year option is a self-inflected error in judgement. Unloading Wills for peanuts will be fairly easy, finding a replacement is another question. Bolles DEN age 31 - signed through 2024 @ 15.75M in 2024, T. Brown NEP age 30 and final year of contract are options as these teams will probably be unloading players for draft picks and would be an upgrade. Either player could allow the Browns 2-years to permanently address the position either through FA or the draft and would be huge upgrades over Wills - T. Brown - Grade 82.4 rank 4th, Bolles - Grade 72.8 rank 21st, Wills - Grade 50.3 rank 66th. Paying a Bolles make much more sense than paying a Wills.

2. WR is and will be a huge issue at least from what we have seen thus far on the field. Cooper will be entering the final year of his contract at age 30 and most likely will be looking for a big extension this off season. Moore is also entering the final year of his deal in 2024. He's cheap next year and IMHO not lived up to expectations yet but if he does turn it on will he be demanding a new deal too? DPJ is currently in the final year of his deal and looks like he's almost fallen off the face of the earth in the Browns offense. IMHO, I wouldn't expect DPJ to take a hometown discount, so this is a real opening going forward. I haven't seen anything from Tillman, Bell, or Goodwin that makes me think they are the next man up.

3. Nick Chubb, what happened to Nick was horrific and sad. That said, I am very skeptical that Chubb will be ready to go at the start of 2024. That second gruesome injury to the same injured knee does not bode well for a quick recovery. I suspect that Chubb would start the season on IR and not come off before November. The second issue is his 11.775M final year base salary will have a negative bearing on the cap. Whether the Browns address a replacement this year or next, IMHO it will have to be addressed. It may be easier and more cost effective to do it now rather than later but that's for Berry to figure out.

If the Browns sit pat and make no moves, questions will abound as to the direction this team is really heading. Either the Browns are all in or they are not.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
O
Legend
Legend
O
I doubt we'd make any moves, but I do hope Berry is keeping an eye on anything that might be happening in Denver. They could be willing enough to get something done that makes sense for us.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Denver: Bolles would be my wish

B
Legend
Legend
B
Just some thoughts...

Wills..we might want to replace him, but who can we get that is better?

As for DPJ, trade him if we can. I don't know what kind of value he would have around the league.

I wouldn't be surprised if we do nothing.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Sometimes nothing doesn't mean nothing.

You can only look for a trade partner. That does not mean you will find one with what you are seeking.

Or, strike a deal that will make sense for both parties.

If nothing happens that does not mean the Browns are not all in. They are all in. Look at the roster and salaries.

Maybe there is simply no deal to be made.

People point at receiver but I am uncertain. DW has not played enough games with what we have to even know.

In addition the guys on the roster have been here all this season. They are known. They have banked reps with the rest of the team. They know the playbook. They have worked with our quarterbacks.

It would all depend upon who for what? And if it provides a benefit now and in the future.

Replacing Wills sounds great but with whom and at what cost.

I remember vividly when Washington and Trent Williams were at odds. I posted over and over again that we should make a deal to get him. He thought Washington was screwing him. He questioned their medical people. It was clear he would not play for them. I knew he was one of the best tackles in the NFL. I am still pissed we didn't get him. Those types of opportunities don't come often. Tackles like him are gold bars.

Getting Cooper was a rare deal. I don't know what is out there. I do know Berry will turn over every stone.

Legend
Legend
I don't expect any blockbuster sort of trade, at all. Nothing flashy. If anything, I see us bolstering the line, maybe bringing in a RB from a struggling team looking to sell, but mostly, I expect unheralded guys that aren't the names everyone would clamor for, but that we likely scouted hard when they came out of college and have kept a watch on.

For OLine, guys who are good on their feet and move well and would thrive in Callahan's system.
We may already have the guy in Ty Nsekhe that was signed last week.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
I was watching The Ultimate Cleveland Sports Show.

The trade deadline was a topic. There were some deals proposed for discussion.

Apparently Sequon Barkley and the Giants are done. He wants out. The Giants signed him to a one year deal for $11. They will not resign him.

It was proposed on the Show trading a 3rd for him which really would be a rental for the remainder of this year. I don't know about that? A 3rd for a running back who would play for 10 regular season games.

Don't know what he is worth under that condition. Sequon is talented. But he has not been available.

Interesting to think about. He is a home run threat. We could do things with him that Hunt and Ford can't do as well.

I don't know what receivers are available that would make sense?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I want to trade for Moss. I think he would be a huge injection into the offense.

Moss/Hunt would be a decent pair vs Hunt/Ford.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd really look at Brissett ...

I am so onboard with this. I'm OK with DTR as a 3rd stringer, but I don't want to see Walker take the field again. There must be a solid veteran backup QB to be had out there.....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
I want to trade for Moss. I think he would be a huge injection into the offense.

Moss/Hunt would be a decent pair vs Hunt/Ford.

I'd like to see more of Strong Jr first.....

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We should do something to help the O. It would be a shame to waste what we have on D. It's early but we all know we have a talented and well coached D which could be as dominant as any in recent memory.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
We should do something to help the O.

Agreed. With DW's availability being somewhat of an unknown, QB seems to be the most obvious position at this moment.....

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Mary K was on TUCS (the ultimate cleveland show).

She said what she knows. DW is throwing some. He is improving. The vibe is that he will play.

Wednesday is always a big day. The game plan is installed. If he is there throwing even on a limited basis.

It will be a good sign that he will play. She described the injury as a deep contusion to an area in the rotator cuff.

No structural damage. It is about inflammation and range of motion. Can he put velocity into the throws?

We will know a lot more tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ZLHiVux2q1c

Last edited by bonefish; 10/17/23 06:15 PM.
Legend
Legend
and if Watson plays we need him to go into the game as a game manager ... his goal should literally be all field position and no turnovers. That would help him stay healthy and us win the game

2nd String
2nd String
We need 1 decent WR.

JimDawg #2035509 10/17/23 07:09 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I am uncertain about receiver.

We really don't know what we have yet. DW has played 3 games. Tillman and Bell have hardly played.

DPJ has had view passes even thrown his way. Moore the guy we went after has not yet fit in. I don't think we know what our offense even looks like yet.

One game gives us a hint. The Titan game. We clicked. DW has not played since that game.

The two weeks we have before the deadline may provide some answers.

Legend
Legend
and if Watson plays we need him to go into the game as a game manager ... his goal should literally be all field position and no turnovers. That would help him stay healthy and us win the game

That's what Stefanski has to feed him.

I think part of what we're seeing evolve, as far as team identity, is an offense that has been churning it out and keeping fresh legs for the defense.

Memphis posted in another thread showing that we are near the best in the league in avoiding 3-and-outs. Hard to believe, really, with what has gone down at QB. Combine that with winning the TOP battle (by between 10 and 17 minutes in three contests saywhat), and you have an offense that is the yin to Schwartz's yang. And he's got a big yang.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #2035516 10/17/23 07:30 PM
Legend
Legend
good point .. we have to make the defense the identity AND have the offense buy into that too ... let them be our engine

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
Sometimes nothing doesn't mean nothing.

You can only look for a trade partner. That does not mean you will find one with what you are seeking.

Or, strike a deal that will make sense for both parties.

If nothing happens that does not mean the Browns are not all in. They are all in. Look at the roster and salaries.

Maybe there is simply no deal to be made.

People point at receiver but I am uncertain. DW has not played enough games with what we have to even know.

In addition the guys on the roster have been here all this season. They are known. They have banked reps with the rest of the team. They know the playbook. They have worked with our quarterbacks.

It would all depend upon who for what? And if it provides a benefit now and in the future.

Replacing Wills sounds great but with whom and at what cost.

I remember vividly when Washington and Trent Williams were at odds. I posted over and over again that we should make a deal to get him. He thought Washington was screwing him. He questioned their medical people. It was clear he would not play for them. I knew he was one of the best tackles in the NFL. I am still pissed we didn't get him. Those types of opportunities don't come often. Tackles like him are gold bars.

Getting Cooper was a rare deal. I don't know what is out there. I do know Berry will turn over every stone.

We agree Bone. Maybe it's the baseball in us.

First you have to find a willing trade partner, then it has to be a deal everyone feels good about. It has to make sense to both teams. This isn't fantasy where some idiot wants to trade PJ Walker for Tua.

Baseball has more trades because they can trade for prospects. The NFL doesn't have prospects. They have players or draft picks. Baseball doesn't trade for draft picks very often, an even then it is some throw in pick. The pick almost always isn't the purpose of the trade.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Lael Collins is available last I heard, I think we should bring him in for a workout for some OL depth.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by boofers20
Lael Collins is available last I heard, I think we should bring him in for a workout for some OL depth.

Replace who?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Replace who?

depth. we just lost another OL

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Replace who?

depth. we just lost another OL

Who?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Michael Dunn went on IR with a calf injury but since Jedrick Wills is a liability then Collins might be a better replacement

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
For all Wills mediocrity, Collins is not a better replacement

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Trades in baseball are a huge part of every season. Organizational structure is way different. There are no Minor leagues in football. Contracts are different.

GM's in football cherish draft picks.

Football trades can be spawned by disputes. Signing extensions can cause problems. Straight up trades are more difficult.

Berry has shown a propensity for trades. This will be interesting. I have no clue who he will find for a trade partner. Cooper was a monster deal for the Browns.

M
Legend
Legend
M

He doesn't give more info than the headline but perhaps DPJ could be a piece to move?

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
no doubt .. his time here is nearly over. Anything we can get for him is a bonus

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
AFC North trade targets: Why Browns should reunite with former QB

Story by Aaron Becker, Yardbarker •
2h
link

Major questions continue to surround QB Deshaun Watson as he deals with a shoulder injury that has kept him sidelined since Week 4. Head coach Kevin Stefanski says Watson is still "day-to-day," but there seems to be less confidence in the $230M quarterback every week.

This is why the Browns should consider reuniting with Brissett, who started 11 games with the team in 2022. His 4-7 record wasn't flashy, but Cleveland's defense, which ranks as the best in total yards allowed per game (200.4) and the fifth-best team in points allowed per game (15.4), is championship caliber.

The Commanders (3-3) seem to be all in on second-year QB Sam Howell, at least for the remainder of the season, and the Browns need better quarterback play. Backup QB P.J. Walker threw for 192 yards and two interceptions in Week 6, and rookie QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson threw for 121 yards and three interceptions in Week 4. Brissett would bring the insurance at quarterback that Cleveland is missing.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
Legend
Legend
totally agree .. a QB room of Watson-Brissett-Walker would make me feel better ... not to mention our short yardage stuff would be so much better

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Trade Deadline

Link Copied to Clipboard