Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The big difference is Stefanski was able to take the roster Dorsey handed him and take the Browns to the playoffs. He hasn't been able to replicate that with the player turnover and roster Berry has given him since. So maybe people should think about what the real problem is here.

Dorsey sucked at hiring coaches. But no matter how anyone slices it, he put together a roster Stefanski could win with.

Which is pretty much my point. Stefanski isn’t a great coach but he atleast proved he can get a team to the playoffs. Berry hasnt proven he can do anything but spend money in FA, which is fine as long as it’s complimentary to the draft. Had we kept Dorsey and had stefanski id venture a guess we would have prob made the playoffs most of these last few years, even with Baker. I don’t think Dorsey would have given the draft capital to get Watson. I think he would have drafted a replacement if the consensus was to move on from baker. A good personnel guy don’t squander that much draft capital that’s mired in drama and uncertainty. It’s a kiss of death when it plays out like it has. For everyone involved let’s hope Watson turns it on

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by steve0255
Haven't seen that from Watson since 2020 either.....just saying!

I don't disagree. I disliked, well more than disliked the trade form the very beginning for multiple reasons. I did see flashes of it in the Titans game.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
It certainly appears as of now that this is the second wasted year of a five year deal with watson. Even if he returns next year to his former form they will get 60% of what they paid for. One possible bit of luck is that after the 49'ers they have the Colts, Seahawks and Cardinals coming next on the schedule.

But as it currently stands the odds of them getting a good return on the watson investment isn't looking like a solid bet.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by steve0255
Haven't seen that from Watson since 2020 either.....just saying!

I don't disagree. I disliked, well more than disliked the trade form the very beginning for multiple reasons. I did see flashes of it in the Titans game.

Excuse my candor, but Watson isn't, wasn't, hasn't been paid or given that ridiculous fully guaranteed contract for flashes against a bottom tier team. Now he's missed 3-weeks so the excuse train about rust and lack of work for timing will be flying. If he ever does get up to speed, I suspect it will most likely be after the Browns are eliminated in mean nothing games much like his 2020 driven results.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
I've already posted elsewhere on the board that as of now it appears that two years of his five year contract have been a waste and at best the Browns will only get 60% of what they paid for in that contract. And that's if watson doesn't go off the rails here like he did in Houston. It was huge risk and I don't see it paying off. I'm certainly not one that's going to make excuses for watson or how this trade has worked out. If I had things my way that trade would have never been made in the first place. But here we are. Please see my sig. if you have any doubts about that.

I took a TON of grief over that sig. for a long time. Not so much anymore.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Floquinho
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
DITO

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Hello Browns fans!
I’m new an I just want to see our team win 🏆!
That being said, I believe it’s all about the money, which in my opinion started along time ago!
It’s the way things are an we as fans can’t do anything about it except buy into the BS they are giving us!
On paper we are as good as any team out there, but we’re not the Team they want to win it all!
Your guess is as good as mine who’s next to win it all!
Cheers!!!

Legend
Legend
a concern of mine: the Colts/Seahawks/Cardinals stretch looks tougher now than it did a month ago. Indy and Seattle are basically pick'ems and the Cards are feisty

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Rishuz #2034157 10/15/23 03:39 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
But you should be angry with him as well. His immaturity and lack of progress is why the team moved on. Both of those were under his control.

I agree 100% - I don't know if 'angry' is the right word. But I blame / hold him accountable for his immaturity and was disappointed. Frustrated and pissed might be a better expression than 'angry' - though at that point we're splitting hairs.

We've discussed it before - I'll root for him because of the reasons I gave. My opinion of his ceiling is much higher than yours ever was and I bought into the 'excuses' for his worst performances as a Brown and in CLT and under Rhule he had zero chance. And yes - frustrated and blame him for his immaturity issues that made everything harder and eventually was the root cause of his departuture from CLE - in hindsight after the Steelers game his departure was inevitable ... if we'd gone and got Carr or one of the promising QB's in the draft then it might have been the best thing for the Browns. Considering what we gave up for Watson and his performance to date - it looks like we made bad decisions about how to replace him.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #2035272 10/16/23 02:49 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Just some general comments concerning Stefanski's immediate future as the Browns OC...

While we feel good about the win yesterday, Stefanski's offense has a lot of work to do if they are going to be ready for the game at Indy next Sunday.

The Browns are approaching a point in the schedule where they will have an opportunity to stack some wins at the Colts this week, then at Seattle and home for the Cards before going to the Ravens. Hopefully Stefanski will take advantage of this upcoming opportunity.

The offense is still lagging but they can make this work if everyone builds upon the 9ers win.

Last edited by mac; 10/16/23 02:50 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Kevin Stephanski, who I have just read get bashed over and over, just beat the #1 team in the NFL with two back ups on the Oline, back up running back, and a practice squad QB.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
mac #2035298 10/16/23 06:39 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
Just some general comments concerning Stefanski's immediate future as the Browns OC...

While we feel good about the win yesterday, Stefanski's offense has a lot of work to do if they are going to be ready for the game at Indy next Sunday.

The Browns are approaching a point in the schedule where they will have an opportunity to stack some wins at the Colts this week, then at Seattle and home for the Cards before going to the Ravens. Hopefully Stefanski will take advantage of this upcoming opportunity.

The offense is still lagging but they can make this work if everyone builds upon the 9ers win.

Right, but it doesn't hurt anything if you aren't starting a 3rd, maybe 2nd string QB. That is a factor that can impede the process.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
the good news about our O: we seemed to figure a bit out in the run game yesterday. Gaining 160 yards vs SF is tough, but we gained some steam

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Just going by memory, we seemed to open holes between the tackles, running straight at them. A buck sixty against the 49er defence is impressive.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
yeah we started going off tackle and pin/pulling the edges .. really used their technique against them (pinning the DE's inside, much like they were doing to us in the first half with CMC)

L
Legend
Legend
L
I noticed yesterday against SF that Stefanski was pissed at the refs at times, running his mouth. Good to see that 🔥

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
especially the one time that was a tricky tack DPI on us that extended a drive

mac #2035410 10/17/23 11:53 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think one has to consider that the Browns putting up 19 points against the 9er's D is nothing to sneeze at. Out of six games the 9er's have played, that's the second most points scored against them this season. All done with no Chubb and an XFL QB.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Says something for taking your 3 points when given the opportunity, imo.

That's easier to do when you know your defense can hold it's own against the best.

Edit to add: Also easier when you know your kicker doesn't kick like he's blindfolded.

Last edited by FATE; 10/17/23 02:02 PM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #2035451 10/17/23 02:08 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree on all counts. How you make the call on taking the FG verses going for it on 4th down should certainly take all of the circumstances around you into consideration and is a critical part of the decision making process.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think one has to consider that the Browns putting up 19 points against the 9er's D is nothing to sneeze at. Out of six games the 9er's have played, that's the second most points scored against them this season. All done with no Chubb and an XFL QB.

....and let's not forget the Njoku TD that was called back. Elves could have dropped 25,26 on them.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ouch.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Ouch.

Not for us.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: dawglover05, oobernoober
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

no wonder pukesburgh is calling for Canada's head.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B

We have an XFL QB?? Walker is in the NFL.

He may have been in the XFL...I don't know one way or the other, but he is in the NFL and has played in the NFL. We don't have an XFL player on our roster.

Why do you keep saying that?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
That is an interesting chart.

Mainly because the offense has had one productive game.

We really don't know what this offense can do. Nick is gone. DW has missed two games.

Until we play more games with a starting qb in place for a stretch of games. We don't know what the offense can do.

What we do know is that the defense is for real. Defenses typically do not slump.

This defense has gain courage. There is no doubt whatsoever that the players on defense believe in what they are doing and can do.

They are confident.

If the offense can gain that type of confidence. the sky is the limit.

2 members like this: Homewood Dog, Day of the Dawg
O
Legend
Legend
O
The chart really muddies the water in the KS debate. You look at that through the lens of missing Chubb, parts of your Oline and now DW. Our place on that list could actually be lower than it should considering the circumstances going into the Ravens game (one could argue).

There are things going on in the offense that you can look at and hang your hat on. The question remains, however, why aren't we translating that into points/wins?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
Kevin Stephanski, who I have just read get bashed over and over, just beat the #1 team in the NFL with two back ups on the Oline, back up running back, and a practice squad QB.

You mean Jim Swartz Defense just beat the number 1 team. Despite horrific time management and play calls in the final 3 minutes. Don’t forget a missed FG that was as close to routine as they come.

Stefanski had very little to do with that win.

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
As last season came to an end, KS and his consistency was a major point of conversation.

No doubt he has been serviceable, but with the roster he has had, he should have had more victories. Of course he has more wins than any other coach since 99. Doubt it is even close. How many coaches won more than 4 games in multiple seasons?

I have seen the excuses and the blame on here and other platforms. Again my assessment is not personal but result driven. KS gets out-coached consistently in games. The difference this year is we have atop tier D & DC. Period!!!!!!!! This gives KS a bit of a cushion.

He has not improved in crucial moments in game. This point was driven home during the 49ers W. Why in the F#CK is Walker throwing the ball when we are already in FG range??????

The Browns especially KS were very lucky that pass was not an interception in the end zone. There were 3 times after the Ford 1st down that put the Browns on the Niners side of the field, very near FG range that calls were called that resulted in the clock stopping.

Had that pass been picked off, would all you defenders still be as supportive?
Last season many of us liked KS but most agreed he needed to be better in some key situations. He has not improved in those situations IMHO.

It is unfortunate that Chubb is out, but the combo of Hunt & Ford has been more consistent than Watson when he did play. I do feel that opposing Defenses have a good idea what is coming just from our formation & personnel. That probably has more to do with our OL struggles than anything else. If wins can not be stacked and the playoffs are not made KS will be fired. No Excuses.

If this team does not find an offensive groove and it is the D that is responsible for a playoff spot. KS may and probably should be fired still.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
We have an XFL QB?? Walker is in the NFL.

He may have been in the XFL...I don't know one way or the other, but he is in the NFL and has played in the NFL. We don't have an XFL player on our roster.

Why do you keep saying that?

Revisiting PJ Walker's XFL stats, career: How QB turned spring-league success into Panthers contract

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...nthers-contract/fchixk14cbhmntqnozk4wfn6

I was born in Ohio. Just because I live in Tennessee now doesn't mean that I'm from Tennessee.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by DawgPound75
As last season came to an end, KS and his consistency was a major point of conversation.

No doubt he has been serviceable, but with the roster he has had, he should have had more victories. Of course he has more wins than any other coach since 99. Doubt it is even close. How many coaches won more than 4 games in multiple seasons?

I have seen the excuses and the blame on here and other platforms. Again my assessment is not personal but result driven. KS gets out-coached consistently in games. The difference this year is we have atop tier D & DC. Period!!!!!!!! This gives KS a bit of a cushion.

He has not improved in crucial moments in game. This point was driven home during the 49ers W. Why in the F#CK is Walker throwing the ball when we are already in FG range??????

The Browns especially KS were very lucky that pass was not an interception in the end zone. There were 3 times after the Ford 1st down that put the Browns on the Niners side of the field, very near FG range that calls were called that resulted in the clock stopping.

Last season many of us liked KS but most agreed he needed to be better in some key situations. He has not improved in those situations IMHO.

It is unfortunate that Chubb is out, but the combo of Hunt & Ford has been more consistent than Watson when he did play. I do feel that opposing Defenses have a good idea what is coming just from our formation & personnel. That probably has more to do with our OL struggles than anything else. If wins can not be stacked and the playoffs are not made KS will be fired. No Excuses.

If this team does not find an offensive groove and it is the D that is responsible for a playoff spot. KS may and probably should be fired still.

rofl

2 members like this: MemphisBrownie, FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Unfortunately, our replacement QBs have made quite a few boneheaded decisions that high school JV QBs should know better than to make. Clearly, Walker should have scrambled into the wide open grass in front of him instead of tossing one up into coverage.

If the pass had been picked off, I'd have been upset with Walker. I was upset that he threw it. PJ had 341 rushing attempts and 9 rushing TDs in college. He can use his legs. He started 4 years at Temple, in the XFL, and had started games in the NFL. He should and likely does know better than to throw that ball.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O

By all accounts (except for the 2 people involved, so FWIW) PJ was supposed to take a look and then run/slide if nothing was there. The throw was a bad decision on the QB.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
The play was a pass play.
Worst case INT.
Incomplete pass. Not as bad but the clock stopped.

How about not give him the option to throw in that situation???????
This is a situation where he thought he could be cute. If Watson or a veteran QB was in there, I would give him a bit of a break. But in that situation with the personnel and his history of trying to outsmart the other team with very little success, I think he is ruining himself out of town.

These are the in game situations that many of us are talking about.
99% of the time the Browns find ways to lose those games.

If you are not willing to give Swartz and his D credit for that W, I do not know what to say.

Also, if Swartz was not here KS seat would be much hotter.

I would love to see Stefanski improve. I just don’t think it is going to happen.

Do those of you who think he is doing a great job believe he should be back if the Browns miss the playoffs again?

Many of us didn’t think he deserved another vance this year, but understood why he was brought back but hoped he would have improve upon his in game management. Thus far he has not.

If we loose 2 of the next 3 which is possible, how many excuses will those of you have ready?

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
The bottom line is this…………

In order for the Browns to reach their goals and to win playoff games, Kevin Stefanski has to be better.

As do the players, but it starts with him.

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
I hope you have not defended Stefanski using the injury excuse.

Because if you have, this is very hypocritical.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, losing two of your biggest offensive weapons is nothing more than an excuse. Why would anyone do that? That's why the 9er's offense looked just as good after McCafree and Deebo were injured.

And the Browns still managed to score more points than 5 of the 9er's 6 opponents this season.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
The play was a pass play.
Worst case INT.
Incomplete pass. Not as bad but the clock stopped.

How about not give him the option to throw in that situation???????
This is a situation where he thought he could be cute. If Watson or a veteran QB was in there, I would give him a bit of a break. But in that situation with the personnel and his history of trying to outsmart the other team with very little success, I think he is ruining himself out of town.

We were well within FG range and had a down we could sacrifice. Defense was keying on stopping the run as the Browns had the FG and were looking to burn the clock down as much as possible. The FG put us up by 2, but a TD would've forced the 9ers to have to score a TD on their final drive. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to catch the D by surprise for a TD when a sack or no-gain doesn't hurt you (doesn't knock you out of FG range). The problem was that Walker decided to try to make a hero throw. The TV talking heads even said as much... he should've taken a quick look for an easy throw and if he saw nothing then made sure he ended up on the ground with the ball.

The probability (by far) is that Walker made a bad decision to throw even though that wasn't what was asked.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Hammer
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kevin Stefanski

Link Copied to Clipboard