Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by The Collector

That does not look like a legit source/site to me.

The first call was 100% spot on. It put the Browns on the 8 yard line I believe.

The second call I do agree was uncatchable - but even if it's not PI it is holding, which does not require the ball to be catchable. It wouldn't put the Browns on the 1 yard line, it would have been half the distance to the GL and been 1st and goal from the 4.

on the second penalty - During the live commentary Archuleta said he thought it was both players were grabby but that's not it at all and on part of the subsequent discussion someone even mentioned the holding. The CB has our WR's arm and is tugging on it. It's holding by any and all definitions.

Last edited by mgh888; 10/23/23 05:03 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
2 members like this: Halfback32, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Originally Posted by Psydeffect
Just imagine the difference of record sticking with York versus DHop right now? Scarey thought isn't it.

Yet most on here give little credit for the FO going out and making that deal. I did notice a poster earlier giving kudos for the move.

It was a good move. The issue is York was so bad the move doesn't really deserve an awful lot of credit as if this was some sort of coup.... it was a no-brainer that most everyone was saying had to happen. Hopkins (thankfully) was available and the best option out there.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Milk Man

I wasn't going to comment until I had read the entire thread but had to comment on this one.

The thought on Hopkins was he had somewhat limited distance. I don't know where that came from because I am not seeing it. That kick from 58 yards looked like it could have made it from 63 yards. Unless people expect a kicker to nail 70 yard kicks, DH doesn't lack distance.

The biggest question I have on him is why was he even available?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Great that we got the win. As I posted above - I don't think we were lucky with the penalties at the end of the game, both penalties were deserved.

I'm happy we won, happy Myles played out of his gourd to create a couple of game chaning plays and while he did have a couple of penalties that's been a consistent through most of his career. He's either outstanding at guessing the snap or lucky - but he has been flagged for encroachment 'frequently' .... if that's the price you pay for 82 sacks and beating Reggie White's record of the number of sacks before age 28, so be it. I might be most happy that we finally have a kicker - and dude deserves a bonus.

I'm concerned about a couple of things in the game.

Watson - either he wasn't healthy as some have suggested: In which case there are truly serious questions to be raised on KS for playing him. Or he was healthy up to the point at which he left the game and we have continued concerns over his level of play. I don't see a middle ground where somehow we shouldn't talk about either side of that coin.

More Watson - the situation, the comments by Stefanski, the way DW carried hmself the rest of the game. Either confusing or concerning or both.

PJ Walker - did not look good. Aparently took no first team snaps for the two days prior to the game. Again - serious questions about heading into a season with a talent laden roster expecting to challenge for the Division/play offs. DTR is your back up based on a couple stand out preseason games against players no longer in the NFL ... PJ Walker is your 3rd option and is not good and not getting groomed to be given a chance if he does get called upon. Serious questions about Berry/KS to use those two as your options behiind DW. Questionable at best decision not to prep PJ knowing DW is trying to come back from an injury.

On the defense - I 'm not going to stress over 1 game. If we give up multiple 75 yard TD drives next game maybe we'll have something to discuss. They made some big plays that helped win the game as well as giving up some of those drives. I thought Minshew played a great game - if we had QB play like that we'd have wiped the floor with them.

Play calling - I had no problem with the pitch out that went wrong, I thought KS got a little too pass happy for a little while in the 3rd Q but after the PJ interception it got a little more balanced again. At the end of the game - 1st and 1 yard with 45 seconds left on the clock. . . . I would have liked to have seen a run or QB sneak on 1st down. You have enough time to run and get set again if it gets stuffed.... you'd have at least 20-25 seconds on the clock to call 3 more plays. Having said that the pass to Njoku was a phenominal defensive play punching the ball out to prevent the td. . . the shovel pass was there and was dropped . . . I don't remember the 3rd pass before Hunt ran it in. But having seen PJ struggle, knowing he didn't get 1st team reps for 2 days, I think a run on first down would have been the smartest call personally.

On to Seattle. Maybe we'll get more answers.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by The Collector

That does not look like a legit source/site to me.

The first call was 100% spot on. It put the Browns on the 8 yard line I believe.

The second call I do agree was uncatchable - but even if it's not PI it is holding, which does not require the ball to be catchable. It wouldn't put the Browns on the 1 yard line, it would have been half the distance to the GL and been 1st and goal from the 4.

on the second penalty - During the live commentary Archuleta said he thought it was both players were grabby but that's not it at all and on part of the subsequent discussion someone even mentioned the holding. The CB has our WR's arm and is tugging on it. It's holding by any and all definitions.

A lot of this guys articles are nothing more than finding fan tweets. Both calls were legit, and like you said....even if the PI play was an uncatchable pass, it was obvious holding.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
The PI was the right call. The holding threw off the timing of the play and PJ was just putting out of the endzone.

As for play calling I think the handoff to Ford was a bad play call. At least until he broke it for a long TD run. My point is it is easy to say a play was a bad call when we know the play didn't work.

We scored enough points to win the game. That is good enough for me.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I wasn't going to comment until I had read the entire thread but had to comment on this one.

The thought on Hopkins was he had somewhat limited distance. I don't know where that came from because I am not seeing it. That kick from 58 yards looked like it could have made it from 63 yards. Unless people expect a kicker to nail 70 yard kicks, DH doesn't lack distance.

The biggest question I have on him is why was he even available?
Yeah, when we got him, most people said "he's good from 45 and in" ... which I was cool with because we needed a solid kicker who could be relied upon to stabilize the position

A month later and the guy is making 50+ yarders to help with victories ... that's a good way to live

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Jake Trotter
@Jake_Trotter
ยท
8m
#Browns efficiency rankings:
Offense: 31
Defense: 1
Special teams: 2

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
- A win is a win. Yes, people will talk about those last two calls against the Colts. How many times have we lost games because of those kind of calls? Or ones much, much, worse. I am not apologizing for it, we've been on the wrong end of these games. A lot.

- Watson was not ready.

- Before this game our D has been steady and smothering. Just not allowing first downs, etc. This one was different. They were scorched for big plays, but then made big plays. Nice to see the forced turnovers.

- The blocked FG was unreal. Would have liked to see the expression on the kicker's face when he noticed Myles standing there on the wrong side of his line.

- There was some noise this past off-season that Cade York's issues were because of the holder. I'm thinking that is not the case.

- Haven't bothered to look at the numbers for the Chargers kicker. Wonder how the guy who beat Hopkins for the job is panning out.

- Would really like to see less of Bryant trying to block.

- An ugly win is a win. Onward.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by tastybrownies
Gardner Minshew! 0-8 in games with 300 yards or more passing!

That is insane.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
For the second week in a row, this felt like the type of game the Browns lose at the last minute in past years but are able to come through and find a way to win. From top to bottom, this team doesn't seem to give up and found a way to win at the last moment. I think this speaks volumes for a team with poor QB play overall on the season.

- PJ Walker is baaaaaad. There is just no way around it. I appreciate the ability to drive the the field with a little help from penalties, but he ain't it if Watson is going to sit for an extended amount of games.

- Tough to gauge the defensive performance after giving up so many points and big plays yet making big plays themselves to keep the team in the game. There was poor tackling, miscommunication, and at least in the first half, played the clichรฉ "uninspired' football. Myles Garrett is absolutely amazing. The DL has such a nice rotation of talent to keep legs fresh towards the end of the game. Maybe someone has this information but it seemed to me that the defense played more zone than man yesterday. Obviously, I couldn't tell every play but it would be interesting to know. The run defense is something to watch moving forward and Indy was pretty much able to move the ball at will. We stopped them towards the end, but their two-headed monster of Taylor and Moss did well.

- Something is up with Watson, clearly. There were a ton of run calls that seemed inconsistent with Watson being on the field and felt the team saw something wrong after a couple of throws. If I had to speculate, Watson is telling coaches and doctors that he is more ready/healthy than he actually is because he wants to play. And probably, the FO & Stefanski wanted to believe him more than they probably should because he is by far the best option and they've seen Walker and DTR play thus far....which was ugly. Once Stefanski saw him throw a few passes, he saw enough. So in the sense that Stefanski said he was protecting Watson, I believe him when he said that. He was protecting Watson from himself and not keeping him out there if he wasn't fully ready to go. I think the same things applies this week....another week of monitoring his healing process and will go week-to-week. I, personally, don't think they will put him on IR.

- If Walker starts, it will be another though go against Seattle.

Seattle -2.5
Over/Under 40.5

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I don't expect Walker to start ... just a hunch, but it will be either Watson or someone else we can find

Walker has been admirable to step in, but the last two wins have been pretty flukey with such a bad offense

Playing at Seattle is a different challenge than Indy ... their offense is good and they have a tough environment

M
Legend
Legend
M
PSA: In a few minutes, Aditi Kinkhabwala (sideline reporter from yesterday's game) will be on 92.3 The Fan. She basically was monitoring Watson all game long and probably has additional insight from what she saw.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
thanks Memphis ... can anyone provide a few updates from the interview?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

I'm sure the station will on twitter for people to share.

Tackles are tackles.
Rookie
Rookie
One thing that I don't think is getting talked about enough is the last 2 minutes of the first have .. We scored 10 points in about a minute and twenty seconds . I don't know how many times we have been on the other side of that .

2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

I'm sure the station will on twitter for people to share.
okay thanks

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by 79Jacketdog
One thing that I don't think is getting talked about enough is the last 2 minutes of the first have .. We scored 10 points in about a minute and twenty seconds . I don't know how many times we have been on the other side of that .
good point. That's a huge reason we won the game. We ended both halves so strongly. And the first half was perfect management on our end

M
Legend
Legend
M
In short, there was nothing new or earth shattering.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
lol okay thanks bud

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by 79Jacketdog

Yes, the last minutes of each half was the difference in the game. That is coaching. Kevin Stefanski deserves the credit here. 10 points end of half and 7 end of game. That is coaching.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
and when we were up 24-21 (maybe 1:30 left) they had the ball and we dropped them for a loss on 1st down ... we called a timeout, which was kind of risky and could have backfired

that was a really nice coaching move that allowed us the chance to go up 27-21 at half

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
haha that is WILD

Legend
Legend
I have no idea what this is and can't really decipher from any of the comments.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

I finished watching a replay of the game late last night and came away thinking "how lucky" could the Browns be..to do just enough to win the game vs Colts.

The Browns defense was horrible at times with our LBs disappearing and our DBs looking like they were afraid to tackle...Schwartz's defense got exposed big time, giving up 456 yds of offense to the Colts playing with their backup QB.

The only bright spot on defense was the Browns DLine.

The Browns have a QB problem attempting to play with a QB who seems to made of glass. Watson is broken and just a shell of what he used to be. He is out of shape physically and mentally, Watson looks confused and lost.

The Browns front office DID NOT plan for a worst case scenario at QB as they spent the off-season dreaming of the Watson who played for the Texans in 2020 and passed for over 4800 yds and passed for 33 TDs in 2020. I don't know where the 2020 Deshaun Watson went, but it appears that his game is gone.

Berry, Stefanski, Haslam and others, did not plan for "reality" and the Watson we see today as they booted all their backup QBs preferring to hand the backup duties to a Rookie, DTR. The first QB Berry gave the "boot to" was the perfect backup for the Browns, Jacoby Brissett...an experienced veteran who had already proven that he has the talent to step in and take over if the Browns should have a problem with Watson.

But, ANDY BERRY did not recognize the true value that Brissett could have added to the offense if a WORST CASE SCENARIO occurred...such as Watson being injured and broken. That decision (and judgement) by Berry was a huge mistake and could end up costing the Browns a legitimate shot at the playoffs. There are stories that Berry has attempted to get Brissett back but the Commanders won't let him go.

It's great to see the Browns win these last two games but Berry and Stefanski must find a QB capable of leading the offense to the playoffs.

Thank goodness the Browns have Myles Garrett and Dustin Hopkins...both came to play yesterday and turned in outstanding performances.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
you bring up a good point about Watson's shape. He is not anywhere near the athlete he was 2-3 years ago, and you can see him struggle with it. He relied so heavily on his legs and eluding the rush that he could extend plays and find open receivers.

with his tenure here, he's much slower and it makes his eyes drop down to look at the rushers ... he's simply got heavier legs and slower eyes

FATE #2037374 10/23/23 11:06 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by FATE

The dude predicted wins/losses before the season and got shade thrown at him from every angle. It appears it was justified, because if you look closely at whether he selected W/L in the background, he was wrong on literally every single W/L that he predicted so far.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by dawglover05

The dude predicted wins/losses before the season and got shade thrown at him from every angle. It appears it was justified, because if you look closely at whether he selected W/L in the background, he was wrong on literally every single W/L that he predicted so far.
yeah, he is literally 0-6 haha ... I could see him picking us to be 6-11, but the ones he picked us to win/lose were awful

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Please tell me you or someone tagged Old Takes Exposed on that, Memphis.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
FATE #2037381 10/23/23 11:22 AM
Legend
Legend

Dude is a perfect 0-6 in picking the Browns games this year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Ahhh... thanks guys, I should have been able to figure that out. Somehow, the three different colors of the W's and L's threw me. He's gotta be catching some grief from Browns fans lol.

Sadly, he'd probably still beat me in the pick 'ems.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
JOK was conspicuously absent for a large part of the game today. Tony Fields took his snaps. Would like to hear more about this.

Are you sure? I thought Fields was filling in for Takitaki since he was out with a hammy. When Fields got hurt it was Adams who came in for him.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I just checked the snap counts. Fields and JOK played 46% and 49%of the snaps with McLeod playing 20%

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Milk Man
Legend
Legend
An interesting collection of data on Watson from his Situational Stats on NFL.com.
I went there to see how this year stacks up against what he used to be and in the process stumbled on this bit of data

https://www.nfl.com/players/deshaun-watson/stats/situational/

When playing from behind, regardless of by how much, he has a passer rating of 81.7, no INTs, and a 30% 1st Down rate, but his completion rate is barely above 50%.

When playing a tied game, however, his passer rating plummets to 55.4, with 2 INT, and the 1st Down rate drops to 25%, but, oddly, his completion rate is 62.5%.
When Tied or Behind, he's hitting only 5.3 Avg Yds and averages 4 Sacks

When playing with a Lead:

Lead 1-8 Pts: Passer Rating is 64.5, 1 INT, 28.5% 1st down rate, 56.4% completion rate, 6.3 Avg Yds
Lead 9+ Pts: Rating is 140.6, 0 INT, 50% 1st down rate, 75% completion rate, 8.8 Avg Yds
When playing with a lead, his Sack average drops to 2 or less

Just looking at these numbers, I think the dude is playing WAAAAY too tight and doesn't play well until/unless there is no pressure.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Additionally, his rating is in the tank for his first 10 passes, but it goes up the more attempts he takes.
He is also really good in both red zones, but between the 20's, he's borderline atrocious.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
thanks for those stats Prp. Watson has said that he's historically a slow starter (and maybe he means in single games too). It would be nice to give him a few series to get his feet wet, although I'm not sure we are in position to waste that many ... especially if it's a Seattle, Baltimore, Pittsburgh etc

Legend
Legend
PFF CLE Browns
@PFF_Browns
Dawand Jones vs the Colts

40 pass blocking snaps
1 pressure allowed
0 sacks allowed

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
Camryn Justice
@camijustice
ยท
2m
#Browns Kevin Stefanski said they'll continue taking Deshaun Watson's shoulder injury day to day.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Please tell me you or someone tagged Old Takes Exposed on that, Memphis.

Not me....yet. I'll wait a few more weeks.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 39 Colts 38 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard