Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
...they've won the first two, and could win the third as well. I thought I was a pessimist.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would like to see us trade for Dallas backup Qb Cooper Rush

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Cleveland Browns: Trade Rumor Floats Around Quarterback Deshaun Watson After Recent Report

By Jordan SiglerOctober 26, 2023
link

A trade rumor is floating around Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson in Week 8 following an intriguing report by NBC Sports’ Mike Florio. The Browns gave up three first-round picks for Watson in the 2022 offseason. The 28-year-old quarterback signed a five-year deal worth $230 million in 2022.

The Browns haven’t gotten their money’s worth yet. Watson didn’t look himself last season when he came back from suspension. He’s struggled with injuries and has only played in four games this season, and had to leave their Week 7 game after only passing the ball five times.

The Cleveland Browns are winning with a backup QB

Watson’s play has not been good this season, either. He’s completing just 61.7 percent of his passes and has thrown four touchdowns to three interceptions. Despite the Watson situation, the Browns are 4-2 and have won two straight games, including an upset of the San Francisco 49ers, with backup quarterback P.J. Walker leading the team.

Watson’s absence in the previous few weeks has confused fans and pundits. Florio is reporting Browns players thought Watson would play against the Baltimore Ravens in Week 4 when he was medically cleared to play. Watson did not play in the 28-3 blowout loss to the Ravens.

Watson didn’t play the following week against the 49ers, and he played a handful of snaps before leaving the Colts game after suffering a brutal hit. Watson has already been ruled out for Week 8.

Ian Rapoport with the NFL Network said the nature of Watson’s injury, a rotator cuff strain, is a four-to-six-week injury. Rapoport doesn’t think Watson’s absence since the Ravens contest is out of bounds for that type of injury.

Would the Browns trade Deshaun Watson?

However, Florio isn’t so sure there isn’t another reason Watson isn’t suiting up Sunday. Florio pointed to examples of Watson playing injured Clemson and with the Houston Texans. Watson even rode a bus to play for the Texans because he couldn’t travel by plane with a rib injury.

Florio wrote Watson might want out of Clevland and thinks the Browns could shop Watson before the trade deadline:

“That said, it would be naive to not at least wonder whether Watson has fallen out of love with the Browns. He wanted out of Houston just a few months after signing a big-money extension. Also, the Browns were the first team Watson scratched from his list of four finalists in 2022, before the Browns offered a five-year, fully-guaranteed contract.

So, yes, there’s a weird vibe. Neither the team nor Watson have said or done anything to change the situation. And we’ll continue to monitor things and generally to sniff around about whether the honeymoon has devolved into a standoff that, frankly, leaves both sides with few good options, given that Watson is due to make $46 million in 2023, in 2024, and in 2025, with every penny of it fully guaranteed.

It’s almost enough to make us wonder whether a surprise trade could happen before next Tuesday. At this point, however, who would take on the balance of that contract?”

Woah…The Browns still haven’t paid off their trade to the Texans for Watson. They still owe Houston a 2024 first-round pick. With Watson’s recent play and injuries, what would another team be willing to give up in return for the former first-round pick?

More importantly, that guaranteed salary is another issue for a player who will come to a new franchise and fanbase with baggage for off-the-field and now-on-the-field reasons.

The Browns and Watson might not want each other now, but they’re stuck.

Sports news for 10/26/23L

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #2038098 10/27/23 06:58 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Maybe I am wrong but I find this type of "reporting" offensive.

Unless there is verified information from a reliable source I think this is total BS.

Why on earth would DW want out of Cleveland? He already has a dark cloud over his head. Trying to get away from an owner and team that has gone all out for him?

That makes no sense. He is trying to rebuild his reputation. The team has been nothing but supportive. He is guaranteed the money. There has been zero friction between the coaches and teammates.

There may be a trade in the works but it is not DW IMO. First off who is going to take on his contract? No team is more vested in a player than the Browns are.

I think this is irresponsible. Florio is barking for attention.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Deshaun Watson clarifies injury situation

Tayyib Abu1 hour ago2 min read
link

Deshaun Watson finally breaks his silence on ongoing injury
Quarterback Deshaun Watson has explained his story regarding a mysterious shoulder injury.

Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson finally came out and explained the situation surrounding his shoulder injury. The $230 million quarterback has seen his 2023 season plagued with an injury. Watson missed the week four game against the Baltimore Ravens and then sat out against the San Francisco 49ers following Cleveland's bye week.

At the time, the Browns were awfully secretive with the media. NFL insiders hinted that Watson was fit to play. However, he continued to spend time on the sidelines. Moreover, Cleveland refused to make Watson available for post-practice interviews.

Last Sunday, the story took another bizarre turn. After three weeks on the sideline, Watson returned to the starting lineup. However, the veteran quarterback left the game with another injury. At the time, some speculated if it was a concussion. Cleveland confirmed it was not a concussion but a shoulder problem reoccurrence.

This week, the Browns confirmed that Watson would miss Sunday's game against the Seattle Seahawks due to the injury's flare-up. Fans and media pundits have hit out at Cleveland and Watson; some ex-players have questioned whether Watson wants to play.

Watson finally broke his media silence and provided his perspective. Watson said, "Why wouldn't I want to play? I've worked my ass off for two years to get back to playing, so why wouldn't I want to play?"

Watson confirmed he played through the pain barrier last week. "I wouldn't sit here and say I felt perfect on Friday. I was pushing through it because I'm a competitor. I felt like I had enough."

Watson continued, saying, "At the same time, I wasn't 100 per cent last week. So I try, like I said before, to go through the game, see if I can make the throws, and make the plays. I thought I was ready; wasn't ready."

Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski said he took Watson out of the game to protect the quarterback. One thing is for sure: this ongoing confusion will not go away. The Browns are 4-2 and are playing very well. But all the attention is fixed on a player who has not played a full game since September 24th. It could distract the team, and Watson's clarification may fuel the fire.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Maybe I am wrong but I find this type of "reporting" offensive.

Unless there is verified information from a reliable source I think this is total BS.

bone...based on the statements and comments from the Browns, especially Stefanski and Watson, would you consider them as a "reliable source" as they attempt to explain Watson's injury status..?

JMO, but the Browns have acted as if they are trying to hide something.

Reporters wear different hats and it doesn't take them long to switch from the "reporting mode" to the "investigative mode" if they believe someone is not telling the truth
when questioned about a specific topic.

That is what good reporters and journalists do...they dig for the truth.

Personally, I have no idea what the truth is, concerning Watson's injury situation or if their might be an internal rift between Watson and the front office boys.

Most are still trying to make sense of the "stuff" that is being reported in the media.

mac #2038110 10/27/23 08:37 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
Cleveland Browns: Trade Rumor Floats Around Quarterback Deshaun Watson After Recent Report

link

A trade rumor is floating around Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson in Week 8 following an intriguing report by NBC Sports’ Mike Florio. The Browns gave up three first-round picks for Watson in the 2022 offseason. The 28-year-old quarterback signed a five-year deal worth $230 million in 2022.

The Browns haven’t gotten their money’s worth yet. Watson didn’t look himself last season when he came back from suspension. He’s struggled with injuries and has only played in four games this season, and had to leave their Week 7 game after only passing the ball five times.

Watson’s play has not been good this season, either. He’s completing just 61.7 percent of his passes and has thrown four touchdowns to three interceptions. Despite the Watson situation, the Browns are 4-2 and have won two straight games, including an upset of the San Francisco 49ers, with backup quarterback P.J. Walker leading the team.

Watson’s absence in the previous few weeks has confused fans and pundits. Florio is reporting Browns players thought Watson would play against the Baltimore Ravens in Week 4 when he was medically cleared to play. Watson did not play in the 28-3 blowout loss to the Ravens.

Watson didn’t play the following week against the 49ers, and he played a handful of snaps before leaving the Colts game after suffering a brutal hit. Watson has already been ruled out for Week 8.

Ian Rapoport with the NFL Network said the nature of Watson’s injury, a rotator cuff strain, is a four-to-six-week injury. Rapoport doesn’t think Watson’s absence since the Ravens contest is out of bounds for that type of injury.

However, Florio isn’t so sure there isn’t another reason Watson isn’t suiting up Sunday. Florio pointed to examples of Watson playing injured Clemson and with the Houston Texans. Watson even rode a bus to play for the Texans because he couldn’t travel by plane with a rib injury.

Florio wrote Watson might want out of Clevland and thinks the Browns could shop Watson before the trade deadline:

“That said, it would be naive to not at least wonder whether Watson has fallen out of love with the Browns. He wanted out of Houston just a few months after signing a big-money extension. Also, the Browns were the first team Watson scratched from his list of four finalists in 2022, before the Browns offered a five-year, fully-guaranteed contract.

So, yes, there’s a weird vibe. Neither the team nor Watson have said or done anything to change the situation. And we’ll continue to monitor things and generally to sniff around about whether the honeymoon has devolved into a standoff that, frankly, leaves both sides with few good options, given that Watson is due to make $46 million in 2023, in 2024, and in 2025, with every penny of it fully guaranteed.

It’s almost enough to make us wonder whether a surprise trade could happen before next Tuesday. At this point, however, who would take on the balance of that contract?”

Woah…The Browns still haven’t paid off their trade to the Texans for Watson. They still owe Houston a 2024 first-round pick. With Watson’s recent play and injuries, what would another team be willing to give up in return for the former first-round pick?

More importantly, that guaranteed salary is another issue for a player who will come to a new franchise and fanbase with baggage for off-the-field and now-on-the-field reasons.

This is complete trash.

Tackles are tackles.
3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, PitDAWG, FATE
mac #2038111 10/27/23 08:41 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The issue is the same issue it always has been: total confusion with the communication. First it was a contusion then 3-weeks later it is decided that it's a muscle strain. As Watson continues to miss games the injury becomes something more serious. It's not like this is the first instance of total confusion with the Browns communications with injuries. Stefanski and the Browns FO are their own worst enemy - self-inflicted doubt because of such poor communication. Of course, why would anyone think any different, it's business as usual in Berea and the chaos continues.

As far as Watson the player goes, does it surprise anyone that rumors have popped up about him wanting out of Cleveland considering his documented past history? I have no idea whether the rumors are true or not but not surprised at all that the media is going down that road considering his past history and the total failure with the communication. Sometimes the Browns are their own worst enemy.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Ryan Fitzpatrick said last night that the Browns are a great fit for Henry

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: tastybrownies
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Everything surrounding the DW injury has been intentionally vague.

That is no different than how every team handles injury reports with the media.

To imply there is a riff between DW and team is nothing but an attempt to get attention.

Florio writes "Watson might want out of Clevland and thinks the Browns could shop Watson before the trade deadline:"
Well he might want to climb Mt Everest when the season ends.

Why would DW tell Florio that? That is total BS. Where did he hear that? Who inside the Browns would say that to Florio?

Florio should STFU. Report on who is playing this week. That is all he is good for.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Fan the flames steve.

Maybe you could work for florio.

If you ever wrote something positive your keyboard would go on strike.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Bone...here is another opinion where a reporter attempted to decipher all the confusion surrounding Watson's injury situation.

Maybe you will like this opinion better...

But try to keep in mind, this is what good journalists and reporters do when they think someone is not being honest when questioned...they dig and even speculate about what the truth is.

If teams would just be truthful when asked a question by the media...simply tell the truth.

mac #2038128 10/27/23 09:53 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Bone...this is a good read that brings up how certain variables can change a story. Stuff that might have an impact on what the Browns try to do to make the team better and improve the Browns chances of making the playoffs.

NFL trade deadline: Deshaun Watson’s injury impacts Browns decisions

Rumors have been slow so far around the deadline but the Browns roster might not change much

By Jared Mueller
Oct 27, 2023, 8:34am EDT
link

When it comes to Cleveland Browns QB Deshaun Watson the answer to most questions are “We don’t know.”

How bad is his injury?
When can he return?
Will he ever be the guy he was in Houston?
Will he ever live up to the trade and contract?
We don’t know.

Based on Watson’s comments this week, it seems that he and the team don’t know much about the injury’s timeline. With the NFL trade deadline around the corner (Tuesday, October 31st), GM Andrew Berry might have difficult decisions.

So far, NFL rumors have been minimal, not just about the Browns but around the league. There is an expectation that trades could happen, including with running backs, but we are unlikely to hear real rumors until Sunday night going into Monday.

For Berry, Watson’s injury muddies the waters of the NFL trade deadline.

If Watson as healthy, and playing even mediocre football, adding a running back, wide receiver and/or offensive lineman would make a ton of sense, for the right price. With no timetable for Watson’s return, and his poor performance most of the year (all but Week 3), it is likely that no move really moves the needle for the team.

Does trading away one of the few picks the team has in the first four rounds worth raising the team’s potential from “could make the playoffs” to “could make the playoffs” worth it?

With the play of the team’s defense, Cleveland could be in every game they play. With the playoff of the team’s offense, the ceiling for this Browns group is pretty clear as well.

Given the team’s limited draft capital next year (we get to stop saying that starting in 2025) and their limited cap space (that will be true for awhile longer), making a trade to barely impact the team’s playoff and championship odds seems fruitless. That doesn’t mean Berry shouldn’t swap a late-round pick to add a marginal talent but any meaningful trades will likely be impacted by how Watson is doing on Monday and early Tuesday of next week.

Given the uncertainty around Watson, what do you think the Browns should do at the NFL trade deadline?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Didn't read the previous pages but I think Dalvin Cook is a guy I would try to get if the FO believes that Hunt isn't the full time guy. As for saving draft picks, well, the Browns already demonstrated they want to win now so let's do something to fix the Wills situation while we're at it. If DW comes back and the Browns are 4-4 or better, this team should be ready to go with their defense. The offense just has to manage the game and not give the ball away. Is there any AFC team you are afraid of from a defensive standpoint? I'm not. But I do agree that you need to find a willing partner. Let's see what happens.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
mac #2038130 10/27/23 09:58 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree 100% with this gentleman’s assessment of the situation. We have to move forward with an alternate plan. Maybe DW will play maybe he won’t. Maybe PJ will develop some. He does have some talent. I still feel we should get a Vet QB for some insurance. JMO

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
LOL, you want positive? Myles Garrett is playing his azz off again for the Browns. It's a pleasure watching him bust his azz for this franchise that to this point has wasted his elite play. Not unlike Joe Thomas, it's criminal what the Browns are doing to this guy's career. We can add Chubb, Teller, and Bitonio to that list of players that have dedicated their careers by being NFL elites at their positions yet having to deal with consistent failures by HC's and the FO that's no fault of their own. They deserve better than the continued crap shoot that occurs every year in Cleveland. You, my friend, are always waving your rah rah flag for the Browns. That's fine with me but I look at the wasted talent that keeps occurring every year and just shake my head. Sad as it is, these guys have held out and remained committed but what do they get in return? Keep in mind that the Browns had Mitchel Schwartz that left the Browns for less money to KCC to be a 4-time All Pro because of this crap. They also had Pro Bowl Center Alex Mack that darted from Cleveland because of this continued FO, HC mess that continues to this day. Why these guys are still here in Cleveland baffles me sometimes.

So, yeah, I'm negative about some aspects of the Browns and for good reason. I'm watching elite players spending the last 3-years playing for a team that is barely better than .500 with yearly chaos. Now we're in 2023 and that same crap has raised its ugly head and though the Browns are 4-2, only by the luck of God we have won the last 2-games. They deserve better than that, the fans deserve better than that, and I'm frustrated at watching the same excuse driven team I've watched for the last 25 years with no accountability with the waste of players that deserve better.

If that upsets you, I'm sorry. Garrett is in his 6th season waiting for this franchise to build a winner around his elite talent - as has Chubb, Teller and Bitonio. I've been waiting even longer. Stefanski and Berry fully deserve the criticism and I'll post about it. Hopefully, something changes before these elite players decide to dart like those before because they certainly deserve better that what's been happening. Afterall, the Browns already wasted the career of the best LT that ever played and they're doing the same to the best DE too!

mac #2038138 10/27/23 10:41 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I have been a subscriber to Quincy for quite some time. I like him.

He has a knowledgeable common sense approach to the subject matter.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by steve0255
LOL, you want positive? Myles Garrett is playing his azz off again for the Browns. It's a pleasure watching him bust his azz for this franchise that to this point has wasted his elite play. Not unlike Joe Thomas, it's criminal what the Browns are doing to this guy's career. We can add Chubb, Teller, and Bitonio to that list of players that have dedicated their careers by being NFL elites at their positions yet having to deal with consistent failures by HC's and the FO that's no fault of their own. They deserve better than the continued crap shoot that occurs every year in Cleveland. You, my friend, are always waving your rah rah flag for the Browns. That's fine with me but I look at the wasted talent that keeps occurring every year and just shake my head. Sad as it is, these guys have held out and remained committed but what do they get in return? Keep in mind that the Browns had Mitchel Schwartz that left the Browns for less money to KCC to be a 4-time All Pro because of this crap. They also had Pro Bowl Center Alex Mack that darted from Cleveland because of this continued FO, HC mess that continues to this day. Why these guys are still here in Cleveland baffles me sometimes.

So, yeah, I'm negative about some aspects of the Browns and for good reason. I'm watching elite players spending the last 3-years playing for a team that is barely better than .500 with yearly chaos. Now we're in 2023 and that same crap has raised its ugly head and though the Browns are 4-2, only by the luck of God we have won the last 2-games. They deserve better than that, the fans deserve better than that, and I'm frustrated at watching the same excuse driven team I've watched for the last 25 years with no accountability with the waste of players that deserve better.

If that upsets you, I'm sorry. Garrett is in his 6th season waiting for this franchise to build a winner around his elite talent - as has Chubb, Teller and Bitonio. I've been waiting even longer. Stefanski and Berry fully deserve the criticism and I'll post about it. Hopefully, something changes before these elite players decide to dart like those before because they certainly deserve better that what's been happening. Afterall, the Browns already wasted the career of the best LT that ever played and they're doing the same to the best DE too!

If we are being honest, let's list the reasons in order that the players you mentioned careers are being wasted.

1. Baker Mayfield did not live up to the #1 overall pick. I hope everyone watched him play last night. He is still the same player; he has not incrementally improved since he got in the league. This is the single biggest reason the Browns have not been able to turn this thing around; his immaturity and inability to get better has set the franchise back and put them in a position to even pursue Watson.

2. Stefanski is still a question mark.

3. Decades worth of a losing culture, hang your head mentality to overcome.

Berry has done everything he possibly can to turn this thing around and is not a part of the issue. Every single year he addresses what needs to be addressed. Every year he hands Stefanski one of the most talented teams in the league.

I know you're still upset about Baker, but you really should be blaming him for your grievances. Stefanski shoulders blame as well. Berry, to me, should be here for the long haul.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I feel your positivity.

It just pours through. Enjoy the season we could still lose every game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here is what I think.

I think the injury is one that takes time to heal, and you can't really heal if your are throwing the ball around.

How long does that take? I don't know. But it was really clear that Watson should have not been playing on Sunday.

KS should have put Baker on the shelf when the shoulder was hurt. History repeats itself, except the backup QB is not as talented as Case was.

So the Browns are sitting at 4-2 and should probably be looking for a QB.

I like the thought of Cooper Rush.

I don't by into a lot of the Watson drama offered in the media. I think a lot of articles by fringe media sites are just terrible with some yahoo behind a keyboard making up crap to stir the pot.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Rishuz #2038143 10/27/23 11:36 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Rishuz

If we are being honest, let's list the reasons in order that the players you mentioned careers are being wasted.

1. Baker Mayfield did not live up to the #1 overall pick. I hope everyone watched him play last night. He is still the same player; he has not incrementally improved since he got in the league. This is the single biggest reason the Browns have not been able to turn this thing around; his immaturity and inability to get better has set the franchise back and put them in a position to even pursue Watson.

Berry has done everything he possibly can to turn this thing around and is not a part of the issue. Every single year he addresses what needs to be addressed. Every year he hands Stefanski one of the most talented teams in the league.

I know you're still upset about Baker, but you really should be blaming him for your grievances. Stefanski shoulders blame as well. Berry, to me, should be here for the long haul.

um..no.. most of the time I agree with majority of your takes.. I agree with most of what you said with the exception of Berry. He hasn't drafted anyone that could be considered a game changer or even probowl caliber. He also has a bad habit of not admitting failure and moving on. Schwartz was the first player he drafted he ever cut.. theres been some duds too that could have easily been upgraded. I will say he does go out and get decent players via trades and FA, but any GM can do that, its not sustainable. You have to be able to draft your own players and develop them. Which leads to your point on stefanski. I can't think of a single player thats gotten better coming here and I can think of a bunch that got worse on the offensive side of the ball. But you have to draft to be able to sustain because its the cheapest way. And trading 6 picks for watson should cost him his job and rightfully so, that was a huge swing and a miss on a player that had a ton of question marks and drama surrounding him. We would have been better off drafting one and keeping brissett to be a bridge

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think Dhop would be a good rental.

No matter who plays quarterback. He knows how to find space. Him and Cooper would be a good combo.

At some point DW will play. D'hop and DW know how to play together. There is trust there.

I don't follow money. But it should not be too bad because the titans are still on the hook for part of the season.

Rishuz #2038147 10/27/23 12:10 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I didn't say a word about Mayfield in that post. He is gone and that's that and has no bearing on the current issues I talked about.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by mac

link

This is complete trash.

There's not a single word in print from Florio. I'm guessing this yahoo pulled the words "trade" and "Watson" from some audio and decided to turn it into a full-blown piece of garbage.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

...Speculative fiction is the new "news."

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
mac #2038162 10/27/23 01:48 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mac
It’s almost enough to make us wonder whether a surprise trade could happen before next Tuesday.

I know of no other explanation for our lack of activity on the QB (and RB) fronts....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
mac #2038165 10/27/23 02:11 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm glad you think guesswork and conjecture mean something. Let me tell you what it means. In this case it means it's sending the message you wish to support and believe. Nothing else.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: jfanent
Rishuz #2038190 10/28/23 05:08 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Garrett, Chubb, Bitonio and Teller have earned a playoff birth once in their careers. Baker was the QB that year - we (STR) hadn't been to a playoff game since around the time Baker was in pre-school. Damn him. Schwartz and Mack were long gone before Baker even got here. Listing Baker here is silliness. Warts and all...he's hardly the reason that those ^ 'careers' are being wasted.

So...the HC who was here and couldn't make it work with Baker is STILL here and STILL can't tailor an offense to his next QB. Maybe he just needs more talent at QB? For his signature WIN he was locked in his basement at home as if he were running for President;

Decades worth of losing and dropping the 'loser' mentality...that we've had for decades...had it's only few bright spots under that darned QB who took us to the playoffs and beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

Berry is responsible for:

The entire Watson debacle, wasted draft picks - including (3) 1st Rders - and 230 million flushed down the toilet;

Spending more $$$ than any other team in the league only to have losing seasons and more drama than an 8th grade dance team;

A 2022 team with me and Tab at DT and a QB carousel of his own making...another wasted season;

A 2023 team with Super Bowl aspirations now with PJ Walker as its backup QB...playing from the practice squad over the guy that Berry decided would be our only backup QB at the start of the season. Fortunately, the QB position isn't all that important (/purple) ;

An extended LT who regularly ranks lower than the total number of starting OTs in the league.

Damn that QB from (2) seasons ago for wasting all that talent.
rolleyes

mac #2038192 10/28/23 06:04 AM
Legend
Legend
Bernie has had a lot of Good insight about this injury for a while now. listen starting around the four minute mark.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
"So...the HC who was here and couldn't make it work with Baker is STILL here and STILL can't tailor an offense to his next QB. Maybe he just needs more talent at QB? For his signature WIN he was locked in his basement at home as if he were running for President;"

That is a giant pile of BS.

FATE #2038197 10/28/23 08:04 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by mac

link

This is complete trash.

There's not a single word in print from Florio. I'm guessing this yahoo pulled the words "trade" and "Watson" from some audio and decided to turn it into a full-blown piece of garbage.

Is this another one of those "fantasy football experts" that claims to be an NFL reporter?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by bonefish
"So...the HC who was here and couldn't make it work with Baker is STILL here and STILL can't tailor an offense to his next QB. Maybe he just needs more talent at QB? For his signature WIN he was locked in his basement at home as if he were running for President;"

That is a giant pile of BS.

Ok...so the basement door wasn't locked.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I just don't understand the love affair still with Baker. He's just awful. There are no two ways about it. He was pretty good in 2020 and that was a fun season and I am grateful to him for it. But the NFL will humble you in a hurry if you plateau and that's exactly what Baker did. Your whole post is based off an illogical, emotional, unwarranted attachment to Baker so it's hard to really sift through the rest of it. I'll just say we disagree on Berry. I am OK with that. I think most people think like you on Berry. I don't mind being the outlier.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Baker's best year was under KS.

To say the offense was not catered to him is an empty statement.

We were a two tight end play action team. The offense was based upon Chubb and the limitations of Baker.

Designed left rollouts off play action were a staple. That was to get Baker in space so he could see the field with a single hot read and a checkdown.

Baker was a limited quarterback. That is why the trade for DW. Period. What has Baker done since then besides getting traded?

KS has proven to get the most out of the quarterbacks that have played for him. If you cannot see the changes in the offense. Rewatch closely.

Rishuz #2038208 10/28/23 10:43 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I just don't understand the love affair still with Baker. He's just awful. There are no two ways about it. He was pretty good in 2020 and that was a fun season and I am grateful to him for it. But the NFL will humble you in a hurry if you plateau and that's exactly what Baker did. Your whole post is based off an illogical, emotional, unwarranted attachment to Baker so it's hard to really sift through the rest of it. I'll just say we disagree on Berry. I am OK with that. I think most people think like you on Berry. I don't mind being the outlier.

I don't have a love affair with Baker...or any other player not in a Browns uniform. I do appreciate what the guy did here and how he took this trash organization to the playoffs and a playoff win...and one defensive breakdown away from playing in the AFC Championship game. Why would anyone want more of that?

I do have a problem with revisionist history and very-important facts being left out when talking about that history.

Tell me one thing in the following that is not the truth (sift through rolleyes):

So...the HC who was here and couldn't make it work with Baker is STILL here and STILL can't tailor an offense to his next QB. Maybe he just needs more talent at QB? For his signature WIN he was locked in his basement at home as if he were running for President;

Decades worth of losing and dropping the 'loser' mentality...that we've had for decades...had it's only few bright spots under that darned QB who took us to the playoffs and beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

Berry is responsible for:

The entire Watson debacle, wasted draft picks - including (3) 1st Rders - and 230 million flushed down the toilet;

Spending more $$$ than any other team in the league only to have losing seasons and more drama than an 8th grade dance team;

A 2022 team with me and Tab at DT and a QB carousel of his own making...another wasted season;

A 2023 team with Super Bowl aspirations now with PJ Walker as its backup QB...playing from the practice squad over the guy that Berry decided would be our only backup QB at the start of the season. Fortunately, the QB position isn't all that important (/purple) ;

An extended LT who regularly ranks lower than the total number of starting OTs in the league.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by bonefish
Baker's best year was under KS.

And KS' only winning season was with Baker.

To say the offense was not catered to him is an empty statement.

I disagree. Ski wanted to take away what made Baker...Baker. The last Steeler game where Baker was left hanging was a coaching abomination.

We were a two tight end play action team. The offense was based upon Chubb and the limitations of Baker.

Designed left rollouts off play action were a staple. That was to get Baker in space so he could see the field with a single hot read and a checkdown.

Baker was playing at a top 10 level the back half of his last healthy year here. Because-of or in spite of KS...take your pick

Baker was a limited quarterback. That is why the trade for DW. Period.

Lots of teams win with limited QBs...every QB in the ACFN has limited QBs. How limited has DW been? Every other team in the AFCN manages to win games they should and even some that they shouldn't. Their offenses - with their own limitations - are smooth as a baby's butt compared to our sandpaper look-and-feel

What has Baker done since then besides getting traded?

What has DW done since being acquired? That's what matters. BTW...Baker is a Team Captain now and his GM recently held a podcast simply gushing over the guy. He's on a team re-building after the GOAT QB retired and are in absolute cap hell. Just another 'perfect' situation around him.

KS has proven to get the most out of the quarterbacks that have played for him. If you cannot see the changes in the offense. Rewatch closely.

Rewatch what? KS hasn't won squat with those QBs that he supposedly improves...except for the one that he couldn't work with. Now he has one that can't play...and no Chubb to fall back on.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I don't have a love affair with Baker...or any other player not in a Browns uniform.

That's just their go to BS line any time you point out that he was the best QB the Browns have had since the return of the team in 1999. That by no means is a claim he was or is some great QB. But we haven't seen a three year run of any QB since the return that has done better. Hell, most of them never made it that far to begin with. Of course when you point that out they make it sounds like you must be in love with the guy. That's what it looks like when nobody has the facts to dispute it. They to turn it into a "you issue".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
I agree with some of what you said and disagree with others. Watson isn't entirely on Berry. That was an organizational decision.

Have you watched Baker play since 2020? If you have what makes you believe we would have had similar success to 2020. There is no evidence of this; there is evidence to the contrary. He will be a backup journeyman QB after this season.

And I'm not saying Berry is perfect. But he's not an issue, imo, either. He's given Stefanski enough to win with.

Rishuz #2038217 10/28/23 12:06 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
To some extent I agree with you. Signing watson is on "the brain trust" supposing you believe they qualify to be given that name. Yet on the other hand it seems you're making a statement that simply doesn't fit. Baker is by no means some great QB. He never has been. But all of these predictions the type of which you made..... "He will be a backup journeyman QB after this season", is the same consistent type of comments we've heard from the haters ever since he left Cleveland. Yet it has not come to pass.

As of now Baker is a middle of the pack QB.........

NFL QB Index, Week 6: Jalen Hurts soars to No. 1; Brock Purdy knocking on door of top five

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-week-6-2023-nfl-season

Anyone trying to make him out as the best thing since sliced bread are no less wrong than you are by trying to make him look like one of the worse starting QB's in the NFL. As per usual reality lies somewhere in the middle between the two extremes.

#gmstrong
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Trade Deadline

Link Copied to Clipboard