Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2039270 10/31/23 08:28 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
DTR or Walker?

To me, I'd stay with Walker with hopes that he's a bit more comfortable with another tough start under his belt.

I don't dislike the idea of sprinkling in some DTR in spots like we did last week though

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
DTR.

He's the future.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Future backup yeah, but he’s not future anything close to the starter and I don’t think that’s how they see him. That being said, I trust him more than Walker

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I’m done seeing what Walker can do. I’d start DTR

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I want to win so I would start Walker.

O
Legend
Legend
O
With how the trade deadline went, I say roll with DTR. Walker is a known quantity, and he's gotta be cooked in terms of his confidence. You can't really cut him because if DTR duplicates his performance from the Ravens game... yikes.

Get the young guys as much playing time as possible.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Roll with DTR. Unless the Cards start Murray, Browns should win this one at home even w/o good QB play. Good opportunity to allow DTR to get his feet wet again.

R
Legend
Legend
R
There's only one way DTR duplicates his performance from the Ravens game and that's if Stefanski hangs him out to dry with his play calling.

There's a lot to like. Five year starter at a big school. Accurate. Strong arm. Mobile. Confident. Is there really that much difference between him and a Willis, Levis, Richardson, Howell, Corral, Ridder, Hooker, Bennett? All of those guys went higher than DTR. They do all suck, but that puts some odds on our side...someone from that group has to rise up out of the ashes; why not DTR? smile And besides, he might have been higher than all of those guys on the Browns board. It's just a matter of perspective. Would people change their opinion if the Browns drafted him at the end of the second round?

If Stefanski could just make the game a little simple for him and get him going, I think we are going to like the results. He needs help from his coach. Stefanski has proven he only calls games one way - like he has Mahomes back there. If he could just find the mental aptitude for once to dial it back, we might have something.

I do think the staff really, really likes him. I think they believe they did him a disservice against the Ravens and feared they would ruin him which is why Walker started the last three. I know Walker was bad, but even in light of that, and with no QB move today, they would not make a move to DTR if he wasn't ready just because Walker was bad.

I am the first member of the DTR fan club. I don't mind sinking with this ship if it comes to that. If he isn't good, I was wrong. But people are getting too caught up in where he was drafted and not the player himself. Not every successful player in the NFL has to come from the first round.

We'll see how it goes. There will be people on here who wish for him to fail just to stick it to me, but that's ok. I got broad shoulders. If he plays poorly, I will say so. But I like what I have seen from him. Just get him going a little bit.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
L
Legend
Legend
L
I do think this would be a good game to see what he's got.. at minimum I don't think he'd play worse than Walker, he's a bit taller atleast and he def has a stronger arm and he made good decisions in the preseason regardless of who he was playing.. Stefanski put him in a buzz saw against the ravens in probably one of the dumbest moves I've seen any nfl coach make.. walker was on the team at that point and had game experience.. and then bench DTR and make him inactive because he played like 99.99999999 percent of people thought he would against the ravens. Im sure that did wonders for his confidence, but then again it wouldnt be a browns season without stefanski screwing up handling the QB's. This would be a decent game to help him get a little confidence back. Run heavy game plan and let him get comfortable, not taking your first snap and running a go route.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No question about it....start DTR. And hope that KS game plans to DTR's (and the team's) strengths.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I would be interested in seeing DTR perform with a full week of practice geared towards him and hopefully a more stable environment (and against a worse team obviously)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
PJ or DTR is not a choice that should be.

It is a mistake to have to make this choice.

However, IMO I would choose DTR. PJ is careless with the ball. He has more experience. But, he does not protect the ball.

Even when he decides to run. I have to close my eyes because of how he holds the ball. Nine turnovers in three games and it could have easily been way more.

DTR is a better athlete and thrower of the ball. He was doomed in the Ravens game. Not prepared to face a division team that knows the Browns.

DTR needs to be prepared as best as he can be. Still his lack of experience will be a problem. Do the best you can to prepare him.

And then hope for the best.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
my dad made that same point on one of Walker's runs last Sunday (I think he even fumbled it right at the end of the run too) ... the fact that he's SO careless even as a runner

P
Legend
Legend
P
People sure seem to think some fifth round rookie is the better option. I mean if risking destroying his confidence and hindering his development is the goal those who support starting him are after, they may be right

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Really without being at practice and watching them both. I don't know.

PJ is a disaster. He can throw. He cannot see what is in front of him. He has gotten his chance. I cannot promote a guy who is reckless with the ball.

DTR apparently won the backup job. He gets one start. Hell if DW would have started against the Ravens. I would say we were the underdog.

I would rather look at DTR and see how it goes with him in practice. If he looks shaky. Then roll with PJ.

If he seems to have a better grip on playing. At this point after seeing PJ. I would give DTR a shot.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Nobody goes full speed at practice. Nobody wants to injure their own players. I don't have any idea what "better grip on playing" you saw in that Baltimore game. He's a kid with some underdeveloped yet a physically gifted skill set that needs some time to be coached up. Getting him shell shocked now could only serve to delay that process. That's a pretty big risk just to "see what he has".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
In a situation like this. Practice is all you have.

PJ's completion percentage is 49%. He is terrible.

The question is who will give you a better chance to win?

This is week 8 for the Browns. DTR is on the roster and has been there all year. He should not be on the roster if he is not ready.

This is not about his development. This is next man up.

Risk? They are both a risk.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Nobody goes full speed at practice. Nobody wants to injure their own players. I don't have any idea what "better grip on playing" you saw in that Baltimore game. He's a kid with some underdeveloped yet a physically gifted skill set that needs some time to be coached up. Getting him shell shocked now could only serve to delay that process. That's a pretty big risk just to "see what he has".

Is it really a big risk? He went 7Ws-13Ls his first two seasons at UCLA. There were some ugly looking stat lines in there. He went 9-4 last season and completed over 60% of his passes in every game. (not saying 60% is great, but to never go lower is something.)

Unfortunately, people tend to learn the most from adversity. DTR has been through it before. How he responded behind closed doors is a factor.

Hopefully, he and Tillman have been tearing it up in practice, and that contributed to the DPJ move.

I'm ready to give him another shot. Walker's played like a (bad) rookie. DTR's mobility gives some added wiggle room.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Stefanski is in the best position to make that decision as he has the best view of his QBs in practice.

You play the QB who gives your team the best chance to win the game...keeping in mind, the Cardinals are just as capable of beating the Browns as any other NFL team.

Don't play games with the back-up QB position attempting to get your #3 QB some experience because the Browns are playing a one win team.

I would start PJ knowing DTR could be needed in case of injury.

Number one goal for the Browns...win the damn game..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Hopefully if you get your wish he doesn't get crushed and further detract from his development. Being what you describe as not that great at UCLA for a lot of his time there doesn't bode well for starting in the NFL this early in your career.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
So far it appears Stefanski doesn't have a clue which QB is better. First it was DTR, then it was P.J. Will he now go back to DTR? I guess when your choices are between cow manure and hog manure it doesn't really make much difference does it? It would however be nice if he could make his mind up one way or the other. You're never going to develop any chemistry on O if you keep playing musical chairs at the QB position.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
PJ will be starting if Watson can’t play.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Ugh.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Josh Dobbs.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Watson will be practicing on a limited basis today. Both things came from Stefanski’s press conference

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Josh Dobbs.

He’ll be starting… for the Vikings.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
All I can do is hope DW plays.

The coin flip between PJ and DTR is heads I lose; tails I lose.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bonefish
All I can do is hope DW plays.

The coin flip between PJ and DTR is heads I lose; tails I lose.

it would be nice for him to get his sea legs back in Arizona before back to back games with Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm more worried about his sea arm. I understand what you're saying but trying to rush him back and see a repeat of him going back on the bench isn't a good option either. Hopefully if the decision is to start him he will be healthy and ready to go. Not a bowl in a China shop who will have to leave the field after first contact.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'd start whomever is least likely to turn the ball over. Period.

If our offense can cease spotting our opponents 7 to 14 points per game, we'd be winning a lot more games.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It seems like Walker this week and Watson next ... not ideal to play the Ravens without having played in 6 weeks lol but I digress

2nd String
2nd String
Both suck. It doesn't matter.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My goodness

This is a thread I was hoping wouldn't have to be posted

2023 with a up and down Watson was my hopes

Myself the 2017 blunder for AJ McCarron to this day is my favorite QB whatever

Couch was a good QB with a really bad O line

All the choices from there were

Well

Hell

I don't want to bring up all the missed draft picks or FA signings

The horrible coaching the circumstances the team has had since 99

I would again talking about starting bad back ups

I say get the rookies feet a little more turf time

Walker is like York, just thinking okay missing

This just happens way to much in Cleveland

You name DTR the back up who loses one game against a divisinional rivarly then sit him for

A QB with not much more NFL experience who locks down on recievers if he even sees them

This game should be a rookie vs rookie QB

Let the Defense win this game

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I was at the Baltimore game, and DTR looked shellshocked from the beginning. He does not have a strong arm, he struggled to throw the ball downfield. His long ball looked like a bad punt. Walker is just horrible. He is constantly not looking at open guys over the middle. He throws as many turnovers as completions it seems. Either way, 30 years and counting, and still no QB. The defense that everyone was gushing over, forgot how to stop the run, and tackle. The loss to Seattle, IMO, is at their feet.

Put Watson on the field. What is the use of saving him. He has played just as bad as Walker, except one game. Him not playing is just putting him a position to claim he is "rusty". I have been in his corner, but it is time for him to do something, anything for this team.

Actually, I am just tired of everything about this team. There is always something that derails them, and when there isn't either the offense or defense lays an egg. If they win, it will mean nothing, because the two division games coming up will absolutely be losses. I'm not even mad at the coaching, it just appears that after all these years, my buddy was right. The Browns will never be good, it is part of the script.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
1 member likes this: DeisleDawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Almost feels like strarting a $230 mil vet over

Two backups who want to start

The other guy well

O
Legend
Legend
O
DTR must be pure trash if the great offensive mind that is Ski made PJ starter again this week. We all know DW will be another healthy scratch come Sunday. I don’t even know if I want to watch PJ lay eggs again. Maybe something more exciting like a knitting competition will be on…

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 11/01/23 09:01 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
If only we had a fighter who would suit up even if his shoulder needed amputated because he wants to bring a title to town. A real gutsy guy with lots of moxie… Oh, right… been there, done that, and SKI treated him like trash.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
If only we had a fighter who would suit up even if his shoulder needed amputated because he wants to bring a title to town. A real gutsy guy with lots of moxie… Oh, right… been there, done that, and SKI treated him like trash.

Your heart still yearns for Faker "Chuck it up and Pray"-field? His ego wrote checks his body couldn't cash. I don't want a "reality TV" QB, the time we had with Baker was more than enough for me.

Ski treated him like a responsible adult when he should have treated him like a spoiled juvenile. Baker seemed to think he was way better than he actually is/was. Unfortunately, there's more to the QB job than waking up feeling dangerous.

(This may be rather harsh, but I figured I'd see if unnecessary slander was somehow cathartic as it seems so popular recently.)

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
If you think Baker was the answer. You are sadly mistaken.

Legend
Legend
Nobody is forcing you to watch. Don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 27 Cardinals 0 Who Would You Start?

Link Copied to Clipboard