Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Legend
Legend
L
yep, DW has done it quite a few times in the short amount of games. He's actually kinda like lamar in his ability to be elusive and hard to bring down in the pocket. That will be key for us against the Ravens.. I just hope we are working on a game plan to dink and dunk and screen them to death and then hit them deep with PA. I like how schwartz said where people fail against Lamar is they try to contain him in the pocket, his plan is to treat him like a ball carrier at all times, hit him hard and often and just attack him like he's a RB or WR.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
OP Online
Legend
After watching Lamar for a few years now. When I see defenders try and get into a tackling stance with eyes on his belt. The way you are trained to tackle. He leaves guys in the dust.

If you rush him straight on. He then is forced to move horizontally. There is that split second where he is deciding where to go. That is when you get him. We have a few guys who can get to Lamar. JOK, Delpit and Thornhill all three are quick enough.

In the SF game JOK made some great tackles on McCaffrey. He is a tough guy to tackle.

Delpit is having a pro bowl type season. Excellent tackler. Thornhill plays smart. He knows how to sniff plays out.

This last game Schwartz made an emphasis on fixing the run defense. The DT play was excellent. The Ravens really run the ball well. We are going to have to slow that down.

Lamar is a scary guy for defenses. He is at the top of his game. We are going to have to depend upon our corners to cover. We have to get Lamar to hold the ball. That will be key.

I think the Browns are up for this challenge. They seem hungry to me.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Should be a key factor on Sunday.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
IMO Schwartz is going to get after Lamar.

I think he will do it with different guys at different times. Our two safeties and JOK will be part of the plan.

They give the look pre-snap of Delpit on the LOS as if in blitz. He will drop back into coverage. The blitz will come from JOK.

JOK will be at the LOS pre-snap. Then they will reverse it. Both will be on the LOS pre-snap. The next time Delpit will come and JOK will drop.

Another time it may come from Thornhill.

Schwartz in most cases does not like to blitz. This will be an all day cat and mouse game. Where is going to come from? Sometimes nobody.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's amazing how different JOK looks in a defense where it's designed to allow him to use his skill set.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: lampdogg
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I totally agree.

Last year the DT play was horrific. It made it impossible to use his skills.

I watched a ton of tape on him when he played for Notre Dame. He won the Nagurski Award over Parsons.

He was brilliant.

He makes mistakes sometimes. But overall he is a damn good player.

P
Legend
Legend
P
While I supported the JOK pick as well for all of the reasons you mentioned, you were certainly the most vocal supporter of him and there wasn't even a close second.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The biggest difference with Jackson & Mahomes and the the rest of the mobile QBs in the league is that no one ever seems to lay a good solid square-up lick on Jackson or Mahomes. They’re just super gifted at not getting seriously hit. It’s the most confounding thing. But I think it also means you can’t try to murder them. They’ll totally dust you if you sell out against them when they’re running. You have to nag them, box them in, clutter their decision making and take away their rhythm. JOK as a straight-up spy is a pretty good idea imo. He’s not a big hitter but he’s got wheels and he’s a solid tackler. It’ll leave more open field kuncovered but I think if we’ve learned anything, Jackson with open lanes is game dominator.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
The Brett Kollman analysis of him was spot on and knew that he was going to be a factor with whatever team he was going to get drafted to.

Certainly was banging the JOK drum as that draft we really needed linebackers.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
The biggest difference with Jackson & Mahomes and the the rest of the mobile QBs in the league is that no one ever seems to lay a good solid square-up lick on Jackson or Mahomes. They’re just super gifted at not getting seriously hit. It’s the most confounding thing. But I think it also means you can’t try to murder them. They’ll totally dust you if you sell out against them when they’re running. You have to nag them, box them in, clutter their decision making and take away their rhythm. JOK as a straight-up spy is a pretty good idea imo. He’s not a big hitter but he’s got wheels and he’s a solid tackler. It’ll leave more open field kuncovered but I think if we’ve learned anything, Jackson with open lanes is game dominator.
People have put plenty of good hits on mahomes, he's hurt alot too.. But not sure why you are excluding Watson from those two.. he's every bit if not more mobile than mahomes, he's also been more successful at it too.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
OP Online
Legend
When you break down DW. He has every skill you want. That is why the risk to get him.

He dominated at Clemson. The bigger the game. The better he played. He took games over with his arm and legs. But what jumped out was his determination to win. He would sacrifice himself to score. There were questions about his accuracy coming into the draft. My view of him was. He was a winner.

With the Texans he was lighting up the league. That is why damn near every team wanted a shot to get him. Then the crap hit the fan.

When he is right. He can be great.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Not over the past few years he hasn't. I mean if people can cancel what a Browns WR did last year because of what he produced this year, why would it be okay to give credit to another Browns player claiming he can do this year what he hasn't done in years? just a little consistency here would be nice.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Not over the past few years he hasn't. I mean if people can cancel what a Browns WR did last year because of what he produced this year, why would it be okay to give credit to another Browns player claiming he can do this year what he hasn't done in years? just a little consistency here would be nice.
Still upset over nothingburger DPJ...and the last couple years suspended and hurt this year sure he hasn't.. thats an obtuse comment, The whole time in the NFL he's been a great runner, despite missing 3 years basically he STILL has more rushing yards, ypc and tds than mahomes. Thats my point. People act like DW isn't on the same level as mahomes when it comes to mobility and he is and more.. And DPJ isn't here because he was the 88th rank WR and dead last in separation. That has zero to do with QB. we didn't miss him at all and we will be fine and maybe he will too. I would venture to say if DPJ had another year on his contract he would probably still be here.

L
Legend
Legend
L
There’s a DPJ thread in Pure Footfall, as you know.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: JimDawg
L
Legend
Legend
L
JOK is a guy I learned about after we drafted him, soon liked his speed, tackling especially and his get-to-the-football thing he does. I thought he’s been very good for us this year and those stats are damn impressive.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
OP Online
Legend
The more I think about this game. The more intriguing it is.

Division games are way different. You play a team twice a year when the same coaches are involved. They know each other.

The players know each other. Teams have identities. Playing personalities.

These games become about adjustments. What can we do to mess up their plan?

I listened to Harbaugh today. He knows what our defense does. Will we change or, just just line up and play them straight up?

You have to play your game. But more than likely you add wrinkles. That goes both ways for both teams.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Who can hurt us the most?
Lamar Jackson. Make someone else beat you.

D has to be at their best, Jim needs to dial up a great plan, as he did against the 49ers.

gmstrong

-----------------

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Two Things:

1. Unless this defense can seriously elevate its game when playing Zone, or unless it can figure out how to not be forced into Zone, they will have the same experience as last time.

2. Unless this Offense has a coming out party, they simply cannot keep pace.

There is little reason, despite how insanely good this defense has played this year, to expect anything other than another lopsided 28-3 outcome.

Yes sir I couldn't agree more. I am thinking so.ething like 34-9

Browns run defense is very overrated. Teams can gash us when they want. Ravens are on top 5 of nfl in rushing. Browns have a very long list of injured players also.

Ravens are one of the best at getting to the qb. Watson has always had one of the slowest ball release times in the NFL since he became a pro. He is not very good at reading a defense. Not a good combination

Last edited by slick; 11/08/23 09:11 PM.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
E
Legend
Legend
E
I hope all you doomers eat crow on Sunday.

No Craps Given
2 members like this: bonefish, Bull_Dawg
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted by EveDawg

The poster above you also predicted an easy win for the Cardinals last Sunday.

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
Legend
OP Online
Legend
How does he like his crow done?

Baked or broiled?

Legend
Legend
did anyone else watch the Bengals double spy Allen on key 3rd downs? It brought up an interesting idea for us to do that against Baltimore

Man up with Delpit on Andrews, Ward on Flowers, and double spy Lamar with JOK and Taki

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think schwartz has the right idea, it just comes down to execution. but you have to treat Lamar like a ball carrier at all times while also being cognizant of the scramble drill, almost 100% of their big plays come from that. Our linebackers outside of Jok are very meh, and slow.. we will def need safety in the box help but then TE are going to be open down the field +

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by EveDawg

Me, too, because the season is toast if we don't get to eat crow.

I feel that there is a difference between acknowledging shortcomings and doomsaying, however. Facing reality doesn't mean you don't try to have hope; you just see that the odds of that hope paying off are slimmer than you'd like.
The offense has not been prolific or efficient and it has struggled mightily with turnovers regardless of who the QB is, and the defense has struggled with teams that run well and force us into zone when they want to: Ravens, Colts.
You are what you do, and if nothing changes, nothing changes.

If the defense can stick to what it does well and can dictate for itself what it will do instead of being forced into reacting to what they're doing, we'll shut them down.
If the offense can simply get rid of the turnovers, we're 100% better off than we were the last time, and if Watson can figure out how to play like he did vs the Cards, then we're in for a treat. Our run game will still suck because Ford ain't Chubb, and the Ravens D is effectively as good as ours, but it is what it is.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
did anyone else watch the Bengals double spy Allen on key 3rd downs? It brought up an interesting idea for us to do that against Baltimore

Man up with Delpit on Andrews, Ward on Flowers, and double spy Lamar with JOK and Taki

My random defensive idea was having Myles follow Andrews whenever he is inline and have Myles use the TE as a human battering ram on the OT on his way to the QB. It would both delay Andrews in getting out into a route and theoretically be an easier pass blocking matchup than an OT. See how many defensive "pancakes" he could get while generally causing chaos in the blocking scheme. Perhaps also have Za'Darius inside on Myles' side and use him as a looper. Maybe have Hurst outside crashing through Andrews with Myles as the looper.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well, I’m in the camp that believes this is very likely a loss. The main fault line being their defense against our OL. This really is going to be on Ski & DW to cook up a plan to get the ball out QUICK and try, however we can, to get the run game going. If we can’t get 1st downs and our D is living on the field it’s just a matter of until we break. I really do feel this game is about our O and maintaining possession for as long as possible. Gonna be very hard to do.

But hey, we almost every year have 1 big upset win. Maybe we spent that chip already with San Fran. Maybe we have 2.

I for one will gladly dine upon roast crow if it comes to pass. Garnished with mango chutney and a nice merlot please.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
T
Legend
Legend
T
Browns defensively need to clog up the middle, and force things to the outside.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
well Andrews is split out wide too much to rely on having Myles take him out IMO ... but I'm worried about our OL too. It's an issue

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
With their D it's probably the biggest issue.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think we win by 10 or more.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Reasons for optimism.

Ford is not Chubb. Neither is Kareem or Strong. However, The Browns are third in rushing.

DTR understandably committed 3 turnovers against the Ravens. He was ill prepared to start his first NFL game against the Ravens.

DW in his last two (full games) is beginning to look like what we were expecting. Accuracy and no interceptions.

It is easy to dismiss what DW is because of a limited sample and health. However, he has the ability to win with both his arm and his mobility.

On defense the Browns have the personnel to beat the Ravens. We have the corners to man up on their best receivers. We have the safeties in Thornhill, Delpit and JOK at linebacker to disguise coverage and blitz packages. All three can tackle and be used against the mobility of Lamar.

This game will be a supreme challenge. Both teams know the importance of this game. A Browns win reshuffles the deck of the North. A Ravens win gives the Ravens control of the North. The Ravens are at home. Motivation need not to be mentioned.

The Ravens are the favorites no doubt. However, outside of Titan's game we have not seen the true potential of this Browns team. The reason is inconsistent quarterback play. For the most part the defense and special teams have played very well.

My single concern at the moment is the OL. How are the Browns going to handle the changes at tackle? That could be a real problem.

However, I am optimistic that we will finally see some rhythm to the offense with better play from the quarterback position.

The defense will stand up and provide more scoring opportunities for a better offense. If we win the turnover battle. IMO we will win this game.

This game will be a bloody battle. I expect a real nail bitter. IMO this is a 50/50 game. I am not buying favorites in this game.

Legend
Legend
Some here need to temper their awestruck attitude toward the Ravens. They lost to the Colts and Steelers, and only beat the Cards and the Titans by one score each. They spanked us when we trotted a shell shocked DTR under center. The rats did have convincing wins vs the Lions and Seahawks, but it's not like they're doing that to everybody.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Would love that my good friend

I too hope that

I feel it might be a field goal at the last minuete

To win it !

For the Browns that is.

42-10 Browns

Hey they legalized weed WTH !

LOL !!! smile

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Being that the Ravens lost to the Colts and Steelers if I were KS and his staff I would look at the films and see what they did to beat them.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
NfL network at midnight had as a note note about the ,
Browns have given up ten point nine; points per game at home,
but twenty something point eight? ]well over 24] points per game on the road this year.

I don't think the game will be 'real close, I think whichever team wins; will rip the rug out from under the other one,

I just hope it's the Browns that win this time.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

Myles doing Myles things

1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Browns need to play a perfect game to win with the situation at OT. I would like to see them control time of possession with effective running and a short passing game. The defense needs to keep Jackson in the pocket at all costs and might even need to score (or a special teams score). If Stefanski gets pass happy over 15-20 yards I think the Browns are in trouble. Cannot afford a bunch of 3 and outs. Bojorquez can hopefully give the Ravens long fields all day long. It's going to be a stiff test but the season is not over if the Browns lose. Winning the division might be out the window. The Steeler game is a MUST win if the Browns do not win this week.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Legend
Legend
The offense has their work cut out for them, for sure.... we NEED them to step it up to have any shot at all.

Of course, if the defense can find a way to get a few defensive scores, it'll make life a lot easier.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by The Collector

Myles doing Myles things

Obo is on there too in pretty good shape.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Imagine if Myles wasn't held on every play!!!!

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 11/10/23 04:11 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 33 Ravens 31 The Ravens Game

Link Copied to Clipboard