Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2042731 11/15/23 11:57 AM
P
PETE314 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
OK....It's Done. That's it. Nothing we can do about it. We already have a thread that is woe is me and a place to vent. So lets keep that kind of stuff in there. This thread is about moving forward. Not about DW or his contract. It has already been said by Berry that they will add a 3rd QB to the roster. That doesn't mean they are looking for a starter...But I think they would be looking for the best QB available that can pick up the system.

So who is out there? Can't trade. So anyone we can get is either on the street, or has to get through waiver wires (If they can even get released!!!). Outside the Box Thinking is very welcome.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
R
Legend
Legend
R
D.T.R.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Al Bundy once threw 4 TDs in a game…
Uncle Rico might still have some arm left?

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 11/15/23 12:03 PM.

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: AZBrown
Legend
Legend
I think PJ was a good 1-2 game stopgap, but his turnovers are just a recipe for disaster. He can't be the long range option.

DTR could improve with practice and experience, and he has a higher ceiling. Of course, he could also be a disaster.

The FA market is VERY bleak

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
PETE314 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
I like the idea of playing him...If they think he can. the last thing we want is for him to go out there and get destroyed. We see a lot of potential there in DTR. So we have to be careful about that...

But as I mentioned...they are going to add someone... and this is what I see a s currently available...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2023/all/quarterback/available/

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
We need a game manager that is familiar with the system who only needs to get up to speed on terminology. Unfortunately, that is a very small list.

Literally, signing Trevor Simian off of the JETS' practice squad might be our best move.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
P
PETE314 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
Al Bundy once threw 4 TDs in a game…
Uncle Rico might still have some arm left?

LMAO!!!! Not quite what I was thinking concerning outside the box....But Love this one....

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What about that one dude that played for us for a week against the Raiders a year or two ago? We almost won that game. I can't remember the guy's name, but he played a few games for the 9ers.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
PETE314 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
What about Chase Daniel??? (not replying to you doglover....)

Legend
Legend
Nick Mullens? He's on an active roster

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
someone suggested Joe Flacco, who actually looked "OK" last year when I watched him

O
Legend
Legend
O
I like Colt McCoy for sentimentality.

I like Nick Foles because of the "been there done that" factor.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
ooooohhhhh were half-way there ... oooohhh oohh.......

Joe Thomas #73
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Nick Mullens? He's on an active roster

Darn. Yeah, he was the one I was thinking of.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Tom Brady? rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
The QB cupboard is bare and the odds of outside help looks bleak. At this point, rolling with DTR is our best bet unless Berry can work some kind of miracle. No trades, not many upgrades on the street, with only PJ and DTR on the roster… Bleak af.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
PETE314 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Honestly, I wouldn't mind a Flacco/Ryan type to help give that QB room some a veteran voice...Especially if we are going to go with DTR...having that vet they can go to ...could be huge...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Maybe Johnney Manziel would like another shot??? We liked him so much we drafted him once and doubled down and drafted his clone Baker.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
Matt Ryan might actually be really darn good in this offense.... but, being able to entice Brady with the prospect of getting a ring from a 3rd team is interesting, too wink

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Brees. The chemistry might be good. Outside the box is rough for this situation. The NE Patsies might be in a trade partner mood. Ask Annie Agar. I find her takes hilarious and I need to laugh. FWIW

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
Isn’t Brady still technically under contract if he UN-retires again?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Click the link at the bottom to see the associated videos

With Deshaun Watson out for the season, here are 7 players the Browns could look at as their third QB
Published: Nov. 15, 2023, 11:41 a.m.
By Tim Bielik, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Deshaun Watson’s 2023 season is over after he suffered a broken bone in his shoulder that will require immediate surgery. That means for this week vs. the Steelers, they will have to turn to either P.J. Walker or Dorian Thompson-Robinson at quarterback.

The NFL trade deadline has passed, so any hopes of bringing in an outside quarterback will have to come from the free-agent market.

The market is pretty barren, but there are some intriguing names if the Browns want to add another guy into the quarterback room.

Here are some free agents or practice-squad options the Browns could look at if they want to go that route. Also, let us know which option sounds the best to you in the poll below.

Browns rookie Dorian Thompson-Robinson to replace Deshaun Watson beginning Sunday vs. Steelers and said he’ll be ‘night and day’ different

With Deshaun Watson out for the season, here are 7 players the Browns could look at as their third QB

==============
Joe Flacco, free agent

A former Super Bowl winner, the 38-year-old Flacco has been on the street for the entire season after spending his last three seasons in New York as a member of the Jets. He was 1-8 in three seasons in New York, completing 57.5% of his passes for 2,253 yards, 14 touchdowns and six interceptions in 12 games.

Flacco’s last win as a starter came in Week 2 of 2022 vs. the Browns when he completed 26 of 44 passes for 307 yards and four touchdowns in a 31-30 win for the Jets.

==============
Nick Foles, free agent

Like Flacco, Foles is a former Super Bowl champion. He was also a Super Bowl MVP after leading a magical playoff run for the Eagles in the 2017 season.

However, he could not recapture that magic with stints in Jacksonville, Chicago and Indianapolis.

In his last four seasons, he started in 14 games and was 3-11 as a starter, completing 64.8% of his passes for 3,062 yards, 14 TDs and 14 INTs.

=========================
A.J. McCarron, Bengals practice squad

Remember when the Browns nearly acquired McCarron at the trade deadline in 2017? McCarron could be available if the Browns wanted to do what didn’t happen six years ago.

He has played in 17 NFL games, starting four. McCarron has completed 62.6% of his passes for 1,173 yards, six TDs and four INTs.

McCarron played in the XFL in the spring for the St. Louis Battlehawks and played very well, completing 68.8% of his passes for 2,150 yards, 24 TDs and six INTs.

================
Colt McCoy, free agent

A former Browns draft pick in 2010, McCoy already has experience playing in Cleveland and has been around the block. He’s played for five different teams in 12 NFL seasons, most recently playing two seasons in Arizona with the Cardinals.

He has 36 career starts with a record of 11-25. In his career, McCoy has completed 62.6% of his passes for 7,975 yards, 34 TDs and 32 INTs.

==========================
Nathan Rourke, Jaguars practice squad

This may be the first name on this list where you’re wondering who this guy is. But fans of the Ohio Bobcats and the Canadian Football League are aware of who Rourke is.

The 25-year-old Rourke threw for 7,470 yards and 60 TDs in three seasons at Ohio. He went to Canada and became an instant star for the B.C. Lions in 2022, leading them to the Western Final by completing 78.7% of his passes for 3,349 yards, 25 TDs and 10 INTs. That was in his first and only season as a starter before joining the Jaguars.

========================
Trevor Siemian, Jets practice squad

A former seventh-round pick from Northwestern, Siemian has forged a career that is far longer than your typical late seventh-round pick. He has 30 career starts, most of which came in Denver after the retirement of Peyton Manning following the 2015 season.

Siemian is 13-17 as a starter and has completed 58.9% of his passes for 7,027 yards, 42 TDs and 28 INTs. However, he has only started eight games after being traded from the Broncos after the 2017 season.

======================
And yes: Tom Brady, free agent

This feels like the most improbable scenario because he’s been retired all season and he’s 46 years old. But fans are talking about it, so it’s worth at least mentioning.

Brady is only three years removed from winning a mind-boggling seventh Super Bowl. But in 2022, he showed signs that Father Time was catching up to him as he completed 66.8% of his passes for 4,694 yards, but only 25 TDs and nine interceptions.

This feels like the biggest pipe dream of all pipe dreams and almost certainly won’t happen.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...wns-could-look-at-as-their-third-qb.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I wonder about Tannehill. Yes, he's under contract and not very good. BUT...if he has offset language in his contract...I think the Titans could cut him and his new team would pick up the rest of his contract. Maybe some cap shenanigans for them.

Disclaimer: I don't know for sure if that works when a vet gets cut vs traded.

Legend
Legend
I do think having a vet is going to be important. A Flacco or Ryan type would go a long way IMO

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by BADdog
ooooohhhhh were half-way there ... oooohhh oohh.......

Alright, that almost made me spit my coffee.

rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
=========================
A.J. McCarron, Bengals practice squad

Remember when the Browns nearly acquired McCarron at the trade deadline in 2017? McCarron could be available if the Browns wanted to do what didn’t happen six years ago.

He has played in 17 NFL games, starting four. McCarron has completed 62.6% of his passes for 1,173 yards, six TDs and four INTs.

McCarron played in the XFL in the spring for the St. Louis Battlehawks and played very well, completing 68.8% of his passes for 2,150 yards, 24 TDs and six INTs.

================

If that happens, I will jump in the lake... and drown myself... hoping that's the way out of this cruel dream.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gronk suggested Mac Jones should ask for his release and sign with the Browns.

He thought he has gotten this shaft

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
2nd String
2nd String
[Linked Image from mlive.com]

Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: JimDawg
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Gronkowski thinks that Mac Jones should ask for his release and sign here.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...or-his-release-and-sign-with-the-browns/

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
I think the question we should be asking, can any of these FA QBs play in our system? None of them really seem like the mobile QBs that we have, especially Flacco and Ryan. Would it be wise of us to overhaul our playbook right smack in the middle of the season?

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
Gronkowski thinks that Mac Jones should ask for his release and sign here.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...or-his-release-and-sign-with-the-browns/

I would not like this move. In addition to not being good, I don't think he would be a fit culture-wise.

Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from a57.foxnews.com]

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by boofers20
I think the question we should be asking, can any of these FA QBs play in our system? None of them really seem like the mobile QBs that we have, especially Flacco and Ryan. Would it be wise of us to overhaul our playbook right smack in the middle of the season?

beyond that, is how many of them would even be able to get up to speed on our system within a reasonable period of time? More likely than not, none of them would simply because there are only like 8 weeks left in the season. Anyone we'd target would need to have experience with the system, and most of the guys out there that have experience either with us or with Minny within the last 7 years are already on rosters.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent
[Linked Image from a57.foxnews.com]

do we have an activist opening?
Does he even play QB?

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Talk about rust
He hasn't played in what 4/5 years

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I'd rather we dial up Charlie Frye - or RGIII.

Browns is the Browns

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
well if we're just throwing names out there, what about Cam Newton???

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Like I said in another thread I don't think they will sign a significant veteran like Ryan or foles. If they play well that could cause a qb controversy and I think they would rather just miss the playoffs with a rookie qb then do anything that would create doubt about thier 230 million dollar qb

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
L
Legend
Legend
L
I don’t think they’re worried about a future QB controversy as it might relate to next year, so lay that speculation to bed, slick. That’s not the problem today , or next Tuesday. I think we need to get Foles or another vet, but a quarterback controversy isn’t tops on their list of worries.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Available options???

Link Copied to Clipboard