Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
L
Legend
Legend
L
Are you going to say that in every thread? Don’t you get tired of writing the same sentence?

Watson isn’t washed up, cooked or anything like that. He has a banged up shoulder, it hasn’t been a smooth first six games but to throw him on the scrap heap is very premature.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Yeah I don't understand the absolute declarations either. Still time to determine how this will play out.

Rishuz #2037229 10/22/23 07:58 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
That’s all I’m saying.

gmstrong

-----------------

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Are you going to say that in every thread? Don’t you get tired of writing the same sentence?

Watson isn’t washed up, cooked or anything like that. He has a banged up shoulder, it hasn’t been a smooth first six games but to throw him on the scrap heap is very premature.

PLEASE PUT ME ON THE PM LIST FOR WHEN IT IS APPROPRIATE, I’d like to be first in line to watch him leave Cleveland. Until then, I’ll just hope he somehow gets better, doesn’t quit in games, doesn’t get his glass ass completely shattered, and he learns to take well earned criticism. So far I’ve seen him flash starting QB qualities in one game. ONE. I never paid attention to him in Houston, and if there were no highlights on YouTube, I would swear y’all made that ish up.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

PLEASE PUT ME ON THE PM LIST FOR WHEN IT IS APPROPRIATE, I’d like to be first in line to watch him leave Cleveland. Until then, I’ll just hope he somehow gets better, doesn’t quit in games, doesn’t get his glass ass completely shattered, and he learns to take well earned criticism. So far I’ve seen him flash starting QB qualities in one game. ONE. I never paid attention to him in Houston, and if there were no highlights on YouTube, I would swear y’all made that ish up.

I have a couple thoughts on today. First and foremost, the Browns FO and Stefanski are lying their azzes off about Watson's injury. He clearly has something wrong with the shoulder and can't throw an NFL level pass. The guy should have already been on IR and healing. Instead, they are dicking around with this guy and he's either going to get more seriously hurt or be playing at a level that will be detrimental to the team. Second, I find Stefanski's comments about protecting the franchise QB just plain laughable. If that were true, he would have already been on IR. Even more laughable is Stefanski trying to say he wanted to protect his franchise QB. It's all to fresh in my mind how Stefanski threw Mayfield to the dogs when he was injured and didn't give a sh_t whether the player got hurt more. I'm not buying his smoke and mirrors - I suspect that Watson told him he couldn't go anymore which presents an entirely different problem.

Hey Cleveland, put the guy on IR so he can heal. Better to have him out the next 4 games than a shell of himself going into the final weeks of the season like your dumb azz did with Mayfield in 2021 and cost you a playoff spot. Christ, when are the Browns going to get a decent HC!

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from media3.giphy.com]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend
I don't think a 4 week IR stint is going to allow him to heal honestly. The way Kosar described it on a podcast last week, it's an injury that will continue to deteriorate until it's either repaired or you get a LOT of rest.

The QB we saw today was basically unplayable. Even if he's slightly better than that, it's still not good at all.

If I were making the decision, I'd shut him down and try to get Brissett or Cousins if Minnesota takes on 80% of his money to ditch it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Minnesota would want more than we have to give.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
Minnesota would want more than we have to give.

Plus cousins has said he won't wave his no trade... maybe he'd change his mind, but we don't have much in terms of trade capital...

<><

#gmstrong
Rishuz #2037287 10/22/23 11:35 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Yeah I don't understand the absolute declarations either. Still time to determine how this will play out.

We have like three more years, because we're paying insane money no matter what and the hit of a cut or trade makes it effectively impossible to do either.
So, he's here, for better or worse which means we have plenty of time to watch and wait.

That said, there isn't much evidence to suggest that he isn't getting close to washed up. You are what you put on film, and so far, that is absolutely sub-par to the extent that if we hadn't paid so much for him, it's a near guarantee that he'd be gone/benched already. Money spent, and the dream that he can live up to it (which may be a pipe dream), is all that is keeping him as our number one.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by Rishuz

We have like three more years, because we're paying insane money no matter what and the hit of a cut or trade makes it effectively impossible to do either.
So, he's here, for better or worse which means we have plenty of time to watch and wait.

That said, there isn't much evidence to suggest that he isn't getting close to washed up. You are what you put on film, and so far, that is absolutely sub-par to the extent that if we hadn't paid so much for him, it's a near guarantee that he'd be gone/benched already. Money spent, and the dream that he can live up to it (which may be a pipe dream), is all that is keeping him as our number one.

Let us not forget - it's so much more than money. 2022 first-round pick (13th overall), 2023 first-round pick, 2024 first-round pick, 2022 fourth-round pick, 2023 third-round pick, and a 2024 fourth-round pick.
Three 1st round picks. a 3rd and two 4ths.

Watson's ability to play after missing an extended period - and his ability to play in the cold - and his metnal toughness and ability to play after being villified for his actions by the National media should all have been part of the risk assesment process. I'd say the decisions to go so hard after Watson as Baker's replacement have all been monumental fails.

We can all hope that the performance against the Titans is the 'Norm' - but as you just said, based on the collective, it's the outlier at the moment.

Last edited by mgh888; 10/23/23 04:56 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: JimDawg
Legend
Legend
good points about Watson ... I'm not one to say whether he IS washed up, but it certainly looks like it based on what he's produced

there IS the chance that it is just all bad circumstances (missed time due to injury, bad luck, lack of reps, etc) ... but, if you were an opposing NFL team and watched the film of our offense with him at the helm, you certainly wouldn't be as concerned as you would be with the top 10 QBs in the league

As mgh mentioned (and others have said), it appears like this is a big mental issue now too. He has zero confidence and isn't used to being the villain ... couple that with us needing to win NOW and him already being paid so much (and so hated by some), it magnifies and perpetuates it all

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
mgh888 #2037307 10/23/23 05:05 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not sure how the team could have assessed his mental fortitude?

I do agree he seems to have a somewhat frail personality. When he is "the guy", he can be very good. When chopped down a bit as has happened to him...well, we are seeing the results.

Now we wait to see if he can get his "mojo" back.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Ayi yi yi.

Do you have the medical analysis and the MRI of DW?

Also please provide the full tapes of all the practices of last week.

Because without the documentation your theories are without merit.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
Ayi yi yi.

Do you have the medical analysis and the MRI of DW?

Also please provide the full tapes of all the practices of last week.

Because without the documentation your theories are without merit.

Attack my opinion all you want. I know what I saw on the field and that was 1-5 with an interception (should have been 2) that fluttered right into the opponent's hands. This is the same crap that was spewed when Mayfield was hurt. Cleared medically to play, can't do any further damage, controversial reports as to type and seriousness of the injury, he's practicing but can't make all the throws in the actual game. Theories without merit - it's actually deja vu.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Glad your educated eye can determine so much from five throws.

Your locker room insight about Baker is about as valid as your medical opinion.

M
Legend
Legend
M
To be fair - it's an opinion that's echoed in many places. Not sure if it's a free area of the athletic but this is a cut and paste from Jason Lloyd:

Stefanski can spin this however he wants, but he benched his $230 million quarterback with good reason. Watson was awful and completely ineffective: 1-of-5 for 5 yards and an interception. He should’ve thrown a second pick but had the call overturned on replay because the ball hit the turf.

After missing a month with a bruised rotator cuff, Watson clearly wasn’t fit to play an NFL game. He made terrible decisions with the ball and had no accuracy or velocity.

I think I wrote in my post game comments - either DW wasn't healthy at all and it was a serious error to try to start him - OR - DW is what we saw in his short time in the game Sunday v Colts and that was really bad (again). . . . Neither option is pleasant, and you (royal 'you') can argue it was a really short sample size but on th back of so many lack luster performances for the Browns with only one stand out complete game vs the Titans it's not really a stretch to think it might simply have been more of the same.

My sinle biggest frustration in all of this is the choices that Berry/front office made to go into the season with DTR as your back up and PJ Walker as your 3rd option who quickly got called up because DTR is clearly even worse and light years from ready. That is bordering on criminal incompetence based on a roster intended to win now. jmo.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #2037568 10/24/23 06:53 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree that the FO could/should have done a better job at the back-up QB position. I am not saying it had to be Dobbs, but I think many were blinded by the light of DTR in the preseason, including many fans. I just expect the GM to be more in tune to reality than the fans.

As far as the situation with Watson, I think he probably looked ok, and Watson felt so-so to good enough, but felt pressure to start playing. I am not blaming Jimmy Haslam, but I think back to some photo that was up last week with Watson at practice and Jimmy standing 35 feet away watching.

When you have everybody in the building asking how you feel and watching your every move and you have the press and fans asking questions 25 times a day, a player has to feel pressure to get out there even if maybe they aren't all that close to being good enough.

Lets be honest here. The expectation is that with Watson we can be a Superbowl contender. At minimum in the discussion. If we lose X amount of games while Watson is on the shelf and don't even get to the playoffs, you know darn good and well that Watson is the one who is going to be blamed.

Kind of the opposite with Baker. He got blamed for playing when maybe he shouldn't have. The thing in common with Baker and Watson is that both came to Cleveland with a large segment of the fan base against them.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

He basically Granted Watson another week to get his stuff together before throwing him under the bus.

Where the hell was that thinking when Baker was here. Geez

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Damanshot

He basically Granted Watson another week to get his stuff together before throwing him under the bus.

In a way I agree, but I think there is a difference.

With Baker, he made a point in the media that he wasn't going to come out. With Watson, I think he was feeling pressure to get back in. I am not blaming anybody, or saying I disagree with your take. I just don't think it is a apples to apples comparison.

With baker we probably should have benched him for a few games. With Watson, we probably shouldn't have started him.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
No doubt that the pressure to play has to be felt.

Berry thinking that DTR is the optimal backup was wrong. PJ ? He has borderline experience. He has been on a roster and played in what could be termed semi pro ball.

My preference in a backup is a veteran. I have no idea if Matt Ryan would be interested but he is the type. A guy who was a starter.

We as fans with limited knowledge speculating about DW health is foolish.

DW knows what he can and cannot do. The medical staff has all the information on the structural condition of his shoulder. The soft tissue and inflammation is individual. DW in practice knows how it feels. The coaching staff are witnesses to his efforts at practice. Honesty between them all is a requirement.

Together they must determine if he can play.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I agree that the FO could/should have done a better job at the back-up QB position. I am not saying it had to be Dobbs, but I think many were blinded by the light of DTR in the preseason, including many fans. I just expect the GM to be more in tune to reality than the fans.

Berry subscribes to his "Browns Bible...the Depodesta Guardrails" for his guidance...Berry's Backup QB decision was based on the Depo Guardrail that the Browns should not spend $$ for backup talent and should not rely on Free Agents. Here is the link to the Depodesta Guardrails...Link READ IT FOR YOURSELF.

Basically, that Guardrail says that the Browns should go the Cheapest Option when signing players for Depth which is exactly what Berry did by keeping DTR, the rookie QB and making his first QB move on March 16, 2023, giving Brissett the boot because he was going to cost some money to resign. The Washington Commanders snatched Brissett up on March 19 and now the Browns are trying to get Brissett back after Berry got to watch his rookie QB play against a team playing their #1s on defense.

TOO LATE: Berry, the Analytics Expert GM actually thought that the Browns could go with DTR (the cheapest option) if Watson were injured. That kind of thinking will get most NFL GMs fired if a team capable of making the playoffs fails. If the Browns miss the playoffs this season, we must look directly at the judgement Berry used on the day he cut Brissett.

One note: It appears that the Browns coordinators are not operating under the same set of Depodesta Guardraiils...The Browns new Defensive Coordinator Schwartz is not playing Berry's Guardrails game of NOT PAYING FOR DEPTH. Schwartz needed to improve the Browns defense and he needed to spend $$ to secure the kind of players he needed and he ignored Depo's Guardrails in the process.

Peen..I too expect the GM to be "more in tune to reality" than the fans.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #2037590 10/24/23 08:47 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
"giving Brissett the boot"

Lolz.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: jfanent, FATE
Legend
Legend
"If" Washington would be interested in a trade for Jacoby.

That possibility should be explored.

For a number of reasons I would love to get Jacoby back. He knows the team and coaches. They all love the guy. He is a perfect backup because he is more than capable of winning games.

Insurance. If DW is done for this year Jacoby gives the Browns a chance to win.

(In a world where everything goes wrong). DW never returns to being what was expected. The Browns decide to cut bait.

Jacoby and DTR provide a bridge to the 2025 draft. The Browns would have a young guy they could find out about. Jacoby would be the parachute.

In 2025 the Browns would have a first round pick.

That is the sky is falling scenario.

Hard to believe the Browns would throw away the remainder of $230. But hey **** happens.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bonefish

(In a world where everything goes wrong). DW never returns to being what was expected. The Browns decide to cut bait.

For whatever it's worth: us cutting bait would not include us releasing him, because we cannot afford to. The accelerated cap hit literally cannot be absorbed, so, no matter how bad he gets, no matter how much we might decide to move onto another QB, Watson will remain on the roster through at least 2025 which means that us cutting bait on him involves him still being on the roster and on the sidelines.

The potential out is UNLESS we can find someone to trade for him and that salary. It's a little murky, but I *think* we can escape the contract by finding someone to trade for him. All remaining paid, but unaccounted for, signing bonus monies would accelerate, and I believe that we're completely on the hook for any salary in the current year, but I believe the team trading for him would assume the remainder of the salaries.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc..

Something that might be an overlooked issue concerning Watson...how much did Watson look up to Brissett for support and guidance?

The relationship that Watson and Jacoby had seemed to be excellent, with Jacoby seeming to be so unselfish and helpful toward Watson, especially once Watson took over as our starter last season.

A lack of that kind of close support from a teammate that Watson looked up to...might be part of the problems affecting Watson.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
I like the idea of Brissett/Gibson for a draft pick ... maybe we throw them back a player they want instead or something

I also think we definitely have to look at the QB position future. We all know Watson is here AT LEAST through next year, but with the current state of things, we can't trust him. Brissett at least allows us to stay competitive through next year IMO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My only critique of Stefanski right now is that he seems to have a tendency to play injured QB's that should not be playing.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by Damanshot

In a way I agree, but I think there is a difference.

With Baker, he made a point in the media that he wasn't going to come out. With Watson, I think he was feeling pressure to get back in. I am not blaming anybody, or saying I disagree with your take. I just don't think it is a apples to apples comparison.

With baker we probably should have benched him for a few games. With Watson, we probably shouldn't have started him.

JMO here but Baker wanted to play, he didn't want to come out and I commend him for that attitude.. But the adult in the room has to be the HC.. And Stefanski didn't act like the adult in the room..

Now, suddenly, he's doing his job. All I'm saying is he should have done that with Baker. Who knows what might of happened. In the end, I think Baker would still be gone and Watson would be here..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
1 member likes this: myka
2nd String
2nd String
[Linked Image from hpcnursing.com]

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Love it. I'm all in on Stefanski now. He still does some dumb stuff, like taking that timeout in the wrong order, but he can learn those as he goes. Guys like Reid/Belichek/Carroll took decades to master the minutia. I trust he'll nip those small mistakes out in time.

The way he's winning with so much adversity is mind boggling. If he ever runs into a lucky season with light injuries and favorable ref calls (aka Steelers/Ravens type seasons) I think he'll win the SB.

Maybe I'm just too optimistic but I'm seeing things from him I've waited ages to see in a Browns coach.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by JimDawg
[Linked Image from hpcnursing.com]

Don’t forget to add an extension for AB too!! fingerscrossed

Random old article on Berry when he was hired

Accordingly, Berry wants to improve the franchise’s image as well as its record. “On the field, we’ve talked about being a quarterback-centric team, one that emphasizes positions that impact the passing game on both sides of the ball,” he says. “Organizationally we want to be a progressively minded, data-driven, diverse, and collaborative operation. That’s the goal in a nutshell.”

“If I were a betting man,” says Murphy, “I would bet on Cleveland in the next five years.”

As the kids say nowadays: Let’s goooooooooo

1 member likes this: JimDawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
Haslam aligned the contracts of Stefanski, Berry and DePodesta on five year deals with all set to expire after the 2024 season.

They are all getting extended after this season and I would anticipate their contracts will align again.

3 members like this: Hammer, oobernoober, ScottPlayersFacemask
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Haslam aligned the contracts of Stefanski, Berry and DePodesta on five year deals with all set to expire after the 2024 season.

They are all getting extended after this season and I would anticipate their contracts will align again.

They might. I don't think the 3 are tied at the hip, so there could be some deviation. I guess I would need to know what is a standard extension for a GM and head coach? I could see the number being 4 years, but if 5 is the number other receive, then we probably do that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Contract extension

Coach of the year

Sexiest man alive

George Clooney’s stunt double

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
I'm just thrilled that he stuck to the gameplan yesterday without any headscratcher plays trying to outsmart the other coach. We couldn't afford to take any of those risks with the rookie qb, and it paid off in the end.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Swish #2044499 11/20/23 08:12 AM
Legend
Legend
For this Browns team to be 7-3 with three different quarterbacks playing is astounding.

All the crap I have read on here about KS not being able to play to the strengths of his players has been proven wrong.

The players that have replaced those injured have proved that. Using Hudson on runs plays and Jones on pass protection against Watt is a good example. We won yesterday the only way we could win that game. Maybe now some will see that.

I went to the Pittsburgh Gazette to have a look. Funny the front page of the Steeler section read Tomlin lost the game.
Fans? The Steelers have no business having a winning record. They are -29 in point differential. Tomlin has done it with mirrors.

The most obvious observation about this Browns team is perseverance. The Browns play hard for 60 minutes. That comes from coaching.

Clearly the team has flaws. At this point we are offensively challenged. In order to really make a dent we will have to become better at passing the football. KS is going to have to decide how to accomplish that. Flacco is an option.

I am happy for this coaching staff. I want them to remain. We have a bright future. We might not reach all our goals this year. But we are in a position to achieve them.

3 members like this: guard dawg, ScottPlayersFacemask, Swish
Swish #2044500 11/20/23 08:20 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
He DOES kinda look like Clooney!

gmstrong

-----------------

1 member likes this: Swish
R
Legend
Legend
R
I have been a Stefanski critic. If he can finish this season off strong and make the playoffs, I will quiet those criticisms.

My biggest criticism of Stefanski was no signature wins. Nothing that we could point to since the Pitt game to get into the playoffs in 2020 in a league year with no fans. But he has answered that bell repeatedly this season. I think he has shown a lot of growth. The team is playing hard and seems ro respond to him. They believe and are resilient. Frankly we are winning games we would have lost the last two years.

My next biggest criticism has been doing so little with so much. This year he's doing the opposite.

There can't be any collapses imo. Need to finish this season strong, but I would love to see that and an accompanying extension if so.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kevin Stefanski

Link Copied to Clipboard