Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Legend
Legend
He’s gotta be CotY if we win the division. Only other coach in that spot is the one in Houston. Maybe Detroit

I give stef crap during game day cause of some of the play calls, but I’ve seen excellent clock management and him finding ways to make this offense productive despite the guard duty rotation we have at the QB position.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent
I'm just thrilled that he stuck to the gameplan yesterday without any headscratcher plays trying to outsmart the other coach. We couldn't afford to take any of those risks with the rookie qb, and it paid off in the end.
Me too. I think (especially after we got up 7-0) he really knew the end game ... and I could see the look in his eyes when we were driving at the end of the 2nd quarter to get points .. he had some urgency there to get up 2 scores before Pittsburgh could adjust defensively at the half.

That's what every game is going to be the rest of the year IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #2044558 11/20/23 12:04 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Swish
Contract extension

Coach of the year

Sexiest man alive

George Clooney’s stunt double

My wife has a crush on Schwartz.

Game one: "Who is this new guy they keep showing?"
"Jim Schwartz... legendary defensive coach, former head coach, coming home to where he started to turn this thing around."
"Well, I don't know about all that, but we definitely lead the league in hot coaches!"

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
FATE #2044607 11/20/23 01:32 PM
Legend
Legend
I was listening to The Ultimate Cleveland Show.

G Bush made an interesting comment about the game yesterday.

Stefanski held on to his plan while every fan and announcer was begging them to throw downfield in the second half.

He waited and let the defense give us that last chance. Knowing that the Steeler defense was looking for more of the same. More runs and throws to the flat with nothing downfield.

Then on the winning drive with time running out. Four for four downfield; spike the ball. Let D'hop win it.

Maybe who knows but it sure sounds good.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bonefish

Stefanski held on to his plan while every fan and announcer was begging them to throw downfield in the second half.

He waited and let the defense give us that last chance. Knowing that the Steeler defense was looking for more of the same. More runs and throws to the flat with nothing downfield.

Then on the winning drive with time running out. Four for four downfield; spike the ball. Let D'hop win it.

I didn't see the show, but was about to post nearly the same exact thing. I don't think it's "who knows", it's exactly what happened. Like it or hate it, that's one element of analytics that has a heavy hand in Stefanski's play-calling.

It was aggravating, but it took us from point A to point B and coach played it like a piano.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think he ended up doing the right thing at the end of the game for obvious reasons. I don't think he did it as some grand plan to lure the Steelers. That doesn't change the fact that he certainly made the right decision because I think he did.

But here's the situation. He knew it would be the last possession the Browns were going to get in regulation time in the game. If the Browns turned the ball over, by going downfield it would leave the Steelers in poor field position to mount a late scoring drive considering the defense had only given up 10 points the entire game. It was a strategic move to try to win the game in regulation. It was a gutsy call and worked out great. And it certainly served to catch the Steelers off guard.

But can you imagine if it had backfired? Can you imagine what many posters would be saying about Stefanski today? And that's the thing about it. Often times it's not about whether a coach makes the right call. It's about if the team executes that call. I can just imagine people raising hell questioning why in the world why he would put the game on the shoulders of a fifth round rookie QB late in the game had that strategy have failed. It's a fickle lot.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The game plan by KS was clear.

Protect the ball and the quarterback. Give DTR throws that he should make while keeping him away from throws that require holding the ball.

Quarterback runs were part of the run game. He kept Hudson and Jones rotating on Watt. Using Jones more when passing. Jones's length gave Watt trouble in pass protection.

As the game was unfolding in the second half. I kept thinking. We are no threat offensively. We need something more than this. When the Steelers tied it. It sure felt like a field goal would win it. I was confident our defense would not lose this game. I was hoping for field position on a turnover.

When DTR hit Moore. I felt we would win. You could see that those plays were there. Those four throws were confident throws to players who got open. DTR stepped into those throws.

Really happy for this team. What a season so far. The way we have won games should not be required watching for those with weak hearts.

It would be nice to win big but we are not that type of team. We have to drag teams into deep water and drown them.

Legend
Legend
I will rewatch the game because I want to remember plays in situations.

Like when we ran the pistol. How we went back and forth with man and zone on defense. This game was well coached.

Rishuz #2044655 11/20/23 03:30 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I have been a Stefanski critic. If he can finish this season off strong and make the playoffs, I will quiet those criticisms.

My biggest criticism of Stefanski was no signature wins. Nothing that we could point to since the Pitt game to get into the playoffs in 2020 in a league year with no fans. But he has answered that bell repeatedly this season. I think he has shown a lot of growth. The team is playing hard and seems ro respond to him. They believe and are resilient. Frankly we sare winning games we would have lost the last two years.

My next biggest criticism has been doing so little with so much. This year he's doing the opposite.

There can't be any collapses imo. Need to finish this season strong, but I would love to see that and an accompanying extension if so.

Not sure what you consider a signature win.

Beating Pittsburgh back to back including the COVID victory would be on the list.

Wins this year against SF, Pittsburgh and Baltimore back to back is noteworthy as well.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

FATE #2044692 11/20/23 04:53 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by FATE
Contract extension

Coach of the year

Sexiest man alive

"Jim Schwartz... legendary defensive coach, former head coach, coming home to where he started to turn this thing around."
"Well, I don't know about all that, but we definitely lead the league in hot coaches!"

Haha. He's definitely in great shape for being 58. I think he also leaves his shirts in the dryer a little too long.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
FATE #2044730 11/20/23 06:35 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I didn't see the show, but was about to post nearly the same exact thing. I don't think it's "who knows", it's exactly what happened. Like it or hate it, that's one element of analytics that has a heavy hand in Stefanski's play-calling.

It was aggravating, but it took us from point A to point B and coach played it like a piano.

I was telling my wife this during the game. I thought the playcalling was very smart with the trojan horse and reminded me a little of the movie Southpaw but also mind-numbing.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
When it was announced that DW was gone for the year.

It was so unexpected. After the comeback against the Ravens I felt like he was gaining momentum. Like damn we can do some damage.

I had little confidence in PJ and DTR. With this rock fight win over the Steelers. The way the team got behind this kid and their refusal to quit.

I feel restored. If DTR can get a little better each day. Get more comfortable. Get more in sync with the receivers. It is obvious how this defense plays where their mindset is. They play 60 and will not back down from any team.

Until that one big run play. It looked like the defense would pitch a shutout. They were swarming on every play. It was like they knew the Steeler playbook.

This defense will keep us in every game.

FATE #2044744 11/20/23 08:25 PM
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Contract extension

Coach of the year

Sexiest man alive

Should you a little worried?

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Interesting comments from Jason Lloyd at the 42:30min mark re: Stefanski's coaching this year. Makes sense because we are watching it play out on Sundays.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Basically confirming the Riz has been right all along and Stefanski is now changing.

I just don't know how many times I can be right.

It's exhausting.

B
Legend
Legend
B

I don't watch that show, but posted much the same. I think he knew it was going to be a defensive struggle as both QB's are limited. Keep it close and hope you get one last shot at the ball.

I read, or maybe it was a DTR PC where he said AVP gave him a sheet with plays and to memorize it. I am wondering if those plays were the final plays of the game, in preparation for the event we got the ball late with no time outs? Nothing says you have to script the opening drive. Pretty darn solid if we scripted the final drive.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Agreed Milk. He has shown growth every year.

He outcoached Tomlin yesterday…by how much, that’s subjective to each person’s view.

That last drive was an example of it. What was it, 20 seconds left, Stef calls his last TO and most are wondering what he is thinking using it. Calls a run play, tackled, clock is ticking, Browns hurry and clock the ball. The kicking team runs out on the field because of the play clock and no TOs. The kicking team gets set with a few seconds left, and Tomlin calls a TO to “ice” him. To me wasn’t smart in this situation, because that took away the mental pressure of hurrying to get the snap off for the kick. To clarify, having another thing to worry about besides making the kick. In my opinion, all that did was take the extra pressure off of hurrying. The TO gave them time to take a deep breath and focus on the kick and their duties on the snap.

1 member likes this: Milk Man
Rishuz #2044791 11/21/23 09:22 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Basically confirming the Riz has been right all along and Stefanski is now changing.

It's exhausting.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: oobernoober, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Interesting comments from Jason Lloyd at the 42:30min mark re: Stefanski's coaching this year. Makes sense because we are watching it play out on Sundays.

Agree with Jason Llyod on Stefanski just getting better as coach over time, generally speaking. I don't agree with Crawford's take about analytics now being used less, either by him or the NFL. There are plenty of things being used and increased , in fact, because of analytics. It's just a way for people to justify in their own heads to now all of a sudden like Stefanski after they've wanted him gone.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Agree with Jason Llyod on Stefanski just getting better as coach over time, generally speaking. I don't agree with Crawford's take about analytics now being used less, either by him or the NFL. There are plenty of things being used and increased , in fact, because of analytics. It's just a way for people to justify in their own heads to now all of a sudden like Stefanski after they've wanted him gone.

It was a great show. G Bush and the "dangerous game" described my feelings exactly while watching the game.

The Brave Heart reference and "hold, hold... HOLD!" couldn't be more true. 🤣

IIRC, the Crawford comment started with talking of Stefanski coaching more with his "gut"? I do tend to agree with that, but it's more a matter of Stefanski taking the wheel and analytics riding shotgun. He seems to be less and less caught in the minutiae.

R
Legend
Legend
R
You back Stefanski because you like the approach and had a belief in it. You had a conviction and never wavered. I respect that. It looks like it is trending the way you might have predicted and that is a win for all of us.

I've commented in the past that Stefanski coaches by the numbers and not by feel. Now we have one of your favorites Jason Lloyd reporting the players are saying the same. My comment about myself was made tongue in cheek and for fun.

But this "people that wanted Stefanski gone and are now using this to justify BS"...don't do that. I think any true fan can appreciate the results and the job Stefanski is doing regardless of previous opinions. You know it's very possible he's growing, maturing, and getting better as a coach as well and has not been good in the past.

I would also let this season play out.

Rishuz #2044832 11/21/23 11:03 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O

It's exhausting.

Lol. Hang in there while the rest of us catch up.

I'll play devil's advocate for a minute. Hasn't KS always been good when coaching with his back against the wall? He won COTY in the COVID season as a new coach implementing a new offense with a new team. What is telling you he won't go back to "smartest smartypants in the room" once he gets his offense restocked (people come back healthy)?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't think KS has been good for two straight seasons and only caught lightning in a bottle the Covid year with no fans and where he wasn't even on the sidelines for their best win.

No one has done less with more over the last two years. He also backed Woods for three seasons when that was clearly an issue. And he had one of the most improbable losses in the history of the NFL last year.

This year he has been outstanding, and I think he's doing a really good job. As I said it's a win for all of us if Stefanski is on an upward trajectory. Some may argue he's always been on that upward trajectory. I would disagree with that take.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Rishuz #2044852 11/21/23 11:32 AM
Legend
Legend
To isolate the covid year like it was an anomaly and then say he was not on the sidelines for the Steelers win is total bs. So, what do you mean? He wasn't the head coach because he had covid and had to isolate himself?

He has been the same guy since he was hired. What from 2020 to 2023 he now is someone else?

You and steve have been wrong since 2020 that is what has not changed.

Now because there is no hiding from the results you are trying to say Stefanski is now trending upward.

You were wrong period. Nothing wrong with being wrong unless you can't admit it.

R
Legend
Legend
R
What from 2020 to 2023 he now is someone else?

Yes. Heck, he may be a different guy now than he was at the beginning of the season.

BTW, you made similar posts when I was criticizing Baker.

Rishuz #2044858 11/21/23 11:48 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
So you were right until you were wrong? I can see that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Rishuz #2044862 11/21/23 12:00 PM
Legend
Legend
Similar posts? What does that mean?

Tell me how he is different? And how would you know? You are not on the team. You are not in meetings. You don't go over game plans with KS.

Do you know the game plan for Jacoby's first start? Do you know the difference in game plans between DW, PJ and DTR?

Do you know the difference between blocking assignments from Chubb to now?

In 2020 KS won Coach of the Year. This year he should win again.

The team has played hard in every game. He took this team to WVA early in camp to build team chemistry. This team is close knit. It did not happen on its own.

With three different quarterbacks and the loss of the best runner in football. The record is the same as the Chiefs and they have outscored the Chiefs.

Trying to claim Stefanski is a different guy so you can make yourself appear right. Sorry it doesn't work.

So what if you were wrong. Lots of us have been wrong. I thought Trent Richardson would be great.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't care about being right. I just want to enjoy my Sundays and root for a team that is successful.

I have praised the job KS has been doing since the 9er game. Repeatedly. I believe in praising when appropriate and criticizing when appropriate. "When appropriate" could be a matter of opinion, and I respect that. I don't expect everyone to agree with everything I say.

Does not change my opinion at all about the previous seasons. The last two seasons were wasted.

And I'm not sure what you are really arguing here. I guess it's not possible that KS has gotten better as a coach. The only possibility is that he's always been great and will always be great. He's always been a finished product. I would disagree with that.

And again, I caution everyone to let the season play out. Still a long way to go. Still a path to not making the playoffs.

Rishuz #2044872 11/21/23 12:45 PM
Legend
Legend
I don't think anyone has said KS is great. He has only been a head coach for three years.

He is a good young first time head coach. Anyone doing something for the first time is going to improve. If you do a "do it yourself" project; you get better at it.

I am glad for the record because I want this management team to stay together. That is how success is built.

I would love to keep winning but the limitations of this team are obvious. How this season ends is still to be determined. Myself, I don't have expectations. Wherever this season ends is less important than having a sound coaching staff that can build a consistently highly competitive team.

1 member likes this: guard dawg
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by oobernoober
"smartest smartypants in the room"

Is that an Industry Term? That will be my only "M Cousin Vinnie" reference today.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Rishuz #2044880 11/21/23 01:26 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes last season was wasted. Wasted by signing a QB who was suspended for 11 games. But don't let that fact get in your way.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
"prioritize winning" ...

Hammer #2044884 11/21/23 01:37 PM
Legend
Legend
That's my favorite.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Yes last season was wasted. Wasted by signing a QB who was suspended for 11 games. But don't let that fact get in your way.

The offense was good enough to win the entire year last year. I did not see that team wasted on a suspended QB at all. Brissett was more than good enough and should have won 3 more games and been 7-4 instead of 4-7. It was Woods's defense that wasted the year. Thus, the FO went and got Jim Schwartz.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
1 member likes this: bbrowns32
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's hard for me to disagree that having watson for the entire season would have made any difference. I mean how could a QB you gave a 230 million dollar guaranteed contract and 3 first round draft picks for playing have mattered?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I've been a KS sceptic. I've complained about the cute play calling. Getting pass happy. Coming out flat in must win or BIG games. I was critical of having an injured QB and 3rd string RT being 1v1 VS the best pure pass rusher in the NFL. I've highlighted games we were winning while rushing at 8yards + a carry and then losing while going pass happy.

I'm delighted we've won back to back big games. I've seen positives from our ay and the way we've seen the team coached this year. A great example would be the lack of penalties VS Pit. Delighted we had a game plan and stuck to it. There's reasons to be very positive.

But it's not all blue skies and gravy. Last year we got the most out of Brissett. But the Defense stunk... Stefanski supporters were all about the defense not being under his control... So ease tell me how suddenly Stefanski gets all the kudos for games won this season purely off the phenominal defense??... In DTRs first game KS was the opposite of how we aywd VS Pittsburgh this last weekend. He called a game as if we had a Vet QB back there.... We've had games this year where we suddenly go pass centric. And fail. Maybe it was genius waiting for the last drive before airing it out VS Pit? Maybe the game would have been sealed earlier if we'd done it sooner?

We're down oue stud RB. Watson **appeared to turn the corner and played two good/great games with his wins VS TN and Baltimore, and now he's out. Stefanski has had his share of obstacles. He's doing better than many or most would expect. That's commendable. That provides hope. But I still feel like the verdict is still in the balance. As others said., all I want to do is cheer for a winning Browns team, if KS is legit and a good or great HC so much the better.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
It's hard for me to disagree that having watson for the entire season would have made any difference. I mean how could a QB you gave a 230 million dollar guaranteed contract and 3 first round draft picks for playing have mattered?

So, you are moving goal posts now. First you said in this discussion that last year was wasted on a QB that was suspended. If that was the case, then Brissett would not have been as effective as he was. He very easily could have led this team to a 7-4 record. You can even argue that with a defense as we have this year it could have been even better than that. The main reason last year turned into a 7-9 season was because the defense and in particular the run defense was not good. The FO seen that and fired Woods and brought in Schwartz. I don't believe they packed it in waiting on Watson as you suggested. Your agenda might be clouding your judgement.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

I haven't seen this posted and thought it was relevant to this discussion. I'm posting it may bring to light some points that haven't been given consideration. To be transparent I do support extending Stefanski. This franchise has been seeking stability and continuity since 1999. It is at hand. Hopefully, that's being factored into the leadership decisions for the Browns.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...veland-browns-kevin-stefanski-220864144/

It's Time to Lock up Kevin Stefanski as Browns Head Coach with Contract Extension
The Cleveland Browns victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers is just the latest example why the organization should lock up Kevin Stefanski as head coach for the foreseeable future.
Pete Smith
PETE SMITH
Nov 20th, 9:34 AM

The debate is over. Kevin Stefanski has proven himself as one of the better coaches in the NFL and richly deserves a contract extension with the Cleveland Browns.

With their win against the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Browns have improved their record to 7-3. Stefanski has not only defeated the Baltimore Ravens and Steelers in back-to-back weeks, for the first time in franchise history, but they've won games this season with three different quarterbacks.

Stefanski has answered fair criticisms entering this season, such as beating good teams and meaningful wins within the division.

The Browns beat the San Francisco 49ers with P.J. Walker at quarterback when they were undefeated. They beat the Baltimore Ravens in Baltimore when many believed they were the hottest team in the league. Now, they've beaten the Steelers at home with a rookie quarterback. All of those teams would be in the playoffs if the season ended today and the 49ers and Ravens would be among the favorites to win the Super Bowl.

People are too focused on how Stefanski looks on the sideline rather than how players act on the field. Players across the board give everything they have in terms of effort. There's always this sense that the Browns are due to lose a game due to physical and emotional exhaustion, but they keep coming.

The team's culture is remarkable. Players constantly play for the person next to them, even when they have only arrived a week prior. A different player steps up and makes a contribution every single week.

Dorian Thompson-Robinson and James Proche made plays against the Steelers. Geron Christian has two starts at left tackle after being unsigned. Mike Ford had a big hit and then an interception against the Baltimore Ravens. James Hudson III seemed to just will the offense with his physicality in that victory. Every game, someone new seems to step up and make a play.

The Browns have a next man up, next play mentality. This didn't happen by accident. Stefanski's servant leadership has grown roots that have taken hold. Players have ownership of this team. They are empowered and trusted to make plays.

Amari Cooper having input to suggest players is a great example. A responsibility Cooper doesn’t take lightly. Most receivers are quick to say they're always open, but the second Stefanski listens to Cooper, that responsibility becomes real. He understands the weight of it and it has produced good results. It forces him to study to make sure he's right, keeping him engaged throughout the game as the team works to find solutions.

(Photo: Getty)
Stefanski, the Browns organization as a whole, has been actively trying to cultivate this environment since he arrived. Now, the team has a number of leaders. Myles Garrett has become the face of the defense, and the team in many respects, but they have a number of players taking on leadership roles, including second and third-year players. That has carried over to the field.

That process accelerated when the team was able to add professional, team-oriented veterans in the offseason. Dalvin Tomlinson, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, and Juan Thornhill stand out in this regard. With so many of these players locked up for the next few years, this has staying power.

Just as a coach, Stefanski has shown that experience matters. In his fourth season, Stefanski has looked the part of a veteran coach. Whether or not anyone believes the trip to the Greenbriar was impactful, Stefanski knew exactly what he wanted to accomplish in training camp and executed accordingly, which may be more important than anything that happened at the resort.

That has also carried over to games. Even as some continue to criticize Stefanski as a play caller, he has come up with clutch play calls on a weekly basis, often utilizing players in creative roles. From Nick Harris at fullback to Harrison Bryant as their short-yardage quarterback to putting all of the linemen on the field, those moves have worked, helping to cover for weaknesses caused by injury.

Stefanski's game management has been outstanding in a number of games this year. Just against the past two games, Stefanski and the offense managed to close out games effectively, a critical component in winning those games. With 4:55 left in the game against the Ravens, the Browns engineered a game-winning drive with the clock hitting zero as a fateful Dustin Hopkins kick flew between the uprights.

The Browns had 5:24 left in the first half against the Steelers. They executed a 17-play, 77-yard drive that ended with a field goal. The Steelers could only kneel out the half. Then their final drive went eight plays for 48 yards before Hopkins connected from 34 yards. The Steelers only had time for one desperate play.

This has been a theme this season. Against the Indianapolis Colts, the Browns scored 10 points to finish out the first half and then went 80 yards in 12 plays for the game-winning touchdown.

The Browns are winning on the margins.

Yes, you can hang the loss to the Seattle Seahawks loss on Stefanski for his decision to pass on 3rd-and-3. He's more than made up for it with these other performances and the fact of the matter is it's much easier to fix a single play call than everything that got them in that position in the first place.

(Photo: Getty)
Plenty of critics want to give all of the credit to Jim Schwartz, the team's defensive coordinator. Stefanski is the one that hired him and plenty of national media were skeptical of the hire when it was initially announced. Stefanski also hired Bubba Ventrone, which has resulted in an improvement in the team's special teams.

That's on top of all of the good hires he's made to the offensive staff. It's a critical part of the job and Stefanski has excelled there. That's despite losing two offensive coaches this past offseason including Drew Petzing, now the offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals.

Stefanski also empowers his assistants. He's not reminding anyone he drives the bus. They problem-solve as a group and it's been an effective formula, which may be the reason they've been able to attract the coaching talent they have.

Some of the complaints people have about Stefanski have almost nothing to do with football or his job. People complain he's not emotional enough on the sideline when he's plainly explained why he takes that approach. He wants to be in control of his emotions, always focused on what's next. He can celebrate in the locker room after the game, which he's made a habit of doing this game.

Stefanski's job isn't to make fans or the media feel better during the game. That's a job for a therapist. Stefanski's job is to be the coach his players need him to be. It's working. This isn't a movie where firing up players on the sideline is a critical component in winning and losing. Position coaches can handle that as he keeps his focus on managing the game and figuring out the best way to take on the next play, the next drive. Focus on what's important.

What's incredible is the number of people who think the mystery box will produce better results. The Browns picked Freddie Kitchens over Stefanski the first time he applied. Had Stefanski not applied a second time, the Browns would've ended up with Josh McDaniels, who has proven to be one of the worst head coaches in NFL history. Stefanski chose the Browns twice. And the organization is damn lucky he did because he's been their best head coach since Bill Belichick, which should be a lesson in its own right.

This is an easy decision. Lock up Kevin Stefanski and general manager Andrew Berry for years to come. They make each other better as well as the team. And there's reason to believe Stefanski will only continue to improve as a coach. If the Browns are somehow able to win their first division title since 1989 with all of the setbacks they've endured, Stefanski should be the easy choice for coach of the year on top of everything else.

Comments (95)

2 members like this: bonefish, oobernoober
mgh888 #2044933 11/21/23 04:48 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
If one looks for the perfect QB, the perfect owner, GM or HC, they will always be disappointed. Human beings will always have their flaws. What one has to look for, imo is continued growth and improvement. Often times what we each see differs. What I've seen has often times been him being criticized for not doing what everyone thinks he should do. But there's a problem with that train of thought in my mind. If the people on this board knows what the obvious play is that should be called, don't they understand that opposing NFL HC's know that too?

What many describe as his fault is calling the play they don't think he should call. Instead they promte that he should have called plays the opposition would be expecting and defending against. That's their view of that situation. My view is he is calling plays that would be something they aren't expecting. Plays that would catch them off guard. When such plays are executed properly people call those coaches innovative, creative and out coaching their opponents. When those plays aren't executed properly they claim it's all the coaches fault.

Let me give you an example. Just look at the Pittsburgh game. Before the game everyone was calling for Stefanski to not let DTR open up. Nothing but short passes and a ball control O. And to his credit that's exactly what he did. Until... that last drive. Then he called plays for DTR to sling that ball. He opened up the passing plays for him.

As a result we see praises for Stefanski yesterday and today. He called plays the Steelers weren't expecting. He took advantage of what they didn't see coming. Much like the same thing he's been criticized for when those plays weren't executed. So please humor me for just a minute and imagine if you will that DTR's first pass had been intercepted and returned for a TD and the Browns lost that game.

Can you imagine how many posters here would be calling for his head right now for calling the exact same play? How he would be being called on the carpet for allowing a fifth rounds rookie to sling the ball that way? How he should have known better? How that was a terrible play call? Often times it's not about the plays that are called. It's far more about if the players manage to execute those plays.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Try again Grasshopper.

#gmstrong
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kevin Stefanski

Link Copied to Clipboard