Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
The only thing that bothers me about DTR is that he has difficulty throwing the sideline out. Almost a couple of interceptions yesterday.

That can be fixed.

I agree. Makes me nervous everytime he throws one.

I don't think it's an arm strength thing. I think it's a timing/anticipation thing.

I am hopeful it's being addressed in practice.

M
Legend
Legend
M

I hate that PIT has such a good coach in Tomlin.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 11/21/23 09:46 AM.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Barring an injury or a massive drop in production, I have no reason why Garrett won't be named DPOY.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Steelers just fired Matt Canada

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

The Steelers have to figure out if Matt Canada was the problem or if Kenny Pickett is the problem for the next FA period and/or draft. Clearly, the offense was crap under Canada, now it will be determined if Pickett was the problem as well. It's the right move....probably should have been done sooner.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I agree. They give Pickett the final 7 games to prove it WAS the old OC

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I hope they win enough to keep out of the upper tier QB draft. I could see someone like Bo Nix falling some and the stillers landing him. I want Pickett to be their only young option next year… and every year after that…. For a decade. I love Kenny Pickett… as the Steelers QB.

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: oobernoober
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
I hope they win enough to keep out of the upper tier QB draft. I could see someone like Bo Nix falling some and the stillers landing him. I want Pickett to be their only young option next year… and every year after that…. For a decade. I love Kenny Pickett… as the Steelers QB.

I see the Steelers being the team that trades away a 2nd round pick for Justin Fields. I think with their schedule they will get to 10 wins and will pick down in the 1st round far enough that they won't be players in the draft class of QB's. Also Tomlin I don't believe will want to go thru the learning curve with a rookie again.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by The Big G
If we had lost in overtime, the back-to-back safeties they took away from us would have looked large. What the hell was that, and why didn’t Stefanski challenge?

Stefanski threw the flag?

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TJ Wwwwhat?

Joe Thomas #73
3 members like this: JimDawg, FORTBROWNFAN, MemphisBrownie
Legend
Legend
"Zipcode" got the job done.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by BADdog
Originally Posted by The Big G
If we had lost in overtime, the back-to-back safeties they took away from us would have looked large. What the hell was that, and why didn’t Stefanski challenge?

Stefanski threw the flag?

Not sure why that was posted by Withers

KS did not throw the flag, he had discussions with the ref about the situation

I'm glad he didn't, the TD from the short field was just what the team needed

P
Legend
Legend
P

That's a great way for them to try and cover up the fact that their FO drafted a crappy QB.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
I see the Steelers being the team that trades away a 2nd round pick for Justin Fields.

Why would Chicago trade away their promising, young and talented starting QB for a second round draft pick?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

TJ Wwwwhat?

1 member likes this: JimDawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"Can you find the 3rd and long play in thee 4th quarter where dawand Jones owns TJ watt"

Looks like he owned him all day wink
I love the way Jones doesnt look at Watt. But is fully focused on him thumbsup

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

That's a great way for them to try and cover up the fact that their FO drafted a crappy QB.

Yeah it’s happened here more than once.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I see the Steelers being the team that trades away a 2nd round pick for Justin Fields.

Why would Chicago trade away their promising, young and talented starting QB for a second round draft pick?

I think its cause Caleb would be cheaper, in the short term, which would help them keep building through the draft.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That would be a crazy thing to happen. I don't see that scenario. Fields is only on year 2 of his rookie contract and the Bears have a 5th year option. If you want to build a team one of the most essential building blocks is a starting QB. Gambling on a rookie draft pick who you will actually be paying MORE for over the next few years doesn't save you any money and is a huge gamble. I've seen some mock drafts that actually project teh Bears drafting him. But I think it's t trade him for multiple picks in that same draft rather than to trade off Fields.

Fields was draft at #11. Caleb would be drafted at #1. His salary will be higher than Fields and you have no idea how we will perform in the NFL. Trading a known commodity for an unknown commodity is a risk I think they would be foolish to take.

#gmstrong
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F

TJ Wwwwhat?

I love your comment. Jones makes TJ stutter, no doubt.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
That would be a crazy thing to happen. I don't see that scenario. Fields is only on year 2 of his rookie contract and the Bears have a 5th year option. If you want to build a team one of the most essential building blocks is a starting QB. Gambling on a rookie draft pick who you will actually be paying MORE for over the next few years doesn't save you any money and is a huge gamble. I've seen some mock drafts that actually project teh Bears drafting him. But I think it's t trade him for multiple picks in that same draft rather than to trade off Fields.

Fields was draft at #11. Caleb would be drafted at #1. His salary will be higher than Fields and you have no idea how we will perform in the NFL. Trading a known commodity for an unknown commodity is a risk I think they would be foolish to take.

I get your logic. How many times have we seen logic thrown out the window by GMs? Our own included… passing on Rothlisbuger, drafting two massive busts in the same first round in Manziel/Gilbert, etc

A new coach is likely coming in to Chicago. (Harbaugh?) They may want to clean house and take their own guys. Caleb and Harrison could make for instant impact and a fresh start.

Just sayin, never say never.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Fields is in his third season, and the known commodity is "crap with a glimpse here and there" so far. Can't read a defense, before or after the snap. Uncomfortable in the pocket but athletic enough to constantly fun into his own lineman and assist in the sack. Claypool was supposed to be a big answer, instead he was an absolute disaster. And their Oline sucks. Not enough talent to build a two-year bridge to a hope and a prayer (Fields), it would be smarter to pick up the dice and try again.

They're licking wounds and ready to move on. They would jump at a chance for a 2nd for Fields in a heartbeat, imo.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Because they would not get a 1st for him. His numbers have not been that good. And they will have the 1st pick in the draft and will draft a new QB next year.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
FATE #2044914 11/21/23 03:43 PM
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE

Fields is in his third season, and the known commodity is "crap with a glimpse here and there" so far. Can't read a defense, before or after the snap. Uncomfortable in the pocket but athletic enough to constantly fun into his own lineman and assist in the sack. Claypool was supposed to be a big answer, instead he was an absolute disaster. And their Oline sucks. Not enough talent to build a two-year bridge to a hope and a prayer (Fields), it would be smarter to pick up the dice and try again.

They're licking wounds and ready to move on. They would jump at a chance for a 2nd for Fields in a heartbeat, imo.

Correct, Fields is in his 3rd year of his rookie deal. Also, the Bears will have to make a decision this upcoming offseason on whether or not to pick up his 5th year option.

I agree that the Bears would jump at a 2nd round pick for Fields. New coaching staff will likely want their own guy.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah, if the Bears get a good deal, I think they'd walk away from Fields in a heartbeat.

Also, don't they currently have the #1 pick because they own Carolina's? And the 4th? That's ripe for a new QB with either of those picks.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Correct, Fields is in his 3rd year of his rookie deal. Also, the Bears will have to make a decision this upcoming offseason on whether or not to pick up his 5th year option.

I agree that the Bears would jump at a 2nd round pick for Fields. New coaching staff will likely want their own guy.

If the new guy is smart, they'll try with Fields and see how it goes first. Once you pick a QB, you have to win with him. They don't look ready to win around the QB. Keep the "we need to pick our own QB" excuse for down the road. Build up both those trenches. Looks like a good year for OL in the draft. If you can trade back in the first a bit, get additional day 2 picks, and a future first, to me, that's the play. Maybe take Penix later if the injury concerns have him drop out of round 1 or trade back up to 32 for the 5th round option perhaps.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, they're not even close to being "A QB away". Until you can protect Fields you don't know what you have and if a new FO goes off the deep end in the beginning, they're tying their entire future on a rookie QB.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

If the new guy is smart, they'll try with Fields and see how it goes first. Once you pick a QB, you have to win with him. They don't look ready to win around the QB. Keep the "we need to pick our own QB" excuse for down the road. Build up both those trenches. Looks like a good year for OL in the draft. If you can trade back in the first a bit, get additional day 2 picks, and a future first, to me, that's the play. Maybe take Penix later if the injury concerns have him drop out of round 1 or trade back up to 32 for the 5th round option perhaps.

It seems presumptuous to think ownership will allow you the "we need to pick our own QB" down the road if you were to pass on one this draft and Fields falls flat again next season.

Especially, if Williams or Maye turn out like CJ Stroud. Nobody thought the Texans were ready to win now either.

We'll see what happens.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

It seems presumptuous to think ownership will allow you the "we need to pick our own QB" down the road if you were to pass on one this draft and Fields falls flat again next season.

Especially, if Williams or Maye turn out like CJ Stroud. Nobody thought the Texans were ready to win now either.

We'll see what happens.

I don't know that trying to look for built in excuses for failure is exactly smart either way. To buy an extra year on your guaranteed coaching contract anyway? Loser mentality in my book. Unless, you're convinced Fields can be the guy.

With two top 5 picks you can guarantee you draft the QB you want and that comes with a three-year lifeline by definition. Plus you acquire a 2nd from the club that thinks it can fix Fields. That said, there is also the obvious variable of how you view the QB crop in the draft. There are three (seemingly) qualified candidates, just have to pick the right one. Now you have a 2nd round pick (currently without one) and more money to build a roster starting fresh with a rookie QB.

A lot of this hinges on how the season plays out as far as draft position. If the Bears happen to end with #1 and #2, they will get a king's ransom for the top pick, with multiple bidders. Then they would have the ability to take a stab in 2025 if Fields doesn't work out and hand him a generational talent at WR to work with while you find out.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The Bears will have 2 picks in the top 5 and will look to try to replicate what the Texans did last year and get a QB and another impact player. Trade Fields for more assets.

P
Legend
Legend
P
As long as they're right. If they're wrong there goes their future in Chicago.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
As long as they're right. If they're wrong there goes their future in Chicago.

You are assuming that Fields is the future more than some new QB.

New groups usually like their own players and are a bit worried about taking the chance they will be strapped with somebody else's mistake...if it turns that way.

There are some top QB's in this draft, I think they might look to trade.

In the end, I don't give a toot about the Bears and who they draft or who they keep.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
In my fantasy football league group text the Steelers fan shared a link about Canada getting fired with the comment 'Christmas came early'. I replied 'that wasn't Christmas, that was Myles Garrett.'

[Linked Image]

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR
R
Legend
Legend
R
Fields is not the future. They are definitely taking a QB.

This is a weird conversation.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Most overrated coach of all time. Been caught cheating twice, once where he literally went onto the field to try to trip a player and outted by Jerome Harrison for paying for injuries (bounty gate before bounty gate). If he were only any other team he'd have been suspended and/or fired by now. Add to that the fact that the Steelers are gifted 3-4 games every year by the Refs and he's mediocre at best. I wouldn't want him in Cleveland.

Harbaugh on the other hand, that dude is one of the best ever and I hate that he's in Baltimore.

Legend
Legend
...and four weeks ago we were firing Stefanski.

I know what I would do today, but the Bears have a half-season to finish the process, and Fields can enjoy a no-pressure situation and show what he's got. The elephant is that they don't really want him to do too well. lol

Now, as far as this article goes, this is the exact demeanor they should display to any source of media anyway. For a few different reasons, one being their posture concerning what they think his market value is.

Bears have to be blown away by QB prospect to select him high in 2024 NFL Draft, per report

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:17 am ET

The Chicago Bears get their quarterback back in Week 11 as Justin Fields will return to the lineup after missing the last four games due to a dislocated thumb on his throwing hand. Fields admitted he's not 100% just yet, but he's good enough to go on Sunday.

How Fields finishes out the 2023 season is important, as Chicago has to make a decision on his fifth-year option this offseason. The Bears will also surely have a high draft pick -- they own the Carolina Panthers' first-round selection, thanks to last year's trade involving the No. 1 overall pick. According to SportsLine Data Scientist Stephen Oh, the Bears currently have the best chance to win the No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft at 38.4%, and have a 90.9% chance to earn a top-three pick. Chicago passed on taking a top quarterback last year. Will it again this time around?

The Bears, according to NFL Media, would have to be blown away by a quarterback prospect to pick him high, and will weigh that evaluation against what they know about Fields. In six contests this season, Fields has completed 61.7% of his passes, and thrown 11 touchdowns compared to six interceptions while averaging 200.2 passing yards per game. Fields received an MVP vote last year after lighting the league on fire with his legs, rushing for 1,143 yards and eight touchdowns, but it's fair to say he hasn't taken that step forward as a passer in 2023.

What do the Bears want to see from Fields over the next few weeks? NFL Media reports it's consistency, playing well in the two-minute offense and red zone and then limiting turnovers. In six games played this season, Fields has turned the ball over eight times.

Assuming both USC's Caleb Williams and UNC's Drake Maye declare for the draft, the Bears have a great shot of being "blown away" by a QB prospect. All three of our CBS Sports NFL Draft experts have Chicago taking Williams or Maye with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 draft.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...t-him-high-in-2024-nfl-draft-per-report/

myka #2044950 11/21/23 06:17 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Bill Cowher was another Steelers coach that was way overrated. He should have won a lot more with the talent he had. The one Super Bowl he did win he was lucky.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
In the end, I don't give a toot about the Bears and who they draft or who they keep.

My toot begins and ends Dec 17th. His last time in Cleveland he was sacked nine times, 4.5 by Garrett. This time they'll be playing to protect him and for a draft pick.

Chalk up that W. Go a mere 3-3 with the rest of the schedule and we are in the playoffs.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Steelers 10 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard