Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
M
Legend
Legend
M
You can think that if you like. I believe you are missing the point, but that's ok. Watch DTR game 1 and game 2. If you can't see the difference that's fine. If you think losing games when we're running at 8 yards a clip and we start getting pass happy is ok, fine too. Theres people who say every play call is a great call except for the execution... I disagree.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
I’m on record many times saying results don’t lie. A win is a win no matter what and Stefanski has this season shown that he’s capable of staying cool when it matters\ most. Turning the game momentum around against the Steelers was impressive. That took many with surprise.

His play calling isn’t sensational but Kevin has installed discipline and cut out rookie plays and unnecessary mistakes, that makes a difference. Two field goal wins tells the story. Our defense is the backbone of our game but Ski has started to turn water into wine at the end of the game, that’s new for him.

With wins the chemistry gets better and everyone enjoying themselves and with that it creates a better winning mentality. I’m not going to look for negatives as long as we’re winning so let the joyride continue. Go Browns! (all the way)

mgh888 #2044955 11/21/23 07:17 PM
Legend
Legend
The first DTR game was confusing because of the uncertainty of DW injury. He was not notified he would start till game time.

The Steeler game he prepared the entire week however he is still a rookie.

The big picture regarding play calling IMO is over-stated. Any given play has many components. One guy can get beat and the play blows up.

Being a quality head coach is much more complicated. I cannot remember a time in 60 years of watching the Browns that play calling was not questioned. No matter the head coach or OC who was calling the plays.

KS deserves to be the head coach because he has proven himself in what he has done so far. Did every play call work? Of course not. Has he made coaching errors? Yes. Haslam has to look at the big picture which is: how has KS executed his many responsibilities? How does the team play under his leadership? This season the record could be different better or worse. That does not mean he is not the right guy to be head coach.

In his three seasons there have been many challenges. This year is no different. He has provided a steady hand no matter what has gone down.

The team has always played hard to his credit. His game plans have been good. He has developed an offense to best suit the players that play the games. Different players because of injuries he has adapted and changed plans. However one wishes to look at Woods and Schwartz. It is working now.

We can all debate about KS. I want him to continue as head coach. I hope Haslam sees it the same way. I have been critical of Berry. I have also given him credit. I think Berry and Stefanski are a good team. I believe if Haslam stays with them they will produce good results and with a little luck win a Super Bowl.

1 member likes this: GMdawg
O
Legend
Legend
O
One more thought on Ski; giving Jimmy D a game ball was pure class IMO.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
2 members like this: GMdawg, Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
I agree. It's too bad Jimmy had postgame duties for the broadcast. That would have been even more epic with a locker room full of players.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have intentionally avoided this thread because of the disdain of posters for KS.

Some random thoughts.

To me the best way to evaluate a coach is how he does versus expectations.

Marty could post a 500 record regardless of roster talent.

Staley has a great roster and underperforms. Imagine the browns with Herbert.

Aaron Donald made Staley a smart coach.

Bill Belechek is not as smart since Tom Brady left.

Jim Schwartz makes KS a smarter coach.

Tomlin finds a way to win without Big Ben.

There is too much bravado about KS abilities, but the he seems to adapt to the opponent and players.

Romeo once said that a properly executed and successful play will make a coach smart.

I think KS does a good job. He certainly does not deserve that trash that is stated about him on this website.

I have critiques, like not Benching Mayfield and letting Keenan go a few more games. But that is me.

we don’t always know the challenges of the internal decisions, but from a coaching perspective he appears competent.

My opinion does not matter. Haslam’s and Berry’s do.

Last edited by WooferDawg; 11/22/23 03:19 AM.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
He has maturedand learned from past mistakes.

Protecting his QB is one step forward. Making fast plays basically took Watt out of the game. That’s a sign of improvement since 2021 when he totally abandoned Baker and let him pay with his health because of immaturity and poor leadership. I’m glad Kevin has learn his lesson.

Install discipline and cutting out unnecessary mistakes is another sign of good management. Once again his handling of today’s roster compared to two seasons ago is day and night. Much of this is about maturity and not putting his ego in front of any decision.

Like I said before. Results don’t lie. Baker paid the price because of his own immaturity and stubbornness but Kevin Stefanski was also part of the problem. That’s history now but it’s good that he learned and rightfully deserve praise for his improvement.

I
Rookie
Rookie
I
Fire him now

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
He needs to relinquish play calling. If he does not then fire him!!!

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
R
Legend
Legend
R
I think Stefanski has had a really good season.

The Browns were due a loss. It's a shame it was predominantly due to the head coach, but he's built some goodwill, IMO.

I think you let the season play out. If the Browns do not make the playoffs, then you have the discussion.

L
Legend
Legend
L
There’s a reason very few HCs call their own plays, because it’s extremely hard to keep abreast of the whole game. The very few that do it well are the exception. Shanahan, Reid, Payton. The rest that try struggle. Stefanski gets tunnel vision. His situational playcalling and red zone playcalling is abysmal. He calls the same plays regardless of the personnel and that’s a problem. If he’s going to be a successful HC he has to let someone else call the plays. If not, so be it. Calling plays is more important to him than being. HC

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
B
Legend
Legend
B
Probably more due to self preservation. If you call the plays, you can't point to playcalling.

That said, I don't think he does a bad job, though this game wasn't very good.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Rishuz #2046131 11/26/23 10:44 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I think Stefanski has had a really good season.

The Browns were due a loss. It's a shame it was predominantly due to the head coach, but he's built some goodwill, IMO.

I think you let the season play out. If the Browns do not make the playoffs, then you have the discussion.
There was NO doubt we were due a loss. Look at these wins:

at Indy, SF, at Baltimore, Pittsburgh .. all the final play in our favor

Playing in Denver (who needed to win) after two huge wins by us ... that's a recipe for a loss

It all will depend on how we can overcome these injuries in the next few weeks

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
2nd String
2nd String
Aside from that insane double reverse and not running the ball, I am not sure about EXTENDING Stefanski's contract anymore... willynilly

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
It seems as though every game, the or third 3rd play scripted play on offense is a wide receiver screen to the left. It is so predictable that we have had 2 INTs on that play, for a pick 6. Does he not change the look ? Does he not realize he does this ? If I can notice this, I am sure the coaches on other teams, who are looking for tendencies, notice this. A double reverse works as a surprise, but using the same play several times a game is not a surprise, it becomes a tendency.

Turn the play calling over to someone not so predictable.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
well, the reverse/flea flicker type stuff around mid field is BEYOND predictable at this point .. you can set you watch to it. We gotta ditch that, especially with PJ Walker and Pierre Strong out there

There were probably 3 times we got too cute today and ALL of them resulted in big negative plays

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What? lol. The reverse/flea flicker is predictable?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't call it predictable, but just not very sensible to run with the personnel or situation.

First of all it was what? 2nd and 6 or 2nd and 7. Walker is fresh in the game. Why do that? We're averaging roughly 5 or 6 yards a carry. Just call a simple run play, up the middle/off tackle I don't care. Just keep it simple. Instead he brings in Strong who has been sitting the entire game and you expect him to run that play cold off the bench? That just isn't puting your players in the best position at all to succeed.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That is a logical response.

B
Legend
Legend
B
My feeling on that late flea flicker is Stefanski knew we were in deep trouble offensively and dug deep in the playbook hoping to catch some lightening in a bottle.

It didn't work.

When the schedule came out I saw the Denver game and chalked that up as a loss. We rarely win against Denver, the tradition continues. I was a little more confident about next weeks game, but not by much. Next weeks game is going to have a big impact on where this team ends up. Staying on west coast time for the week might have some positive impact.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
We were due for a bad game, it happens to the best of them. Now that it seems like our best player at every single position group is now injured, we're going to have more. Nobody can overcome that.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stefanski actually called a really good game.

DTR and Walker have accounted for 9 picks and we are sitting at like -7 with our turnover ratio.

You can't win many games this way.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
L
Legend
Legend
L
lol no..he didn't.. you have the the 32nd ranked defense against the run and your lead back had 9 carries..

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
2 members like this: WSU Willie, Jester
Legend
Legend
If DTR can't go next week, I would personally like to see Flacco over PJ since PJ's ceiling is about the same as Harrison Bryants floor as our emergency QB.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
If I describe Stefanski with one sentence it would be....

One step forward, two steps back.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by leadtheway
lol no..he didn't.. you have the the 32nd ranked defense against the run and your lead back had 9 carries..

And what is their ranking in pass defense?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
No idea. But if you're in game and your run game is working and your passing game isn't..... Should you call more pass plays or more run plays? It's no more complicated than that.... If you go run heavy and they stop what you were doing well, then we have a new discussion but it doesn't sound like that's what happened.

1 member likes this: Jester
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by leadtheway

And what is their ranking in pass defense?

they have had 12 takeaways in the 3 games prior.. they are just below middle of pack in pass defense in most categories, but they have defended 44 passes this year... def not their weak point.. and kinda irrelevant because we are the ones with the rookie 5th rounder who was completing 3.8 yards per completion with no tds and 4 int and 29 qbr. So that screams run the ball and don't ask him to carry the load. We did the opposite and got curb stomped

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I don't know the ranking of their pass defense, but I know the Dolphins scored 70 points on them.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Only a team Browns fans despise can make a 360 degree turn like the Broncos have. Do you think WE could ever do something like that?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
O
Legend
Legend
O
He should stop getting guys killed.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I did a breakdown of teams and their QBs for the season. I wanted to add top injuries to each team, however it was going to be way too time consuming and subjective on who's key players for each team.

Let's look at the AFC teams

1. Ravens 9-3 Jackson played all 12 games
2. Chiefs 8-3 Mahomes played all 11 games
3. Jaguars 8-3 Lawrence played all 11 games
4. Dolphins 8-3 Tagovailoa played all 11 games

Wild card teams at the moment
5. Steelers 7-4 Pickett played in all 11 games
6. Browns 7-4 three possibly now four QBs in 11 games
7. Colts 6-5 two different QBs in 11 games

Teams still in the hunt or not
8. Texans 6-5 Stroud played in all 11 games
9. Broncos 6-5 Wilson played in all 11 games
10. Bills 6-6 Allen played in all 11 games
11. Bengals 5-6 Burrow played in 10, Browning 1 game
12. Raiders 5-6 Garoppolo 6 games, O'Connell 6 games (started 5)

The rest of the teams are 4-7 or lower
13. Chargers - with Herbert
14. Titans - with Tannehill and Levis
15. Jets - Rogers for a play or two then Wilson then Boyle
16. Patriots with Jones

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
He should stop getting guys killed.

exactly, maybe stop doing designed qb runs with stick figure qb's or having them out the blocking linebackers on the outside. Its the most important position on the field and it needs to be protected such, we don't and this is the result. Atleast if Flacco plays KS can't call any designed runs and force him to let the QB be.... you know... a QB

Legend
Legend
The team played a bad game in Denver.

You don't move the ball before the snap. You don't line up in the neutral zone. You don't commit mental errors in critical situations.

You don't drop passes in the end zone. And you sure don't turn the ball over.

When you do all of the above on the road you lose. That is a sure formula to lose a game.

I could see Emerson huffing for air. Playing in that altitude is no joke.

If one can not see that the Browns are offensively challenged. Not much to add. Ford is not in the same zip code as Nick Chubb as a runner. His vision stinks. He runs into the backs of blockers when the hole is right off his shoulder.

We are playing a second string quarterback and then a third stringer. If you take away the third and longs the run/pass ratio was 50/50.

You flush a bad game and move on.

We beat the Ravens and the Steelers back to back and people think we are Super Bowl bound. Please.

I knew when we lost. All the BS would be back.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It only takes one game among such a fickle crowd.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Hi bone. I don't think it's fair to say it's BS and dismiss any criticism.

To your point I just counted the number of passes on first down in the first half of the game. I included any scrambles by DTR has a pass attempt. It's over 12.... Compared to maybe 3 run attempts. The final drive in the last moments of the first half stacked about five pass attempts comma but the numbers speak for themselves. It's not third down anfong that drove the high number of passes from looking at those play calls.

None of which should prevent you supporting KS 1000%

mgh888 #2046346 11/28/23 01:23 PM
Legend
Legend
I stated in the "Post Game." I thought it was bad game all the way around.

I did not like some of the play calling and I thought the defensive game calling was not so hot either. DT's played poorly.

It was a poor performance all the way around. That does not mean it is time to bring out the fire Stefanski bs.

The fact that the game was even in reach until the fumble on a play that I hated. That in itself was a miracle considering how poorly the team played.

I thought the TD pass to Bryant was a brilliant play. The two point conversion was a good play.

Criticism for a game can be valid. However, I do not think that when you lose a game it is fair to call for a coach to be fired.

I do support Stafanski because I think overall he is a good young head coach. That does not mean he will not make mistakes or have bad games.

This a flawed team on offense with key injuries. Expectations should be realistic. IMO if the team has a winning record and gets into the playoffs. They have over achieved as a team.

In general I believe the team is headed in the right direction with Berry and Stefanski. I do not want a regime change. IMO it would set the team back for years.

Last edited by bonefish; 11/28/23 01:29 PM.
3 members like this: Hammer, bugs, Homewood Dog
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I’ve come to the conclusion that this was just a bad game against a team we historically don’t play well against in a venue that’s very hard to play in. Hopefully we can get somewhat healthy and prepare for the Rams. Try and forget about it and move on.

M
Legend
Legend
M

This guy is available for hire and to take over play-calling duties for Stefanski.

Coach Bootyskins to the rescue!

Tackles are tackles.
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kevin Stefanski

Link Copied to Clipboard