Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Legend
Legend
R
I would grant him at least a two day moratorium for sure.

Legend
Legend
thanks my guy!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
2nd String
2nd String
[Linked Image from si.com]

Legend
Legend
I do not think that is accurate.

Check the numbers.

You do what is best in the moment to win. All based upon knowledge of the team and the matchups in play.

It is never a simple formula. When you think the run will work because of information. You run it.

When we had Nick and Hunt with Baker and Jacoby. We ran the ball. We used under center play action with 12 personnel.

We don't have that right now.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Another Hunt based observation:

When he was in KC, he was frequently used out of the backfield to catch passes, etc. Seems like the Browns only ever use him as a "hammer" and whenever he's in, D's might be ripe for a play-action to him.

Then again - we don't see practice, maybe he Medusa'd his hands or got the Dropsies...who knows?

Legend
Legend
Kareem has good hands. They have tried him on some screens. He is a decent blocker.

What is noticeable about Kareem is he no longer has burst. He still goes all out throwing his body determined to get that yard.

But he does not have that burst through a hole and is not a home run threat.

I doubt that he will be on the team next year.

We have to draft a couple backs or sign a guy and draft one.

Legend
Legend
I was just listening to JOK in a presser.

Impressive guy. Thoughtful, intelligent, articulate, and humble. I think he will be a Brown for at least another contract.

He is having a great season.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bonefish
Kareem has good hands. They have tried him on some screens. He is a decent blocker.

What is noticeable about Kareem is he no longer has burst. He still goes all out throwing his body determined to get that yard.

It started last year, and IIRC it coincides with him being a regular fixture on the injury list (this year it's groin, I think it was hammy last year (?)). I think his body is beginning to let him down.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I love watching JOK play. He plays a different game than most at linebacker.

His quickness separates him. That play with two OLmen. You just don't see guys read the move of the back like that.

He didn't try to blow up the blocking with a sacrifice to the blockers. He anticipated how the back would read the block.

He cut to the hole and made the play.

In his presser he gave credit to the DL and Schwartz. But he is something else.

A
Legend
Legend
A

What is also notable (different word than you used) is he wasn't on ANY team anywhere until Chub got hurt. He's done what he can do for the Browns, and that's admirable. He lays it out on every play.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Yes, he has lost his burst, but he’s still a damn good back at level 2 or 3 IMO and I think he now knows it’s not in the cards for him to get that big payday. I hope he’s on the team next year because next to Myles, IMO, he’s our number one locker-room guy and by all accounts a great teammate. I’d take him over strong all day long. When we have our starting line, he still gets good long runs. And hre’s still good for the short yardage and over the top jump runs.

BUT his blocking might need work, unless you missed him getting knocked on his butt against the Bears. That was one he’d like to do over.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 12/18/23 10:23 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: lampdogg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If you want to see the concepts of the offense, this is a great review

1 member likes this: Milk Man
Legend
Legend
Burns does a really good job there. It makes sense

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

2 members like this: JimDawg, Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Originally Posted by BADdog
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
I remember one drive in the game where Flacco was almost picked off twice in consecutive plays. I told myself, damn Joe they’re jumping your routes. Gota get out of the pocket and throw over the top of coverage when they do that. that’s what he did. I’m so glad we picked this guy up.

That's one area where he really needed to sync with the wide receivers. He likes to throw before they hit their breaks so that the ball makes it through the tight window. Problem is sometimes they don't break the way he thinks they will and then it goes for the INT. Like you said, start throwing more of it over top, which he thankfully did. Bears were selling out to jump on the "friendly" (as Eli Manning calls them) breaks and started leaving the long plays open.

I'll be honest, some of the Bears coverage schemes really had me scratching my head. I think they had a DE covering Njoku at one point. I get that you have that kind of stuff when you disguise your coverages and even more so with blitzes, but the mismatches there didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Sanchez actually mentioned on scramble plays ( which there were many ) He noticed Flacco waiting for the receiver to turn and look at him before he threw the ball.

Yeah, I remember him talking about that as well. I think that happened after he got burned on a couple INTs where he spot threw and the receiver went the other way.

Maybe. On broken plays, the receivers route is over, so there isn't a set spot for the qb to throw. He has to wait to make sure the receiver is looking.

In theory the receiver is taught to work towards and back to the QB but once eye contact is made the qb may make some motion for the receiver to start deep.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by BADdog
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
I remember one drive in the game where Flacco was almost picked off twice in consecutive plays. I told myself, damn Joe they’re jumping your routes. Gota get out of the pocket and throw over the top of coverage when they do that. that’s what he did. I’m so glad we picked this guy up.

That's one area where he really needed to sync with the wide receivers. He likes to throw before they hit their breaks so that the ball makes it through the tight window. Problem is sometimes they don't break the way he thinks they will and then it goes for the INT. Like you said, start throwing more of it over top, which he thankfully did. Bears were selling out to jump on the "friendly" (as Eli Manning calls them) breaks and started leaving the long plays open.

I'll be honest, some of the Bears coverage schemes really had me scratching my head. I think they had a DE covering Njoku at one point. I get that you have that kind of stuff when you disguise your coverages and even more so with blitzes, but the mismatches there didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Sanchez actually mentioned on scramble plays ( which there were many ) He noticed Flacco waiting for the receiver to turn and look at him before he threw the ball.

Yeah, I remember him talking about that as well. I think that happened after he got burned on a couple INTs where he spot threw and the receiver went the other way.

Maybe. On broken plays, the receivers route is over, so there isn't a set spot for the qb to throw. He has to wait to make sure the receiver is looking.

In theory the receiver is taught to work towards and back to the QB but once eye contact is made the qb may make some motion for the receiver to start deep.

The major takeaway is Joe can adapt very quickly and defenses just hate that. Especially the LB’s

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted by archbolddawg

What is also notable (different word than you used) is he wasn't on ANY team anywhere until Chub got hurt. He's done what he can do for the Browns, and that's admirable. He lays it out on every play.

Yes he puts it out there on every play, he has gotten us a lot of short yardage conversions and scored the most touchdowns (7) rushing since he was with the Chiefs in 18.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

5 members like this: PitDAWG, ScottPlayersFacemask, EveDawg
2nd String
2nd String
That was awesome Milk Man.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Luckily, even though he threw three INTs, he led us to a victory. Just pointing out facts.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Luckily, even though he threw three INTs, he led us to a victory. Just pointing out facts.

Hey it’s December, and we are wot wondering about why the Draft Forum is not up for choices that we do not have.

It’s been an interesting season that did not end with Chubb going down.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
KS has become much more comfortable and vocal as he's matured as a head coach. He's here for the long haul IMO

1 member likes this: Hammer
P
Legend
Legend
P

He was the first Browns QB to throw for over 200 yards in the 4th quarter since Brian Sipe. While doing so he led the O to three scoring drives in the 4th quarter. You may call that luck if you wish but I call that coming through in the clutch. When the chips were down and the game was on the line, he came through when it mattered the most. I'll take it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'll absolutely take it, too, but I'm still going to keep asking that he take better care of the ball in Qtrs 1 through 3.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
While that's true I think one has to consider what we're dealing with here. He's a QB that came off the couch less than a month ago that nobody else wanted. Considering that context I'm pretty happy with the results. It's not like they paid 230 million and 3 1st round draft picks for him. naughtydevil

He was an afterthought. A shot in the dark. I think when we ask something of someone we need to consider context and circumstances. IMO He and Brissett are by far the best return on investment I've seen in decades at the QB position for the Browns.

That doesn't mean I think they should go into next season with Flacco as the starter. I think that kind of talk is crazy. But considering where the Browns were at the QB position when they signed Flacco and the meager price they paid Flacco I'm more than happy. I mean you can't expect a Chevy to keep pace with a Ferrari.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I didn't say I'm unhappy with him or the results, and I fully recognize who and what he is, but I'm still going to keep asking that he take better care of the ball in Qtrs 1 through 3.

It's absolutely wonderful that he can sling it like that in the 4th Qtr and bail us out. On the flip side, if he doesn't basically hand them 14 points early on, he wouldn't have had to.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't disagree with you in theory. that's what everyone would hope to see from a complete QB. I'm just fully aware that if Flacco were capable of putting four quality quarters of football together he wouldn't have been sitting in his couch and be wearing a Browns uniform right now. I realize he has limitations that will most likely not permit us to see what it is you're asking for. He is what he is. Hopefully that will be just enough to keep winning games when you combine that with the Browns defense.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

To be completely fair, the one interception was a good throw but a phenomenal play by the DB. Thinking of the one on the goal line that was right after we'd hit a turnover ourselves...

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888

To be completely fair, the one interception was a good throw but a phenomenal play by the DB. Thinking of the one on the goal line that was right after we'd hit a turnover ourselves...
Originally Posted by mgh888

I think on another one Tillman either gave up on the route or didn't cut where he was supposed to.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

He was the first Browns QB to throw for over 200 yards in the 4th quarter since Brian Sipe. While doing so he led the O to three scoring drives in the 4th quarter. You may call that luck if you wish but I call that coming through in the clutch. When the chips were down and the game was on the line, he came through when it mattered the most. I'll take it.

I agree. In baseball a player can whiff 3X in a row, then in the 9th can hit that homer or 3 run scoring double deep in to the gap for a walk off and nobody is thinking about the strikeouts. They are talking about the player being solid in the clutch.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
We have to take the good and bad with Joe. That is just the way of it.

Joe takes chances. He will make mistakes.

At the same time he can make great plays.

I think if we can get him a two score lead. Things will calm down. We can run more. We can move the chains and not take risks on chunk plays.

What Joe does best is execute play action from under center. He is really good at play fakes and ball handling. When he fakes the hand off on play action he is silky smooth. He throws darts in rhythm.

As these last three games go by. He should settle in with this offense. If we get him leads. We will kick ass.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A big part of Joes success the next three games will be getting the big three back playing together: Bitonio, Pocic, and Teller. Joe left some big time plays on the field last game that wasn’t his fault. The patchwork line did alright within reason. It’s understandable. However, there were quite a few pass plays he had to release the ball early to avoid a sack.

As for the running game, watching the play breakdowns I posted earlier the run game had no chance. Between the Bears line and backers doing a great job and also our line either not turning their man or the lineman not getting to their spots in time for the play to develop.

T
Legend
Legend
T
saying an INT is not the @uarterbacks fault at all is a lot like blaming a holder for a missed FG or PAT.

Go Browns

We want Moore.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Bears 17 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard