Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think if they plan to bring Jarvis Landry back that they would insist that he would have to get his drawing penaltys for taunting under control, down to zero.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know that bringing in somebody at this point would do any good. Take a look at our practice squad and you will find a name we bring in.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I would love to see Jarvis back in Orange and Brown.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I don't know that bringing in somebody at this point would do any good. Take a look at our practice squad and you will find a name we bring in.

Normally, you'd be right. But this year?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Watkins? He's someone who can be moved up if Moore can't go IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by DaveyD
I would love to see Jarvis back in Orange and Brown.

Why not?

This entire season has played out like a bad, un-sellable Hollywood script.

At this point, I'm pretty much down for anything.
Dust off Webster Slaughter, for all I care.

This season is too much.
I've been LMAO every week.
Please.... bring on more crazy. This team obviously feeds on it, so.... why not?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: OrangeSky
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Watkins? He's someone who can be moved up if Moore can't go IMO

Saw this on Cleveland.com this morning-It is from Mary Kay and she says that Moore and Coop would probably be able to play this weekend if needed and it seems like Okoronkwo, Delpit and Walker are looking to be back for the playoffs.

The surprising moment when Amari Cooper hurt his heel during historic outing; outlook for Elijah Moore: Browns Insider
Updated: Dec. 31, 2023, 3:05 a.m.|Published: Dec. 30, 2023, 6:43 p.m.
Ceveland Browns wide receiver Amari Cooper vs. Houston Texans, December 24, 2023

Subscribers can gift articles to anyone
By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio — As if Amari Cooper’s record-setting 265-yard performance in Houston wasn’t amazing enough, it’s all the more remarkable considering when he suffered the heel injury that cost him Thursday night’s 37-20 playoff-clinching victory over the Jets.

While most thought Cooper hurt the heel on his 75-yard catch and run for a TD with 12:04 left in the first quarter of the 36-22 victory over the Texans that made it 14-0, he was already banged up by then.

He actually suffered it on the opening play of the game — the 53-yard post from Joe Flacco on which he got behind the defense to corral the perfectly thrown ball. The tone-setting catch set up Jerome Ford’s direct-snap 4-yard TD run three plays later.

MORE CLEVELAND BROWNS COVERAGE
Brownie New Year: Darcy cartoon
Browns vs. Bengals preview: 3 things to know as the Browns travel to Cincinnati
When do the Browns play the Bengals in Week 18?

But the heel injury didn’t stop Cooper from catching the contested deep ball down the left side and motoring another 35 yards to the end zone for the long TD with one defender eating turf, and the other unable to catch him.

By the end of the first half, he had caught 4 of 7 targets for 173 yards and the epic score. He stormed back out in the second half to catch a 7-yard touchdown pass that made it 28-7 with 2:35 left in the third quarter, and kept rolling despite the pain.

Former Browns receiver Reggie Langhorne said in the press box on Thursday night that people don’t realize how hard it is to run with a heel injury like that. It might not sound like much, but it’s excruciating.

Kevin Stefanski pulled Cooper and most of the rest of the starters from the game in the fourth quarter with the Browns up 36-7 — but Cooper was only 10 yards shy of breaking Josh Gordon’s club record of 261 receiving yards in a game, set in 2013. It didn’t matter to Stefanski. He knew his No. 1 receiver was already ailing, and the Browns had another game coming up in four days at home against the Jets, with a playoff berth at stake.

As fate would have it, Davis Mills replaced Case Keenum and threw two TD passes less than two minutes apart — with an onside kick recovery in between — to close to 36-22. Back in went Flacco, Cooper and most of the rest of the starters. By then, Cooper — who wanted 300 yards more than anything — knew of the record, and easily snared the 13-yard pass from Flacco on fourth-and-7 to set the record at 265 on his 11th catch of the day to help close out the game.

Cooper, who had amazingly only missed two games due to injury in his nine-year career, believed he could rally and face the Jets, but the heel wouldn’t cooperate in the short week. He grimaced when he tried to run in pregame warmups, and dejectedly walked up into the tunnel with receivers coach Chad O’Shea.

Fortunately for the Browns, David Njoku (6 catches, 134 yards), Elijah Moore (5 for 61 and a TD) and Ford (2 TDs, including a 50-yarder), came up big for Flacco.

But the fact that Cooper set the record, and became just the second receiver in NFL history, behind Terrell Owens, to record a 200-yard game with three teams, with a painful heel injury is a testament to the player he is.

With the long break between the Jets game and the season finale in Cincinnati next Saturday or Sunday, Cooper might be available for that game. But if the Browns have the No. 5 seed wrapped up and no shot at the AFC North crown — due to the Ravens beating the Dolphins on Sunday — Stefanski might be inclined to rest him and other starters in Cincy.

Elijah Moore’s status
Moore had everyone deeply concerned Thursday night when his body twitched after C.J. Mosley planted him into the grass head-first after a 22-yard catch. But by the time the medical staff helped him up and he walked to the medical tent, he was doing much better and the staff was confident he’d soon be OK.

Nonetheless, given the force of the hit and the involuntary arm and upper body movements, Moore was admitted to the hospital Thursday night and released Friday morning. But the hospital stay was for precautionary reasons and the Browns expect him to make a full recovery soon.

It marked the second documented concussion of Moore’s three-year pro career. He also suffered one in Week 3 of the 2021 season with the Jets, and missed one game the following week.

If Moore is anything like Cooper, he could be back for the Bengals game — in the event the Browns need him. With his excellent game against his former team Thursday night, Moore now has a career-high 59 receptions for 640 yards this season. His two TD catches are fourth-most on the team.

Nick Chubb volunteered his services for Thursday night
Chubb, who helped set the tone Thursday night by donning his Batman mask and smashing the guitar in pregame as the Dawg Pound captain, made it known to the Browns that he wanted to be part of the celebration and help in any way he could. It was only fitting that he got the party started.

The Browns have dedicated their season to Chubb, and his presence on the sideline was a huge boost to the team. He also volunteered to help the crowd get fired up before the Pittsburgh game Nov. 19. He was still on crutches then, but made an appearance on the scoreboard before the game and drew thunderous cheers.

Chubb, who had his ACL repaired on Nov. 14, the second surgery for this injury, is walking without crutches now and only wearing a small brace on the left knee. He’s still on track for a return to the field in 2024.

He was thrilled to be part of the festivities Thursday.

“It’s great,” he said of the Browns clinching as he left the locker room. “I’m excited.”

Deshaun Watson headed back to L.A. but played a role Thursday night
Watson is headed back to Los Angeles to continue rehabbing his surgically repaired throwing shoulder, but played a key role Thursday night, supporting Flacco and others on the sideline, and chest-bumping him after his 50-yard pass play for a TD to Ford.

Watson (5-1 this season) was cleared to be on the sideline because he was more than a month out from surgery. He was there with Chubb, Grant Delpit and other injured Browns. He’s headed back to L.A. to continue rehabbing with his surgeon’s medical team, but will likely rejoin the team for the playoffs.

Ogbo Okoronkwo and other injured defenders still hoping to play
Okoronkwo (torn pec) and other injured Browns defenders are still trying to make it back for the playoffs. Okoronkwo, who will likely need surgery after the season, still has a shot to play. He returned to the team last week after getting a second and maybe third opinion, and will try to hold off until after the playoffs.

Delpit (groin surgery) also hopes to make it back, as does linebacker Anthony Walker Jr. (knee scope). The Browns will almost be at full strength on defense if the three return.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...ook-for-elijah-moore-browns-insider.html

Last edited by northlima dawg; 01/01/24 05:05 PM.
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20

I remember him from the Bengals. Quite a few of their message boards fans wanted him to start over Dalton.

That was my point. Pretty sure this dude wasn't better than the red squirt gun, err rifle.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
“Watson was winning and running the offense well in his games, and now Joe Flacco is doing the same.

After decades of turmoil, we should be grateful the Browns have had TWO winners and leaders like this playing the most difficult and important position in sports...in the same season.”

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
“Watson was winning and running the offense well in his games, and now Joe Flacco is doing the same.

That feels a little bit like it's failing to recognize what Joe has done - also glosses over the 3 games where opponents scored a combined total of 6 points when DW started.

It's great that Watson finally started to look really good - never better than when playing TN and 2TD at 81% completion. And DW is without question the future of the Browns (which this twitter posts seems at pains to make sure we don't lose sight of) ... but Joe throwing an average of 323 yards per game at over 60% completion deserves his accolades. Focusing on the total yards per game instead of passing yards per game seems like deliberate manipulation. Pretty damn sure folks would be unhappy if someone on Twitter used that stat to try and support former Browns QB's.

Just enjoy the wins & season. Worry about what DW brings to the table next year when he is healthy and playing.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mgh888
Just enjoy the wins & season. Worry about what DW brings to the table next year when he is healthy and playing.

This right here. There's a whole offseason to wring our hands over Watson all over again. While I'm always super curious to dive into the X's and O's behind the why's, I also just want to enjoy as much as possible out of this season. Living in Cinci, with their similar but also very different season, reminds me we've had something special going this season.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I don't view the situation as Flacco vs DW going forward...for numerous reasons that have been discussed already. I view it as a team in its window having their starting QB in rehab after surgery on his throwing shoulder.

How many times do you hear that many surgeries take a year to fully heal? Yeah...most of those are 'better' within that timeframe...but to FULLY heal?

I like DTR, but he isn't ready to be the man on a team with these expectations. If Flacco is willing to be the backup - and maybe starter until DW fully heals - then we would be fools to not re-sign him. I know the contract and $$$ will matter...but we cannot go cheap here.

I want to believe that Flacco is not going to take this newfound credibility and go off to be a bridge starter for a new guy...I want to believe that he has no interest in being on a team that is rebuilding...I DO believe that of the teams in a playoff window, his best place to be is with the Browns...or the Steelers unfortunately. At 39 in '24 we are a pretty good spot for a guy like Flacco right now.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
well, he's experienced lol .. not sure any good anymore (or ever)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Started 16 games for the Bills last year, but couldn't get off the Jets practice squad this year. That's... interesting.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

So goes for my "Haack Attack" t-shirt, coffee mug, pen, stocking cap business idea.

Tackles are tackles.
3 members like this: JimDawg, ScottPlayersFacemask, Milk Man
Legend
Legend
I'm sorry for your loss, but on the up side, it means that Bojorquez is healthy again smile

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Also, a Bedford High School alum.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Lol.

1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Lol.

Literally how I feel every class I coach at my gym, even when it has 30 year olds in it rofl

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask

That feels a little bit like it's failing to recognize what Joe has done - also glosses over the 3 games where opponents scored a combined total of 6 points when DW started.

It's great that Watson finally started to look really good - never better than when playing TN and 2TD at 81% completion. And DW is without question the future of the Browns (which this twitter posts seems at pains to make sure we don't lose sight of) ... but Joe throwing an average of 323 yards per game at over 60% completion deserves his accolades. Focusing on the total yards per game instead of passing yards per game seems like deliberate manipulation. Pretty damn sure folks would be unhappy if someone on Twitter used that stat to try and support former Browns QB's.

Ooook..."we should be grateful the Browns have had TWO winners and leaders like this playing the most difficult and important position in sports...in the same season"

I posted copy/pasted that quote b/c it is recognizing both QBs and being appreciative of what they have done for this amazing season. This isn't a comparison on who is better or who played the better teams rolleyes

The whole twitter post points that out and it doesn't say anything about next year, lol.

Legend
Legend
I really got a kick out of this. In fact I was waiting for it to happen. So funny how the narrative changes and how these people act like they knew all along.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Oooook... As I said, it felt manufactured the way the post talked about the QBs and then focusing on total offensive yards per game. Nothing against you, just feels like a bit of a fake narrative. I disagree it's not a QB comparison, to me it reads like framing the discussion as Joe is doing just as well as DW did, while the reality is something different.

As I stated, I'm focissing on this season. Not even sure why journalists or sports writers or whoever wrote that would be talking about Watson.... If anything it'd make more sense to give KS the kudos.

Hopefully It's OK for people to have and share different opinions.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/03/24 06:22 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c:

Extra insurance..... a quality pickup.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
j/c:

So were both my Parents back in 1967.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Yes but were your parents at the Bottlegate game.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
and he wore a northcutt jersey

1 member likes this: GMdawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Oh, I remember.....and I'll never be able to forget it.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, JimDawg
Legend
Legend
Listening to the Jim Schwartz presser today was interesting.

He spoke very highly of Kevin, the city and the entire organization. He has really been impressed by how Kevin has been able to keep the team on the task at hand.

"His even keel with the ups and downs of an emotional game and season has been really impressive." *( maybe not an exact quote but really close)

Asked about if he is interested in a head coaching job. He replied "I am really happy here but you aspire to the top of your profession."

If he gets an offer. He may well decide to take it. I wonder how we will handle that?

I would guess KS would promote from within and keep what we are doing on defense in place.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
Listening to the Jim Schwartz presser today was interesting.

He spoke very highly of Kevin, the city and the entire organization. He has really been impressed by how Kevin has been able to keep the team on the task at hand.

"His even keel with the ups and downs of an emotional game and season has been really impressive." *( maybe not an exact quote but really close)

Asked about if he is interested in a head coaching job. He replied "I am really happy here but you aspire to the top of your profession."

If he gets an offer. He may well decide to take it. I wonder how we will handle that?

I would guess KS would promote from within and keep what we are doing on defense in place.

I really hope Schwartz stays.

There is no salary cap on coaches, what if we offer him like 2x what he'd make as a head coach to stay a couple more years while we stll have Watson under contract?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Man, losing him would absolutely suck.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Barring Harbaugh leaving Xichigan or Belichick leaving the Patriots, Schwartz would likely have his pick of destinations. After the quick work he performed in turning soft and average into nasty and dominate, it would stand to reason.

That said, these are still his roots, this is where it all started, he was very vocal about how much it meant to him from day one. I think he'll stay another year... unless, of course, we hoist the trophy this year.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Of course I want Schwartz to remain.

But when you have success like we are having. When jobs open up they are looking for wizards.

Everyone knows Schwartz is a great DC. He has been a head coach. So, he will measure opportunities. He will know if it is worth leaving.

We have a good thing going on here right now. But if we do lose Jim. I think Kevin will probably promote from within.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Man, losing him would absolutely suck.

And that helps present the double edged sword. You want the best in the business at both the OC and DC positions along with a strong support staff in your coaching ranks. We saw just how much difference that has made on the D side of the ball this season. By contrast if they live up to those expectations it makes it hard to keep them around for long. In the Browns case with Schwartz it is sadly the nature of the beast.

Hopefully the right offer to lure him away this coming off season will not present itself and he will be here for at least one more season. I think that's the best we can hope for at this point in time.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am pretty sure that at one point Schwartz has said that he doesn't want to be a HC again

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c:

Oh, I remember.....and I'll never be able to forget it.

So much craziness. Don't have hear about the dumb Denny's menu, the ridiculousnes of you are what your record says your are and so on.

Though...I might reconsider. In that pic he isn't showing any emotion, so maybe we should fire him. naughtydevil

Side note: Am I the only one thinking he looks like a younger version of Obi-wan in that pic? Dude became full Jedi this year.

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
Of course I want Schwartz to remain.

But when you have success like we are having. When jobs open up they are looking for wizards.

Everyone knows Schwartz is a great DC. He has been a head coach. So, he will measure opportunities. He will know if it is worth leaving.

We have a good thing going on here right now. But if we do lose Jim. I think Kevin will probably promote from within.

You would think Schwartz would not take just any available job. Coaches rarely get a second let alone a third chance at a head coaching job. Jim will be very selective in taking a job with the right GM. It'll be interesting.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Jester
I am pretty sure that at one point Schwartz has said that he doesn't want to be a HC again

And as soon as I type that I go to cleveland.com and there is an insider article titled:

Browns defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz aspires to be a head coach again

Because it is an insider article I cannot open it but the title makes me look foolish

Last edited by Jester; 01/04/24 06:37 PM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes Part Deux

Link Copied to Clipboard