Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
I do not think he is a one read quarterback.

Nor do I think he wants to run. IMO he prefers shotgun because he wants to see the field. He wants to throw the ball. He does hold the ball more than most because he uses his mobility to extend plays.

I believe we have to develop the scheme to use his strengths.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted by bonefish

Nor do I think he wants to run. IMO he prefers shotgun because he wants to see the field. He wants to throw the ball. He does hold the ball more than most because he uses his mobility to extend plays.

He extends plays because he can't read a defense well pre snap. This is why when it comes to drafting a qb I prefer one who played in a more pro style offense in college. Watson has never really played in that type of offense. Reading a defense is not his strength at all. Just another reason why he is not worth 230 mill

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
I’m not worried about DWs fumbles or int as a trigger, but very worried we can’t keep him on the field healthy. I worry him and DTR are made of glass. At least until I see either play a full or most of a season.

One thing about Baker…the guy was durable and available.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by slick

He extends plays because he can't read a defense well pre snap. This is why when it comes to drafting a qb I prefer one who played in a more pro style offense in college. Watson has never really played in that type of offense. Reading a defense is not his strength at all. Just another reason why he is not worth 230 mill

He can read a defense pre snap. Hell, I can do that from my couch.

He can’t read defenses post snap.

That’s why he holds the ball and that’s why Stefanski has to turn him into a RB.

1 member likes this: slick
Legend
Legend
I agree about pre-snap.

So, far this year IMO there just has not been a good enough sample size.

So now this will all be new. His last time on the field was damn good. We really do not know what we are going to get???

We will not know until at least halfway through the year. So far it has been Start-Stop - Start-Stop-Start -Stop.

I will be patient. That is why this hire is important. Until we see DW in this new scheme we don't know how he will look.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

That was the talk all last off-season...didn't happen. Why not? Here we are after another season without really knowing what DW is/can-be and we are talking - again - about changing the system to meet his skillset. I hope it finally happens soon.

I think he's a one-read QB because he wants to run the ball...and vice versa. JMO

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Van pelts offense requires a qb to read the defense pre snap and during the play. Obviously this is not watsons strength. Which is why he usually ranks in the bottom ten of ball release. He is a shotgun one read qb . His instinct is to run with the ball.

I have to disagree with this comment. Watson was always known as a player who was good at reading defenses. He is more of a scrambler than a running QB, altough he is effective at running. In todays NFL, if your QB can run, he does. His release is not quick, because he is able to keep plays alive, and make plays out of structure.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Ever since we acquired DW it has been a start/stop situation.

After this season ended. IMO KS realized the scheme has to change. AVP and Mitchell are good at what they do. But they are not what is needed now.

KS preference in offensive schemes is the Kubiak/Shanahan system which is a version of the WCO.

Until we see DW play in the new scheme. And see him string together a number of games. We are in the dark.

I have seen enough of DW playing quarterback to know he can read a defense.

What I need to see is DW execute the Browns offense. Right now we don't know what our offense will be.

DW tenure as a Cleveland Brown has been out of whack. I will remain patient. My fear is his ability to stay healthy. Injury is random. However, if DW is in a constant state of hurting with some kind of injury. It will be a concern. He really needs to play this coming season. And he needs to be what he was traded for and that is a franchise quarterback.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Because of the suspension and injuries we really haven’t seen what DW can be here He has flashed signs of being a very good WB but it’s hard to sustain when you’re in and out of the lineup. It’s hard to achieve any continuity with that kind of situation. I still believe DW can be a good Quarterback for us. The new coaches we hire to work with him will be important.

P
Legend
Legend
P
While I don't know about this for sure as it relates to the long haul, what I did see of watson is that he begins to panic and run with the ball prematurely. Often he still had a relatively stable pocket and he just took off. Now before anyone takes me accusing watson of anything, I couldn't see what he was seeing downfield. I do know however that most of the great QB's allow as much time as possible for their WR's to come back towards them to give them a target to throw to before they resort to the run and that wasn't what I was seeing from my perspective.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
Van pelts offense requires a qb to read the defense pre snap and during the play. Obviously this is not watsons strength. Which is why he usually ranks in the bottom ten of ball release. He is a shotgun one read qb . His instinct is to run with the ball.

I have to disagree with this comment. Watson was always known as a player who was good at reading defenses. He is more of a scrambler than a running QB, altough he is effective at running. In todays NFL, if your QB can run, he does. His release is not quick, because he is able to keep plays alive, and make plays out of structure.

Extending plays cam be good yes but not the majority of the time. It forces receivers to have to break off thier original route and fin where watson is. Also it makes it very hard for offensive linemen to block for him. It's chaos. You can't consistently win in the NFL with a chaotic offense

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
Unitas to Berry. Manning to Harrison. Those connections don't happen overnight.

As a Brown it is hard to know what DW will do. I don't know --yet.

DW has simply not played enough for us. This year something needs to happen. He needs to string games together and become part of the scheme.

I am watching this hire closely. It is important. I know many a big deal about play calling. I do not. No matter who ends up calling plays people will bitch and it will all come back to KS. So, play calling is not that important to me. Plays will succeed and fail.

What is important is how the offense works as a unit. Berry needs to make some changes in personnel. I am open to trading Wills for a receiver. Starting Jones at LT and Conklin at RT. Then add real depth at the position.

The new OC will have to figure out what will work with the players we have. It is more than DW. We do not know what Nick will look like. The blocking assignments may change a lot. We need a clear number two receiver. DW will be part of this process. He will not make the decision but he will influence the decision.

Until I am able to see DW in this new offense. I will be patient.

R
Legend
Legend
R
The hire is super important. Stefanski is running out of people to fire for consistently coming up short.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Stefanski will get an extension, so he wasn’t looking to throw anyone under a bus.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I think the quality control coaches better be looking over their shoulders next year.

Legend
Legend
That is BS.

Legend
Legend
Pretty sure that was a joke.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
"The hire is super important. Stefanski is running out of people to fire for consistently coming up short."

I don't think this was meant to be a joke.

Legend
Legend
Nope. You're right. Thought you were responding to his previous post since you didn't quote it.

"I think the quality control coaches better be looking over their shoulders next year."

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Rishuz
The hire is super important. Stefanski is running out of people to fire for consistently coming up short.

Yeah, he really screwed up firing Woods and hiring Schwartz. Sometimes I don't think you hear yourself.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Sometimes I say things to get a rise out of people who I enjoy triggering.

The first comment was half joke, half serious.

The second comment was a joke.

I like to use this board to entertain myself.

P
Legend
Legend
P

That helps explain a lot. Thanks for the clarification.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from y.yarn.co]

1 member likes this: Rishuz
B
Legend
Legend
B
Ever since we acquired DW it has been a start/stop situation.

After this season ended. IMO KS realized the scheme has to change. AVP and Mitchell are good at what they do. But they are not what is needed now.

KS preference in offensive schemes is the Kubiak/Shanahan system which is a version of the WCO.

Until we see DW play in the new scheme. And see him string together a number of games. We are in the dark.

I have seen enough of DW playing quarterback to know he can read a defense.

What I need to see is DW execute the Browns offense. Right now we don't know what our offense will be.

DW tenure as a Cleveland Brown has been out of whack. I will remain patient. My fear is his ability to stay healthy. Injury is random. However, if DW is in a constant state of hurting with some kind of injury. It will be a concern. He really needs to play this coming season. And he needs to be what he was traded for and that is a franchise quarterback.

I agree. We have been running a 20th century based offense 2.5 decades in to the 21st century.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think you fit things around the players on your roster. Until watson arrived this team didn't have the QB to run what you are describing. He was suspended for 11 games last year so they still didn't have a QB to build a 21st century offense around. This year things began to gel just before his injury. At that point in time they were starting to install that 21st century O you refer to. I believe they just decided to bring in a staff that was better suited to do that.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Sometimes I say things to get a rise out of people who I enjoy triggering.

The first comment was half joke, half serious.

The second comment was a joke.

So, you like being a troll.
In my world, you and Throw Long get the same amount of respect. All serious.

gmstrong

-----------------

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Cheers: To Kareem Hunt for taking the high road.

Jeers: Stump Mitchell and his bizarre PR campaign with the local media after getting deep 6'd.

Legend
Legend
Hunt was listed on the Browns' injury report with a groin issue for much of the season. He played through the injury and finished with 10 rushing touchdowns, including one in Cleveland's wild-card loss to Houston.

Typically a ruptured adductor can sideline players for at least six to eight weeks and require immediate surgery. Philadelphia Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson fought through a similar injury last season en route to the Super Bowl.

"Well, I'll say this about Kareem. I'm so appreciative of him and the way he played and the style with which he played. Obviously, pre-injury to Nick [Chubb], we didn't have a spot, but to Kareem's credit, he stayed in great shape. We brought him in, worked him out. He looked great, picked back up the system right away and played really good football for us and made plays in high-leverage moments and scored touchdowns," Stefanski said. "He provided huge value for us and he's a battler. Love the way he runs. The style with which he runs gave us a huge jolt that we needed."

I've been very selective about the jerseys I've bought the last few years. Gonna have to add a Hunt to the collection. Can wear this one with pride.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by FATE
Hunt was listed on the Browns' injury report with a groin issue for much of the season. He played through the injury and finished with 10 rushing touchdowns, including one in Cleveland's wild-card loss to Houston.

Typically a ruptured adductor can sideline players for at least six to eight weeks and require immediate surgery. Philadelphia Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson fought through a similar injury last season en route to the Super Bowl.

"Well, I'll say this about Kareem. I'm so appreciative of him and the way he played and the style with which he played. Obviously, pre-injury to Nick [Chubb], we didn't have a spot, but to Kareem's credit, he stayed in great shape. We brought him in, worked him out. He looked great, picked back up the system right away and played really good football for us and made plays in high-leverage moments and scored touchdowns," Stefanski said. "He provided huge value for us and he's a battler. Love the way he runs. The style with which he runs gave us a huge jolt that we needed."

I've been very selective about the jerseys I've bought the last few years. Gonna have to add a Hunt to the collection. Can wear this one with pride.

Hunt seemed to have a VERY abrupt drop-off in performance the season prior to this one (which clearly (IMO) earned him his initial exit from the team). IIRC, he was brought back this year and pretty much instantly was a staple on the injured list despite playing (I think) every game in which he was on the roster.

So my question is, is his pending surgery going to bring him back to close to the level he was when he got here?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Muscle tears are generally respond well to surgical repair.

Also, from what I understand, the abductor is a group of about 6 or 7 muscles.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
So my question is, is his pending surgery going to bring him back to close to the level he was when he got here?

Based on Stump's comments, I have my doubts. We'll see, though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by FATE

Hunt seemed to have a VERY abrupt drop-off in performance the season prior to this one (which clearly (IMO) earned him his initial exit from the team). IIRC, he was brought back this year and pretty much instantly was a staple on the injured list despite playing (I think) every game in which he was on the roster.

I think he started to look different at the tail end of '22...although he may have been dealing with an injury at that time as well.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’m cool with bringing him back, but... All he does is score touchdowns. Do we want a guy like that? wink

gmstrong

-----------------

2 members like this: FATE, jfanent
Legend
Legend
Personally I wouldn't bring Hunt back unless it was an emergency 3rd string back or something

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
He won’t get big money from us or anybody. How about we thank him for his contribution after Chubb was hurt and show him some -even if it’s just a little bit - gratitude toward the hometown dawg?

gmstrong

-----------------

2 members like this: jfanent, GMdawg
O
Legend
Legend
O
Hunt should have a backup role if he will sign cheap. He’s put it on the line for us several times. I think this surgery may make him serviceable as the 2nd back again. But ford showed some chops for the running game too. I couldn’t decide if it was more line play or him when he struggled. I’d be fine going into next year with Chubb, Ford, and Hunt. Strong is more a Special Teams guy. I don’t care if we see him carry a ton. And in short and goal, Hunt is a force to reckon with.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Fire Offensive Coaches

Link Copied to Clipboard