DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Milk Man Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 12:33 PM

Posted By: The Big G Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 12:43 PM
A little surprised, especially about AVP. But also Mitchell.doesn’t AVP get some credit for prepping five starting quarterbacks and as for Mitchell, he lost Chubb, for Pete’s sake. I am glad he didn’t sack Callahan because the fifth string tackles sucked.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 12:45 PM
None of this means anything unless we hire a new OC and take playcalling away from Stefanski.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 12:47 PM
I think that's exactly what's going on here.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by FATE

There are reports that AVP is still under contract but that could simply be a formality.

But to your comment, how so? If anything, I think it is about finding an OC that might be more aligned with Watson's skill set if the reports are true.

Stefanski should not give up play calling. He had a fantastic year.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 12:57 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 01:04 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 01:05 PM
Too slow.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 01:14 PM
Funny, everyone talks about how great the season was yet 5 days after being eliminated from the playoffs - offensive heads roll. Might be just a coincidence, but it would appear that maybe Haslam wasn't so happy with the results and lack of meeting expectations. IMHO, they should have cut the head off the snake instead all his minions, but somebody needed to take the fall.

Obviously not everyone in Berea is happy with what they saw this year. I wonder if they are done yet?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 01:18 PM
Strange and surprising news.

My initial reaction feels like same old Browns.

Granted we don’t know what went on behind the scenes that lead to these decisions but it feels off.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

There are reports that AVP is still under contract but that could simply be a formality.

But to your comment, how so? If anything, I think it is about finding an OC that might be more aligned with Watson's skill set if the reports are true.

I guess it just looks and smells like it. If it's about Watson's skill set, why are the RB and TE coaches gone as well? Seems weird to me. Seems like they already know who is coming in and already know who he wants to work with. That leads to the human nature of assuming he's a little higher on the food chain than a non-playcalling OC. Just my impression.

And this is not to be confused with my preference. I agree 100% with your thoughts on Stefanski and his playcalling, particularly this year. I'd say he has arrived firmly as a strong play-calling HC that makes everything else seem easy as well. There is never the feeling that he's chasing his ass trying to manage everything anymore.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 01:56 PM
I think the evaluation is that if the team is going to go to the next level, they had to overhaul the offense. I think they saw what Schwartz did for the defense and will try to replicate that on offense. Leading the league in turnovers is not an offensive category that a team should lead the league in. Besides injuries that was the main factor that held this team back from winning division and playoff game.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 02:29 PM
These moves on offense are all about who it is that replaces those who were let go.

Offensive concepts change in the NFL. Mike McDaniel is an excellent example. The Dolphins play design is innovative.

What we know is KS and AB are committed to DW. They have to be. It is not a road with a turn around. Ford is no Nick Chubb.

And right now we do not know for sure how Nick will come back. We know he will do everything possible.

There will be changes on offense. The offensive line will change to some degree. The receiving unit will change. If Cooper remains a solid number two receiver has to be added. The future of the running back position must be addressed. What is realistic to expect from Nick and for how long?

A new OC must bring added value. Who will it be and what can he add?

KS has adapted his offense to the players on the team. What is he looking for from his OC? Perhaps it is game planning to attack opponent defenses.

Ideas specific to game planning week to week.

When this hire is made it will be interesting to see his background strengths.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 02:33 PM
I am particularly surprised by the Stump Mitchell firing he has been a fixture here, surviving a head coaching change. The TE's coach firing is mildly surprising given the success that Njoku had this year. my first thought is that AVP's offense did not fit with Watson and the team is all in on setting Watson up for success? If the premise is that they know who they want to bring in, I wonder who it will be?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 02:41 PM
The TE's coach firing is mildly surprising given the success that Njoku had this year.

I think Njoku's success is directly tied to his opportunities.

He had 123 targets this year compared to 80 last year compared to 53 the year before. His talent was always there and people saw it in his first two seasons in the NFL when he was being targeted 74 times on average. I don't think Njoku's success is directly tied to his coach (although it could be) but, IMO more about his increased role (finally) at getting the rock.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 02:46 PM
Funny how you say AVP's offense - I'm not so sure that's accurate. I'm pretty sure that AVP was the QB coach too. If this is for Watson, is it player driven, or FO driven? If it's Watson driven, where have we heard this song and dance before?
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 02:50 PM
Watson wanted the OC, RB coach and TE coach fired after playing five games this season??

There's a song and dance we've heard before, just not the one you're speaking of.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 02:53 PM
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 02:55 PM
I think in the NFL you need a top 10 offense to advance
Far in the playoffs. In the Browns last 2 playoff appearances
They accomplished nothing. Not 1 AFC title game to show for it.
And with the money allocated to Watson I'm sure his opinion
Weighs heavy behind closed doors. Maybe he felt it was
Time to change offensive coaches in order for himt to prosper.
The Browns haven't had a lethal offense in many decades
You can't reach a SB with a paper tiger defense and a so so
Offense.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 02:58 PM
jc...

Too many offensive coaches involved in the process and the end result was additional confusion.

Best way to get the most out of some QBs is to ''simplify'' the offense, not expand the offense and make it more complex and more confusing. Too many voices being allowed to influence the focus of your QB, pushing their opinions, filling a QBs ears with their thoughts and opinions simply feeds the "confusion".

Might be that the Browns are doing all they can to simplify and streamline the offensive process.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by steve0255
Funny, everyone talks about how great the season was

And some people keep talking about how taking such an injury riddled team with no continuity at the QB position to the playoffs sucked. Like that makes sense.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 03:03 PM
I didn't bring up the Watson connection, I was just responding to it. If you have the insight, please let us know the reasons for the dismissals on the offensive side of the ball. If you do not know, then Watson could be just as viable a cause as he is not as you say.

Funny though that the ones let go are not the game planners or play callers. Does anyone think Stump could have done better than he did with Ford and Hunt? After waiting 7-years for Njoku to finally play up to expectations (at least 1/2 the season) you're now going to fire the TE coach? What's the status on the WR coach since basically the Browns only had 1 performing viable WR in Cooper?

There's something that stinks with these moves IMHO.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 03:34 PM
Might be as you say, Mac. I have questioned the 'committee project' approach to managing games' preparation because it can muddy the results taken away. These are some of the same folks we cheered when we were winning.
I am glad Callahan wasn't included in the purge. I suggest considering that this might be what ownership's doubling down on Watson looks like in light of the "silk purse from sow's ear" season results we ended up with. It sounds like some new blood is incoming to me. I will regret losing Stump. In hindsight, more offense production would have resulted in more wins. I hope it works out. Thanks to these coaches for a memorable year.
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 03:41 PM
What do we have behind door #2 for our contestants Bob?

It's the same old Browns!

This year the Browns, quadrupling down on a miserable decision to sign Watson, immediately after seeing the success they can have with a real QB like Flacco (even with 3rd stringers around him) decide to fire their entire offensive staff, including the widely regarded best RB coach in the business,.

Why? We don't need to run the stinking ball. This is the air Watson show baby! Brilliant!

Facing the possibility of actually achieving continuity and success, the Browns decided to Browns. Besides, Baltimore and Pitt are playoff teams and Cincinnati will get a healthy Burrow back next year so it's not likely they had high hopes of winning much anyway.

Factory of Sadness come on down!!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 03:46 PM
rofl
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 03:52 PM
By the end of the day, we'll have posters saying Watson held Haslam at gunpoint and shoved a list of people he wanted fired down his throat while Stefanski watched and peed his pants.

The OC will be replaced with the ghost of Don Coryell. We won't need a RB coach because we won't be running the ball. We won't need a TE coach because it's Five Wide all day baby!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by vadawgfan07
I am particularly surprised by the Stump Mitchell firing he has been a fixture here, surviving a head coaching change. The TE's coach firing is mildly surprising given the success that Njoku had this year. my first thought is that AVP's offense did not fit with Watson and the team is all in on setting Watson up for success? If the premise is that they know who they want to bring in, I wonder who it will be?

Trying to read tea leaves. Stump was fired (let go before his contract was up), McCartney was simply not brought back. Unless it's just coincidence about when contracts ended, I think the difference could be significant.

I don't think it's hard to imagine the team's disappointment with how Ford did this year. Yes, Ford had a lot working against him in terms of unsettled QB play for a good chunk of the year allowing defenses to key on the run, and then subpar blocking up front when Oline injuries started piling up... but I also think that Ford put too many bad plays of his own on tape. He's also not a rookie, so Stump has had some time with him. Not the best look when all you have to show for your coaching is Chubb and Hunt (who came in gtg).

Similarly, I also don't think it's that surprising about the TEs coach. Njoku's breakout is great and all, but it's like 5 years or so overdue. Harrison Bryant doesn't seem to have progressed much.

I can't really speak intelligently on AVP's being let go. Having not played football, I really can't appreciate the impact an OC has when he doesn't call plays and it's not "his" O.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 04:33 PM
pending the new hires, I'm OK with these moves. it is all about Watson and I never felt like he was comfortable or playing up to his contract (and maybe he never will)
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
Might be as you say, Mac. I have questioned the 'committee project' approach to managing games' preparation because it can muddy the results taken away. These are some of the same folks we cheered when we were winning.
I am glad Callahan wasn't included in the purge. I suggest considering that this might be what ownership's doubling down on Watson looks like in light of the "silk purse from sow's ear" season results we ended up with. It sounds like some new blood is incoming to me. I will regret losing Stump. In hindsight, more offense production would have resulted in more wins. I hope it works out. Thanks to these coaches for a memorable year.

bard..imo, Haslam and Stefanski are focused on doing anything and everything they can to help get the most out of Watson.

One of the traits or tendencies I did not expect to see from Watson was how easily he seemed to lose focus after a bad play and once distracted, Watson appeared to struggle to recover his focus. Part of reason for the coaching changes might be an effort limit the number of coaches who influence the QB and the offense.

Stefanski coached RBs, TEs, QBs and was the OC while coaching for the Vikings...the very positions that the Browns axed. Stefanski wants these positions coached as "HE" sees fit, especially since Stefanski's job might be on the chopping block a year from now.

jmo
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 05:10 PM
Once again speculation from those who don't know a thing about what goes on outside of the internet.

So let's all assume scapegoats and conspiracy.

After a season coaching changes in the NFL are common. The reasons are internal and we do not know the whys.

When the replacements are known maybe the answers will become clearer.

Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by mac

bard..imo, Haslam and Stefanski are focused on doing anything and everything they can to help get the most out of Watson.

One of the traits or tendencies I did not expect to see from Watson was how easily he seemed to lose focus after a bad play and once distracted, Watson appeared to struggle to recover his focus. Part of reason for the coaching changes might be an effort limit the number of coaches who influence the QB and the offense.

Stefanski coached RBs, TEs, QBs and was the OC while coaching for the Vikings...the very positions that the Browns axed. Stefanski wants these positions coached as "HE" sees fit, especially since Stefanski's job might be on the chopping block a year from now.

jmo

Yes, the possible coach of the year starts the next season on the hot seat. Only in the minds of those that have an agenda.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 05:31 PM
EVERY HC in the NFL's "job might be on the chopping block a year from now."
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 05:52 PM
Firing AVP is like firing the janitor on the titanic.. If there are offensive failures its stefanski. Stump is gone because he didn't do anything. It was proven this year that Chubb made him look good and when it was up to him to make an impact he couldn't get anything out of the run game. Not sure if was fair to any of those guys after the injuries we had on the oline, I don't know how anyone else would have done better. If any year was the year to just keep it intact and run it back it would be this one. These moves don't make much sense.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 06:45 PM
Callie Brownson 'bout to be named OC....or Quincy Avery.
Posted By: bugs Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 06:46 PM
I think the Browns want to change the offense scheme more in the direction of 11-personnel.

Right now it is play-action driven and has become a complementary piece to the defense. As long as the defense does well so goes the team.

Offenses such as the Colts, Texans, and Cardinals have done more with less. I don't think these offenses are superior. They were less predictable than Cleveland.

Cleveland's offense has the talent to be an innovator. The current direction meant searching for talent upgrades to execute a predictable offensive scheme.

It will be very interesting to see who Stefanski and Berry hire.

I don't think the three sacked coaches meant failure. I truly believe they want to build a different offensive scheme. I also would keep an eye on Bill Musgrave as the next OC.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Firing AVP is like firing the janitor on the titanic.. If there are offensive failures its stefanski.

I'm inclined to agree with you here, but I want to reserve judgement for who they bring in as replacements. To go along with your metaphor, I hope this coaching shakeup isn't just rearranging deck chairs while the ship is sinking.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 07:01 PM
This team just went 11-6 in the regular season with a patchwork of players. Nothing is sinking.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 07:04 PM
Are we firing coaches for sake of making changes?
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 07:06 PM
Callie Brownson 'bout to be named OC....or Quincy Avery.

Who is Quincy Avery and why should we care?
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 07:45 PM
There is a phrase in the business world that if you're not improving your getting worse. This team was 11-6 Regular Season, 2 games behind the Division Champs. They made the playoffs but lost on the road. I believe Stefanski and Berry looked in the mirror and said what moves can we make to win the AFC North? What moves can we make to have a deeper playoff run. Revamping the offense seems like what they determined when they looked into that mirror. When they hire an offensive coordinator, it will probably be much easier to say only caveat is we want you to keep Bill Callahan on as offensive line coach instead of saying we want you, but we don't want you to hire your own staff. I think they both felt that in today's NFL you have to score points even with a great defense. It took 33 points to beat the Ravens. That I believe is the reason for these moves and not blame for 1 bad game.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 08:08 PM
So the 2023 regular season record of 11-6 isn't an improvement over the 2023 record of 7-10?
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 08:13 PM
I really liked Stump. Not happy with this firing.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 08:14 PM
..... OC....or Quincy Avery.

And Bryan Burney the QB coach.

That would be time to head to the 480 bridge!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 08:15 PM

Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 08:15 PM
As fans we are not inside. We don't know what goes on within the organization.

Until we see who is hired. We have no idea of what that person brings to the table.

I am guessing about this. The scheme and playbook is developed in conjunction with an understanding of the skills of the players. As the season goes on some plays are dropped and others added.

That offensive evolution is an adaptation. As game plans for opposing defenses are prepared; plays are selected.

I cannot say what AVP was lacking. Maybe KS felt that another voice was needed in game planning? I don't know.

OC's usually have an offensive philosophy. They want the team to have an offensive personality.

When the hire is made maybe we will learn more.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So the 2023 regular season record of 11-6 isn't an improvement over the 2023 record of 7-10?

It is but it was not enough to win the division. If they want a deeper playoff run, they have to win the division get a home field advantage and make a run. I believe the FO made this move to improve the offense to get where they want to get. Not that they failed in 2023 but need to be improved in 2024 and make the same kind of jump the defense did this past year. Not saying it will work but what I think they are trying.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 08:50 PM
You're not going to win the AFC North having to rely on four starting QB's when two out of three on the roster going into the season stink and you had to get one off the couch along with playing the fourth and fifth OT on your roster and losing Chubb. And that doesn't even begin to mention the injuries this team suffered this year. If this FO can't figure that out they very well may be in the wrong business. I think they are lacking the ability to see the forest for the trees here.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 09:16 PM
You're not going to win the AFC North having to rely on four starting QB's when two out of three on the roster going into the season stink and you had to get one off the couch along with playing the fourth and fifth OT on your roster and losing Chubb. And that doesn't even begin to mention the injuries this team suffered this year. If this FO can't figure that out they very well may be in the wrong business. I think they are lacking the ability to see the forest for the trees here.

I don't think anyone lost their job for failure. I think the FO will agree with your assessment of the 2023 season. I also think the FO feel a change in offensive philosophy is needed to win the North. They changed the defense this year and found a defensive coordinator that took the defense to another level. I believe they are hoping for the same with the offense by adding a new coordinator that has had some kind of proven results in the past. Again, if you're not improving you're getting worse. Continuous improvement.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man

That was fast regarding a Staley visit. So fast.. as if the team had this firing decision laid out for a bit now.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 09:37 PM
The decision is pro active and that’s what an ambitious organization should do if they want to catch up with the teams in front of them. From that standpoint this move seems correct but it all depends on who they replace the fired coaches with. That’s my short evaluation.

The backside of firing so call “scapegoat’s” is that it creates a little bit of instability and speculations.

If Watson has anything to do with these changes then the support for him can quickly dry up if he don’t deliver some sort of success next season. Maybe he’s totally innocent and if that’s the case maybe this move can be successful because we need to be more unpredictable and protect our QB better to avoid further injuries.

From Stefanski’s perspective is a bold move. The room for errors decreases and if the Browns don’t starts to win their division or make a good run in the play offs then I think his days are numbered.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 09:48 PM
I don't believe watson had anything to do with it. At this point his resume' in Cleveland doesn't constitute that amount of leverage.

According to some Stefanski's days have been numbered for at least a few seasons now.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 09:55 PM
I don't believe watson had anything to do with it. At this point his resume' in Cleveland doesn't constitute that amount of leverage.

According to some Stefanski's days have been numbered for at least a few seasons now.

When a HC starts to fire coaches around him without taking any own accountability (so far) he set himself up for heavy criticism if he doesn’t vastly improve his teams result. That has nothing to do with Stefanski specifically it’s just how a result oriented business works.

I like the move btw but that part got unnoticed from you thumbsup
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 09:59 PM
would love to see an OC who runs more pre-snap motion
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 10:07 PM
Heavy criticism by you and your ilk. He took a hospital ward to the playoffs. The only people who think that needs to be held accountable for that are people who are aren't being objective and have it out for him. Giving him a mass amount of credit for it is what you should be saying.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 10:33 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 10:44 PM
A name to watch for perhaps?

Tim Kelly – Offensive Coordinator, Tennesee Titans

Kelly has been the Titans offensive coordinator for two seasons, but with Head Coach Mike Vrabel being fired after the season, Kelly will likely be on the job market as well. Typically, a newly hired Head Coach wants to bring in his own staff.

Kelly is intriguing because he was the offensive coordinator when Deshaun Watson played his best season in the NFL.

He was with the Texans from 2014-2021 and was the offensive coordinator for three seasons, 2019-2021. Two of those seasons were with Watson as his quarterback. Watson's success in Kelly's offense makes him a potential candidate for Stefanksi.
https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...dates-kevin-stefanski-225604846/#2348857 (full list of potentials from this site)

Kelly's bio on Titans website
https://www.tennesseetitans.com/team/coaches-roster/tim-kelly

Klint Kubiak is interesting from a name perspective considering Stefanski's connection to his father and SF offense doing very well.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 10:58 PM
As fans we can speculate all we want and that’s fine. Bottom line, IMO, is the FO is trying to make us a better team and that’s perfectly fine with me. I can’t wait to see whom we hire. That should tell us a lot about our future passing game.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 11:02 PM
Heavy criticism by you and your ilk. He took a hospital ward to the playoffs. The only people who think that needs to be held accountable for that are people who are aren't being objective and have it out for him. Giving him a mass amount of credit for it is what you should be saying.

No! Absolutely not and I going to tell you why.

I will never forgive his handling with Mayfield when he let TJ Watt sack our injured QB too many times. That’s the opposite of good leadership and I will always hold him accountable for such a mishandling of HIS player.

His record so far with a roster full of talent is good, this season is better than good, maybe close to very good. If he had won against the Texans I will call it a great season but that didn’t happen so “close to very good” is what I think is a fair judgement.

His play calling has gone from unacceptable to sometimes very good. His ceiling is high but the floor is sometimes at the basement level. The improvement this season gives me at least hope. Maybe he can also develop a part of his leadership a notch or two so he don’t throw any other of his players and coaches under the bus when it suits him.

I don’t know enough to fully judge who he’s but from the outside he doesn’t exactly look like a natural born leader, more a feminine beta type then a alpha who get respect with his pure presence. I’m old school so maybe my expectation's are different to the younger generation. These new Harvard type of managers isn’t my cup of tea. Claudia Gay. Alissa Heinerscheid. They all make me want to puke and my daughters also has this liberal soft crap attitude that I hate.

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
I don't think anyone lost their job for failure. I think the FO will agree with your assessment of the 2023 season. I also think the FO feel a change in offensive philosophy is needed to win the North. They changed the defense this year and found a defensive coordinator that took the defense to another level. I believe they are hoping for the same with the offense by adding a new coordinator that has had some kind of proven results in the past. Again, if you're not improving you're getting worse. Continuous improvement.

The problem with this is if you're looking for an equivalent impact like what you got from the Schwartz hire, then the scope of coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball should somehow include Stefanski. This is his system and he calls plays. If he retains playcalling duties and/or brings in coaches that aren't bringing anything to the table as much as they're just doing what they're told... then these changes amount to just a bunch of hand-waving. I used the phrase earlier "rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship". I don't mean the ship is sinking, but rather that these coaching changes could be totally ineffective to address what they're intended to address.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 11:14 PM
When the new OC is hired his background will be telling.

When KS was hired the scheme was based upon a version of the WCO. Kubiak is the guy who really was the mentor.

AVP is part of that scheme. With Baker we were in 12 or 13 personnel often. It is a run based system because play action is the foundation. When you have a runner like Chubb and a passer like Baker. It is a good fit.

Right now we do not know the status of Nick Chubb. He is coming off knee surgery and is 28. Kareem is a single purpose short yardage back and that is fine. Ford is not a Chubb replacement. He is not very good.

Perhaps KS has decided to change from that form of the WCO.

Maybe run more shotgun rather than under center. Run more 11 personnel and empty with motion and RPO"S.

Why now rather than at the beginning of this year? My guess is he wanted to see how DW would fit with AVP and that system. Now after getting a look, although limited, he decided to make changes.

I expect the receiver room to change. We need a true number two. A decision will need to be made about Cooper's future.
The offensive line may see some changes at least in depth.

All this points to a new offense.

When the new guy is hired his coaching tree will tell a lot.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/17/24 11:24 PM
This a good list of candidates and reasons why.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...ng-candidates-kevin-stefanski-225604846/
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 12:19 AM

He was my son’s oline coach at BW back in 2014.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 02:36 AM

Improvement = yes, meeting expectations = nope

Keep in mind, in 2020, the Browns were 11-5 with a playoff appearance of 2 games making them 12-6 for the year. Now, if we were to believe the story that the 2020 team with Mayfield as QB wasn't good enough to get the Browns to the Super Bowl, then there had to be changes. Haslam opened up his checkbook and gave Berry the funds to get this franchise to a level where they were a league threat for the Super Bowl.

In 2021, the Browns and Berry had the highest cash spend (not cap) in the NFL for that season. Yada yada yada, the Browns put together an 8-9 season and finished tied for last place in the AFC North.

In 2022, the checkbook was still open, and the Browns had the second highest spend in the NFL that season. This was also the year they acquired their elite top 5 QB that was going to take them over the top. A 230M guaranteed 5-year contract for the player that would take them over the top but sadly, he would miss 23 3/4 games in his first 2-years. The team regressed though in 2022 finishing 7-10 and another last place finish in the AFC North.

Enter 2023, the checkbook is still wide open, Berry and the Browns have the highest spend in the NFL again this year. In addition to the spend on players, Berry and the Browns also invested heavily in replacing the DC and special team's coach to get the team to the that evasive Super Bowl level. The Browns improved in 2023 going 11-6 and qualified for the playoffs as a wildcard. The Browns were thumped in the first round 45-14 losing to a team led by a rookie QB and rookie HC. The Browns finished 11-7 for the season which is clearly an improvement over 2023 yet still not as good as the 2020 season where they were 12-6. Three years with the highest average cash spend in the NFL and still chasing the 2020 season even after spending all that money.

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2023/...eers-salary-cap-cash-spending-tom-brady/

NFL Cash Spending 2021 - 2023 💰

The Browns spent $80m more than 2nd place & $168m more than league average in 2023. The Browns spend equals $820.2M over the last 3-years and $204.7M more than the NFL set cap over that period.

2021 salary cap = $182.5M - 2021 Browns spend = $239.4M
2022 salary cap = $208.2M - 2022 Browns spend = $276.3M
2023 salary cap = $224.8M - 2023 Browns spend = $304.5M

So, did the Browns improve in 2023? Yes, they did. Have the Browns come close to meeting expectations considering all the player and coaching changes while spending $204.7M more than the cap over the last 3-years (more than any other team) and still cannot equal or better the results from 2020 which has been deemed unsatisfactory?
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 02:49 AM
Oh boy. Here come the cap hell updates.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 10:50 AM
It's hard to say. We don't know the dynamics behind the scenes. Sometimes people get tired of each other. Maybe there was some friction in the coaching room?

Why would we fire Stump...who knows and who really cares(other than the human element)? The guy has been around for a long time. Maybe he is just slowing down and we wanted something fresh?

TE coach seems a bit surprising given a great year by Njoku, but we don't know he had anything to do with that. Maybe Njoku"s previous lackluster seasons were because of the guy and some other coach became more involved this season and actually made the impact?

AVP..maybe he just got tired of not calling plays? How may OC's who didn't call plays get a chance to be a head coach? If you aren't doing that you almost start to be viewed as the coaching flunky. Maybe he and Stefanski started butting heads enough that Stefanski got tired of it?

And, as some have speculated before, maybe we are in for a totally new offense with a play calling OC.??
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 12:07 PM
Hate to see Stump go frown We already interviewed Duce Staley to replace him)

McCartney did a good job IMO but the Browns think they can improve our TE coach.

AVP... well no loss IMO
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 12:28 PM
It is not easy to fire people who you have hired and worked with.

IMO the offense is going to change.

This is a decision that has been given a lot of thought. When you run under center with play action the OL is getting help. TE's and backs become blockers. The route trees are different.

The offense that Miami is running is entirely different. It is a fast paced offense based upon rub routes, motion, and deception. It is a passing offense that is very hard to cover. The ball is out quickly and the routes are timed.

This is a big change if the new guy is coming from that kind of scheme. The Browns have to go all in on DW this year. Because if it does not work. They will have to consider going in a new direction. That is a big deal.

This is year three of the contract. Next year the Browns will have a first round pick. DW has two years to prove he was worth the trade. AB has to prepare a backup plan. DTR was picked as a guy to develop. If this coming year goes sour with DW. They may have to select a qb in round one.

Obviously, they want DW to be the man. This hire is another investment in DW.

Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 12:55 PM
Gotta say, I don't get it. But it is what it is. My hope is that Berry and KS have people in mind to replace them. Having Duce Staley in is a good sign. Will the next OC call the plays? Wouldn't surprise me is Barry came to KS and say, we gotta get the play calling off your Van Pelt isn't the answer. Lets get someone else. Of course, I don't know that, just speculating.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
AVP..maybe he just got tired of not calling plays? How may OC's who didn't call plays get a chance to be a head coach? If you aren't doing that you almost start to be viewed as the coaching flunky. Maybe he and Stefanski started butting heads enough that Stefanski got tired of it?

And, as some have speculated before, maybe we are in for a totally new offense with a play calling OC.??

In maybe somewhat of a foreshadowing moment, right before the Bengals game when the Browns announced they would be sitting their starters, someone asked Kev if he would let AVP call the plays. In an uncharacteristic way of answering for him, he was somewhat demonstrative and condescending when he said no. It was an odd moment I thought but it is obvious these plans have been in the works for some time.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Gotta say, I don't get it. But it is what it is. My hope is that Berry and KS have people in mind to replace them. Having Duce Staley in is a good sign. Will the next OC call the plays? Wouldn't surprise me is Barry came to KS and say, we gotta get the play calling off your Van Pelt isn't the answer. Lets get someone else. Of course, I don't know that, just speculating.

Could be. It is all speculation. We don't know the why's. In the end, I don't really care who is doing it as long as the "it" is getting done.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 02:22 PM
Last year Schwartz was brought in to change the defense.

You cannot stay stagnant in the NFL. You cannot be predictable.

Flacco comes in and executes the offense at a high level but turns the ball over.

Why was it so easy for Flacco? He is a veteran and has played in that scheme before. DW either has to play in that scheme or the scheme has to change.

IMO KS decided the scheme has to change.

Harbaugh had Flacco as his quarterback. They won with him. When Lamar was drafted it was decided that he was the future. They changed OC's. Greg Roman was brought in to develop an offense to fit Lamar. It worked Lamar became an MVP. Lamar wanted to become more of a passer and he wanted receivers. He held out on his contract.
Todd Monken was brought in to develop a new offense with Lamar featured as a passer instead of a runner.

The new OC will bring a new offense. If the guy they hire insists on play calling if he accepts the offer. Then that may happen. If it is left to be determined on who calls the plays that may eliminate some candidates.

This is a big deal because KS is now an experienced head coach. He is not a first timer anymore. He knows he has the backing of Haslam and AB.

Seniority and continuity provides power. KS can evolve into an overseer. Giving power to the DC and OC to run their schemes.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 02:49 PM
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 03:00 PM
Wonder if AVP makes his way to the Jets somehow.
Posted By: CBFAN19 Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 03:10 PM
Watch AVP go to the Steelers and build a successful offense there! That's not a criticism of getting rid of him or that I think he'll do it. Just one of those "It's so Browns" things that wouldn't surprise me!
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 03:19 PM
It seemed to me that one area on offense that did not improve much was the interceptions. From what I saw most of which were receivers not being where Flacco thought they should be and throwing to the spot only to find noone there ( maybe a DB). Perhaps, the organization placed more of the blame upon the young receivers and an inability to get them to the right spot at the right time. I did not see most of the Houston playoff game and do not know what caused the interceptions ( I also do not have any desire to go back and watch). It just seems odd to fire guys after a successful season and I thought that they had someone specific in mind. The Titans OC seems like a guy that team may have had sights on. Not sure about Andy Dickerson, never heard of him.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by vadawgfan07
Not sure about Andy Dickerson, never heard of him.

Dickerson was here with Mangini in 2009 and 2010.

Dickerson could also be considered a backup plan should Bill Callhan decide to join his son's staff if he lands a head coaching job. He also meets the Rooney Rule requirement.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 04:08 PM
There's a Rooney rule req for OCs and DCs?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by CBFAN19
Watch AVP go to the Steelers and build a successful offense there! That's not a criticism of getting rid of him or that I think he'll do it. Just one of those "It's so Browns" things that wouldn't surprise me!

Bruce Arians approves of this post. grin
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Floquinho
No! Absolutely not and I going to tell you why.

I will never forgive his handling with Mayfield when he let TJ Watt sack our injured QB too many times. That’s the opposite of good leadership and I will always hold him accountable for such a mishandling of HIS player.

Hey, at least you manned up and admitted it's a personal beef with you and not how well he is doing now. Now we all know your motivation has nothing to do with how well or poorly he is doing and nothing he does short of a SB will ever be good enough for you. You just answered the "why" you hate him and it has nothing to do with his current performance as the Browns HC.

Thanks for giving us a better understanding. It's all about Baker. And here I thought "The Baker Bros." was nothing more than an urban legend.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 05:22 PM

Yes. In 2021 the Rooney Rule was updated to include the requirement of interviewing at least one external minority candidate for coordinator positions and QB coaching jobs. Two external minority candidates are required to be interviewed for head coaching jobs.

https://operations.nfl.com/inside-football-ops/inclusion/the-rooney-rule/
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by steve0255
Improvement = yes, meeting expectations = nope

With this decimated roster and four starting QB's? Are you kidding me?

Keep in mind, in 2020, the Browns were 11-5 with a playoff appearance of 2 games making them 12-6 for the year. Now, if we were to believe the story that the 2020 team with Mayfield as QB wasn't good enough to get the Browns to the Super Bowl, then there had to be changes. Haslam opened up his checkbook and gave Berry the funds to get this franchise to a level where they were a league threat for the Super Bowl.

Did Stenanski use four starting QB's to acieve that record? How about no Chubb? The fourth and fifth OT's on the depth chart?

Stefanksi didn't spend the money. Stefanski didn't pick or sign the players. He worked with what he had after all of the injuries and your total lack of objectivity is clearly showing. If you want to get back on the "cap hell train" again at least don't take it out on someone who isn't responsible for it.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 05:39 PM

Yes. In 2021 the Rooney Rule was updated to include the requirement of interviewing at least one external minority candidate for coordinator positions and QB coaching jobs. Two external minority candidates are required to be interviewed for head coaching jobs.

https://operations.nfl.com/inside-football-ops/inclusion/the-rooney-rule/

I had no idea. It's easy to pick on this as it's mostly a dumb rule. But I guess it does result in more POC getting some face time and learning the ropes of navigating "the ladder". It just sucks that it also results in people like Singletary running around from team to team with a handful of binders... looking like a doofus when it's clear nobody is going to hire him.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 07:26 PM
I think the Rooney Rule actually makes (slightly) more sense for certain positions that are pathways to becoming a head coach. OC and DC and QB Coach positions are usually boxes you have to check in order to be considered for HC position.

If getting more minorities into HC jobs (and not just token interviews) is the goal, then helping those people get the experience they need to land the ultimate job is what they should be doing.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 08:14 PM
j/c...

Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 08:14 PM
Agree 100. This actually makes more sense than it did originally. I mean, if you actually want to solve a problem rather than merely act like you care about it.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 08:17 PM
Damn. That may be the best parting statements I've ever read!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 08:21 PM

I guess it just looks and smells like it. If it's about Watson's skill set, why are the RB and TE coaches gone as well? Seems weird to me. Seems like they already know who is coming in and already know who he wants to work with. That leads to the human nature of assuming he's a little higher on the food chain than a non-playcalling OC. Just my impression.

And this is not to be confused with my preference. I agree 100% with your thoughts on Stefanski and his playcalling, particularly this year. I'd say he has arrived firmly as a strong play-calling HC that makes everything else seem easy as well. There is never the feeling that he's chasing his ass trying to manage everything anymore.

I'm assuming some context is involved and can't listen to the playback at the office. Maybe someone can shine some additional light to this OR he truly is exhausted and that may play a part in the future hire??
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 08:42 PM
He basically said the part of coaching he enjoys the most is putting the game plan together and the preparation leading up to the game. When he's says the play calling is exhausting, I did not take is as though he is at his wits end and it's completely wearing him down.

Stefanski has never been married to play calling, he's said over the years if he thinks someone could do it better than himself, he would give up play calling duties.

My take on the coaching changes is that it is all about putting Watson in the best position to succeed. Watson has never looked smooth or like the 2020 version of himself in Stefanski's offense. It's looked clunky with occasional glimpses of success. Watson is here to stay and the Browns have to do everything they can to put him in the best position to succeed. There has to be a sense of urgency. 2024 is a big year for this Browns team.

In order to attract the very best OC candidates, Stefanski has to be willing to give up play calling duties.

My prediction is the Browns hire an OC running a more shotgun heavy offense that looks closer to a McVay, McDaniel, Steichen type level of offensive philosophy. I do not believe Stefanski has been as innovative at expanding off his base offensive philosophy as some of those guys. My money says Stefanski is not calling plays next year and the offense is going to look quite different that it has looked.

I can only imagine what was running through Haslam's head when he watched Bobby Slowick absolutely cook Jim Scwartz and the vaunted Browns defense.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 09:16 PM
With the money and draft picks invested, with so many jobs on the line dependent on watson's success in Cleveland, I think you have hit the nail on the head. I don't believe with all of that on the line they could do anything other than tailor everything around watson.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 10:51 PM
Thanks Milk, I'm trying to wrap my mind around that whole thing and put it into a flowchart. My first question is: were Berry and Haslam the first two names in the box and Stefanski came later? Was this "hey, this is the direction we think we should go" to Stefanski... or along with Stefanski. Next: Did Watson have a box? Not for nothing, but one time he wasn't included on the chart ended quite badly. That's mostly the 'inquiring mind' voice in my head asking what I think most fans would be asking.

I would suspect it's been a decision made by the three together. I would also guess Watson may have been informed that changes were possible for at least a short time now, maybe even a door open to his input. In that case, I think he would have also been told that the hire depends just as much on organizational impact as X's and O's, along with the fact that Stefanski hasn't decided on game day duties in advance of the hire, and very much would be dependent on prospects.

I hope everything stays on course and we are able to upgrade and 'transcend' without taking two steps back.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/18/24 11:44 PM
He basically said the part of coaching he enjoys the most is putting the game plan together and the preparation leading up to the game. When he's says the play calling is exhausting, I did not take is as though he is at his wits end and it's completely wearing him down.

I'm just now seeing he used the term "exhausting" in an interview last year. I thought it was from an interview today when I shared this.

That's my mistake misreading the podcast title.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 12:38 AM
I agree with a lot of what you said.

I'd be quite surprised if this was Haslam/DePo/Berry (definitely not Berry) pounding their fists demanding changes be made or else. I think everyone involved understands the high stakes and Stefanski is self aware and not above being both open to internal criticism and changes that will benefit the organization on the whole. My guess is this has been discussed internally for some time.

If you did not win the Super Bowl (and even if you did) the questions that should be asked are, "What are we doing to get better as franchise? What areas can we improve? What changes need to be made to achieve the intended goal? etc.." Complacency is unlikely to win championships.

It not unreasonable for ownership or the FO to ask Stefanski if his offense truly puts Watson in the best position to succeed and if not, what changes should be make to make that happen.

I would think it was discussed with Watson, but not because Watson was vocal about changes needing to be made. Asking for his thoughts and input, but not asking him to handpick the replacements. For better or worse, it's highly likely the Browns are only going to go as far as Watson can take them.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 01:13 AM
Makes perfect sense. Personally, if I were to offer my best guess, the seed was planted before this season and dependent on how Watson and the offense progressed. When Watson was gone, and the whole thing was turned inside out, there's a very good chance other factors made "change" even more clear.

Maybe all these dudes weren't truly 'rowing in the same direction' when crazy got crazier and crazier. Maybe a couple of these coaches became whiners when the job got more difficult every week. Maybe Stefanski felt like he had to hold hands and micromanage much more than he should have... working with those who once thrived when everything was easy, but now needed to be coddled now that everything was hard.

Maybe, we're not looking for a play-caller at all and don't even need or want a big name that will carry a load of expectations (along with the obligatory freedom to create and change the structure that's already here). Maybe the next step for Stefanski is simply an up and coming offensive mind that will execute everything on the game-prep list each week to his standards.

I don't know, but if the next guy is calling plays, he's got some big shoes to fill. Stefanski is a great play-caller most of the time. And most of the time is about the arc everyone is working with, when you have NFL talent across the LOS doing the opposite of what you expected them to do all week -- you can be in for a long day no matter what your name is.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 01:22 AM
I agree with a lot of what you said.

I'd be quite surprised if this was Haslam/DePo/Berry (definitely not Berry) pounding their fists demanding changes be made or else. I think everyone involved understands the high stakes and Stefanski is self aware and not above being both open to internal criticism and changes that will benefit the organization on the whole. My guess is this has been discussed internally for some time.

If you did not win the Super Bowl (and even if you did) the questions that should be asked are, "What are we doing to get better as franchise? What areas can we improve? What changes need to be made to achieve the intended goal? etc.." Complacency is unlikely to win championships.

It not unreasonable for ownership or the FO to ask Stefanski if his offense truly puts Watson in the best position to succeed and if not, what changes should be make to make that happen.

I would think it was discussed with Watson, but not because Watson was vocal about changes needing to be made. Asking for his thoughts and input, but not asking him to handpick the replacements. For better or worse, it's highly likely the Browns are only going to go as far as Watson can take them.

Well said.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 01:23 AM

THIS x 100… No way Watson was behind it. He can’t stay on the field, at least not that I’ve seen. Hell, I’m worried he’s made of glass now. I don’t know if he had injury issues prior or not. But two years into the DW era and we still have no clue what we really have in him. Could be the savior, could be a bum. You don’t build staffs and teams around that, IMO.

I’d say Ski saw some things this year that he thinks he can improve upon. I’m shocked about AVP and Mitchell. IMO, they were solid at worst. Now, I’m interested to see the new hires. I hope like hell this wasn’t to appease Jimmy for the playoff loss. And we may pay hell if Chubb struggles coming back, not to mention how he might feel about Mitchell and ABP being gone. I’ve seen a bunch of not great RB coaches in browns attire over the years, I can’t see who is better than Mitchell.

What I do hope is that this isn’t a complete revamp of our offense. I’m not a big fan of the RPO centric running QB style of play. I would much prefer trying to make a pocket passer out of DW and a play action passing game. At least until I know he’s not going to get thumped and be out again every four or five games.

And I hope I’m way off and DW studs out, but that’s yet to be seen.

Additionally, this transition should not shorten Ski’s leash, unless it was sold as being THE ISSUE we aren’t going to the SB. I can’t see that being the case, at least I hope not. However, anytime you add new pieces, it gives you new excuses and fodder for the end of the next non-championship season. And I can’t imagine Ski was on the hot seat at all, not at all. This had to be Ski’s doing. No idea why. I guess we’ll see.

EDIT: I wonder if Baker’s season had anything to do with this? That’s an intriguing thought. Are we seeing the guyts that clamored for DW going? Or did they say Baker couldn’t get it done? Lol, I could see Haslam having a cow over that.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 01:57 AM
..... I don't know, but if the next guy is calling plays, he's got some big shoes to fill. Stefanski is a great play-caller most of the time. .

Agree, Stefanski is an excellent play caller and schemer. Is he an excellent play caller for Watson, however? I think that's the $230M question being discussed in Berea.

Flacco and Brissett looked great in Stefanksi's offense. Under center, play action, back to the defense, bootlegs, etc... To me, that does not seem to mesh with what Watson does best. Put Watson in the gun and let him run it wide open.

Stefanski very well may end up retaining play calling, but my money says otherwise. He brought in Bill Musgrave this past offseason to help adapt his offense to Watson's skill set, but it still seemed clunky. The stakes are high, but I'm confident in the people running the show to get this right.

Watson's skill set and Stefanski's offense....

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 04:09 AM
Oh boy. Here come the cap hell updates.

Hahaha! That was funny!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 10:25 AM
But two years into the DW era and we still have no clue what we really have in him. Could be the savior, could be a bum.

I think it's safe to say the guy isn't a bum. He has shown enough to erase that thought, but I agree he hasn't exactly lived up to the expectations the team had when they punched the ticket on the trade. Fan expectations don't count. They are usually inflated and unrealistic.

I think this move shows the team feels they need to and can get more out of Watson. I think with Flacco stepping in rather seamlessly while Watson looked to have reservations/limitations with the O showed the team they needed to make some changes that fit Watsons game.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
But two years into the DW era and we still have no clue what we really have in him. Could be the savior, could be a bum.

I think it's safe to say the guy isn't a bum. He has shown enough to erase that thought, but I agree he hasn't exactly lived up to the expectations the team had when they punched the ticket on the trade. Fan expectations don't count. They are usually inflated and unrealistic.

I think this move shows the team feels they need to and can get more out of Watson. I think with Flacco stepping in rather seamlessly while Watson looked to have reservations/limitations with the O showed the team they needed to make some changes that fit Watsons game.

I agree at this point what do we know. Can Watson win games with the Cleveland Browns? Yes, He is 8-4 in the games he has played. Can he win in the AFC North? Yes, He is 3-3 vs the AFC North. 2-0 vs the Ravens, 1-1 vs the Bengals and Joe Burrow, but 0-2 vs the Steelers. That must improve. Can't keep losing to those guys. Can he win games on the road vs the best teams in the NFL? Yes, He helped lead the Browns to a win on the road vs the Ravens with a come from behind 33-31 game. Can he stay healthy? Do not know the answer to that yet. Can he still be an elite top 5 QB in the NFL? Do not know that yet either. He has shown flashes of greatness but no consistence. If he can stay healthy and play a 17-game season, I think we will be able to answer that question, then. Consistency comes when you play on a regular basis. I think anyone that plays golf can relate to that.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 02:37 PM
I share the same feeling you mention if I read you correctly. This feels like the deal is cooked up already, though it has yet to play out. Stump loss was, is, may well be huge. Feels to me like at least part of this "shakeup" is lined up, and waiting to play out. My hunch. So who can replace this group as well? I see some irony in a pass-happy coach who turns to (as the play caller) the running game for relief and improvement. Hope some of this works.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 03:24 PM
I liked some of these assistant coaches also and hated to see them go. But what I did see this year is what can happen is what a difference a really good coordinator can do. If the Browns hire someone that can help the offense, make the same kind of strides in 2024 that the defense made in 2023 this team will be really hard to handle. They have to get the hire right, though. I think we have an organization in place now that can do that. I feel strongly that Andrew Berry is the right GM, Kevin Stefanski is the right head coach, Jim Schwartz was the right fit for defensive coordinator, and if they can get the right fit at offensive coordinator the sky is the limit next year. If you do the same thing in 2024 as you did in 2023 your will, probably get 2023 results.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
THIS x 100… No way Watson was behind it. He can’t stay on the field, at least not that I’ve seen. Hell, I’m worried he’s made of glass now. I don’t know if he had injury issues prior or not. But two years into the DW era and we still have no clue what we really have in him. Could be the savior, could be a bum. You don’t build staffs and teams around that, IMO.

Au contraire. You most certainly do. In fact you almost have to. I think you missed the overall context of my post. My comment was intended to mean that at this time I don't think he's in the position to demand such a thing. I don't think he's in the position to hand pick his coaches.

But this FO put all their eggs in the watson basket and if this flops a lot of their jobs and futures are on the line. They have to do everything in their power to make this thing work. With all of that money and draft capital given in exchange for watson they have to show a good return on that investment. They're on the business side of the NFL, not the fan side of it. And the Browns are a multi billion dollar corporation. In that scenario there's accountability for your decisions.

What I do hope is that this isn’t a complete revamp of our offense. I’m not a big fan of the RPO centric running QB style of play. I would much prefer trying to make a pocket passer out of DW and a play action passing game. At least until I know he’s not going to get thumped and be out again every four or five games.

You don't spend that kind of investment on a QB to try and fit a square peg in a round hole. That would be coaching suicide.

EDIT: I wonder if Baker’s season had anything to do with this? That’s an intriguing thought. Are we seeing the guyts that clamored for DW going? Or did they say Baker couldn’t get it done? Lol, I could see Haslam having a cow over that.

Baker has nothing to do with any of this. Baker has left the building and if there was any major division about that it would have been dealt with long before now.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 05:43 PM
Turns out it was all over leaks.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 06:12 PM
I don't know that I trust that being the answer. We'll hear five or more stories, maybe even more as to the reasoning behind it and may never know the actual truth of the matter. Just because there are some reporting that, often times once one person reports it others simply piggy back off of that. I mean I think you have to stop and think about that for a minute. What kind of behind the scenes rumors did you see reported this season?

People have actually been discussing how quiet things have been and you haven't heard about any behind the scene drama this year. So claiming it was due to leaks seems like a total contradiction to what we have all been witnessing ourselves.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 06:35 PM
What is for certain is that there will definitely be an official leak at some point so that there can be stories written to highlight why moving on was the right choice and how the new people are viewed as the solution.
It's literally the playbook for a coaching change and we've seen it a hundred times by now.

I'll just say that it being about Watson is what makes the most sense, though, because there is zero chance it can be about performance, IMO. I don't know what any of those coaches could have done above what they did with what they had. Heck, AVP doesn't even get to run his own offense or call his own plays, so that one is extra confusing when attempting to think of how it could be performance related.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 06:38 PM
Oh we know that the top brass will leak something to convey their story. I'm just not buying that leaks were the reason these people were fired at this point in time.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 06:42 PM
I mean, it could be, but I can't even think of anything that has come out of Berea that could have been a leak. The storylines other than how the team has played have literally been non-existent.... except for things about injuries, and I don't recall any of that information coming from anywhere other than Stefanski.

Like, literally, the only thing I can think of is the snafu over Watson's injury not being an issue, then suddenly, magically, being an issue that sidelined him.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 08:10 PM
It appears that the Browns will have options at QB if the decide to take advantages of them...

Cleveland Browns QB Joe Flacco Wants to Stay With Organization;
‘I love the Building, the People, Everything About It’ – 2023-24 Postseason

By Alec Musa, January 19, 2024
link
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 09:04 PM
...and I can hear the crowd chanting "Flacco....Flacco" as soon as DW throws his first interception.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 09:07 PM
Yeah, it's highly unlikely we ever see Flacco wearing a Browns jersey again.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 09:22 PM
I’d be happy if they signed him to back up money for a couple years. DW is giving me those swing and miss vibes. Flacco would be the best backup, but not a great prospect for full time starter… However, he did do enough this year to earn that chance somewhere.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/19/24 09:36 PM
I just try to look at every decision a multi billion dollar corporation makes from that angle. As business decisions pure and simple. There are a lot of QB's that would make good quality backups. Much like yourself I have no idea why this FO didn't have one on the roster this past season and hope they learned their lesson from that obvious blunder. The huge amount of injuries among starting QB's across the entire NFL this season should have taught more than a few teams that lesson.

But j is 100% correct that Flacco, while he collapsed in his last game, played well enough that he led this team to the playoffs. And Browns fans aren't going to forget that. With Flacco on the roster, any and every time watson falters, there will be a cry from the crowd for Flacco. It would be a total mess and a PR nightmare for this FO. That being said, from a business standpoint that simply wouldn't make any sense when there will actually be more options available with which to choose from to fill that roll.
Posted By: boofers20 Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/20/24 12:18 AM
I'd love to have Flacco back with us as well, BUT, as someone else pointed out, us Browns fans are fickle and love the backup QB, as soon as DW throws his picks, or fumbles, the boo-birds will be out and chanting for Flacco. DW doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude to block out the noise, and will sulk. Not to mention that they have different styles of play, wouldn't we need almost 2 separate playbooks?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/20/24 02:42 PM
j/c

We would be absolute fools to not re-sign Flacco...my goodness. He's the perfect backup QB...good for the team if he plays...good for DW and DTR. We were able to run the offense just fine with his different skillsets.

If DW can't handle Flacco being there or fan chants when he sucks...then he'll never be the guy anyway.

Flacco actually wants to be here and Browns fans don't want him here for all the wrong reasons...sounds familiar.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/20/24 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
j/c

We would be absolute fools to not re-sign Flacco...my goodness. He's the perfect backup QB...good for the team if he plays...good for DW and DTR. We were able to run the offense just fine with his different skillsets.

If DW can't handle Flacco being there or fan chants when he sucks...then he'll never be the guy anyway.

Flacco actually wants to be here and Browns fans don't want him here for all the wrong reasons...sounds familiar.

It isn't just Watson. The team doesn't really get off on that.

I have said it before as others have. You don't want the hint of a QB controversy. It's why there isn't a chance we hire Bernie Kosar as back-up QB. Nevermind the guy can't play anymore, you would still have idiots chanting for him to come in to the game.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/20/24 03:54 PM
Stump loss was, is, may well be huge.

Why? Was it the beard?

Most of the position spots are stepping stone positions. Maybe some coaches who ascended to higher positions settle back in to a position coach position, like Callahan, but if you have pretty much just done that your whole career, maybe it is time to move on with someone younger. Part of Stefnski's job is to develop his coaching staff and see guys work up the ranks to possibly take on larger roles with this team.

Stump was a nice guy and probably good at what he did, but he was never going to be viewed as part of the Stefanski coaching tree. He was a career RB coach in the NFL. He was a head coach for 2 different college teams with a combined 22-62 record.

What is it about him we are going to miss??
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/20/24 06:15 PM
I wrote what I thought was a good post on this topic and damn didn't I somehow delete it.

The hiring of the new OC is a big deal. AVP and Mitchell were let go because the offense is going to change.

IMO KS gave this past season a look with DW and the current staff. He came to the conclusion the scheme has to change.

DW does not play like Baker, Jacoby, or Flacco. DTR and PJ don't count.

DW should be and will be involved in the OC search. This is an investment in the team and DW. DW is an athlete. He is accurate. But he is not accurate in the way Flacco is. DW relies upon his mobility. He prefers shotgun. He likes to see the defense at all times and react to what he sees. He is not comfortable under center and turning his back to the defense in play action.

AVP and Mitchell are guys who know the under center, play action offense. We ran a version of the WCO. Using mostly 12 and 13 personnel. When you have Nick and QB's like Baker, Jacoby and Flacco it is a scheme that fits.

When you watch the offense McDaniels runs in Miami. It is a fast paced offense that attacks the short to mid range area. Using 3 step drops, motion, and timed routes. The ball comes out quick. Lots of movement and rub routes.

That also is not a good scheme for DW either.

IMO we will go to motion and shotgun with 11 personnel and a pass catching TE (Njoku). These changes also mean the blocking assignments and run game changes. That is why the changes in coaches.

I think in the end it will look more like the Rams offense.

We will become a pass based offense. The running game will come out of shotgun. We will use way more motion. And we will have to add a true number two receiver. But we will use empty and at times have 4 receivers.

This will be a big change. Change is often comes with resistance so it will need to be implemented correctly. It may take some trial and error.

This is a change that IMO had to happen. DW is the investment. It has to be his offense. In addition the organization needs to find out if DW is who they thought he was.
This will be year three. How this year goes will spell the future. Next year the team will have a first round pick. DTR was a developmental pick. Next year if things sour. The first round will be in question.

I am optimistic about how DW will play. That is because I hate thinking about what will happen if he plays poorly. This hiring of a new OC is extremely important.
He really has to be the right guy for the job. I think KS would like to evolve into an overseer role. Play calling will depend on who the OC is. KS would have to feel good about the OC taking on that responsibility.

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/20/24 07:29 PM
I’m not worried about DWs fumbles or int as a trigger, but very worried we can’t keep him on the field healthy. I worry him and DTR are made of glass. At least until I see either play a full or most of a season.
Posted By: slick Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/20/24 10:09 PM
Van pelts offense requires a qb to read the defense pre snap and during the play. Obviously this is not watsons strength. Which is why he usually ranks in the bottom ten of ball release. He is a shotgun one read qb . His instinct is to run with the ball.
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/20/24 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by slick
Van pelts offense

When did this become van pelts offense?
All this tie, I thought it was stefanski's offense
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/20/24 10:51 PM
I do not think he is a one read quarterback.

Nor do I think he wants to run. IMO he prefers shotgun because he wants to see the field. He wants to throw the ball. He does hold the ball more than most because he uses his mobility to extend plays.

I believe we have to develop the scheme to use his strengths.
Posted By: slick Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/20/24 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish

Nor do I think he wants to run. IMO he prefers shotgun because he wants to see the field. He wants to throw the ball. He does hold the ball more than most because he uses his mobility to extend plays.

He extends plays because he can't read a defense well pre snap. This is why when it comes to drafting a qb I prefer one who played in a more pro style offense in college. Watson has never really played in that type of offense. Reading a defense is not his strength at all. Just another reason why he is not worth 230 mill
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/21/24 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
I’m not worried about DWs fumbles or int as a trigger, but very worried we can’t keep him on the field healthy. I worry him and DTR are made of glass. At least until I see either play a full or most of a season.

One thing about Baker…the guy was durable and available.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/21/24 12:33 AM

He extends plays because he can't read a defense well pre snap. This is why when it comes to drafting a qb I prefer one who played in a more pro style offense in college. Watson has never really played in that type of offense. Reading a defense is not his strength at all. Just another reason why he is not worth 230 mill

He can read a defense pre snap. Hell, I can do that from my couch.

He can’t read defenses post snap.

That’s why he holds the ball and that’s why Stefanski has to turn him into a RB.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/21/24 01:02 AM
I agree about pre-snap.

So, far this year IMO there just has not been a good enough sample size.

So now this will all be new. His last time on the field was damn good. We really do not know what we are going to get???

We will not know until at least halfway through the year. So far it has been Start-Stop - Start-Stop-Start -Stop.

I will be patient. That is why this hire is important. Until we see DW in this new scheme we don't know how he will look.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/21/24 02:47 PM

That was the talk all last off-season...didn't happen. Why not? Here we are after another season without really knowing what DW is/can-be and we are talking - again - about changing the system to meet his skillset. I hope it finally happens soon.

I think he's a one-read QB because he wants to run the ball...and vice versa. JMO
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/21/24 03:40 PM
Van pelts offense requires a qb to read the defense pre snap and during the play. Obviously this is not watsons strength. Which is why he usually ranks in the bottom ten of ball release. He is a shotgun one read qb . His instinct is to run with the ball.

I have to disagree with this comment. Watson was always known as a player who was good at reading defenses. He is more of a scrambler than a running QB, altough he is effective at running. In todays NFL, if your QB can run, he does. His release is not quick, because he is able to keep plays alive, and make plays out of structure.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/21/24 04:15 PM
Ever since we acquired DW it has been a start/stop situation.

After this season ended. IMO KS realized the scheme has to change. AVP and Mitchell are good at what they do. But they are not what is needed now.

KS preference in offensive schemes is the Kubiak/Shanahan system which is a version of the WCO.

Until we see DW play in the new scheme. And see him string together a number of games. We are in the dark.

I have seen enough of DW playing quarterback to know he can read a defense.

What I need to see is DW execute the Browns offense. Right now we don't know what our offense will be.

DW tenure as a Cleveland Brown has been out of whack. I will remain patient. My fear is his ability to stay healthy. Injury is random. However, if DW is in a constant state of hurting with some kind of injury. It will be a concern. He really needs to play this coming season. And he needs to be what he was traded for and that is a franchise quarterback.

Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/21/24 04:26 PM
Because of the suspension and injuries we really haven’t seen what DW can be here He has flashed signs of being a very good WB but it’s hard to sustain when you’re in and out of the lineup. It’s hard to achieve any continuity with that kind of situation. I still believe DW can be a good Quarterback for us. The new coaches we hire to work with him will be important.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/21/24 05:45 PM
While I don't know about this for sure as it relates to the long haul, what I did see of watson is that he begins to panic and run with the ball prematurely. Often he still had a relatively stable pocket and he just took off. Now before anyone takes me accusing watson of anything, I couldn't see what he was seeing downfield. I do know however that most of the great QB's allow as much time as possible for their WR's to come back towards them to give them a target to throw to before they resort to the run and that wasn't what I was seeing from my perspective.
Posted By: slick Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/21/24 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian

I have to disagree with this comment. Watson was always known as a player who was good at reading defenses. He is more of a scrambler than a running QB, altough he is effective at running. In todays NFL, if your QB can run, he does. His release is not quick, because he is able to keep plays alive, and make plays out of structure.

Extending plays cam be good yes but not the majority of the time. It forces receivers to have to break off thier original route and fin where watson is. Also it makes it very hard for offensive linemen to block for him. It's chaos. You can't consistently win in the NFL with a chaotic offense
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/21/24 10:30 PM
Unitas to Berry. Manning to Harrison. Those connections don't happen overnight.

As a Brown it is hard to know what DW will do. I don't know --yet.

DW has simply not played enough for us. This year something needs to happen. He needs to string games together and become part of the scheme.

I am watching this hire closely. It is important. I know many a big deal about play calling. I do not. No matter who ends up calling plays people will bitch and it will all come back to KS. So, play calling is not that important to me. Plays will succeed and fail.

What is important is how the offense works as a unit. Berry needs to make some changes in personnel. I am open to trading Wills for a receiver. Starting Jones at LT and Conklin at RT. Then add real depth at the position.

The new OC will have to figure out what will work with the players we have. It is more than DW. We do not know what Nick will look like. The blocking assignments may change a lot. We need a clear number two receiver. DW will be part of this process. He will not make the decision but he will influence the decision.

Until I am able to see DW in this new offense. I will be patient.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/21/24 11:02 PM
The hire is super important. Stefanski is running out of people to fire for consistently coming up short.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/22/24 12:21 AM
Stefanski will get an extension, so he wasn’t looking to throw anyone under a bus.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/22/24 01:03 AM
I think the quality control coaches better be looking over their shoulders next year.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/22/24 11:53 AM
That is BS.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/22/24 02:45 PM
Pretty sure that was a joke.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/22/24 03:04 PM
"The hire is super important. Stefanski is running out of people to fire for consistently coming up short."

I don't think this was meant to be a joke.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/22/24 03:20 PM
Nope. You're right. Thought you were responding to his previous post since you didn't quote it.

"I think the quality control coaches better be looking over their shoulders next year."
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/22/24 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
The hire is super important. Stefanski is running out of people to fire for consistently coming up short.

Yeah, he really screwed up firing Woods and hiring Schwartz. Sometimes I don't think you hear yourself.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/22/24 07:07 PM
Sometimes I say things to get a rise out of people who I enjoy triggering.

The first comment was half joke, half serious.

The second comment was a joke.

I like to use this board to entertain myself.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/22/24 07:13 PM

That helps explain a lot. Thanks for the clarification.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/22/24 07:13 PM
[Linked Image from y.yarn.co]
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/23/24 09:39 AM
Ever since we acquired DW it has been a start/stop situation.

After this season ended. IMO KS realized the scheme has to change. AVP and Mitchell are good at what they do. But they are not what is needed now.

KS preference in offensive schemes is the Kubiak/Shanahan system which is a version of the WCO.

Until we see DW play in the new scheme. And see him string together a number of games. We are in the dark.

I have seen enough of DW playing quarterback to know he can read a defense.

What I need to see is DW execute the Browns offense. Right now we don't know what our offense will be.

DW tenure as a Cleveland Brown has been out of whack. I will remain patient. My fear is his ability to stay healthy. Injury is random. However, if DW is in a constant state of hurting with some kind of injury. It will be a concern. He really needs to play this coming season. And he needs to be what he was traded for and that is a franchise quarterback.

I agree. We have been running a 20th century based offense 2.5 decades in to the 21st century.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/23/24 05:29 PM
I think you fit things around the players on your roster. Until watson arrived this team didn't have the QB to run what you are describing. He was suspended for 11 games last year so they still didn't have a QB to build a 21st century offense around. This year things began to gel just before his injury. At that point in time they were starting to install that 21st century O you refer to. I believe they just decided to bring in a staff that was better suited to do that.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/24/24 02:09 AM
Sometimes I say things to get a rise out of people who I enjoy triggering.

The first comment was half joke, half serious.

The second comment was a joke.

So, you like being a troll.
In my world, you and Throw Long get the same amount of respect. All serious.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/31/24 05:36 AM
Cheers: To Kareem Hunt for taking the high road.

Jeers: Stump Mitchell and his bizarre PR campaign with the local media after getting deep 6'd.

Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/31/24 06:13 AM
Hunt was listed on the Browns' injury report with a groin issue for much of the season. He played through the injury and finished with 10 rushing touchdowns, including one in Cleveland's wild-card loss to Houston.

Typically a ruptured adductor can sideline players for at least six to eight weeks and require immediate surgery. Philadelphia Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson fought through a similar injury last season en route to the Super Bowl.

"Well, I'll say this about Kareem. I'm so appreciative of him and the way he played and the style with which he played. Obviously, pre-injury to Nick [Chubb], we didn't have a spot, but to Kareem's credit, he stayed in great shape. We brought him in, worked him out. He looked great, picked back up the system right away and played really good football for us and made plays in high-leverage moments and scored touchdowns," Stefanski said. "He provided huge value for us and he's a battler. Love the way he runs. The style with which he runs gave us a huge jolt that we needed."

I've been very selective about the jerseys I've bought the last few years. Gonna have to add a Hunt to the collection. Can wear this one with pride.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/31/24 06:30 PM
Hunt was listed on the Browns' injury report with a groin issue for much of the season. He played through the injury and finished with 10 rushing touchdowns, including one in Cleveland's wild-card loss to Houston.

Typically a ruptured adductor can sideline players for at least six to eight weeks and require immediate surgery. Philadelphia Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson fought through a similar injury last season en route to the Super Bowl.

"Well, I'll say this about Kareem. I'm so appreciative of him and the way he played and the style with which he played. Obviously, pre-injury to Nick [Chubb], we didn't have a spot, but to Kareem's credit, he stayed in great shape. We brought him in, worked him out. He looked great, picked back up the system right away and played really good football for us and made plays in high-leverage moments and scored touchdowns," Stefanski said. "He provided huge value for us and he's a battler. Love the way he runs. The style with which he runs gave us a huge jolt that we needed."

I've been very selective about the jerseys I've bought the last few years. Gonna have to add a Hunt to the collection. Can wear this one with pride.

Hunt seemed to have a VERY abrupt drop-off in performance the season prior to this one (which clearly (IMO) earned him his initial exit from the team). IIRC, he was brought back this year and pretty much instantly was a staple on the injured list despite playing (I think) every game in which he was on the roster.

So my question is, is his pending surgery going to bring him back to close to the level he was when he got here?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 01/31/24 07:07 PM
Muscle tears are generally respond well to surgical repair.

Also, from what I understand, the abductor is a group of about 6 or 7 muscles.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 02/01/24 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by oobernoober
So my question is, is his pending surgery going to bring him back to close to the level he was when he got here?

Based on Stump's comments, I have my doubts. We'll see, though.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 02/01/24 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by oobernoober

Hunt seemed to have a VERY abrupt drop-off in performance the season prior to this one (which clearly (IMO) earned him his initial exit from the team). IIRC, he was brought back this year and pretty much instantly was a staple on the injured list despite playing (I think) every game in which he was on the roster.

I think he started to look different at the tail end of '22...although he may have been dealing with an injury at that time as well.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 02/01/24 11:31 PM
I’m cool with bringing him back, but... All he does is score touchdowns. Do we want a guy like that? wink
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 02/01/24 11:38 PM
Personally I wouldn't bring Hunt back unless it was an emergency 3rd string back or something
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 02/01/24 11:48 PM
He won’t get big money from us or anybody. How about we thank him for his contribution after Chubb was hurt and show him some -even if it’s just a little bit - gratitude toward the hometown dawg?
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Fire Offensive Coaches - 02/02/24 09:33 PM
Hunt should have a backup role if he will sign cheap. He’s put it on the line for us several times. I think this surgery may make him serviceable as the 2nd back again. But ford showed some chops for the running game too. I couldn’t decide if it was more line play or him when he struggled. I’d be fine going into next year with Chubb, Ford, and Hunt. Strong is more a Special Teams guy. I don’t care if we see him carry a ton. And in short and goal, Hunt is a force to reckon with.
© DawgTalkers.net