Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
So, the new $20 minimum wage will apply to all fast food and quick-service... except ones that "bake and sell their own bread in a standalone setting".

rofl rofl rofl

Panera Bread exempt from California’s $20 minimum wage law after owner donated to Gov. Newsom: report

By Social Links forAriel Zilber
Published Feb. 28, 2024
Updated Feb. 29, 2024, 12:50 p.m. ET

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a law that exempts Panera Bread from a new $20-an-hour minimum wage hike for fast food chains after the billionaire owner of several of the chain’s locations donated to his campaign, according to a report.

In September, Newsom, a Democrat, signed into law a measure that raises the minimum wage of food fast workers from $16 an hour to $20 an hour.

But the Fast Food Accountability and Standards Recovery Act (FAST Act) includes an unusual carve-out that exempts “chains that bake bread and sell it as a standalone item,” according to Bloomberg News.

Newsom reportedly sought the exemption, which benefits among others Greg Flynn, the billionaire CEO of Flynn Restaurant Group, the company that owns some two dozen Panera Bread locations in the state.

Flynn, who attended the same high school as Newsom, has been involved in business dealings with the California governor, according to Bloomberg News.

In 2014, Flynn, who is the largest franchisee in the US with thousands of brands including Applebee’s, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and Wendy’s, acquired a Napa Valley resort that was managed by Newsom’s hospitality firm, according to disclosure forms.

Flynn has a net worth valued at $1.1 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. He has donated at least $164,800 to Newsom’s campaigns.

The Post has sought comment from Flynn, Newsom, and Panera Bread.

Flynn told Bloomberg News that he played no role in crafting the bread exemption.

Newsom told reporters last month that the exemption was “part of the sausage-making” in politics.

Michelle Korsmo, head of the National Restaurant Association, told an industry conference last year that “everyone’s scratching their head” about the bread exemption.

“You may be celebrating or you may be lamenting the bakery exemption,” Korsmo was quoted as saying by Bloomberg. “But remember, all of that comes through relationships.”

The governor’s office told Bloomberg News that the law was the “result of countless hours of negotiations with dozens of stakeholders over two years.”

Flynn was publicly critical of the legislation when it was first floated in 2022.

He said that raising the minimum wage of fast-food employees would have an adverse business effect on franchise owners.

Flynn quietly lobbied Newsom’s aides to reconsider whether Panera Bread can be considered fast food, according to Bloomberg News.

The exemption for bread sellers was inserted into the legislation after the union that was pushing for the hike in minimum wage accepted it as a concession aimed at getting the governor’s support, the report stated.

Earlier this month, Chipotle executives warned that consumers in California should expect to see “significant” price hikes due to the minimum wage hike.

Jack Hartung, Chipotle’s chief financial and administrative officer, told investors on an earnings call that the price hikes are necessary to keep up with increasing labor costs.

McDonald’s CEO Chris Kempczinski warned in October that the Big Mac maker would also need to hike the price of its menu items in California.

The chain has increased prices nationwide amid rampant inflation, including charging $18 for a Big Mac meal.

Earlier on Wednesday, Panera Bread agreed to pay $2 million to settle a class-action lawsuit that accused the chain of misleading customers about fees and menu prices for delivery orders.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/28/busin...lifornia-wage-law-after-newsom-donation/

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Newsom told reporters last month that the exemption was “part of the sausage-making” in politics.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

O
Legend
Legend
O
You act like a Republican never did something for a donor… smfh.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
E
EveDawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
E
Gavin Newscum.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Raised a statewide minimum wage but exempted a buddy from high school so he could save millions while punishing his opponents?

Hmm, let me think... nah, I don't think so.

My favorite part is the arrogant scumbag patting us on the head and telling us we just don't get it, with his stupid sausage making comment.

What. A Dolt.

Now that he openly does scumbag-corrupt-political-things and then rubs the voters' noses in it, I'm more convinced than ever than he'll replace Biden in the eleventh hour.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Well, at least in a round about way, newsome is admitting that jacking up min. wage to stupid levels negatively affects business.

Legend
Legend
From the White House:

The bill also includes $1.4 billion for cities and states who are providing critical services to newcomers, and would expedite work permits for people who are in the country and qualify.

Illegal Aliens
Undocumented Immigrants
Undocumented Citizens

NEWCOMERS! rofl

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's just wrong. I have no idea what that has to do with anything in this thread. And neither do you because it doesn't. But that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong and Panera should be held to the same standard as everyone else.

See just how easy that is? You should try it some time. You might feel better. naughtydevil

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Gavin Newscum.

With everything going on right now I don't think many of you understand just how trivial and nitpicking you all sound sensationalizing this while ignoring so many far more important things. 91 criminal counts no problem. Panera Bread doesn't have to pay the same as everyone else #fauxoutrage.

You do provide comic relief however.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah, Eve, TRUMP!

P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

Newsom helped out a buddy. Oh the humanity! You would have thought he tried to overturn an election or something.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yes, he helped out a buddy by imposing a statewide penalty against ALL of his business opponents.

Perfectly acceptable. notallthere

P
Legend
Legend
P
Did you miss where I posted it was wrong? I guess so. rofl

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Good old MSNBC, creating racial awareness by being racist. #propagandaarmofstatetv

Toe. The. Line.

P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
What exactly is funny about that?

Legend
Legend

P
Legend
Legend
P
Because the answer is simple. When you vote for a man that is undermining democracy, that's a danger to democracy.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
So don't vote for Biden? This is getting confusing.

Legend
Legend
Wow. If someone is misgendered...

"This is wrong!"
"This affects everyone"
"This affects the whole community!"
"You're the problem"

But this MURDERER is a "newcomer", a resident of Athens, and a white male??

And NOBODY will raise an eyebrow or complain...

Last edited by FATE; 03/01/24 06:34 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FATE
So don't vote for Biden? This is getting confusing.

I'm not surprised you're confused. Did Biden try to apply pressure to several state officials to in an attempt to overthrow the 2020 presidential election? Did he defy a DOJ subpoena to turn over top secret documents? Did he send a large group of protestors to the Capital after having several speakers fire up the crowd telling them the election was stolen and telling them to fight like hell or they wouldn't have a country anymore?

I do understand that some people, such as yourself as an example seem to have no idea just how this goes against some of the main foundations of our country. That applying pressure to state officials to overturn the election is like sneezing. How the peaceful transfer of power is nothing more than a blip on the radar screen to you. How sending those people to the capital is like the common cold. I get it. But for the life of me I have no idea why.

#gmstrong
E
EveDawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
E

No Craps Given
P
Legend
Legend
P
And what crime is that? I guess them committing sex crimes against children is a better alternative to you?

Speaking at the Kentucky General Assembly on Thursday, Senator Karen Berg said there was research suggesting the dolls "actually decrease their proclivity to go out and attack children." The remarks sparked an angry backlash on social media with one prominent commentator accusing Berg of "sexualizing kids and defending pedophiles."

What an evil guy he is. Was it that research indicated this may help that troubles you so much?

"But there are what they call 'MAPS,' Minor Attracted Persons and the limited amount of research that's done on these dolls suggests that they actually, for people who are attracted to minors, that these dolls actually decrease their proclivity to go out and attack children.

But I should have expected the party of no to attack anything that includes research or may actually help the problem.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
^ THIS GUY ^ wants your tax dollars to buy sex dolls for pedophiles. CHILD sex dolls.

You know why? Because... "But there are what they call 'MAPS,' Minor Attracted Persons (oops, can't call them pedophiles, that's offensive) and the limited amount of research that's done on these dolls suggests that they actually, for people who are attracted to minors, that these dolls actually decrease their proclivity to go out and attack children."

Research done by whom? "Academics", of course.

Absolutely disgusting.

But here, let's make it fair... Pit pays for the dolls, and everyone that still rapes a kid gets a bullet. THEN I'm on board.

WTactualF

Legend
Legend
Oregon Recriminalization

An Oregon bill to reinstate criminal penalties for hard drugs is heading to Gov. Tina Kotek’s (D) desk. HB 4002 will, if signed, upend a 2020 voter initiative to decriminalize possession of small amounts of fentanyl, heroin, methamphetamine, and other drugs.

The news comes three years after residents voted (58%) to decriminalize hard drugs—the first and only state to do so. Instead, possession was met with a $100 fine or the option to enter treatment. However, drug-related deaths in Oregon have since skyrocketed, on track to surpass 1,250 people last year and up 42% year-over-year in September, compared to a nationwide 2%. Those supporting decriminalization still point to research failing to show an immediate correlation between drug law and overdose fatality rates. If the bill is signed, possession will be punishable by up to 180 days in jail, with options to be redirected to treatment facilities.

The news in Oregon comes as the popularity of decriminalization wanes (support for undoing the law is around 56%). Meanwhile, a recent poll found 40% of voters in Portland list homelessness as their primary concern.

https://apnews.com/article/oregon-drug-recriminalization-0c767935037f058c1bf16c4a7c405144

P
Legend
Legend
P
^ THIS GUY ^ wants your tax dollars to buy sex dolls for pedophiles. CHILD sex dolls.

You know why? Because... "But there are what they call 'MAPS,' Minor Attracted Persons (oops, can't call them pedophiles, that's offensive) and the limited amount of research that's done on these dolls suggests that they actually, for people who are attracted to minors, that these dolls actually decrease their proclivity to go out and attack children."

Absolutely disgusting.

But here, let's make it fair... Pit pays for the dolls, and everyone that still rapes a kid gets a bullet. THEN I'm on board.

WTactualF

Here's the continuing stupidity of your kind.

Pedophiles who have been convicted should NEVER be released back into our society. NEVER! But they are and I can't prevent that. That is the situation we are in.

Nothing I have seen to date has or can rehabilitate them from this disgusting behavior. Which is why I believe they should never be released back into society. But once again they are.

So yes, if there is some research indicating that this may prevent even 5, 10, 20 or 50 children that would not be victims of pedophilia I say try it. Use it as an experiment to further study if it is actually effective or not.

As far as I'm concerned they could have given them a bullet the first time they committed such an atrocity against a child. But I, just like you don't have any control over that. What you're on board with is not trying to do anything to prevent the further sexual abuse of children by doing nothing to try and help the problem. Once again the party of no rears its ugly head.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
So now it's a bad thing when the politicians of Oregon decided that it was smart to reenact drug laws? The damned if you do, damned if you don't approach?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So now it's a bad thing when the politicians of Oregon decided that it was smart to reenact drug laws? The damned if you do, damned if you don't approach?

Where. did. I. say. it. was. a. bad. thing???

P
Legend
Legend
P
You posted it in the "Cuckoo Democrats" thread. Dear Lord man.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'll just let the stupid posts go so you don't spend another day embarrassing yourself.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You overvalue your own opinion in your very restricted and jaded world. You sound like you're reciting part of a trump speech. You know, someone who has convinced themselves they're much smarter than they actually are.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Absolutely disgusting.

WTactualF

Here's the continuing stupidity of your kind.

Pedophiles who have been convicted should NEVER be released back into our society. NEVER! But they are and I can't prevent that. That is the situation we are in.

Nothing I have seen to date has or can rehabilitate them from this disgusting behavior. Which is why I believe they should never be released back into society. But once again they are.

So yes, if there is some research indicating that this may prevent even 5, 10, 20 or 50 children that would not be victims of pedophilia I say try it. Use it as an experiment to further study if it is actually effective or not.

As far as I'm concerned they could have given them a bullet the first time they committed such an atrocity against a child. But I, just like you don't have any control over that. What you're on board with is not trying to do anything to prevent the further sexual abuse of children by doing nothing to try and help the problem. Once again the party of no rears its ugly head.

You're right.

Taxpayer funded child-aged sex dolls for pediphiles is probably a great idea. I can't see anything that could go wrong there.

I mean, afterall, limited studies have shown it's true.

Here's another study as an example:
Study says drug decriminalization in Oregon did not cause more overdose deaths

The moral of this story: Even though there is always a study to contradict common-sense, that doesn't make it a good idea.

In this case, the voter can see the forest through the trees. They can see the disaster that ensued after another great idea.

I wonder how this study works?

"Does this make you feel better?"
"Oh yes, very much so."
"Do you still want to rape kids?"
"No, not at all!"
"Are there any other comments you'd like to make?"
"Uh, yeah, can I get one just a teensie bit younger.... with short hair?"

NOBODY CAN BE THIS STUPID. So you can save the "if it saves one child" narrative, it's b.s., it will save one and harm ten others. Except we won't know for decades, because the bulk of these cases fly under the radar and are never reported.

Last edited by FATE; 03/04/24 12:39 PM.

Legend
Legend
You overvalue your own opinion in your very restricted and jaded world. You sound like you're reciting part of a trump speech. You know, someone who has convinced themselves they're much smarter than they actually are.

Lol. Now I'm just like Trump. thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
So you have nothing of substance to debate the topic with the exception of claiming "It won't work so why try."

Yes, making excuses to try nothing sounds like a much better approach. The party of no.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
So you have nothing of substance to debate the topic with the exception of claiming "It won't work so why try."

Yes, making excuses to try nothing sounds like a much better approach. The party of no.

And you sound like you always sound. Supporting arguments with dumb statements and even dumber accusations.

Please tell me where I said "try nothing".

Please tell me how you equate CHILD SEX DOLLS FOR PEDOPHILES as the only hope for rehabilitation.

You know that's what you just said, right?

Just because you did it in away to demean my common sense and the GOP in general doesn't change the substance of your statement.

So, since this will be another argument based on rabbit holes...

Do you think sex dolls for pedophiles is the only hope for rehabbing child rapists?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Do you think sex dolls for pedophiles is the only hope for rehabbing child rapists?

The only hope? Let me tell you what I do know. So far nothing else has helped. As I said before I don't think they should ever be set loose back into society but they are. So no, I think life without parole would be the best solution. But as far as "rehabilitation" is concerned, there has been treatment, counseling and many other methods tried at extreme costs. Home monitoring, extensive parole and probation. I haven't seen any real indications any of this has helped.

So I don't know what the answer is. I'm not sure this would help. But what I do know is there are indications that it might. I know it would be an infinitesimal cost compared to the other measures they are currently trying with no real success I have listed above.

So at this point giving it a try is something I would be willing to go along with. They can use it as their own study. Use X amount of pedophiles to use in this is experiment to see if it reduces the recidivism rate among the participants. If so expand the program and if not end the program.

Your answer seems to be not to try. And what programs and ideas do you have for rehabbing child rapists? And no, castration along with life without parole is not "rehab" as much as I may go along with those as solutions.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't know how you say "nothing else has helped". Seems like a cop-out. One that falls into the category of "well, prove it has" and then uses the fact that pedophilia hasn't been eliminated as some kind of proof that nothing works.

Just google "breakthroughs in rehabilitation for pedophiles"

Page after page of current treatments and results. Prospective treatments and expected results. None of them (yet) say Child Sex Dolls.

This is just from one page:
Androgen deprivation therapy
selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
Aversion therapy
Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
Group therapy

If we've tried all of those and none of them have worked, it's waaay too late for a sex doll anyway.

I think (and this is where the political divide occurs) there are too many people on the left trying to dazzle the crowd with ideas that are so far outside the box that they make no sense, or at least oppose simple common sense. And from my point of view, they are seemingly always victimizing the perpetrator. The drug laws in Portland, again, are a great example.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's really not much to stand on. Your main reason seems to be because YOU think it's far outside the box. Why do you think this shouldn't be tried because other attempts haven't worked? Why anyone would object to a very inexpensive experiment to gauge if this might work is beyond me. Once again people make trying to help solve a serious problem a left verses right issue when it shouldn't be. Once we say it's it's waaay too late to try something different we have chosen to restrict the lengths we're willing to go in order to attempt to solve a very serious problem.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Okey dokey.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Legend
Legend
Garland and Kamala... fighting to keep our elections safe.

AG Garland pledges to fight voter ID laws, election integrity measures

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Cuckoo Democrats And What They Have Become Pt 4

Link Copied to Clipboard