Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) — Social media star-turned-boxer Jake Paul will fight former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson on July 20 at AT&T Stadium, Netflix announced Thursday.

The streaming platform will provide live coverage of the bout between the 27-year-old Paul and 57-year-old Tyson, who hasn’t fought since he and Roy Jones Jr. met in a 2020 exhibition that ended as a draw.

Paul built a significant fan following as a YouTube influencer and turned professional in boxing four years ago. He has won nine of 10 fights with six knockouts against mostly undistinguished opponents. His only loss came last year to Tommy Fury, half brother of WBC heavyweight champ Tyson Fury.

“Iron Mike” Tyson was the undisputed world heavyweight champion from 1987-90 and retired in 2005 after winning 50 fights, 44 by knockout.

“My sights are set on becoming a world champion, and now I have a chance to prove myself against the greatest heavyweight champion of the world, the baddest man on the planet and the most dangerous boxer of all time. Time to put Iron Mike to sleep,” Paul wrote on X, formerly Twitter.

Paul’s second professional fight was on the undercard of the Tyson-Jones fight. His most recent fight was last Saturday, when he knocked out Ryan Bourland.

“I’m very much looking forward to stepping into the ring with Jake Paul at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas,” Tyson said in a statement. “He’s grown significantly as a boxer over the years, so it will be a lot of fun to see what the will and ambition of a ‘kid’ can do with the experience and aptitude of a GOAT. It’s a full circle moment that will be beyond thrilling to watch; as I started him off on his boxing journey on the undercard of my fight with Roy Jones and now I plan to finish him.”

https://apnews.com/article/boxing-j...JDqE0z1WjT7JcLS8N5NCNi1wDGVR68y0wOq1AC9U

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Is it PPV on Netflix, or for everyone?

No Craps Given
L
Legend
Legend
L
I wish this clown would go away, its embarrasing. He needs to fight someone his age/weight.. He will duck everyone and keep fighting old men or people that don't box and 99% get paid to take a fall. I've seen his "knockouts" anyone thats done any type of combat sports will tell you that all those are paid falls. My only hope is Tyson doesn't hold back and just breaks him off. Dude is horrible for the sport and making it a clown show. HATE the paul brothers. They are everything wrong with the culture today.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Pay day.

At one time I never missed big fights. Boxing was my first sport. My godfather was a heavyweight.

Later one of my best friends became a boxing judge. All the big PPV fights were a big deal. A bunch of us guys would get together and make a night of the big fights.

There is no boxer today that I am interested in.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
The only reason I can think of that Tyson would even take this fight is money trouble. His is 57 years old with nothing to prove to anyone.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It's a pay day and nothing more.

Back in the day boxing was huge. I watched all the big fights. Leonard/Duran. Hearns/Hagler. I never missed an Ali fight. Loved Duran.
I watched all the championship fights in every weight class.

Canelo Alvarez is the only guy today that I would watch.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Safe to presume Jake Paul resumes sparring with the dildo as part of his training regimen?

L
Legend
Legend
L
“I’m very much looking forward to stepping into the ring with Jake Paul at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas,” Tyson said in a statement. “He’s grown significantly as a boxer over the years, so it will be a lot of fun to see what the will and ambition of a ‘kid’ can do with the experience and aptitude of a GOAT. It’s a full circle moment that will be beyond thrilling to watch; as I started him off on his boxing journey on the undercard of my fight with Roy Jones and now I plan to finish him.”
_______
Yeah, Mike wrote that release himself. He’s become so eloquent. I can’t imagine him stumbling over the word “significantly”, or any word.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I still really don't understand who Jake Paul is, what he does, or why he's famous. He's like a YouTube star? Now he's a pretend boxer? I don't get it.

I hope he gets his bell rung by Tyson!!

Last edited by tastybrownies; 03/07/24 10:53 PM.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Is it PPV on Netflix, or for everyone?

While I'm not totally sure how accurate this is, it seems it will be free for all Netflix subscribers.....

Netflix Fight Night: Mike Tyson to Battle Jake Paul in “Boxing Mega-Event” Streaming Live in July

The streaming giant is partnering with Paul's Most Valuable Promotions on the bout, which will be held at AT&T Stadium in Dallas.

Netflix is getting into combat sports in a major way, picking up what it is calling a “boxing mega-event” that will see the controversial former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson face off against YouTuber-turned-fighter Jake Paul.

Paul’s Most Valuable Promotions is partnering with Netflix on the event, which will stream live on the platform July 20 from AT&T Stadium in Dallas.

The match will be included for all Netflix subscribers (many other boxing bouts still use a pay-per-view model), though tickets will be sold to fill the 80,000-seat arena. There will also be a co-main event and undercard bouts.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/netflix-boxing-mike-tyson-vs-jake-paul-1235845004/

It's a rather long article but this is the portion that addressed your question.

I am really not paying attention to RG3's opinion but here is a quick video of Tyson training for the fight. I do think his best shot at winning would be to knock Paul out early.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: EveDawg
E
Legend
Legend
E
Ok, thats good news. I have Netflix so I will tune in.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Like real early.

He can still hit but stamina at his age is not coming back.

Getting into the third round is what is called pulling him into the deep water.

I will watch it because it is free and I am curious. I have not seen Paul fight. I don't know what he has.

I wish boxing had a few super stars but I am not aware of any outside of Canelo Alvarez.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
i don't like this a bit. like you said stamina will be the key to the fight. mike got me excited when i 1st watched his workout but reality soon set in . this guy won.t be like the roy jones BS. he will hit back while facing mike not a stupid worn out sneak punch while walking away.he better duck and keep moving. good luck mike

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I hope Mike splits him in half with an uppercut.
That said, it’ll likely be a somewhat controlled exhibition match. Sadly.

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Part of me wants Mike to obliterate him to put an end to this charade, but I am starting to realize it’s just a publicity stunt and they are both in on it. Prob some silly rules like no knockouts . No way Paul gets out of the first round against a wbc rules match. Mike may be older but he’s being trained by one of the best in world and power is the last thing that goes and Mike stays in shape. Jake Paul is a joke

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
That's what I'm expecting. I think it is a hype-machine exhibition to test-drive Netflix stealing the PPV market.
They need content, and this is a good test of whether or not they can get it done.

I wish it would be a REAL fight, however. I'd love to see Mike destroy the kid.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Maybe this is a question that's already been answered above, or I haven't read the articles carefully enough,
but how much is Tyson set to make?

Legend
Legend
Why is Jake Paul so popular??? he doesn't fight anyone.... this fight is ridiculous... Tyson is almost 60.... Jake Paul is a joke....

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
All I could find is this: " While the respective purses are yet to be publicly released, Paul has said in the past he believes a fight with Tyson would generate $300million"

The article I plucked that from speculates Tyson could be getting as much as $50-$100 million.
Jake Paul earned $30 million for his loss to Tommy Fury.... it's just Silly Money.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Unless Mike gets lucky early. He is will get knocked out.

How they could get $300m for an exhibition fight is crazy.

A 58 year old against a youtube fighter. What a Joke.

Watching Marvelous Marvin Hagler fight Tommy Hitman Hearns was a real boxing match with the highest quality fighters against each other.

This joke is why boxing has become a bore.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
This fight only works because boxing isn't producing fights worth watching. People keep thinking back, just like both you and I are doing, to boxing's golden years. Ali vs Frazier, Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs Thomas the Hit Man Hearns. The days when Roberto Duran was great. Roy Jones Jr.

But those days are long gone and Tyson reminds them of the days when boxing had some meaning. I think if the fight is anything close to being legitimate Tyson will knock him out most likely in round 1. No later than round 2. But I'm not fooling myself into thinking it will be legitimate. One thing I will say is that Paul will have never been hit as hard before as he will be in this fight.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I could talk for hours on boxing. I grew up with the sport.

Anytime a championship fight was on. I watched it no matter the weight class.

I saw Duran train for a fight with a middleweight in a barn in Chesterland.

I never missed the big time PPV fights. Duran/Leonard. Ali, Holmes, Alexis Arguello, Aaron Pryor, Carlos Monzon.

When a big fight was scheduled a group of my friends would all get together at one house. We made a big deal about it. It was great fun. We were all huge boxing fans.

We went bonkers in the Hearns/Hagler fight. One of the most exciting fights of all time.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Was it Jake Paul or Logan Paul that faced off against Mayweather where they lost, and then Mayweather was basically like "Yeah, I could have ended it a LOT earlier, but I wanted to get paid..."?

The Paul brothers are from Westlake, which is where I'm from.

I am not proud of that fact.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm from Westlake. What issue do you have with Westlake?

No Craps Given
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

Try reading it again. Maybe it would help if you read it slowly this time. Here, I'll help you out. He's not proud of the fact the Paul brothers are from Westlake.

You're welcome.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
All I could find is this: " While the respective purses are yet to be publicly released, Paul has said in the past he believes a fight with Tyson would generate $300million"

The article I plucked that from speculates Tyson could be getting as much as $50-$100 million.
Jake Paul earned $30 million for his loss to Tommy Fury.... it's just Silly Money.

Where is the money going to come from, with no PPV or advertisment cash coming in? It's supposedly going to free on Netflix which doesn't have ads on their programs. Is Netflix just shelling out the money for the publicity?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted by jfanent

Where is the money going to come from, with no PPV or advertisment cash coming in? It's supposedly going to free on Netflix which doesn't have ads on their programs. Is Netflix just shelling out the money for the publicity?
Publicity that will, they hope, lead to more subscribers.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E

The least expensive Netflix subscription has ads. They can also put ads on the ring like UFC does. They can also charge a fee to view it like they do for some movies. They could also put ads on the screen next to the info box / scoreboard like MLS does. There are a lot of ways to make money.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend

The least expensive Netflix subscription has ads. They can also put ads on the ring like UFC does. They can also charge a fee to view it like they do for some movies. They could also put ads on the screen next to the info box / scoreboard like MLS does. There are a lot of ways to make money.

This is bigger than that and there are two huge reasons why.

#1. While people make fun of Paul, his company, MVP (Most Valuable Promotions), is the co-sponsor and has been growing by leaps and bounds since inception. Last year (maybe 2022?) they signed Amanda Serrano, a wildly popular Hispanic fighter... she recently became the first female fighter to headline at Madison Square Garden. Paul's partner at MVP put together the Tyson v Jones fight and it became the 8th most bought pay-per-view event in history. This is a win-win for both parties if it enhances MVP's ability to sign top talent and they already have a ready-made streamer with Netflix... one they can brag on after another huge revenue pay day.

#2. Millions and millions of viewers will be hearing all about Netflix's forthcoming streaming plans, particularly 'wrastlin'. Netflix signed a 10-year, $5 billion deal with WWE to begin airing their flagship Raw brand on Netflix by 2025.

The biggest streaming format on the planet is looking at this as a mic drop moment after years of everyone asking when they were going to get involved. It wouldn't matter if they lost money on this event.

Last edited by FATE; 03/17/24 11:04 PM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B

You have to pay for Netflix. I expect they hope to add subscribers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

Try reading it again. Maybe it would help if you read it slowly this time. Here, I'll help you out. He's not proud of the fact the Paul brothers are from Westlake.

You're welcome.

I read it the way she did, but figured it out after giving it some thought. The wording was a bit choppy.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Well with you, and to a lesser extent myself the age factor comes into play. But even we still got it. naughtydevil

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It is amazing the interest this "fight" is drawing.

I guess it is the Tyson Mystique.

When Tyson last fought it was 20 years ago. He is 58.

This will not be a regular boxing rules fight. They will probably fight 8 two minute rounds.

I am a bit suspicious about the whole thing. They may rehearse this like Wrestle Mania. Stage it to be entertaining.

L
Legend
Legend
L
people are desperate for someone to not be a sell out and not take a paid fall but to just erase this tool off the boxing map

Legend
Legend
I'd assume you're correct. When Tyson fought Jones Jr in 2020 it was 8 two minute rounds. Incidentally, Jake Paul KO'd former NBA player Nate Robinson on the undercard.

Tyson looked very spry for his age. It was also very evident that he wasn't throwing punches with his usual "bad intentions", probably had no plans to eat Jones' children after the fight, etc...

I would expect both would agree that this is more of an exhibition. Paul will likely dominate regardless, hopefully Iron Mike doesn't get hurt. People will watch, and will continue to gravitate towards these weird match-ups. What can be more exciting that combining boxing with a circus side-show? laugh

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I am too...

I'm just not proud of the fact the Paul brothers are from there as well...

Sheesh...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
To be fair, your post wasn't clear as to ^ that ^ or you saying you weren't proud to be from there. Although I suspected that's what you meant, it was a coin toss.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You're a coin toss wink

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
That's right, baby. Fair and balanced. thumbsup

2 members like this: lampdogg, oobernoober
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Jake Paul fight against Mike Tyson is announced for July 20 and will be streamed live on Netflix

Link Copied to Clipboard