Legend
Legend
I'm happy they're breaking the narrative as well. thumbsup

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
You always support states rights until you don't support states rights. Must be the pick and choose method.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by EveDawg
If libtards were tough on crime there wouldnt be so much of it. Libtards hand out get out of jail free cards left and right.

Map of gun deaths across the U.S. shows cities have lower rates than rural counties

The most rural counties had a 37% higher rate of firearm deaths than the most urban counties from 2011 to 2020, an analysis found.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...wer-cities-than-rural-counties-rcna81462

The Two-Decade Red State Murder Problem

https://www.thirdway.org/report/the-two-decade-red-state-murder-problem

You were saying?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
If libtards were tough on crime there wouldnt be so much of it. Libtards hand out get out of jail free cards left and right.

Map of gun deaths across the U.S. shows cities have lower rates than rural counties

The most rural counties had a 37% higher rate of firearm deaths than the most urban counties from 2011 to 2020, an analysis found.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...wer-cities-than-rural-counties-rcna81462

The Two-Decade Red State Murder Problem

https://www.thirdway.org/report/the-two-decade-red-state-murder-problem

You were saying?

Did she say firearm deaths? I can't see anything there about firearm deaths.. Hmm, let me check again...

Nope. Nothing about firearm deaths.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Legend
Legend
O

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I have no idea why it is you're defending him then.

Well, both Obama and Trump spent plenty of time on the links.

The difference in their golfing trips were nowhere close to the same. Now you're downplaying that he lied about it. Not only did he lie that he would not go golfing as president, in 2020 he lied that Obama had golfed more than he did....

Trump falsely claims that he golfs less than Obama during 276th golf course outing as president Published July 13, 2020 2:57PM (EDT)

https://www.salon.com/2020/07/13/tr...g-276th-golf-course-outing-as-president/

I get it though.

What everyone forgets is that Trump golfed at his own clubs. He charged the Secret Service for all the agents that stayed on his property and he increased the fees to them for that stay. He then made money off those golf trips.

Some think it's about golf but it's really about abuse of the system and abuse of power. Something that Trump has perfected. Trump is a criminal and it's time to put him away

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M

FFS....did Joe personally draft up this graphic?

Not that big of a deal but, man, does this sum up a lot. I hope this isn't real but it looks like the account has already deleted the tweet.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I understand things like shoplifting are more important to you.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I understand things like shoplifting are more important to you.

That deserves the very same meme:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
P
Legend
Legend
P
I understand that's what you call honesty these days. Violent crimes were down in 2023. Sorry you find that so hard to admit.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Sad.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I understand that's what you call honesty these days. Violent crimes were down in 2023. Sorry you find that so hard to admit.

I wouldn't be surprised -- they're not prosecuted or pleaded down.

But then there's this from the Council on Criminal Justice:

Most violent offenses remained elevated in 2023 compared to 2019, the year prior to the outbreak of COVID and the widespread social unrest of 2020. There were 18% more homicides in the study cities in 2023 than in 2019, and carjacking has spiked by 93% during that period.Jan 8, 2024

https://counciloncj.org/year-end-2023-crime-trends/#:~:text=Most%20violent%20offenses%20remained%20elevated,by%2093%25%20during%20that%20period.

Edit: I don't know why google does ^ this ^ to all the links nowadays.

https://counciloncj.org/year-end-2023-crime-trends/

You probably have a different set of "facts".

Last edited by FATE; 03/07/24 01:18 PM. Reason: fixed link

P
Legend
Legend
P
It is great to go back years with which to make a comparison. Rather than of course to compare the following year to the previous year. I'm surprised you didn't go back to the 1950's to make your comparison. I mean since you wanted to use facts and all. But since that's the game you like to play I'll play along....

We have made drastic improvements ion decreasing violent crime since 1991.

Reported violent crime rate in the U.S. 1990-2022
Published by Statista Research Department, Oct 20, 2023
In 2022, the violent crime rate in the United States was 369.8 cases per 100,000 of the population. Even though the violent crime rate has been decreasing since 1990, the United States tops the ranking of countries with the most prisoners. In addition, due to the FBI's recent transition to a new crime reporting system in which law enforcement agencies voluntarily submit crime reports, data may not accurately reflect the total number of crimes committed.

Reported violent crime rate in the United States
The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation tracks the rate of reported violent crimes per 100,000 U.S. inhabitants. In the timeline above, rates are shown starting in 1990. The rate of reported violent crime has fallen since a high of 758.20 reported crimes in 1991 to a low of 363.6 reported violent crimes in 2014.

In 2022, there were roughly 1.23 million violent crimes reported to the FBI in the United States. This number can be compared to the total number of property crimes, roughly 6.51 million that year. Of violent crimes in 2022, there were 893,980 aggravated assaults, making this offense the most common of violent crime offenses.

Law enforcement officers and crime clearance
Though the violent crime rate was down in 2013, the number of law enforcement officers also fell. Between 2005 and 2009, the number of law enforcement officers in the United States rose from around 673,100 to 708,600. However, since 2009, the number of officers fell to a low of 626,900 officers in 2013. The number of law enforcement officers has since grown, reaching 708,001 in 2022.

In 2022, the crime clearance rate in the U.S. was highest for murders and non-negligent homicides, with around 52.3 percent of murders being solved by investigators and a suspect being charged with the crime. Roughly 41.4 percent of aggravated assaults were cleared in that year. A statistics report on violent crime in the U.S. can be found here.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191219/reported-violent-crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990/

Then of course murder rates dropped in 2023 from 2022.

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
A couple snippets for the SOTU tonight;

Biden to call in State of the Union for business tax hikes, middle class tax cuts and lower deficits
JOSH BOAK
Thu, March 7, 2024 at 5:06 AM EST·2 min read

FILE - People walk outside the U.S Capitol building in Washington, June 9, 2022. President Joe Biden goes into Thursday's State of the Union address with an expanded plan to raise corporate taxes. He would use the proceeds to trim budget deficits and cut taxes for the middle class.(AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, File) (ASSOCIATED PRESS)More
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden is going into Thursday's State of the Union address with an expanded plan to raise corporate taxes and use the proceeds to trim budget deficits and cut taxes for the middle class.

The Democratic president in this election year is refining the economic agenda that he’s been pushing since the 2020 presidential race, trying to show that he is addressing voters’ concerns about the cost of living. With Republican control of the House, Biden’s agenda is unlikely to become law and serves as something of a sales pitch to voters.

In a preview of Biden's remarks, aides including Lael Brainard, director of the White House National Economic Council, said the president would contrast his proposals with Republican plans to extend former President Donald Trump's expiring tax breaks and further slash corporate tax rates.

Under Biden's proposal, corporations would no longer be able to deduct the expense of employee pay above $1 million, which could raise $270 billion over 10 years. He also wants to raise the corporate tax rate to 28% from 21%, among other measures. And, as Biden has previously proposed, major companies would be charged a minimum tax rate so that they could not avoid the IRS through accounting maneuvers, deductions and specialized tax breaks.

Billionaires would need to pay a minimum of 25% in federal taxes on their income under his plans. People earning more than $400,000 would also pay higher Medicare taxes to ensure the program's financial viability.

Biden would use some of those revenues to pay for expansions of the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit, which would help lower-income families. He is also seeking to permanently make health insurance premiums lower for those who receive their medical coverage through the 2010 Affordable Care Act.

Aides said Biden's forthcoming budget plan would trim the national debt by $3 trillion over 10 years, similar to what he pitched in last year's budget proposal, which was not approved by Congress.

Legend
Legend
Ah yes, the last thing we would want to do is go back to the previous presidency.

So everything should be compared year to year?

Except when Pit@Dawgtalkers is talking about illegal border crossings, then go month to month and say brainless things like "numbers are down at the border in June but no one is giving Biden credit for that".

P
Legend
Legend
P
Your only problem seems to be that I have never denied the numbers at the border. You seem to be denying those June numbers however. Try again Grasshopper. BTW- George H. W. Bush was president in 1991. Not a democrat.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Your only problem seems to be that I have never denied the numbers at the border. You seem to be denying those June numbers however. Try again Grasshopper. BTW- George H. W. Bush was president in 1991. Not a democrat.

What does Bush have to do with what I posted??

LEARN. TO. READ.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Let me tell you what doesn't have to do with anything in regards to crime in American cities. And that's who is president.

Over time you have assigned blame for crime in our cities to liberal prosecutors which are elected by local citizens. And there are signs that makes sense. You have blamed it on local liberal judges. And there are signs that makes sense. It seems as though you can't seem to figure out who you wish to blame and who that happens to be simply changes with the wind.

However since it seems you need this explained to you, I will do so. No president has any power over any of that. Presidents have no power to impose laws or anything else in our cities. They don't vote to elect a city prosecutor. They don't appoint local judges.

The closest you can come to any of that is that presidents nominate district court judges. Even then they have to be approved by the Senate.

You asked me to learn to read. All I'm asking you to do is learn.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Sad.

Making fun of MAGA dolts is literally their job, reporting on all the bizarre things MAGA does tends to make you laugh at them.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
New obstruction of justice crimes levied against Sen. Bob Menendez in rewritten indictment

NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez and his wife face new charges that they obstructed justice while they were being investigated over allegations that they accepted bribes of gold bars, cash and a luxury car from three favor-seeking New Jersey businessmen.

The obstruction charges were added Tuesday to a rewritten indictment returned against the Democrat and his wife, Nadine.

In a statement, the senator called the additions “a flagrant abuse of power.”

“I am innocent and will prove it no matter how many charges they continue to pile on,” Menendez said.

The new allegations — part of what is now an 18-count indictment — are related to gifts prosecutors say the couple received from Jose Uribe, who pleaded guilty to bribery charges last week and agreed to testify in the corruption case.

During his court appearance Friday, Uribe had described working with Nadine Menendez in 2022 and 2023 to mislead federal prosecutors about a luxury Mercedes-Benz sedan he had purchased for her.

Uribe said he bought the car because Sen. Menendez had used his political influence to stop criminal investigations into two of his associates. But after Uribe got a federal subpoena demanding documents, he assured Nadine Menendez he would tell investigators the auto payments had been a loan.

Nadine Menendez “said that sounded good,” according to prosecutors.

“I knew that giving a car in return for influencing a United States senator to stop a criminal investigation was wrong, and I deeply regret my actions,” Urbe said in court on Friday.

The indictment said Menendez also caused his lawyer to falsely tell prosecutors overseeing the investigation that he was unaware another of his business associates had helped his wife make a $23,000 mortgage payment on her New Jersey home. It said Nadine Menendez caused her lawyer to tell prosecutors last August that the mortgage payment and funds provided for the Mercedes were loans when she knew they were bribes.

Menendez said in a statement that prosecutors have “long known that I learned of and helped repay loans — not bribes — that had been provided to my wife.”

After his fall arrest, Menendez, 70, was forced to relinquish his chairmanship of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee but said he would not resign from Congress.

The senator and his wife are scheduled to go on trial in May on an array of corruption allegations. Among other things, Menendez is accused of taking actions that benefited the governments of Egypt and Qatar as a way of helping two New Jersey associates get financial deals linked to those two countries.

According to an indictment, Menendez and his wife accepted gold bars and cash from a real estate developer in return for the senator using his clout to get that businessman a multimillion-dollar deal with a Qatari investment fund.

Menendez was charged with helping another New Jersey business associate get a lucrative deal with the government of Egypt.

An FBI raid on the couple’s home in 2022 resulted in the discovery of over $100,000 in gold bars and more than $480,000 in cash, much of it hidden in closets, clothing and a safe, prosecutors said. Menendez said the cash found in the house was personal savings he had put away for emergencies.

Judge Sidney H. Stein on Monday rejected Menendez’s argument that the search was unconstitutional.

The son of Cuban immigrants, Menendez has held public office continuously since 1986, when he was elected mayor of Union City, New Jersey. In 2006, then-Gov. Jon Corzine appointed Menendez to the Senate seat he vacated when he became governor.

https://apnews.com/article/menendez...tEIvoFslpsD90TuIO56aJiH21mwbAzzVi8UTlE_E

This is what a real POS looks and sounds like. I can't believe he's still in office and the sooner they can get him out of there the better.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Sad.

Making fun of MAGA dolts is literally their job, reporting on all the bizarre things MAGA does tends to make you laugh at them.

So if people in VA say illegal immigration is a concern they're MAGA?

It is entertaining though... especially the trash-ass racist always calling everyone racist. rofl

Legend
Legend

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah - Menendez needed to be out of his role a long time ago. It seems insane that he's not. The guy is already 70 and is emblematic of what happens when you're allowed to be in power too long. "Champion of the people" on one hand while he's getting bribes under the table in the other hand. I'm sure him staying in office keeps those faucets turned on, too.

The guy needs to go.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by northlima dawg
A couple snippets for the SOTU tonight;

Biden to call in State of the Union for business tax hikes, middle class tax cuts and lower deficits
JOSH BOAK
Thu, March 7, 2024 at 5:06 AM EST·2 min read

FILE - People walk outside the U.S Capitol building in Washington, June 9, 2022. President Joe Biden goes into Thursday's State of the Union address with an expanded plan to raise corporate taxes. He would use the proceeds to trim budget deficits and cut taxes for the middle class.(AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, File) (ASSOCIATED PRESS)More
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden is going into Thursday's State of the Union address with an expanded plan to raise corporate taxes and use the proceeds to trim budget deficits and cut taxes for the middle class.

The Democratic president in this election year is refining the economic agenda that he’s been pushing since the 2020 presidential race, trying to show that he is addressing voters’ concerns about the cost of living. With Republican control of the House, Biden’s agenda is unlikely to become law and serves as something of a sales pitch to voters.

In a preview of Biden's remarks, aides including Lael Brainard, director of the White House National Economic Council, said the president would contrast his proposals with Republican plans to extend former President Donald Trump's expiring tax breaks and further slash corporate tax rates.

Under Biden's proposal, corporations would no longer be able to deduct the expense of employee pay above $1 million, which could raise $270 billion over 10 years. He also wants to raise the corporate tax rate to 28% from 21%, among other measures. And, as Biden has previously proposed, major companies would be charged a minimum tax rate so that they could not avoid the IRS through accounting maneuvers, deductions and specialized tax breaks.

Billionaires would need to pay a minimum of 25% in federal taxes on their income under his plans. People earning more than $400,000 would also pay higher Medicare taxes to ensure the program's financial viability.

Biden would use some of those revenues to pay for expansions of the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit, which would help lower-income families. He is also seeking to permanently make health insurance premiums lower for those who receive their medical coverage through the 2010 Affordable Care Act.

Aides said Biden's forthcoming budget plan would trim the national debt by $3 trillion over 10 years, similar to what he pitched in last year's budget proposal, which was not approved by Congress.

"Now I'm going to steal from the rich... and give to the poor. It's been my plan all along."

Except nobody is dumb enough to believe this crap. May as well walk out flanked by unicorns farting fairy dust.

Nobody believes it and most people can see it as disingenuous. If you were "gonna do this", it would have already been done. You write phone apps to smuggle in illegals with free frequent flyer miles FFS. This is just a 'plant' so you can come back in October and say "I was gonna do this, but Trump!!"

It's like me telling my high-school-graduating son I was going to buy him a new Corvette... but his mom said no.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, increasing your income is a terrible way to lessen your debt. Not forcing the wealthy to pay their fair percentage of taxes seems like that fairest system on the planet.

#newmath

#gmstrong
E
EveDawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
E
Last year Biden said he would get rid of junk fees for concerts and sporting events. That never happened. He just makes up lies.

No Craps Given
P
Legend
Legend
P
"Biden" just makes up lies? I bet you love that finished border wall that Mexico paid for don't you? rofl

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
At least he didn't roll out a red carpet and string across a finish line.

"I want you to surge the border."

Legend
Legend
BIDEN TO CALL FOR 21% MINIMUM CORPORATE TAX RATE FIR BILLION-DOLLAR CORPORATIONS

I'm just looking forward to hearing him try to say this sentence. This one is not coming out alright.

Legend
Legend
Last year Biden said he would get rid of junk fees for concerts and sporting events. That never happened. He just makes up lies.

He's going to put a cap on junk fees. They just said so this morning.

Joe's got some big plans in store for us. thumbsup

E
EveDawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
E
So he's making up more lies.

No Craps Given
P
Legend
Legend
P
Thais if he can get congress to act on it. Just like he is/was trying to get congress to do on the junk fees Eve was talking about. I have mo idea why you think a president is a dictator. No wait, I do......

In his State of the Union address Tuesday, President Joe Biden touted his administration’s efforts to crack down on so-called “junk fees,” or charges that raise the prices of items like concert tickets, hotel rooms and internet service.

“Americans are tired of being played for suckers,” Biden said.

He urged Congress to require online ticket sellers to disclose the full costs upfront, eliminate cancellation penalties for phone and web services and ban fees that airlines charge for families to sit together and that hotels tack on for being resorts. Biden also said his administration will require airlines to disclose full ticket prices upfront and push banks to reduce “excessive” credit card late fees.

“Junk fees may not matter to the very wealthy, but they matter to most folks in homes like the one I grew up in,” Biden said. “They add up to hundreds of dollars a month.”

He pointed to the Junk Fee Prevention Act, a proposal he wants Congress to pass that would crack down on four types of the practice:

Entertainment Fees

These are the service charges, processing fees, delivery fees and facility fees that online ticket sellers charge, which often add significant expense to the cost to attend events. In a nod to the public outcry over the botched sale of Taylor Swift concert tickets, Biden’s proposal notes a lack of competition in the industry leading to companies charging fees with impunity. It urges Congress to ban excessive fees, require charges to be disclosed in the ticket price and mandate sellers disclose any ticket holdbacks that reduce the available supply.

Airline Fees

No airline guarantees free family seating. To bring transparency to families faced with unexpected fees to sit with their children, the Department of Transportation will publish a dashboard of the charges and work to ban them. The proposal asks Congress to fast-track the prohibition process.

Termination Fees

Charges for ending mobile phone, wireless or cable TV services undermine competition in the market, Biden said. His administration called for the Federal Communications Commission to limit these fees in 2021, and now urges Congress to eliminate them in the name of “economic dynamism.”

Resort Fees

The Biden administration wants hotels to include the surprise fees they charge for being resorts in the room rates so vacationers can budget more accurately. “These fees can cost you up to $90 a night at hotels that aren’t even resorts,” Biden said.

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/movies/biden-wants-ban-junk-fees-050900177.html

Let me guess, you'll still claim it's all Biden's fault.

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N

E
EveDawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
E
Thais if he can get congress to act on it. Just like he is/was trying to get congress to do on the junk fees Eve was talking about. I have mo idea why you think a president is a dictator. No wait, I do......

In his State of the Union address Tuesday, President Joe Biden touted his administration’s efforts to crack down on so-called “junk fees,” or charges that raise the prices of items like concert tickets, hotel rooms and internet service.

“Americans are tired of being played for suckers,” Biden said.

He urged Congress to require online ticket sellers to disclose the full costs upfront, eliminate cancellation penalties for phone and web services and ban fees that airlines charge for families to sit together and that hotels tack on for being resorts. Biden also said his administration will require airlines to disclose full ticket prices upfront and push banks to reduce “excessive” credit card late fees.

“Junk fees may not matter to the very wealthy, but they matter to most folks in homes like the one I grew up in,” Biden said. “They add up to hundreds of dollars a month.”

He pointed to the Junk Fee Prevention Act, a proposal he wants Congress to pass that would crack down on four types of the practice:

Entertainment Fees

These are the service charges, processing fees, delivery fees and facility fees that online ticket sellers charge, which often add significant expense to the cost to attend events. In a nod to the public outcry over the botched sale of Taylor Swift concert tickets, Biden’s proposal notes a lack of competition in the industry leading to companies charging fees with impunity. It urges Congress to ban excessive fees, require charges to be disclosed in the ticket price and mandate sellers disclose any ticket holdbacks that reduce the available supply.

Airline Fees

No airline guarantees free family seating. To bring transparency to families faced with unexpected fees to sit with their children, the Department of Transportation will publish a dashboard of the charges and work to ban them. The proposal asks Congress to fast-track the prohibition process.

Termination Fees

Charges for ending mobile phone, wireless or cable TV services undermine competition in the market, Biden said. His administration called for the Federal Communications Commission to limit these fees in 2021, and now urges Congress to eliminate them in the name of “economic dynamism.”

Resort Fees

The Biden administration wants hotels to include the surprise fees they charge for being resorts in the room rates so vacationers can budget more accurately. “These fees can cost you up to $90 a night at hotels that aren’t even resorts,” Biden said.

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/movies/biden-wants-ban-junk-fees-050900177.html

Let me guess, you'll still claim it's all Biden's fault.

This is from a year ago, along with his lies. Still paying junk fees.

No Craps Given
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Credit card late fees capped at $8 as part of Biden crackdown on junk fees
Matt Egan
By Matt Egan, CNN
4 minute read
Updated 5:21 PM EST, Tue March 5, 2024

CNN

Federal regulators finalized a rule on Tuesday to cap most credit card late fees at $8 as part of a broader push by the Biden administration to eliminate junk fees.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau estimates the new regulation, first proposed in February 2023, will save families more than $10 billion a year by cutting fees from an average of $32.

The new rule applies to large credit card issuers – those with more than 1 million accounts. These companies represent more than 95% of total outstanding credit card debt, according to the CFPB.

The new push to target credit card fees comes as the White House aims to show it is taking action to help families hurting from the high cost of living. The CFPB also proposed a rule in January that would curb excessive overdraft fees.

It also comes as Americans continue to pile on credit card debt, which recently exceeded a record $1.1 trillion. Some borrowers, especially Millennials and those with lower incomes, have been falling behind on their credit card debt following more than two years of high inflation.

More than 45 million people are charged late fees on credit cards each year, according to the CFPB. Those individuals will now save an average of $220 per year, regulators say.

The new rule aims to close a 2010 loophole the CFPB says has been “exploited” by credit card companies, allowing them to jack up fees on borrowers who made late payments.

“For over a decade, credit card giants have been exploiting a loophole to harvest billions of dollars in junk fees from American consumers,” CFPB Director Rohit Chopra said in a statement. “Todays’ rule ends the era of big credit card companies hiding behind the excuse of inflation when they hike fees on borrowers to boost their own bottom lines.”

The financial industry slammed the CFPB, warning the new regulation will hurt consumers by causing more people to pay late, damaging their credit scores.

“Today’s announcement is a prime example of how the CFPB has been politicized, and how its regulatory actions promote rhetoric over analysis and data,” Greg Baer, CEO of the Bank Policy Institute, a bank trade group, said in a statement. He added that the CFPB puts “perceived short-term political gain over long-term benefits of consumers.”

Chamber of Commerce vows to fight
The US Chamber of Commerce went a step further, saying it will “imminently” file a lawsuit against the CFPB to prevent the “misguided and harmful” regulation from taking effect.

“Once again, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has exceeded its authority,” Neil Bradley, chief policy officer at the Chamber, said in a statement. “The agency’s final credit card late fee rule punishes Americans who pay their credit card bill on time by forcing them to pay for those who don’t.”

The CFPB declined to comment on the threatened lawsuit from the Chamber.

However, Sam Gilford, a CFPB spokesperson, told CNN that when the rule was first proposed last year the agency received thousands of “overwhelmingly” positive comments from the public. “Today’s rule closes a longstanding loophole abused by credit card giants to turn late fees into a major revenue stream,” Gilford said.

The CFPB said in its statement that the new rule will take effect 60 days after it’s published in the Federal Register. The CFPB spokesperson told CNN that the agency expects to publish the rule in the Federal Register in a few weeks. That puts the rule on track to take effect June 1.

Analysts were surprised by the speedy plans from regulators to implement the brand-new rule.

“This is a few months faster than we expected. We believe it is intended to expedite litigation,” Jaret Seiberg, financial services analyst at TD Cowen Washington Research Group, said in a note to clients.

If Biden wins reelection, Seiberg said a court fight over the credit card rule could eventually reach the Supreme Court, where he believes the CFPB “has an edge.”

Ed Mills, Washington policy analyst at Raymond James, said the way the CFPB designed the rule has eliminated “several strong potential legal arguments” the industry could have used to fight it.

“We are overall skeptical that the industry will be successful in overturning the rule,” Mills said in a note to clients.

‘Government working for the people’
The ban on excessive credit card late fees is expected to be showcased by the White House later on Tuesday when President Joe Biden convenes his Competition Council. The White House said the council will detail steps aimed at “fighting corporate rip-offs.”

Some consumer advocates are praising the new credit card regulations as a way to help vulnerable families.

“It’s simply unfair to impose a steep late fee penalty that far exceeds the credit card company’s costs, especially when someone is just a few hours or a couple of days late making their payment,” Chuck Bell, advocacy program director at Consumer Reports, said in a statement. He described the new rule as “reasonable” and a way to make a “real difference.”

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a Democrat from Massachusetts, cheered the move from the CFPB.

“These junk fees are designed to boost Wall Street profits at the expense of working people,” Warren said in a post on X. “This is government working for the people, not the big banks.”

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Biden: "I'm president for all Americans"

After spending the last hour dividing the country. Speech seemed more like a campaign rally than a state of the union. Congress on both sides were acting like douchebags. They all need to shutup. Embarassing. I'm surprised a fight didn't break out.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
P
Legend
Legend
P
This is from a year ago, along with his lies. Still paying junk fees.

Last year is exactly when you said he claimed he would put an end to those junk fees you talked about. I'm sorry you're not smart enough to figure out congress had to pass the bill. Thoughts and prayers.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Squires
Biden: "I'm president for all Americans"

After spending the last hour dividing the country. Speech seemed more like a campaign rally than a state of the union. Congress on both sides were acting like douchebags. They all need to shutup. Embarassing. I'm surprised a fight didn't break out.

MTG certainly tried to start one. Dressed like she was at a trump rally and acting like she was at one too.

The thing that stood out most to me is when Biden called for an end to political violence. In response not a single Republican member so much as clapped. Sometime what you don't do speaks volumes.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If anyone stood up and interrupted trump’s state of the union and started yelling and mocking him, they’d be beaten and dragged out of the chambers

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Sleepy Joe looked pretty animated last night. No doubt his candor and delivery was a big goal to combat a lot of the recent gaffes and reports, but I think he did himself a favor last night. I mentioned earlier somewhere in this forum that he needs to call back to the personality he had when he debated Paul Ryan, and I think he did that. Now whether that will be sustainable for the rest of the calendar year is the big question.

He also hit on the points that apply to the undecideds and the middle (IVF, RvW, etc), which I think is where Britt struggled.

I know Trump said he was going to do a play-by-play, but I didn't see anything on that front. Not sure what he put out, if anything.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Cuckoo Democrats And What They Have Become Pt 4

Link Copied to Clipboard