Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255
https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/sp...L703CVWlW6T528Z40F78Uvv-ueZQdgIZESth-nM8

Interesting conversation, particularly about the AFC North.

Without looking.....I predict this will be an article slamming the Browns.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by jfanent
Originally Posted by steve0255
https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/sp...L703CVWlW6T528Z40F78Uvv-ueZQdgIZESth-nM8

Interesting conversation, particularly about the AFC North.

Without looking.....I predict this will be an article slamming the Browns.

Actually, you'd be wrong. It talks about the improvement of the Browns over last year as well as the status of the other teams in the AFC North. They go into a little depth about particular players and does have an opinion on Watson which is not something that is an uncommon topic at this time. All in all, a pretty fair report on the Browns with pieces still to be added.

Last edited by steve0255; 03/19/24 02:59 PM.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Lol. The title line says "Robert Mays: I think it's going to be really difficult for the Browns to expect anything close to above average quarterback play from Deshaun Watson". That just reeks of positivity.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Average is a low bar, and I think that’s all we will ever get from him too. Truth is, I don’t think he ever wanted to even come here, and still doesn’t want to be here. He knows 1/2 the fans don’t like him. That has to weigh on a young person.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Average is a low bar, and I think that’s all we will ever get from him too. Truth is, I don’t think he ever wanted to even come here, and still doesn’t want to be here. He knows 1/2 the fans don’t like him. That has to weigh on a young person.

Yep, lousy fans are a part of performance issues for many athletes. Many athletes struggle with the knowledge that many "fans" don't care about them, but only the gratification they can provide by association. Having to deal with fanatics is a definite downside of being a professional athlete. People projecting their "thoughts" on you when they really don't know you has got to be frustrating as well.

I think he can (not necessarily will) overcome the weight, but he probably could have had an easier time with a different fan base. (Not that any fan base would be perfect.) Even with Joe in Indy, we'll probably have a vocal "we want Flacco" brigade.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think you all put too much on fan/athlete relationships.. Sure some of them like to be involved with the fans and they carve out that space while in town, guys like joe haden. But for I'd say 90+ percent.. they don't care either way.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by leadtheway
I think you all put too much on fan/athlete relationships.. Sure some of them like to be involved with the fans and they carve out that space while in town, guys like joe haden. But for I'd say 90+ percent.. they don't care either way.

Saying one doesn't care, even if one believes it, doesn't necessarily make it so.

They're not robots, having someone boo in your face or cheer when you are injured is going to have some effect.

Even if they are able to block out the noise, the act of blocking out the noise requires effort.

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
P
Legend
Legend
P
He knows 1/2 the fans don’t like him. That has to weigh on a young person.

The baggage he carried when the Browns signed him was the same no matter where he went. As we can see on this very board it didn't matter much to a lot of people. I think as far as averages go 1/2 is sadly a far too high number. I have no idea what that number truly is but I think it would have been the same no matter which team he went to. If that is the gauge you're suing he would have had to have left the NFL all together. And with that kind of money on the table no person in their right mind would have done that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Kareem Hunt was greatly disliked when he signed, as well. He stayed out of trouble, (for the most part) played hard and well, was a great teammate, loved the city. and was involved in some good causes.

This is the blueprint for Watson to follow.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan

Kareem Hunt was greatly disliked when he signed, as well. He stayed out of trouble, (for the most part) played hard and well, was a great teammate, loved the city. and was involved in some good causes.

This is the blueprint for Watson to follow.

It's the one he tried to follow. Unfortunately, when Watson got hurt he didn't have a Chubb at QB to make people forget about him/carry the load in his place.

Hunt came in with minimal expectations. He was a backup.

Watson was expected to be "the savior." He was in the limelight.

It's still the blueprint for Watson to follow. Unfortunately, not everything is in his control, especially outside perception.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan

He also admitted what he did, apologized for it and sought help for it. And that would be a blueprint for watson to follow.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
My point is that rehabilitating a horrible image is possible, if someone wants to work at it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O

Building on what you said, the knock on Watson earlier on was that he doesn't care. Now some are saying that he cares too much.

We gotta at least decide on one or the other.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by oobernoober

Building on what you said, the knock on Watson earlier on was that he doesn't care. Now some are saying that he cares too much.

We gotta at least decide on one or the other.

I don't know too many ways to be sure how much someone cares, but I am guessing if a guy plays 2/3 of a game with an injury to his throwing shoulder that is serious enough to require surgery, that he more than likely cares a lot. There has been more than one poster imply because his salary was guaranteed, that he wouldn't play if he was hurt even the slightest.

Legend
Legend

Not even close. Most guys care.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by GMdawg

Not even close. Most guys care.

I agree. Who in here wants to be disliked?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Very few people get to the NFL if they didn’t care. With rare exceptions (some have so much natural talent they can skate their way into the NFL), you have to love competing and love the game to get to that level.

Last edited by lampdogg; 03/23/24 05:27 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I don’t know what DW’s future plans are but he’ll be only 31 when this contract runs out assuming he doesn’t get extended. If he does well these next 3 years he’ll be in line for another big deal. I would think he cares not to mention i’m sure he has some pride.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think a renovation of the old stadium is a long term fix for the future. A dome is the way to go.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Not entirely Browns news....yet.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I hope they dont do that.. I get the whole bring the nfl to the world, but its just silly.. theres only 17 games, the people that are buying merchandise predominately live in the states, and all you're doing is taking a home game away from a team, making teams go across the globe to play a jet lagged game then have to get back and try to get ready for the next one.. its dumb. I think it needs to die. Bring back NFL europe or create other spin offs if other countries want to see american football. I swear Roger Goodell is ruining football, every year we get closer to flag football and these half baked money grabbing schemes

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
1 member likes this: lampdogg
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I hope they dont do that.. I get the whole bring the nfl to the world, but its just silly.. theres only 17 games, the people that are buying merchandise predominately live in the states, and all you're doing is taking a home game away from a team, making teams go across the globe to play a jet lagged game then have to get back and try to get ready for the next one.. its dumb. I think it needs to die. Bring back NFL europe or create other spin offs if other countries want to see american football. I swear Roger Goodell is ruining football, every year we get closer to flag football and these half baked money grabbing schemes

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but as long as their income keep surging, owners will follow his lead.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Well to be fair, that part of brazil is in the same time zone as us, so shouldn't be jet lag, but I agree that this game, at a minimum, shouldn't be a home or season opener. Let it be in October with the other international games, even further why not let it be a preseason game like in the 80s and 90s? Brazilians could care less who is playing, so let them watch 4th string scrubs and call it done. No major Soccer team is going to play their season opener here, so why should we?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sure sounds like Haslam is leaning Brookpark

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Re: Brazil..

Honestly think with the current 17 game schedule, that it should count as an away game for both teams.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't think a renovation of the old stadium is a long term fix for the future. A dome is the way to go.

The current stadium is a well built facility. It might be tough to retrofit a dome on it, but I'm certain it can be done. If they do that, then it can indeed be the long term solution.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

The current stadium is a well built facility. It might be tough to retrofit a dome on it, but I'm certain it can be done. If they do that, then it can indeed be the long term solution.

It could not be done, not realistically anyway. If it were, it would be one of the planet's greatest engineering feats.

The stadium is built on landfill. Pylons would need to go much deeper in order to support the added weight of the roof. Then the stadium would also need to be lowered -- so that the roof wouldn't impeded FAA flightpath regulations for Burke.

The cost would be much more than demolishing the stadium and starting all over.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B

Not going to beef your opinions on the game, but Brazil is 1 hours ahead of us time wise. Jet lag isn't a function of time spent in the plane. It is caused by the number of times zones one crosses. You cross more time zones going to the west coast than you do going to Brazil. Any lag will be the same as flying from Cleveland to Indy. And in reality, the biggest impact on lag is on the west to east flight, but either way, 1 hour isn't going to make much of an impact to our circadian rhythm. You can correct that in a day.

The bigger issue to me is the Peacock deal. The NFL needs to pick one streaming provider. If it's You Tube, fine. Peacock, fine, but it wisses me off when you have to start buying 3-4 different providers to watch your pucking game.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 03/28/24 10:12 AM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
It didn't take long for the Cleveland Browns to sign receiver Jerry Jeudy to an extension after he was recently acquired in a trade with the Denver Broncos, and it appears that Jeudy might not be the only Cleveland receiver to be offered an extension this offseason either.

Amari Cooper, a former first-round pick, is in the final year of a five-year contract that he signed with the Dallas Cowboys in 2020 and is currently carrying a cap hit of more than $23 million into this season.

However, Browns general manager Andrew Berry hinted that the team could lower Cooper's cap hit by signing him to a new deal.

"Coop's a Pro-Bowl caliber receiver. He's played very well for us the past two years." Berry said, per NBC Sports. "He's a strong presence in the locker room. We love him. Players like that, you want to make sure that you can retain him as long as possible."

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad:9
Learn More
In two seasons with Cleveland, Cooper has hauled in 150 catches for 2,410 yards and 14 touchdowns. As a result, it's easy to see why the Browns would want to extend Cooper beyond the 2024 season.

Check out this story from Fox Sports
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/n...ning-wr-amari-cooper-as-long-as-possible

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
Makes sense. Coop might know he can get more out of the Browns on a 2-3 year extension over playing this year then hitting the FA market.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
The Ridley contract didn't do the Browns any favors but, much like the Jeudy contract, they might want to get ahead of the upcoming deals of Chase, Jefferson, Higgins, etc.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
The Ridley contract didn't do the Browns any favors but, much like the Jeudy contract, they might want to get ahead of the upcoming deals of Chase, Jefferson, Higgins, etc.

I think that is exactly what is happening. We just saw some of that with QB contracts. What looks high today might not be so high when you look back at it in a year.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

rofl

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

A Cleveland kid....Glenville HS.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
A Cleveland kid....Glenville HS.

memp...yep, local kid comes home to play for his home town team...like it.. thumbsup

Not sure how the Browns determine his value since the kickoff rules have been changed for the 2024 season..? Maybe he can also fill in as a backup CB.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard