Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Online
Legend
This link provides a detail analysis of the types of injury to the "Glenoid."

https://www.verywellhealth.com/glenoid-fractures-2549790

After reading that it appears that he should recover and have no ill effects until possibly later in life.

Of course there is way more involved in "what to expect" from DW.

Life teaches us by testing our resolve. What can be accomplished in many cases can be defined by "how bad do you want it?"

Professional football for most who play it is surrounded by injury. Not many escape injury. It is part of playing football.

NFL players know that. They see it all the time.

DW like most has had to deal with injury. He has proven that he will play unless he is forced not to.

Can he regain his former standing as a quarterback? I don't think his motivation can be questioned.

It becomes a matter of "the greatest ability is availability."

If DW can remain on the field and play. I do believe he will return to his previous form.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Bone I feel the same way. I don’t think it’s just the money and contract with DW. Most of the QB’s have high salaries and very good contracts. I would think DW would like to win and win a Super Bowl just because that’s what all NFL players would like. On another note if he starts winning and gets to a Super Bowl there will probably less talk about his past and the legal problems. JMO

P
Legend
Legend
P
From a realistic standpoint I don't think anyone knows what to expect unless they've decided to convince themselves otherwise.

DW has shown he had a lot of difficulty coming back from his long absence from the field. There was a lot of ugly before we saw pretty and we saw pretty for a brief period of time before his injury.

It gives cause to think we can see pretty again but with recovering from an injury and yet another long period off the field how long will it be until we see pretty again this time?

Nobody knows the answer to that question.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
"how bad do you want it?"

Do I see Watson's determination to succeed on the football field as "his main focus" for playing the game..?...NO..!

The Browns owner and management have forfeited any and all leverage, to influence Watson to play football for the Cleveland Browns..to lead the Browns to their first ever Super Bowl Trophy. Watson has been handed a get out jail free card because he has Haslam and Haslam's management team over a barrel.

If Watson fails to deliver, FOR ANY REASON...he will get paid by Haslam because of the "guaranteed contract" that Watson (and his lawyers) demanded before he would agree to play for Haslam and Cleveland.

Given the circumstances the Browns owner and management team concocted, what is Watson's motive for playing Pro football?

Haslam and his management team doesn't like the idea of Flacco possibly putting pressure on Watson as competition for the starting QB position ...Flacco is gone..not resigned because it might upset Watson.

All Flacco did for Cleveland was...

...play a major role in leading the Browns to the playoffs
...helping Stefanski win the Coach of the Year Honors
...helping Jim Schwartz win Assistant Coach of the Year Honors
...helping Myles Garrett win his first Defensive Player of the Year award
...and Flacco earned his own award, being named Comeback Player of the Year

What has Watson done for the Cleveland Browns...not much..!

Does Watson owe the fans of the Cleveland Browns..?
Does Watson owe the Haslam family..?
Does Watson owe the Browns management team..?
Does Watson owe the Browns coaching staff..?
Does Watson owe the Browns medical and support staff..?

DAMN RIGHT HE DOES...Watson owes so many for sacrificing so much to help him be a successful Browns QB...and I'm one Browns fan that expects Watson to give back to those who have sacrificed for him..no excuses..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Why is a fully guaranteed contract more of a hit than say a partial guaranteed?

Herbert $218m guaranteed.

Burrow $219m guaranteed.

I get Joe played in the Super Bowl, but I guess $ 11 or $12 million less than Watson is not holding Cincinnati or the Chargers over a barrow.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly and 2 years is already paid. When it was first announced it came as a shock and was unprecedented but now it really is no big deal. The jury is still out on whether it was worth it or not depending on how DW plays these next 3 years.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It was unprecedented because his signing set the new precedent.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Didn't Kirk Cousin's three-year $84 million fully guaranteed contract set the new precedent? If I am not mistaken, he received a fully guaranteed extension.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So you think an 84 million dollar contract was the precedent for contracts worth 230 million, 218 million and a 219 million dollars? Cousin's contract paled in comparison. We're talking elite QB money not an 84 million dollar deal.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It was elite QB money at the time. It was the biggest QB contract in history. That's his point.

Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Cousins received a fully-guaranteed contract worth $84 million and his average annual salary of $28 million is the highest in NFL history.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: bugs
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
A good debate is if Cousin was worth that guaranteed money. I say yes. No, he didn't win a Super Bowl, but it stabilized the QB position for them. They were a playoff contender.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Pro Football Network lists quarterback as Browns' biggest weakness

Jacob Roach
May 3, 2024 9:09 am ET
link

Rookie minicamp is next weekend as the Cleveland Browns begin preparations for the 2024 season. Pro Football Network recently released an article about each team’s weakest position group after the draft, and they listed quarterback as Cleveland’s.

“Deshaun Watson is capable of recapturing the form he showed with the Texans, and he is still just 28 years old. But Watson looked lost at times last season, and he finished the campaign by missing the final eight games due to an injured throwing shoulder.

The Cleveland Browns will be a Super Bowl contender if Watson plays well. But if he struggles again or suffers another injury, Cleveland will be forced to play Jamies Winston, who’s as talented as he is unreliable.”

It’s hard to argue with any of their points. Watson had flashes of his old self, but that’s it—just a few moments here and there. There is plenty of reason for optimism with how well he was trending before the injury, but until he consistently puts it on the field, that’s all it is: optimism and hope.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
If that's Cleveland's biggest weakness, I'm good with it.

It is like saying Russel Wilson is the biggest weakness for Pittsburgh.

The QB injury issue would affect KC, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Baltimore.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Forget the guarantee's, guys like that don't get cut. They just don't. As soon as they sign it is pretty much a done deal they will play out the contract and earn the full deal.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
DW has shown he had a lot of difficulty coming back from his long absence from the field.

I don’t think DW was ever that good to begin with. I think Berry liked him before the draft. Then I think they got a little over mesmerized with his one good season, his leadership, and wanting to move off of Baker. The contract wasn’t a big deal because they knew the salary cap was going to explode. But no QB in the history of the NFL has gotten as much mileage out of a 4-12 season as Watson.

They thought they could take a backyard QB and turn him into a pocket passer. After two seasons they gave that up and brought in Dorsey. The Browns only chance for Watson to be successful is turning him into Josh Allen, which his body will not withstand.

The only saving grace I can really see is Watson seems to get better as the game moves on, the Browns defense will keep games close to make that possible, and the team seems to genuinely like and play for him.

It’s going to be a really interesting season. You will have to tailor your offense to a backyard football offense to have any chance to succeed. I believe that’s 100% their intention.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Legend
Legend
j/c

what do I expect? More inconsistency for whatever reason. He is what he is at this point: someone who hasn't played consistently well for 5 years

My biggest concern is that he really doesn't have the elusiveness or athleticism that he did back then

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
DW is the wild card for us this season. I think our D will be just as good if not better. Our ST's should be fine. The O should be better as long as we don't have all those injuries and Nick will help more and more as the season progresses. If DW plays well, not even very good, we should be able to play with anyone and are capable of winning any game. JMO

P
Legend
Legend
P
Let's face it, what we can expect is pretty much a coin toss at this juncture. I understand why some insist on being positive. I also understand why some insist on being negative.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I am not disagreeing with your statement, but it is an interesting take.

Many of the analysts and media are making the same assessment. Watson is unknown...he must be better for Cleveland to win.

Yet, Cleveland won 11 games with a myriad of QBs.

So, for Cleveland to be a winner, Watson must play better than Flacco? What exactly does Watson need to do better to make Cleveland better? If he plays at the level he did in Houston, does that give Cleveland three of four additional wins? Thus, we are saying Cleveland wins 14 or 15 games.

It is like the Browns have no issues other than Watson not playing to expectation, and with Watson not playing to his standard, Cleveland is unpredictable. It makes you go...hmmmm!

I get the whole contract debate. I want to know what Watson must do to make Cleveland better.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess what you're saying is the Browns can be a turnover machine and keep winning?

The QB position is the most valuable and highly paid position in the NFL for a reason. That reason is the QB play is the most important single player on the roster. they didn't pay DW 230 mil. to play like Flacco did.

The topic question is "What can we expect from DW?" Not "Can the Browns still win if DW under performs?"

This topic has never been about anything other than that.

If he plays like Flacco he will create a lot of turnovers. Sometimes people look at things like return on investment. I don't know how you see it but I'm pretty sure people think playing similar to a guy they pulled off the couch would be less than acceptable.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
My expectations for Watson are consistency, staying healthy, and helping the team make the playoffs. I like Watson to improve in scoring fast and play ball control when needed.

I believe the key issue for the Browns last year was consistency.

If the expectation is Watson needs to play better, I wanted to know what Watson needs to do.

Legend
Legend
My expectation is the same as our FO's. They expect DW to take us to the Super Bowl. It's the only rationale for that contract.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
It's evident DWs best days are behind him. But I think the Browns
Can make the playoffs provided they don't depend on DW carrying
The offense. The Browns stockpiled the RB room where
4 RBs can be asked to run the ball on Sunday
Watson will be asked to protect the ball. Keep the chains
Moving. Dorsey will have his work cut out cause
He doesn't have a Josh Allen to make his role easier
Dorsey will actually have to out scheme the other DCs across
The field. But at the same time he can't overload DWs
Head with complex reads and progressions .
Watson just isn't that kind of QB.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Certainly welcome to your opinion.

I don't think the Browns coaching staff feels that way.

They are building the offense around him. We will not be an offense like we were. The standard concept will be a form of at least three pass options.

We will use more shotgun and motion taking advantage of moving the pocket which is a strength of DW.

We will be a running back by committee ground game. IMO.

Legend
Legend
Give a young man who lacks character $230 million guaranteed is likely to produce more of the same we've already seen from him... Great one week, not so great the next week and then injury.

I know that the Browns front office and HC don't agree with that thinking and I look forward to being proven wrong, but I have my doubts.

I want to be wrong by the way. I just don't think I am.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
OP Online
Legend
We will find out.

Your option to look at the glass half empty or half full.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I hope DW plays WELL ENOUGH for us not only for the good of the whole team but for the sake of putting this debate behind us. 3 more years of will he or won't he will be too much, way too much!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bugs
If the expectation is Watson needs to play better, I wanted to know what Watson needs to do.

He needs to play commensurate to what he is being paid. If not the team isn't getting a fair return on that huge investment. That's how a business is ran. If you don't get results that are commensurate with the investment that you made that is a failed investment. Being simply above average and consistent alone is not a good return on the investment.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I am not sure how one can measure whether he meets that expectation.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Watsons first two seasons were marred by a suspension and one by injury. One was expected, one not.

At this point one can't draw any conclusions. Let's see what happens this year. We can't say much about the last 2 seasons and project them forward. We need to see what happens this year before we can start to evaluate if the guy is meeting team expectations.

I want to note it is team expectations, not the expectations of you or I.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P

If you pay for a Maserati and end up with a Ford Bronco it won't take you long to know the difference.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

If you pay for a Maserati and end up with a Ford Bronco it won't take you long to know the difference.

Better plan for a lot of shop time for either one. Neither is even average as far as reliability. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
IIRC the Maserati engine has Chrysler parts!

L
Legend
Legend
L
I drive mine around 185

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I drive mine around 185

Do you mean I 85?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I drive my Corolla about 65-70! naughtydevil

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I drive mine around 185

Do you mean I 85?

Nope. Life's just been good to him so far ...... wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1 member likes this: lampdogg
Legend
Legend
I drive mine around 185

Good for you. I lost my license, now I don't drive.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: lampdogg
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Here is a thought to ponder.

Does anyone remember the "Greatest Show on Turf"?

I lived in St. Louis at the time. They hired OC Mike Martz, signed QB Trent Green, drafted Torry Holt, and traded for Marshall Faulk. Trent Green suffered a season-ending injury during the last preseason game. Afterward, they signed Kurt Warner away from an Iowa grocery store! There were three other receivers Isaac Bruce, Ricky Proehl, and Az-Zahir Hakim.

Mike Martz was a disciple of the "Air Coryell" style offense. Mike constructed an offense that was very close to unstoppable. Warner, Bruce, and Holt would run routes based on what the defensive backs did. Running back Marshall Faulk was allowed to do just about anything out of the backfield since defenses were attempting to contain Bruce and Holt. If that was not enough, Martz had pass catcher Proehl (basically used as a TE) and speed receiver Hakim. The plays were designed around deception and decoys. At the snap of the ball, Warner located the open area of the field and threw to the receiver. To keep the defense honest, they hand or pass the ball to Faulk. The Rams also had one of the best offensive lines.

It has been 24 years and no one has ever duplicated this offense. Warner never had the same success he had outside of the years 1999-2001. He had some success in Arizona going to the Super Bowl, but it was nothing like what he had with the Rams.

I don't know if the Browns will run an "Air Coryell" style offense, but there are a lot of similarities. Dorsey is a very cerebral offense-minded coordinator much like Martz. Cooper and Jeudy have similar characteristics as Bruce and Holt minus the speed. Njoku is similar to Proehl. Moore/Thrash can match Hakim as the go-route receiver. Nick Chubb is as effective as Faulk. Watson is as capable of reading defenses as Warner.

Everyone on the Rams had a unique skill set. When combined, they were pretty close to unstoppable. If their defense was stronger, the Rams could have won two or three Super Bowls.

I'm curious if the Browns can do something similar with their offense. Looking back the Rams were so lucky everything fell into place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What can we expect from DW?

Link Copied to Clipboard