Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
I agree with you.

Tying the lakefront to the city and the rock n roll HOF is appealing aesthetically way more than Brook Park.

Building a dome on the lakefront can be done however, the cost to do it would be more than Brook Park because of the foundation work needed.

I think they should still look at doing it. In the long run it would be better for all parties involved.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I grew up taking the Rapid Transit red line from the Puritas station to go downtown with my dad when I was little to watch Indians, Browns and Cavs games. I also took it to go downtown to high school before we moved out to Westlake and I got a driver's license and a car.

There was nothing at the Puritas station. It let out basically in a neighborhood at the end of Valley View avenue. The other side of the station may have had a bunch of manufacturing and warehouse shops. My mom and I used to wait there together in the car for my dad to get off from his business in the Terminal Tower.

If the stadium moves to Brookpark, that is one stop in the other direction, between Puritas and the airport. I imagine both areas could build up quite immensely.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
from the article it appears the weight of a dome being built on a former landfill may also be a big part of the problem.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I cannot say because I don't the full picture.

However, I am sure there would be a way. Either but removal of land fill to reach bedrock or engineering a stable pad for the structure.

Of course it becomes a money issue and it may be cost prohibitive.

I just found this. It changes the whole picture:

But we have two great options. We're going to pursue them both.” Cabot noted Jimmy “made it clear that a domed stadium is not an option anywhere downtown,” including the current site, in part because it is "in the flight path" of Burke Lakefront Airport.Mar 26, 2024

Last edited by bonefish; 05/10/24 11:57 AM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would have to see how the entire statement was worded.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Is it? Is it going to be fun??

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It’s only fun if we win

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
It’s only fun if we win

Fun might not be the right word. It can be exciting even if we don't win.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

Colour me skeptical - and full of a feeling that this is marketing BS and either hype or off season manufactured noise to fill the void.

Watson was going to be a perfect fit for Stefanski's offense initially. Stefanski created all this separation for the receivers and our QB couldn't find them - DW was a top 5 QB and he was going to dominate. That was the media story when we signed him ...

Then he didn't.

Joe Flacco, to my knowledge, wasn't signed because he knew the offense, or knew new schemes to bring 'excitement'. But without knowing the scheme in depth or the playbook in depth, Joe stepped in and performed admirably well - because he executed at a competant level. Period. So unless DW performs at the peak of the ability he has shown as a Brown in maybe 2 games thus far, it matters not what the scheme is or how well DW knows it. Because if he plays like the other 90% of the time he's been in CLE in will be bad or average ... then chances are we will need the defense to dominate and have 3 game stretches holding the opposition to 2 points a game to have a winning record.

Everyone is hoping DW 'is back' based on a couple of great performances amid mostly below average games. Let's see what happens.If he's executing, then we can talk about the offensive scheme and if it's maximises DW's and the whole offenses potential.

Last edited by mgh888; 05/12/24 05:02 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Just win football games.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Is it? Is it going to be fun??

I feel like every Browns offense was "supposed to be fun" according to off-season reporting.

I did find the part about Stefanski potentially letting Dorsey call plays interesting. It makes sense.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Browns sign 5th quarterback at conclusion of rookie minicamp

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...ck-at-conclusion-of-rookie-minicamp.html

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, it's officially hype season. We hear the same thing every year. At least last year fans had a reason to be excited for a while. Hopefully they can build on that.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

He didn’t last long

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I am assuming Chris Polian's Father is Bill Polian.

On the NFL Network on Sirius radio, Bill constantly ragged on Cleveland's front office for being analytical-driven.

I don't think Bill is a reporter/analyst any longer, but if he is, I wonder if he still throws shade on Cleveland!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bugs
I am assuming Chris Polian's Father is Bill Polian.

On the NFL Network on Sirius radio, Bill constantly ragged on Cleveland's front office for being analytical-driven.

I don't think Bill is a reporter/analyst any longer, but if he is, I wonder if he still throws shade on Cleveland!

I don't know. Bill was old school. Nothing wrong with that, but he probably buys in to some degree at this point.

It doesn't really matter what he thinks. We hired Chris, who has a working relationship with Berry. I think Chris, being younger feels that analytics has a place in the evaluation process. If not, I doubt we would hire him.

Think about it, Berry embraces analytics. I doubt he would go out to hire a thorn in the side who disagreed with every move. I doubt he would hire Mac to the front office.

Sorry Mac, not picking on you here, just a comparison because you have on multiple occasions talked about being against analytics.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

I don't know if he constantly ragged on the FO, but he is known for trying to call out the Browns' FO at the time for taking on the Brock Osweiler contract for one year to get Houston's second rounder that led to Nick Chubb. It was a brilliant move to get that draft capital just to have a contract on the books for one season. Bill looked absolutely stupid at the time and nothing has changed since his comments.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: GMdawg, Milk Man
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Think about it, Berry embraces analytics. I doubt he would go out to hire a thorn in the side who disagreed with every move. I doubt he would hire Mac to the front office.

Sorry Mac, not picking on you here, just a comparison because you have on multiple occasions talked about being against analytics.

Referencing a recent question I asked concerning how the Browns front office wasted their 2022, 4th round pick on Perrion Winfrey...I simply asked how the Browns front office could miss so badly on their assessment of Winfrey. Some just passed if off as oh, well, it's just something that happens...

Looking at the priorities the Browns front office emphasizes when judging draft talent...it might be that those in charge of making such draft decisions put too much emphasize on "numbers", such as Winfrey's 4.89 - 40 times and not putting enough emphasis Winfrey's IQ.

Judging football talent should focus on the entire individual...on and off the football field.

I do wonder how many of the Browns draft misses can be traced back to a front office that over-emphasis their analytic numbers.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
What about that LB we drafted some time ago, I believe his name was Pharms, that had been in some trouble and it wasn’t discovered until after we drafted him. We cut him immediately. The thing was we had someone on our payroll that was supposed to research the players backgrounds that was or had been in law enforcement and we still drafted him. Big mistake.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

I don't know if he constantly ragged on the FO, but he is known for trying to call out the Browns' FO at the time for taking on the Brock Osweiler contract for one year to get Houston's second rounder that led to Nick Chubb. It was a brilliant move to get that draft capital just to have a contract on the books for one season. Bill looked absolutely stupid at the time and nothing has changed since his comments.

Agree. After listening to him on the radio, I wonder how he did so well with the Colts.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Peen, I like the hire. I agree Berry would not hire Chirs if he did not support analytics.

I bet Chris and his Dad have fun discussions!! LOL!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bugs
Peen, I like the hire. I agree Berry would not hire Chirs if he did not support analytics.

I bet Chris and his Dad have fun discussions!! LOL!

One thing about great leaders is they are willing to listen to and consider all aspects of a situation. They don't surround themselves with nothing but yes men. Analytics is a wonderful tool. But it's not the only tool in the toolbox. I'm sure that he probably doesn't object to analytics but I'm also not so sure he doesn't think that there's more to it than that. Balance is something that as a whole people tend to reject more and more these days. I'm hoping the FO doesn't fall into that category.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It seems we have some picking folks what need to have a Kool-Aid bypass operation. We have bought some hype over production individuals that failed to pan out. Step away from the Kool-Aid and do due diligence better. The fails must be able to be backtracked to someone easily and addressed. Somebody didn't know their job, didn't do it well enough, or should be replaced. Everybody makes mistakes, misses some, but we seem to be repeating them more often than learning from them. I would say more in draft evals. JMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
[quote=bugs]We hired Chris, who has a working relationship with Berry. I think Chris, being younger feels that analytics has a place in the evaluation process. If not, I doubt we would hire him.

Think about it, Berry embraces analytics. I doubt he would go out to hire a thorn in the side who disagreed with every move.

Did Berry ever overlap with Dorsey? If so, he would've had a front-row seat of anti-analytics.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Of all our #1 picks since "99 you can make an argument that only 4 lived up to their 1st round status. Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Myles and Denzel Ward. That's pathetic and in 3 0f those years we had multiple 1st round picks. David Njoku is just now coming into his own so an argument can be made for him.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 05/21/24 05:10 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Of all our #1 picks since "99 you can make an argument that only 4 lived up to their 1st round status. Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Myles and Denzel Ward. That's pathetic and in 3 0f those years we had multiple 1st round picks. David Njoku is just now coming into his own so an argument can be made for him.

Baker Mayfield is starting to prove he was worth a 1st.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Good news is, we haven’t missed on any first-rounder over the past three drafts!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
One thing about great leaders is they are willing to listen to and consider all aspects of a situation. They don't surround themselves with nothing but yes men. Analytics is a wonderful tool. But it's not the only tool in the toolbox.

and with four short sentence's you just explained Clevelands Philosophy.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
2 members like this: PitDAWG, Ballpeen
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
[quote=bugs]We hired Chris, who has a working relationship with Berry. I think Chris, being younger feels that analytics has a place in the evaluation process. If not, I doubt we would hire him.

Think about it, Berry embraces analytics. I doubt he would go out to hire a thorn in the side who disagreed with every move.

Did Berry ever overlap with Dorsey? If so, he would've had a front-row seat of anti-analytics.

Yes, they did. Then Berry left for Philly and then came back after Dorsey was fired. I'm sure Berry saw his fair share of anti-analytics as well as a myriad of other stupid things while he was here with Dorsey.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I liked Dorsey except for his ego not allowing him to coexist without all the decision-power. Let me be clear, I'm more than happy with Berry and I don't think we would have even the level of success we're having now if Dorsey were still here as the cohesiveness of our FO is something we were missing for a VERY long time and I think is a big part of building and sustaining a strong org. IMO, that probably wasn't going to happen with Dorsey in the building. It's a bummer, because Dorsey could pick 'em (both draft and FA).

IMO, his drafts have held up with a little hindsight. Looking back after a couple years, his only big whiff was Greedy (was with Philly in 2023 and is currently a FA). He was credited with whiffing on Baker and Corbett, but those two aren't looking so bad right now (though Corbett may have come down with a bad case of the injury bug). He also got Taki. His performance for us on the FA market was exceptional.

Dorsey had to go, but I don't think he's deserving of the same level of derision as many of our other past regimes.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by GMdawg
One thing about great leaders is they are willing to listen to and consider all aspects of a situation. They don't surround themselves with nothing but yes men. Analytics is a wonderful tool. But it's not the only tool in the toolbox.

and with four short sentence's you just explained Clevelands Philosophy.

That's certainly what I had hoped for and felt was the case.

#gmstrong
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard