Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Rishuz #2067819 05/04/24 11:04 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's nice to hear from people who actually have the experience of owning them. Most of what we hear is people who have never driven or own one complaining about them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2067820 05/04/24 11:06 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
It's nice to hear from people who actually have the experience of owning them. Most of what we hear is people who have never driven or own one complaining about them.

Exactly. Drives me nuts.

FATE #2067821 05/04/24 11:10 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Fate, I will add that Tesla gave everyone free FSD for a month recently and that’s when I tried it. I did not subscribe after the trial ended and it is not the reason I enjoy the car. However, the tech is really cool and only going to improve. I was actually blown away by how good it was, which was the whole point on why it was given away for free for the trial. They had recently made a ton of improvements and wanted people to subscribe.

Rishuz #2067827 05/04/24 11:48 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Rishuz
You don’t have to keep your hands on the wheel. You just need to apply slight pressure when prompted. Sometimes that’s several minutes in between prompting.

You need to 1) pay attention and 2) apply slight pressure when prompted. The rest of the time you can be eating a sandwich with two hands.

It’s the same for auto steer.

That’s actually not the letter of the law. You’re supposed to keep your hands on the wheel and apply slight “turning pressure” when prompted basically as an “audit” that your hands are on the wheel.

You’re supposed to keep both hands on the wheel and attentive to take over at any time.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Rishuz #2067828 05/04/24 11:49 AM
Legend
Legend

Exactly. Drives me nuts.

Drives me nuts that anyone who raises any counter-points is "complaining", or is against them, or is against "saving the environment", or is "just railing". I don't think you need to own one to discuss facts about them, whether that's battery lifespan or how fast you burn tires. I know it sounds counterintuitive but many times the opposite is true... If stats show that they burn tires twice as fast, across the experience of a million EVs, then how would one person's singular experience even matter? j/s And not picking on you Rish, you just gave me the perfect jump point.

EVs are great, can't wait to own one, can't wait til most of the planet does, however, I won't be here to see that and probably shouldn't be. This pie-in-the-sky "all electric by 2035" or such dumb slogans are some of the dumbest, if not careless statements I've heard in my lifetime. There are at least ten good reasons why this should be a 50 year proposition. Talking about them doesn't mean one has some sadistic fantasy of the Earth going up in a big ball of fire.

There. Disclaimer #38 of how I really like EVs but don't think we should all be driving them by next Tuesday. wink

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Rishuz #2067829 05/04/24 11:53 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Fate, I will add that Tesla gave everyone free FSD for a month recently and that’s when I tried it. I did not subscribe after the trial ended and it is not the reason I enjoy the car. However, the tech is really cool and only going to improve. I was actually blown away by how good it was, which was the whole point on why it was given away for free for the trial. They had recently made a ton of improvements and wanted people to subscribe.

I bought the whole thing with the purchase of the car. It has definitely improved. Am I “blown away”? No. But perhaps it a because I’m jaded having had it now for 2.5 years.

That being said, it’s pretty cool and has come forward a lot. Just had to jump over that big barrier. I think other companies are more well versed at manufacturing and after-market gains on parts and whatnot, mostly due to the fact they’ve been in the automotive market longer.

Musk has the tech element for sure. That’s always been his edge over the “oldies.” He has to keep pushing that part further though. I worry his purchase of Twitter is dragging him down somewhat on that front. Now that TSLA has taken a hit, I hope it becomes more of a priority again for him.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
In almost a year of ownership I have never done that. And you don’t have to either.

You can still be attentive without having your hands on the wheel and able to take over when needed.

Rishuz #2067831 05/04/24 11:56 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I’m in over 2.5 years. I’m just telling you what the rules are, bro. Take it for what it’s worth.

My other buddy is in for 4+ years now. He does the 1 lb weight approach which really pushes the envelope.

If there’s an accident while in FSD, that cabin video footage could really come into play.

#gmstrong
FATE #2067832 05/04/24 12:06 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
If people are concerned about range or tires, that’s reasonable to me. But I read a lot of comments about how it’s not a good product, and it couldn’t be further from the truth. And a lot of people make these comments who have never driven or experienced one.

Ultimately at the end of the day I think people should drive what they want and what makes them happy. I’m a car guy. I’ve owned dozens, all kinds…expensive, cheap, different transmissions, suvs, sedans…and over a year ago you wouldn’t have been able to convince me to consider or buy an electric. Thankfully gas prices out west begrudgingly led me to consider one, and now I don’t know if I would ever consider an ICE car again.

I also hate going to the gas station. The only way to get discounted gas (and discount is a relative term here) on the west coast is to go to Costco and those lines are typically 10+ cars deep. I didn’t realize how much I hated going to the gas station until I didn’t have to.

FATE #2067833 05/04/24 12:07 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FATE
If stats show that they burn tires twice as fast, across the experience of a million EVs, then how would one person's singular experience even matter?

But the stats don't show that. And the way it's delivered by the detractors leaves it very open ended most of the time. They make an issue sound much worse than stats would indicate. And I suppose if you have an EV owner who has kept track of how much they saved on fuel verses the cost of tire wear, that would be far more relative than open ended statements that did not have a cost breakdown or even take that perspective into consideration.

But we do live in an era where first hand experience is often times rebuffed.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Rishuz #2067838 05/04/24 01:10 PM
Legend
Legend
I've spent a fortune on gas over the past four years of living in two places. Thankfully, that's about over. Which finally puts me in a place where I can drive an EV. I love cars as well, but never purchase new cars and don't finance. I would love to drive a new Tesla but don't see myself writing a check for 70k in the foreseeable future.

I'm early in the process of seeing where pricing intersects with value and longevity. With EVs, there's a new factor -- the "ticking time bomb". I know people don't like me calling it that, but I've been buying and driving cars for over 35 years, this will be the first time I'm looking at a fairly solid expiration date. It's completely different than ICE. There are many things I can do to an ICE vehicle to get the most life out of it. Gave my 03 Vibe GT to my father-in-law a few years ago. Still runs like a ____ ape lol. 260,000 miles... tires, brakes, a new clutch at 200,000, and religious oil changes.

EV batteries? I guess there are a few "helpful tips" but nothing with solid evidence of drastically increasing shelf life. So, looking at the market, I have to consider where the price drops enough (age and mileage) to make it a worthwhile investment and then either face a huge expenditure (replacing battery) or a very large reduction in trade in value. It will probably be another year or two until there is enough inventory for me to find a sweet spot.

Quick questions. Looking at Teslas I see terms like: long range, mid range, standard range plus... is that directly related to the type of battery? Is battery size and capacity an option when buying new?

Rishuz #2067839 05/04/24 01:12 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I will echo you on the gas station. It’s very nice having a 50 amp in the garage and coming out to a car that has a “full tank” every morning. That has been a huge boost to owning a Tesla.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2067840 05/04/24 01:14 PM
Legend
Legend
If stats show that they burn tires twice as fast, across the experience of a million EVs, then how would one person's singular experience even matter?

But the stats don't show that. And the way it's delivered by the detractors leaves it very open ended most of the time. They make an issue sound much worse than stats would indicate. And I suppose if you have an EV owner who has kept track of how much they saved on fuel verses the cost of tire wear, that would be far more relative than open ended statements that did not have a cost breakdown or even take that perspective into consideration.

But we do live in an era where first hand experience is often times rebuffed.

If there are ever any men masochistic enough to want their AI sex doll to be exactly like their first wife, they should have you write the algorithm. poke

FATE #2067841 05/04/24 01:15 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You have the range options. Oddly enough, I’m not sure how that correlates to size but I imagine long range are bigger. If you, or anyone, ever decides to go buy a Tesla, make sure you go with long range. I think the Model 3 is the only option where you had the choice between standard and long range. It came standard with the Y when I purchased.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
FATE #2067842 05/04/24 01:19 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
If there are ever any men masochistic enough to want their AI sex doll to be exactly like their first wife, they should have you write the algorithm. poke

The usual white noise retort with zero substance. I see you have no value for an actual EV owner who has done a cost study of fuel savings over tire wear and this is all you have. Sad really.

Did I mention to you that it's Mental Health Awareness Month?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by dawglover05
I will echo you on the gas station. It’s very nice having a 50 amp in the garage and coming out to a car that has a “full tank” every morning. That has been a huge boost to owning a Tesla.

I'm reading that you shouldn't charge every night and shouldn't charge to 100... is that just gurglefitz and whatnot?

FATE #2067848 05/04/24 03:43 PM
Legend
Legend
I’m reading you shouldn’t overfill your gas tank as well. More gurglefitz.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
FATE #2067849 05/04/24 03:56 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
You can charge every night no matter how low you are but depending on the model, they don’t want you to charge to more than 80% or 90% unless you are going on a trip, then charge to 100%. It’s the same reason iPhones don’t want you to charge to 100% every night. 80% or 90% is plenty and then some for daily driving.

I’m not sure I share your other concern about “the ticking time bomb”. I think similar to a gas car, you can get a couple hundred thousand miles on an EV if you treat it well. You’ll get some battery degradation but they’ve got 10 year studies now that show battery degradation can be minimized if you follow the guidelines on how to take care of the car and battery. Even so, let’s say in 150k miles you need a new battery, hopefully they’ve come down enough in cost that it would be comparable to replacing an engine or transmission. Just like you can keep doing things to keep the ICE car running, you should be able to do the same with an EV.

Another nice thing about teslas specifically is there is no functionality or software difference between a 5 year old car and a new one. Everyone gets over the air updates so no reason to buy something newer because it has more software bells and whistles.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
I’m reading you shouldn’t overfill your gas tank as well. More gurglefitz.

Read the post after yours. Maybe you'll understand why I asked. Probably not, but anything's possible.

Rishuz #2067852 05/04/24 04:56 PM
Legend
Legend
You can charge every night no matter how low you are but depending on the model, they don’t want you to charge to more than 80% or 90% unless you are going on a trip, then charge to 100%. It’s the same reason iPhones don’t want you to charge to 100% every night. 80% or 90% is plenty and then some for daily driving.

I’m not sure I share your other concern about “the ticking time bomb”. I think similar to a gas car, you can get a couple hundred thousand miles on an EV if you treat it well. You’ll get some battery degradation but they’ve got 10 year studies now that show battery degradation can be minimized if you follow the guidelines on how to take care of the car and battery. Even so, let’s say in 150k miles you need a new battery, hopefully they’ve come down enough in cost that it would be comparable to replacing an engine or transmission. Just like you can keep doing things to keep the ICE car running, you should be able to do the same with an EV.

Another nice thing about teslas specifically is there is no functionality or software difference between a 5 year old car and a new one. Everyone gets over the air updates so no reason to buy something newer because it has more software bells and whistles.

Thanks! I found a couple cool sites after digging in a little today. I'm going to go ahead and retire the ticking time bomb moniker. I think I was a little too caught up in the stated warranties rather than some of the practical studies like you mentioned. I think you'd have to develop some good habits as far as battery maintenance, but it seems like just getting used to something new. I'm also seeing some decent pricing on used with low mileage.

More dumb questions...

Home charger is around 500? Are you paying an electrician another 500? Can I program the car to charge to only 80%?

EDIT: This site was very informative...

Top 10 Tips to Maximize EV Battery Life

Last edited by FATE; 05/04/24 04:58 PM. Reason: added link

FATE #2067854 05/04/24 05:34 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Yes, I spent about $500 on the charger and $550 on the install. Install can be more expensive depending on age of the house, breaker box situation, etc. It’s not a terrible idea to get a quote on that before purchasing the car just in case.

Rishuz #2067857 05/04/24 08:52 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
And yes you set the car to what level you want to charge it to.

FATE #2067859 05/04/24 09:29 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I'm reading that you shouldn't charge every night and shouldn't charge to 100... is that just gurglefitz and whatnot?

Haha. No you can charge every night. They just recommend that you cap at 80% charge which you can do via the app. Super easy. It used to recommend a 90% cap but they dropped it. 80% is still more than enough to get me where I need to be.

If you’re getting ready to take a massive road trip, you can go full hundo right before hand.

#gmstrong
FATE #2067860 05/04/24 09:33 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I had a 40 Amp installed at my last house by a guy that Oober referred to me (thanks again Oobs). He was very reasonable. More reasonable than my builder actually, although my new outlet at my new house is 50 Amps.

Funny story about the install at my last house: I got talking to the guy and he was like “How do you know Oober?” And I’m like “Actually I’ve never met him. Just know him from a Browns message board.” He kinda smiled and gently laughed, but his eyes said “I hope this guy isn’t Buffalo Bill.” Haha.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That is funny. Oober seems more like the shoot you in broad daylight type.

Found this:
Essentially, if you install a home EV charging station, the tax credit is 30% of the cost of hardware and installation, up to $1,000. Also, beginning last year the EV charger tax credit for business and home installations applies to other EV charger equipment like bidirectional (i.e., two-way) chargers.

Also, I thought you have a recently built home, as far as wiring, shouldn't that have been EV ready?

https://blinkcharging.com/blog/new-building-code-standards-will-require-wiring-for-evse

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ev-charging-us-building-codes/

FATE #2067863 05/04/24 10:44 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah it was EV ready when it was built, but the option for the 50 Amp in the garage was extra when we were making our floor plan selections with the builder.

Oddly enough, I’m the third house in a row of Tesla owners on my new street. We all had the outlets installed. It was something that had to be selected though when you finalize your floor plan. Anyone who didn’t choose that will have to get it done post-build.

Last edited by dawglover05; 05/04/24 10:45 PM.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oddly enough, I’m the third house in a row of Tesla owners on my new street.

So it is true all you bougie types stick together. naughtydevil

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2067876 05/05/24 10:44 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It’s boughetto types actually wink

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

That's pretty good.

#gmstrong
Rishuz #2068205 05/10/24 12:13 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think EV's are great right now so long as you have the right set of circumstances (daily mileage and propensity to road trip, and access to charging at your home).

More traditional automakers are signing on to Tesla's charging network. There was a large group that all announced late last year.

Last edited by oobernoober; 05/10/24 12:19 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
FATE #2068207 05/10/24 12:18 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O

And don't you forget it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
2 members like this: dawglover05, MemphisBrownie
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by oobernoober

And don't you forget it.

Man, between you shoot-in-broad-daylight types and these creepy, rusted, broken down vans parading as ice cream trucks driving by my house as I type this, I'm beginning to wonder if moving to Ooberville was the right idea wink

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
You and Oober should work together in order to get your HOA board to keep those rusty vans parading as ice cream trucks out of the neighborhood. We only permit top shelf food trucks and organic ice cream vendors into ours. naughtydevil

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: dawglover05
PitDAWG #2068217 05/10/24 03:00 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He's in a different part of town from me. I'm pretty sure he's using his pull around these parts to make sure we only get the bad ice cream trucks while his neighborhood probably has door-to-door Graeter's delivered fresh daily.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, that sounds like something he would do.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I live so far back in my development that the HOA doesn't even bother with us. It's the wild west back where I'm at. Mailboxes don't match, people can have small sheds... PURE CHAOS!!!

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: dawglover05
Legend
Legend
rofl I know right. Many people here are actually parking their RVs beside their own home on their own property. It’s crazy. willynilly

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
GMdawg #2068576 05/19/24 01:39 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/china-develops-revolutionary-electric-car-113440354.html
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/chinese-scientists-found-way-batteries-165858822.html

The Chinese are light years ahead of us in EV tech. Too bad libtard run shools have dumbed down their equity based curriculum so much that America's future is full of morons who have no ability to compete in the world.

No Craps Given
EveDawg #2068587 05/19/24 10:39 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
From the sounds of things those schools were turning out very similar students when you were going to school.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2068599 05/19/24 02:06 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
No, but I'm sure its responsible for your underachieving life.

No Craps Given
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Electric cars

Link Copied to Clipboard