Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
FATE #2064355 03/29/24 01:21 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I won't claim people don't go too far on certain things. But in his press conferences he certainly wasn't promoting that everyone go out and get the vaccine. He did diminish and downplay the severity of the virus and that certainly was not helpful in fighting the spread. That's a pretty accurate description of what was happening at least early on.

There are certainly enough concrete things he has said and done to cause actual outrage. Beyond attempting to overturn the election he knows every time he makes his false claims about judges and prosecutors he is putting an actual target on their backs. that's something he fully understands and makes the choice to put them in danger. I could go on but I think you are all too aware of what I'm saying.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Of course outrage from the right is going after women’s reproductive rights, raising taxes on the middle class, lowering taxes for the very rich and making sure there isn’t equality for all.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Of course outrage from the right is going after women’s reproductive rights, raising taxes on the middle class, lowering taxes for the very rich and making sure there isn’t equality for all.

Could you rephrase this for clarity? I'm not sure what you are trying to say. What is outrage doing?

I don't seem to be able to figure out how whatever you're trying to say with that selection of concepts could relate to cognitive decline (except perhaps as an example.)

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Someone shared this with me the other day... Highlights some of the legislation Biden has passed. Its written by someone who agrees with the goals and spending... No doubt some will think otherwise. But no wonder MTG and others are throwing toya out of their prams that Biden manages to pass legislation and be a president without relying wholly on executive order or actions.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/08/joe-biden-presidency-progressives-donald-trump#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=17117923117039&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fcommentisfree%2F2023%2Fsep%2F08%2Fjoe-biden-presidency-progressives-donald-trump

Last edited by mgh888; 03/31/24 10:12 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cognitive Decline? Trump Melts Down After Reports on Freezing Episode
Hafiz Rashid
Mon, May 20, 2024 at 12:52 PM EDT·2 min read

Donald Trump wants everyone to know that he did not, in fact, freeze for more than 30 seconds during his speech at the National Rifle Association convention in Dallas on Saturday.

In a Truth Social post late Sunday night, the former president claimed that reports indicating that he went silent in the middle of his remarks were false, and that he actually paused because of a musical interlude in his speech, something that he claimed is part of most of his speeches.

“The reason they came up with this Disinformation is that Biden freezes all the time, can’t put two sentences together, and can rarely find his way off the stage without help. Donald Trump doesn’t freeze!” Trump posted.

Unfortunately for Trump, the alleged freezing was caught on video, and the former president appears to awkwardly stop, and then resume while the music is still playing.

The incident was the second fumble by Trump this weekend. On Friday, speaking at the Republican Party of Minnesota’s annual Lincoln Reagan Dinner (which he left his youngest son’s graduation celebrations immediately to attend), Trump’s podium almost fell down after he appeared to lean on it too hard, causing the former president to attack the event’s workers and drawing a mocking tweet from the Biden campaign.

Are these more examples of Trump’s cognitive decline? For the past few months, Trump has made incoherent claims, saying that there were “millions of people” who didn’t speak real languages arriving at the southern U.S. border and that he would stop banks from “debanking” Americans. He has mixed up former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, and described his plan for America’s missile defense system by going, “Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.… Boom. OK. Missile launch. Woosh. Boom.” None of this helps Trump’s argument that he can go toe-to-toe with President Biden when debate season begins.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cognitive-decline-trump-melts-down-165224307.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Bro- your link only works for the rest of us if we copy/paste it into our main search browsers. We can't just 'click & go.'

That's why I'm providing this link, up-front:
here is DTers' direct link

p.s. "throwing toys out of their prams"...
Nice touch.
Very nice.

Craft reckanize Craft.
Skill reckanize Skill.

UK & USA: two cultures, separated by a common language

thumbsup

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
E
Legend
Legend
E

Cognitive decline like this?

No Craps Given
P
Legend
Legend
P
And like confusing Nikki Haley with Nancy Pelosi like this.......

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by EveDawg

No, but he seems to be trying to close the gap.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
There is "overwhelming" evidence that Donald Trump is suffering from dementia, a leading psychiatrist has claimed, amid speculation about the state of the former president's mental health.

Dr. Lance Dodes, a supervising analyst emeritus of the Boston Psychoanalytic Society and Institute and retired Harvard Medical School professor, was among those recently quoted by Duty To Warn, which describes itself as an association of mental health professionals concerned about Trump.

"Unlike normal aging, which is characterized by forgetting names or words, Trump repeatedly shows something very different: confusion about reality," he wrote in a statement published on Friday, which referenced Trump's confusing Barack Obama with Joe Biden.

"If he were to become president he would have to be immediately removed from office via the 25th Amendment as dangerously unable to fulfill the responsibilities of office," Dodes, who is also a distinguished fellow of the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, added, citing the 1967 mechanism that allows for a president to be removed due to unfitness.

Donald Trump speaks to supporters on March 16, 2024, in Vandalia, Ohio. Several mental health professionals have claimed he is showing signs of dementia. SCOTT OLSON/GETTY IMAGES
In another statement released at the same time, New York psychologist Suzanne Lachmann said Trump, 77, would "seemingly forget how the sentence began and invent something in the middle" resulting in "an incomprehensible word salad"—a behavior she argued is observed "frequently in patients who have dementia."

Meanwhile, John Gartner, a psychologist and former professor at Johns Hopkins University Medical School, has defended Biden's forgetfulness as a natural sign of his age, but authored a petition that argues Trump is "showing unmistakable signs strongly suggesting dementia."

He wrote at the start of March that the former president showed "progressive deterioration in memory, thinking, ability to use language, behavior, and both gross and fine motor skills," adding that he felt "an ethical obligation to warn the public, and urge the media to cover this national emergency."
Jason Miller, a senior advisor to the Trump campaign, told Newsweek: "Joe Biden is clearly suffering from cognitive decline and couldn't answer the first five questions of a cognitive test or any other test for that matter.

"President Trump has aced this test twice and is willing to take a third test if Joe Biden sits in the same room and takes it at the same time. In fact, President Trump believes all presidents should take the test."

Did Donald Trump threaten "bloodbath" if he loses? Here's what happened
Joe Biden delivers 3-word blow to Donald Trump at DC roast
Biden's mental state bigger concern for Republicans than immigration
Republican suggests Joe Biden "incapacitated"
All three mental health professionals have previously been critical of the former president's mental state. Lachmann was among the proponents of Gartner's petition, while Dodes and Gartner were among the authors of a 2017 book The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump, which raised concerns about his mental health during his first term.

Other Trump critics have also questioned the former president's mental health. His niece, Mary Trump, has previously claimed that her uncle was cogent in his youth, but was now showing signs of "untreated psychiatric disorders."

The latest concerns come as Biden, Trump's likely presidential rival in November, has faced ongoing questions about his age and mental acuity over a number of public gaffes, which Republicans have used to imply Biden is unfit to continue as president for another term.

Already the oldest U.S. president in history, Biden would turn 82 weeks after election day; and if elected, he would be 86 by the end of his second term. But the president has brushed off queries about his physical and mental health, telling a news conference in February that his "memory is fine" and "I know what the hell I'm doing."

Both he and Trump have been given relatively clean bills of health by their respective physicians. In a November letter, Dr. Bruce Aronwald said Trump's "overall health is excellent" and "his cognitive exams were exceptional."

Trump has boasted about having "aced" cognitive tests on more than one occasion. While speaking to Fox News in January, Trump addressed his Republican rival Nikki Haley's suggestion that his age was affecting cognition by challenging her to compare cognitive tests.

"I think I'm a lot sharper than her," Trump said. "I would do this: I would sit down right now and take an aptitude test, and it would be my result against her result. And she's not gonna win. Not going to even come close to winning."

But as the election nears, it is likely an increasing number of critics of Trump and Biden will speak out against their assuming the presidency for a second time over their supposed cognitive issues.

Update 3/20/24, 10:22 a.m. ET: This article was updated with comment from Jason Miller.

Legend
Legend
That was truly a mistake and a mistatement by Biden. For sure. But at least Biden isn't trying to turn America into the Unified Reich.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by EveDawg

No, but he seems to be trying to close the gap.

Up until recently, I thought Trump had the definite advantage when it came to cognitive decline. I think he still is “with it” more than Biden, but not nearly as much as I originally thought. He’s really slipped over the past year or so. I don’t think he’s gaffed to the level Biden has, but he’s quickly approaching, like you said.

The debates could really go south. They should just double down and have Mitch McConnell moderate the debate as well. Why not at this point?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
If I were Biden's campaign, I would be fighting hard to limit the amount of debating Biden does. I do think his mental capacity has degraded WAY past the point of being effective in a televised debate, much less be able to handle the chaos of Trump in front of a mic. I don't see how Biden will be able to score points against Trump in a debate given how we know those will descend into a chaotic mess. I see it as much more likely that Biden gets tripped up and allows the other side to further lean into the argument of his mental decline.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober
If I were Biden's campaign, I would be fighting hard to limit the amount of debating Biden does. I do think his mental capacity has degraded WAY past the point of being effective in a televised debate, much less be able to handle the chaos of Trump in front of a mic. I don't see how Biden will be able to score points against Trump in a debate given how we know those will descend into a chaotic mess. I see it as much more likely that Biden gets tripped up and allows the other side to further lean into the argument of his mental decline.

I agree with this, however, it is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario for the Democrats. If they do, yes, I think it is highly likely Biden continues to show is rapid mental decline. But, if he doesn't debate, they are pretty much conceding the preconceived notion about this mental capacity from the jump from what we've all seen over the past few years.

I don't think it will be about limiting anything. I think the first go at a debate will paint the picture in one direction or another. The hope then for Democrats will be Trump does or says something that overshadows Biden's mental capacity.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think that's a fair assessment, but in line with what oober is saying, I also imagine that his team will still fight hard to limit it to one debate maximum, is my guess. The debate does have the potential to be very entertaining, in a depressing, watching a train wreck sort of way.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Biden and trump have already agreed to two debates...............

Biden and Trump, trading barbs, agree to 2 presidential debates, in June and September

https://apnews.com/article/2024-ele...n-trump-6b1d1dbb2ed61c7637041b23662d7da8

One rule is the microphones will be cut off after their allotted time expires.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ah, well okay then.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Trump won’t stop, even with a dead mic he’ll be spewing his hate.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's just that nobody will be able to hear him which will make him appear even more unhinged than usual.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Other mics will pick up his bs. He’ll still disrupt, disrespect, and be a total tool. His base will love it.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think that's how it will work. They don't use omnidirectional microphones.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Pretty sure he’ll walk out if he can’t be heard spewing his hate during Biden’s turn to debate the actual issues.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think he would be more likely to call it rigged, complain about how they infringed on his free speech and say it was controlled and a set up by the democrats. That seems to be the menu items his followers eat up most often.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Just to give you a little bit of the crazy rhetoric trump has already been pushing about the State of the Union speech as a platform for yet more crazy, debate related rhetoric. Here's what he pitched to conservative host Hugh Hewitt..........

“I think what happened is, you know, that white stuff that they happened to find, which happened to be cocaine in the White House, I don’t know, I think something’s going on there, because I watched this State of the Union, and he was all jacked up at the beginning. By the end, he was fading fast. There’s something going on there. I want to debate. And I think debates, with him, at least, should be drug-tested. I want a drug test.”

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow...cocaine-drug-tests-gets-weird-rcna146538

I'm not crazy about this source which is why I only posted trump's direct quite.

So yeah, according to trump, Biden is on cocaine and he wants a drug test before the debate.

notallthere rolleyes

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If Biden did cocaine, he'd be dead within the hour. I can't imagine the toll that must take on an octogenarian who is already fading. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on some sort of medication to keep him more "with it" but cocaine....I mean come on...

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My guess would be adderall

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
2 members like this: oobernoober, dawglover05
O
Legend
Legend
O
They are both old as dirt and not fit for the oval… but there is NO CHOICE other than Biden with Trump on the ballot. Boomers refuse to go away… they’ve allowed this country to go to hell in a hand basket so they could live beyond their true means and get lots of cheap chinese made trinkets and sparklies. Every generation since Gen X has had to pay a price for Boomer idiocy.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/22/24 05:51 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: dawglover05
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral

Could you rephrase this for clarity? I'm not sure what you are trying to say. What is outrage doing?

I don't seem to be able to figure out how whatever you're trying to say with that selection of concepts could relate to cognitive decline (except perhaps as an example.)

I think it was clear!

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
Bro- your link only works for the rest of us if we copy/paste it into our main search browsers. We can't just 'click & go.'

That's why I'm providing this link, up-front:
here is DTers' direct link

p.s. "throwing toys out of their prams"...
Nice touch.
Very nice.

Craft reckanize Craft.
Skill reckanize Skill.

UK & USA: two cultures, separated by a common language

thumbsup

Ahhh, thanks for the catch and foot notes!! Most of the time these days i seem to catch up here on my phone. Leads to a lot of typos and now link issues 🤣

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I am not a fan of generalizing. I don't care what group it is.

Race, religion, country, weight, height, eye color. Gen X and baby Boomers?

Please. How about those who were from WWII? So their kids the Baby Boomers are the problem?

Why because trump and Biden are old? Generations do not define a thing except maybe their Art, Music and technology.

When you live does not make up who you are.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Biden slightly predated the Boomer generation and Trump was at the vanguard of it.

I generally tend to agree with you that we shouldn't use immutable characteristics to stereotype. I've been fighting that on the millennial front for a long time. What I think he's doing here, though, is discussing the generation as a whole. A lot of the massive wealth of the U.S. got "parked" with the boomer generation. Their parents lived through the depression and were so fiscally conservative as a whole that they left a lot of wealth to that generation (again on a wholistic level, not necessarily individual). They worked hard to make the country a hell of a lot better. I don't think anyone really disputes that. Lots of wealth left to the boomer generation, as a whole. The first generation to be born into "America, the Super Power."

Problem is when the boomers officially started taking the reins, we went from becoming the world's largest creditor to the world's largest debtor. So, the dynamic went from 1. Inheriting a lot of money to 2. Also leveraging ourselves to high heaven to be able to spend even more. Having cake and eating it, too. The future generations would be the ones to pay the tab. That's why X, Y and Z are all collectively angry, like what OCD pointed out.

Oddly enough, my wife's side of the family fits that generalization, whereas my family does not. Her grandfather was an island-hopper in the Pacific for MacArthur. Got a great paying job after WW2 with Texaco. Didn't spend a dime on himself - and neither did his wife - and they left it all to my father-in-law. My in-laws spent most of their lives spending way beyond their means, every now and then getting "relief" from my wife's grandma (WW2 vet ended up passing away in 1983). In-laws took out loans in my wife's and her siblings' names, forcing them to go to pre-designated colleges and then medical school. They weren't really given a choice and they also had to have the debt burden. Wife and I worked hard to get completely out of debt except for our mortgage and we're doing great now. Also saved up so our kids won't have to pay for college (if they choose to go) and go through the same hell we both went through. In-laws basically live on a cruise ship in retirement. I think that's kind of a nutshell story for the resentful dynamic.

Again, I hesitate to bring up that notion because it causes painting with a broad brush and applying that to each individual, which anyone intelligent should know isn't nearly always the case. On a macro level, though, you can definitely sense the friction.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Individual cases do not define the whole.

I was born in 1947. I made my life. I am responsible for my success and failures. My parents and their parents were born in different circumstances.

I did not inherit wealth. I was taught to depend upon myself. You make the bed you lie in.

The world is a big place comprised of many cultures. You are a product of your genetic make-up and your environment.

1 member likes this: PerfectSpiral
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I think he would be more likely to call it rigged, complain about how they infringed on his free speech and say it was controlled and a set up by the democrats. That seems to be the menu items his followers eat up most often.

Didn’t they both agree to the terms of the debates? Kinda hard to call it rigged. But that’s trump, everything’s rigged, because he always takes an L.

– Jackie Robinson
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That doesn't really conflict with what I was saying. However, the "environment" you mentioned does have something to do with it on the macro level.

Like I mentioned in my post, my family is outside the generalization as well. I'm the youngest of six kids in a family of eight total that grew up in a three bedroom house in the actual city of Cleveland. I'm self-made as well and a millennial, and I've had to spend a lot more time than I wish I needed to having to defend myself from the stereotype of a millennial, so I get it. There's a differentiation between viewing things from a macro and a micro level.

Last edited by dawglover05; 05/23/24 10:13 AM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I keep forgetting that this thread title is not about me. laugh

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Which could be a sign of cognitive decline wink laugh

#gmstrong
2 members like this: GMdawg, oobernoober
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Harry Segal is a senior lecturer in the Psychology Department at Cornell University and in the Psychiatry Department at Weill Cornell Medicine. His research focus includes the study of personality disorders, future life anticipation and young adult development.

Harry Segal
Senior Lecturer

“In the 2024 election, both party candidates have been accused by the other of having psychological deficits. This weaponizing of clinical concepts is no doubt confusing to voters and journalists. A careful consideration of these claims can demystify their use as ‘opposition research.’

“Objectively, Donald Trump has a documented history of lying that is so marked as to be considered 'pathological.' Politicians often say untrue things, but the frequency of Trump’s lying is so extreme as to meet criteria for sociopathic behavior, since he tells falsehoods across all life domains, from his personal relationships to business dealings and finally to politics. Recently, several clinicians have noted the ways he has begun to mistake words, lose his train of thought, confuse Biden with Obama, particularly during long rallies held in the evening. There are examples of phonemic paraphasia – swapping parts of words for others that sound similar; these are signs of early dementia, even though they are intermittent.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by bonefish
Harry Segal is a senior lecturer in the Psychology Department at Cornell University and in the Psychiatry Department at Weill Cornell Medicine. His research focus includes the study of personality disorders, future life anticipation and young adult development.

Harry Segal
Senior Lecturer

“In the 2024 election, both party candidates have been accused by the other of having psychological deficits. This weaponizing of clinical concepts is no doubt confusing to voters and journalists. A careful consideration of these claims can demystify their use as ‘opposition research.’

“Objectively, Donald Trump has a documented history of lying that is so marked as to be considered 'pathological.' Politicians often say untrue things, but the frequency of Trump’s lying is so extreme as to meet criteria for sociopathic behavior, since he tells falsehoods across all life domains, from his personal relationships to business dealings and finally to politics. Recently, several clinicians have noted the ways he has begun to mistake words, lose his train of thought, confuse Biden with Obama, particularly during long rallies held in the evening. There are examples of phonemic paraphasia – swapping parts of words for others that sound similar; these are signs of early dementia, even though they are intermittent.

he was talking about Trump? Not Biden? You sure?

P
Legend
Legend
P
For anyone paying attention, yes. At first I wondered too until they got to the pathological liar portion.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Pathological liar: Like about his wife being killed by a drunk driver? Like his son being killed in Iraq? Like cornpop?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus cognitive decline

Link Copied to Clipboard