Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2141819 08/25/26 09:39 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
The reality IMO is that Browns fans are not excited at all to see DW or SS.

At this point all eyes are on the draft class.

Will there be a savior there? Will we draft a great prospect and he will come to a team ready to go with everything he needs to succeed?

Trevor Lawrence, Justin Herbert, Jayden Daniels, Bryce Young, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, CJ Stroud, Daniel Jones, Sam Darnold, Cam Ward, Jared Goff, Deshaun Watson.

All of them were supposed to be saviors. Only Sam Darnold has won a Super Bowl.

A bunch of those quarterbacks are damn good. Some even MVP's.

I would trade the first pick in the draft for a number of those guys.

Even when you get the draft right. No guarantees you are going to win.

Here we sit with all our eggs in the coming draft. It is so hard to win a Super Bowl.

It takes so much. The quarterback gives you a chance, but damn a lot has to go right.

bonefish #2141849 08/25/26 02:22 PM
Joined: Sep 2021
Posts: 979
T
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
T
Joined: Sep 2021
Posts: 979
Let's add Josh Allen to this list who was in the same draft class as Baker.

IMO, this is the real discussion, not Shadeur vs Watson. The current QB room has not shown itself to be capable of NFL winning caliber play. It's the Kobiashi Maru. I have zero confidence in any of the QBs when they step onto the field. They have no "it" factor; some of them show energy and mechanics, but I've not seen anyone who can step onto the field with a "let's go win this toughness." It's a circus of bad decisions and shortened drives. Imagine being an offensive player on the Browns who's contract is loaded with incentives and seeing whichever QB is pulling the trigger. They can't/won't say it, but they're not excited either.

How is it that the Browns have misfired on drafted QBs since 2015 (except Baker Mayfield)? Look at the list: Kessler, Kizer, Baker, DTR, Gabriel and Sanders. I'm still not sure that Sanders is getting a fair shake, or even if the Browns really want to develop him. Seems like another placeholder until the "next great QB" that Haslam has tunnel vision for.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Browns FO worst nightmare is that Sanders or Watson will play well enough to make the team look good, when a bad result is something they seem to have gone out of their way to orchestrate.

Just my two Lincolns...oh wait, they don't mint those anymore...

bonefish #2141870 08/25/26 07:07 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,593
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,593
We are definitely looking at the draft to be the savior .. now we have to hope that Manning, Moore, Sellers, Carr, etc, whichever on we choose, pans out. If not, it's another huge set back


"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Boston is far to the left as KC settles into the slot. Fannin is flanked out wide to the right. Judkins and Sampson are split in the backfield as the ball is hiked ... Here we go."
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Even when you get it right.

There is a long way to go.


bonefish #2141980 08/27/26 04:24 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,491
H
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,491
I keep reading that the Colts want to trade Richardson, the Vikings want to trade McCarthy, the Titans want to trade Levis, but I do not read of the Browns having any interest in anyone. It seems as though the Browns are HAPPY with Sanders/Watson/Gabriel. Their Browns appear nowhere in any discussion. I understand the writers are writing to fill space, get clicks and sell ads, but I would take any, absolutely any of above QBs over Watson/Sanders/Gabriel. I would trade ALL 3 and a 3rd round pick for any of them. I have no confidence that ANY our current top 3 QBs would do anything but lead us to an NEW RECORD .. 0 - 17 SEASON. I realize the Browns want a the top draft pick in the 2027 Draft, but I have been a Browns fan since 1962 and would like to see 1 more NFL Championship ( now known as Super Bowl ) before I die. GET A FREAKING QB !!

OK .. Rant over ..


The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,593
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,593
I think we are resigned to the fact that we'll stink this year regardless of who is the QB from the above options. But I agree, I hate punting the season before week 1 even starts


"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Boston is far to the left as KC settles into the slot. Fannin is flanked out wide to the right. Judkins and Sampson are split in the backfield as the ball is hiked ... Here we go."
bonefish #2141994 08/27/26 06:48 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,411
F
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
F
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,411
Sign Jimmy G, legit NFL QB still on the streets.

I honestly believe they want to lose as many games as possible, so maybe they can get a great pick. If not they woulda brought a proven guy in!

Frenchy #2142027 08/28/26 07:55 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,521
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,521
Old , old , old Browns Fan A Tic ; Just don't understand why the fans keep going to the stadium putting money in Haslam pocket.. They and the NFL deserve national embarrassment . Seems like we have this discussion every year ..

Frenchy #2142044 08/28/26 11:38 AM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by Halfback32
I keep reading that the Colts want to trade Richardson, the Vikings want to trade McCarthy, the Titans want to trade Levis, but I do not read of the Browns having any interest in anyone. It seems as though the Browns are HAPPY with Sanders/Watson/Gabriel. Their Browns appear nowhere in any discussion. I understand the writers are writing to fill space, get clicks and sell ads, but I would take any, absolutely any of above QBs over Watson/Sanders/Gabriel. I would trade ALL 3 and a 3rd round pick for any of them. I have no confidence that ANY our current top 3 QBs would do anything but lead us to an NEW RECORD .. 0 - 17 SEASON. I realize the Browns want a the top draft pick in the 2027 Draft, but I have been a Browns fan since 1962 and would like to see 1 more NFL Championship ( now known as Super Bowl ) before I die. GET A FREAKING QB !!

OK .. Rant over ..
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Sign Jimmy G, legit NFL QB still on the streets.

I honestly believe they want to lose as many games as possible, so maybe they can get a great pick. If not they woulda brought a proven guy in!


Is this really what it has come to? Getting rid of bad QBs and eating salary cap, to bring in more really bad QBs, just because ours are in font of us and the others currently aren't?

JJ McCarthy has been a bigger hot mess than SS. Richardson hasn't shown anything to date. Will Levis, we're talking about Will Levis?

Finally, Jimmy G is only legit when it comes to talking about being a legitimately bad QB.

They didn't do anything this year because there was NO options to do anything this year. It is what it is. Frankly, I think we win the same number of games plugging in any of the 4 QBs. They will win some games, but might not beat last year's number.

bonefish #2142314 09/02/26 09:16 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
The 2027 quarterback class is being considered as one of the best in a long time.

These are the guys ranked by "draft buzz" today with college season just beginning.

Dante Moore, Arch Manning, CJ Carr, Julian Sayin, Trinidad Chambliss, Drew Mestemaker, Darian Mensah, John Mateer, Brendan Sorsby, Nico Iamaleava.

The Browns are likely in the mix for the top four.

Who are the top four? That will depend on the evaluation by the individual teams.

Right now I don't have an opinion. The only guy who I have watched and know of in any detail is John Mateer.

I really like him but this season will tell a lot about how he has improved.

Manning of course has the spot light. Unless he really bombs. It is hard to imagine a team not taking him if they have the chance.

A lot of people really like Dante Moore. Maybe both are gone when we pick.

The next five years depends upon the Browns drafting the guy that will lead this team.

bonefish #2142337 09/02/26 01:05 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,024
H
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,024
The better those top QB's look the better for us. I hope they all look really good because if they do one will be a Brown next April.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
By April all these guys will be dissected.

They will be talked about for months. Everyone will have opinions on them.

We can only hope that we get the guy we have dreamed about.

Makes me think of Bernie in those 86 and 87 years. You always felt that he would get it done.

I want that feeling again sooo bad.

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
The better those top QB's look the better for us. I hope they all look really good because if they do one will be a Brown next April.


The thing I am hanging my hat on is the Browns over the past two off seasons has put a future prospect into a much better situation than any of our past QBs. Personally, I think Boston is a future star in this league. I think he is the type of player that makes a QB shine. I really am on the bandwagon of this group of QBs. I am notoriously hard on QBs. I am adamantly against taking a QB just because we need one.. however, this year, I am extremely excited that the player will justify the position of the draft to take him. Unless, 3/4 of them decide to stay in school, we will have at least a couple to choose from that I will be excited about. The first one taken is not necessarily going to be the most successful. If the organization isn't set up for success, that player will fail. In the past that was us, I mostly excited because I don't feel that is still the case... it's also the reason why we could surprise and win 6 games or so. Regardless, if we are close to the top ten, we should have enough ammunition to get one of the top prospects.

As of today, I am keeping a very close eye on those top 4 guys. If the draft was taking place today, I would rank them at Moore, Carr, Sayin and Manning. I'm sure Haslem has a very different ranking...

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
With all the guys returning to play this year.

We have to find out who improves and how much?

Manning has the pedigree and all the measureables. He still has to prove he can lead and win.

Moore could be the top guy. But every year guys rise who were not on the radar before.

The college season has to play out.

We have to hope we get a shot at a guy we like a lot.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,282
B
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,282
Irish, I'd keep two lists going. As you stated, a list of the top 4, but I'd keep a list of QBs outside the top 4.

I'm assuming the Browns win 7-9 games. The Browns may not be able to draft one of the top guys.

My gut says Berry wants LaNorris Sellers.

If you recall, both Jackson and Mahomes had question marks about their ability to transition to the NFL. Thus, neither was drafted first.

That is not to say Sellers is as talented as these two guys. Sellers has some unique talent that, with the right surroundings, could potentially be a great QB.

bugs #2142420 09/03/26 08:53 PM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,828
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,828
Originally Posted by bugs
Irish, I'd keep two lists going. As you stated, a list of the top 4, but I'd keep a list of QBs outside the top 4.

I'm assuming the Browns win 7-9 games. The Browns may not be able to draft one of the top guys.

My gut says Berry wants LaNorris Sellers.

If you recall, both Jackson and Mahomes had question marks about their ability to transition to the NFL. Thus, neither was drafted first.

That is not to say Sellers is as talented as these two guys. Sellers has some unique talent that, with the right surroundings, could potentially be a great QB.

I'll be watching Sellers pretty closely to see how he responds after a rough season. Hopefully he bounces back.


[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #2142421 09/03/26 08:57 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,079
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,079
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by bugs
Irish, I'd keep two lists going. As you stated, a list of the top 4, but I'd keep a list of QBs outside the top 4.

I'm assuming the Browns win 7-9 games. The Browns may not be able to draft one of the top guys.

My gut says Berry wants LaNorris Sellers.

If you recall, both Jackson and Mahomes had question marks about their ability to transition to the NFL. Thus, neither was drafted first.

That is not to say Sellers is as talented as these two guys. Sellers has some unique talent that, with the right surroundings, could potentially be a great QB.

I'll be watching Sellers pretty closely to see how he responds after a rough season. Hopefully he bounces back.

Me too. Probably my favorite QB likely to see the '27 draft.


HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
bonefish #2142464 09/05/26 08:25 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Darien Mensah wow did he light it up.

He throws a great ball very impressive.

bonefish #2142467 09/05/26 09:27 AM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,828
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,828
Originally Posted by bonefish
Darien Mensah wow did he light it up.

He throws a great ball very impressive.

Kind of like our preseason game, I'm not sure how much is about the QB, versus how much is about the competition. Stanford might not be very good this year. I'm seeing 3.5 projected wins. (Edit: per sports-reference, Stanford literally had the worst pass defense in all of FBS last season.)

Still Mensah and Toney did look good. We'll see if they can keep it going as the season heats up. I'll take as many good looking potential QB options as possible, please.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 09/05/26 09:44 AM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #2142475 09/05/26 10:40 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
I am only looking at the way he plays. Throws with tight coverage. Ball placement.

He threw some beautiful balls.

Clean mechanics. Really like his form.


FATE #2142490 09/06/26 08:55 AM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,905
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,905
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by bugs
Irish, I'd keep two lists going. As you stated, a list of the top 4, but I'd keep a list of QBs outside the top 4.

I'm assuming the Browns win 7-9 games. The Browns may not be able to draft one of the top guys.

My gut says Berry wants LaNorris Sellers.

If you recall, both Jackson and Mahomes had question marks about their ability to transition to the NFL. Thus, neither was drafted first.

That is not to say Sellers is as talented as these two guys. Sellers has some unique talent that, with the right surroundings, could potentially be a great QB.

I'll be watching Sellers pretty closely to see how he responds after a rough season. Hopefully he bounces back.

Me too. Probably my favorite QB likely to see the '27 draft.

I just watched a highlight video of him, very impressive.

bonefish #2142537 09/06/26 09:13 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Week ONE

Top 20 week one

Excel sheet online. I can't figure out how to post tables in this format.

Lanorris Sellers played Kent State but they pulled him early in the 2nd half because it was such a blowout, he ended with 270 passing, 3 TDs, No INTs, 1 rush yard. AI admitted he should have been on the list.. weird.


CJ Carr and Trinidad Chambliss are playing right now.

Last edited by IrishDawg42; 09/06/26 09:13 PM.
bonefish #2142538 09/06/26 09:17 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
IF you are able to see the list, you can make note that none of them played a decent team.

CJ Carr is playing Wisconsin this week, it might be the best match up of the QBs for this week. It could be argued that Boise State has been competitive the past several seasons, so Dante Moore might have a good matchup as well.

bonefish #2142541 09/06/26 10:10 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,079
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,079
Sellers vs Kent State tape. Condensed game. Probably shows about 75% of his passes. 19-23/270/3

The last two drives showcase his effortless delivery and mastery of velocity. I love this kid.

I marked the SC drives with the times below...

:55
2:18
4:39
8:06
10:45*
12:17*



HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
bonefish #2142542 09/07/26 06:33 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
One guy who caught my attention when he was at Clemson was Nico Iamleava.

He is at UCLA now. This guy is loaded with natural talent. The ball jumps from his hand. He is 6'5" and runs like a deer.

He reminds some of Colin Kaepernick with his athleticism.


bonefish #2142543 09/07/26 06:41 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
I was listening to Derek Carr talk about him. He was crazy impressed by both his skills and his character. He went to see him and was blown away.

He has tremendous natural talent both as a passer and runner.

I will be watching him this year. I know there were some things that went on regarding Clemson. But with the way college is today who knows?

What I can see is a really talented player.

bonefish #2142544 09/07/26 08:32 AM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,828
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,828
If it had been Clemson, I think the odds of him landing here would be better. It was Tennessee, where Haslam is a big donor, that he had his ugly exit. Haslam should have pretty good intel anyways.

Iamaleava is interesting on the field for sure.


[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
bonefish #2142548 09/07/26 10:59 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
None of the top QB's played anyone of note this past week-end so I'm not sure how much we can take away from any of that. But if we're speaking strictly about QB performances Julian Sayin had a great game as well......

Completions/Attempts: 21–25, Completion Percentage: 84.0%, Passing Yards: 320, Touchdowns: 3, Interceptions: 0, Passer Rating: 231.1. He was pulled from the game early in the third quarter

It's yet to be determined if he will be coming out in next years draft and this is only his second season as starting QB. Which to me makes his stats last season even more surprising........

2025 Passing StatisticsGames played (G): 14, Completions / Attempts (Cmp/Att): 301 / 391, Completion percentage (CMP%): 77.0%, Passing yards (Yds): 3,610, Yards per attempt (Y/A): 9.2, Touchdowns (TD): 32, Interceptions (Int): 8, Passer rating (Rate): 177.5, Yards per game (Y/G): 257.9


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #2142554 09/07/26 12:21 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
I can only speak for myself.

College football is different from the NFL in so many ways. Conferences and competition are all over the place. Josh Allen played for Wyoming. Good players are going to play uneven competition.

I watched part of the Miami versus Stanford game. I don't know the Stanford team.

I was watching Mensah. I was watching how he played. Not their offense so much or Stanford's defense.

I was looking at how he set-up. How his feet worked. How he positioned himself to throw. Where he throw from. His release. His hip rotation and follow through. On the pass was it his first read? If not where did his eyes go. Was the ball on time and where was the ball placement.

I look for throws that will look the type of throws that are made in the NFL.

I don't care about TDs to wide open guys or, easy throws. Can he throw on time, accurate throws, into tight windows?

Sometimes the 400 yard 4 TD games don't show much. Sometimes the 160 yard games do.

I watched some of Norte Dame game. I hated their offense. I dislike 100% shot gun. The handoffs and run game are horrible.

I am trying to see if the skills a guys shows are the transferable. I don't have the college football knowledge to know how good each corner is.

Mensah was impressive. He looked the part. Hell when the draft comes it is crapshoot anyway. I just try to find guys I like knowing I could be dead wrong.

bonefish #2142556 09/07/26 12:45 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
I get what you're saying but often times teams that are mismatched do give QB's opportunities they do not get against better opponents. It's much easier for a QB to do the things you speak of when they are comfortable, not pressured and have more time in the pocket. When you're not being pressured your game will flow in your own comfort zone. Not saying that's the case here because I didn't watch the game.

If you play a much weaker team your WR's aren't facing top end defenders. It makes it much easier for your WR's to get open than they may be against much better opponents. Your OL isn't facing top tier DL and LB's which also makes their jobs easier to protect the QB.

Top CB's, DL, OL and every position on the field whose aspiration and talent makes their goal playing in the NFL go to schools where they get the most attention and the most exposure. Many of those who don't go to the top schools do so because they aren't sure they could win the starting position so it's easier for them to be starters and get more exposure at a smaller school than sitting on the bench at a better school.

It does make it easier to see what they can and will do when they're in their comfort zone. What their natural tendencies are when you have the luxury of playing against inferior players. It doesn't tell you what they will do when their teams talent has to face similar talent and they're thrown out of their comfort zones. How a QB will react or what he may revert to when his WR's don't get open on a regular basis and he has to throw into traffic more often. How his mechanics may change when regularly pressured. How he reacts when he has to lead his team on late, game winning drives. The judge of a great QB is how they react when the heat is on. You don't win it all in the NFL based on playing inferior teams.

And yes you can bring up Josh Allan. On rare occasions even QB's who play on lower tier teams can develop into more. It's just not a very common occurrence.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #2143241 09/15/26 10:01 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Long way to go in the college season.

So far the guy who has my attention is Mensah. I love the way he sets and throws. Very clean throwing mechanics. Quick release.

What really stands out is ball placement. He throws a catchable ball with anticipation and timing.


bonefish #2143251 09/15/26 10:51 AM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
I like both Mensah and Carr, however, neither has played a viable opponent yet. Carr played Wisconsin, but they looked second rate for a B1G school.

This week Miami gets Wake Forest on Friday, while not a powerhouse, they have played good football so far in 2026.
Notre Dame gets Michigan State Saturday night. Again, Sparty won't be in line for a conference championship, but they are a good test. While most conferences are playing MAC schools and FCS level schools to warmup their season, Notre Dame is warming up with B1G schools...

bonefish #2143254 09/15/26 11:23 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
I have to go with Irish by agreeing that neither of those two has faced a serious opponent. Two of the top ranked QB's have.

Sayin and Arch.

That second half by Manning gave a glimpse at what you need in an NFL QB. The ability to rally the troops and fight your way back to victory from the jaws of defeat.

As a big OSU homer if there was any way I could spin it to make Sayin look better than Arch in that game I certainly would. But that comeback was a thing of beauty.

As you stated there's a long way to go in this season. But for me the most critical part of this process is when they play against strong opponents. It's as close as we get to see to them playing at the next level. Against OSU, when the chips were down, Arch passed the test.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
I don't look at who they play so much.

There is no way I am going to follow all the players in college. Every team plays cupcakes and a few better teams.

Unless you know the corners who will make it into the NFL and see them against the qb?

I watch the quarterback. I look for plays where the coverage is tight. Can he throw with anticipation, timing, and accuracy? Can he layer throws with touch?
Can he throw the deep out. Back shoulder? Do I see the types of throws that he would have to make in the NFL?

How does he handle pressure? Is he mobile? Can he escape and keep his eyes downfield?

I am looking for skills that transfer to the NFL game.

The percentage of college players who will make an NFL roster is under 2%. Higher for the big time schools but not much.

He will not face very many NFL type guys. So you try to see what you can.

bonefish #2143260 09/15/26 12:11 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
Top Teams in the 2026 NFL Draft

Ohio State Buckeyes: 11 players selected (including 4 in the first round)

Texas A&M Aggies: 10 players selected

Alabama Crimson Tide: 10 players selected

Miami Hurricanes: 9 players selected

Clemson Tigers: 9 players selected

Oklahoma Sooners: 7 players selected

Iowa Hawkeyes: 7 players selected

Washington Huskies: 7 players selected

It's not as hard to figure out as you're making it sound.

Against lesser teams good teams face less QB pressures. Against lesser teams the secondary coverage isn't as good. Against lesser teams the talent on both sides of the ball is inferior to highly ranked teams.

The best players are recruited by the best schools. Unless an athlete believes he isn't good enough to win the starting job at those better schools, he will go to one of them. If playing in the NFL is their goal, winning a starting job at a top tier school gives them the national exposure they desire to make an NFL career more possible.

Who would go to an unranked school if they could be a starter at a nationally ranked school?

There's a reason athletes go to Ohio University or Kent State instead of Ohio State.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2143270 09/15/26 01:00 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934


Quarterback - Current NFL Team - College

Patrick Mahomes Kansas City Chiefs - Texas Tech
Lamar Jackson Baltimore Ravens - Louisville
Josh Allen Buffalo Bills - Wyoming
Joe Burrow Cincinnati Bengals - LSU
Justin HerbertLos Angeles Chargers - Oregon
C.J. Stroud Houston Texans - Ohio State
Dak Prescott Dallas Cowboys - Mississippi State
Jalen Hurts Philadelphia Eagles - Oklahoma
Jared Goff Detroit Lions California - (Cal)
Matthew Stafford Los Angeles Rams - Georgia
Brock Purdy San Francisco 49ers - Iowa State
Jordan Love Green Bay Packers - Utah State
Baker Mayfield Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Oklahoma
Trevor Lawrence Jacksonville Jaguars - Clemson
Caleb Williams Chicago Bears - USC

No college quarterback faces NFL caliber "corners" every week.

Quarterbacks can come from any team if they have the talent.


bonefish #2143271 09/15/26 01:03 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,079
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,079
Why do I feel like Arch Manning will just be the next chapter of the curse?

I can't explain it, but my juju meter says we want no part of it.


HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #2143275 09/15/26 01:25 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
One thing is certain.

Berry does not go a single day without thinking about quarterbacks. Haslam and all beneath him all know they cannot afford to swing and miss again.

They are going over every quarterback candidate. Down to the cellular level.

We don't know the draft order but one has to believe we will get a chance at one of the top three.

The way we look now we could be picking number one.

FATE #2143276 09/15/26 01:28 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
I have no idea why you feel that way. I'm only basing my opinion on what I saw him do against Ohio State. A single game is not much to go on there. Unlike you I don't really have a juju meter. I suppose that's why I don't make a seven figure salary to sort all of that out. A good juju meter could go a long way at increasing my income. If your juju meter proves to be true I would suggest you strongly consider a career change. Andrew Berry makes an estimated $3.3 million to over $4 million per year.

thumbsup


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #2143277 09/15/26 01:29 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
No they don't face NFL corners every week. Nor do they face NFL caliber players at any position every week. But when they do it's more meaningful than playing against nobodies.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
FATE #2143280 09/15/26 01:41 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by FATE
Why do I feel like Arch Manning will just be the next chapter of the curse?

I can't explain it, but my juju meter says we want no part of it.

That's why I am scrutinizing this coaching staff to the fullest. IF they don't show they can lead a professional team onto the field, I want a full revamp to go with the shiny new QB. That will hopefully give the QB a full 5 years to grow with a competent staff.

Let's play the "what if" game. What if the Browns have two top 5 picks? What if Stafford continues to decline and the Rams defense continues to decline? What if McVay's contract extension has an out? What if the Browns could get McVay from the Rams in return for their first round pick we received for Garrett?

None of this is feasible of course, but I do want a competent coaching staff in place in 2027 to go along with the QB that is drafted. I don't want the new QB to be on his second HC and OC going into his second year of his rookie deal. Rip the band aid off at year end if Monken and company do not look a lot more competent than they did Sunday. Find the next plausible McVay if you can't get the man himself. That doesn't mean the next man down McVay's coaching staff list...

PitDAWG #2143281 09/15/26 01:43 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
No they don't face NFL corners every week. Nor do they face NFL caliber players at any position every week. But when they do it's more meaningful than playing against nobodies.


Agreed!! They must step up against the best competition on their schedule.

PitDAWG #2143288 09/15/26 02:11 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
I just see who are considered the top quarterback prospects.

Watch them play and see who I like.

I am looking at traits that could make them successful.

I remember watching Josh Allen's college tape. He looked like a guy with the lowest floor and highest ceiling. Low completion percentage and high ints.

But you had to be blind not to see his potential.

Jim Brown scored 106 rushing touchdowns. Josh Allen has 81 rushing touchdowns. He is tied at 20 for the most "rushing" touchdowns. More than Tony Dorsett and Earl Campbell and some of the best running backs in history.

What guys do in college has to be taken with a grain of salt.

We have to get this draft right. I want to get a guy I believe in. When down two scores in the 4th quarter. I want to believe my guy can win this game.

Andrew Berry please find a guy we all can believe in.

bonefish #2143291 09/15/26 02:35 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
I see what you're getting at and won't totally dismiss it. But even Josh Allan faced teams like Nebraska, Oregon and Iowa. He also faced Boise St. who were ranked #13 at the time.

I think it seems logical for NFL scouts to more heavily weigh how a college QB plays against his better competition than they would his weaker opponents. Less pressure and looser coverage makes it much harder to see what a QB would do in more stressful situations when facing far more adversity.

Quote
When down two scores in the 4th quarter. I want to believe my guy can win this game.

That's what we're both looking for. I think where we differ is I don't think I'm going to find out the answer to that question without heavily basing it on if he can do that against his best competition.

When you're playing a nobody team, you aren't facing much pressure. The coverage isn't as good on your WR's. It's much easier to get in your comfort zone and not be forced out if it.

For me the only way you can tell how a QB will perform under duress is when he is no longer in his comfort zone.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #2143294 09/15/26 02:40 PM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,828
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,828
I don't know what to make of Mensah yet. The touch and accuracy look great throwing into huge windows. I'd like to see more of the ability to rifle it into tight windows accurately. He's great with the club he's been using, just still trying to see what other clubs he has in his bag. Malachi Toney is roasting people.


[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
TooTall #2143301 09/15/26 03:48 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,278
H
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,278
You called it when you stated Haslam got involved, BUT, BUT, how can ANY organization miss/ or ignor character defects like Manziel and Watson brought to a team- one was a drug addict and other a sex addict.....and we paid a huge price for giving them the keys to team. One, Watson, had proved himself at pro level----but got hurt/ lost lots of time due to sex problem.....BOTH were obtained when the "team culture" stated character was important. BS.

No college Qb is a guarantee. I like big, strong guys- J Allen is my current heart throb.....Mayfield is/was too small, he's been hurt, gotten paid, but is a second tier Qb. Manning has the blood lines, and won a big game, he is on the radar of Haslam and lots of other teams. If he has no character flaws, I think he's about the best we'd have drafted in 50 years.


"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
hitt #2143311 09/15/26 05:04 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,024
H
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,024
I realize just because a college QB is 6'5 and 230 LBS. doesn't mean he can play in the NFL, but I would like to see our next QB be at least 6'3 and 220-225. At least in this scenario we don't have to question the physical aspect. Of course, he needs to have the traits of an NFL QB.

bonefish #2143314 09/15/26 07:05 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,138
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,138
My fav college Qb is CJ Carr ND
Still has some deveopement to do
I think he comes out after next season rather than this one


Mestemaker Okahoma St is an exciting prospect too
Also needs developement - very inexperienced
Anticipate he plays next season in college as well


Procrastination is caused by the fear of success
PitDAWG #2143320 09/15/26 10:04 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I see what you're getting at and won't totally dismiss it. But even Josh Allan faced teams like Nebraska, Oregon and Iowa. He also faced Boise St. who were ranked #13 at the time.

I think it seems logical for NFL scouts to more heavily weigh how a college QB plays against his better competition than they would his weaker opponents. Less pressure and looser coverage makes it much harder to see what a QB would do in more stressful situations when facing far more adversity.

Quote
When down two scores in the 4th quarter. I want to believe my guy can win this game.

That's what we're both looking for. I think where we differ is I don't think I'm going to find out the answer to that question without heavily basing it on if he can do that against his best competition.

When you're playing a nobody team, you aren't facing much pressure. The coverage isn't as good on your WR's. It's much easier to get in your comfort zone and not be forced out if it.

For me the only way you can tell how a QB will perform under duress is when he is no longer in his comfort zone.


Perfect example is Bryce Underwood, he has the comeback… against lowly Western Michigan AND the big win against Oklahoma, yet he doesn’t look like a NFL QB.

CJ Carr looks the part on all levels, but he hasn’t been challenged yet.

Manning looks like the best prospect of the last 10 years… then he doesn’t … then he does again. Same with Moore.

You aren’t going to get the perfect example in college ball. There just isn’t enough consistent competition to KNOW you found the right one. This year though, we have several that have traits consistent with successful NFL QBs. There could be more than one come out of this draft to become really good starting players.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,656
I certainly agree with this...............

Quote
You aren’t going to get the perfect example in college ball. There just isn’t enough consistent competition to KNOW you found the right one.

If there were perfect examples and air tight methods to identify the best QB's in every draft there wouldn't be nearly as many first round QB busts. All you can do is look at how they preform under pressure and their skill set then try to decide how that will transfer in the NFL.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #2143538 09/19/26 06:39 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Darian Mensah, dude is crushing it.

91% completion. 11 tds 0 ints.


Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,388
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,388
T times, Dart comes close, especially given his youth.


"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
bonefish #2143581 09/19/26 08:39 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,278
H
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,278
Just watched OS Sayin- he throws a nice ball BUT- as the commentators pointed out, he doesn't see the whole field AT ALL. He locks on to his first read and throws it.....one pass thrown to Smith/well covered- there was a guy running COMPLETELY free in middle of field and he never gave the guy a glance- and easy touchdown missed......I would NEVER draft him.....his mind isn't quick enough.......I ain't saying I'm quick, just he doesn't have field vision.


"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
hitt #2143774 09/20/26 03:51 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,629
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,629
Manning did the same thing in the OSU-Texas game, he didn't see wide open receivers numerous times because he was locked on to his first read plus he took a sack when he should have thrown the ball away. I'm going to try to watch some games of Moore (Oregon), Mensah (Miami), and Carr (Notre Dame) since we will obviously be taking a QB early in next year's draft and hopefully one of them looks a little more NFL ready.


RIP GM

Live, Love, Laugh
bonefish #2143906 09/22/26 10:09 AM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,500
M
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,500
j/c...

Kamario Taylor is insane and is incredible to watch. Not sure Miss. State will be able to keep him.

Get him in the 2029 draft!

Milk Man #2143920 09/22/26 11:34 AM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,079
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,079
Wow. Look at the fundamentals! Great footwork, both hands on the ball with the nose tucked up by his ear. Looks like Dan Marino with a set of wheels! And the ball jumps out of his hand.

We should have (5) 1st round draft picks by then, sign me up!


HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #2143933 09/22/26 01:02 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,500
M
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,500
Originally Posted by FATE
We should have (5) 1st round draft picks by then, sign me up!

Lol.

[Linked Image from media3.giphy.com]

bonefish #2144126 09/26/26 09:31 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,282
B
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,282
Is there any possibility AB drafts Jeremiah Smith with his first pick and draft LaNorris Sellers later in the first round?

bugs #2144132 09/27/26 03:52 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,701
B
Legend
Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,701
Originally Posted by bugs
Is there any possibility AB drafts Jeremiah Smith with his first pick and draft LaNorris Sellers later in the first round?

Always a possibility. It depends on where that second 1st rounder is positioned and how many QBs actually declare. It also depends on how the rookie WR's on our roster play.

We did invest in the WR position. I am not sure we will do so again this year if they play well.


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
bonefish #2144136 09/27/26 07:58 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Darian Mensah is the first FBS quarterback in the last 30 years to have more touchdown passes (14) than incompletions (12) through his first four games.

Darian Mensah is the 1st Miami player with 3 Pass TD & a Rush TD in a first half in the last 30 seasons.

YDS
1,211

TD
14

INT
0

QBR
93.9

What else can a qb do?

His poise and control is special.

bonefish #2144138 09/27/26 08:21 AM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,024
H
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,024
Bone I watched Mateer yesterday. He didn't look very good. So far this season he's been very average.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,934
I saw the play where he fumbled and the guy picked it up and ran like 80 yards for a TD.

Mateer has decent numbers but nothing special for sure. I thought he would be better. I don't know much about the team.

I saw the hit Dante Moore took. Disgusting. He could have been paralyzed. They threw the guy out of the game but he should be suspended. Moore went into a slide and that guy targeted his head. It was a bad screen. I really feared for Moore. He was on the field 20 minutes before they got him on a stretcher and carted off the field.

I watched Manning in the Texas vs TN game. He looks ok but he seems slow in processing to me.

Chambliss is small but damn he is a hellava playmaker. Smart, fast, elusive, savvy. Makes plays with arms and legs.

Still a long way to go.

bonefish #2144323 09/28/26 12:25 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by bonefish
Darian Mensah is the first FBS quarterback in the last 30 years to have more touchdown passes (14) than incompletions (12) through his first four games.

Darian Mensah is the 1st Miami player with 3 Pass TD & a Rush TD in a first half in the last 30 seasons.

YDS
1,211

TD
14

INT
0

QBR
93.9

What else can a qb do?

His poise and control is special.

Now we just need him to go up against a team with an actual defense.

Stanford ranked 111
Florida A&M ranked 108
Wake Forest ranked 71
Central Michigan ranked 55

Clemson next up on the schedule ranked 68
Florida State after that ranked 128
THEN FINALLY... Pitt comes in at #16 nationally (Though they have played Miami OH/UCF/Syracuse/Bucknell, so might want to take that with a grain of salt)

The true test will be in a marquee matchup with Notre Dame, who is currently #1 ranked in defense. Irish have played (3) B1G teams and Rice.

Irish Vs Hurricanes will also feature CJ Carr, whom I think is a better prospect than Mensah overall.

We have to wait until November 7th to see it unfortunately!!

bonefish #2144431 09/30/26 02:02 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,895
1
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
1
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,895
This goes here. A thumbnail of all the major qb’s thru 4 games. Chambliss is still studding out. Apart from one pretty golden moment I’m sure a few here will (always) remember, Manning looking like he may still need a year at this point. Moore hasn’t been great and now a concussion. Mensah wasn’t really on my radar, is now. Sellers looking very average.

It’s still early but interesting: Linkipoo

Last edited by 10YrOvernightSuccess; 09/30/26 02:03 PM.



"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Quarterbacks

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5