Sad to hear of his passing. He was a true living legend of the NFL. A throwback to days gone by. Lombardi and Ditka stand out in my mind as the most hard nosed NFL HC's of my lifetime. I believe gone with the passing of Ditka is also the end of HC's in his mold. Whether you think that's for better or for worse.
RIP Mike Ditka
Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.
A number of years ago, wife and I (Browns fans) and my sis in law and bro in law - were in Cleveland for the bears at Browns game. Sat. night, we were out barhopping, and I noticed this guy. Told my wife "He looks just like Ditka". They guy got up to go to the bathroom. His table, all the guys were wearing bears stuff. I went up to them and said "You know that guy looks just like a young Mike Ditka?"
They said "He's Ditka's son, Matt. But don't tell him we told you."
Matt came back. I said "You're Mike's son, Matt?" He laughed and looked at his friends and called them some names.
Saw them at a couple other bars that night as well.
Bill Swerski: Okay, gentlemen, another scenario: Da Bears, they don’t make it, the plane is delayed.. and the only one who shows up is Ditka. Ditka vs. Da Giants. Okay, score, gentlemen.
RIP, Coach Ditka. The definition of Football for years. Butkus was my favorite off his teams. Football the way it was played when it was played well. Thanks for the Chicago miracle. Da Bears!
"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Get used to it. The older you get the more people will pass away who you somehow thought were always here and always would be.
Mike was in a mold by himself. A tough as a nut player and coach. As a coach some of his players may not have liked him, but none could say he didn't and couldn't walk the walk.
One of my favorite players from any era.
R.I.P Iron Mike.
If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Boston is far to the left as KC settles into the slot. Fannin is flanked out wide to the right. Judkins and Sampson are split in the backfield as the ball is hiked ... Here we go."
PS Wasn't Ditka coaching Da Bears when they came out with a video, I believe for a Super Bowl? Featured QB and LB on that squad, I think. Ditka was a memorable kinda guy, reminded me of Lombardi.
"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880