Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,164
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,164
Quote:

Quote:

Can I make up for it? Come on down, we'll sit with the Cubans, Mexicans, Haitians, Americans, Germans, Italians, British, Scottish, Finnish, and even a few Canadians and drink some rum while we watch the snow fall on the Weather channel and the tide go out in 82* weather.

How's that?



I'll drink with all of them except the Canadians.




Canadians are ok as long as they're not French Canadians . Those guys are in league with rich white devil worshipping warmongering republicans.


#gmstrong
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 563
J
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
J
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 563
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think the "white man" deserved the glory in correcting his mistake,




Once one makes a mistake and understands such, what else can he, or is he supposed to do but "correct it"?

Do you have any idea of how many "whites" died to help gain that freedom?



Listenning to you, I guess they fought and died in vain huh?






Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I hate all whites, including myself.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
L
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
I guess I'll join in to take some abuse off ndutyme.

I don't really care about the flag much. Don't really care about "America" much (nor any other country). Not really sure what the value of something as esoteric as a "country" or "nation" is, and I'm not really sure why it's worth doing good things for.

In the end, it's individuals that matter. A country has no value outside that of the individuals who compose, and in no way is the whole greater than the sum of the parts. I'll do work to help out people. Sometimes that requires going through a large bureaucracy to help achieve equal treatments. A lot of times it doesn't. And I don't really care what nation somebody was born in when I determine what their value is.

If we want to help ourselves as people, we ought to do away with nationalism. It's started more wars, killed off more people through mistreatment, famine and racism than most of the "evil dictators" of the last 100 years (who all of course strongly supported it's beliefs, because it's a necessity for large scale war).

I know I'm going to get flamed from all directions for posts like this...but I can't see how the world wouldn't be a better place if people stopped dealing with flags and started dealing with people.

~Lyuokdea


"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:33-34
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,711
B
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,711
Quote:

That is easy to say when you're in the majority. If white made up only 10% of this country, and were underrepresented in the government, you would probably see things very differently.





hey, the fact of the matter was, that the japaese just took out most of our pacific fleet, and killed many American soldiers....they started a war....

these weren't concentration camps were people were sent to die..and he didn't round up all the japanse in the country...just the ones on the west coast...

FDR then decided to round up japanese living in some states on the west coast...some were allowed to move east, from what i read it was like 150,000....around 60% were American citezens...the rest weren't....

now sure there was a wrong done, but they did what they had to do to protect the country...and them for that matter...around 55,000 japanese on American soil couldn't be discounted...

and i'm sure i would have seen things differently if it were me....i know a lady that was there as a child...she said it wasen't fun....but it probably wasen't fun drowning in a sinking ship either...


Quote:

I'm not trying to insult you, but those comments come across as very ignorant of history, racism, and our world today. Should we just round up all the Arabs and put em in camps right now? You are certainly free to you opinion, but to me, your comments show a very backward way of thinking.




how are they ignorant comments? i was replying to ndutyme's comment...that was ignorant if anything....guess it was easier to discredit my post of what Teddy Roosevelt said, instead of taking it with a grain of salt...well at least you bothered to respond...

fact is, that this is a country now made up of <insert nation>-Americans....instead of Americans...and its not better off for it...

and my comment wasen't ignorant of history....it happened...you think if mexico invaded our country that we would not have to look at the issue? the numbers now make it pretty impossible...but i'm guessing alot of mexican looking people would be in grave danger just walking around....

and my comments certainly weren't racist...cause i'm not a racist...thats such a b.s. argument anymore....they didn't do it because they didn't like japanese...they did it because japan attacked us...

i suppose we should let thousands of possible spys or soldiers run around our country during a time of war? open the drawbridge....were under attack....not...friggin possible trojan horse....thats history....

and as far as arabs go....i don't even think it would be possible to do with the numbers here...but if an entire border was undefended because an arab country just destroyed our navy and attacked and killed our soldiers, then yeah...

i love how you take out of context what i said...it was a reaction by the gov't to a problem...was it fair? not to everyone....then you shout racism...gafb...


Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 144
T
1st String
Offline
1st String
T
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 144
I know it's only February, but this man gets my vote for Man Of The Year, hell he gets my vote for American Of The Year!


[color:"green"] Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.[/color]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,431
I
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,431
Quote:

I don't really care about the flag much. Don't really care about "America" much (nor any other country). Not really sure what the value of something as esoteric as a "country" or "nation" is, and I'm not really sure why it's worth doing good things for.




It's a brand new world folks. You're welcome to it.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Quote:


I don't really care about the flag much. Don't really care about "America" much (nor any other country). Not really sure what the value of something as esoteric as a "country" or "nation" is, and I'm not really sure why it's worth doing good things for.




Because in current times, each country is a separate entity, and therefore lives under different rule. If you lived in Iran right now, you'd be living a much different life and have few choices in what you do. If you lived in parts of Africa, you would be part of a tribe and living by the rules of the tribe, including arranged marriages, as well as possibly being the victim of tribal wars.

You should be very thankful you live in the US where even with all the recent government controls, you still have freedom of choice everyday.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,149
Quote:

Just watched the video...

I wonder if this guy in the video even bothered to check with the shop owner to see if he/she UNDERSTOOD that they can't fly another flag above the US flag. I see this all the time in ethnic neighborhoods. If I have the time, I stop and seek out the owner of the flags to explain to them that it is against the law to fly the US flag below another flag. Every time I've done this, I get the same reaction: the person is EXTREMELY embarassed, they immediately fix the problem and they thank me for making them aware of the it. It really isn't that hard to be civil about it.

It's a good law, but an esoteric one to many people (including, unfortunately, life-long Americans). One shouldn't automatically assume that the shop owner in the video was thumbing his nose at the US. Regardless, there is a better way to handle the situation than tresspassing, destroying private property and stealing (which is essentially what this guy did -- forget the lawsuit, the he could have been -- perhaps SHOULD have been -- arrested).

... and yes, I AM a veteran and I'm EXTREMELY proud of my country. I understand the emotion involved, but I don't have much use for such a complete lack of discipline and common sense.




Good post dude,...I like to take this same approach, but mostly aim it at locations where the Flag has been allowed to fly so long that it is tattered/shredded.

I have a pole in my yard and mostly fly the Marine Corps Flag on it 24/7. It is "illegal" to fly the National Ensign on a residence 24/7, but when I do, it is properly floodlit, like it would be at any monument or Post Office.

So the American of Mexican descent needed a little training in flag etiquette. No big surprise,...so do many Amercicans of no descent..

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Is it not also true that when the flag is lowered to half staff for some reason that all other flags must also be lowered so that the American flag remains at or above any other flag?


yebat' Putin
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,580
B
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,580
"For the record, yes, I have been called the n word."

Why do you bring that up?
It's nothing more than a word.Just as the flag is nothing more than fabric,the word is nothing more than vowels and consonants.It shouldn't bother you.
I have this sneaking suspecion that if I were to call you that to your face you would become very irate.
It's not the vowels and consonants,it's the meaning behind them,same as that piece of fabric.


Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Quote:

Is it not also true that when the flag is lowered to half staff for some reason that all other flags must also be lowered so that the American flag remains at or above any other flag?




You are correct.


KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Good. I corrected a couple of establishments, I believe when Reagan died, they lowered the American flag but not the others.. I politely told them of their mistake and the few that I told, were quick to fix it.


yebat' Putin
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
L
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
Quote:


Because in current times, each country is a separate entity, and therefore lives under different rule. If you lived in Iran right now, you'd be living a much different life and have few choices in what you do. If you lived in parts of Africa, you would be part of a tribe and living by the rules of the tribe, including arranged marriages, as well as possibly being the victim of tribal wars.

You should be very thankful you live in the US where even with all the recent government controls, you still have freedom of choice everyday.




Sure, the people in those situations don't fair nearly as well as the people in America. In any of those countries I would probably be actively protesting for more freedom, something I'm not forced as often to do here. Thus by my above analysis, I would much rather live here.

But there are also a couple dozen other countries that I could live in with pretty much the same rights and standard of living. I don't know why I should be so strongly American, just because I happen to be living in this one.

~Lyuokdea


"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:33-34
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Quote:

"For the record, yes, I have been called the n word."

Why do you bring that up?
It's nothing more than a word.Just as the flag is nothing more than fabric,the word is nothing more than vowels and consonants.It shouldn't bother you.
I have this sneaking suspecion that if I were to call you that to your face you would become very irate.
It's not the vowels and consonants,it's the meaning behind them,same as that piece of fabric.



You'd get the same reaction if you were to call me an ***hole to my face...what's your point?

The point in my stating that, is that some people seem to think that I don't still encounter some the same bigotry that has plagued this country since its inception.


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
but you are an ***hole.





yebat' Putin
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Quote:

but you are an ***hole.








Oh yeah...I forgot!

You're one of the few I'll let get away with that...we may disagree on just about everything, including what color the sky is (why is it always about color?) but we've been kept it pretty civil...so, you get a pass...today!


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
I think we agree on a lot more than you think..

And the sky can be any color you want as long as it's not Duke blue.


yebat' Putin
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Quote:

I think we agree on a lot more than you think..

And the sky can be any color you want as long as it's not Duke blue.



We DEFINITELY agree on that! I frickin HATE Duke!


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Quote:



Sure, the people in those situations don't fair nearly as well as the people in America. In any of those countries I would probably be actively protesting for more freedom, something I'm not forced as often to do here. Thus by my above analysis, I would much rather live here.




Actually, if you were to actively protest in many countries, you would be shot on sight, or worse. Don't think that's true? That's fine. I've personally watched it happen and had to pick up the pieces afterwards. If you've never lived outside this country for any significant period of time, I do not believe you could understand how limited the liberties are in some areas of the "civilized" world.

Quote:

But there are also a couple dozen other countries that I could live in with pretty much the same rights and standard of living. I don't know why I should be so strongly American, just because I happen to be living in this one.

~Lyuokdea




Well, you could always go there.


KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
L
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
Quote:



Actually, if you were to actively protest in many countries, you would be shot on sight, or worse. Don't think that's true? That's fine. I've personally watched it happen and had to pick up the pieces afterwards. If you've never lived outside this country for any significant period of time, I do not believe you could understand how limited the liberties are in some areas of the "civilized" world.




I think I have an idea. Anyway, none of these answers really argue against my point. They all say we should support America because it is objectively better than other countries. My argument is that we should focus on people...not countries. Patriotism can't just be supporting America when it does the right things...by it's definition it implies you have to support America when it does something wrong, otherwise it has nothing to do with America and nothing to do with supporting bad decisions. I would never support America when it makes a bad decision simply because it IS America.

Quote:


Well, you could always go there.




That's not really an argument.

~Lyuokdea


"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:33-34
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Quote:

I don't really care about the flag much. Don't really care about "America" much (nor any other country). Not really sure what the value of something as esoteric as a "country" or "nation" is, and I'm not really sure why it's worth doing good things for.




This line pretty much says that you don't care about America, not that you don't have to support it when it does wrong, which no one does, that's why people protest.

Maybe your wording was wrong, but what you wrote is flat out saying, "You don't care about America."

then add
Quote:

I'm not really sure why it's worth doing good things for.




Um, because it's your home, and if we all just sat back and let things happen as they wish, we would be the United States of Japan since 1941.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Quote:


I think I have an idea. Anyway, none of these answers really argue against my point. They all say we should support America because it is objectively better than other countries. My argument is that we should focus on people...not countries. Patriotism can't just be supporting America when it does the right things...by it's definition it implies you have to support America when it does something wrong, otherwise it has nothing to do with America and nothing to do with supporting bad decisions. I would never support America when it makes a bad decision simply because it IS America.




If you have an idea, that's great! But from your statement it certainly doesn't appear so. And yes, you should support America, in the good and bad. You (and I, and anyone for that matter) should try to make the bad decisions better, Get with your congressman or congresswoman, state representatives, let them know when they screw up. Everyone screws up, its how we react that makes the difference.

Quote:

Quote:


Well, you could always go there.




That's not really an argument.

~Lyuokdea




Wasn't meant to be. If you think you'll be better somewhere else, then by all means, have a great trip.


KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Wow, you certainly did take the eyes off of me.

You don't like America...GET OUT!!.....I can't even say that with straight fingers!


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
L
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
Quote:


Wasn't meant to be. If you think you'll be better somewhere else, then by all means, have a great trip.




I mean, if I decided that living somewhere else would be a better decision for me, I most certainly would leave. Are you saying you wouldn't, just because that other place doesn't bear the name America?

~Lyuokdea


"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:33-34
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
I've been to enough places to know that it's not as rosey when you get there as it looks from the outside. I've seen far too many liberties taken for granted here in the US. While we may not be perfect, and probably never will be, This is the only place I would choose to live.


KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
L
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
Quote:

I've been to enough places to know that it's not as rosey when you get there as it looks from the outside. I've seen far too many liberties taken for granted here in the US. While we may not be perfect, and probably never will be, This is the only place I would choose to live.




I don't think that really answers the question. If you knew a place was better to live in than here, would you move?

Presently Chicago is the best place for me to live, but I'm applying to grad schools now, and thus next fall, I will (hopefully) be living elsewhere, and maybe Wisconsin, or Seattle or (again hopefully) L.A. would be the best place for me to live...I don't see how a choice of countries is any different.

~Lyuokdea


"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:33-34
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
It's not. I have a choice, so I live here. I could probably be pretty happy and live a decent life in any of half a dozen other countries, but given the choice, I choose here.

If one of those countries offered something that this one didn't (like the education that I was looking for) then I'd move, even if only temporarily.


yebat' Putin
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Quote:

I don't see how a choice of countries is any different.




Interesting choice of words, because in some countries, you don't get the choice of leaving if you don't like it. At least not legally.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,530
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,530
Hate to say it folks but it's more then likely that the flags were flown incorrectly by a couple of dumb Mexicans. I wouldn't expect the Mexicans to sue anybody, thats an american thing... Much ado about nothing actually..

JMHO

Brown to the Bone


BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 683
S
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
S
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 683
Just referring back a few posts to when you mentioned America being wrong or making mistakes. The reality is that America doesn't make mistakes. The country named The United States Of America has ordained it's legal residents with rights and privelages enough to allow them to make such significant mistakes that it may be viewed as a mistake by America. In reality, people make the mistakes, and thankfully we live in a country where they're allowed to.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Quote:

Quote:

I don't see how a choice of countries is any different.




Interesting choice of words, because in some countries, you don't get the choice of leaving if you don't like it. At least not legally.




Exactly.


KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Quote:

Just referring back a few posts to when you mentioned America being wrong or making mistakes. The reality is that America doesn't make mistakes. The country named The United States Of America has ordained it's legal residents with rights and privelages enough to allow them to make such significant mistakes that it may be viewed as a mistake by America. In reality, people make the mistakes, and thankfully we live in a country where they're allowed to.






"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Ordained. I'm sorry I gotta tell this story.

I was in Nassau, Bahamas for Superbowl weekend. And we took this cab over to Atlantis, and I made mention of all the churches, because there was one on every block it seemed.

Anyway, the cab driver started going off on this thing about ministers and how as soon as they become ordained they become possessed by the evil spirits and they just want the peoples money and wives, and then he went hardcore onto ministers enslaving their female members and forcing them into having sex with them to save their souls and stuff.

I mean, yes I'm sure it happens, but man this guy just hated preachers.

And my buddy and I were in the back seat listening to all this and both were thinking of a friend back home who talks in a very similar style. We started rolling, but man did we want out of that cab.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 563
J
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
J
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 563
Quote:

Quote:

That is easy to say when you're in the majority. If white made up only 10% of this country, and were underrepresented in the government, you would probably see things very differently.





hey, the fact of the matter was, that the japaese just took out most of our pacific fleet, and killed many American soldiers....they started a war....

these weren't concentration camps were people were sent to die..and he didn't round up all the japanse in the country...just the ones on the west coast...

FDR then decided to round up japanese living in some states on the west coast...some were allowed to move east, from what i read it was like 150,000....around 60% were American citezens...the rest weren't....

now sure there was a wrong done, but they did what they had to do to protect the country...and them for that matter...around 55,000 japanese on American soil couldn't be discounted...

and i'm sure i would have seen things differently if it were me....i know a lady that was there as a child...she said it wasen't fun....but it probably wasen't fun drowning in a sinking ship either...


Quote:

I'm not trying to insult you, but those comments come across as very ignorant of history, racism, and our world today. Should we just round up all the Arabs and put em in camps right now? You are certainly free to you opinion, but to me, your comments show a very backward way of thinking.




how are they ignorant comments? i was replying to ndutyme's comment...that was ignorant if anything....guess it was easier to discredit my post of what Teddy Roosevelt said, instead of taking it with a grain of salt...well at least you bothered to respond...

fact is, that this is a country now made up of <insert nation>-Americans....instead of Americans...and its not better off for it...

and my comment wasen't ignorant of history....it happened...you think if mexico invaded our country that we would not have to look at the issue? the numbers now make it pretty impossible...but i'm guessing alot of mexican looking people would be in grave danger just walking around....

and my comments certainly weren't racist...cause i'm not a racist...thats such a b.s. argument anymore....they didn't do it because they didn't like japanese...they did it because japan attacked us...

i suppose we should let thousands of possible spys or soldiers run around our country during a time of war? open the drawbridge....were under attack....not...friggin possible trojan horse....thats history....

and as far as arabs go....i don't even think it would be possible to do with the numbers here...but if an entire border was undefended because an arab country just destroyed our navy and attacked and killed our soldiers, then yeah...

i love how you take out of context what i said...it was a reaction by the gov't to a problem...was it fair? not to everyone....then you shout racism...gafb...




Here is what I think is wrong with what you said, and be clear, I am NOT calling you a Nazi. But this kind of thinking is what allowed Hitler to do the things he did. He had the support of the German people, most of whom were not aware at the beginning of what was happening, because they were willing to blame a group of people for the problems they were having based simply on race.

When we, as nation, think it's okay to incarcerate ANY citizen without probable cause, it is against the Constitution and everything we stand for. It's not about safety. We, as a nation, made a decision 200 years ago that we would rather suffer the pains of criminals than take the rights away of everyone. The government should never have the power to incarcerate a group of people based on their race or heritage. No matter what the cost. Otherwise, what did all those soldiers over the last 200 years die for? What do they die for now?

As FDR, our man in question, once said "We would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." When we sacrifice our civil rights for "security" we live on our knees.

There is this quote too, I believe by Ben Franklin (although I'm not sure)
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom to gain security lose both and deserve neither."

And the japenese internment camps were racist, and that's why I though your comments were ignorant of history and racism. Why didn't we round up the Germans on the East coast? We knew they had submarines off the east coast, and they attacked American ships, not military ships, crossing the Atlantic. There were spies in New York and DC. We didn't round them up because they were white. They looked to much like "us" as it was defined at that time.

Again, I appreciate your comments, and you back them up with reason and historical facts, but there is much more to learn about what happened then to understand what your type of thinking has historically led to when believed by masses of people.

If Mexico attacked us, rounding up Mexicans would include rounding up American citizens, including a good number who are in the military and hold prominent positions in the government. It would be wrong, and it would cause more harm to us than good.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Quote:

As FDR, our man in question, once said "We would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." When we sacrifice our civil rights for "security" we live on our knees.

There is this quote too, I believe by Ben Franklin (although I'm not sure)
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom to gain security lose both and deserve neither."




Someone should email those quotes to Washington DC.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Quote:

Quote:

I don't see how a choice of countries is any different.




Interesting choice of words, because in some countries, you don't get the choice of leaving if you don't like it. At least not legally.



I think we can all agree that there are numerous countries around the globe where we absolutely positively not want to live... excluding those, there are some other countries which are pretty decent and I doubt most of us would notice much of a difference rom our lives now if we lived in one of them...


yebat' Putin
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Canada may be a nice country, but I'd notice that I was freezing my behind off right now. That would be a difference I would notice.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,580
B
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,580
It's not the words,it's the meaning behind them.Same as it's not the fabric but what it stands for.I couldn't view the video,so I can't comment on what this man did,or didn't do.
Many people would view flying thw Mexican flag above the US flag as an injustice.Not one as great as has been perpetraited on many peoples,but an injustice none the less.If this man believed that,than he did an honorable thing.
I doubt I would ever call you either of those things you mentioned.Well,unless it was New Years,and I was with a bunch of friends outside a resteraunt in Columbus.


Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,711
B
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,711
its cool man....

at the end of the day it was a mistake....i still don't think it was racist, but thats just me....i believe the gov't even apologized...eventually anyway...

i understand that we don't want to give up certain rights...but i do believe in wartime that the gov't is allowed to do certain things....we had the lights out at a certain time thing during WWII iirc....you could have a curfew...

all i was getting at with the japanese camps is that it did have sort of a military sense too it...we had no fleet on the west coast....japan wasen't gonna invade the east coast...they would have came from the west...germany wasen't a threat to invade...they had enemys all around them...

in the end it doesn't matter....this is really off the subject of the thread....

what i originally was infering (or trying to anyway) was that to me an American is what you become...

sure we all have some different customs....we all eat foods that our parents made, and those came from previous countries....people worship different, view things different

take the mexican immigrants for example...i don't blame them for wanting to come here...they should do it legally, but this is a great country to live...they are just happy to be here to get a job...they are happy for a chance.....thats why immigrants have been coming here forever....

but when you come here and become an American, you are supposed to shed all ties to your former country....and i'm not talking about your traditions....but your allegiances..

to many people are just happy to be here, and they forget what it means to be free....they are free, but they take it for granted...

we've got mexicans still voting im mexico...that live here...they want there language...their flag....and imo that crosses the line..

if you come here, then this is your country...not the one you left behind..

i don't want millions of mexicans living in America...i'm ok with Americans of mexican decent....

all this hypenated crap just keeps us from becoming one people....the great melting pot? not anymore....

same exact thing with the racism crap...it all needs to stop...on both sides...


Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,863
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,863
It is a fairly common sight to see a mexican flag flown here. It is sort of the support your hispanic (or se hablo espanol) business marker.

It has the same effect on me as seeing the Italian flag being flown or displayed at my in-laws relatives house.

But it is clearly wrong to fly the mexican flag above the american flag. Chances are the owner was clueless as to his error.

I understand why anyone would be angry. He probably could have gotten the same result if he would have gone in an told the owner he was violating the law.


Welcome back, Joe, we missed you!…. That did not age well.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Veteran cuts down Mexican flag flown on top of an American flag

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5