Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#291855 07/21/08 12:54 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Well, I went out and bought NCAA 2009 at lunch last week and when I got home and put the kids to bed I popped it in,,,then it happened. My 360 started making this God awful noise that I can only describe as a grinding noise. I am like "what the hell", so I eject it and pop it in. Same thing, grinding noise and I just get the 360 dashboard and the disc is unreadable. I pop it out and put in Madden thinking it's the new game. Same crap, I hear it spin and then the noise. And I'm talking very loud. After a while Madden loads though. So I take out Madden and pop in NCAA and after a while of that noise it loads. It played for a while and then I got a disc read error and thats all she wrote.

So, I pretty much figured out my DVD just took a crap on me for some reason. Has anyone replaced the DVD drive or know a good write up on doing this? How hard is it,,and will it void anything if I open it up? It has been almost a year since I bought it and am very mad that this has happened. I am just hoping maybe it's dirty or the tray got off track somehow, but I have never messed around inside a XBoX before and wondered if I was best off sending it to Microsoft. I need to find my receipt b/c I am almost positive I bought a Best Buy extended warranty when I bought it. If thats the case I will just exchange it there but if not I need to do something soon. It sucks that I can't play that game when I just got it

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end, for OHIO! GO BUCKS!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Too bad. It really is a great game. If you had a PS3 you wouldn't have this problem.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sorry man, that sucks.

Check out your extended and manufactur warranties and see if either one will fix it or replace it for free.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Too bad. It really is a great game. If you had a PS3 you wouldn't have this problem.

Gee, thanks for the help

I have begun thoughts of selling what I have and going that route. I need to dig thru my records and hope I bought that warranty. I am almost positive I did b/c my old X-BoX took a crap as well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Gee, thanks for the help

You're very welcome. The problem here is that you are trying to fix the symptoms not the disease. The disease is the X-Box, the symptoms are the system breaking down. The only true solution to your problem is to get a PS3.

And if I knew anything about what you were trying to do, I would help, but I don't, so I won't.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Yeah yeah, I know I waited a while to get it and got one of the newer ones that fixed the cooling issues, but now they prob have a DVD tray issue hehe. Evil Microsoft strikes again,,ahhh. I have let it be known that I want the PS3 this christmas so I can have em both which I know nobody will buy it for me so it's my best buy CC to the rescue woohoo!

Well, good news for me is I found my receipt in my files and I did in fact get the 2 year replacement plan, so Best Buy will be seeing me later on today!

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Well, good news for me is I found my receipt in my files and I did in fact get the 2 year replacement plan, so Best Buy will be seeing me later on today!

I don't know if that's good news or bad news for you. Best Buy's replacement plan is terrible. Probably the worst i've ever seen, as they will try any way to get out of replacing it for you.

Don't let them treat you like a fool, because they will try as hard as they can to get out of the replacement plan.

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Keep playing discs until you finally get the three red lights. It just happened to me...that way, MS will fix it for free!

"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Really? The orig X-Box I had broke on me and I walked in and got a new one like that. All they have to do is turn it on and pop in a disc and theres no mistaking whats going on. I have the elite version and it still looks brand new so you can tell I didn't beat on it or anything. If they try anything I will raise some hell for sure. I hate people who make a scene but it may come to that if they play games,,especially when I can't b/c of this POS.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
But then what would he play games on?

S
Legend
Legend
S
i'm not sure what exactly your problem is, but i do know that microsoft has extendedt their warranties on all consoles for the next few years... i would register your console and then talk to them...

that's really the only downside to the 360, its durability is questionable, otherwise it is the best console on the market.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Well, good news is I got the new 360 with no problems what so ever. Walked in and they said that the #1 problem they are seeing with these are the DVD drives taking a crap The good thing is the system I got back was the same and I kept my HD, but the box I got 2 free games with it. Plus I forgot I lent the HDMI cable to a buddy of mine and forgot to pack one of the connectors so I have 2 of each now and 2 free games hehe

So I guess you can say I made out in the deal
And, LBJ I am going to register this one with Microsoft just in case it happens again b/c I can only use the Best Buy plan one time. The bad thing is I bought this system Aug of last year so it didn't last even 1 year and I had to use it. But well worth the money I guess.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Well, good news is I got the new 360 with no problems what so ever. Walked in and they said that the #1 problem they are seeing with these are the DVD drives taking a crap The good thing is the system I got back was the same and I kept my HD, but the box I got 2 free games with it. Plus I forgot I lent the HDMI cable to a buddy of mine and forgot to pack one of the connectors so I have 2 of each now and 2 free games hehe

So I guess you can say I made out in the deal
And, LBJ I am going to register this one with Microsoft just in case it happens again b/c I can only use the Best Buy plan one time. The bad thing is I bought this system Aug of last year so it didn't last even 1 year and I had to use it. But well worth the money I guess.

that's really stupid that they limit the amount of times you can use a policy you paid for to just once.

if you are going to pay into an extra policy, you should be covered for the entire period of it, regardless of how much your purchase takes a dump on you, otherwise they should just charge you for the time you did have the policy, prorate it...

yeah, you should definitely register any console you own these days, ps3, wii, 360, whatever.

not only for repair purposes, but if you ever get it stolen, you can report it to both micrsoft (or sony, or nintendo) as well as to the authorities...

you have very little chance of really finding a stolen console, but if there were ever an argument over it, you have proof that it was yours...

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Eh... Just an FYI 1 in every 3, yes 33%... of every XBOX360 breaks, time to call Microsoft and have them fix it.

Sorry man.

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

PRO-BOWLER!
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

Quote:

Gee, thanks for the help

You're very welcome. The problem here is that you are trying to fix the symptoms not the disease. The disease is the X-Box, the symptoms are the system breaking down. The only true solution to your problem is to get a PS3.

And if I knew anything about what you were trying to do, I would help, but I don't, so I won't.

^^^ exactly what he said....

Make the PS3 your primary system, thats what I did, then I went and bought a 360 for $170 off ebay, and if it doesnt work ill just have microsoft fix it.

PRO-BOWLER!
A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
I would see if it was still covered by Microsoft. If its not, wrap your x-box in towels and leave it on. This will cause it to overheat thus making it three red ring on and thus it will be covered and then you can get it fixed for free.

"I only had a couple of weeks to train, but I'm glad it happened because it gave me a chance to be a Browns player," Bell said.
O
OSU Offline
All Pro
All Pro
O
Quote:

LMAO

- Very good advice Andra Davis

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Should have gotten the Ps3.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Yo Lee call 1-800-4my-xbox, they have a warranty program. If you didnt fill out and send in your warranty information just tell the person on the line you bout it within the last 6 months, and give them the serial #. Theyll put it under warranty for you, then theyll send you a box. Send the 360 to tghem and youll have it back in 4 weeks.....

by the way mine started doing the exact same thing, it ruined 2 copies of madden 08 and a copy of NBA live 07.... Im currently working with X box to get reimbursed

they have a good warranty program (lord knows they need it) theyll take care of you

<rant on> And for all you PS3 humpers...your comments about how 360 sux are not needed. youre showing your ignorance. When people are on here asking for help about thier very expensive broken machine, they dont want to hear your smart assed remark. They want someone thatll point them in the right direction to get thier 300-600$ machine fixed.Mommy and daddy may have helped you buy both your systems but they arent free,...so if you dont know anything about the 360 why comment? <rant off>

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It didn't seem to bother 337 so I don't see why it should bother you.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
because everytime anyone has an issue with X-box 360 there YOU are spouting off, not helping at all...its foolish and ignorant and I felt it was time for me to point it out

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
I mean even Free agent offered something..... you brought absolutely nothing to the table

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Quote:

I would see if it was still covered by Microsoft. If its not, wrap your x-box in towels and leave it on. This will cause it to overheat thus making it three red ring on and thus it will be covered and then you can get it fixed for free.

itll be covered, Microsoft is having so many issues, they are pretty much covering everything for the next year or so

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really don't recall every saying anything like that in a 360 thread before. And since when is joking around illegal? I have almost never gotten into the 360 PS3 debats and now I make one joke and all of a sudden I'm foolish, ignorant, and bring nothing to the table.

S
Legend
Legend
S
i own both, so i can just sit back and laugh at the fanboys fight

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
It's all good man. And Rabid, good lookin bro

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

<rant on> And for all you PS3 humpers...your comments about how 360 sux are not needed. youre showing your ignorance. When people are on here asking for help about thier very expensive broken machine, they dont want to hear your smart assed remark. They want someone thatll point them in the right direction to get thier 300-600$ machine fixed.Mommy and daddy may have helped you buy both your systems but they arent free,...so if you dont know anything about the 360 why comment? <rant off>

You do know that 1 of every 3 xbox 360 breaks? It's becoming a joke, and to be honest I've heard more people say "Should have gotten a PS3" that are 360 owners lately.

To be honest, I work at a game store and when a customer asked which XBOX model was the best I said "The PS3" and me and my manager laughed but of course went on to help him select the appropriate system.

360 has great games just an absolutely terrible system.

Last edited by WinslowBodden; 07/22/08 10:38 PM.

PRO-BOWLER!
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

Quote:

You do know that 1 of every 3 xbox 360 breaks? It's becoming a joke, and to be honest I've heard more people say "Should have gotten a PS3" that are 360 owners lately.

To be honest, I work at a game store and when a customer asked which XBOX model was the best I said "The PS3" and me and my manager laughed but of course went on to help him select the appropriate system.

360 has great games just an absolutely terrible system.

Oh... you're one of THOSE guys at the game store
I keed.. kinda...
Although the failure rate IS too high, it isn't 30%, it's 16%.
And if you're buying the system to play games more than watch movies, the library for the 360 is inarguably better for the average gamer. Obviously, if someone HAS to have Halo, or HAS to have MGS, then there isn't a real choice to be made. They have to go with the console that has their favorite franchise. But if someone just looking for the better library overall, if there isn't just one exclusive franchise that they HAVE to have..Then the overall better game library is that of the 360.

Of course the best option is both systems. (Or all three! Or either and a Wii.. although my Wii has been gathering quite a bit of dust lately.) But that's not feasible for many people. If the exclusives you're interested in are only on 360, than the whole, "get a PS3" especially doesn't hold water. My grandma's VCR will play Gears of War just as well as a PS3. Why get a system that can't play half the games one wants to play? It's better to take a chance at the possibility of having some temporary down time while it's replaced than to not get one in the first place and NEVER play those games at all...

Even if the failure rate WAS 30%.. even if it was 40%... that still means it is more probable that yours will not have issues.

S
Legend
Legend
S
my new xbox no longer sounds like a boeing when loading a disc

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think I have a solution. Buy a PS3, and your gaming system won't crap out on you.

You get what you pay for.

I've seen numerous threads and talked to numerous people who've had their 360's crap out in multiple ways.

It's a shame, it's a solid system with a great line up, but I think it's a raw deal for the people buying the system. Another reason 360 sales are high, people have had to buy 2 systems.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gaming/xbox-360-failure-rate-30-says-retailers-271487.php 30%
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/200...lectornics.html 30%

Ur article was on a sample amount in the hundreds it says, not overall bought.

Anyways, I sort of agree that 360's library is better, but not for long, the PS3 is going to have just as good of a lineup by the end of the year...

Also dont try to argue against me that 360 is better or whatever because I just bought a 360, I love the games on the system I just don't like how the system is built.

Last edited by WinslowBodden; 07/25/08 02:41 AM.

PRO-BOWLER!
Y
2nd String
2nd String
Y
Quote:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gaming/xbox-360-failure-rate-30-says-retailers-271487.php 30%
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/200...lectornics.html 30%

Did you happen to read your second article? I believe it actually disputes your claim of 30%.

"However, as an industry, consumer electronic failure rates over 3 years commonly exceed 15 percent. Like others, we have read the failure rate for Xbox is 30 percent or higher. We haven't seen that yet, but it is clearly plausible that this 16 percent failure rate we see will increase with claims over time."

There's no doubt the 360 was a poorly conceived design. I guess it really says something about the game library that so many people are content to buy multiple xbox's and deal with the breakdowns rather than getting a PS3, which has LESS of a chance of breaking down.

I'm in the same boat. The PS3 game library, outside of maybe 2-3 games, does little for me. The 360 now has many games I'd like to play, not to mention the entire Live Arcade library, which I think is great. Because of the issues with the hardware, and my huge backlog of games, I've been able to wait on purchasing one. Next month, the 360 will roll-out it's next hardware revision (codenamed Jasper) which will shrink the GPU dye size to 65nm, thus eliminating the heating issue which caused all the RRoD malfunctions.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I think I have a solution. Buy a PS3, and your gaming system won't crap out on you.

I've seen numerous threads and talked to numerous people who've had their 360's crap out in multiple ways.

It's a shame, it's a solid system with a great line up, but I think it's a raw deal for the people buying the system. Another reason 360 sales are high, people have had to buy 2 systems.

i haven't had to buy 2 systems...

microsoft has been great about fixing/replacing consoles that have crapped out...

mine was out of warranty too, and they still replaced it with a brand new console, no charge, and i'm now covered under a new warranty.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

microsoft has been great about fixing/replacing consoles that have crapped out...

mine was out of warranty too, and they still replaced it with a brand new console, no charge, and i'm now covered under a new warranty.

They have to replace it because so many of them have screwed up. They have no choice.

That's the issue I'm talking about, the problems with them. They extended the warranty, but many people were left out and had to buy new ones. They shouldn't be making such a unfinished product that their owners end up either shipping it back or end up buying new ones. (or buying a different console altogether, as that has happened as well)

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They have to replace it because so many of them have screwed up. They have no choice.

That's the issue I'm talking about, the problems with them. They extended the warranty, but many people were left out and had to buy new ones. They shouldn't be making such a unfinished product that their owners end up either shipping it back or end up buying new ones. (or buying a different console altogether, as that has happened as well)

it's really their only downfall, i don't argue that at all

what i'm saying is most people have had their xbox either fixed or replaced for no charge.

i'm on record as saying that microsoft's products have always lacked durability...

aside from that, it is the best console on the market right now.

i had problems with the first xbox as well, and i actually had to pay for that to be fixed, their customer service has improved 500% (at least) since the first xbox was their centerpiece.

2nd String
2nd String
I had the exavt same problem with my 360 reading the discs. I was under warranty and I sent it back and Microsoft sent me a brand new Xbox within 3 weeks. If you are under warranty, they'll over it.

"Awww Nawww Big Slimdog!!!"
-Eminem, "B**** Please Pt. II"
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I had the exavt same problem with my 360 reading the discs. I was under warranty and I sent it back and Microsoft sent me a brand new Xbox within 3 weeks. If you are under warranty, they'll over it.

even if you are out, you are fine...

mine was a first generation console, and it was out of warranty, i got a brand new one sent to mine...

they were really good about it, i can't say the same when i had to pay 80 dollars to have the original xbox fixed....

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

Did you happen to read your second article? I believe it actually disputes your claim of 30%.

My point was I wasn't just making stuff up, I had actually read it before

PRO-BOWLER!
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Thanks a lot Captain Obvious Actually, I have asked for a PS3 for Christmas this year. Whats going to happen is the wife will buy it for me,,using my Credit Card lol I always have wanted both systems.

All is good with my new 360 now. I have been playing a lot of NCAA and Bad Company since I got it earlier in the week. It was so weird that my old one broke. It worked flawlessly and all the sudden it started making that noise.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have the Bad Company demo. Solid game, seemed like it'd be fun online. I used to play Battlefield 1942 back in the day until my computer started getting to be a POS.

Well, when your wifey gets you a PS3 this Christmas, we'll have to shoot each other up online.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fantasy & Gaming XBoX 360 Problem

Link Copied to Clipboard