Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
All Pro
All Pro
Im poor as hell but Id give blood and pay if I had to also.

[Linked Image from img.villagephotos.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Clicking an ad won't provide anyone your email address.

I don't KNOW that.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Can someone educate me on what an impression (vs. a click) is?

As far as paying for the site, I'm first in favor of the donation idea by DawgMichelle. If that fails, then if a subscription is what it will take to keep it going, then that's what has to be done. I don't know how much it costs to keep this site going, but I wonder if enough people visit/post that it would matter. Seems other Browns message boards have 10x the amount of traffic as this one - which surprises me since I believe this is the best one.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think it would be best to let people pay what they can and keep it open and free for anyone who cant afford to pay.

Joe Thomas #73
A
ApJ Offline
2nd String
2nd String
A
i probably wouldn't donate. I know there are free forums available for people to set up for any use, so I don't really see the need to pay for a url address when you could use invisionfree and accomplish the same thing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Clicking an ad won't provide anyone your email address.

I don't KNOW that.

I know that.

what clicking on an ad will do is place a cookie on your computer (for about 30 days) which will allow companies like mine to place relevant ads to your computer based upon you IP address along with similar ads based on sites you choose to visit. if you dont' click we dont' track your ip address.

You have to submit your email address or sign up for a free email from gmail hotmail or yahoo etc. in that case... yes we have the technology and you are at the mercy and you can get relevent ads based on what is in your email.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Can someone educate me on what an impression (vs. a click) is?

As far as paying for the site, I'm first in favor of the donation idea by DawgMichelle. If that fails, then if a subscription is what it will take to keep it going, then that's what has to be done. I don't know how much it costs to keep this site going, but I wonder if enough people visit/post that it would matter. Seems other Browns message boards have 10x the amount of traffic as this one - which surprises me since I believe this is the best one.

an impressin is free for PPC ads. the clicks generate revenue for websites and search engines. Banner/display ads are considered creative ads which cost money based (to the advertiser) on price per 1,000 and generate revenue the same way.

Anyone clicking on a PPC ad more than once in hope to charge the advertiser more money or to bring more revenue to a website is wasting their time and might not know that there are things in place to protect the advertiser. You can only charge an adertiser once in a 24 hour peroid based upon your IP address.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm confused What's the deal between donating/subscribing and the ads/clicking on the ads?

I asked if the site gets money from clicking on the ads and was replied no. If that is the case how do the ads and donating/subscribing inter-relate? Guess I jsut don't get the question.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'm confused What's the deal between donating/subscribing and the ads/clicking on the ads?

I asked if the site gets money from clicking on the ads and was replied no. If that is the case how do the ads and donating/subscribing inter-relate? Guess I jsut don't get the question.

see post above for difference.

if you dont' want ads all over the site you can subscruibe if you don't care... it's not as much of a big deal. you can still donate though

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It still doesn't make sense to me...you say it doesn't generate revenue if we click, then you say it does. Eh...another reason to want to be able to donate.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Quote:

The ads do generate revenue, but it is not enough to cover the expenses of running the site that we are all accustomed to. As someone noted, we could run a "free" message board but this one has the look and feel of the original official board that many of us started on and loved before they changed it. In addition, there are things here that weren't available there and wouldn't be available on a free site.

Also, PPE is talking about adding even more perks to improve the community; these are unknown for sure right now so I won't elaborate.

A
ApJ Offline
2nd String
2nd String
A
free site allows you to use the same skin and even have an arcade. I know this because I've messed with them and have said features. You can upload custom graemlins/smiley faces too.

ApJ #345961 01/18/09 06:05 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But, most importantly, do they have post jumpers?

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
Yes they do, it's not a unique feature to this software.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hmmm, that's not what I heard when the Browns switched to their new board. Maybe it was just their choice of host.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
the ads that generate money when you click on them are PPC ads. the ads that are on this site are not PPC. The ads that are on this site are Display banner ads those are based upon how many times they are seen...

if anyone really wants to help the site...

click the refresh button about 50 times. that will do more for the site than clicking.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
vBulletin will do it. It will take you to your last post read, the last post you posted, the start of the thread or the end of the thread, all dependent on which button you press. It will show you a list of the new posts in a forum or the new posts in the entire board since your last visit. You have a quick editor at the bottom of the thread so you can reply without having to click on the last post or you can reply to an individual. It won't automatically quote everything in a post so you don't get a mile long post with 10 quotes in it but you can select as many threads you want to quote, called multi-quote. So it's the users option at that point. It's pretty much the best forum software out. Of course it costs $200, but as a previous owner, it's worth it.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The ads do generate revenue, but it is not enough to cover the expenses of running the site that we are all accustomed to. As someone noted, we could run a "free" message board but this one has the look and feel of the original official board that many of us started on and loved before they changed it. In addition, there are things here that weren't available there and wouldn't be available on a free site.

Making the site subscription also guarantees no trolls, or at least a lot less i would imagine.

I've been a committed member for a long time, may be 7 or 8 years with these same people on the same formated board. It was a tragedy when the original board became Browns Chat or whatever.

I've seen people like Purp, Eotab, Daman, Peen, Shep, Pitt, Diam, Vers (what happened to that guy) among many others forever. It's people like you guys that keep this board great.

As long as you guys stay, I continue to participate.

I will pay for a pay site, and I imagine that it would be mostly 18 and under people that won't be able to pay the 2.50 a month or less price........ I don't make that much money, I'd rather not pay 5 dollars a month, and I would prob think twice, but still would.

I don't need any perks, although I'd love the admanager to go away. Just keep the board looking the way it does, and make it so that I don't lose those really long posts that I type when they say "this post is not valid" and then sometimes i can't get it back (which seems to happen sometimes for some reason). That would be great

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I just kind of skimmed over the thread, but I thought I'd trow out what one of the Cobra websites I use does. The site has a lot more users, but it might work here too. The site is ffcobra - here is the link to how they do memberships:
http://www.ffcobra.com/membership/

They have a yearly ($75) and a host of other "lifetime" memberships. There are some forums that are restricted based on being a member, but for the most part the site is totally free if you want it to be.

You get a little message below your avatar about what level supporting member you are too.

Just an idea; I'm willing to pay and will, but I don't think it should be forced. I really like how ffcobra does it. My .02

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know.....mixed emotions here.

O&B has been a pay site for it's restricted content, but it's message boards are open, and as far as pay sites, I guess they are about as good as any...I don't know though as I have never paid for internet content on a web site basis.

To be honest, I don't know what perks could be offered here that would entice me to join any more than O&B offers that haven't enticed me to join their site.

I guess where I am going is I don't see myself paying for a message board.

I have been here for a while, like almost all of the personalities, and feel I am one of the many personalities who help make this board what it is, but I just don't know I will join a pay site. Ask me for some money and I have one attitude,,,,tell me I have to contribute and I have another.

Just being honest.

But who knows.....you all sort it out and then I will be left with a choice even if the choice is my second choice.....another board I have managed to pop out 3000 plus posts over the last year, year and a half......but as far as boards go....this is home for me.

I still think opening a store might solve your problems. I buy Browns and Gators stuff every year....it doesn't matter to me where I buy it and doesn't really matter much if I pay a few more bucks supporting the site I like v some other place.

I think those can be set up being a sales agent so it's not like you have to fill your basement full of gear and invest a sum of money.

Keep us posted.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I have been here for a while, like almost all of the personalities, and feel I am one of the many personalities who help make this board what it is, but I just don't know I will join a pay site. Ask me for some money and I have one attitude,,,,tell me I have to contribute and I have another.

We need you here Peen..............

You spend so much of your life here and a low price like they're offering can't be that bad.

I don't know you, so don't take it as if I'm judging your life, but save the two minutes a day you spend clicking banners, and just pay the cheap subscription..............Let's say it's 5 bucks a month (which was the highest number on the poll), divide that by 30, that's like 17 cents a day. Wouldn't you rather cough up the 17 cents and stop clicking the ads?

I say you stay because I enjoy having you here

But in other news is there anyway we can pay without giving you a direct credit card number? That is something that does matter to me.........Like PayPal or whatever?

As for a site store......... that's where i go cheap. My Browns stuff comes from gifts and stuff. I wouldn't buy anything............it's just not what i do.

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 01/18/09 10:26 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Post deleted by Referee6

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Quote:

Just keep the board looking the way it does, and make it so that I don't lose those really long posts that I type when they say "this post is not valid" and then sometimes i can't get it back (which seems to happen sometimes for some reason). That would be great

Regarding the "this post is not valid" message you get: The reason it happens on long posts is because they time-out after a period. I think it's five minutes. You have to keep that page active even if it means hitting "Continue" every few minutes whether you're ready or not. When you are finally ready hit "Submit" to submit your post.

A habit I've gotten into also is to click the cursor in the text box then hit, CTRL + A, (copy all), before hitting "Continue". That way if something weird happens I still have my post copies onto my clipboard and can then paste that, (CTRL + V), into WordPad or some other word processor to save it. Then get my way back to where I was and copy/paste my post into the text box and continue.

The main reason subscriptions/donations are being discussed is because the server needs an upgrade. That means expenses for hardware. It's not just an offer of no ads or special perks in place of your money. It's not that Purp is hoping to get rich off a bunch of DawgSuckers. The reason is that equipment needs to be purchased to improve the quality of the site so the slow board syndrome and the dreaded glitches are kept to a minumum or eleviated altogether.

In my opinion, Purp has been totally bankrolling us from the inception of DawgTalkers. He saved us from the horrific BrownsChat and kept our origninal board intact. I'm sure he did it with whatever hardware he had on hand. Still, DawgTalkers was up and running before DawgTalk even went out of commission. We never suffered what we all felt was going to be a big loss.

Now, with the need of new hardware, I feel it only right if I donate or subscribe to the site in order to alleviate some of the burden from Purp's pocket while keeping my favorite board. With subscriptions, the funds would trickle in over time and allow the site to pay for itself on a continuous basis.

If all I got for my payment was to keep the board up I'd be happy with it. If, in the form of a perk, the ads would go away so the board would be clean like it used to be, that would be great!

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
That's the problem about the exclusive content for this site. My Cobra site gives direct forums to post messages directly to some of the top builders in the country. I'm not sure what could be offered here.

With that said, I'd still be willing to pay $50 to help keep the site up.

I did like the idea the "dollars needed" countdown at the top of the screen, with something like a PayPal donation link by it.

#gmstrong
O
1st String
1st String
O
I just think that it should be completely optional on whether people donate or not because there might be some people who can't afford to pay, and I would hate to see anybody left out. I am sure that most everyone would have no problem donating some money, but there are probably some who cannot afford it.

[Linked Image from i161.photobucket.com]Thanks NaTaS
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope."
O
1st String
1st String
O
Quote:

I did like the idea the "dollars needed" countdown at the top of the screen, with something like a PayPal donation link by it.

I like that idea alot too

"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope."
Legend
Legend
Let me clarify something that seems to be getting missed by some people here....

[Just using yours as an example Peen as it was the last one I saw]

Quote:

Ask me for some money and I have one attitude,,,,tell me I have to contribute and I have another.

I think some folks have confused the issue a little.... Nobody is going to be told they have to do anything and nobody is going to lose free access to the forums if they don't subscribe.
People have asked for a way to help the site in the past, the best I've come up with other than just donations (which I want to avoid) is this... which is to be able to choose to pay a very minimal monthy amount for a "subscription" of sorts, and in return you would get to have the site Ad Free. Call it joining a "Site Supporter" club if you want... whatever... but nobody is going to be forced into having to do it to use the forums. If you don't want to do it, then don't... you may miss out on some other things, but you will still have full use of the forums just as you do now.

The reason I prefer this over Donations is that this way you are receiving something for the money... it is an exchange and an agreement. A donation is not and in the event that corrective action was required from a Ref (perhaps you didn't have any coffee yet one day and a Ref deleted, moved or merged a post of yours) you might get all huffy and get a resentment about having donated. Unfortunately, I think we all know that this scenario is all too probable. Things get heated enough at times with personalities on here... we don't need the extra heat that would come from that sort of thing. With a subscription, I don't see that sort of thing as being as much of an issue.

Also, the Rules would still be The Rules with the "subscription". There would be no change of rules, no relaxing of rules... the conduct that is expected now would still be expected. If you do something that would earn you a timeout, that would be on you - just as it is now.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
1st String
1st String
O
What types of differences on the board would there be for those that do subscribe? Examples?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think having a store selling Browns merchandise is a interesting idea. I know you partner with a distribution company and basically host a catalog so to speak. My buddy does something like that on his site and he gets a monthly payment for having the store and a % of what he sells. I mean that is of course not a solve all thing, but an idea.
Also I do like the idea of a marketplace where people can donate things to sell for the site, or a place where people can sell things and have to give the site a listing fee plus a % of the final price. That would be fun.

Our honor defend, we will fight to the end, for OHIO! GO BUCKS!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What types of differences on the board would there be for those that do subscribe? Examples?

He just said,

By subscribing you'd get the site AdManager Free.

That and the knowledge of knowing that you help contribute to the site having a fast-reliable server.

Count me as down PPE. And I agree with the donations thing, DawgMichelle said that it shouldn't matter, the rules are the rules, but it's just not a perfect world and people will get pissed, and that helps create a situation where you/mods don't feel guilty for doing the job of enforcing the rules (which thank god we have). Just find a way to make it so that I can pay the monthly fee without giving you my credit card number and I'm in.

Legend
Legend
I'm not certain of everything yet... but the #1 difference would be no Ads.

• Everything else will definitely remain as-is... by that I mean that I am considering making the site Extras that I've added - the Chat Room, Arcade, News Feeds and Image Uploads - either limited for free use or subscriber only.

• Custom Avatars would definitely be on the list of additions for subscribers (though there would probably be some limitations such as no animated ones).
  • I will be adding a Photo Gallery module for people to be able to upload and share photos
  • I'm toying with the idea of (read as "I'm undecided completely on this one") making the profile page more customizable... kinda like a MySpace thing.. where each user can have a more personalized presence.
  • I am also looking at hopefully doing a monthly drawing/giveaway of some sort... probably something along the lines of a gift card, gas card or maybe some Browns gear. Obviously, however, if there are only a handful of subscribers, this sort of thing isn't very realistic. If there are enough people to make this realistic, however, then this lets the site give back.

Basically, we're talking about a dollar or two a month, so it's not really going to be anything earth-shattering.... but they are things that could/would make the site more enjoyable & functional for some folks while giving them a way to help support the site.

• Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
    Dawg Talker
    I think having a donation button is a better option than charging a flat fee. Give the user the ability to choose how much is 'enough'. Keeps it fair to everyone.

This thread is a good example - some said they would pay $10/yr and others said $50/yr. Well, if you limit the option to $10/yr, you just gave up an extra $40/person that was willing to do $50.

One site that I belong to gives those that pay more room for their avators and signatures. It's not much, but something.

[Linked Image from i45.tinypic.com]
    Legend
    Legend
    Quote:

Just find a way to make it so that I can pay the monthly fee without giving you my credit card number and I'm in.

ALL transactions will be going through PayPal so I will not have to deal directly with any money. They will handle all of that. This is for both security reasons as well as simplicity.
    PayPal accepts pretty much any form of payment that you can imagine.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
    Dawg Talker
    What does the site cost to operate?
    Are you now looking to profit from it?
    It's all good if that is the case, it's your MB, just wanting to know if people subscribe for x amount of dollars, is it for only to maintain the board or is the site becoming a for profit side business for you?

[b]USNavyDawg (Ret.)
    [Linked Image from i87.photobucket.com]
    Legend
    Legend
    I'm not looking to profit, but I am looking to stop losing money like I have for about 11 of the last 12 months.

As for the "it becoming a business" thing... it essentially already is one; the IRS forces me to treat it as one because of the Ads.... for which Google sends me a 1099 form each year.

Browns is the Browns

O
    1st String
    1st String
    O
    What I think might be a good idea is to have the 2 dollars a month subscription fee, and then have a separate thing where people can donate money for xtras. For example, if someone wants to donate more then their 2 dollars a month then that can be donated separately and then when it builds up enough we could have contests to give away things like tickets, shirts, ect...just a thought

O
    Legend
    Legend
    O
    WOW! I missed the google ads at the bottom of the page! These guys have to stop clicking! If they are trying to help you and someone from Google sees these threads... YOU CAN KISS YOUR ADWORDS ACCOUNT GOODBYE!

As for the 1099 you're getting, If you set up with a Canadian or Aussie CPA Network you don't get a 1099!

Google adsense sucks for earning potential anyway.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/19/09 02:29 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
    O
    Legend
    Legend
    O
    Another idea might be a monthly 50-50 raffle! Or a Jersey of the month raffle...

Just disclaim that 100% of the proceeds go to providing this site for free.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/19/09 02:35 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
    E
    All Pro
    All Pro
    E
    The life blood of any message board is new people joining. Undoubtedly new readers would have to be able to view the boards just the same as the subscribing members for them to make an informed decision.

I prefer the idea of donations. A counter with a 'this board needs another $76 this month to cover costs' is my vote.

Legend
    Legend
    As I have said before donations, donations, donations. Stop worrying about people not getting anything for their donation. They are getting to use the website, which sure as hell should be a good enough reason to donate. People can donate 1 buck a year, or 1,000 bucks a year. Whatever they can afford, whenever they can afford it.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
    Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus Site Subscriptions

Link Copied to Clipboard