Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I see what you're saying. What you said initially didn't read that way at all, though, so the break down is much appreciated.

How, in your opinion, would you relate it to the Dolphins/Jason Taylor situation last year, in that Parcells does have a resume that commands respect from the get-go, but the situation was also initiated by him? And how does Sparano factor into that, at all, especially as it relates to our situation?

Also, I don't necessarily agree that "if they had been right, then they wouldn't need to be reaching out to Rogers now" (to paraphrase) is necessarily true. It can simply be damage control as much as anything. I just hope its not viewed as a sign of weakness by others, in that they think they can complain about something trivial in order to get their demands heard.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Then like Bellyache, Mangini better win quick, because the players will quit on him very quickly if he doesn't. Then he'll be out of a job, and we'll be back to square one.

--------------------

That is the bottom line,period.

I see your perspective now, but still think the players should respect the coach and then earn their own respect. I understand that that is not the way of today, and it is a sad statement for professional sports.

Good debate though

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Mangini may be the greatest thing for Cleveland since sliced bread. But I've heard this song 3 times before in the last 10 years. Pardon me if I'm skeptical.

This context seemed to imply that that is how I felt.

Quote:

But to be truthful he is not the guy I would have hired were I the owner

There in lies your bias.Laugh all you want, it was your words.

I agree Rogers bust his butt, but I was speaking about the team in general, maybe you should go reread that. Besides, he worked hard for RAC, but that was RAC this is Mangini. I'm not one to say he will get lazy because of this situation, that's unfair judgement. But the team as a whole underachieved and Mangini, whether you like him or not owes them nothing.

You having a negative attitude has nothing to do with disagreeing or not. You present a forgone conclusion about Mangini when you write, I just can't overlook it when it is so evident. You deserve your opinion, I was just commenting on it.

If giving the guy the benefit of the doubt is "rah-rah", then I guess that's me. But I have no set opinions on Mangini's success, I have nothing to base one on, but I do not think he deserves the spanking the press gives him over Rogers non incident. Rogers could have just as easily reached out to him to rectify the situation, but apparently he feels he's more deserving than the head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I think it was poor form to tell him to not bother showing up if his weight was too heavy.

Where did that come from? I have read everything I could about this, and I've never heard that anywhere. Someone has made that up IMO.

Last edited by eryze19akaBT58; 03/01/09 07:36 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You can edit your sig now...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was from one of the earlier reports. I am pretty sure it was from Grossi or Mary Kay. I would look for the lik but don't know how to look at the archives on Cleveland.com. Which is why I prefaced it with "I believe..." to indicate it isn't necessarily fact but rather something I remember reading.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Found the link for you.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1235727100263410.xml&coll=2

Cleveland Browns' Shaun Rogers reportedly wants out in part because of weight mandate
Friday, February 27, 2009 Mary Kay CabotPlain Dealer Reporter
Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers has formally asked to be traded or released by the Browns and isn't likely to change his mind, a source close to Rogers said.

Browns coach Eric Mangini has been trying to call the disgruntled tackle, but it's not yet known if the two have talked. Chances are, it wouldn't do much good anyway.

A Browns source said neither Rogers nor his representative has made any demands. Mangini did not immediately respond to a request to be interviewed.

Advertisement

Rogers is miffed not just about being snubbed by Mangini on two occasions, but also by a directive he received from an unknown club official regarding the off-season weight pro- gram.

Despite playing all last season at his required weight -- which was listed at 350 --Rogers was told by the Browns not to bother showing up for the off-season program on March 16 unless he was at a prescribed weight.

The mandate angered Rogers because he was in compliance with his weight all last season. What's more, he played on a sore knee much of the year and with a sore shoulder for most of the second half.

He left one game with a neck stinger and returned, never missing any time because of the injur- ies.

Rogers came to Cleveland with a reputation for his weight ballooning in the second halves of seasons, especially in 2007 when it was said that he ran out of gas. That never happened here. In fact, Rogers played some of his best ball down the stretch in 2008, despite the fact the Browns were out of the playoff hunt and in disarray.

Rogers is also upset that the team failed to reach out to him even after they knew he was miffed about the snubs and the weight issue. The club knew that there was a sense of urgency on Rogers' part, but failed to respond until he asked to be released.

Only now is Mangini trying to contact Rogers, and it may very well be too late.

Rogers' agent, Kennard McGuire, made it clear Wednesday that Rogers' issues have nothing to do with money or his contract. In fact, he'd reportedly rather be released than earn the $15 million he's still owed, including a $6 million option bonus due next month.

The Browns would take a $9.7 million salary cap hit if they cut Rogers, according to NFL.com, but they have said they have no intentions of releasing him.

The unfortunate part - for Rogers and the Browns - is that Rogers was rejuvenated in Cleveland and had a Pro Bowl season after virtually being run out of Detroit, where he was viewed as lazy and underachieving. Rogers also rehabilitated his public image here.

Advertisement

He was the best player the Browns had on defense last season and the cornerstone of the 3-4 defense.

It appears now that Rogers would rather play elsewhere than deal with the new regime.

For his part, Mangini has said he values Rogers highly, wants him on the team and never meant to snub or show disrespect to him. It's not known if the weight mandate came from Mangini or someone else.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

mcabot@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

You can edit your sig now...

Ha! Had forgotten about that.

It was good luck though regarding Winslow, so maybe I'll let it stick

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

How, in your opinion, would you relate it to the Dolphins/Jason Taylor situation last year, in that Parcells does have a resume that commands respect from the get-go, but the situation was also initiated by him? And how does Sparano factor into that, at all, especially as it relates to our situation?

I'm going strictly from memory here, but I believe Taylor had been making noise about wanting out anyway. The difference is that Taylor was viewed as a declining player on a rebuilding team, while Rogers was viewed as a player in his prime who was brought to Cleveland to be part of a rebuild. To me, those are two very different situations. As it turned out, the Dolphins made out like bandits because Taylor gave the 'Skins absolutely nothing for the millions and draft selection they gave up. Sparano played very little part in all that IMHO.

Quote:

Also, I don't necessarily agree that "if they had been right, then they wouldn't need to be reaching out to Rogers now" (to paraphrase) is necessarily true. It can simply be damage control as much as anything.

Interesting choice of words, since "damage control" is what an earlier reaching out by Mangini would have been Doing it sooner would have averted this mess, which is exactly what this is all about

By the way, regarding the weight thing, am I one of the few that remembers Rogers had a weight clause in his contract?

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

You having a negative attitude has nothing to do with disagreeing or not. You present a forgone conclusion about Mangini when you write, I just can't overlook it when it is so evident.

Exactly what foregone conclusion do I present? I said he might be great but that I've heard that before. In fact, I've heard it about every coach or assistant coach we've hired in the last 10 years. I'm skeptical....sue me.

Quote:

Mangini, whether you like him or not owes them nothing.

And with that attitude I'm guessing that's exactly what he'll get from the players. Nothing. I understand you think the players should cower in his presence. But players aren't like that anymore. Generally speaking you have to give a little to get a lot. I'm not suggesting he draw each player a hot bath after practice. But treating them like men might draw more out of them than treating them like cows. Ask Tom Coughlin. I don't think it's a coincidence that as soon as he stopped being a drill sargeant every minute of the day they rolled to a Super Bowl.

Even Mangini's mentor admits he did things wrong when he was in Cleveland. Once he tempered his ways Belichick became much more successful. Especially with the press.

I have no bias as Far as Mangini is concerned. I want him to be a winner. It's what I wanted with Palmer and Crennel, too. At this point I just have my doubts that he'll be able to do that consistantly. Hopefully, he proves me wrong.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
C
Poser
Poser
C
J/C....it's very humorous to watch all these posts about how Mangini is a tyrant, Mangini has an ego, Mangini can't get along with players.....all based on one immature player with a history of immaturity being upset because he was reminded of his weight requirements....something that he has had a problem with in the past.

If Gini was as so many ignorantly (and I am not using that as an insult, but the actual definition of the word because they have no knowledge of what Mangini is like) label him, why is it that every player save Favre (and even he recanted in his farewell statement) said nothing but positive things about him? Why is it that a FA from the Jets planned a visit to Cleveland to play for such a tyrant? Why is it other players that had played for him have had glowing statements about him that aren't with the Jets?

It's so comical it's almost sad. Some didn't like the hiring and they will throw any log on the fire they can, whether it will burn or not.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

It's so comical it's almost sad. Some didn't like the hiring and they will throw any log on the fire they can, whether it will burn or not.

So true. The sad thing is every move we've made so far has had some good logic behind it.

C
Poser
Poser
C
Not only that, Ammo, but it Gini used sound logic in dealing with situations, as well. It is completely logical to comment on Rogers publicly to dispel the notion that Gini didn't respect him or like him as a player. A public praising of him as a player, wishing him luck, and talking about how he could get unbiased informatoin from a Jets player IN PUBLIC is a logical way to show Rogers and everyone else that he is valued. Also, explaining what happened at the banquet in public does the same thing. The only thing Gini did wrong was incorrectly assume that Rogers would understand doing things logically.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I was gonna reply my thoughts until i read your last two posts....they are my feelings to a tee.

Gini has had pretty much nothing but prasie from his former players and how he will succeed....but all you hear from this site (not everyone) that he is a hardtail and smug like Bill and players dont respond.

All i have read or seen is the opposite. ONE player with his feelings on his sleeve FEELs slighted and all of a sudden....Gini has no clue to what it is to be a HC in the NFL.

JMO....

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Not only that, Ammo, but it Gini used sound logic in dealing with situations, as well. It is completely logical to comment on Rogers publicly to dispel the notion that Gini didn't respect him or like him as a player. A public praising of him as a player, wishing him luck, and talking about how he could get unbiased informatoin from a Jets player IN PUBLIC is a logical way to show Rogers and everyone else that he is valued. Also, explaining what happened at the banquet in public does the same thing. The only thing Gini did wrong was incorrectly assume that Rogers would understand doing things logically.

One more thing that has really impressed me so far...

From Day One...Mangini's had a plan and he hasn't wavered from it. He wasn't lying when he says he has a "clear and distinct vision of a football team."

Sometimes I don't think our previous regime thought that. Collectively the talent was there but the pieces didn't fit the puzzle.

Legend
Legend
It hasn't been that long since he was named head coach....

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

It is completely logical to comment on Rogers publicly to dispel the notion that Gini didn't respect him or like him as a player. A public praising of him as a player, wishing him luck, and talking about how he could get unbiased informatoin from a Jets player IN PUBLIC is a logical way to show Rogers and everyone else that he is valued. Also, explaining what happened at the banquet in public does the same thing. The only thing Gini did wrong was incorrectly assume that Rogers would understand doing things logically

I could not disagree more B ... to give Jeannie a free pass here is just as lame as the folks that are roasting him ....

he could do everything u said ... and thats all good and a good step .... .. but the BEST THING to do ... was to pick up the phone and call him ....

there is ABSOLUTELY NO LOGICAL REASON for him not to pick up the phone and try and talk to him ... NONE .. and I know what your going to say ... so save it ... there is ABSOLUTLY NO REASON for him not to pick up the phone and call him .....

NONE ... its dumb ....

with that said ... I have never and still do not blame him for this .. it was not his fault .. but to say he handled it flawlessly or correctly is just WRONG ....

a phone call to your disgruntled D anchor is not setting a BAD PRECEDENT or sumptin others would not understand ... SORRY ... but thats just a lame ass excuse for saying Jeannie handled it the right way ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
According to someone at the banquet, Rogers walked by as Mangini was talking to Tribe manager Eric Wedge. Mangini's back was to Rogers and he didn't see the 360-pounder. Mangini did not intentionally slight Rogers. He was not even aware Rogers was supposed to be at the banquet, as the coach made a brief appearance to hand out an award and then went back to the office, where he was in the midst of assembling his new coaching staff.

So apparently Rodgers felt Mang should seen this huge planet sized shadow behind him and turn and greet him..well now the facts are out...

The moment Mangini heard Rogers was upset that the two didn't talk at a recent sports banquet, he should have taken time to make a call or send an e-mail / text to Rogers -- just to say that it will be great to get to know each other, watch some film, talk about the team, etc. Mangini now wishes he had done so.

Even though I said get over it..EM could have done something ..both had a hand in this...

Rogers also wondered why the Browns were hard-balling him about his weight. He was in the 360-pound range all last season -- which is what the team asked. The Browns have since communicated to Rogers that they know he is in decent shape now, and they just want him to stay in condition.

O.k Prp...I told U he had a weight mandate last season..not the ole come as you are...and they did say he came in one pd under the target..

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Rogers also wondered why the Browns were hard-balling him about his weight. He was in the 360-pound range all last season -- which is what the team asked. The Browns have since communicated to Rogers that they know he is in decent shape now, and they just want him to stay in condition.

Did they actually give him a hard time over it, or did they just remind him of his agreement on weight from last season?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I certainly understand yours and everyone else's arguments but I can't help but shake my head as to what it is that has created this discussion.

We are talking about perception on Shaun's behalf. Did Mangini or anyone on the Browns PUBLICLY embarrass him? Was some off color comment made, something private and personal made public?

He is taking, in the grand scheme of things, something small and made it into a public spectacle.

Perhaps Mangini should have sent him a Halmark card and a lovely bouquet of chocolate flowers. Maybe Mangini doesn't have the people skills or persona of an Obama but I haven't read anything to suggest that he is malicious or maltreats his players.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It really doesn't sound like they gave him a hard time..perhaps the comment "DON'T BOTHER SHOWING UP"..went through him like a hot knife through butter..

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
So, are the Browns a better team without Rogers?

Lets hear it from "Mangini is the man" bunch in regards to this Rogers issue.

Rogers wants out...he's not gonna play for the Browns...Rogers is gone...and most of you believe that makes the Browns defense better.

Rogers may get us a 2nd or 3rd rounder as he's now seen as a trouble maker. What 2nd or 3rd rounder you gonna draft that plays NT as well as Rogers did for the Browns last season?

Let's hear it...Mangini is the man...mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
yeah he was soooooo great last year that we ended our season with the great record of 4-12....remind me the year before when we went 10-6 who was our DT?

dont get me wrong i know that he is a great player...but he isnt the whole "D". we could survive without him just the way we have in the past. I for one hope he gets everything settled down and produces again, but its fact that an unhappy rodgers wont play or give his all

Last edited by Tubby_Dawg17; 03/02/09 12:58 PM.

#brownsgoodkarma
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is there a sarcasm icon for those comments?

I think Rodgers will be back..

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Talk about overreacting, they are going to have a sit down with Rogers, I'm sure they will smooth everything over, you're talking like it's a done deal that he is gone.

Notice how nothign has surfaced since from Rogers camp about not wanting to be here anymore and don't bother talking to me? Look at the Cutler situation...he won't even meet with the team, that is a bad sign.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Rogers wants out...he's not gonna play for the Browns...Rogers is gone

I suggest you read the first post in this thread.

Apparently Mangini and Rogers are trying to work it out.

you had a good run Hank.
E
Legend
Legend
E
"I've heard it about every coach or assistant coach we've hired in the last 10 years."

Just an FYI - this is the first one with Head Coaching experience to draw better conclusions from

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
Legend
Legend
E
"perhaps the comment "DON'T BOTHER SHOWING UP"..went through him like a hot knife through butter.."

If there was "PROOF" of that statement wouldn't we have seen the actual MEMO??? I believe that was Rogers own interpretation of what the MEMO meant. Mary Cabot has since backtracked on some of things presented as facts???

Mac...whats with all this NAME POSING...cut the Crap - "MANGINI is the MAN" crew

And where has it even progressed to the extreme that we are trading Rogers...if anything it seem to have been defused! Not accelerated to a trade. So in that regards Mangini is "THE MAN" ! lol

You want to see real problems...go see Josh McDaniels in Denver

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I had forgotten about diabetic problem that Cutler had ( has ) .. Interesting point ! .. I have been ( still am ) a fan of Cutler ( on the field ) ..

E
Legend
Legend
E
wrong thread??? how did that happen

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am trying to do two things at the same time .. At my age , Dam near impossible

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Talk about overreacting, they are going to have a sit down with Rogers, I'm sure they will smooth everything over, you're talking like it's a done deal that he is gone.

Notice how nothign has surfaced since from Rogers camp about not wanting to be here anymore and don't bother talking to me? Look at the Cutler situation...he won't even meet with the team, that is a bad sign.

Why can't any of you that believe "Mangini is the man" for the way he handled the Rogers situation, answer any of the questiones I posed to you?

AGAIN...

Rogers wants out...he's not gonna play for the Browns...Rogers is gone...and most of you believe that makes the Browns defense better, RIGHT?

ARE THE BROWNS A BETTER TEAM WITHOUT ROGERS?

IS THE BROWNS 3-4 DEFENSE BETTER WITHOUT ROGERS?

Rogers may get us a 2nd or 3rd rounder as he's now seen as a trouble maker.

WHAT 2nd or 3rd ROUNDER IN THIS DRAFT IS GOING TO PLAY NT AS WELL AS ROGERS DID?

Let's hear it from the "Mangini is the man" crew...thanks, mac

EO...with all due respect, your not my dad, stop acting like you can tell what to say or do...thanks...mac

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I already did....look up a few post!

#brownsgoodkarma
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Tubby....look at all those who agree with you...mac

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Rogers wants out...he's not gonna play for the Browns...Rogers is gone.

Again, you obviously missed the first post in this thread. Get your facts straight before you make these claims.

Both sides are going to sit down and try and work this out. Doesn't sound like Rogers is gone to me. Not saying everything will work out, but I will say that he certainly not out the door yet.

Now as for your defense claims, the defense is going to be better by default this year. Now would it be better with Rogers? Probably, but the 2009 Cleveland Browns defense will be better than the 2008 Cleveland Browns defense with or without Rogers.

you had a good run Hank.
C
Poser
Poser
C
Mac, once again you use hyperbole and immediately label anyone not crucifying Mangine. It's the same old same old. It's ridiculous.

Having said that, I will answer your questions and then ask you some and chalenge you to answer them.

Are the Browns better without Rogers? Absolutely. If they kept Rogers, he would have the same attitude he had in Detroit when he sulked and pouted and underperformed.

They are also better off without a malcontent that once special treatment. You don't pick and choose who the rules apply to and who doesn't.

The team is also better off without a player that has issues to the point that someone didn't see him WALK BEHIND HIM at a function and falll all over him like he was the second coming.

Now, answer this, mac. Is Magnini supposed to have eyes in the back of his head to be able to see a person walk behind him while he is in the middle of a conversation? Is Mangini supposed to set a double standard for players and only apply rules to certain ones while allowing others to ignore the rules? Will that make the team better?

It's funny how you and others are so quick to crucify someone and when someone points out how absurd it is, you label them. Now, answer the questions that I asked you, mac. It wil reveal alot about how important you think team chemistry are to success.

Diam, I never said that Mangini handled the entire thing perfectly. In fact, I said in the post you replied to that it could be argued that he didn't. What I was saying was that you can see that he thought how he handled it would be enough. No one thinks Gini is infallable or perfect. As always, if someone doesn't bash everything a coach/player does and has a different perspective, there are some on here (not you) that automatically jump to extremes because you don't dare agree with him that the coach/player is the anti-Christ.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

agreed!

#brownsgoodkarma
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rogers wants out...he's not gonna play for the Browns...Rogers is gone...and most of you believe that makes the Browns defense better, RIGHT?

Huh?
If Rodgers is playing at a high level the defense benefits..but if he's going to be a malcontent no defense will fare well..
But you don't know this can't be mended..
If it can't then he needs to go..we don't need a season long soap opera of Shaun Rodgers..
See U can't keep a guy and have him performing at a pro bowl level if he is a malcontent and wants out..won't happen.

C
Poser
Poser
C
Exactly

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
nrtu

If the Browns lose Rogers over this "Mangini is the man" issue, that's just gonna be great, huh?

The center piece of your Browns 3-4 defense, gone....because a head coach didn't think it was important to introduce himself to his best defensive player and extend his hand in friendship, when walking by him in the Browns training room.

A handshake is a show of respect from one man to another. Some men put more emphasis on a handshake and introduction than others do. Me personally, I extend my hand to every man or woman I meet and I look them right in the eyes when I introduce myself. My father taught me that this is the way one man shows respect to those they are meeting for the first time.

My father also taught me that not extending your hand, is a show of great disrespect for those in your company. As I said, some take this act of introducing yourself and extending your hand, much more seriously than others. Surely a HC in the NFL would know that!

I read that now Mangini is attempting to smooth this over. Any idea why?

It's not because he thinks the Browns are better without Rogers at NT, I can tell you that much.

This should never have come to this...it was avoidable.

I leave you with the following, most of which I agree with, in regards to the Rogers situation.

Terry Pluto's Talkin' ... about the Rogers-Mangini tiff, Barfield's good spring, Big Ben's absence

by Terry Pluto/Plain Dealer Columnist
Saturday February 28, 2009, 11:29 PM

About Shaun Rogers and the Browns ...

1. The Browns made progress setting up a meeting between coach Eric Mangini and star defensive lineman Shaun Rogers. The two parties have been communicating, with the help of General Manager George Kokinis and Rogers' agent. Some of the tension has been eased. The plan is for both sides to have a long sit-down meeting soon.

2. The moment Mangini heard Rogers was upset that the two didn't talk at a recent sports banquet, he should have taken time to make a call or send an e-mail / text to Rogers -- just to say that it will be great to get to know each other, watch some film, talk about the team, etc. Mangini now wishes he had done so.

3. According to someone at the banquet, Rogers walked by as Mangini was talking to Tribe manager Eric Wedge. Mangini's back was to Rogers and he didn't see the 360-pounder. Mangini did not intentionally slight Rogers. He was not even aware Rogers was supposed to be at the banquet, as the coach made a brief appearance to hand out an award and then went back to the office, where he was in the midst of assembling his new coaching staff.

4. Mangini has been taking an odd stance of not wanting to talk to players, or at least that is the impression being given to some of his key players. Mangini would rather sit down and talk to players at length, but the coach needs to understand that a short call or e-mail is a good way to let the players know he is interested in them. This is the text-message, e-mail generation.
5. Some fans say "Who cares if Mangini stiffed Rogers, my boss doesn't talk to me." Or, "If I made $6 million, my boss can ignore me forever."

There is no relation between pro sports and the real world. These are millionaires in a bubble, they have been spoiled their entire professional lives. To them, special treatment is a perk of the job. Also, in real life, rarely does an employee earn more than the boss -- as is often the case in pro sports.

6. Money must be behind some of Rogers' unhappiness, especially as defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth just signed that outrageous 7-year, $100 million contract with Washington. It has $41 million guaranteed, and a staggering $32 million paid in the first 13 months. Rogers would love to hit the open market and try for a contract like that, which is why he would prefer the Browns cut him and pass on his $6 million roster bonus later this month and his salary of $2.4 million in 2009. His $6.9 million in 2010 also is guaranteed, meaning he has $15 million coming the next two seasons.

7. The Browns insist Rogers' agent has not made any demands about being released. That's because his contract runs five more years, and he can't demand anything. But it could have been suggested, because every player and agent would love to get a new contract whenever possible. The Browns insist they have no interest in releasing Rogers.

8. Rogers also wondered why the Browns were hard-balling him about his weight. He was in the 360-pound range all last season -- which is what the team asked. The Browns have since communicated to Rogers that they know he is in decent shape now, and they just want him to stay in condition.

9. No reasonable person can have issues with how Rogers performed last season. He played every game, played with a sore shoulder, a cranky knee and being double- and triple-teamed. The coaches were extremely impressed by Rogers on film. But there are concerns about other defensive linemen, especially as Corey Williams struggled switching from the 4-3 defense in Green Bay to the Browns' 3-4.

10. It's believed the Browns have reached out to Romeo Crennel. Mangini loves the former Browns coach, as does Rogers. He is expected to help with this situation. So is new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who is thrilled with the idea of coaching Rogers. Ryan supposedly thinks he can get more out of Kamerion Wimbley, which will be critical to making the 3-4 defense work.

11. The Browns correctly believe the team needs more discipline. They want the players to know coaches are in charge, and they want a more structured approach to workouts, conditioning, etc. They also set a message with the Kellen Winslow deal that they don't want players who have contract issues to become a distraction.

12. Word out of the combine is the Browns do indeed like Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry, but that Curry was so impressive on and off the field that he's expected to be gone by the time the Browns pick at No. 5.

web page

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Terry Pluto today--mostly stuff on S Rogers

Link Copied to Clipboard