Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I'd like to know why anyone would think (if they think this) that the Browns won't be one of the worst 3 passing teams in the NFL this year.

Hell I'd like someone to make the case that we won't be the absolute worst.

it's already been stated that we have to hope that last year was an anomaly for Jake. it's really all we have. if he has lost it mentally/emotionally and is Chuck Noblauch, then he's toast.

I think at first, at least, he'll be fine. but, i'll be really interested what happens after he throws his first INT. if he comes back and continues to play the same way as before that INT, I'll feel much more comfortable.

and our passing offense might actually utilize the wildcat for passing too, which might help boost those overall passing numbers (another argument for out of the bottom3 for you )

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

Hell I'd like someone to make the case that we won't be the absolute worst.

Heres my case.

1. Oakland
2. Tampa Bay.
3. St Louis

How could you put Oakland in there over Buffalo? Oakland at least has a capable QB...the Bills have...Ryan Fitzpatrick and Trent Edwards, who are both not even good enough to be called a has-been.

you had a good run Hank.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I knew there was someone I was forgetting, And I put Oakland in there not because of J.C. but because of the rest of the pieces around him. And there coaching staff.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

I knew there was someone I was forgetting, And I put Oakland in there not because of J.C. but because of the rest of the pieces around him. And there coaching staff.

I don't think Cable is the worst coach. An idiot and classless to be sure, but he's no Romeo Crennel.

And their pieces around JC are better than Buffalo, St Louis and Tampa, IMO.

you had a good run Hank.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Going with the drift here, the offensive line in Oakland could be very....er....offensive.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Going with the drift here, the offensive line in Oakland could be very....er....offensive.

yep, there it is. though they have Zach Miller which should help Campbell since he loves TEs.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Do you think it's worse than Buffalo, St Louis and Tampa? I don't. Especially considering that J.C is much better than all of the starting QB's for those teams.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Just to throw out some teams nobody else has touched..

Everybody thinks that Sanchez will improve from next to last in 2009, he might not, he could have his sophomore slump.. they could be bad.

The Carolina Panthers have a big unknown at QB backed up by a rookie.. they could be bad.

Arizona has Matt Leinart backed up by Derek Anderson.. they could be bad.

The Seahawks are one injury away from playing JP Losman or Charlie Whitehurst.. they could be bad.

The Broncos are one injury away from Quinn/Tebow/Brandstate (take your pick)... they could be bad or Orton could just be bad.

Based on last years stats, we have to average 160 ypg to NOT finish in the bottom 3.. In all of his years as a starter, some with good help, some without, Jake has only averaged below 200 ypg once and that was last year and he was STILL at 183... so if Jake stays on the field, I'd gladly take the bet that we won't be bottom 3 in passing ypg at the end of the season..

yebat' Putin
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
DC wins the contest.

Legend
Legend
Will my prize be mailed to me?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Will my prize be mailed to me?

no. There is no prize after the jacket.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Do you think it's worse than Buffalo, St Louis and Tampa? I don't. Especially considering that J.C is much better than all of the starting QB's for those teams.

while we are on the subject of OLs, ESPN had an interesting table on the # of different starting 5's for OL on each team. And, the # of different starters (shows the difference between 1 guy getting hurt and just rotating bodies to find a good combo and OLs in complete disarray).

not the perfect indicator on which OLs are good and bad, but you definitely don't like seeing that many different starters for teams like Seattle, Buffalo and Oakland (adding in what we know about how bad those OLs were...and yes, injuries play a part as Wood was hurt mid-season for the Bills)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=5207239

Line dance
The New York Jets were the only NFL team in 2009 to use the same starting line combination in every game. Here's a look at how many different combinations each team used and the number of different starters employed:

Team Combos No. of starters
Arizona 2 6
Atlanta 4 7
Baltimore 4 7
Buffalo 9 11
Carolina 3 7
Chicago 3 7
Cincinnati 5 8
Cleveland 4 7
Dallas 2 6
Denver 5 7
Detroit 7 8
Green Bay 6 8
Houston 4 8
Indianapolis 5 8
Jacksonville 4 7
Kansas City 6 9
Miami 4 7
Minnesota 3 6
New England 6 7
New Orleans 2 6
N.Y. Giants 3 7
N.Y. Jets 1 5
Oakland 6 10
Philadelphia 5 7
Pittsburgh 2 6
San Diego 5 7
San Francisco 3 7
Seattle 6 10
St. Louis 6 9
Tampa Bay 2 6
Tennessee 3 6
Washington 5 9

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Just to throw this out there...our 129.8 passing yards per game was the fourth worst team performance of the last 10 years.

I'm not optimistic but there are reasons for legitimate hope. The best case scenario in my mind is about 25th in the league. The worst is another cover your eyes awful last in the NFL.

We shall see.

I'm excited to see what Hardesty brings though after hearing from Holmgren. I love running the ball and good defense. Maybe we have a shot to be good there.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Just to throw this out there...our 129.8 passing yards per game was the fourth worst team performance of the last 10 years.

I'm not optimistic but there are reasons for legitimate hope. The best case scenario in my mind is about 25th in the league. The worst is another cover your eyes awful last in the NFL.

We shall see.

I'm excited to see what Hardesty brings though after hearing from Holmgren. I love running the ball and good defense. Maybe we have a shot to be good there.

I have to be a semi Tn fan since I have lived here over 30 years and more to the point, my wife is a TN grad....that said....I was genuinely impressed with Hardesty last year.....he had a lot of hype coming in as a freshman, but was hurt with this or that.....but last year he finally delivered, injury free....had he done that for 2-3 years, he would have been a top 5 pick.

I look at injuries as a part of the game...and his injuries were game related and not just chronic crap like pulled muscles and such.

He may get hurt again, or he may never get hurt again.....so for the value, he was a great pick.

If he doesn't break a leg or blow out a knee, he can be a pro-bowl type player.

I guess what I am saying is I honestly don't think his past injuries significantly increase his chances of being injured in the future.

He may have lost a step, and in the end it may shorten his pro career a few years, but for the next 6-8 years, he can be one of the best in the league for his style....a hard charging, one cut runner.

He may not go 60 yards very often, but he can go 7 yards a lot.....which works for me.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That would be awesome.

btw have we effectively moved this thread off course yet?

[Linked Image]
N
All Pro
All Pro
N
NRTU:

Didn't want to make a whole new post for this as most of it is old news, but it did have some interesting tidbits so........Here you go:

Quote:

INSIDE SLANT

All eyes will be on Jake Delhomme(notes) now through the end of August to learn whether he can turn back the clock and prove his disastrous 2009 season with the Carolina Panthers was a fluke.

Coach Eric Mangini and team president Mike Holmgren are convinced the Delhomme that threw eight touchdown passes and 18 interceptions last season is not the same guy they are paying $7 million in 2010 to play for the Browns.

Holmgren and Mangini say Delhomme and Seneca Wallace(notes) will battle to be the starter, but on Wednesday, the first day OTAs were open to the media, Delhomme got the bulk of the work followed by Wallace and then rookie Colt McCoy(notes) and Brett Ratliff(notes).

Delhomme looked in command while calling plays and throwing the ball.

“He’s got great energy,” Mangini said. “I don’t like making comparisons. But I will. He reminds me a little bit of (Brett) Favre in terms of enjoying practice and being around the guys. He’s able to be serious and still keep things light. He has good rapport with the offensive guys and defensive guys. You see it in the weight room and all the different areas.”

Spring practice is a far cry from what real football is like because players are not in pads and Delhomme wasn’t dealing with snarling pass rushers, but his throws were on the money. Three passes in particular stood out; one was a lob in the deep right corner of the end zone to Brian Robiskie(notes). Cornerback Eric Wright(notes) had tight coverage on Chansi Stuckey(notes) on another play, so Delhomme threw the ball so that Stuckey had to extend his arms. He threw the ball perfectly, where only Stuckey could catch it. He made a similar throw intentionally low to the ground to Robiskie with Sheldon Brown(notes) all over the second-year receiver. Robiskie caught the ball for a touchdown.

“When you change to a new team you do get a fresh start,” Delhomme said. “To be here is very refreshing. It’s like you get new life injected into you.

“It could have been very easy to walk away and go home or go hold a clipboard some other place, but I wanted a chance to compete. That’s all I ask.”

Delhomme and the Panthers played for the NFC championship after the 2008 season. Delhomme threw five interceptions against Arizona in that championship game. On Wednesday he said he put so much pressure on himself the next season to atone for letting down his team and Panther fans he never got back into the groove.

Delhomme was 4-7 as a starter in 2009 before a hand injury ended his season. Prior to 2009 he was 50-31 as a starter with the Panthers. He was 10-5 as a starter in 2003 when Carolina was in the Super Bowl. He was 11-5 in 2005 and 12-4 in 2008.

Delhomme played only three games in 2007 before an elbow injury ended his season. He had Tommy John surgery to repair it and bounced back to complete 246 of 414 passes for 3,288 yards, 15 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in 2008.

NOTES, QUOTES

• WR Brian Robiskie, last year’s second-round draft pick from Ohio State is looking like a different player from a year ago when he caught only seven passes.

• LB Matt Roth(notes) is one of five restricted free agents sitting out the voluntary OTAs. The others are linebacker D’Qwell Jackson(notes), running back Jerome Harrison(notes), fullback Lawrence Vickers(notes) and safety Abe Elam.

Elam and Jackson want multi-year contracts. Roth wants to be traded. General Manager Tom Heckert said Roth will not be dealt.

“It’s like that with everybody,” Heckert said. “Normally when guys are unhappy with their contacts, the first thing out of their mouth is give me a new deal or trade me. It isn’t the first time we’ve heard that and it won’t be the last.”

Roth played six games and recorded four sacks for the Browns after being picked up on waivers from the Dolphins late in the season.

Heckert said he is reluctant to give long-term deals to the players holding out because neither he nor team president Mike Holmgren saw them play last season.

• Josh Cribbs was at the Akron Browns Backers banquet Monday night to receive the Player of the Year award from the Cleveland Chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America.

Before entering the banquet hall the Browns’ special teams star and Wildcat quarterback was cornered by reporters covering the Browns. He was a regular at Cavaliers playoff games and was asked about Cavs star LeBron James possibly playing elsewhere next season.

“I watched him every game,” Cribbs said. “It won’t be the same without him. He’s The King here. LeBron James is King being in this city and growing up in Akron.

“If he goes anywhere else he’ll just be a phenomenal, extraordinary athlete, but he will not be The King in any other city but Cleveland.”

• Scott Fujita(notes), who played the last four seasons with the Saints, knows Browns new quarterback Jake Delhomme as well as anybody.

“I’ve known Jake for a long time and have nothing but respect for him,” Fujita said after an OTA practice. “I think I’ve played him eight or nine times and lost to him almost every time.

“I like having him on my side. I’ve played with some great quarterbacks (including Drew Brees(notes) in New Orleans), but Jake is a great guy, great in the locker room and a heckuva competitor. He’s had some injuries the last couple years, but watching him come back and work the way he has this offseason, he looked sharp. I know he’s in great shape because I’ve been running with him almost every day.”

Quote To Note: “Feels like a rookie. You put in a lot of different terminology, a lot different from the terminology I had in Philadelphia. I’m in the playbook a lot and it’s tough. It’s tough.”—Cornerback Sheldon Brown, on being traded from the Eagles to the Browns.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

Contrary to many reports the Browns are not changing over to a West Coast offense.

It was assumed they would become a West Coast team because team president Mike Holmgren coached the West Coast in Green Bay and Seattle a total of 17 years. Then he traded for Seneca Wallace, who played in a West Coast offense under Holmgren in Seattle. Jake Delhomme has also played in the West Coast.

But the Browns aren’t using it, Wallace says.

“The offense seems good,” Wallace said. “It’s different. Obviously, it’s not the West Coast offense and I have to get used to the terminology and the things we do offensively, so it’s a learning process. Every time we get on the field, that’s what we’ll do

Wallace wants to play quarterback, but at the very least he will be involved in some plays with Josh Cribbs in Wildcat formations. One could line up as a quarterback and the other as a wide receiver.

Link

Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

• WR Brian Robiskie, last year’s second-round draft pick from Ohio State is looking like a different player from a year ago when he caught only seven passes.

It would be great to see Robo emerge from whatever cave he's been living in. Honestly, this year just feels a lot better than any I can remember for a long time.

No catastrophic injuries, no coaching changes, a pretty good draft, QBs looking accurate without any pressure, WRs catching balls. It's kind of eerie not seeing a flaming mountain falling from the sky. I have almost forgotten what a staph infection is.

The guys who see the glass as half full of idiot coaches and cheap sandwiches will see things differently, of course, but it's a lot better to be saying "it's just OTAs" about the players doing good things than saying it as an excuse, like the fans in Arizona are.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
Legend
Legend
Have you seen what the fans in the desert are saying so far?

The sky is falling would be kind as far as their response to the QB situation goes. They are already wishing for Marc Bulger ..... or for a $20 million lottery check so they can coax Kurt Warner out of retirement.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
"Contrary to many reports the Browns are not changing over to a West Coast offense.

It was assumed they would become a West Coast team because team president Mike Holmgren coached the West Coast in Green Bay and Seattle a total of 17 years. Then he traded for Seneca Wallace, who played in a West Coast offense under Holmgren in Seattle. Jake Delhomme has also played in the West Coast.

But the Browns aren’t using it, Wallace says."

Now if I could just remember that OTHER bet TOAD made basically guaranting the transition to the West Coast Offense the day MH arrived.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Delhomme is learning a new system in Cleveland this season. But it's not completely foreign because he knows the West Coast portion of the scheme from the time he spent with the New Orleans Saints under former assistant Mike McCarthy, who is now the head coach of the Green Bay Packers.

"I think I have a very good background in it," Delhomme said. "Some of the plays, Seneca [Wallace] and I will speak some of the West Coast language, because it's very similar to the system he ran in Seattle and what I ran with Mike."

You know............just in case anyone missed it and decides to get the wrong idea.

When the bullets start flying for real, the plays are going to be founded in the MWCO. Sure, there'll be some things that came from what worked last year, but that won't change the fact of the basic philosophies of what we're going to be running here.

Seriously..........to think we'd take the minds of guys like Holmgren and Haskell and Heckert........all FOUNDED in the WCO...........and shelve them for the hot-seated minds of Daboll and Mangini is flying in the face of pure logic and conventional wisdom.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
All Pro
All Pro
Just to make sure I have the right idea...

You're saying that Mangini's offense is going to be replaced with Holmgren's in week 1? After running the former all summer?

Or are you saying that it'll be the same offense, just abandoning the parts that aren't WCO?

Obviously Mangini and Daboll have made every visible indication that they welcome input from H/H. You seem to be saying that they are lame duck coaches who won't be calling the plays. If that's what you think, I don't agree that situation is what is called for by conventional wisdom.

John Barrymore
Legend
Legend
Mangini has said that they are going to take a combination of plays from the WCO and the Belichick tree into one gigantic amalgamation of offensive firepower. (OK, I added the last 5 words for dramatic emphasis)

I think that means that we can expect more screens ... quick hit routes from the WRs ..... but that we are not giving up the power running game we started to establish last year ..... and that we'll still be going downfield in the passing game.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Mangini has said that they are going to take a combination of plays from the WCO and the Belichick tree into one gigantic amalgamation of offensive firepower. (OK, I added the last 5 words for dramatic emphasis)

I think that means that we can expect more screens ... quick hit routes from the WRs ..... but that we are not giving up the power running game we started to establish last year ..... and that we'll still be going downfield in the passing game.

I agree.......we are building a NCO....power running with quick precise routes.

It isn't a WCO.....it's a hybred....it's going to combine the best elements of both....or give us the ability to go with what works on any given day.

We need to quit fussing over what type of O we will run.....we are going to run the Browns O....the NCO.

I for one like it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

..... and that we'll still be going downfield in the passing game.

All in jest, but i just don't remember that as being part of last years offense....

I never did understand the lack of screens in the offense, so if that is WCO i'm all for it.

Legend
Legend
no downfield passing b/c of Quinn.. Daboll didn't trust him.. with a vet like Delhomme, there should be no excuses.

Wasn't there a thread about how our WR's actually got open down field, but Quinn never saw them, or just refused to make the throw?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Thanks Ballpeen, i wanted to hear from a Tennessee fan abut Hardesty. i saw the Georgia Tennessee game and Hardesty tore up the Bulldogs. thanks again for the post.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Wasn't there a thread about how our WR's actually got open down field, but Quinn never saw them, or just refused to make the throw?

I thought it was Kosar who said that.

John Barrymore
Legend
Legend
Kosar did say that.

he said that receivers were sometimes running 5-10 yards open downfield.

My lasting memory of Quinn will be watching a CB playing a WR man on man ..... and completey abandoning the WR once he got 15-20 yards downfield.

I don't remember the DB .... or even the team we played .... but I remember this CB just completely abandoning the WR once he got about 15-20 yards downfield.

Of course, Quinn never threw him the ball. IIRC .... he went to a receiver 3-4 yards "downfield".

A
Legend
Legend
A
Can't say as I remember that, but I sure don't doubt it.

I do remember Q going deep late in a game, late in the season - and watching 2 successive passes land about 5 yds. out of bounds.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I remember what he's talking about, but I can't recall the team either. It was definitely a team we played on the road, but that's about all I can remember.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Thanks Ballpeen, i wanted to hear from a Tennessee fan abut Hardesty. i saw the Georgia Tennessee game and Hardesty tore up the Bulldogs. thanks again for the post.

No problem.....though I would't call myself a fan.

Go Gators.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
In essence then, a departure from the DA/BQ/BE/JL/Daboll offensive juggernaut that was the first three-quarters of last season? It HAS to be better if we just stop running the middle, going three-and-see ya! Quite a game plan. The kneel down even though we needed points is a real defining metaphor of what level we played at. I want to see us much more aggressively going after scoring. Playing to win but coming up short is bad; the cautious and timid playing not to lose (and losing) is ugly bad. Go after opponenets every play, regardless of which side of the ball. Intensity and aggression, please.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I may be wrong, but I think what he's referring to is a Preseason game on the road where Kosar was commenting on open receivers that were just basically going unseen.. and it didn't matter what QB was in......

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I seem to remember after the season a story in which Kosar said he and Daboll were watching film and they noticed many receivers running open and both QBs not throwing to them.

Delhomme might be at the end of his career, but I highly doubt he could be as bad as the two were last year. I saw good things in both of them before the season, but once the season started, they were horrible. I can't blame the receivers or the line, what I saw was poor QB play, period. Jake should benefit these young guys immensely. He is accurate and seasoned, I think we may all be surprised by how the WRs look with competence at QB.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Bernie was saying it mid-season as well, when people were bagging on Daboll. Shortly after he took that unnamed position in the organization I remember him being on Tony Rizzo's show on KNR and saying that, prior to that he knew nothing about Brian Daboll, but once he got a chance to sit down with him, talk about his gameplans and break down film, he realized that Daboll had pretty decent gameplans and the offense was simply failing to execute.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

In essence then, a departure from the DA/BQ/BE/JL/Daboll offensive juggernaut that was the first three-quarters of last season?

That depends doesn't it? I think what a lot of people seem to overlook is.....what can we do and what can't we do?

Quote:

It HAS to be better if we just stop running the middle, going three-and-see ya! Quite a game plan. The kneel down even though we needed points is a real defining metaphor of what level we played at. I want to see us much more aggressively going after scoring.

Once again....what can we do and what can't we do?

A smart GM/HC runs the plays their current players CAN execute. As of right now, this minute, what is it you think we "can do" (execute) and what we can't do?

Many like to ridicule the very game plan that won us those last four games, but guess what? It worked. Was it pretty or flashy? No it wasn't. Was it effective? Looking at the scoreboard, I'd say so.

Same might go for this year. Will Delhomme bounce back from last years performance? Will this young group of WR's mature to the point they can perform consistantly? Nobody knows the asnwer to these questions but I'd say MH does have his concerns while publicly not admitting it.

You can look at a mans actions to see his intent. I think we all pretty much know a lot of these veteran signings aren't going to be long term answers. Delhomme, Brown, Pashos and I could go on. They're not a future but a temporary foundation. Your team is built through the draft.

So what does that tell us? It tells us that MH and Co. are building a team with the basics, for now..........

The bulk of our investments were secondary and RB. A good secondary frees up your front 7 to be more aggressive and more attacking. This opens up the D playbook more.

And as much as you dislike the three yards and a cloud of dust, that is the key to everything else. Basic football 101. It's not as if you can go from what we had last year, wave a magic wand and suddenly run a different system completly overnight. You don't have nearly enough talent gathered in one off-season to do that.

Quote:

Playing to win but coming up short is bad; the cautious and timid playing not to lose (and losing) is ugly bad.

That's a matter of your own personal view of things. Let's look at it from another perspective shall we?........................

Continualy running plays your players simply can't execute on a regular basis is foolish. Taking big risks ang getting far behind early in the game by taking such risks are foolish. Especially since you lack the fire power to score a lot of points quickly due to your personnel.

Keeping your team in the game and being in the game by the end of the fourth quarter, giving your team a chance to win at the end is not such a foolish idea.

Quote:

Go after opponenets every play, regardless of which side of the ball. Intensity and aggression, please.

In case you missed it, that's exactly what we had those last four games. Sure, we lacked the talent to do it in impressive style. We had no passing game to speak of. Our overall game plan was a rather ugly site and not the glamour you seem to seek in style, but it equated to wins.

So do you take those gambles you speak of? Or do you set your team up to have a shot of winning in the end?

Do you call plays you know you don't have the talent to execute, or do you play to your teams strengths to try to be competative?

What Mangini walked into was a very undiciplined team. One with egos here that thought they were bigger than the team. Playing a style of football they simply couldn't execute.

The egos had to go. The dicipline had to be instilled. He had to trim the playbook down to almost nothing so the talent he had could execute the plays. And in the end, it all worked.

In this world of instant gratification, many really believe Rome can be built in a day, but it's not that simple. Each year we will be assembling talent to turn this team into what MH wants it to be.

That's not going to all happen this year. Probably not next year either. But what you will see is an evolution. The more talent acquired, the more you'll see the playbook open up. This year it will happen more on D than on O. Why? Just look back at what we invested in.

I don't look for this O to be as bland as last years. But one must remember, the biggest investment we made for the future on O, was a RB.

So I wouldn't be expecting some open air arsonal quite yet. But as time goes and the pieces of the puzzle start flowing in that "permit" that to happen, I believe we'll gradually see it more and more.

Right now there's more questions than answers out there. Will JD bounce back from last year? How is our WR core actually developing? Can we pass block well enough?

None of which we can answer right now. I think we all want to see the playbook openned up, but I for one don't want to see it openned up so soon we outguess ourselves and get blown out before half time. You have to be in it to win it.

Basics first and everything else will follow.

jmho

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The fun thing for me is that we were able to run the ball late last year.

We ran the damn ball ..... no matter whet the situation ... and no matter whether or not the competition knew we were going to do it ... we were still able to run the ball, and do so effectively.

I loved that. The browns were able to physically impose their will upon their competition in the running game ..... push people around, and punish them.

Wow. That's my kind of football right there.

Add in a competent passing game and a solid defense (that can actually create turnovers) and I'd be in heaven.

Legend
Legend
The last several posts just got me thinking a bit (scary, I know).

The QB play was terrible. It was our achilles' all season. There are reports that the rest of the offense was competent enough, but the QB's were killing us.
Then, we essentially abandon the use of our QB's and go to a nearly all-run offense and we rattle off four outstanding rushing performances that net us wins.

Yes, the caveat is that we did it against poor teams and poor defenses, but we still did it. Considering what this team looked like at the start of the season, that is quite the feat.
Everyone expected run, we probably freaking told em we were gonna run -- and we still ran. I don't care what level you are playing at or who your competition is, that is a major positive and it speaks volumes to the other areas of this offense.

With competency at QB, a defense will actually have to respect the pass now - at least, more so than they had to last year. That should open up the run even more.
Add in a quality pass catching TE and a new RB and we should be good to go.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Actually we rattled off 3 great rushing performances. The win against Pittsburgh was all defense all the time.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I truly believe the Browns are going to be a top running team this year.

I also believe the pass D will be improved, which will get us off the damn field on 3rd down more often.

That will help in the win column.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Delhome Fiitting Right In With Browns: ABJ

Link Copied to Clipboard