Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If we weren't the laughingstock of the league with our HC hire, we certainly will be if we have no offensive coordinator.

We'll only be a laughingstock if the wins don't come. Until then, I couldn't care less who laughs.

And who in here doesn't think that Holmy & Haskell won't be pulling Shurmer's strings? Might be a clever arrangement, might be a big mistake. Point is: it's too early to tell either way. It's the main reason I haven't posted much about this, and why I'm not near the edge of a cliff.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
R
Legend
Legend
R
2-14
3-13
7-9
9-7
5-11
4-12
6-10
4-12
10-6
4-12
5-11
5-11

Those are our regular season records since the return.

Yet everyone seems to be pining for these great seasons we've recently had. How dare we do anything different? ...No OC???? ... blasphemy!!!!!! ...off with Holmgren's head ... doesn't he know we were 5-11 two years in a row ... LOL ... Everyone seems to think they know what it takes to win or who it takes to win. And we should all be experts since we've experienced so much winning, right?. I mean look at those records. They're awesome.

But hey, maybe we can get another Daboll so we have an "OC". That would be pretty cool.

I honestly don't know why people even get upset about any of this anymore. We are a sucky franchise with a long history of suckitude. Aren't you people apathetic by now?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Hey, if there's a pattern, we have another winning record again in the 2014 season!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

It is very rare.

YT...HOW RARE IS IT?

NFL HCs who call their own plays...it's "rare" you say?

Could you tell us how many HCs in the NFL call their own plays?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Aren't you people apathetic by now?

I completely understand why some are, and honestly, if I could get there it would probably make me a happier person. I don't even want to think about how many hours I spent this year feeling genuinely upset about the Browns.

I know it's dumb but I just can't seem to stop caring. I haven't watched an Indians game in 10+ years and I never care when they fail. I was the posterboy for "Cav's Bandwagon Fan" and the whole Lebron thing only upset me for a few days (mostly because he lives in my neighborhood and I took it a little personally).

But I just can't stop caring about the Browns... Maybe Holmgren can fix that. He seems headed down the right path.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

It is very rare.

YT...HOW RARE IS IT?

Last year 31 of 32 teams had an OC.

Legend
Legend
Just wondering out loud here..

What if the plan is to bring Whipple in as QB coach/OC in training for a year.

Since Shumur has said he'll call the plays (initially), does this make more sense of it?

Or, since it's mere speculation that we won't have an OC,, could it be we'll hear that Clements is the OC.. After the SB of course

Last edited by Damanshot; 01/31/11 03:42 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It is very rare.

YT...HOW RARE IS IT?

That would be pretty rare ...... at least by most peoples' math .......

mac's results may vary.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

I completely understand why some are, and honestly, if I could get there it would probably make me a happier person.

I would venture to guess that most on this board have that emotional attachment to the Browns ... the one that will cause an avalanche of tears if they ever do win it all ... I know I'll cry like a baby.

But for your own mental and emotional health you've got to let it go sometimes. It's not getting to apathy that makes you a happy person. It's choosing apathy.

Like BF79 said, no point in getting worked up about ... there's not a damn thing we can control in what's going on. Not in the slightest. I take some comfort in knowing that it's being done completely differently than most of us thought it would or how most of us believe it should be done.

Because up to this point, nothing else has worked.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Whipple and Shurmur will tag team the offense

To paraphrase, purp's pontbriand sig

fear us: for we have the Whipple/Shurmur Tagteam!

lol.

Whipple-Shurmur.... sounds like a degenerative bone disease or something.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Let's hope it's not for those who advocate Browns Sex .......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Hope you are right, KashDawg. Some source somewhere in the league is a bit vague and not necessarily a good source (unless you have a story deadline). I filed it with the "hours away" foolishness from earlier. Whipple was wanted apparently. If we bring in Clements, he may need a title thing to happen to be considered as a "promotional" step perhaps. I am not certain, but I won't be sure until announced by Browns, and it is post-SB. I am most concerned, if this proves true, about two items immediately: A) Game planning, and B)draft and trade and free agency as far as personnel coming and going. This is a truly weird situation that I never anticipated.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It is very rare.

YT...HOW RARE IS IT?

mac's results may vary.

That's not fair. He didn't ask how many teams had an OC ... he said how many head coaches call their own plays. Last I knew Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Bill Belichick were among those coaches that called their own plays ... and I also believe that Todd Haley was supposed to be calling his own again now that Weiss is gone.

I don't know the full number though.

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
With you, Clemdawg. I am not going pavement diving this week. This is something to be watched. Welcome aboard, Coach Whipple. Hope you score!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Quote:

we bring in Clements, he may need a title thing to happen to be considered as a "promotional" step perhaps.

All coaching positions, except Head Coach, are viewed as equal. Aside from giving someone the "Asst Head Coach" title, there is nothing that can be done to make it anything but a lateral move for any current coach.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Why am I not surprised to see Ytown upset about something.

I can't find one thread in which he isn't.

I will await for a clever rebuttal with an abuse of smilies. Maybe the and maybe if I am lucky

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

A rose by any other name....

Strikes me that Whipple and Shurmur will tag team the offense- with whipple helping in gameplan creation but Shurmur making gameday calls. They get away with this by having Jauron on the D-side, being very experienced and more or less self sufficient.

It's more like we have an OC and a DC and no head coach. Will it work? Who knows.

Lots of posts beneath this one to read....but I quoted this one because I think it's right on.

Shurmur+Whipple are the OC and Jauron is the DC. While unconventional a bit, there's no guarantee it will be a disaster.

The one common theme among winning and losing teams in the NFL is talent, or lack thereof. We have the talent to be a 6-win team. Until that changes, NO experienced or unexperienced coordinator is going to make us an 11-win team.

If Shipple is in control of the offense and Jauron is working on the D....I'm fine with that. I think it's funny how many are poo-pooing the idea and calling us the laughingstock of the NFL. We haven't even played a down with this setup and so many have already made up their mind. Goodness, let this play out a bit.

And wasn't it not too long ago that the HC would call all the plays on both sides? Or at least on the offensive side? How is this a recipe for failure?

....sorry, I took the liberty to create "Shipple" as the OC's name. Maybe it will stick. I know I won't be typing, "What are Shurmur/Whipple thinking by calling an end-around on 3rd and short?!" Shipple works (or something else created by another person).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Classicbut I immediately thought, "new Ben & Jerry's flavor."

O
Legend
Legend
O
"TRUST HOLMGREN" they said....

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I hope I am right also Bard Dawg. While I don't really think it is as big a deal as some are making it to be, I also have to wonder about the reasoning behind a rookie coach acting in 2 roles.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Legend
Legend
NRTU

I really, really hope that it's just speculation that we won't have an OC... I think the more help Shurmur can get the better... i'm still holding out hope that we look at Tom Clements for OC after the superbowl... as someone posted, we'll know a lot more after next week.

If we go in without an OC so be it... but I think having someone to take over the offense when Shurmur has to deal with other things would be more ideal. If he wants to call plays fine... but I want someone else to be there to take on a lot of the offensive responsibility when he gets busy with more HC detail.

<><

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I just thought of something else also. Another poster brought up the fact that if Whipple had the title of QB coach/OC he would feel better about it. Maybe that is Whipple's role, but they are leaving their options open by only giving him the QB coach title for now. If they are able to lure Clemente over, then they have an OC opening, if not, Whipple will act in both roles.

This leaves the option of hiring someone next year as well.

Just a thought.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I just thought of something else also. Another poster brought up the fact that if Whipple had the title of QB coach/OC he would feel better about it. Maybe that is Whipple's role, but they are leaving their options open by only giving him the QB coach title for now. If they are able to lure Clemente over, then they have an OC opening, if not, Whipple will act in both roles.

This leaves the option of hiring someone next year as well.

Just a thought.

That may have been me asking if the plan was to bring Whipple in as QB Coach/OC in training? Just not sure if it has merit,

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It is very rare.

YT...HOW RARE IS IT?

mac's results may vary.

That's not fair. He didn't ask how many teams had an OC ... he said how many head coaches call their own plays. Last I knew Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Bill Belichick were among those coaches that called their own plays ... and I also believe that Todd Haley was supposed to be calling his own again now that Weiss is gone.

I don't know the full number though.

The original question was "How many teams don't have an offensive coordinator?" in the original post I replied to with "It's rare".

Legend
Legend
I bet we go after somebody from the packers to be our OC

Legend
Legend
Great ... when the going gets tough, we'll now have Mr. Whipple telling the fans not to squeeze the Shurmur.

Legend
Legend
I think we should be able to win 8 games next year:

We play Pitt, Balt, Cincy, Jax, Miami, St Louis, Seattle, and Tennessee at home ...... There are 5 reasonable wins there, with Pitt, Balt, and Jax being games we would expect to lose. Jax is a game we could pull an upset in.

We play Balt, Pitt, Cincy, Arizona, Houston, Indy, Oakland, and San Francisco on the road, with Arizona, Houston, Oakland and San Francisco all as probable wins.

That's 9 or 10 possible wins ..... so 8 should be a reasonable expectation. This should be especially true if we add 2 or 3 more high quality draft picks, and a couple more high end free agents. 4 or 5 more high end starters, added to a team that would have been expected to win 8 ...... and if we don't win at least 8 games there's a problem.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't think we should be projecting wins for the 2011 season on January 31st. Before both free agency and the draft.

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
WOW, No OC

The Browns are on the clock for the 2012 draft!

Well, atleast we will get Andrew Luck

Go Browns !!!!
C
Legend
Legend
C
He would probably go back to school again. (He's only going to be a junior)

Legend
Legend
Why not? We do it all the time. lol

Besides, I'm sure we can agree that the team will have an easier schedule overall next year, even if 1 or 2 teams have that "surprise" jump that happens every year. Our team should be significantly improved if we add 1 or 2 quality free agents to upgrade 1 or 2 spots, and then add 2 or 3 impact drafted players. That's a significant upgrade of 3-5 spots overall, and an entire off-season for McCoy as the starter. That's huge too.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Classicbut I immediately thought, "new Ben & Jerry's flavor."

It should actually be Shurmur-Whipple .....

So ..........Please dont squeeze the Shurmur

Sorry

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Just so long as they don't turn into

SHURMUR-WHIPPLE

PUSH-HURL WIMPER

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think we should be projecting wins for the 2011 season on January 31st. Before both free agency and the draft.

Add into that, we don't even know if we'll have a season to count wins against in the first place.

I predict we'll get a lockout shortened 8-to-10 game season.

I also predict a lot of fantasy footballers will be crying a lot.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Is that one available? It was the one I was thinking of with Seely's departure. Again, I learned something. Did not know all were equal. Danke.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Except for the fact that we're going to be running two brand new systems possibly w/o the benefit of OTA's and mini camps to install them.

Last edited by Flap; 01/31/11 06:23 PM.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Brownoholic...#785639 - 01/31/11 11:26 AM... Weird.

First off, I haven't read any of the other posts yet.

I am wondering why it makes me feel like this isn't the way to do it BUT, if they had just told me Whipple was the OC AND QB coach, I would feel ok about it. Don't know why I feel that way, just do . . .

Can anyone shed light on the success (or lack there of...) of other teams that run or have run their offenses like this? Is it a rarity? Happen often? I have no clue . . .
.......................................................................................

YT...#785641 - 01/31/11 11:33 .....It is very rare.

The offensive coordinator does all of the preparation work during the week. he creates the offfensive gameplan, puts in team specific plays, runs the offensive practices, and so on.

If Shurmur was going to call his own plays, that's one thing. This is something else entirely.

I am stunned, and incredibly worried about what we're going to see on the field next year.
....................................................................................

mac...#785707 - 01/31/11 02:33 YT...HOW RARE IS IT?

..................................................................................

YT...so as not to lose context...I posted the original question by Brownoholic...then your response to him...then my question to you YT.

Care to try again?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Except for the fact that we're going to be running two brand new systems possibly w/o the benefit of OTA's and mini camps to install them.

You don't think that will be a problem, do you?? Don't forget, we're also going to clean house and convert our roster over to fit the 4-3 (in a year without Free Agency )

1st String
1st String
Quote:

We play Pitt, Balt, Cincy, Jax, Miami, St Louis, Seattle, and Tennessee at home ...... There are 5 reasonable wins there, with Pitt, Balt, and Jax being games we would expect to lose. Jax is a game we could pull an upset in.

We play Balt, Pitt, Cincy, Arizona, Houston, Indy, Oakland, and San Francisco on the road, with Arizona, Houston, Oakland and San Francisco all as probable wins.

What gives you any indication we should consider St. Louis, Tennessee, Miami, San Francisco, Houston, and Oakland probable wins? As much as it sucks, we are a bottom-tier team. Until we prove we can win more than 10 games in two seasons, we should expect to lose almost every game.

[Linked Image from i26.tinypic.com]
E
Rookie
Rookie
E
The Only thing that really matters in all of this, is his ability to coach up mccoy.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Whipple signed as QB coach- No OC

Link Copied to Clipboard