Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
COLUMBUS, Ohio β€” Ohio State University officials announced a self-imposed penalty to the NCAA of vacating wins from the 2010 football season as a penalty after a scandal that started with players selling memorabilia and trading them for tattoos.
The penalty includes vacating Ohio State's January Sugar Bowl win over Arkansas, according to the proposal obtained by 10 Investigates' Paul Aker.

The university submitted its response to the NCAA on Friday to several questions that were listed in the NCAA's notice of allegations the university received in April.

WEB EXTRAS: Ohio State Response | Jim Tressel Response
SPECIAL SECTION: NCAA Investigation

The scandal led to coach Jim Tressel's resignation and quarterback Terrelle Pryor's departure.

According to Ohio State's proposal, the university will impose two-year probation for the university and improve the university's compliance department.

The proposal said that Tressel has accepted responsibility for not alerting the NCAA sooner. Tressel's status would change from resigning as Ohio State's coach to retiring.

The university said that it will make its response public after blacking out the names of current student-athletes.

Ohio State is scheduled to go before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions on Aug. 12. The NCAA is expected to take several weeks to consider Ohio State's response before determining additional penalties against the university, Aker reported.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said on Friday that Tressel would appear before the Committee on Infractions on Aug. 12.

In an interview with the Associated Press on Thursday, Smith said that he and many Ohio State athletes feel betrayed by those who broke NCAA rules.

"It's been hard. This has hurt our fans. We've been damaged," Smith said. "We've really been hurt by the fact that everybody in the athletic department has been indicted because of the actions of a few."

Four players will miss the first five games of the season because of the scandal.

Stay with 10TV News and 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
no surprise here, the NCAA would have done the same anyway. I just hope we are bowl eligible this year. Still win less vs the SEC in bowl games, and now just 6 or 7 straight vs um, ive lost count.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
The NCAA said the tat 5 could play in the bowl game.

I'm confused.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
And so it begins....

β€œIt doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This stems from the 10.2, or whatever "major" violation

Legend
Legend
As of now the DMV bailed OSU out on the car thing. Unless something new comes out we will get only a 1-2 year bowl ban and maybe some scholarships lost.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'd imagine ratings was a main factor in why they were allowed to play.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Unless something new comes out we will get only a 1-2 year bowl ban and maybe some scholarships lost.

Is the widely expected punishment?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stupid question, but do opposing teams also vacate their losses?

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

As of now the DMV bailed OSU out on the car thing. Unless something new comes out we will get only a 1-2 year bowl ban and maybe some scholarships lost.

They cleared them on the car sales, not Pryor having multiple cars with dealer plates for months. His last car was OK'ed, not the rest that he had.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I'd imagine ratings was a main factor in why they were allowed to play.

how do you explain usc then?

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I also heard that they are allowing Tressel to retire rather than resign, are paying him $52,000 for June, and aren't fining him anymore.

To me, that looks bad. He caused this, and now he is essentially be rewarded. Granted he doesn't have a job now, but he gets all the benefits of a retired state employee when his own actions caused him to essentially be fired.

If I get fired for lying, you better believe I would get nothing for it.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Unless something new comes out we will get only a 1-2 year bowl ban and maybe some scholarships lost.

Is the widely expected punishment?

pretty much. I've seen most that actually think we'll get off slightly less than USC (national writers, not OSU guys) basically because Tressel fell on his sword for the team rather than the university (NCAA mostly blamed Tress in the letter, so it'll be interesting to see what they think of Fickell and the coaching staff being allowed to stay)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Stupid question, but do opposing teams also vacate their losses?

I don't believe so, need to look into the rule's.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Still win less vs the SEC in bowl games, and now just 6 or 7 straight vs um, ive lost count.

See, this is something of a silly point for me. If you ask me if OSU beat an SEC team last year in a bowl game...I'd say yes. If you ask me who won the Heisman in 2005...I'd tell you Reggie Bush. If you ask me who won all those games for Michigan in the 90's...I'd say the Fab 5.

It happened. We all saw the events. Take the award, title, or wins from the stat sheet all you want....they still happened in my book.

[Linked Image]

β€œ...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

they still happened in my book.

As did Denver missing the field goal in the 1986 over time ..ala the drive game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Wow...Just WOW...

Classic case of Cover Thy Ass...

Note to the AD at OSU...

The NCAA is still gonna hammer u with Scholarships and Bowl Games...Regardless of how much YOU decide to do with Tressell and Games forfeited...

WOW...And where;s this POS Pryor in all this???...Oh...BURN Pryor...Stupidity all around...

Go Browns!!!
N
Legend
Legend
N
where I think OSU has been terrible in all of this is keeping themselves in the news cycle.

it's been a slow drip of information coming out and the university themselves are responsible for much of it (changing Tressel's punishment, what 3 times? constantly coming out with new reports, etc.)

had they just kept everything under the hood, come up with 1 comprehensive self-audit, and self-imposed sanctions, then it would at least be better from a PR perspective.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Here's what I don't get:

There's been no definitive charges that Pryor did anything wrong with regard to cars.

There's been nothing new about the players involved since the season ended.

The NCAA suspended the players in question for games next season ...... and allowed the season to stand as it was. Their penalty was for next year.

The coach, as stated above, "fell on his sword". He took it for the team.

So .... why would OSU decide to vacate their entire season? They already did what the NCAA said they should do.

Plus, now the team is penalized for last season ... and for next season as well.

I just don't get it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Here's what I don't get:

There's been no definitive charges that Pryor did anything wrong with regard to cars.

There's been nothing new about the players involved since the season ended.

The NCAA suspended the players in question for games next season ...... and allowed the season to stand as it was. Their penalty was for next year.

The coach, as stated above, "fell on his sword". He took it for the team.

So .... why would OSU decide to vacate their entire season? They already did what the NCAA said they should do.

Plus, now the team is penalized for last season ... and for next season as well.

I just don't get it.

The NCAA won't annouce the official punishment for OSU until late August. OSU vacated the wins in an effort to lessen the punishment. Plus, the NCAA would have made them vacate the wins wither way, so do it willingly rather than making them do it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So Michigan finally figured out how to get a W against the Bucks?

Vacating these wins means nothing in reality. Maybe they have to return a few trophies or take down a banner or something but the reality is that the wins are only enjoyed by the fans in the moment. Does anyone really care about the win over xyz school from last year NOW? No. We Bucks fans enjoyed the win then and that's all that mattered.

Now, if more sanctions come down where we can't enjoy future victories...then it'll be a problem. Until that next season

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"So Michigan finally figured out how to get a W against the Bucks?"

No, Michigan didnt do anything, from the osu perspective, it's like the season (record wise) didnt exist. The question is, how do the records of the teams we beat get affected?

Does Michigan have 1 fewer loss against osu?

Legend
Legend
Some clown on ESPN said OSU should recieve a 5 year bowl ban

FYI that is worse than USC punishment. There is a huge difference between the two. USC was arrogant and didn't want to cooperate at all. OSU has tried and cooperated.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tressell gone, players suspended this year, vacate 2010 season wins, I would call that fair.

What did USC do and what was their punishment?

Legend
Legend
USC's scandal involved an agent, an assistant coach, tennis player, basketball player, football player and a big fat LOIC in THREE sports. Ohio State's scandal involves a head football coach and 6 players trading memoribilia for tats and cash and ONLY football. NO agent and NO LOIC.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The head coach is the big problem....the HC is viewed as an extension of the administration.

This was a nice preemptive move by OSU. It shows they understand the depth of the problem they face and it may lessen what the NCAA finally doles, but IMO there will be lost scholarships and post season bans...the question is how many and how long??

I hope the NCAA views these actions and allows some consideration when finally rendering a decision.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
The fact that they are cooperating is huge.

I anticipate 2-3 year bowl ban max and loss of scholarships.

Legend
Legend
I don't think it will be more than 2 years, if that. When OU came forward, albeit initially instead of after the fact, they only lost scholarships. The cover up might garner them 2 years of bowl bans but not more, IMO.

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

The fact that they are cooperating is huge.

I anticipate 2-3 year bowl ban max and loss of scholarships.

Sounds about right....though the bowl ban may be less depending on the numbers of scholarships lost....if it's high enough, they will be out of the bowl pic for a while....at least the type of bowl we are accustomed to seeing....where does the 3rd ,4th, or 5th place Big Ten team play??

But I would say at least a year.....maybe two.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
j/c

So, since OSU is now vacating their Sugar Bowl victory, does this mean I now need to wear an Arkansas shirt in public? I had a bet with an Uncle who is a professor at Arkansas. Winner buys the loser a shirt from winner's school. Loser wears said shirt in public and gets photo taken. So, now does this mean I've lost the bet?

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Some clown on ESPN said OSU should recieve a 5 year bowl ban

Had to be Mark May.

Joe Thomas made Justin Timberlake change his name. He didn't want wusses to have the same initials...

Dawg Talker since 3/26/2005...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ohio State waives fine, instead will pay Tressel $52,250

By Encarnacion Pyle
The Columbus Dispatch

Former Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel asked the university to allow him to retire instead of resign so he could be a Buckeye for the rest of his life, his attorney, Rex Elliott, said this afternoon.

"It leaves no doubt about his love for Ohio State and his desires to be a Buckeye forever," Elliott said.

Tressel officially retired from Ohio State on June 30, according to an agreement outlining his terms of departure that was signed today by the former coach and OSU President E. Gordon Gee.

Ohio State announced his resignation as head coach on May 30 amid increasingly bad publicity after Gee had proclaimed that Tressel wouldn't be fired even though had not revealed that he knew that at least two of his players had sold football memorabilia or traded them for tattoos, which are NCAA violations.

His contract was to expire on Jan. 31, 2015. If he had stayed, Tressel would have received about $3.6 million for the coming season.

Besides agreeing to change his resignation to retirement, Ohio State backed off its vow to collect a $250,000 fine for violating NCAA rules. Tressel argued that he had paid enough, Elliott said.

"Stepping down after 10 years as the Buckeyes' head coach will cost him far more than $250,000," he said.

Before his resignation, Tressel was to have been sanctioned with a five-game suspension in addition to being fined.

Instead, the university will pay him $52,250 - the equivalent of the salary and benefits he would have earned through the end of June 30th.

OSU's decision to drop the fine goes against an assertion by Gee last month that Tressel would be required to pay no matter what the other terms of his departure were.

"We've levied a $250,000 fine against the coach, and he will pay that," Gee told The Dispatch on June 11th.

Gee could not be reached this afternoon.

Tressel also will collect his unpaid sick and vacation time up to 250 hours and will be eligible for health-insurance coverage for himself and his family under the plan available to all state retirees, according to the settlement.

"I am grateful for this opportunity to retire from the university that I so deeply respect and that I will continue to support," Tressel said in a news release.

Ohio State also was required to respond today to the NCAA's formal allegations to the school.

That report includes a response by Tressel, 58, who says he should have reported the players when he first learned about the infractions in April 2010 and not signed a certificate of compliance on Sept. 13 that year.

In his statement, Tressel continues to maintain that he withheld the information because he feared for the safety of the players because the tattoo-parlor owner was a target in a federal drug investigation.

Under his contract, Tressel was to be offered a tenured faculty position at Ohio State, but Gee said last month that the coach's return as a teacher was "highly unlikely."

In their response to the NCAA violations allegations, Ohio State officials characterize Tressel's handling of the memorabilia tip as "out of character for him" and "contrary to his proven history of promoting an atmosphere of NCAA compliance within the football program."

During his years at Ohio State, Tressel wore a trademark sweater vest on the sidelines and had built up an image of having strong personal character and faith as well as for taking responsibility for life's challenges.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/07/08/0708-ohio-state-tressel.html

Legend
Legend
Arkansas did not win.

The game "didn't exist" basically.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Besides agreeing to change his resignation to retirement, Ohio State backed off its vow to collect a $250,000 fine for violating NCAA rules. Tressel argued that he had paid enough, Elliott said.

So OSU went from collecting 250K from him to giving him 52K?

Not that the dude is hurting for cash but that will buy a lot of sweater vests.

#GMSTRONG
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Arkansas did not win.

The game "didn't exist" basically.

Thanks! If that's the case, I now have a pic of my Uncle wearing OSU gear while he lectures his psych class of about 150 students for no reason. LOL!

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Over 10 years, there have been 28 cases that were major but lacked a violation of bylaw 2.8.1.

Anyone want to wager a guess how many of those 28 programs received a postseason ban? Anyone?Β 

Answer: ZERO.

https://web1.ncaa.org/LSDBi/exec/miSearch

I brought facts, now let haters bring "opinons."

If we get hit worse than USC it is a joke.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The head coach is the big problem....the HC is viewed as an extension of the administration.

This was a nice preemptive move by OSU. It shows they understand the depth of the problem they face and it may lessen what the NCAA finally doles, but IMO there will be lost scholarships and post season bans...the question is how many and how long??

I hope the NCAA views these actions and allows some consideration when finally rendering a decision.

I agree wholeheartedly... unfortunately because of O'Brien a few years back OSU is a repeat offender as well... I see them getting a little less than the USC punishment... I'd expect a 1-2 year ban of post-season play and some scholarship loss... it'll be interesting to see when the ruling actually comes down though, if we do lose post-season play will it take in affect for the 2012 season if the season has already started.

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The basketball violations from 2006 is what people are forgetting in all of this.

The NCAA will not look at this as "Oh, that was basketball, this is football ... Two seperate issues"

The NCAA will view them as a repeat offender that "lacks institutional control" (That will be the phrase they use).

Two year bowl ban, loss of scholarships is my guess.

Legend
Legend
I was one who originally forgot about the basketball issues which is why I just laugh at Smith when he says he thinks that the self imposed sanctions will be sufficient... I'll be a little surprised if Smith makes it through all this without getting retired...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

In a positive for the school, the NCAA did not cite Ohio State for "failure to monitor" or "failure of institutional control" violations. That charge typically carries the largest penalties.

"That was very significant," a person close to the investigation told The Columbus Dispatch.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...s-jim-tressel/1

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ohio State Offers To Vacate 2010 Football Wins, Including Sugar Bowl Friday

Link Copied to Clipboard