Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#614440 08/16/11 06:02 PM
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Titus Brown, seems to be making a case for himself as the air parent to the MLB position and is the buzz of the town right now.

If he can be a factor there, should we maybe flirt with the possibility of moving DQ Jackson over to the WIL?

Is Brown one of our 3 best LBers?

To this point Gocong is still the mystery man of the LBing crew? Maiava we think can cover in the nickel and still is a valuable asset.

Brain Smith could be a keeper if he can continue to build off of last week. Certainly he needs to shine on ST’s.

Are we better off at LBer then we appeared to be on paper?

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

let's hope so.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't know..I think brown is insurance against DQ going down. At least that's the way I view it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As of right now I feel like the LB spot is one of the weakest on the Team..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Agree. There is a definite lack of speed and coverage ability there.

I'm going to give Gocong a bit of an opportunity to show what he can do, but I think there's a good chance that the Browns would be better of with Maiava (whom I am not a big fan of) or Brown starting. Remains to be seen though.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Why then?

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Just clicking

Was it Shurmur that said that he thinks there may be a few LB's added when other teams start cutting down? if so, I'd think he feels as you guys do.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
BEREA, Ohio -- Is Titus Brown benefiting from the Browns coaching change or is it the other way around?

Brown has been an under-the-radar player, exclusively on special teams, first under Romeo Crennel and then under Eric Mangini. Now in his fourth year, Brown's game is expanding to defense, just as new coach Pat Shurmur is looking for linebackers.

"It's like it's meant for me to be here," Brown said of surviving two coaching changes. "I just have to take advantage of it."

He's doing that. On Saturday night, Brown scooped up a fumble of Green Bay quarterback Graham Harrell forced by rookie linebacker Brian Smith and returned it 43 yards for a touchdown. He also co-led the Browns with four tackles, including a tackle for a loss after he read a screen pass and played off a block.

The score in the third quarter secured Shurmur's first exhibition win as an NFL coach. That's a good way for a player to gain notice of his new head coach.

"He goes in that category with guys like Joe Haden, where they're out there practicing and no matter how gritty the day is, no matter how tough the drill, he's got a smile on his face," Shurmur said Tuesday. "He's got a little something to say. He's just got one of those fun personalities. You hate to see just total drudgery, even if that's what they're feeling. He finds a way not to express it."
titus-brown-mug-ap.jpgView full sizeAP photo"No matter how gritty the day is, no matter how tough the drill, he's got a smile on his face," head coach Pat Shurmur says of Brown.

Brown has also been noticed because of his physique. At 6-3 and a rock-hard 250 pounds, he's the most imposing of the backup linebackers. "Kind of that run-stuffer body type," Shurmur said.

Which is good for a middle linebacker in the 4-3 base defense. Brown currently is backing up D'Qwell Jackson. In the old 3-4 system, Brown played outside and inside, but not much of either.

"Being behind David Bowens, Eric Barton ... Matt Roth, there wasn't enough room for a guy to come in and play," Brown said. "Right now, those guys have done their time and retired and gone on and it looks like it's time for me to go in and step up to the plate."

Brown and 2009 fourth-round draft pick Kaluka Maiava are the only linebackers on the roster behind the starters with NFL game experience. There are five undrafted free agents, too, raising concerns about the need for veteran help. So far, the Browns are resisting bringing in an older hand. Shurmur seems content to patiently wait to see Brown and some of the others develop.

"We've got a great [position] coach in coach Bill Davis," Brown said. "If we just apply what he's teaching us, we won't need anybody. The guys getting reps are doing real well. Brian Smith made the play for me to scoop it up and score. We've got Ben Jacobs making strides, Archie (Donald), a lot of guys making plays."

In the 4-3, the middle linebacker is the quarterback of the defense, the one who wears the helmet with the headset to hear the coach's calls. As Brown's responsibilities in the defense expand, he paid tribute to Mangini for making him a better player in their two years together.

"Coach Mangini's one of the smartest coaches I've ever been around, as far as recall, as far as remembering anything, far as just being a student of the game," Brown said. "He instilled that in all the players. I took the skill set from him and try to apply it to this defense.

"He taught me watching film, learning defenses, learning where you're supposed to be, learning keys. I did [grow under him]."

Another thing Brown is trying to grow is his Twitter account. He's an active Tweeter, under the name GoHam59.

"That's just a slang terminology to go hard every play, do everything to the max," he said of his Twitter name. "I'm not trying to make [Twitter] more than it's supposed to be. Josh [Cribbs] has about 75,000 [followers]. Joe [Haden] about 60,000. I've got about 3,000. It's getting better."

He picked up a couple hundred followers after his touchdown. A few more plays like that and he'll be over 10,000 in no time.

By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

web page

He was our best interior linebacker in camp and also in preseason one year ago only to get cut in favor of Barton and Bowens. I was happy we got him back and even more happy to see him once again making plays for the Browns, this kid can ball.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thanks Mourg,

Quote:

Brown and 2009 fourth-round draft pick Kaluka Maiava are the only linebackers on the roster behind the starters with NFL game experience. There are five undrafted free agents, too, raising concerns about the need for veteran help. So far, the Browns are resisting bringing in an older hand. Shurmur seems content to patiently wait to see Brown and some of the others develop.

"We've got a great [position] coach in coach Bill Davis," Brown said. "If we just apply what he's teaching us, we won't need anybody. The guys getting reps are doing real well. Brian Smith made the play for me to scoop it up and score. We've got Ben Jacobs making strides, Archie (Donald), a lot of guys making plays."

I can't wait to see it on the field and I do like the youth movement here in regards to our backups over older vets.

[Linked Image]

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

"Coach Mangini's one of the smartest coaches I've ever been around, as far as recall, as far as remembering anything, far as just being a student of the game," Brown said. "He instilled that in all the players. I took the skill set from him and try to apply it to this defense.

"He taught me watching film, learning defenses, learning where you're supposed to be, learning keys. I did [grow under him]."

Nice to hear from the other perspective. Mangini may not have been the best coach for us. But he gave everything he had to make it work.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Titus Brown is one of my favorites to follow on twitter.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lack of experience / lack of speed / lack of depth ... Lack of speed has and will continue to haunt us .. I have never been a DQ fan .. All conjecture on my part ..

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
the coaches seem to be comfortable with DQ, Maiava, Gocong, Fujita and T. Brown as their top five.

that comfort is not shared by most fans.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

let's hope so.

We couldn't be worse off than we seem on paper. Not possible.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'm content with going into the season w/:

DQ
Maiva (who can play other LB spots)
Brown
Smith

It is what it is.. like Holmgren said.. Someone is gonna get thrown into the frying pan quick.. They are just gonna have to deal w/ it, and if they are a good player, they will hold their own and make a few plays from time to time. If not, then we have two 1st round picks next year to address the LB spots if necessary.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

the coaches seem to be comfortable with DQ, Maiava, Gocong, Fujita and T. Brown as their top five.

that comfort is not shared by most fans.

I have a comfort level that this line up is ok for now. It's not great and it's not dominating but it's also not finished.... we are not in a position to go out and make a big play for a big name. It's sort of like the WR position, very young, some potential... so let's play out this season and see how the young guys do. Heck, because of DQ's missed time I sort of include him in the "young guys" category since it's a new system and he hasn't played in 2 years. I would not be suprised at all if LB and WR are two of our top positions to address in next years draft.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I'll wait until I see more of Titus Brown than just a couple of plays against backups in a pre-season game before I go elevating him in my mind.
The touchdown is nothing. It's a nice play and all, but he's reaping the reward for the guy that actually made the play: Brian Smith. It also happened against the backups.

I have yet to see anything for me to get excited about him being part of our lineup, however.

Fujita should do well for us, but Gocong in a 4-3 should be a minor concern.... part of why we were able to get him is that he wasn't fitting all that well into Philly's 4-3 and he was always projected as much more of a 3-4 tweener.

DQ is DQ. He'll do fine, but he's gotta start making plays closer to the LOS. He fits the typical Cleveland LB mold in that he has a tendency to make most of his tackles far to far down field.

As for the rest of the ilk like Maiava and Smith?? Good grief, let's actually see them do something.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

DQ is DQ. He'll do fine, but he's gotta start making plays closer to the LOS.

To me this is the single most telling factor with your LBing crew.

Are they making tackles at the LOS or are they making tackles down field? Coverage is secondary if they can't stop the run.

This is what I will be looking at from our LBers here in preseason and beyond.

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
I agree and will add that alot will have to do with how well our DEs disrupt the outside running lanes (I have more faith in Rubin and Taylor disrupting the inside)

#gmstrong
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
by Marty Gitlin - Smith, Malava take advantage of absences
Brian Smith and Kaluka Maiava are receiving first-team reps at OLB in the absence of Scott Fujita and Chris Gocong. Titus Brown, who has been impressive, is backing up MLB D'Qwell Jackson. Browns RapidReports

[Linked Image]

T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

That's ok to me, because I'm quite sure the lb spots were the weakest parts of the team in 1994, or was it 95, or the 93-4 season? I'm talking about the year they won 11 and were tied for 2nd in the afc in wins and 3rd or so in the NFL and

they last won a playoff game, (good rb's were necessary and te's to accomplish that) and that year they lost 3 times to pittsburgh, the last one in the playoffs... and the closest they came to beating that team was the first matchup

and in the first matchup they did more of long passes to stretch the field, so getting them back to getting over the hump of

dominating the Steelers, dominating the division and winning playoff games and winning 2nd round playoff games and even more would require them to
Throw Long!

Is Titus Brown one of the best 3 lb's on the team?
Not yet anyway.

Are the Lb's better than on paper? Everybody has a different paper, but from what you suggest?
Yes, they're better.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Is Titus Brown one of the best 3 lb's on the team?
Not yet anyway.

Are the Lb's better than on paper? Everybody has a different paper, but from what you suggest?
Yes, they're better.

Of coarse you can't come to a conclusion based on the body of work to this point, but It presents questions down the road.

As I stated Gocong is is still a mystery man and quite honestly that position is of the most concern to me.

On another note; I like the fact that Maiava and Smith are getting reps with the 1st team, because that's where they are best judged and the experience can be beneficial, because as much as the our starting LBers have been questioned (by the fans) I think that our depth is (has been) even more of a question mark and rightfully so, but we might not be in as bad a shape as some would have you believe.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Regarding Titus Brown, I wonder if anyone else sees the similarity between him and Eddie Johnson.. He reminds me a little of Eddie..

We should be so lucky to have found another Eddie Johnson...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Regarding Titus Brown, I wonder if anyone else sees the similarity between him and Eddie Johnson.. He reminds me a little of Eddie..

We should be so lucky to have found another Eddie Johnson...

Eddie was so underrated, but yeah Brown seems to have the same demeanor.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

dominating the Steelers, dominating the division and winning playoff games and winning 2nd round playoff games and even more would require them to
Throw Long!

Shameless hussy

Speaking of the Steelers and Harrison to be specific, who was an UDFA LBer.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could do the same.

Stay tuned

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Personally I would start Brown.

I, obviously, don't think much of Jackson, and would like to start working on replacing him this year. Even in the 1st game, Jackson never attacked the line like a MLB should. He kinda hung back, and made his tackles 5-8 yards downfield ..... like usual.

He simply is not, and never will be a game changer of any kind. He might be somewhat competent ..... but the unemployed football player ranks are filled with "competent" players. I expect that Jackson can make the ordinary plays. IMHO however, this is all he is capable of.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
::shaking my head::

I'm wondering just why it is - aside from some broadcasters pimping on-air him during a preseason game - that Titus Brown is getting thought of so highly.

What have I missed? What has he done to make people think that he's anything more than a backup??

I'm firmly of the belief - until I see more against better competition - that all of this hype is just that, hype.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
I think that he's a bright guy, and has the physical tools.

Plus, could he really be worse than Jackson?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
We don't know. We haven't seen Jackson play in this scheme yet. Brown wasn't able to unseat DQ when we played a base 3-4. What makes you think he's better than DQ now?

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Two Words: Kevin Bentley.

it can ALWAYS be worse.

Browns is the Browns

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Personally I would start Brown.

I, obviously, don't think much of Jackson, and would like to start working on replacing him this year. Even in the 1st game, Jackson never attacked the line like a MLB should. He kinda hung back, and made his tackles 5-8 yards downfield ..... like usual.

He simply is not, and never will be a game changer of any kind. He might be somewhat competent ..... but the unemployed football player ranks are filled with "competent" players. I expect that Jackson can make the ordinary plays. IMHO however, this is all he is capable of.

I don't think we have seen enough to come to a conclusion, but I like the way Coach Shurmur referred to Brown (and Smith for that matter) as being a 'heavy handed' guys I think that might be the way he describes a thump'er

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

We don't know. We haven't seen Jackson play in this scheme yet. Brown wasn't able to unseat DQ when we played a base 3-4. What makes you think he's better than DQ now?

also, the coaches don't think he's better than DQ because he is backing him up.

and the coaches don't think he is good enough to try out at OLB with the other injuries (instead giving those opportunities to others).

i hope all the August hype on Titus is real because it would be nice, but something doesn't quite smell right on this one (a guy who hasn't started for 3 different regimes and who isn't supposed to start for this one and is getting 'held down' as a backup even with a rash of injuries at a similar position).

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
In a word, yes. And none of our LBs are great.

LBs will come next year. We have a very good OL, we addressed DL in the last draft, and hopefully we can add a Pro Bowl caliber LB in the next draft. I think we have a good foundation, and just need to add a few key parts - stud LB.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

In a word, yes. And none of our LBs are great.

LBs will come next year. We have a very good OL, we addressed DL in the last draft, and hopefully we can add a Pro Bowl caliber LB in the next draft. I think we have a good foundation, and just need to add a few key parts - stud LB.

Vontaze Burfict.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

also, the coaches don't think he's better than DQ because he is backing him up.

There does appear to be competition there and that's always a good thing I think.

Naturally Brown can not play two positions on the 2nd unit, so others must fill that position and I just don't think his skill set lends it self to the WIL position.

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
i was just saying that if the staff truly thought he was our 4th best LB, then I think they would let him have his chance to take Fujita's place while he is out (if he is more SOLB - or Gocong's place at WOLB if they like him better there).

the fact that he's still playing 2nd unit despite those 2 injuries, leaves me to believe that this is mostly preseason hype.

#gmstrong
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

i was just saying that if the staff truly thought he was our 4th best LB, then I think they would let him have his chance to take Fujita's place while he is out (if he is more SOLB - or Gocong's place at WOLB if they like him better there).

the fact that he's still playing 2nd unit despite those 2 injuries, leaves me to believe that this is mostly preseason hype.

Fair enough. It's just that some of the hype seems to be coming out of the Browns themselves.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Vontaze Burfict.

I want him too.. but no so sure.. Heard he recently just punched one of his teammates... link :smh:

there are a few other good MLB's out there though.. Kuechly @ Boston Coll., Manti Te'o @ Notre Dame, and Courtney Upshaw @ Alabama.. Heckert will have his options if he avoids Burfict.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Vontaze Burfict.

I want him too.. but no so sure.. Heard he recently just punched one of his teammates... link :smh:

there are a few other good MLB's out there though.. Kuechly @ Boston Coll., Manti Te'o @ Notre Dame, and Courtney Upshaw @ Alabama.. Heckert will have his options if he avoids Burfict.

It's a possibility that we could draft a MLB in the 1st round with one of our two 1st round selections, but I think it's more possible that we could draft an OLBer and the guy I like is not a house hold name like some, but I really Like Travis Lewis from Oklahoma for the WIL position.

[Linked Image]

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

Vontaze Burfict.

I would definitely take Te'o as well. I just think Te'o will get drafted higher and was hoping for Burfict later. And I'm not too worried from what was said in that article.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Line Backer debate

Link Copied to Clipboard