Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Colt's td made it 17-10 against SF.

Colt gets hit more often at the end of a drop back than any QB in the NFL right now. Thats unforgivable on the offense. We have an OL that couldnt block a doorway. Cant run block, cant pass block, cant block for a FG, cant block out noise to not false start...I cant count how many times just this past week Colt was hit before he finished his drop back...thats awful. That cant happen, no QB can succeed in that environment. Brady has looked awfully ordinary the last few weeks since his OL has been worse and they have no deep threat and people have realized that.

G QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds Y/G Y/A TD Int Rush Yds Y/G Avg TD Sack YdsL Fum FumL
Last 4 Games 4 88.3 103 158 65.2 1150 287.5 7.3 7 5 6 25 6.3 4.2 0 12 84 2 1
Week 5 (NYJ) 1 100.7 24 33 72.7 321 321.0 9.7 1 1 1 3 3.0 3.0 0 4 27 0 0
Week 6 (DAL) 1 82.3 27 41 65.9 289 289.0 7.0 2 2 4 17 17.0 4.3 0 3 19 0 0
Week 8 (@PIT) 1 101.8 24 35 68.6 198 198.0 5.7 2 0 0 0 0.0 N/A 0 3 28 1 0
Week 9 (NYG) 1 75.4 28 49 57.1 342 342.0 7.0 2 2 1 5 5.0 5.0 0 2 10 1 1

Thats his stats the last 4 games...individually and in a group. His TDs and YPA are the only good stats there.

With a subpar OL and no deep WR any QB will struggle.

This is a team that just has more things to fix than QB. the QB we have here can get us to the playoffs. Thats my opinion anyway...What we dont have, is an OL or WRs that can do anything well. He gets hit and then hit again...He looks beat up, and he continues to drop back, take the heat and make plays...Bad QBs dont do much in "garbage time" see Curtis Painter and Blaine Gabbert...Mediocre QBs do, and right now thats what McCoy is. Mediocre...I want to see what he can do with an AJ Green-type WR and a RT that isnt awful.

Until then...i just dont trust anyone's judgment

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If that is true, that worries me. You should play to the strenght of your players, not try to bang a square peg into a round hole

One of the best traits of some of the best coaches ever was the abilty to adapt the system to the players they have. Noll, Brown, Halas, Shula (don)

All HOF coaches. They didn't always have players that fit perfectly into thier systems.. They had to adjust to get the most out of players.. At least until they found the player that fit.

I used to think that was a weakness of Belichick. He had Kosar and instead of embracing him for what he was, he wanted him to be what he wasn't.

Truth be told, Brady isn't the kinda QB Belichick wanted either.. Without Charlie Wiess, I'm not sure Belichick would have all those rings. We'll never really know for sure I guess

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
N
Legend
Legend
N
thank you for injecting some common sense.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

To even mention Manning and McCoy in the same sentence is downright laughable ... possibly criminal. Apples and whatever the hell is as far away from apples as possible.

Manning today vs Colt today,, yeah,, that's laughable for sure..

Manning as a rookie vs Colt today... Not quite as laughable really.

The stats are for losers thing is true. I agree whole heartedly.

There really isn't much else to go on but what you see and that's so damn subjective.

I saw where one poster said that the oline wasn't as bad as some were saying. Man, I don't know what the hell he was looking at, but what I saw was horrible line play.

HORRIBLE

But Horrible line play doesn't support this Anti McCoy sentiment that is flashing through this board.

Colt is a rookie,, believe it or not, it takes time to learn this system.. I can't believe that after 9 games, people have given up on him,, in fact, how crazy is it when fans are yelling about firing Holmgren...

KNEE JERK REACTIONS.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

All that being said the kid has already played under 2 different coaching staffs....we need to give him some playmakers next year and see how he progresses. The next years 16 will be the true test i think depending on how our running game is and how we play as a team overall

Are you kidding? The thought of another year with Colt at the helm is absolutely depressing. Not only that, he will probably get killed. Every team he faces is going to bring the house on just about every play. He's not going to suddenly develop a quicker mind and a quick release.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I don't find it nearly as depressing as I would have thought I would. As long as *something* is done to advance the state of our WR corps, I'd be fine with giving Colt another season.

I certainly do not find Colt to be blameless in this, but seriously.. when Greg Little is your top WR what can you really expect?

The guy wasn't even playing last year and was splitting time as a WR and RB the year before that. He's TOTALLY still learning the position, and besides him what do we have? An invisible MoMass, Cribbs and ... Norwood?

That isn't a lot for anyone to work with.

I do wonder why the hell Evan Moore isn't in more, though... he's big and reliable.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
yeah ... and Charlie Frye was Joe Montana ...... Tim Couch was Steve Young (only right handed) and so on ........

Heck, I think that Spurgeon Wynn was Terry Bradshaw .... only we pulled the plug too soon.

Heck ... if we hadn't been so impatient, we could still have Luke McCown today ......

Just because one QB has some passing statistical similarity to another does not make them the same QB. If I have a Yugo, and it has 4 wheels, a steering wheel, engine, transmission, and turn signals ..... that does not make it the equal of a Porsche .... no matter how much "experience" it gets.

Manning is a Porsche. McCoy, thus far, looks like a Yugo ... somewhat serviceable, but you aren't going to win any races with him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
A big reason I'm all about Justin Blackmon. I'm not sold on McCoy, but a guy like Blackmon could open things up for him. Assuming McCoy could get him the ball...

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Legend
Legend
B
I know you weren't, but don't even go Manning....even if you are talking Eli....Colt is nowhere near a Manning talent level and never will be.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I'll go ahead and agree with this.

I'm still holding out hope that the Colts decide to trade the pick and stay with Manning, but that is a far-fetched option.

I'd much rather give Colt McCoy another year than draft another unproven rookie or sign a veteran guy (Matt Flynn?).

Legend
Legend
I'm not even talking about the mythical "opening things up for him" bit.... I'm talking about giving us a few WR's that know where to go and when so that people are where they are supposed to be and looking for the ball when they should be. Guys that can make the right sight adjustments to their routes, and run good solid routes so they are where the QB expects them to be and can find them.

I honestly don't believe for a second that we have that with our current WR's which - I believe - is why we look more like a sandlot team that has to wait for a receiver to be stationary or WIIIIIDE open before we can get them the ball.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

McCoy, thus far, looks like a Yugo

What about a LeCar?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Off subject, but I find it funny that Mike Polk wears a #64 jersey

[Linked Image]

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Honestly, from seeing the Browns in person this year, you guys really need to get rid of your wide receivers coach; your wide outs run TERRIBLE routes. When the WR doesn't look back for the ball, or when he rounds off his corners when coming out of a break for a route, then you've got big problems.

That being said: get a young RT, and a threat at WR. And spread the field more, you've got all those TE's, use them (much like NE does). Just my opinion though.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Great quote in the Beacon Journal today about how Shurmur won't let Colt operate out of the shotgun because it doesn't fit with the version of the WCO he wants to run.

Yeah, (and I know it was the BJ and not you who brought it up), but what we don't need to do is prolong learning the offense. We could run the hurry-up from the shotgun for the rest of the season and by year's end we'll be no closer to being able to run a legit offense than we are now.

They've got to keep plugging at it. It will get better. It's not just Colt. It's the entire offense. Until they get some timing and rhythm it will look a mess. Putting Colt in the shotgun might be a short-term solution for a drive or two here or there, but it will do nothing to help the team in moving forward.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

One of the best traits of some of the best coaches ever was the abilty to adapt the system to the players they have. Noll, Brown, Halas, Shula (don)

All HOF coaches. They didn't always have players that fit perfectly into thier systems.. They had to adjust to get the most out of players.. At least until they found the player that fit.

Since they've gutted the team and are determined to build through the draft they will continue to find the players that fit. It's not like they're handcuffed to a bunch of high dollar vets they can't move away from.

I believe that's one reason they didn't bring in a vet receiver. I believe they wanted to see who fit out of what we already had knowing their body of work was not enough to get a good evaluation from. Robiskie is gone. Didn't fit. Little is in. Fits. Let's see who makes the grade after the season is over. At that point they'll know what they have and can move on from there.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's one thing to find players that fit the mold of what you expect of our scheme, but at the end of the day, wins on the field come from coaching the players your have to the best of their talents. Not scouring for every possible strategy to win is a recipe for failure. Granted these comments looked to be made by a member of the press so it's a bit premature to assume that shurmur can't adjust... We are running more than we have early in the season; albeit with our #3 and #4 backs

I'm still not sure why people expected a better year though. We have definite needs at key positions like WR, RT, DE, LB, DB, and Safety. With that many positions in dire need of upgrade, our chances to be competitive period were going to be slim. I've taken this year as just an evaluation year as hard as it is to stomach. That doesn't even touch on possible needs we'll have at years end like QB, G, and RB. Frankly I'm amazed we have won more than one game.

If there is a silver lining to all of this, it is that I do feel that the guys in the front office H&H are building this right. Complementary players, Youth at key positions, solid early round picks for the most part, etc.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Manning started off his career with 3 TDs and 11 INT in his 1st 4 games. He improved greatly from there.

McCoy is heading in the opposite direction. Instead of improving, he is regressing.

Manning had an established HC (Jim Mora) as his HC, even though both were their initial seasons with the Colts. The Browns have had two different HCs in McCoy's first to seasons in the league, including a rookie HC that wasn't even a success as an OC with his former team, in this current season.

Manning also had Edgerrin James in his second year after having Marshall Faulk in his rookie season. In addition, he had a receiving threats in Marvin Harrison and Marcus Pollard, who was a very good TE.

Does McCoy have an established HC? A running threat? A receiving threat? Sure, he's got a great group of receiving TEs, but the HC (also the OC) doesn't know how to do effective play calling.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Honestly, from seeing the Browns in person this year, you guys really need to get rid of your wide receivers coach; your wide outs run TERRIBLE routes. When the WR doesn't look back for the ball, or when he rounds off his corners when coming out of a break for a route, then you've got big problems.

That being said: get a young RT, and a threat at WR. And spread the field more, you've got all those TE's, use them (much like NE does). Just my opinion though.

Thanks for your observations.

It's been an ongoing debate with our WR's ... Lack of Talent or system.

I think that those questions have been answered. We waived Robiskie and I can see more changes to come at the position, but that will have to wait until next season.

One thing I know for certain and that is there is no silver bullet in turning this team around. I'll be happy to get a go to WR and a young and talented RT to start.

[Linked Image]

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for your observations.

It's been an ongoing debate with our WR's ... Lack of Talent or system.

I think that those questions have been answered. We waived Robiskie and I can see more changes to come at the position, but that will have to wait until next season.

One thing I know for certain and that is there is no silver bullet in turning this team around. I'll be happy to get a go to WR and a young and talented RT to start.

Patience is key. I will say this though: your team has potential on defense. That d-line is going to be ridiculous in a couple years.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Colt McCoy looks a lot like a guy who I got so disgusted by I only referred to him as #9.

The difference being McCoy doesn't run around like a chicken with his head cut off as much. But their games are similar. Both get skittish and both throw short.

C
1st String
1st String
C
ah yes...stat based arguments.

the last bastion of casual fans that dont really understand what theyre watching.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

If that is true, that worries me. You should play to the strenght of your players, not try to bang a square peg into a round hole

Thanks for the perfect jumping-off point, Gage.

Look, I'm not gonna dive head-first....yet again.....into another McCoy thread. It's old. We'll get a helluva body of work by the end of this year and will have a very good read on McCoy.

But I DO wanna defend Shurmur here.

I've watched what this offense did to start the year, and I've watched what it's turned into. Shurmur ABSOLUTELY HAS adapted this offense to better help McCoy and the things he can handle. We've seen that McCoy gets confused once he gets past his first read, and either takes off running or forces bad throws more than what's acceptable. Shurmur has simplified the routes and the reads, making for easier throws.

Now, here's something people really need to think about when it comes to McCoy: If you let him go a bunch more from the shotgun, the thing he's more comfortable with, are we REALLY doing what's best for him and the organization?

Think about that before you form an opinion.....

Running a shotgun-heavy offense isn't a recipe for success here. There are only so many Tom Brady's and Peyton Manning's in the history of the league. If McCoy is going to be the QB we need for the next decade, he's going to have to learn a conventional offense. He isn't going to do that out of the gun, so people should really be thankful Shurmur feels that way, if it's even truthful.

Having said that, I saw McCoy out of the gun plenty last game, and have seen him in the gun in previous games as well. Hell, the REAL WCO (the one Lombardi says we absolutely run DOPE! ) never used the shotgun at all.

But I digress....

There's a bunch of blind anger for the coach because people don't know where to point the finger.

Here's a fact: If you are one of the people that are willing to excuse McCoy's production because of numerous factors, then you MUST also excuse Shurmur. You cannot have it both ways. If the blockers aren't blocking for McCoy, and if the receivers aren't running the right routes, making catches, or getting separation, then there isn't any offense that can succeed. McCoy cannot escape blame while Shumur must endure it.

Let me take it a step further.....

Shumur wasn't handed these players. He didn't bring them in. Shurmur has been handed this roster. I don't see a coach in the league that could be making this bunch a winner. He can only do so much with the limited athletic ability on the line, the limited experience at the WR position, and the limited tools that McCoy has shown so far.

Shumur has been asked to install a difficult offense with this bunch.

Yeah. Goodluck with that.

I've been critical of his personnel groupings, but I see him adjusting to help McCoy. I also saw him do wonders with Bradford in his first year. That absolutely counts for something.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agreed with your post Toad

I think the assessment that the coach isn't changing things up is conjecture for the most part; I have seen adjustments from game to game. The houston game was very hard to watch so its easy to jump off and yell at whoever we feel deserves blame. As I mentioned a few weeks back however, if we can't make defenses pay for bringing the house, they aren't going to stop doing it. And so far we haven't made them pay for pinning their ears back in the short passing game. We also don't make enough medium/deep attempts to have them play honest and let our running backs work. We're down to our third stringer for a while, we need to get them some help. Hillis may have been able to make 3 yards out of nothing but Ogbannaya isn't a back like that.

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Shumur wasn't handed these players. He didn't bring them in. Shurmur has been handed this roster.

Just reread this. Pretty goofy

I was thinking about the 3rd sentence while typing the 1st.

Was SUPPOSED to say Shurmur wasn't hand-picking these players.....

And that's why we shouldn't post this late at night.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Agreed with your post Toad

I think the assessment that the coach isn't changing things up is conjecture for the most part; I have seen adjustments from game to game. The houston game was very hard to watch so its easy to jump off and yell at whoever we feel deserves blame. As I mentioned a few weeks back however, if we can't make defenses pay for bringing the house, they aren't going to stop doing it. And so far we haven't made them pay for pinning their ears back in the short passing game. We also don't make enough medium/deep attempts to have them play honest and let our running backs work. We're down to our third stringer for a while, we need to get them some help. Hillis may have been able to make 3 yards out of nothing but Ogbannaya isn't a back like that.

Agreed on all accounts.

The Texans game was a perfect example of what a defense is doing to us. They were blitzing the HELL out of us. There just wasn't any reason to not blitz. Until we prove we can beat a defense, they'll keep coming.

As for Oogy, he can catch a little, but he lacks burst, vision, and blocking prowess. Other than that, he's a stud.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I know you weren't, but don't even go Manning....even if you are talking Eli....Colt is nowhere near a Manning talent level and never will be.

He also lacks alot of the physicals the best QB's have and have had in the past...Nothing will change that...

He's a Doug Flutie with less arm...And that's being generous...

Go Browns!!!
Legend
Legend
Couldn't agree more, Purpl! Regardless of what is going on and for whatever reasons Shurmy and FO wish to give (or ignore), recognize the reality of the here and now. Change some stuff and demand some change from those failing to produce. At least fail in a fresh direction. Shorter routes, more screens, misdirection in the mix. Stop most of the play action; do more shotgun. With this line, it is like premeditation in a court of law; at least let McCoy run. MAKE RECEIVERS look for the ball. Try to change something(s) that is killing you.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

I've watched what this offense did to start the year, and I've watched what it's turned into. Shurmur ABSOLUTELY HAS adapted this offense to better help McCoy and the things he can handle. We've seen that McCoy gets confused once he gets past his first read, and either takes off running or forces bad throws more than what's acceptable. Shurmur has simplified the routes and the reads, making for easier throws.

I am not going to debate you on your point that Shurmur has adapted/simplified the offense since the beginning of the year.

I will say though that you appear to pin the blame solely on McCoy for the need to dummy-down the offense. You seemingly ignore the fact that the WRs & RBs who are getting the starts/reps are 3-5 on the depth chart.

Maybe...just maybe...Shurmur has dummy-downed the offense so the WRs & RBs have a chance to do something right/consistently. My guess is that it's a combination of both...plus the porous offensive line. (Not going any deeper on this counter-point tho.)

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C

Since the comparison or should I say contrast has been made several times in this thread between Manning and McCoy, I'd love to read some press clippings/reviews from Manning's rookie year. Too bad we don't have a Colts message board archive to look back and see if they were calling Manning a wasted pick.

Don't read anything into the above, I'd just love to see what the vibe was around Indy at the time.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

I'd much rather give Colt McCoy another year than draft another unproven rookie or sign a veteran guy (Matt Flynn?).

Actually, I'm kind of liking the idea of going after Flynn. He's been training in the WCO under one of the best QB's going right now. He's a FA, i just can't see greenbay being able to keep this guy. I like the move on so many levels. Flynn vs Colt- let the best man win. Take those two first round picks and add some speed to this team. I think Flynn is limited as well, i don't see him having a cannon arm either- but it beats drafting a QB when we have so many needs on this team.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Running a shotgun-heavy offense isn't a recipe for success here. There are only so many Tom Brady's and Peyton Manning's in the history of the league. If McCoy is going to be the QB we need for the next decade, he's going to have to learn a conventional offense.

Please elaborate on this... why you mention Manning and Brady in the middle of this statement.

Also, isn't going to the shotgun with quick passes a good way to beat the blitz? Or should we keep running 5- and 7-step drops because it's "good for the team?"

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Since you are mico managing the stats ... In all fairness you would have to know how many of Manning's TD's/ yards where in garbage time, because they all get garbage time stats if that's what you want to call it.

I'll just throw this out and those who love to use stats can make of what they want.. (McCoy's stats are just for this year because I didn't feel like averaging in last years even though they are similar in some places and different in others last year) but here is a summary.

Manning and Colt are completely opposite in this regard.

According to the situational stats, Manning had great numbers as a rookie when he was ahead (which wasn't often, he only had 150 attempts while ahead) and his numbers were good. When he was behind, which was over 350 attempts, his numbers were horrible. His completion percentage was way down, his YPA was way down, his TD to INT ratio was awful... when he was behind.

Colt is pretty much the reverse, when we are ahead, (which again ain't often) his numbers are bad but when behind, his numbers are much better.

When tied, Manning is far better.

Manning was at his best in the first quarter then leveled out at sub par in the following 3 quarters.. with ratings in the 68-70 range...

McCoy is absolutely horrendous in the first quarter, (50.5) very good in the second, (93.9) horrendous again the third (55.9) and good in the 4th (86.4). McCoy's best quarter is by far the second quarter.. (I guess that could be garbage time).. He is completing over 57% has a 6.8 ypa, has 5 TDs and 1 INT and has 6 of his 13 over 20 yard passes in that quarter.. and a rating of 93.9. His numbers are similar in the 4th with a higher completion percentage but a lower YPA... 3 of his 6 INTs have come in the 3rd quarter with 1 each in the other 3 quarters...

Somebody might want to dissect why we are in week 10 and we haven't scored a TD in the 1st or 3rd quarter yet...

McCoy is also a lot better than Manning was in the redzone in virtually every category.. completing 65.2% to Mannings 44.6%.. and Manning had 2 INTs and sack in the redzone and McCoy has had neither.

The stats that jump out though, and they talked about it this weekend, are why do we suck so bad in the 1st and 3rd quarter? and why do we seem to do well in the 2nd quarter? I guess its sort of obvious that we tend to do better in the 4th because in a number of games, that really has been garbage time.... But the 2nd quarter stands out as an anomaly.. When you are terrible in the 1st quarter which is when you are playing off of your game plan... then good in the 2nd quarter, when you have made adjustments... well, that, to me, sounds like a preparation problem.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Shotgun would feel comfortable to Colt for a short while sure because its a look he had alot in college. But I don't think that comfort level will last because you have to make very fast reads spreading the offense out like that and teams will stunt and pass blitz more because the run threat is reduced.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

A big reason I'm all about Justin Blackmon. I'm not sold on McCoy, but a guy like Blackmon could open things up for him. Assuming McCoy could get him the ball...

This the very thing I've pondered on but just briefly..witha a talented deep threat receiver,I look at it like this.
McCoy cannot go deep consistantly ,in fact he doesn't make the attempt unless he's flushed and looks to go long .
So in that regard a deep threat is neutralized by his lack of a gun.
Now in the short/intermediate routes he should be better with someone like JB..and provided the Oline is upgraded,
So it still limits the production of a Blackmon with McCoy at the helm.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I will say though that you appear to pin the blame solely on McCoy for the need to dummy-down the offense. You seemingly ignore the fact that the WRs & RBs who are getting the starts/reps are 3-5 on the depth chart.

I can see where it would appear that way.

Only the RB's are at the bottom of the depth chart. Little is a rookie. The rest are vets.

I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to recall I defended the notion that having no OTA's affected our implementation of the WCO, or that I did note in a game-rewind in the beginning of the year that I did I see receivers struggling with the complex patterns, as they were still learning. Having said that, when an OC simplifies an offense, it's done primarily for the QB.

I'm not saying it's all on McCoy. I never have. I won't say we've had to dumb down the offense just for McCoy, but I can say he's the primary reason.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Running a shotgun-heavy offense isn't a recipe for success here. There are only so many Tom Brady's and Peyton Manning's in the history of the league. If McCoy is going to be the QB we need for the next decade, he's going to have to learn a conventional offense.

Please elaborate on this... why you mention Manning and Brady in the middle of this statement.

Also, isn't going to the shotgun with quick passes a good way to beat the blitz? Or should we keep running 5- and 7-step drops because it's "good for the team?"

Of course....anything for you, Steve.

Let me address your second part first.

I'm not advocating eliminating the shotgun. I'm against going shotgun-heavy to accommodate McCoy's comfort level stemming from the fact that's what he did for his entire college career as a QB. Big difference. That chain of messages are in response to those who feel that we need to go more from the gun to "take advantage of the things McCoy is comfortable with to get better production from him."

That leads to your question as to why I mentioned Brady and Manning.....

Those two are gifted enough to run a shotgun-heavy offense at any time they want. They routinely come out and throw from the gun on 1st and 2nd down. They are once-in-a-generation type players, and are A-typical of what a team should expect from their offense when needing balance. McCoy can't be those guys, and we aren't running that kind of offense.

We run the WCO, or at least a version of it. It's the offense that has won Super Bowls, and has put teams as division winners year after year. The offense works, but only if the players can run it. McCoy is coming from a dink-dunk, shotgun, spread offense in college. That doesn't work in the NFL. He has to learn the WCO if he's going to be a viable starter here. Going shotgun-heavy won't win us games, and it won't develop McCoy as a QB. That won't answer the question as to whether or not he has enough game to be the man, and like it or not, that is THE question we have to answer this season above all others.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Shumur wasn't handed these players. He didn't bring them in. Shurmur has been handed this roster. I don't see a coach in the league that could be making this bunch a winner. He can only do so much with the limited athletic ability on the line, the limited experience at the WR position, and the limited tools that McCoy has shown so far.

i can't help but think that mangini could do better with this same team; especially considering the wins he had against new england and new orleans, and almost against the jets with pretty much the same team.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
As of this point Colt is not at the level of being a starting QB in this league. He still could but that being said there is no way he develops with the Swiss Cheese he has blocking for him, and that falls solely on the coaching and front office. When you "rely" on Pashos being healthy and effective and then essentially sign zero depth, this is what you get.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
S
Legend
Legend
S
The thing is, it's been 16 games, if Colt is going to be good, we should start seeing some improvement and growth soon, right?

Anyone want to wager on seeing that? I'm in the guy's corner but I just don't see him getting any better over the next 2 months.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Colt McCoy after 16 games

Link Copied to Clipboard