All Pro
D
Can Mack long snap?

Thomas - The Tank Engine
Divot #638531 11/29/11 08:21 PM
Legend
Legend
I think this sucks.

The timing just seems ridiculous to me, five games left in a lost season and you kick a two time pro bowler to the curb instead of trying to let him work out of his funk?

It truly is a factory of sadness...

#GMSTRONG
Dave #638532 11/29/11 08:37 PM
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
What I consider a factory of sadness is the mere fact that us Browns fans actually give a rats butt about a long snapper. Really??? Sad when you think one of our best guys in recent memory is a long snapper. Yep, factory of sadness alright!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Long snappers don't grow on trees,ask the Giants or better still the Steelers.
Idiotic move by a FO trying to CYA over a bad ST coach hire.
He's not in a slump,this ain't baseball for crying out loud,he hasn't recovered from his back injury.But hey,let's just cut the best in the business.
So someone please tell me why all the other bums haven't been cut.
Oh well,good luck to you man.
I hope you go somewhere where you will have the opportunity to win.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c..

As far as the ones that say youth.. that's fine... but who would that be ? Do we have youth to replace him ?

I wonder if Ponti had asked for this move...

Because if this FO is going to waive a player for bad snaps this season... with 5 games left..

Then why does this team still have receivers that lead the league for most dropped passes...or linemen that miss 2 or more blocks.. or D players that miss tackles or DB's that let receivers catch TD passes on them...etc..etc..

Legend
Legend
I like the guy, but are people really getting this upset about our long snapper?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Dave #638536 11/29/11 10:33 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Check ya later, Ryan.

One job to do - can't do it perfectly every time - good bye.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe it's that people know we need change on this team... At this point can't it wait till the end of the season....

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

Long Snapper certainly isn't the end-all be-all of a football team by any stretch...but he was literally the best on the planet for almost the last decade.

One bad year and the regime over-reacts and flat out cuts the man?

Hey Shurmur, your entire season has SUCKED ASS. For that matter, hey HOLMGREN....your entire tenure here has been an unmitigated DISASTER. Can we cut both of them too?

Please???

What a farce this front office is. Holmgren is an f'n joke.

Wow! It's the damn long snapper. He has one job. And it is to long snap! If you have one job to do, you better do it damn well. And he has not in the last few weeks. Are you related to Ponti or something?

It will not surprise me in the least if the guy they signed is flawless in the next 5 games.

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I blame Mike Polk Jr.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
This org. is like trying to raise a dumb kid,you can't get mad at 'em.You can only hope thay someday maybe they'll get a little smarter.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
We signed Christian Yount to take his place. Having trouble getting a link copied from my phone.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Wow! It's the damn long snapper. He has one job. And it is to long snap! If you have one job to do, you better do it damn well. And he has not in the last few weeks. Are you related to Ponti or something?

It will not surprise me in the least if the guy they signed is flawless in the next 5 games.

Everybody will get over it pretty quick but you also have to understand.. Ponty has been one of about 3 or 4 guys this team has had over the last 8-10 years that played his position well year after year... he became almost a cult hero that was used to mock the organization for their other very poor draft picks....

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I like the guy, but are people really getting this upset about our long snapper?

They are almost as upset as they were when we drafted him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Wow! It's the damn long snapper. He has one job. And it is to long snap! If you have one job to do, you better do it damn well. And he has not in the last few weeks.

Not really one job....Snap the ball then make a block...

WR's have one job ? They have to catch what is thrown to them...or block

RB's take the snap or block...

TE's catch the ball or block..

QB's throw the ball.. or run..

Lets see...linemen block....but the center has to get the ball in the QB's hands..then block..

the punter punts...the the FG kicker / kicker kicks...but then there's the holder who just holds the ball...o wait he has to grab it from the long snapper...

I don't know...seems like there's more to it...then just being one job to do...just rambling...

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/clev...briand-1.247922

The Browns signed long snapper Christian Yount today to replace Ryan Pontbriand, whose uncharacteristic slump cost him his job. Pontbriand’s nine-year career with the Browns ended today when he was waived.

Pontbriand, 32, established a reputation as one of the best long snappers in the NFL after former Browns coach Butch Davis selected him in the fifth round (142nd overall) of the 2003 draft. Pontbriand made the Pro Bowl in 2007 and 2008.

But Pontbriand struggled this season.

Pontbriand’s rolling snap this past Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals robbed Dawson of a legitimate chance to make a 55-yard field goal late in the fourth quarter, and the Browns fell 23-20. Two weeks earlier, Pontbriand had a low snap that deflected off the right foot of lineman Alex Mack and disrupted the timing on Dawson’s unsuccessful 22-yard field goal attempt in the Browns’ 13-12 loss to the St. Louis Rams.

Yount has appeared in seven games this season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after they signed him as an undrafted free agent in July. He was waived on Oct. 25 after the Buccaneers activated their primary long snapper Andrew Economos from the physically unable to perform list.

Yount appeared in 51 games at UCLA from 2007-10.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
With that mentality they should all be cut LOL! Every last guy on his team has screwed the pooch at least once per game. Poor Pontiac screwed up twice and got cut. They are all to blame for these losses....Ahh screw it, who cares anymore! This team Sux!

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Quote:

What I consider a factory of sadness is the mere fact that us Browns fans actually give a rats butt about a long snapper. Really??? Sad when you think one of our best guys in recent memory is a long snapper. Yep, factory of sadness alright!

This! Glad someone else said what I have been thinking all afternoon. I can't believe I am reading so much angst over our Long Snapper. I don't care how long he has been with the Browns. His snaps have been erratic all year. He admitted in an interview that he is "in a slump". You can't be in a slump with that is ALL THAT YOU DO.

Come On Man!

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
We don't k.ow what went on behind closed doors. It could have been any number of things that led up to the cut, or he could have asked for it. Put down the pitchforks before we Lynch the front office

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

He's not in a slump,this ain't baseball for crying out loud,he hasn't recovered from his back injury.But hey,let's just cut the best in the business.

He said he was in a "slump." Probably said it one time too many.

But assume his back isn't healed and that is causing his problems. If so he's having problems in practice as well.

We cut Matt Bahr for the same reason. His back was injured and he was missing field goals in the preseason of 1990. I watched him miss a short field goal vs the Redskins in preseason. He walked off holding his lower back. The A-hole fans in the dawg pound booed him. Good example of why I hate fans.

However, you just don't keep two kickers on the roster only to wait for one of them to heal.

You don't keep two long snappers on the roster either.

Matt Behr went on to win superbowl XXV that same year he was cut. "He is best remembered for his performance in the 1990 NFC Championship Game on January 20, 1991, as he set an NFC Championship Game record with five field goals (including a 42-yarder as time expired) to lift the Giants past the 49ers 15-13. He also kicked what would prove to be the decisive field goal in Super Bowl XXV on January 27, 1991, as the Giants beat the Buffalo Bills 20-19."

Good luck Ponti. It was a great run here.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Haha. I've been reading this entire thread with my mouth half open and eyes looking around the room, expecting to see the sky plummetting onto the couch. When you're a specialty player with essentially only two job tasks, and make two huge mistakes throughout little more than half the season, you're a waste of a roster spot. I'm glad we have it now. Not that anything will come of it, but it's good to maybe bring more guys up from the PS and see if there's something cultivatable.

Last edited by 4yikes2yoshi0; 11/30/11 02:04 AM.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

They are almost as upset as they were when we drafted him.

That is priceless!

For all those upset over this, just what should have been done? Bench him and lose a roster spot? He was given plenty of opportunity to work through his slump, and it cost us a game winning fg attempt. His snaps have been off all year. Apparently he did not qualify for IR, or wanted to remain available to play for another team.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Greg Little has ONE job. Catch the damn football. He dropped 4 passes last week. Please lets cut him.
Pat Shurmur has ONE job. To coach a team to win football games. He's 4-7 this year. Please lets cut him.
Mike Holmgren has ONE job. Put together a team to win football games. We're 9-18 under his watch. Please lets cut him.

This is a fun game.

Hey if Ponti continued to struggle the rest of this year AND ALL of next year? Then I agree a move would have been needed, but we just cut a 2 time pro bowler who was not just a "pro bowler" but literally the best long snapper in the entire NFL....because of 10 bad games this year. Really?

My only point is, if that's the M.O. of this front office...no matter how good you have been or for how long, but if you have a few bad games and you're gone...then every last damn one of them in the front office and coaching staff better get "waived" before the season ends too because this whole team freaking sucks.

Factory of Sadness doesn't even do it enough justice. Factory of Ineptitude more like it.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Greg Little has ONE job. Catch the damn football. He dropped 4 passes last week. Please lets cut him.
Pat Shurmur has ONE job. To coach a team to win football games. He's 4-7 this year. Please lets cut him.
Mike Holmgren has ONE job. Put together a team to win football games. We're 9-18 under his watch. Please lets cut him.

This is a fun game.

Hey if Ponti continued to struggle the rest of this year AND ALL of next year? Then I agree a move would have been needed, but we just cut a 2 time pro bowler who was not just a "pro bowler" but literally the best long snapper in the entire NFL....because of 10 bad games this year. Really?

My only point is, if that's the M.O. of this front office...no matter how good you have been or for how long, but if you have a few bad games and you're gone...then every last damn one of them in the front office and coaching staff better get "waived" before the season ends too because this whole team freaking sucks.

Factory of Sadness doesn't even do it enough justice. Factory of Ineptitude more like it.

Yawn.....the youth movement continues in Berea!

and not picking but Little actually has more than just one job, he has to Block on some plays, run routes, go in motion, and run with the ball after he catches it. just sayin

Pontbriand is a long snapper....this isnt the end of the world. and on most good teams the fans wouldnt even know who the long snapper is. Point is he has been having a bad year, H&H decided to get some youth in here. Im not going to get too upset over this move. He was good while he was here, but was VERY expendable.

#brownsgoodkarma
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
That's a bit of a gross oversimplification of their jobs as a whole, don't you think? While those might be the biggest bullet points for their positions, they have a hell of a lot more material to go over (fairly obvious in terms data overseen to make decisions off of for FA/Draft/Schemes/Game plans/playbooks/ job tasks away from and near/with the ball). They have so many more job tasks to do that it isn't even comparable. When you're on the field doing your ONE task for less than a a fifth of the snaps in a game- and your failures cost the team big in two games and are erratic still elsewhere- you're done.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Dave #638555 11/30/11 03:43 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Horrible move.

Yea, Ponti has been in a bit of a funk lately. But that is no reason to cut him from the team.

But speaking of a bad funk. Little dropped how many passes? Why is he still on the team since they want to scapegoat Ponti.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It might have something to do with him being a rookie 2nd round pick with tons of potential.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dave #638558 11/30/11 08:07 AM
Legend
Legend
This is apparently what was meant by "continuing to work on it" in the article I read. That vote of confidence is always a red flag. Ponti, you have been my hero. Hope you shake this and have renewed success.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
j/c..

looks like he just lost his mojo.. I mean he looks horrible on the sidelines after he makes mistakes..

gonna miss him though..

not sure what has happened to our special teams play over all.. they use to be the only guys we KNEW we could get production out of.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

He said he was in a "slump." Probably said it one time too many.

But assume his back isn't healed and that is causing his problems. If so he's having problems in practice as well.

We cut Matt Bahr for the same reason. His back was injured and he was missing field goals in the preseason of 1990. I watched him miss a short field goal vs the Redskins in preseason. He walked off holding his lower back. The A-hole fans in the dawg pound booed him. Good example of why I hate fans.

However, you just don't keep two kickers on the roster only to wait for one of them to heal.

You don't keep two long snappers on the roster either.

Matt Behr went on to win superbowl XXV that same year he was cut. "He is best remembered for his performance in the 1990 NFC Championship Game on January 20, 1991, as he set an NFC Championship Game record with five field goals (including a 42-yarder as time expired) to lift the Giants past the 49ers 15-13. He also kicked what would prove to be the decisive field goal in Super Bowl XXV on January 27, 1991, as the Giants beat the Buffalo Bills 20-19."

Good luck Ponti. It was a great run here.

Yes good Luck ... we are talking about a player who gave us 8 quality years @ LS (and losing his job), but I would have to agree here.

LS, punters and kickers are always going to be on a short leash in this business as I think that they should be.

32 and with back problems = an end to an era.

Best of luck Dawg.

[Linked Image]

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I am riding the fence with rgard to Shurmur but the one thing that really bugged me about this was the comments he made regarding players not slumping. His coaching has been suspect all year. I am not on the fire Shurmur bandwagon but I think the comments where ignorant given his performance so far this year.

Legend
Legend
Au revoir, Monsieur Pontbriand.

Legend
Legend
Given how much out ST's play has looked different this year, I partly wonder how much is his back not being healed and how much might be him perhaps being coached to change something in his snaps?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Given how much out ST's play has looked different this year

I think we miss Brad Seely very much.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Don't forget there are people on this board that once thought guys like Darren Chivarini, Travis Prentice, and JuJuan Dawson were wronged when they were cut!

...and the beat goes on!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Given how much out ST's play has looked different this year, I partly wonder how much is his back not being healed and how much might be him perhaps being coached to change something in his snaps?

I'd be pretty surprised if he was getting coached to do something different with the snaps. The guy was ridiculous on his snaps in previous years, so why change it? If the coaches are telling him to change something, that's just silliness on their part.

For me, I think this was in his head. He had a couple bad snaps earlier this year (bad for him, at least), that were high, low, side to side, and he probably was surprised by that. So he starts thinking about it, and thinking about it, and thinking about it. Then he has the one go off Mack's leg, and, wham-o, he's REALLY thinking about it (even if it wasn't his fault).

I hope the guy gets his head on straight and lands somewhere else. I wish him all the best. But I'm not going to get too worked up over a long-snapper.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I wonder what they'll do when new guy launches a snap over Brad Maynard's head. Chalk it up to the "youth movement" and let him take his lumps? Or knee jerk again and kick him to the curb for another part off the scrap heap?

Somebody on this team is an emergency long snapper. We'd be better off letting him do it the rest of the year and using the roster spot on a position of actual need.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The thing is Pontibriand has been a Brown for what, 8 or 9 years, fans are looking for ANYTHING that they can look too as an identity to this team.

Like it or not there is really nothing the fans can identify with as stable on the Cleveland Browns, (Not even Randy Lerner, as he about decided to just hire Mike Holmgren and go completly hands off of the football team.)

See Browns fans are not Browns fans for 2 and 1 half years!!

NObody knows how long any of these other positions are going to be around, but we've seen it all before, From Couch, Holcombe, Garcia, and Dilfer, to the Fryes, Quinns and Andersons.

It's not just quarterback. How many different players have started for the Browns at left defensive end. They can't even keep the 4-3, or the 3-4, or the 4-3 again for more than 3 and a half years.

These fans would care for ANYTHING if it was a representative of this team for 9 years, whether it's the special teams coach, the Oblong coordinator or even the long snapper, ( that's right the Long snapper) .

We've seen it all change before, multiple times, and the problem is watching another " regime" in the middle of the early stages , parting ways with one of (the guys) when no " regime" has lasted even 5 whole years since when?

Was Crennel here 5 years? or Davis? if so not 6 ill bet.

So we'll see in 2 more years, how many gurus and leaders are still on the Browns, but one thing is for sure the core of this team
the solo plexes, the core of the roster, the continuity took a hit with this decision.

And Who if anyone will care if this team goes self destruct over the next 700 days and someone comes in to convince Browns fans that they are to be patient for another rebuild again.

This time without pontibriand. and without others, and others, and others who have already been released, cut or traded. And whoever else will be cut released, traded, or given up on, between now and then.

The core of the roster took a hit with this move.

Hey, Continuity Schmontinuity! Fans Schmans! 9 years, Schmine years!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

the core of the roster, the continuity took a hit with this decision.

Quote:

The core of the roster took a hit with this move

The core of the roster was the long snapper? Give me a freaking break! I liked him as much as the next guy, but if he's the core of the roster, then there are bigger issues afloat.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Pontbriand Waived

Link Copied to Clipboard