Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
R
Continue discussion here.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

How far do you think Landry Jones falls?

IF he enters the draft (huge if), I think he is a second-round pick. But this time last year, I would have never believed Christian Ponder would be the No. 12 pick. It's always hard to tell with quarterbacks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If he's there in the 2nd and we can't get Luck, I'd love to somehow be able to go ...

1a - Claiborne
1b - Kendall Wright
2 - Landry Jones

Legend
Legend
Quote:

IF he enters the draft (huge if), I think he is a second-round pick. But this time last year, I would have never believed Christian Ponder would be the No. 12 pick. It's always hard to tell with quarterbacks.

i saw ur draftboard on the other thread.. i saw no Blackmon on there.. u don't like him? just curious.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

i saw ur draftboard on the other thread.. i saw no Blackmon on there.. u don't like him? just curious.

Guess you didn't read the rest of the post.

Quote:

Justin Blackmon will be there when the Browns pick. St. Louis is probably going to pick second, and Matt Kalil will be the BPA. It just so happens that the Rams desperately need help along the offensive line.

The Vikings have needs at cornerback and wideout, but Claiborne is much better than Blackmon.

But when/if Blackmon falls to the Browns, I will not want him. All elite wide receivers have a few traits in common. They are either:

1. Big. At least 6'3" with hands and athletic ability.
2. Incredibly quick. Steve Smith is only 5'9", but he is shifty and fast as hell.

Justin Blackmon is neither of those. He's 6'1" 215, so he has some bulk, but he doesn't have the height/speed combination to be much of a deep threat. He has occasionally great hands (has some issues with drops on the perimeter) and is an excellent route runner. He has good YAC ability and can make a few guys miss. In essence, he is Anquan Boldin.

The Browns already have an underneath, WCO weapon in Greg Little. Little isn't really a deep threat, but he's starting to catch the ball like he did in college, and he is incredible with the ball in his hands. Right now, the Browns need speed and vertical ability. Blackmon provides neither of those, and he lacks the physical ability to develop into an elite player.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If he's there in the 2nd and we can't get Luck, I'd love to somehow be able to go ...

1a - Claiborne
1b - Kendall Wright
2 - Landry Jones

I'll ignore the RG3 thing here. As you could see from my board, I would be down with Claiborne. I also love Kendall Wright. I think he's a Jeremy Maclin type guy in the NFL.

Landry, on the other hand, I don't like so much. Though he has upside, he is incredibly inaccurate and makes terrible decisions. It depends on who is available, of course, but I don't think I would want him at the top of the second.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

The only QB I'd want in 1st round is Luck. Assuming that won't happen, and assuming we retain Hillis, with 1a, I'd go either DE (Coples) or CB (Claiborne). If we lose Hillis, I take Richardson. With 1b, I'd be looking for my WR - Alshon Jeffreys, Michael Floyd, or Kendall Wright. With our 2nd rd, best OT or LB. With our 3rd, best LB or OT. After that, I'd hand off to Heckert, because I have no clue.

Hillis is the key, imo. If he stays, we go DE or CB with 1a, and fill the other from FA. If Hillis goes, we take Richardson @ 1a, and look to free agency for DE and CB.

I agree with you Dave. Luck is the only QB worthy of being mentioned at the top of the draft. All the other ones are the Elmo's of the draft. I wouldn't trade anything to get Luck but if he fell I would definately snatch him up and let him learn and sit under McCoy and Wallace next year. Year three would be an open competition between the two. That won't happen so here are some players that I personally would like to see on our team from the draft in no order.

Vontaze Burfict-Had a down year because they put a leash on him. The guy is a relentless and mean football player. His non-stop motor and presence in the middle would allow us to move DQ outside. We would have our James Harrison/Ray Lewis Hybrid, an enforcer, an identity that we have been lacking. Teams would have to know where he is on the field for sure. He would make everyone around him better.
I believe he can be had in the later first round but won't last past Baltimore. I see his stock rising through the combine and toward the draft into the teens.

Kendall Wright- Not the tallest Receiver but he is a Dynamic playmaker that has the speed, hands and quickness we need to get separation and make big plays after the catch. There is no AJ Green or Jones in this draft but we are desperate for playmakers no matter the size.

Vinny Curry-I really like this guy. Another guy with a relentless motor. I think with him as a bookend with Sheard and both are able to get upfield quick enough to force the run inside. Having two guys that are very capable of getting to the QB in a hurry will allow a blitzing LB an easier path a sack and also allows us not have to send a Blitzing LB or Safety to get pressure.

Kirk Cousins- Yep Here is my QB Pick..

Mike Adams/Levy Adcock- Do I need to explain? I think a RT and the experience should help our two young guards but Steinny will be back and not sure he can be counted on as a starter but definately nice depth but pricey. Hicks, Cousins and Pashos need to be shown the door.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
Man, I don't know what happened, but for the last year or so DT and I have agreed on just about everything draft-related.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I'm torn on most of this but trust heckert as he's been solid with early picks. Haden, Ward, Smith and Sheard may or may not be Pro Bowl material but all of them are football players who are quality quality players.

That being said, I think the Browns will look at Coples, Claiborne, Blackmon and RGIII. I don't see a trade up unless it's for Luck. I like going for RT with pick 1b or round 2 and WR, CB, LB with the other. If possible I'd trade down between 2-5 spots and bring in Richardson into the picture or get Blackmon at a better value.

1a - Coples (de)
1b - Wright (WR)
2 - Adcock or Mike Adams or CB
3 - LB, WR, CB

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watched NC Bowl Game...

STAY FAR AWAY from Coples...

This dude is slow...Undisciplined...

Zach Brown didn't impress me yet again either...

Go Browns!!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, Coples and Brown had bad games...I'm close to do a complete 180 on Coples..very disappointing...he's a boom or bust prospect and we can't afford taking a risk on him in the top 10....I really like Ingram the DE from South Carolina and would take him as early as late 1st with the ATL pick....what I read about him is VERY similar to Sheard's reports 1 year ago..good mix of production and upside left to be a complete DE

Brown is fast but even on his good plays I haven't seen sound tackling....on the TFL against the the RB on the outside he threw his shoulder instead of wrapping up...it was enough to get the RB down, but in the NFL this will result into many whiffs, as backs dont go down this easy every time

D.Jones had a great start to the game and then disappeared....after the TD he wasn't the same.....interviews and background check are key with him I think....what motivates the kid?

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was really impressed with the LT for Missouri. might be worth a later round investment. Kid owned Coples and has a bit of a mean streak.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

And in other news...

Atlanta losing last night sets them up to have a meaningless game with TB Sunday...

Ramifications???

They are locked into the 6 seed which means they will go to New Orleans or Frisco based on which gets the 3 spot...

They are a ONE & DONE playoff team...

Our Atlanta pick will be between 21-24...

this isnt accurate. atlanta still could get the 5 seed if green bay beats detroit, and atlanta beats tampa. THe falcons beat the lions earler in the year, and hold the tiebreaker.

J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this forum for the past few months and it seems like every day I flip flop back and forth on what I want H&H to do over the next few months. Someone said it earlier that they cannot wait for it to be February (Free Agency/Combine) and April (Draft) and oh boy do I feel the same way. I think I would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more productive at work if the draft had already taken place (but then we would be talking about how the Browns are playoff bound with a 10-6 record in 2012 ).

Bottom line is, we need to hit on our first 3 picks no matter who they are whether it be all offensive players, all defensive, or a combination of both. This obviously depends a great deal on what happens during free agency. First off, I firmly believe we should NOT draft a QB with our first pick at all. Here is why…

1 - We trade the farm to take Luck and he comes in here with no weapons, just like every other Cleveland Browns QB has done since 1999…he will not be successful with what we have now on this team and missing out the opportunity to add valuable pieces around him because we gave up so much to get him. I have seen that same movie over and over and over again with this team, it’s time to change the channel and watch something else (I don’t even know if that metaphor makes any sense as I’m on vacation and have had a couple of “beverages”…it makes sense in my head right now so I’m going to roll with it ).

2 - I’m not sold on RG3 at all. You have all made good arguments on both sides, but if we, as die-hard fans, cannot come to an agreement on a QB that has a 50% chance of being successful (looking at past drafts of QB’s taken in the first round), I just do not like those odds when we could take someone else, who would have a much higher chance on being successful in this league. Look at the last 2 drafts…I think we could all agree 2 years ago, if Eric Berry falls to us, we take him in a second. Last year, if either Green or Peterson fall to us, we are running to the podium with our pick in record time. The consensus of the majority of us was YES on all 3 of those players. RG3, with the 3rd or 4th pick of this upcoming draft, it seems as if we are 50/50…too high of a chance for a bust in my opinion.

Below is what I think could be a good start to hopefully another solid draft by H&H assuming we do not trade down. Let me know what you think (and obviously this could change depending on what happens in free agency, the combine, who decides to return back to school and where Atlanta picks).

1A Pick – I would almost rate it as a tie between Blackmon and Claiborne with a slight edge going to Claiborne. Third on my list would be Coples. First off, I just don’t see Blackmon being in the same category as Green/Jones and the reason why I say that is last year, most mocks had Blackmon picked to go in the late first or early second before he decided to return back to school. I’m not sure if Blackmon has that sub 4.5 speed that I want to see out of our number one, someone who can stretch the field and get behind the defense. Now, this could change at the combine if he goes like 4.42 or something like that, but I just do not see that happening (please prove me wrong and fall to us). Claiborne on the other hands seems like the safer pick and would give us a lock down secondary for the next 10 years especially with this turning into a pass first league (think Minnifield/Dixon). Yes, we would still need some help at safety, but we can address that later on in the draft (I think I saw one mock having us taking a Safety from LSU, can’t remember his name off the top of my head, but damn, I would just about take anyone from LSU if they can play in the NFL like they do in college). As far as Coples goes, I’m just not 100% sold on him as I have watched him a few times this year and have not been impressed. Obviously, McShay and Kiper see something in him and that’s why they get paid the big bucks, I just don’t see it…what is he good at and did he do it in the games that I was not watching this year???

1B Pick – Many options here depending on where we go with the first pick…I would have to rate them in this order though: WR Michael Floyd – Notre Dame, WR Kendall Wright – Baylor, DE Whitney Mercilus – Illinois or a tie between LB’s Zach Brown – UNC and Ronnell Lewis – Oklahoma. Now, if we take Blackmon, you can rule out the first two. If we take Claiborne, you definitely have to look at the two WR’s. I think Floyd will be off the board by the time this pick comes around. Wright may be also off the board if he goes something like sub 4.45 at the combine, which I think he will. Both have the ability to be #1 WR’s in this league. I think we have a much higher chance landing Wright who to me seems like a Mike Wallace, and if that holds true, I would LOVE to take Wright. If they are both off the board, I would have to go best player available that fits a need (Living in South Carolina, I’m not 100% sold on Jefferies…to me, he seems like a poor man’s Sidney Rice). That being said, Mercilus is a beast…I thought I read this year that he leads the nation with 13.5 sacks and 8 forced fumbles this year??! Not sure if he leads the nation, but that would give us a solid defensive line for years to come as well by putting him opposite of Sheard…NASTY! Not 100% sold on taking a LB with our second first round pick, but if they are best available on H&H’s board, it definitely fills a need. The only other option I could see here is taking an Offensive Lineman. I am not sure how to rank/list these guys so that is why I didn’t put any prospects down.

2nd Round Pick – Once again, depending on how we go with our first two picks, I could see us targeting DE Melvin Ingram – South Carolina or a CB like Chase Minnifield – Virginia…Offensive Line could be looked at here again, but like I said, I do not know enough about any of the prospects to put any names down. Ingram is just nasty on that line of South Carolina. He is a freak athlete (took a fake punt to the house this year I believe like 70 yards) who can get to the QB in a hurry and I believe has 3 INT’s this year as well. Once again, would be a great addition to our front four. The reason I put Minnifield here (and I’ll admit, might be a homer pick as I don’t watch as much ACC football as I do Big-10 and SEC) is the fact that I have heard nothing but good things. If he can play anything like his dad, would be a great steal in the second round.

3rd Round Pick – This is where I see us taking an Offensive Lineman because this is an area where I think we can improve in Free Agency as well as having Steinbach coming back and Pinkston with a year under his belt.

Rounds 4 and on – Here is where we need to improve on depth and team speed. I would take the fastest players available (a la Al Davis and the Raaaaaaaaaaiders (Chris Berman voice)). I would take a chance on Broyles in this round if he is available as an underneath slot type of receiver. I would also like to see us take a fast weak side linebacker who can help cover in passing situations. A developmental QB could be chosen in these later rounds as well as that LSU safety (still can’t remember his name, but then again, the “beverages” are starting to flow into my belly).

Give me any combination of those players listed and I think we could definitely be headed in the right direction with this franchise. Do I think we could make the playoffs next year, prolly not, but then again I think we would have almost all the right pieces in place to grow as a team, a VERY young team. If Colt is not our answer, then we could draft a QB in 2013 (Barkley) or go after one in Free Agency, etc…many different options to choose from. Thoughts???

PS…Am I the only one who hopes the Packers rest their starters and the Lions beat them (assuming the 49’ers win). If that is the case, Atlanta win or lose, would travel to New Orleans to play them versus playing either at Dallas or New York, which is a much more winnable game. A first round loss by Atlanta will mean a pick in the 21-24 range versus a first round win could bump that pick up to the 25-28 range (or higher if they get their revenge from last year versus Green Bay).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In my humble opinion, Coples is a pure 3-4 DE and would not be on my board if I ran a 4-3. Zach Brown I would not draft period. He has skills but he is lazy and his play is contagious in the wrong way.

1. Morris Claiborne CB LSU
1b. Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M
2. Whitney Mercilus DE Illinois
3. Robert Lester FS Bama
4. James Carmon OT Miss. St.
4b. JOrdan White WR WEstern Michigan
5. Danny Trevathon OLB UK
6. Chris Rainey RB Florida
6b. Nicolas Jean-Baptiste DT Baylor

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Mour i'm starting to lean towards your 1st 3 picks.. Your starting to get me on the Tannehill bandwagon..

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Great post, JE159. This thing is driving me nuts, too. I agree on not being sold on RG3. And it would be great to get Blackmon and Mercilus. I could roll with Colt again, because I could see him getting 20 TD passes next year. Second round, I'd go RT. But the thing is, we have to nail down Hillis. We just don't need to blow another hole in the roster. Peyton healthy with a good line is money in the bank. I hope he's not sour on the town and the team.
Finally, I might be the only one, but think Buster Skrine could become a star opposite Haden.

C
Legend
Legend
C
If we don't get Luck I want to surround Colt McCoy with as many playmakers/guys who keep him upright as possible.

I would be very upset with a Tannehill selection.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
If we WERE going to grab Tannehill I think it's a guy you need to say "we want to build our franchise around him for the next 3 to 5 years ... MINIMUM" That's what it would set us back if he didn't work out.

I don't dislike Tannehill ... but personally I just don't (or maybe haven't yet) see enough of him to think he will be a real deal. Then again ... I'm still only slightly above lukewarm with RG3 and a few of the others.

I would rather pull a Pats with Saints of last year ... let someone trade up for a great player that slides and take their 2nd while also nabbing a first. If we don't mortgage it all for Luck then why not still use 1A AND have a 2A and 2B while still heading into the 2013 draft with 2 first rounders...?

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
ESPNs Howard Balzer reported that the #1 Overall pick might be worth 6 first round picks (due to Luck and the new CBA)

Haven't found it outside the rumor mill yet, and I'm suspicious - but damn....

~Lyuokdea
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There is an old saying when it comes to scouting a QB, It starts below the knees and ends between the ears. It all starts with the feet and if you have poor feet, you end up with bad throws and lousy accuracy. Tannehill has great feet. He also has it between the ears. The kid is studying to be a surgeon. He also has an NFL body and a really strong arm.

I think a lot are judging him as a finished product and forget the kid played receiver until midway through last year. Mike Sherman raves about how this kid wants to be coached. You dont get more praise from a coach than that.

The bonus is that he knows this offense better than Colt.

When it comes to reading defenses he is at basic Math level and Luck is at advanced Calculus level. That comes from studying film and experience on the field. Now to be fair, noone in college and few in the NFL are equal to Luck at reading defenses and its why he is so coveted. His presnap reads are second to none.

Tannehill needs to raise his release point slightly but he has pretty good mechanics. There are no bad habits to get rid of. He keeps the ball up to his ear and has a nice quick release and throws a tight spiral. He works better from under center than from in the gun and he can run when he needs to. Probably should run more.

Best scenario would be Mike Sherman joins as OC and we draft Tannehill. I believe both are really strong possibilities. Wonder how many phone calls there have been from Holmgren and Heckert to Mike Sherman over the last few months?

Last edited by Mourgrym; 12/27/11 10:30 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They couldnt get 6 firsts if they traded Luck, Manning and Freeney.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
If a QB could guarantee us that we could win and do it with 4th and 6th round picks at WR ... and we would be a team that had 10+ wins for 10+ years then I would do it in a heartbeat....

BUT ... I honestly don't know what people would give up for Luck. I don't see ANYONE giving up more than probably 4 straight firsts .... and I think even then it would have to be low firsts ... like a team like San Fran for example where Harbaugh Knows Luck and you assume that those firsts will be mid to late every year.

But wow ... I don't see ANYONE doing more than 3 firsts and 2 seconds ... or possibly 4 firsts but that's pushing it even for a crazy GM ....

In the end I doubt anyone pulls the trigger on more than 3 firsts period.

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
Quote:

Great post, JE159. This thing is driving me nuts, too. I agree on not being sold on RG3. And it would be great to get Blackmon and Mercilus. I could roll with Colt again, because I could see him getting 20 TD passes next year. Second round, I'd go RT. But the thing is, we have to nail down Hillis. We just don't need to blow another hole in the roster. Peyton healthy with a good line is money in the bank. I hope he's not sour on the town and the team.
Finally, I might be the only one, but think Buster Skrine could become a star opposite Haden.

Thanks Big G!

Two things that go deeper into that post…

First, that whole post is based on that we DO sign Hillis and do not have to draft a running back…If we don’t sign Hillis things could change in a major way. If we don’t re-sign Hillis, I could see us still going with that same philosophy that I stated earlier, as long as Blackmon and Claiborne are still on the board AND H&H believe that we can be successful with the backs we have now in Ogbonnaya, Jackson, Hardesty, and Smith (I really hope to see him next year, that dude is blazing fast!!!).

Second, if H&H don’t believe that group will be successful in 2012 and we don’t resign Hillis (was I the only one who wanted to see more of Ogbonnaya when HIllis was hurt/coming back??), then they will have a tough decision to make. Now, if H&H have either Blackmon or Claiborne rated as one of their top 3 or however they rate them, and they are off the board, I could definitely see them trying to target Richardson. Is Richardson worthy of a top 3 or 4 pick, I don’t think so and I wouldn’t take him that high, however, I could see us trading back a few spots with someone who wants to draft RG3 (hopefully picking up a 2nd and 3rd round pick in this years’ draft or ideally, but I don’t think it will happen, pick up a 1st and 3rd/4th in next years’ draft). This is where it would/could get tricky. We would have to trade back to a position where we would still be able to pick up Trent Richardson. If we could do that and pick up those extra picks, I would be all for that as well. Once again, we will have a better idea of the direction we will head into the draft after free agency and the combine.

Imagine this draft…trading back for another 2nd and 3rd round pick this year and we went:

1A – Richardson - RB
1B – Wright - WR
2A – Minnifield - CB
2B – Ingram - DE
3A/3B – OL/LB

That would be pretty nasty as well…

If, for some reason, Richardson is off the board when we pick (let's say we trade down to 12 - 15 range), we could pick up WR Floyd from Notre Dame and then with our 1B pick, could potentially grab a RB in Lamar Miller...Thoughts???

Quote:

In my humble opinion, Coples is a pure 3-4 DE and would not be on my board if I ran a 4-3. Zach Brown I would not draft period. He has skills but he is lazy and his play is contagious in the wrong way.

Mourgrym…I’m glad you see that as well…I think we can get a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better DE in Mercilus or Ingram than Coples and a better weak side LB that Brown as well later on in the draft.

Legend
Legend
Thought this was kind of cool

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Mourgrym…I’m glad you see that as well…I think we can get a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better DE in Mercilus or Ingram than Coples and a better weak side LB that Brown as well later on in the draft.

I didn't watch much college ball this year, but started to catch up a bit the worse the Browns got.

I really like Mercilus. I'd take him with Atlanta's pick.

C
Legend
Legend
C
That throw against ASU is ridiculous. Anyone who questions his arm strength will be directed to this video.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Draft notebook: Tar Heels' final impression will last, and hurt too

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

In the weeks leading to the draft, NFL general managers are often asked to give team owners a video snapshot of the players they are targeting with early-round selections. Some owners, of course, have more say than others in the evaluation process but many like to see for themselves the young men who could soon be their employees.

Some owners specifically ask to see players' final games -- especially rivalries or bowl games. The thought process is easy to follow: A player worthy of a first- or second-day pick should stand out in their final big game as a collegian.

General managers considering using a top-100 selection on a University of North Carolina defender may have to think twice about showing his team's owner the Independence Bowl. The effort put forth by several prominent prospects was shameful.

Defensive end Quinton Coples entered the 2011 season ranked by many pro scouts as the elite senior prospect in the country, regardless of position. The 6-6, 285-pound Coples had earned All-ACC honors at defensive tackle in 2010 registering 59 tackles, including 15.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks. He was moved outside for his senior season in the hopes that he'd be even more troublesome for opponents but instead saw his numbers drop in every category.

NFLDraftScout.com has learned that teammates and members of the UNC coaching staff approached Coples midseason about moving back inside to help the Tar Heels get more explosive pass rushers on the edge. Coples declined. His reason, according to a source, was that moving back inside could call into question his versatility and thereby compromise his draft stock.

Though Coples registered two tackles for loss against Missouri, his undisciplined rushes up-field opened up gaping holes that the Tigers exploited for 337 rushing yards -- nearly 10 times that of which UNC (36 yards) was able to accomplish on the ground Monday.

Perhaps most alarming, it wasn't just the seniors who played poorly for North Carolina. Junior inside linebacker Kevin Reddick, a junior thought to be considering making the jump to the NFL early, was virtually invisible. Playing against a Missouri offense that ran simple zone-reads up the middle the majority of the game, Reddick registered just four total tackles, only two of which were solos.

The Tar Heels' most consistent defender this season, senior outside linebacker Zach Brown, also deserves some of the blame. While his stat line looks impressive (14 tackles, two tackles for loss, an interception), only two of his tackles against the run came within four yards of the line of scrimmage. Considering the Tigers had 46 rushing attempts and that the primary knocks on Brown are an inability to get off blocks and play physically, Monday's effort won't help his cause, either.

When incoming head coach Larry Fedora was asked during his introductory press conference December 12 to describe the style of play he expected at North Carolina he said, "As a football team, we will always be attacking. Carolina-style football will be known as playing hard, playing fast, and playing physical."

It shouldn't just be NFL general managers who toss this game-tape into the trash can rather than re-watch it. The new Tar Heel head coach should, as well.

NFL needs juniors to save weak OT class

University of Southern Cal offensive tackle Matt Kalil opted to forgo his senior season and take the leap to the NFL.

Pro teams needing help at offensive tackle can only hope other juniors will follow his lead as some scouts think this is the worst crop of senior exterior offensive linemen the league has seen in the past 20 years.

"It's an ugly group, there is no doubt about it," one high-ranking scout said on the condition of anonymity.

"I've been doing this for a long time and I don't recall a draft where there wasn't a single [senior] offensive tackle I'd grade as a first round talent. They just aren't out there this year."

Another scout compared the 2012 class to 2006, when only one offensive tackle -- D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- made the first round. Ferguson, however, was a senior and was an elite talent. He was selected fourth overall by the New York Jets and has been to two Pro Bowls since.

Iowa's Riley Reiff (6-6, 300) and Stanford's Jonathan Martin (6-6, 305), each finishing up their junior seasons, are known to be considering making the jump. Wisconsin's Ricky Wagner (6-6, 320) is another underclassman with the size, talent and experience to potentially earn a top 32 selection.

NFLDraftScout.com currently ranks Ohio State's Mike Adams and Florida State's Zebrie Sanders as the top senior prospects. Both have been given second-round grades.

Fortunately, while the senior offensive tackle class is lacking, the interior group is considered one of the real strengths of the 2012 class.

Stanford junior David DeCastro, whom NFLDraftScout.com has learned is planning on leaving school early for the pros, headlines the group. There are also several collegiate offensive tackles who project best inside at guard, including Georgia's Cordy Glenn, Iowa State's Kelechi Osemele, Washington's Senio Kelemete, Midwestern State's Amini Silatolu and Miami junior Brandon Washington. True guards Lucas Nix (Pittsburgh) Kevin Zeitler (Wisconsin) are others who are already generating top 75 buzz amongst pro scouts.

Coby Fleener most underrated skill position player?

Among my favorite football cliches is that the NFL is a "copycat" league. What works for one team is sure to be copied and attempted by several more.

With the New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints and Green Bay Packers -- three of the league's elite passing attacks -- increasingly shifting their focus towards playmaking tight ends Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham and Jermichael Finley, you can expect other clubs looking for a spark in the passing game to put extra emphasis on tight ends capable of stretching the field.

Stanford senior Coby Fleener could wind up the beneficiary.

NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated senior tight end since October, the 6-6, 245 pound Fleener is quietly earning first-round buzz and may just be the country's most underrated skill position player.

Like Gronkowski, Graham and Finley, Fleener isn't a traditional in-line blocker capable of knocking defenders onto their heels in the running game. He is, however, a former wide receiver offers rare straight-line speed, agility and body control in a huge (and still growing) frame.

Fleener "only" caught 32 passes for The Cardinal but led the team in both touchdown catches (10) and yards per reception (20.2). Despite only starting four games this season at Stanford, Fleener was recognized by Pac-12 coaches as an all-conference pick and earned third team All-American honors by the Associated Press.

Extra Points: Matt Barkley's decision to play at USC -- and not in the NFL -- next season caught many off guard, but those close to the Trojans while certainly pleased, weren't that surprised that the quarterback elected to come back for his senior season. One scout traveling through USC recently noted that Barkley "almost seemed to be looking for an excuse to return." Considering that he'll enter next season as an obvious Heisman candidate on a team with legitimate BCS title hopes and as impressive a returning cast of receivers and backs as there is in the country, he had plenty of "excuses" staring him in the face... One Heisman candidate who may be making the jump to the NFL early, however, is Wisconsin running back Montee Ball. Ball has already insinuated that if he received a first- or second-round grade from the NFL Advisory Committee that he might leave the Badgers. A quick poll of scouts had each assigning a second grade to the 5-9, 212 pound back. ... Fans of the Boise State football annually contend that their beloved Broncos are being underrated by the national press. ... Scouts for the Senior Bowl agrees, as four Broncos have been invited to the preeminent senior all-star game this year. Those invited include quarterback Kellen Moore, running back Doug Martin, defensive lineman Billy Winn and safety George Iloka.

This total ties with the second highest number of players representing any school last year (Miami, Mississippi State). Nebraska led the nation with six players participating in the all-star game festivities.
web page

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

That throw against ASU is ridiculous. Anyone who questions his arm strength will be directed to this video.

Not that I ever needed any convincing...But Luck is gonna be a STUD...

Make it happen Indy...WIN Sunday...

Make it happen Holmgren...TELL Heckert to get the #1 pick in this draft for as LITTLE as possible...START with our 2 #1's this year AND our #1 in 2013...Give em' our Atlanta 4th rounder also...And a 2nd rounder if u have to...

JUST GET THE DAMN GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANYONE who thinks that's too much to give up for any QB the caliber of Luck...Just does not understand the importance of a QB in the NFL...It's that damn simple people...We're gonna find out exactly how AGGRESSIVE H&H r in the next 4 months...

Now...The Rams would be beyond ignorant if they passed up that kinda deal when they have a 2nd year QB on that roster...Bradford can run ANY type of offense so any HC change in St. Louis should have ZERO impact on this...U have your QB...And u can do some serious draft damage the next 2 years...This is a NO-BRAINER for the Rams...

GO INDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mour...Screw Tannehill...I'm sick and tired of these PROJECT QB's...

And if we sit and take RGIII...We best be damned sure this kid can take a snap from under center...Tomorrow night EVERYONE needs to watch the Baylor game...There's TWO players that might just be a Brown come April...Griffin and Wright...

And the FSU/ND game too...Jenkins DE and Floyd WR...

Go Browns!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll be rooting for the Jags and Vikings to win so we can get that #3 overall pick. Great QBs are rarely coming into the league as a great QB. Rogers, Brees, Brady are the 3 best QBs in the league and guess what all were considered a bit of a project.

Chances are if you want a stud QB you are going to have to find someone that fits what you want to do, has a workable skill set and guide him to become a great QB while you build a pretty good cast to support him.

Now as for screwing Tannehill, I am pretty sure he is engaged to a model and you probably aren't his type but hey different strokes for different folks lol.

You can click your hills together and cross fingers and pray to the football gods that Luck is a brown but with as many holes as we have, it is just wishful thinking. If someone is gonna trade up for Luck it will be someone with a competitive roster already in place and someone dumb enough to sale their soul for 1 prospect. We all know how all of those trades work out.

If we trade up for LUck woo hoo we have a great QB. IF we don't, we roll up our sleeves and find someone that fits this offense and has a workable skill set. Sometimes you gotta make your own Luck lol.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sometimes you gotta make your own Luck lol.

Now THAT'S funny!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

nfldraftscout rankings have moved a lot recently and some of my favs have gone up (of course )...DE Ingram went up to 14th on their board

Based on their updated rankings this would be the players I'd target, barring trades:

1a QB Griffin, CB Claiborn, WR Blackmon

1b CB Dennard, QB Tannehill (?), DE Mercilus (?)...unless a Kirkpatrick, Martin etc drops to this picks I really don't like the value and hope we consider trading that pick Ingram-style (down to the 2nd for a future 1st or 2nd + some mid rounders)

2 DE Mercilus (?), DE Curry, DE Branch, CB Gilmore

3 OT Datko, CB Boykin, G/RT Osemele

4a QB Weeden, G Kelemete, WR TY Hilton, OT Adcock

4b OT Adcock, WR Jenkins, CB Fletcher, WR J.Wright, G Nix

5 FS T.Robinson, RT Schwartz, OLB Kaddu, LB Acho, CB Hayward, T/G Zusevicz, CB Fleming, OLB Trevathan

6a+b CB Tandy, DE Bequette, WR J.White, OT Allen, OT J.Brown, OLB S.Brown, WR Boykin, DT Harrell, CB/FS Golden, RB/WR Demps, S Guy, S Dye

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Did I see him throw a lot of passes off his back foot in the early part of that video?

I like him...but not enough to give up ATL's first to move up...let alone the ransom being thrown out as a possibility.

I understand the importance of a great QB...I just don't see greatness in him...and I need certain greatness to trade the farm to get him.

PAC-10 QBs scare the crap out of me. Other than A Rodgers - who came into a PERFECT situation - I have to go back to Aikman & Elway before I find the last PAC 10 QB who became a stud.

I'd take him if he's there...and I'd trade a pick to get him...but not any #1 pick.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I'd trade our two firsts this year, our second next year and maybe a fourth this year.

And I'd feel sick doing it, but that would be my absolute ceiling.

Anything else, and I think I'm out.

I'm not behind the idea of nabbing Luck and then not being able to put anything around him until the third round at the earliest.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I don't understand all the hoopla about Luck and why so many on here want to give up the farm to get him. If we were a team like the Jets of the last few years, where a QB would push us over the edge, then I'd get it. But we have many holes. It seems that it would take at least both of our 1sts this year, as well as a 2nd rounder - maybe even more than that - to get Luck.

If we are going the QB route (I think Colt is not the guy for us and it's become apparent to more and more people over the last half season) then I'd rather keep the pick. If we wind up picking 3rd or 4th, we could get RG3 and hold on to our picks.

Our draft could go something like:
Robert Griffin 3 - a dynamic playmaker who has an arm, is intelligent and a freak athlete.

Then we could grab our WR with our other 1st rounder:
Alshon Jeffery/Michael Floyd/Kendall Wright with my preference being Wright as he has the speed to be a deep threat and give us a vertical threat to complement Little's underneath game.

With the 2nd and 3rd rounder we could go BPA at either DE/RT/LB/CB

With four picks we could get a QB, a deep threat WR and two other guys at a position of need. This is all dependent on free agency and us hitting on our picks, of course, but I feel going that route is a better bet than going "all in" on Luck and giving him absolutely 0 weapons. It also helps that I think RG3 is the real deal.

Just my .02

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NFL Draft Risers and Fallers

Dane Brugler
By Dane Brugler
NFLDraftScout.com Analyst

With the regular season in the rearview mirror, bowl games allow prospects one final stage to perform under the bright lights before all-star games and pre-draft workouts. The end of the season also puts underclassmen on notice to make decisions about their eligibility and whether or not to turn pro. They have until January 15 to decide on their futures.

A pair of Boise State offensive playmakers are risers this week, but a few linebackers weren't as fortunate. Here's a look at this week's Risers and Fallers:
Risers and Fallers - Dane Brugler -- (Updated 12/28/2011)

Risers
1. Stock Rising
Doug Martin RB Boise State
After missing the TCU game, which turned out to be Boise State's lone loss of 2011, Martin ended his season with four-straight 100-yard rushing performances, culminating last week as the MVP of the MAACO Bowl Las Vegas. He finished the game with a bowl-record 301 all-purpose yards, including 151 yards on the ground and 26 receiving yards, but set the tone early with a 100-yard opening kickoff return for a score.

After a slow start to the season, Martin proved to be the unsung hero of the Boise State offense, finishing second in the Mountain West Conference in rushing with 1,299 yards on 263 carries (4.9 yards per carry) and 16 touchdowns. He has very good vision to find room to work with the balance and leg drive to pick up a lot of yardage after contact.

Martin has explosive change of direction ability and lateral quickness to make sharp jump cuts and get upfield quickly, drawing a lot of comparisons to New Orleans Saints' running back Mark Ingram. He currently stands as the top senior running back for the 2012 NFL Draft and will have a chance to cement that status at the Senior Bowl in January.

2. Stock Rising
Gerell Robinson WR Arizona State
Robinson emerged as the Sun Devil's top receiving threat this season as a senior and he certainly ended his career with his best foot forward last week in the MAACO Bow Las Vegas. Despite falling to Boise State, he set single game-bests with 13 catches for a bowl-record 241 yards, adding one touchdown.

At 6-4, 220 pounds, Robinson has imposing size and length with an impressive catching radius, presenting a large target for his quarterback. He is a good-sized athlete with above average body control and coordination for his frame. Robinson finished the season with 77 receptions for a Pac 12-best 1,397 yards and seven touchdowns, averaging a remarkable 18.1 yards per catch.

Despite a career-high in catches this season, he fights the ball too much and NFL scouts wish he was more consistent completing the catch. Robinson is an intriuging talent for the next level because of his size and athleticism -- his productive senior season will likely earn him a draft pick on the third day.

3. Stock Rising
Michael Smith RB Utah State
While junior RB Robert Turbin is the bell cow runner in the Utah State backfield, Smith is a player that shouldn't be overlooked. Despite a loss to Ohio in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, the senior ended his senior season last Saturday with a career performance, rushing 12 times for a career-best 157 yards and 2 TDs. Smith, who attended Eastern Arizona Junior College out of high school before transferring to Utah State in 2009, missed most of the 2010 season with a foot injury and redshirted.

He returned healthy in 2011 as a senior, but had double-digit carries in just three games as he was stuck in a crowded backfield led by Turbin, the WAC Offensive Player of the Year. However, Smith shined in the bowl game, showing off his explosive burst and balance through contact along with his aggressive and instinctive running style. As coach Gary Anderson said after the game, "to end it like that, that typifies Michael Smith."

4. Stock Rising
Brandon Washington OG Miami (Fla.)
While a tad surprising, Washington decided to forego his senior season at Miami and throw his name into the 2012 NFL Draft class. The 6-4, 320-pound lineman was highly recruited out of Miami Northwestern High School, but attended Milford (NY) Academy for a year to qualify academically before suiting up for the Hurricanes in 2009.

After starting at left guard as a sophomore, Washington moved to left tackle this past season where he started all 12 games and earned Second Team All-ACC honors. He has ideal size, frame and quickness for the next level, but what I like most about Washington is his versatility -- he's one of the few prospects in this draft who can realistically play any of the five offensive line positions.

While RB Lamar Miller is expected to be the first Hurricane drafted in April, I think Washington will not be far behind. This class of guard prospects could go down as one of the best in recent memory.

Fallers

1. Stock Falling
Vontaze Burfict ILB Arizona State
When talking about the most disappointing prospects this season, Burfict needs to be near the top of the list. The Arizona State middle linebacker was a first team all-conference player in his first two seasons and was a preseason favorite to be an All-American and defensive player of the year.

However, Burfict has struggled to play disciplined football this season, finishing with 69 tackles. Just like in the bowl game, he spent a lot of time on the sidelines in 2011 because the coaching staff couldn't trust him on the field.

Burfict's uncontrollable intensity and propensity to attract personal foul penalties has been well documented, but he has several other flaws that scouts cannot ignore. He too often goes for the big hit instead of wrapping up and his lack of ideal instincts were exposed on more than one occasion. Burfict is an intimidating force and very gifted player, oozing with potential, but he doesn't play with his head and makes way too many mental mistakes.

With a new coaching staff taking over in Tempe, it will be interesting to see if Burfict decides to rebuild his draft stock as a senior or turn pro with hopes a team will attempt to control his on-field rage.

2. Stock Falling
Zach Brown OLB North Carolina

Brown is one of the most athletic specimens in this draft class. He is a gifted athlete with fluid range and rare explosiveness and movement skills, but he has struggled to take his instincts and finishing ability to the next level. Brown is overaggressive and plays out of control, moving too fast and failing to break down in tight areas. Brown is excellent in pursuit, but he doesn't have great anticipation and needs to do a better job collecting himself and squaring up defenders.

He is able to make up for his lack of recognition skills with supreme speed and closing burst, but he won't be able to get away with this at the next level. Brown is just scratching the surface of his ability, but looks like a boom or bust prospect. If he commits himself to football and works hard to hone his craft then he could be a Pro Bowler. Nevertheless, Brown will test extremely well at the combine and will likely be overdrafted.

3. Stock Falling
Tank Carder OLB TCU
It's tough to imagine a better name for a linebacker than "Tank" but the two-time Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year award winner has seen his NFL draft stock steadily decline during his senior season. Carder is a student of the game and works hard to get the most out of his ability, but he is a very limited athlete with stiff hips and limited burst, struggling to recover after taking false steps.

He has a tough time changing directions and doesn't show a great feel in coverage or space. Carder, who finished his career at TCU with 228 tackles, is an intense competitor and has a lot to offer a pro team, but he will have a tough time winning a starting job at the next level and doesn't warrant a top-125 pick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We gave up 2 Firsts (1985 & 1986) plus a 3rd and a 6th to get Kosar and Luck has less questions about him then Bernie did when he came out and you don't hear to many people complaining about that trade.

I think we might be able to swing a deal with Indy for both our 1sts and our 3rd rnd pick in this coming draft plus our 2nd rnd pick the following year.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
C
Legend
Legend
C
I'd feel more comfortable if St. Louis was the team we were trading with.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I think everyone would if Luck is the guy we want.

If Indy gets the pick, and release manning, they won't even trade the pick for anything, so simply rule Luck out and move on. We'll know by Feb. if Luck is even a remote option or not. Note: when I say Indy wouldn't trade, I am not talking about throwing the kitchen sink at them and give up 5 first round picks or something crazy.

If any other team up there gets the pick, they won't have as big a hole at QB, so they would at least listen and keep the trade parameters inside the ballpark....expensive, but realistic.

It's going to be a interesting FA period. I think we will be active and go after some name players with some big money.

That isn't ideal, but that is the fastest way to at least get respectable, and right now we need to do that before we talk about building for the future. For the Homie and Heck show, the future is now.

For any player who doesn't care where they play and money is the deciding factor, the Browns are going to open the wallet, so we should land a couple of those guys.

We shouldn't have as many holes in the line-up heading in to the draft as we do now talking about the draft.

I think lots of needs and wants are going to change between now and the April draft.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Definitely the Rams...

GO INDY!!!!!!!

I just can't see Indy passing on Luck unless Irsay has some undeniable loyalty toward Manning...And he just might...We'll know come March when it's time to fork over another $28M...

Rams are wide open though...I'd bet they'd take a package and stick with Bradford...And if they don't and take Luck...Bradford's on the market...Does Holmgren and Shurmer like him as much as they did last year???...I bet they do and would make a play...

Our consolation prize would be RGIII...And the best way 2 land him without any trade compensation is to end up 3rd...That means Indy loses and gets #1...Rams #2...I'd bet money that neither will trade out and lose Luck and Kalil/Blackmon...So RGIII is ours if we want him...If we're at 4 or 5 we probably need to move up to 3 because I'd bet Snyder and Miami both would make the move up...

This is gonna be a wild 4 months coming up...And will be heatedly debated as to whether we should give the package to go to #1...I already know what I want...GO INDY!!!...And GO MINNY!!!...We end up at 4...

Rams
Indy
Jax
Cleveland

And throw the 3 #1's and anything else the Rams want outside of any 2nd rounder and get the damn QB...It's bout damn time a little "LUCK" falls our way...

Strong feeling one of Luck/RGIII/Bradford will be our Day 1 QB in 2012...

Would anyone be opposed of giving the Rams our Atlanta pick for Bradford and taking either Blackmon or Claiborne at 4???

Go Browns!!!
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 2012 Draft Continued Again

Link Copied to Clipboard