Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
FL_Dawg #650383 02/18/12 01:45 AM
Legend
Legend
I think Seattle is perfect for Manning, they have a solid defense and running game built, and talent at WR and TE (and I'm assuming Wayne might follow Manning if possible..)

Plus I doubt Pete Carroll wants to be an NFL coach forever, If he can get a guy like Manning, win even just one SB, he can go back to college and rule somewhere forever...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

it's likely $20mil guaranteed on a 5yr $50mil deal. possibly less.

and, no Brian Hoyer hasn't shown what Flynn has shown in the NFL, he wasn't highly thought of in NE (see drafting Ryan Mallett).

it's possible Flynn busts, which is why you put an opt-out after 2 years (can even draft his replacement in '13 if you want and have him sit/learn for a year). all the while building the team.

to me, it's the best of both worlds. get a new QB with a possibility to take the reigns while also building the overall team. where's the downside?

What has Flynn shown you, in college and in the pros that tells you that he can be a successful starting QB? I'm really curious. He's done a Kelly Holcomb/Derek Anderson start ....... but he's only has 13 starts between college and the NFL. He has yet to be really scouted and prepared for. No one has had the need/opportunity to scout his weaknesses, and take away what he does best.

He will almost certainly get a big deal from a desperate team. There will be no 2 year "out". Why would he take that if he doesn't have to? There will be a moronic bidding war. Personally, I hope we stay out of it.

I find it amusing that Miami is supposed to be a big bidder for him ...... and I'd rather have the Dolphins' current starter Matt Moore than Flynn.

As far as the Pats drafting Mallet ..... they knew that Hoyer would probably be moving on before Brady is ready to retire. They had another backup, Cassel, who they turned into a 1st round pick ...... so who knows if they might be able to do something similar again? (and no, I;m not saying that Hoyer would bring a 1st right now, without the starts Cassel had ...... but he might bring a 3rd-4th)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
cassell fetched a 2nd round pick, not a 1st.

and i don't know but throwing for 400+ yds and 5TDs against a team desperately fighting for playoff seeding is pretty dang impressive.

he's had 2 shots at starting and he's aced both tests. yeah, the defenses weren't great that he faced, but they were better than anything that RGIII has faced, no?

he knows the WCO as he's been in the system for years now.

and yes, there will be an "out" after 2 years. how much guaranteed money do you think he's getting? he hasn't proven more than Cassell, Fitzpatrick, or Kolb have proven. That's why their deals are likely the framework for him. You put the guaranteed money in the front and if you need to, then you get out after 2 seasons.

It's rare for ANY NFL contract not to be able to get out of it quickly if need be (unless you had the misfortune of having a high pick when the deals were ridiculous).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
DA had a killer game against the Bengals in his 1st start of the 2007 season as well.

Flynn has nothing to do with RG3. RG3 is a draft eligible player with over 30 starts in his college career. Flynn is a free agent with 12 or 13 starts in his entire college/pro career combined.

I have a feeling that Flynn is fool's gold ...... a guy who performed well under the most ideal of circumstances .... against an overrated defense, and against a team thankful not to be facing Aaron Rodgers, and experiencing the letdown of all letdowns.

I do think that Flynn will wind up with a contract with $30 million guaranteed. I don't want anything to do with him.

One thing I should expand upon from my earlier post ..... I think that Moore is better than Flynn ....... but I wouldn't necessarily want him either as my "ideal" QB.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

One thing I should expand upon from my earlier post ..... I think that Moore is better than Flynn ....... but I wouldn't necessarily want him either as my "ideal" QB.

I don't know about that, but I do think Moore played far better then he did for Carolina the year before and Miami can win games with him at QB at least in Daboll's vertical offense.

I still think they will be in the QB market, but they are not in as bad off at QB as some would have us believe if they are not able to land a FA or high draft pick.

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
Honestly, I don't think it matters. I think that Flynn chooses Miami with as good of an OL as us, a better running game, better WRs and his OC as HC w/ Sherman as OC. Plus, the weather and no income taxes.

I wouldn't want Moore. First, he doesn't know the WCO. He'd have to learn that from scratch. It's supposed to be hard to learn and take years. We get that for "free" with Flynn, not Moore.

Flynn could be fool's gold (though to think the Lions would "let down" in a must-win game is silly - their pass defense was subpar, just leave it there), but RGIII could bust as well. It's not like he doesn't have red flags as well.

And, RGIII has EVERYTHING to do with Flynn and vice versa. Our FO is comparing which option is better to pursue and how much each will cost (in money, draft picks, etc). They are completely linked as far as the Browns are concerned until the day that Flynn signs with someone (since that will happen first).

I'm not going to convince you that Flynn is a smart choice obviously. That's fine.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
decided to go back and see what I have written about Flynn in the past.

here's from 2009

Quote:

I have seen Flynn for 2 preseason games and in limited live action as well....he looks like the real deal (though who really knows in such limited action). great pocket mobility, plus able to pull it down and run when nothing there. good accuracy on the short throws, good decisions, quick release. his only real problem is that he gets a bit scattered with his accuracy on his deep throws.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Fine my post was loopy

If RG3 busts, he busts harder than Tannehill or Flynn because he'll be harder to get any trade from because he's not a pocket passer. ( So what do I think he is then? Colt Mccoy with nitrous who can make "... " more throws, but neither will ever get the game management / killer instinct of putting an opponent out of their misery.
What I saw in Tannehill, is He's bad, He's Bad! not very good, but somewhere something looked like killer instinct, like he wants to play a 6 hour game so he has more time to carve up the defense. So he's less likely to succeed, but if he does succeed you really have something.
And if Tannehill Busts, he busts as a pocket guy who other teams will give more value for because he's a game manager. ( Kinda David Carr 2.O ) and they'll think they can mold him.
Flynn, in the game highlights vs Detroit, he was just making throws and making throws into tight holes of coverage, and he wasn't holding onto the ball very long either.
All 3 are fools gold. Who knows maybe the Browns will find someone out of west Utah state, and he'll end up being the next Eric Zier ouf of Georgia.

We're doomed.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

If it was me .... I'd probably look at Weeden in the 3rd/4th round and hope that he turns into a home run if McCoy struggles again next year.

I am not at all sold on Flynn. I am wary as can be about an extremely limited guy coming out of college suddenly becoming a star player ...... basically in 2 appearances in 4 years time.

I'll start pimping my boy B.J. Coleman in the 4th round.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
jfanent #650392 02/18/12 10:10 AM
Legend
Legend

Tannehill is a project. He is a second round prospect if he were not a quarterback.

He telegraphs his throws when a pats the ball. He has 19 starts at QB.

He is a good athlete that one day may become a player. However, he is no savior and would require patience to develop. He could flop just as easy as he could succeed.

He way behind Luck and Griffin. Given where the Browns are he is not worth the
risk. I believe Griffin is a much better prospect and worth what it takes to get him. I would have no problem giving up pick 22 for Griffin.

bonefish #650393 02/18/12 02:44 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Tannehill is a project. He is a second round prospect if he were not a quarterback.

He telegraphs his throws when a pats the ball. He has 19 starts at QB.

He is a good athlete that one day may become a player. However, he is no savior and would require patience to develop. He could flop just as easy as he could succeed.

He way behind Luck and Griffin. Given where the Browns are he is not worth the
risk. I believe Griffin is a much better prospect and worth what it takes to get him. I would have no problem giving up pick 22 for Griffin.

So, you think Griffin will be there at 22? For me, even if he was, I'd look to trade the pick away and get what I could get for it.

Legend
Legend
I think he meant giving up 22 to trade up...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #650395 02/18/12 11:06 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I know what he meant, but it could have been worded better.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think that this ranking is deserving of it's own thread and because Tannehill was the biggest gainer, I thought that I would place this in this thread.

For reference;
It will be interesting to see how the combine will effect these rankings, so without further ado here is.....

Revised, NFL Draft Scout top (32) prospects;

1) Luck, *Andrew (--)
QB, Stanford

2) Griffin, *Robert (+1)
QB, Baylor

3) Kalil, *Matt (-1)
OT, Southern Cal

4) Claiborne, *Morris (--)
CB, LSU

5) Blackmon, *Justin (+1)
WR, Oklahoma State

6) Richardson, *Trent (-1)
RB, Alabama

7) Reiff, *Riley (+1)
OT, Iowa

8) Brockers, *Michael (+5) 
DT, LSU

9) DeCastro, *David (+2)
OG, Stanford

10) Still, Devon (-3)
DT, Penn State

11) Tannehill, Ryan (+18) 
QB, Texas A&M

12) Jenkins, Janoris (+5)
CB, North Alabama

13) Floyd, Michael (+7)
WR, Notre Dame

14-- Martin, *Jonathan (-5) 
OT, Stanford

15) Wright, Kendall (--)
WR, Baylor

16) Ingram, Melvin (+2)
OLB, South Carolina

17) Upshaw, Courtney (+2) 
OLB, Alabama

18) Kirkpatrick, *Dre (-8) 
CB, Alabama

19) Kuechly, *Luke (-3)
ILB, Boston College

20) Coples, Quinton (-8)
DE, North Carolina

21) Cox, *Fletcher (+3)
DT, Mississippi State

22) Konz, *Peter (-1) 
C, Wisconsin

23) Glenn, Cordy (+8)
OG, Georgia

24) Worthy, *Jerel (-1)
DT, Michigan State

25) Adams, Mike  (+5)
OT, Ohio State

26) Dennard, Alfonzo (--)
CB, Nebraska

27) Poe, *Dontari (+1)
DT, Memphis

28) Perry, *Nick (-14) 
DE, Southern Cal

29) Hightower, *Dont'a (+3) 
ILB, Alabama

30) Barron, Mark (-5)
SS, Alabama

31) Mercilus, *Whitney 
(-9)
DE, Illinois

32) Thompson, Brandon (+1)
DT, Clemson

() = trend + or - or, -- < no change.

Thoughts / Comments?

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend

Maybe I need to clarify about Griffin.

I would have no problem moving up to the number two slot for Griffin using the the 22 pick to get there.

Griffin has terrific skills and the intelligence and character to match. The junk about spread offense and playing under center is meaningless.

This is a world class athlete. Taking a 3, 5, 7 foot drop from under center will be no problem for this kid to learn. It is not like the Browns are going to win the Super Bowl next year.

Next year he will be good. In two or three years he will be a force in the league.

Look at what the Browns gave up for Kosar as a reference point.

I have no idea what people are looking at when evaluating Griffin and then coming away and saying this kid is not a top talent. You have to be blind to not see his skill set.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rang doesn't like Tannehill and the only reason he has jumped 18 spots is because of actual team interest. As I have been saying for months, dont be surprised if the Browns value Tannehill more than RG3.

Legend
Legend
I would be astonished if the Browns value Tannehill all that highly.

If you are going to go get an inexperienced QB, you might as well go get Flynn and keep all of your draft picks. Tannehill is not going to contribute to this team fr a year or 2. That's not value for this team. 2 years from now this entire front office could be gone if we haven't found our QB by then.

As always ... JHELHO. (just my ever lovin' humble opinion)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Tannehill is not going to contribute to this team fr a year or 2. That's not value for this team. 2 years from now this entire front office could be gone if we haven't found our QB by then.

At least he has somewhat of an understanding of the WCO. More so then a spread offense prospect and I don't care how successful they where at the College Level.

I think that was part of McCoy's trouble this past season, at the very least a Large contributing factor anyway.

It's a giant leap.

I think that it is more beneficial to any QB, that they learn the regular offense and catering to their needs might also stunt their growth in the long term.

Hey Mourg, Rob Rang uses their (DS) rankings, so it would not surprise me if he had other opinions.

I think that their initial ranking of him at #29 can in part, be due to the let down of expectations of not seeing him in the Senior Bowl.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I don't care if Tannehill has experience in the WCO or not ...... he has a lot of deficiencies that are going to limit his ability to play at an NFL level for a couple of years. He is heavily inexperienced. Like it or not, Cam Newton notwithstanding, most QBs without a great deal of college experience never make it in the NFL. I think that Tannehill has size and measurables, but he doesn't have an elite arm, and he doesn't have elite accuracy in the intermediate to deep passing game. He can be pressured into mistakes. To me he is a huge risk, and one that I would not be interested in taking. You may disagree, and that's your right ...... but I want no part of him, especially in the first.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If someone came on here and said man we gots to get this young QB coming out in the draft. He is probably 6-1 maybe less. He is fast and he has real nimble feet but horrible footwork. He has a real strong arm but he has this quirky release where it is like throwing darts. He has great touch and accuracy on the deep ball but his short to mid stuff needs a lot of work. He is also from the spread and never worked from under center.

Guess what he would be laughed off the board. Now you guys tell me he is the #2 prospect.

As for Tannehill, he has everybit the arm that RG3 has, better accuracy short to mid, better mechanics, better footwork, better size and from a pro system.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If someone came on here and said man we gots to get this young QB coming out in the draft. He is probably 6-1 maybe less. He is fast and he has real nimble feet but horrible footwork. He has a real strong arm but he has this quirky release where it is like throwing darts. He has great touch and accuracy on the deep ball but his short to mid stuff needs a lot of work. He is also from the spread and never worked from under center.

I would wonder who that person was talking about.

yebat' Putin
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Guess what he would be laughed off the board. Now you guys tell me he is the #2 prospect.

As for Tannehill, he has everybit the arm that RG3 has, better accuracy short to mid, better mechanics, better footwork, better size and from a pro system.

I would ask if you would take a mid to later round flyer on him. If you told me he was going top 5, I would ask when was the last time a 6'1 or less non prototypical QB was drafted that high?

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Mike Sherman compares Tannehill to Favre, Rodgers

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 20, 2012, 11:03 AM EST

The Dolphins are in a better position than any team to know whether Matt Flynn is worth franchise quarterback money.

They are also in a better position than any team to know whether Texas A&M product Ryan Tannehill is a worth high draft pick in April. Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman speaks highly of his former pupil.

“Like all good quarterbacks he had great poise. Very confident in any system, west coast or not,” Sherman said via Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “Any quarterback has to be confident in his own skin and believe in himself. They always say a great quarterback makes those around him better. I thought [Brett] Favre did that. I think Aaron Rodgers does that. I think Tannehill does that as well.”

Sherman and Tannehill didn’t make the Aggies enough better last year or Sherman wouldn’t have been fired. A former college receiver, Tannehill is a good fit for a West Coast offense at quarterback.

Tannehill’s tools and intangibles will likely make him a first round pick and the No. 3 quarterback in this class. Like Christian Ponder and Jake Locker last year, we expect Tannehill to get pushed up high in the draft because so many teams need quarterbacks.

One of those teams — Miami — might tell us what they are thinking about Tannehill in free agency. If they sign Flynn or Peyton Manning, it’s hard to imagine them taking Tannehill.

If the Dolphins only sign a second-tier player at quarterback, perhaps Sherman has convinced the organization that Tannehill is ready to lead an organization.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Subliminal message

Is it not implied in the context of the debate?

And YT, you missed my subliminal message.

A few folks have stated that they never thought that Colt McCoy was worthy of his accomplishments at the College level coming from the spread offense.
He just did not project well in some of your opinions, based on the fact that he came from a spread offense and therefore his stats where skewed.

Now.....
Granted I'll give you the strength of arm, but Griffen is basically the same blank canvas that we had in Colt from an experience stand point at this level, higher ceiling not with standing.

Mentally Tannehill is more versed no matter how you spin it. Has he warts? You bet, but so does any prospect depending on your expectations of them including Andrew Luck.

We've covered that already.

There is little doubt in my mind that Griffen will go before Tannehill ... That is not the issue of debate.

So what are your thoughts on the other 31?

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 02/20/12 01:33 PM.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Ditto.

I don't know where anyone would get that Griffin isn't accurate on the short to medium stuff. The kid completed over 72% of his passes, and did so throwing all over the field. He averaged over 10 yards/pass attempt. That's almost obscene. He has never thrown more than 8 INT in any season. He has gotten better and better as each year has progressed.

That's the stats part.

Griffin has uncanny accuracy, and an arm that allows him to make NFL caliber throws to any level of the field. He can snap off a 15 yard out like it's a 5 yard slant. He is the best deep passer in college football right now IMO. If there's someone who throws a better, more accurate deep ball, I haven't seen him. He has a very quick release, but sometimes gets his arm angle a little out of whack. The ball still flies true though. He is damn near unstoppable when he sets his feet properly. and can fit the ball into any NFL window there is. He has an almost uncanny ability to make plays out of nothing, and can drop a ball into his receiver's hands, even against double coverage. He knows how to buy time to allow plays to develop, and can also get the ball out quickly when necessary. I saw one play where he was pressured, and the camera never left him ....... he was running towards the right sideline, and he whipped the ball out for something like a 15 yard pass to the same sideline so quickly that I literally had to go back and watch it again because the ball came out so quickly that I thought he just ran out of bounds with it.

RG3 does need work on his footwork, but he's not as terrible as you make him out to be. He doesn't always set his feet. It doesn't seem to matter. It will at the next level, and I think that he'll improve in that area as he also adjusts to working more under Center. His overall physical ability is such that he should have no trouble at all learning drops and making those drops as well as any other QB in the league. We also used the shotgun about 47% (IIRC) of the time last year. Maybe we have to start out with a slightly higher percentage at first. If he's making plays, and making plays that count, I'm perfectly OK with that.

I don't see some huge learning curve for RG3 compared to Tannehill because Tannehill doesn't have much experience as it is as a QB. I have seen Tannehill "throw darts" on occassion as well, and in fact, pointed out one such throw in one of mac's highlight videos. There was another such throw as well, but the one I pointed out was him completely getting behind the ball and pushing it out. Tannehill tends to lose accuracy as he goes down the field. He also loses a lot when pressured. That's not a slam. He's an inexperienced QB, and it's to be expected. His footwork looks ok most of the time, but again, when pressured his feet can go all to hell. He is a major project at the NFL level. He has .. what ....... about 20 starts at the college level? (including bowl games) That's a big thing for a QB. He hasn't had the experience that most guys at the top of a draft get.

I like Tannehill's short accuracy, but I don't see a special arm there. I don't see special accuracy at all levels. I see ideal size, but the league is moving towards more and more 6'2" type QBs rather than the 6'4" and up that used to be the ideal. Given the passing rules in today's NFL, a QB has got to be able to make throws to all levels of the field, and with authority. I don't think that guy is Tannehill .... at least not yet. he might get there ...... but he needs a lot of work. I certainly don't see him as a day 1 starter, although some team may throw him into the fire early. I don't think that he'll be ready.

Anyway ...... should be interesting to see which QB does better than the other a few years down the line. I'll be perfectly willing to stand up and say I was wrong if it's not RG3. I've always been willing to take my shots if I was wrong on a player, and I'll do the same if I am wrong here. I don't think I will be though. I have said all along, and I maintain to this day, that I think that this kid has superstar written all over him ....... from his ability, to his demeanor, to his leadership, to his intelligence ....... I think that RG3 will be one of those players who wins multiple Super Bowls, and who helps define an era.

Legend
Legend

Charlie Weiss said Brady Quinn was all that and bag full of chips.

Time will tell.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
full of chips he said.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
That could just be Weiss saying he was hungry for a bag of chips ...

But in all seriousness. Isn't it the norm for a coach to endorse his players or former players?

I can't really think of a time when a former college coach of a player said BAD things about him.

Even when Pete Carroll drafted Earl Thomas over Taylor Mays (was it two years ago?) everyone said it showed Mays was BAD because Carroll passed up on him.

Was it really that he was that bad (hindsight says yes) or did Carroll just not prefer him?

My point is I feel like these days a coach's endorsement is the norm ... and a lack of an endorsement shows major red flags. I wonder how many former Scarlett Knights Schiano will pick up now in Tampa Bay as a side note.

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. It's like Harbaugh calling Owen Marecic the finest football player he ever had the privilege to coach. Then passing on him for four straight rounds.

A coach is going to publicly praise every former player almost regardless the situation. It doesn't benefit them in any way to do otherwise. What they say behind closed doors and what they do if they make the jump to NFL head coach is what's important

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Marecic / Clutts decisions , decisions !

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill did not participate in drills at the combine due to a foot injury.

INDIANAPOLIS -- It's a near certainty, as it has been for two years now, that Andrew Luck will be the first pick in the draft.

It seems increasingly likely, especially on the heels of Sunday's official 4.41 40-yard dash time, that Robert Griffin III will come off the board next, with his landing spot riding on whatever price the Rams can exact for the second pick.

And here's what else is coming clear: Ryan Tannehill could well be a top 10 pick. At the very least, he's separating himself from the quarterback pack that sits behind Luck and Griffin. Ask NFL evaluators, and you'll hear the consensus building that the Texas A&M prospect is the third guy in this class at the most important position.

"Yes," said one college scout, when asked if Tannehill's the clear cut No. 3. "Assuming he works out well at the end of the month, and that his foot is healed, then yes."

"Not by leaps and bounds," texted a personnel executive, "but yes."

Sources say multiple teams in the top 10 have more than a cursory interest in Tannehill, a 6-foot-4 specimen who was athletic enough to play receiver in College Station before wresting the job under center. Tannehill is not participating in drills at the combine, as he rehabs a foot injury suffered in January, but did go through medical testing and team interviews.

So how does Tannehill see it? He might or might not know this, but the race to be first in the draft appears to be over, with Luck ticketed for Indy. Likewise, Griffin likely will know his fate in the few minutes after Luck comes off the board. All that, though, doesn't mean Tannehill is throwing in the towel.

He does, in fact, seem himself as being in competition with the other two Texans. Can he catch them?

"I'm a super-competitive guy who's going to do everything I can to maximize my potential in the next two months, doing everything I can to impress some teams out there," he told me. "And hopefully one team will fall in love with me and draft me. Definitely, I want to compete with those guys. It's not up to me to decide what order we go in. But definitely, I want to compete, I want to go as high as possible. That's just in my nature to compete, as well it would be with those guys."

Here's the reality: He's not catching Luck. He's probably not catching Griffin either. But simply by interjecting himself in the conversation with those two, he's won the battle, to a certain extent. Beyond just that, if a team in the top 10 is convinced he projects as a franchise quarterback, it's unlikely now they'd pass on Tannehill, based the importance of that spot.

"No one will like him more than Luck," said the scout. "But I wouldn't be shocked if someone likes him more than Griffin. He has prototypical size, arm strength and athleticism. You are betting upside some with him, because he's only been a starting quarterback for a year and a half."

Some clubs like Tannehill more than they did Blaine Gabbert (picked 10th in 2011) or Christian Ponder (12th). Tannehill could rise similarly up the board in April. But he swears that, for now, he's not wrapped up in that, with Luck and Griffin, two guys he followed as a Texas high schooler, grabbing all the headlines.

"That's not for me to decide," he said. "I want to do everything I can, and one day we'll decide who's the best quarterback. Right now, it doesn't matter. We're just trying to prepare for the draft and be the best quarterbacks we can be in a small timeframe. … I'm excited about where I'm at. My foot's rehabbing, and I'm feeling good."

He'll work out in late March in College Station. And he's got two weeks to go in the rehab process, an eternity if you're waiting on something as significant as this.

At this point, it's impossible to know where Tannehill's final destination is. What we know now is he probably won't be waiting long on April 26.

Follow Albert Breer on Twitter @AlbertBreer

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Good ..... I hope that Seattle, Miami, and Washington satisfy their QB desires with Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn, and Ryan Tannehill ...... leaving the path clear for us to get the guy with the biggest superstar potential, RG3.

I can see a scenario where we trade up to #2 for RG3, because no one else wants to go that high, then someone else trades up to 3 for Tannehill.

That could be kinda interesting.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

And here's what else is coming clear: Ryan Tannehill could well be a top 10 pick. At the very least, he's separating himself from the quarterback pack that sits behind Luck and Griffin.

How is he separating himself? By hurting his foot working out? Because he didn't do anything at the combine.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Good ..... I hope that Seattle, Miami, and Washington satisfy their QB desires with Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn, and Ryan Tannehill ...... leaving the path clear for us to get the guy with the biggest superstar potential, RG3.

I can see a scenario where we trade up to #2 for RG3, because no one else wants to go that high, then someone else trades up to 3 for Tannehill.

That could be kinda interesting.

Um, if everyone else has a QB... We wouldn't need to trade up...

Hell I'm pretty sure if Washington picks up a FA QB we can just stay at 4, I doubt Stl or Min wants to drop that low...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

And here's what else is coming clear: Ryan Tannehill could well be a top 10 pick. At the very least, he's separating himself from the quarterback pack that sits behind Luck and Griffin.

How is he separating himself? By hurting his foot working out? Because he didn't do anything at the combine.

LOL, Don't shoot the messenger FCOL.

I think he was already considered to be the 3rd QB before the combine.

I just found it interesting that a scout also feels he could be a top 10 selection as myself and Mourg have been saying.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
sorry, didn't mean that to be at you. It was meant for the author, who obviously will never read my comment.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Actually yes. A top 5 QBs natural tendency is to rise up the boards as the draft approaches unless they do something to not look good... the less a QB prospect does the better as far as his draft stock goes because it limits the chances that he will screw something up.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From PFT

Browns coach Pat Shurmur talks up Ryan Tannehill
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 2, 2012, 9:05 AM EST
Texas v Texas A&M Getty Images

If the reports that the Browns aren’t enthusiastic about trading up to draft Robert Griffin III are true, does that mean Cleveland has decided against taking a quarterback in the first round of the NFL draft?

Not necessarily. Browns coach Pat Shurmur told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that he liked another quarterback he met with at the Scouting Combine: Texas A&M’s Ryan Tannehill. After first saying he was impressed with Griffin, Shurmur then mentioned how much he liked Tannehill.

“I was equally impressed with Ryan,” Shurmur said. “Very intelligent young man. Did a nice job in the interview. It’s important in the interview that they’re able to talk about what they did when we watch their film, and I thought he did a very nice job of that. He was very productive this year after being a receiver. He played receiver for 30 games and quarterback for 21. That’s not always easy to do.”

If the Browns are considering taking Tannehill with the fourth overall pick, then they’re a lot higher on him than anyone realizes. And if the Browns are a lot higher on Tannehill than anyone realizes, Shurmur probably wouldn’t be talking up the Browns’ interest.

But Tannehill remains one of the most interesting players in this year’s NFL draft. With Andrew Luck looking like a sure thing to go first and Griffin looking like a sure thing to go second, the biggest question at quarterback is where Tannehill, widely regarded as the third-best quarterback in the draft, will end up.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Sounds exactly like what you'd expect him to say.

C
All Pro
All Pro
C
I would be interested if I heard a report from an anonymous source. From Pat (who will soon be known as one of the top coaches in the NFL), he isn't going to tip their hand. If you ask him about any of the top players he will talk well of them. He isn't going tell us anything.

I read that article and then read what a Browns fan posted after and he was upset that Pat wasn't showing interest in RG3. To him, all I can say is

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Ryan Tannehill

Link Copied to Clipboard