Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If the Browns are considering taking Tannehill with the fourth overall pick, then they’re a lot higher on him than anyone realizes. And if the Browns are a lot higher on Tannehill than anyone realizes, Shurmur probably wouldn’t be talking up the Browns’ interest.

LOL.. this is very true. But they talk up almost all of the top prospects because they don't know yet which one they will end up with... you don't want to end up drafting a guy in the top 10 and be on record a month before questioning his skills.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If the reports that the Browns aren’t enthusiastic about trading up to draft Robert Griffin III are true,

I probably just missed it but when was this reported. I mean, I didn't see that they were gaga over him, except in media reports reprinted from other media types.. But I also didn't hear anything about them NOT being enthusiastic either?

Where in the hell does this stuff come from

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I saw it somewhere, but I figured its all BS. Like he is gonna say...."We want RG3 and we'll do whatever it takes to get him"

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There were a couple of reports that the Browns had inquired about the cost of trading up but had been weirdly disinterested or something to that effect.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
What exactly does "weirdly disinterested" mean? Trade back to 7 and nab Tannehill?

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Legend
Legend
it means that the person in the media that wrote that couldn't understand why the Browns weren't overtly crazy-interested in the idea like everyone in the media says they should be.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Sounds exactly like what you'd expect him to say.

Yep. And it could indicate we're likely to pick him and it could indicate we wouldn't pick him if he were the last QB on earth.

I've seen enough off seasons, as have you, to ignore anything these guys say.

(Though I'm always excited to read a new quote)

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly.

Also I would expect us to say nice things about Tannehill. If we didnt I think thatd be a bigger tipoff at this point.

I'll bet that they discussed some WCO concepts and he probably impressed.

Oh and if we take Tannehill at 4...

Well then Heckert is an idiot and should be shot by a firing squad.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Well ..... if it's like other years, the combine meant very little to the Browns overall. Their biggest test will be how the QBs they are interested in do in the personal team visits ..... but these guys seem to make up their minds (ala Haden) well in advance of those events, using them more simply for confirmation that anything else.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Agreed. I recall Heckert (or was it Savage??) saying something to the effect of they pretty much know a player by the end of the season, and they just use the combine to confirm what they feel they think a guy can do.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I saw it somewhere, but I figured its all BS. Like he is gonna say...."We want RG3 and we'll do whatever it takes to get him"

I guess I just missed it then.., OK

back to Tannehill.. I've seen mocks where he's considered to be anywhere from the 10 pick in the first round, all the way to the middle of the 2nd round.

I saw those clips of him that someone posted the other day and to be honest, that wasn't all that great.

If the browns are "truly" interested in him, at what pick do any of you feel that it would it be "too high".

Could it be that Tannehill is this years McCoy.. meaning there was more than one mock that felt that McCoy would go in the first and he didn't go until the 3rd round.. Could Tannehill be another one of those kinda draft day drops?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I don't know if that's sarcasm (knowing you like I do, I don't believe it is) but I do know it's damned accurate.

Good prospect? Sure. 4th-pick-in-the-draft good? Hel no.

Speaking in general terms here, Tannehill looks to me like that guy who is a notch below the higher percentage guys who rockets up the draft boards because of how desperate teams are for QB's.

Quite frankly, sure, I see the tools, but he scares me as a first-rounder. I've watched the same amount of video on him as I have on Griffin, and I see less to like. If he's taken by ANYONE in the top-10, they are gonna be throwing major dice.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quite frankly, sure, I see the tools, but he scares me as a first-rounder. I've watched the same amount of video on him as I have on Griffin, and I see less to like. If he's taken by ANYONE in the top-10, they are gonna be throwing major dice.

I agree. Someone will draft him high just because they don't "think" he'll be available later. If the Browns draft him, I hope to heck it's not at 4. I would say that would be out thinking ourselves.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Rookie
Rookie
If the price for Griffin is too much, I wouldnt mind trading back to 8 or 9 adding a couple picks picking up Tannehill and getting a wide reciever at 22

Browns draft wish list: RG3, LaMichael James, Devier Posey, Bruce Irvin

FA Wish List: Mike Tolbert, Pierre Garcon, Mario Manningham, Demetrius Bell
T
Legend
Legend
T
Sometimes you gotta take the wrong player, in the draft to be successful, I know it sounds idiotic but I think it works.

First of all, About this stufff reports the Browns were uninterested in trading up for RG3, because someone asked in another thread, " who said that" ... Well on Feb 28 when the Rams publicly started to shop the #2 pick there were radio reports, not radio chatter, on local radio here, ... so the commercial break " update" report said , " the Browns are "" suprisingly uninterested"" I'm sure I heard that phrase, and also, " some" of the coaches wouldn't know how they would use him," but it's radio, which can't be referenced on here, but a radio " report" not radio chatter . And like they just posted, it's probably just suprising to the reporters that the browns aren't overly enthuisiastic to move up to 2 like all the talking heads think they should be.

back to the " take the wrong player" point I just made.

Deryious Heyward Bey, Raiders, This was an absolute TERIBBLE! draft pick, the guy couldn't catch a cold, he was running horrible, EVERYTHING looked like he should fall in the draft, but He's been a good player for them and it's worked out for them.

That's exactly why I'd take Tannehill at 4, or if a trade back 2 spots to 6 and try to take him there, and I'll agree everyone will be saying how AWFUL it might be, but for the Browns in about 200 days when the 2012 draft is out of everyones narrowly focused minds, I think Tannehill will have been the right move.

Why?

Because RG3 is an all in bet, meaning you start completely over and the pressure to dump McCoy will be there.

Tannehill can be just as + - as RG3, and you can keep McCoy for his 3rd year And at the end of the season when you don't have to " dump" either Tannehill or McCoy you have more leverage in getting value for one of them.

Today! If I had to make the final call, I'd take Tannehill at 4, or RG3 at 4 or Luck at 4, or if they go 1-2-3- then Blackmon at 4 and don't trade up for ANYBODY!

Barkley and Landry Jones are both going to be in the draft next year.
RG3 would not be the best Qb in the draft next year
Luck is going to go #1, and all this lose games for the chance to get him. So RG3 is not the best QB in the draft this year.
He's not hall of fame ready yet,
There's probably No qb in the NFL I'd give 2 first rounders for + more at this point.

Alright that's a stretch, but I don't like the idea of 2 firsts + for RG3, No Way.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
We are talking to the Rams alright...about trading them our #4 pick and getting some of the bounty they got for trading the #2 to some other team.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Agreed. I recall Heckert (or was it Savage??) saying something to the effect of they pretty much know a player by the end of the season, and they just use the combine to confirm what they feel they think a guy can do.

Exactly...

Combines don't make any player...

Go Browns!!!
Legend
Legend
With that said, I think that there can still be cases where a kid can open some eyes and get them to go back and take a second look at his tapes..... but, I'd wager real money that the smart scouts and GM's go mostly off of what they see on tape and NOT what happens at the combine.

Browns is the Browns

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Yup. The combine is used to uncover flaws, not uncover hidden gems. Does it happen? Yes, but that isn't what normally happens.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Legend
Legend
Correct. What usually happens with most of those "gems", however, is that they put up great numbers but it never translates to the field.

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know if that's sarcasm (knowing you like I do, I don't believe it is) but I do know it's damned accurate.

Good prospect? Sure. 4th-pick-in-the-draft good? Hel no.

Speaking in general terms here, Tannehill looks to me like that guy who is a notch below the higher percentage guys who rockets up the draft boards because of how desperate teams are for QB's.

I see the same....but the question we and the FO have got to answer is this: how does this Tannehill look compared to RG3 after 20 or so starts? Many say that RG didnt look like a 1st rounder until last season...the question is: does Tannehill, the 20 game starter, look as good as RG the after 20 starts?

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tannehill is farther along than RG3 after 20 starts but that has a lot to do with the 30 or so games that he played at receiver and he was taking in film sessions with the Quarterbacks. It really boils down to how much growth do you believe he has left in him.

I think with his physical tools you have a lot of people in Berea going we can make this kid into something special. The big advantage is in that they are all speaking the same language. That has to make a good impression on these coaches after spending so much time with spread QBs.

Colt, Bradford, Cam, Tebow, Gabbert, Locker, RG3, Osweiler\ is and endless supply of Spread system QBs. I cant help but believe he had to make a great impression during his interviews.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Quote:

Sometimes you gotta take the wrong player, in the draft to be successful, I know it sounds idiotic but I think it works.

First of all, About this stufff reports the Browns were uninterested in trading up for RG3, because someone asked in another thread, " who said that" ... Well on Feb 28 when the Rams publicly started to shop the #2 pick there were radio reports, not radio chatter, on local radio here, ... so the commercial break " update" report said , " the Browns are "" suprisingly uninterested"" I'm sure I heard that phrase, and also, " some" of the coaches wouldn't know how they would use him," but it's radio, which can't be referenced on here, but a radio " report" not radio chatter . And like they just posted, it's probably just suprising to the reporters that the browns aren't overly enthuisiastic to move up to 2 like all the talking heads think they should be.

back to the " take the wrong player" point I just made.

Deryious Heyward Bey, Raiders, This was an absolute TERIBBLE! draft pick, the guy couldn't catch a cold, he was running horrible, EVERYTHING looked like he should fall in the draft, but He's been a good player for them and it's worked out for them.

That's exactly why I'd take Tannehill at 4, or if a trade back 2 spots to 6 and try to take him there, and I'll agree everyone will be saying how AWFUL it might be, but for the Browns in about 200 days when the 2012 draft is out of everyones narrowly focused minds, I think Tannehill will have been the right move.

Why?

Because RG3 is an all in bet, meaning you start completely over and the pressure to dump McCoy will be there.

Tannehill can be just as + - as RG3, and you can keep McCoy for his 3rd year And at the end of the season when you don't have to " dump" either Tannehill or McCoy you have more leverage in getting value for one of them.

Today! If I had to make the final call, I'd take Tannehill at 4, or RG3 at 4 or Luck at 4, or if they go 1-2-3- then Blackmon at 4 and don't trade up for ANYBODY!

Barkley and Landry Jones are both going to be in the draft next year.
RG3 would not be the best Qb in the draft next year
Luck is going to go #1, and all this lose games for the chance to get him. So RG3 is not the best QB in the draft this year.
He's not hall of fame ready yet,
There's probably No qb in the NFL I'd give 2 first rounders for + more at this point.

Alright that's a stretch, but I don't like the idea of 2 firsts + for RG3, No Way.

Heyward Bey has not ever approached the level one would expect from a WR taken, I believe 7th overall. Even this year with 64 catches for 975 yds and 4 tds. He is/was still a terrible draft pick as of today in my opinion.

N
Legend
Legend
N
i don't know if Tannehill is or is not farther along after 20 starts than RGIII, but RGIII got to have a bunch more starts against college competition to refine his skills more, so it's not like that matters.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

If the Browns are considering taking Tannehill with the fourth overall pick, then they’re a lot higher on him than anyone realizes. And if the Browns are a lot higher on Tannehill than anyone realizes, Shurmur probably wouldn’t be talking up the Browns’ interest.

LOL.. this is very true. But they talk up almost all of the top prospects because they don't know yet which one they will end up with... you don't want to end up drafting a guy in the top 10 and be on record a month before questioning his skills.

There's a good hand of poker being played ..first remember how Shumur was glowing about Griffith a few months ago before Baylors big game..then after that ..the Browns grew very cool about the QB's..and even looking disinterested to the Rams about him..now we here they have a offer on the table for him..next Shurmur is talking up Tannehill..so ojne of two things are in play..the Browns want the Rams to sweat.Everyone ones knows we have the best ammo to get Griffith,but the asking price today is too high..the Rams will have to back off a bit for them to get the Browns offer.
Mentioning RT makes them think the Browns will go in another direction.
While it is possible they really do like him ,I think it's to get other teams to bite and come up to 4,knowing thats too high to select him.
So the Browns are now their hand in this cat n mouse game and want to take leverage away from the Rams.

Legend
Legend
When was Shurmur talking about Griffin before the draft season opened, and Griffin declared?

If he did too much specific talking about him, the team and he could be fined, and they could lose draft picks, because teams are forbidden to talk about underclassmen who have not declared for the draft.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

If he did too much specific talking about him, the team and he could be fined, and they could lose draft picks, because teams are forbidden to talk about underclassmen who have not declared for the draft.

I just remember Shurmur saying that RGlll was a good, athletic QB and could play in any system.

Nothing to get fined over. He didn't say much as I remember.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was in a interview he had before Baylors bowl game(?) ..he said he liked his skills a lot and he was going to watch him play..he was very open about him..but after that the Browns went on lockdown about him.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It was in a interview he had before Baylors bowl game(?) ..he said he liked his skills a lot and he was going to watch him play..he was very open about him..but after that the Browns went on lockdown about him.

yeah, but that's the kinda stuff they say about all the Qb's coming out of college..

Anyway, I don't think you can trust anything coming out of any team this time of year. Can't put a whole lotta stock in anything right now..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No this was a bit different Daman,draft season hadn't started yet..all he needed to say was he was going to check him out.No considering Shurmur's nature he was actually excited about the prospect..and I noted the Browns became very quiet after that..as if he had spoken when they hadn't wanted him to..I know all about the deceptive games,but this wasn't time for that,the college season wasn't even over.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I see the same....but the question we and the FO have got to answer is this: how does this Tannehill look compared to RG3 after 20 or so starts? Many say that RG didnt look like a 1st rounder until last season...the question is: does Tannehill, the 20 game starter, look as good as RG the after 20 starts?

I'd be lying if I said I could answer that. I don't have access to video like I did twenty years ago. Thank God for Youtube, hehe. Still, there isn't much "old" video on Griffin for me to make an informed comment comparing the two. If I did, it'd just be lying.

Out of fairness to Mourg, (screw Tannehill, I don't owe him jack ) I decided to go back and watch everything I could find on Tannehill from 2011. There are vids of him from 2010, but that would be selling the kid short so I skipped those until after I'd seen the 2011 stuff. I was hoping I'd see something that I'd missed before. So what did I see?

Lemme get the good stuff outa the way first. Yes, he has an NFL arm, size, and measurables. He throws a VERY tight spiral and has a compact release. He has grade-A wheels (would be A+ if it weren't for the two guys in front of him this year D'oh!) and throws decently on the run.

Now the bad.

Very little difference between the guy from 2010 and the guy from 2011. That is a MAJOR red-flag for me because I can usually at least attempt to make an argument that says if any QB had NFL-quality coaches teaching him, big strides would be made. Well, Sherman is so over-qualified to be a college head coach it's sickening. Furthermore, he's so damned young in terms of knowing the position that he shoulda made big strides regardless of coaching just because he was so raw. I didn't see that at all.

I was hard pressed to find one single play where Tannehill came off of his first read and went to his second. I never saw him go to a third. That's alarming. He stared down his primary and never came off of that guy.

When pressured, his throws became terribly erratic and his decision-making suffered badly. That says he doesn't really understand the position. He only knows where he's supposed to go with the ball out of the gate, but doesn't know what to do if the first read isn't there. If he hasn't made that stride between 2010 and 2011, he isn't going to make it between 2011 and his rookie year in the NFL.

When scrambling his mobile accuracy went down more than Griffin's or Luck's does. I cannot say whether it'll improve over time or not.

All this did was reaffirm what I'd thought before, which is that he's more Chad Henne than anything else. If you're going to take several years to become a #1 QB in the NFL, you're not worth a top-15 pick. If he goes early, it's because a team is desperate and over-pays to get him. I'd grade him ahead of where I had Quinn, but not by much, which means he's a middle-to-late 2nd rounder. Even if we stuck at #22 and took him, I'd still say it's a reach.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought his greatest improvement was in footwork and mechanics which resulted in a quicker release. Still has a slight dip to his shoulder that I hate. When you dip the shoulder like that you lose velocity on the ball.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Your kidding ...Right?

Any Youtube Video can be authored to show good or bad and a half truth is as good as a lie in my book. Your not getting enough of the bigger picture to come to any conclusions on.

"he's more Chad Henne"

That's a terrible comparison imo.

Chad Henne has a noodle for an arm.

That's unadulterated propaganda

You'll have to do better then trying to discrediting Tannehill to make Griffen look more appealing to trade up for.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I thought his greatest improvement was in footwork and mechanics which resulted in a quicker release. Still has a slight dip to his shoulder that I hate. When you dip the shoulder like that you lose velocity on the ball.

Yes , but now compare his throwing mechanics to that of Griffen's.

[Linked Image]

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Any Youtube Video can be authored to show good or bad and a half truth is as good as a lie in my book. Your not getting enough of the bigger picture to come to any conclusions on.

I don't use highlight video's. Idiots use those. I only use edited video's that show every offensive throw of every play in a game.

Quote:

"he's more Chad Henne"

That's a terrible comparison imo.

I didn't say he has Henne's arm. He's Chad Henne when it comes to being ok with the first read then falling apart when he has to start making progressions.

Quote:

You'll have to do a better then trying to discrediting Tannehill to make Griffen look more appealing to trade up for.

That argument isn't for me to make. I stated what I saw from Tannehill and how he compares to other QB's.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't use highlight video's. Idiots use those.

On this we can agree.

Any QB can be Coached and with more experience learn to go threw his progressions ... to me that is not an inherent flaw or something that can't be improved upon.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
It all boils down to what the FO wants to do with whomever they may draft(if they do)

If they want someone to start RIGHT NOW, while not perfect, RG3 IMO is better prepared to start day 1..

If they want someone to sit behind Colt for a year, you go with Tannehill IMO and save yourself some draft picks...

Hell with Tannehill you might be able to trade down (slightly) and grab some extra picks...

Unless someone like Miami misses out on both Manning and Flynn and goes super desperate and trades up to grade Tannehill at 3...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It all boils down to what the FO wants to do with whomever they may draft(if they do)

If they want someone to start RIGHT NOW, while not perfect, RG3 IMO is better prepared to start day 1..

If they want someone to sit behind Colt for a year, you go with Tannehill IMO and save yourself some draft picks...

Hell with Tannehill you might be able to trade down (slightly) and grab some extra picks...

Unless someone like Miami misses out on both Manning and Flynn and goes super desperate and trades up to grade Tannehill at 3...

I don't think that you should base drafting a QB on weather or not he can start as a rookie.

You should base your opinion on whether or not you think that he has what it takes to start in this League at some point in his development.

Rodgers is a perfect example ... he would have been a train wreck waiting to happen if he was asked to shoulder the load as a rookie, but that did not make him a bad selection.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont get the whole RG3 is a day 1 starter stuff. He never worked from under center, didnt have a playbook, 1 read offense, held the ball waiting for receivers to come open instead of throwing them open.

That's not to say he cant do it but these are some big issues, he must overcome as a rookie.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thanks for the breakdown Toad...what you wrote reminds me an awful lot of Gabbert...has it all, but something's missing/not there yet....I agree that Henne is a similar type QB, that's probably why I like him as a DA-like backup sleeper pickup in FA (just depth though, make no mistake)

@Mourg

I'm probably 1 of the few on record who wants to sign a stop gap in FA (Campbell...or at least Orton) AND draft RG3 ("ok" with Tannehill too....you're going to take the flak anyway if he busts, lol)...I don't want another "hand it to the youngster" QB starter...make him earn it...if he is as good as Campbell, then start and develop him...until then start the FA...

why not Colt instead of a FA? Because the FO has talked him up too much already and if you allow him to battle a high pick it just leads to fan and locker room splitting....maybe they drafted him as a long term backup, but they messed this plan up last season...that ship has sailed now...I don't want another "Wallace" backup, who just waits for another chance to start and maybe feels betrayed by the FO because he was talked to like the next big thing before last season....Colt is likeable and he would compete, I get it...but you underestimate the fact that he was coddled all through College and here too after Mangini was gone....that'd be a completely new situation for him and I don't wanna find out how he reacts, so I would trade him for whatever late round cond. pick I can get...I even think there's a good chance he would still be a good teammate but I fear the homers more in this...I don't want to mess up our top pick QB because some homers chant for Colt after some bad games from the rook and I don't want fans to cry over spilled milk (Colt never got a fair chance etc)...I just think if we upgrade on Colt through the draft, he must go...clear cut

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Ryan Tannehill

Link Copied to Clipboard