Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
OverToad #651699 01/27/12 07:19 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Matt was the only one criticizing Coples. Everyone else said he dominated all week long.

DeepThreat #651700 01/27/12 07:26 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Great. Thanks. Confuse me more, why don't you!

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
OverToad #651701 01/27/12 08:44 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I mention this at the risk of getting Django fired up again (sorry for the dig Dj) but with all the Senior Bowl reports I have read, (if we do not get our Qb prior to) I would absolutely take Weeden with our 2nd round pick if he is there. It also looks like the guy I was targeting at #22 (Ingram) will be gone by then so I would give serious consideration about taking Weeden there.

No I don't take him at #4, yes I do take him ahead of Tannehill that isn't even a discussion as far as I am concerned (I felt that way well before the senior bowl).

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #651702 01/27/12 10:14 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
DjangoBrown #651703 01/27/12 10:31 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Aww crap! I knew that post was a mistake

I have been high on Weeden for a while now (admittedly not as high as Dj). Admittedly his age is a concern he will be what 29 when the season starts? But (if I did my math right) Colt McCoy (dob 9/5/86) turns 26 September 5. That is only a three year difference.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
DeepThreat #651704 01/28/12 10:04 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What time is the game on today ?

waterdawg #651705 01/28/12 10:49 AM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

What time is the game on today ?

4pm, NFL Network.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
BatDawg #651706 01/28/12 10:53 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thank you ,,,, nothing in PD sports today about the game ..

BatDawg #651707 01/28/12 06:12 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Looking forward to some reports.

Brownoholic #651708 01/29/12 02:15 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
From what I was able to glance and see of Nick Foles, he did pretty darn well. Better than the other QBs in the game.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=320283144

I know, ESPN, but it's the only place I found the box score without spending too much time on it.

Brownoholic #651709 01/29/12 07:59 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

#gmstrong

DjangoBrown #651710 01/29/12 09:36 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

SI: Risers and sliders from Senior Bowl

The scouts and coaches left Mobile, Ala., on Thursday. The fans and campers headed home Saturday night after the North dominated the South 23-13 in the 2012 Senior Bowl. Several of the prospects we mentioned during the practices stood out during the contest, while a few who were quiet during the week also had nice performances. Here are the risers and sliders from the annual showcase for senior NFL prospects.

Risers
Isaiah Pead/RB/Cincinnati: At the start of Wednesday's practice it was mentioned how good Pead looked returning punts during special teams drills. Pead translated those skills from the practice field onto the game field and was named MVP of the Senior Bowl. Pead returned two punts for 60 and 38 yards, for an average of 49 yards. Pead looked like a veteran bringing the punts back, as he did a terrific job setting up his returns on both occasions. On offense he also had several nice runs, bursting through the open lanes and making defenders miss in the open field. Pead's solid week of practice coupled with the special teams skill showed during the game undoubtedly boosted his draft stock.

Kirk Cousins/QB/Michigan State: Cousins completed 5 of 11 passes for 115 yards, yet the stats tell a fraction of the story. Cousins made all the NFL throws from the pocket, displaying great speed on the ball while also putting touch on passes when required. His timing and accuracy was right on the mark as Cousins always gave his targets a good opportunity to make the reception. When he did miss on throws more times than not it was due to receiver error. It was important for Cousins to have a good game, as scouts questioned his judgment under center. At the Senior Bowl, decision-making was right on the money.

Mike Adams/T/Ohio State: During the week the consensus of scouts was the South squad had the best defensive ends of either roster. Adams was able to shut them down all game. On several occasions he stopped pass-rushing terrors Courtney Upshaw and Melvin Ingram dead in their tracks. Upshaw eventually sacked the passer, though the fault was not placed on Adams shoulders. His ability to stop quick, explosive pass-rushers in the game will give scouts even more to think about when they decide where in Round 1 one the talented tackle should be selected.

Alameda Ta'amu/DT/Washington: If scouts were hoping to be wowed by Ta'amu, all they need to due is watch the Senior Bowl game film. The big defensive tackle was dominant every time he lined up and was a constant nuisance for opponents. He collapsed the pocket on several occasions, overpowering opponents to make plays behind the line of scrimmage or force the action. His quarterback pressure at the end of the first half ended what looked to be a potential scoring drive for the South. In the second half the South was forced to double team Ta'amu in the attempt to slow him down.

Quinton Coples/DL/North Carolina: Coples flashed brilliance during the game, looking like a man among boys at times. His athleticism is incredible, as Coples beat opponents with quickness, speed and power. On several occasions he had Kelechi Osemele flailing in an attempt to slow him down. When he could not get to the quarterback, Coples got his long arms up to swat away passes. When he's on his game Coples is a difference-maker up front. The problem for scouts is determining how often Coples is willing to play at his highest level.

Mitchell Schwartz/T/California: Schwartz was the only offensive tackle to consistently shut down Coples during the game. He used great fundamentals and football smarts to keep the dominant defensive lineman at bay whenever they faced off. That's something scouts will take into consideration when they give Schwartz a final draft grade.

Vinny Curry/DE/Marshall: Curry continues to impress scouts with his ability to get penetration across the line of scrimmage. He was constantly in the backfield and his quarterback pressures in the first quarter caused a lot of problems for the South. On one occasion Curry bull rushed the much larger Zebrie Sanders into the pocket which resulted in a loss of yardage. Curry has significantly improved his draft stock this week and a good combine workout could secure him a spot in the late part of Round 1.

Doug Martin/RB/Boise State: Martin had several nice runs during the game, but its the little things he did well that made him stand out. In the first quarter Martin did a terrific job picking up pass protection assignments and knocked Melvin Ingram from the action on one occasion. Later in the half his downfield block allowed Arizona State receiver Gerrell Robinson to waltz into the end zone. Even before the game scouts stamped Martin as an early second-round choice.

Nigel Bradham/OLB/Florida State: Bradham was fast and athletic all game long, running down opponents from all directions of the field. He was terrific in pursuit and Bradham made several outstanding plays in open space. Bradham showed skill in pass defense and was on top of his game covering tight ends and running backs.

Sliders
Russell Wilson/QB/Wisconsin: Wilson was terrific when he lined up in the shotgun and was able to move outside the pocket and throw on the move. When he was asked to play in an NFL style offense it was a completely different story. From the pocket Wilson sprayed his passes around the field and missed an easy scoring opportunity early in the game when his throw was wide of the mark. He showed little in the way of pocket presence or the ability to sense the rush. Wilson is a tremendous athlete, but he needs a lot of work before he'll be an NFL-ready passer.

Donnie Fletcher/CB/Boston College: Fletcher was picked on most of the night and was constantly chasing receivers around the field. Opponents were getting behind Fletcher and he was giving up easy passes in underneath coverage. He also missed a big tackle on a screen pass which resulted in a long gain for the south.

Zebrie Sanders/T/Florida State: Sanders' tough week of practice continued through the game. He was constantly off balance, rarely moved opponents off the ball run blocking and was pushed back into the pocket on several occasions. Sanders also displayed poor footwork in pass protection and little ability to slide out and protect the edge.

web page

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #651711 01/29/12 10:25 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I liked Curry, Martin and Schwartz before this week, but they have made my wish list now

I would select Curry as early as 22, he'd be great value at 37....but I suspect, like Sheard, who he reminds me of, that some teams low 1st/high 2nd would pick him (this draft isn't nearly as deep in talent overall and especially on the DL...last year was special with DL talent...Sheard is a 1st rounder in most other drafts)...Curry had 7 (!!) forced fumbles this past CFB season and 3 blocked kicks, guy's a freak...all out effort guy...my dream scenario is to sign FA Mathis and still pick Curry and then rotate those 3 DEs NYG style

Martin in the 3rd and Schwartz in the 4th

Imagine this Offense-heavy draft:

1a QB RG 3
1b WR K.Wright
2 DE Curry
3 RB Martin
4a RT Schwartz
4b CB 1 of Fleming/Judie/Prater/Fletcher
5 OLB Trevathan

#gmstrong

DjangoBrown #651712 01/29/12 11:48 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Man , I could live with that draft !

DjangoBrown #651713 01/29/12 12:09 PM
Legend
Legend
U think Trevathan will last til' the 5th.. I know he is undersized.. but there aren't a ton of options at OLB, and both he and Spence will probably be gone by then.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
DjangoBrown #651714 01/29/12 12:15 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Mike Adams probably pushed himself into the top15. I could see him going to the Bills or Cards.

Those that like Coples will still like Coples those that think he only beats flat footed tackles will still see a guy that only beats flat footed tackles.

Zach Brown will be a top 10 grade to teams that give major points to the athlete and he will be a 4th round grade to teams that go on pure football evaluation.

Pead looked good as a returner and showed some surprising power but I see a 3rd down back.

Creer looked more like an NFL running back than any back at the senior bowl. He was the guy i thought would wow at the east west game and he did and he made himself a lot of money at the senior bowl week.

Polk looked intimidated. I really saw nothing to make me want him until maybe the 5th.

Everyone was saying Ta'amu was a 4th rounder when I had him in the first. He sure looked like a first rounder this week.

Swartz was terrific and the most consistent tackle. I would say Swartz and Cordy Glenn are very high on our radar. I could see us taking Glenn at 22.

I really didnt like what I saw from any of the QBs yesterday but Weeden and Foles looked the best through the week. Foles is great when he sets his feet but he simple doesnt set his feet far to often. Weeden looks the part but again he was throwing off his back foot and floating passes.

After this weeks senior bowl, I would say the biggest winner is Claiborne. I think the top guys really shot themselves in the foot at the corner position. Jenkins never saw a double move, he didnt fall for. Dennard was awful in every way. Boykin and Bentley helped themselves.

Joe Adams made a lot of money this week. Damn he was looked good. Still a bit raw but big play potential and a big game yesterday even with the fumble.

Mourgrym #651715 01/29/12 12:31 PM
N
All Pro
All Pro
N
Can anyone let me know how Quick did at WR?

Also, any idea what round he is being projected to go in and possibly if the Browns might be interested in him if the round is right?

Thanks ahead of time,

Empty

Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
ncdawg #651716 01/29/12 12:52 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He struggled in day 1 but improved throughout the week. Did ok yesterday, I would say he is a 3rd rounder. Good 40 time could really elevate his stock.

DjangoBrown #651717 01/29/12 02:20 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I liked Curry, Martin and Schwartz before this week, but they have made my wish list now

I would select Curry as early as 22, he'd be great value at 37....but I suspect, like Sheard, who he reminds me of, that some teams low 1st/high 2nd would pick him (this draft isn't nearly as deep in talent overall and especially on the DL...last year was special with DL talent...Sheard is a 1st rounder in most other drafts)...Curry had 7 (!!) forced fumbles this past CFB season and 3 blocked kicks, guy's a freak...all out effort guy...my dream scenario is to sign FA Mathis and still pick Curry and then rotate those 3 DEs NYG style

Martin in the 3rd and Schwartz in the 4th

Imagine this Offense-heavy draft:

1a QB RG 3
1b WR K.Wright
2 DE Curry
3 RB Martin
4a RT Schwartz
4b CB 1 of Fleming/Judie/Prater/Fletcher
5 OLB Trevathan

I would be absolutely ecstatic with that draft.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DjangoBrown #651718 01/29/12 02:21 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

1a QB RG 3
1b WR K.Wright

Just say no to 3 consecutive first round picks from Baylor.

anarchy2day #651719 01/29/12 02:24 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

1a QB RG 3
1b WR K.Wright

I'd say yes.

I think it's very likely that we will strongly consider RG3 at 4 (or higher) given that we have a direct pipeline to the Baylor coaching staff through Jordan Norwood's father who is a coach at Baylor, and who we reportedly checked with regarding Taylor last year. (IIRC, he's their secondary coach)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Mourgrym #651720 01/29/12 02:26 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2012 Senior Bowl: Players That May Have Impressed The Bengals

by Jack Cassidy on Jan 29, 2012 12:31 PM EST

The 2012 Senior Bowl was played yesterday in Mobile, AL with the North defeating the South 23-13. The MVP of the game was University of Cincinnati running back Isaiah Pead, who finished the game with 31 yards rushing and a punt return average of 49 yards. The game itself was a showcase of the best Senior talent college football has to offer, and included star quarterbacks such as Wisconsin's Russel Wilson and Boise State's Kellen Moore along with North Carolina defensive lineman Quinton Coples. Heading into the 2012 NFL Draft, the Senior Bowl is a vital scouting tool for many NFL teams and a crucial opportunity for many prospects to improve their draft stock.

Winners

Quinton Coples: The North Carolina defensive lineman was the clear and unanimous winner of the Senior Bowl. Coples, who was already projected as a top ten pick in Todd McShay's latest mock draft, solidified his draft stock. Tony Pauline of Sports Illustrated said the following of Coples performance:

"Coples flashed brilliance during the game, looking like a man among boys at times. His athleticism is incredible, as Coples beat opponents with quickness, speed and power...When he's on his game Coples is a difference-maker up front".

Joe Adams: The receiver out of Arkansas, most known for his incredible TD return this past season against Tennessee, had a big day catching 8 passes for 133 yards. Adams, previously projected by most as a 4th round pick, may have significantly improved his draft stock as a strong kick return game has recently proved invaluable (see Patrick Peterson; Devin Hester).

Other winners include...

North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins

CIncinnati RB Isaiah Pead (MVP)

Alabama DL Courtney Upshaw

Losers

Russell Wilson: The star quarterback from Wisconsin had a rough showing, most likely depreciating his draft stock. He lacked poise and accuracy when faced with playing in an NFL style offense, and while he did throw for a TD, he also had two fumbles and an interception. On the topic, Tony Pauline said the following:

From the pocket Wilson sprayed his passes around the field and missed an easy scoring opportunity early in the game when his throw was wide of the mark. He showed little in the way of pocket presence or the ability to sense the rush. Wilson is a tremendous athlete, but he needs a lot of work before he'll be an NFL-ready passer.

Other losers...

Boise State QB Kellen Moore

Texas A&M WR Jeff Fuller

[Linked Image]

anarchy2day #651721 01/29/12 02:33 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

1a QB RG 3
1b WR K.Wright

Baylor had the 2nd best Offense in College football, 4th passing and 2nd in yds/PA (actually 1st as 1st place was GTech, who throw deep off of running all the time)...so much for that "argument"

@Mourg

Good, as I want no part of Mike Adams....he's to OT what Coples is to DE....both should have been MUCH better but weren't...I don't like picking underachievers in the 1st round

@whoever asked about WR Quick

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/39758/60/nfl-draft-preview?pg=2

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends

During the aforementioned conversation, the same NFC scout asked the general question, “Do you know who has let me down the most?” I responded with Appalachian State WR Brian Quick (6-4/222), and apparently it was the correct answer. “Man I gave that guy a good grade and he has not shown up." Quick's routes looked smoother as the week progressed, but his hands were a major issue, failing to secure more than half of the passes thrown in his direction, even when open. Quick didn't use his size as an asset. He didn't shield cornerbacks or use his long arms to stretch out.

Even as raw as he is, it's reasonable to wonder if Quick regressed a bit this week. “He’s a good kid and I was afraid this might happen much later," the scout said. "Like when he gets to a training camp. He is very self-aware, down to earth, and understands his limitations. So let's say he winds up with the Packers and walks in that first day and is in awe of Charles Woodson. That could affect his play until he gets comfortable. But it shouldn’t be happening here.”

Quick is an extraordinary young man and was one of the few players willing to interview for two full hours at a media-only event. He was one of the first to arrive each day and always the last to leave, jogging to catch the bus. I think Quick has a bright future, but he picked a tough week to struggle.

#gmstrong

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I'd say yes.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Quote:

I think it's very likely that we will strongly consider RG3 at 4 (or higher) given that we have a direct pipeline to the Baylor coaching staff through Jordan Norwood's father who is a coach at Baylor, and who we reportedly checked with regarding Taylor last year. (IIRC, he's their secondary coach)

I don't think it's likely at all. I know that Holmgren has said that he likes to bring in a QB every year, but I don' think that RG3 is that QB. Doesn't fit the system that they want. I also don't care that Shurmur said, 'Good players fit into any system.' He's not the one that will make the decision who gets drafted.

I suspect that he'll be asked for input as to what he wants, but he won't get to make the decision on who that will be.

For example, he may say that he'd like a QB, WR and RB and a OLB, DE and so on. He won't be determining who get selected where or whether those positions are filled or not. That will be Heckert and the scouting team that grade them who will be making those decisions.

And, frankly, I don't think that RG3 is anywhere on the Browns FO radar except as possible trade to another team who may want him.

DjangoBrown #651723 01/29/12 02:58 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Baylor had the 2nd best Offense in College football, 4th passing and 2nd in yds/PA (actually 1st as 1st place was GTech, who throw deep off of running all the time)...so much for that "argument"

Blah...blah...blah. Are they playing the college game at the NFL?

anarchy2day #651724 01/29/12 03:08 PM
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

Quote:

I think the point he is trying to make is that it is POSSIBLE that Baylor could have more than one offensive player worthy of a first-round selection due the level of success they enjoyed in college.

anarchy2day #651725 01/29/12 03:08 PM
Legend
Legend
Actually, RG3 would make a very fine WCO QB. I think that he can play any system, for that matter.

Last year, as the season went on, they started putting McCoy more and more into the shotgun to help him out. I see no reason that they couldn't do the same for a rookie QB as he becomes more comfortable under Center.

It's not rocket science ...... and even if it was .... RG3 might be smart enough to be a rocket scientist.

anarchy2day #651726 01/29/12 03:43 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

There is literally no logic behind your argument here. As long as a player played at a high level of competition (Division I), I do not care at all where he played. It is completely irrelevant.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Actually, RG3 would make a very fine WCO QB. I think that he can play any system, for that matter.

Last year, as the season went on, they started putting McCoy more and more into the shotgun to help him out. I see no reason that they couldn't do the same for a rookie QB as he becomes more comfortable under Center.

It's not rocket science ...... and even if it was .... RG3 might be smart enough to be a rocket scientist.

IF this ends up this way we MUST go get Griffin...DO NOT wait for him to come to you...Not a QB...Go get em'...

There is a belief the Browns will look to trade down slightly in the draft to secure an additional early draft pick. The speculation basis comes from a perspective which the Browns will not have an opportunity to select either of the two top-rated QB’s, Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III.

Early indications are the Browns have the following players within the top of their preliminary draft board:

- QB Andrew Luck
- QB Robert Griffin III
- CB Morris Claiborne
- OT Matt Kalil
- RB Trent Richardson

Scout.com

Go Browns!!!
DeepThreat #651728 01/29/12 04:38 PM
Legend
Legend
Two questions Ytown., One for you and one for anyone.

1. For you, how upset will you be if we stick with Colt another year.

2. for anyone, how important is the senior bowl in the overall scheme of things?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #651729 01/29/12 04:43 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
From what Mike Mayock has said the Senior Bowl (and Combine) are this... A place where you can confirm what scouts/front office types saw on tape. A place where you can stand out and make the scouts/front office types go back and look at more tape. A place where you can do bad and scouts/front office types go back and look at more tape.

Damanshot #651730 01/29/12 04:44 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The game generally doesnt mean much. The practices mean a great deal. It is another piece of the puzzle.

Damanshot #651731 01/29/12 04:53 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Two questions Ytown., One for you and one for anyone.

1. For you, how upset will you be if we stick with Colt another year.

2. for anyone, how important is the senior bowl in the overall scheme of things?

If we stay with McCoy, I think that we will be in for another season heading to the top of the draft. I don't have a huge problem with that if we absolutely cannot get one of the 2 QBs at the top of this draft. It will mean another year of pain ..... and a year towards the inevitable calls for replacement of the regime ....... but it's better than drafting another heavily flawed QB in the middle rounds.

cfrs15 #651732 01/29/12 07:53 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

From what Mike Mayock has said the Senior Bowl (and Combine) are this... A place where you can confirm what scouts/front office types saw on tape. A place where you can stand out and make the scouts/front office types go back and look at more tape. A place where you can do bad and scouts/front office types go back and look at more tape.

I think this is a great answer... I think the senior bowl itself as others have said don't mean much but ti gives scouts a chance to see guys work out for a week and see if they can pick up things quickly. I don't think anyone's stock rises or falls too much through just the all-star games.

That's the way I've always felt about the combine as well..... I think at the combine you get some of the details about raw talent but doesn't make anyone rise or fall too much....

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #651733 01/29/12 08:48 PM
Legend
Legend
replying to you but responding to all

So, basically, the game doesn't mean much and the practice and maybe the interviews will sway a team enough to get them to review tape..

Ok,, that, to me, makes it important.

thanks to all

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #651734 01/29/12 08:53 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

replying to you but responding to all

So, basically, the game doesn't mean much and the practice and maybe the interviews will sway a team enough to get them to review tape..

Ok,, that, to me, makes it important.

thanks to all

I'd say that's an accurate assessment.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I know I'm a bit behind on this, so sorry if it's annoying, but I finally got around to watching the last DVR'd NFLN practice broadcast yesterday. I forgotto record the game, though! Here is the list of guys who impressed me and guys who disappointed me:

North: Impressive

Adams, Mike OT Ohio State-- he really brought his A-game this week. For getting knocked pretty hard on this board leading up to the week, he really dominated at every opportunity.

Ta'amu, Alameda DT Washington-- Speaking of dominated, Ta'amu suprised me quite a bit. Washington's run defense was completely atrocious int he game against Baylor (gave up 482 yards on the ground!) so I had pretty much written him off. He didn't look particularly good in the one-on-ones, but when they lined up in teams in practice he was pushing the linemen all over the place on every play. He was terrific.

Reyes, Kendall DT Connecticut-- Here's another one of my top-5 guys from the week. Over and over he just trashed whatever OG he went up against. I think he would make a terrific selection to rotate in as a 3rd-down rush DT for us. CBS has him rated as an end-of-the 3rd prospect, but i wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the top 50. He dominated "the pit."

Johnson, Cam DE Virginia-- Here's one of my top-5 performers for the week. He really seemed like a natural pass rusher out there. CBS has him rated as a third rounder and I like him... probably moreso than Curry. He was playing like he knew what he was doing. Seemed like a veteran.

Osemele, Kelechi OG Iowa State-- I really, really liked him as an OG. He was strong, he beat up the DTs in 1-on-1s, and he's huge.

Norman, Josh CB Coastal Carolina-- He seems like a good player. I saw him in the E/W Shrine game and he played pretty well, he did pretty decent in the one-on-ones at the senior bowl practices as well. Could be a decent 2nd or 3rd round selection IMO.

Curry, Vinny DE Marshall-- he did well, I thought, but didn't seem like a first round pick to me. I would be happy with him in the second or third, but it's sounding like he won't be available there. My opinion hasn't changed much since the two games I watched him play this year. Plays hard, pretty good athleticism, but needs to improve his awareness. I see people comparing him to Sheard, but I would be shocked if he had the same sort of impact as a rookie. If we're drafting a DE at 22, I'd prefer Mercilus... led the nation in sacks and forced fumbles (9).

Jones, Marvin WR California-- I thought Jones was pretty impressive, especially early in the week. Faster than he looks like he would be, he was winning his one-on-ones often.

McNutt, Marvin WR Iowa-- He's basically the same size as Greg Little, but seems much more comfortable as a receiver. And it sounds kind of weird to say, but he seems shaped better to play WR. He's a tough guy and if he's there in the 4th and we haven't taken a SE yet, we should defintiely take him.

Posey, DeVier WR Ohio State-- The guy gets open. He did it here in practice, too.

Davis, Demario LB Arkansas State-- Shocker, I haven't seen any Arkansas State games, so I had no idea who he was. He was really athletic, though, and should be considerably cheaper than Zach Brown.

Pead, Isaiah RB Cincinnati-- I liked him, he was quick to attack in the team portions of practice.

Graham, T.J. WR NC State-- I thought he was really shifty and separated well in the one-on-one drills with the DBs. CBS Sportsline has him rated as the #296 overall player. I think he would be a terrific choice with one of our compensatory selections (assuming the 2 6s & 2 7s rumors are true.)

Iloka, George DB Boise State-- I liked his size/athleticism combo, but if he really is a third round and second-best FS prospect, then I think that takes us out of the running for him.

Zeitler, Kevin OG Wisconsin-- Solid guard. One of the few OL worth drafting that I saw, but didn't seem as dominating to me as some of the reports that I read.

South: Impressive

Glenn, Cordy OG Georgia-- After Mike Adams, Glenn was probably the most impressive OL to me during the week. He was shutting down Ingram in one-on-ones. Definitely moved like a guard, however. Maybe he could improve his footwork with some NFL coaching and play OT, but he could dominate as an OG I think.

Upshaw, Courtney DL Alabama-- Upshaw was really impressive working at DE I thought. #4 would be way too early and #22 will probably be about 8 picks too late for us to get him, though. He's a good player, but I think we can get better value at DE in other ways.

Jenkins, Janoris DB North Alabama-- He is clearly very talented but wasn't as fast in long speed as I thought he'd be. He made a comment during his press conference that he'd "love to play with Joe Haden again." I don't think he'd stay with Mike Wallace or Torrey Smith in a go route, but he can sit in a receiver's pocket in the 1-6 short/mid-routes.

Brown, Zach LB North Carolina-- Showed up much better during the week than the two UNC games I watched this season. Not enough for me to want to draft him, but he is talented.

Boykin, Brandon DB Georgia-- One of my favorite DBs at the Senior Bowl this year. He looked quick and competitive in coverage. I didn't get to see the game, though, so I didn't get to see him tackle. He covered tough but I don't know if he's too small to tackle consistently.

Criner, Juron WR Arizona-- Seemed really focused. Was out there with a chip on his shoulder. This is looking like a great draft for mid-round wideouts. He was super locked-in and made a terrific one-handed catch away from his body on a comeback route that had the DB shaking his head.

Ingram, Melvin DE/OLB South Carolina-- He's kind of a mystery to me. He was very all-or-nothing all week. He'd either shoot right by his blocker, even winning on a bull rush a couple of times, or he'd get completely shut down. He ran right through/over the UAB tackle but looked like a child being held at arm's length by Glenn.

Adams, Joe WR Arkansas-- Quick and fast, he was able to get open and get the ball. A strong showing in the game only helps him. Hopefully, he pushed some distance between him and Jairus Wright. I'd like to get Wright with one of our two 4ths if possible.

Allen, Jeff OL Illinois-- I thought he was extremely impressive in both the pit and the team drills. Mayock, Davis, and Burmeister didn't talk about him at all in either practice broadcast, but he really stood out to me. Man, a lot of good guard prospects in this draft. I only saw him line up at OG, but CBS lists him as an OT prospect for the 5-6 round. He looked really comfortable at LG, though. I would have liked to see if he can play OT. If he's there in the 5th or 6th, I'd definitely consider pulling the trigger on him.

Howard, Jaye DT Florida-- Very consistently won his one-on-one matchups. CBS has him as a 6th-7th round propect and would be a steal there as part of a DT rotation. He goes 6'3" 292 and rushed very well.

Allen, Antonio DB South Carolina-- He was just all over the place. Really looked good in coverage and wasn't afraid to mix it up. He's listed on CBS as a 3rd-round SS, but he looked to me to be a good candidate to play the FS spot. I'd definitely consider him with our 3rd round pick.

Rainey, Chris RB/WR Florida-- Ho. Lee. Smokes. He is fast. Not just fast, but faaaast. He got on top of and past his defender so quickly. I had to rewind it just to show my wife.

Jones, Dwight WR North Carolina-- I was really interested to see him play after all the hype I've seen on this board about him. He is big, and he ran away from his defender on a skinny post pretty well, but he didn't really have good burst off the line. He seems like a decent prospect, but I wouldn't draft him in the second round like I've been seeing. But then, Greg Little got drafted in the second round, so there's that.

Blake, Philip C/OG Baylor-- probably played the best center of any of the prospects that were at the senior bowl. That kind of suprised me, since Griffin spent his entire season on the run. He must have had something to do with Baylor's almost 500 yards v. Washington keeping Ta'amu in check.

b]Green, Ladarius TE Louisiana-Lafayette-- He was getting open pretty easliy and catching passes well. It generated a lot of noise and will probably end up getting him drafted earlier than he should be. Well, that and the impact that Gronkowski and Hernandez made in NE.

Jackson, Malik DL Tennessee-- He was impressive on Wednesday. Was quick and disengaged from the block in pass rush drills.

Jones, Ben OL Georgia-- He had his ups and downs but played some decent C at times. Played well enough to stand out.

[Robinson, Keenan LB Texas-- He was pretty active and made himself noticed. I usually am not impressed by LBs a whole lot at the senior bowl. The combine usually makes them stick out to me more.

North: Disappointing

Bergstrom, Tony OL Utah-- After reading early reviews of the SB practices, I was expecting a lot out of him. I wasn't impressed. He was not particularly effective at OG or OT (at least from the coverage shown on NFLN.)

Brewster, Mike OL Ohio State-- Couldn't anchor at all. Looked really bad.

Johnson, James-Michael LB Nevada-- He's only here because I expected a lot out of him. He was all over the place in the 2010 season making plays left and right, but just looked like another one of the guys in the MTW practices. I still think anywhere from the 5th on he's worth the investment, though, base don how I've seen him perform in games. Like I said before, LBs typically don't stand out to me during the senior bowl practices.

Johnson, Leonard DB Iowa State-- I thought he'd look really tough and effective after giving Justin Blackmon the matchup of his life this year. He really didn't play very well on Monday and I didn't even notice him Wednesday. I think he lost some stock this week

Martin, Mike DL Michigan-- He was beating up Brewster all week, but seems like he's so focused on his matchup that he has no idea where the ball is. There's probably a scheme that calls for that, but for our team we need as many people trying to tackle as we can get.

Osemele, Kelechi OT Iowa State-- Yes, he's listed as both impressive and unimpressive here. As good as he looked at OG, I thought he looked just as bad at OT. That's disappointing to me, because he might be there when we pick in the third.

Quick, Brian WR Appalachian State-- I did not see what all the fuss was about with this guy. Looked like Brandon Rideau out there. Just a big guy who you expect will be impressive and then the week's over and you think "was he even really out there?"

South: Disappointing

Bentley, Dwight DB Louisiana-Lafayette-- Got a lot of praise this week, but for every good play he made he committed three penalties. I just wonder if he loses a lot of his edge when the refs start throwing their terri... er, flags.

Brown, James OL Troy-- Beaten over and over at G and T. Sure, there were a lot of good DL on the south squad, but there were a lot of bad OL, too.

Coples, Quinton DL North Carolina-- He got a lot of praise this week, but I just didn't see it. He looked OK holding his spot, but couldn't rush the passer at all. On Tuesday's broadcast, they started it with Mayock saying he heard Coples was unblockable the day before, so I was excited to see that, but he didn't do anything in drills. I read above that he played very well in the game, so that's good, but he was not showing it in practice... especially for a guy expected to go top ten. The guys saying he's strictly a 3-4 end, I have to agree with you.

Fuller, Jeff WR Texas A&M-- Played like crap in practices.

Hayward, Casey DB Vanderbilt-- I was excited to see him, but he was chasing all week. I remembered seeing some first-round buzz earlier this year, but now wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a day 3 pick. Just could not keep up.

Jerod-Eddie, Tony DL Texas A&M-- He looked awful every time the camera showed him. Hard to even understand why he was there.

McCants, Matt OL UAB-- Beaten frequently, it's hard for me to imagine he'll ever be anything but a backup in the NFL.

Sanders, Zebrie OL Florida State-- I was expecting him to be the top OT on the South squad. I thought Glenn clearly outplayed him, even at OT. If he gets drafted in the second round, I think someone overdrafted him

Vlachos, William OL Alabama-- Had his ups and downs. He looked OK on one matchup then would get beaten back on the next. Maybe out of shape? Why would you be out of shape?

Mourgrym #651736 01/29/12 10:56 PM
J
Rookie
Rookie
J
Quote:

Jenkins never saw a double move, he didnt fall for.

told ya he was terrible

DeepThreat #651737 01/29/12 11:14 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

There is literally no logic behind your argument here. As long as a player played at a high level of competition (Division I), I do not care at all where he played. It is completely irrelevant.

It is irrelevant for one player, so there you have a point, (Jerry Rice played somewhere nobody heard of) but over time it is Completely relevant.

Because you are trying to pick the best players in the world, and those players should have been the best coming out of high school, ( not each one but collectively it works out that way) and coming out of HS the best are recruited by the big football schools.
It's like you can get a great lawyer or future president who went to " Yale " or " Baldwin Wallace" its completly irrelevant, Ya, but not Ya!

See if it were completly irrelevant, as long as their division, 1, sure , for the next 3 years what if you can only pick players from 3 schools, and let me pick from 3 other shools.
You take, Baylor, Indiana, and oh, I don't know who's a non football school, Dulke! and I'll only pick players from, LSU, Arkansas, and Alabama.

It's somewhat relevant, over time, and I think its completley important to wonder why did this player end up at this school, because if he's one of the top players at his position, he would have gone to where the top players at his position were going when he was coming out of High school. And Maybe the perception of the school has changed over the last 4 years, sometimes 2 years.

It's entirely why I hated Aaron Rogers, because he went to Butte Junior college for part of his time, and i'm thinking Why, why would anyone go to Butte, if he can play top level college football?
Sure you can get a Ben Roethlisburger out of Miami of Oh, but if you take a dozen players out of Miami of Oh, or Toledo, your going to be out of the picture by thanksgiving every year.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I think the point he is trying to make is that it is POSSIBLE that Baylor could have more than one offensive player worthy of a first-round selection due the level of success they enjoyed in college.

And my point is that I don't think that's proper thinking. I don't think RG3 is an NFL caliber QB. In terms of the NFL he's nothing but another Michael Vick ... only smaller.

On top of that, I don't think Kendall Wright is all that and a bag of chips. I wouldn't take either one in the first round and the only one I would consider is Wright, but not in the first round. He might get serious consideration from the Browns because they're essentially inept at the WR position, but if Blackmon is there at #4 (which is quite possible), I think the Browns take him over RG3 and I don't think they take a WR at #22 if they get Blackmon at the #4 spot.

You folks need to put down the Mel Kiper crack pipe and think for yourselves.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Senior Bowl

Link Copied to Clipboard