Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Go see this movie. The ending could use a little work but it's a very good film. The characters each get times to shine. Joss Whedon did a phenomenal job with a film I thought wouldn't work.

You'll laugh, cheer, and maybe cry during this film.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
I'll go once the crowds thin out a little.

I have to get up frequently if I am sitting, and bend, stretch, etc. Can't do that in a packed theater.

I may have to wait for weeks before I can go see it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
yeah - i really want to see it but no way I'll go this weekend... I'll wait until maybe next week or the week after and go see a matinee on a friday

<><

#gmstrong
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
just found this looking for something else in the news.
Pretty Cool & I know some of you guys will say "OH Man I wish..."

Just watched the trailers & I can't tell which one is DAD??

http://www.activedayton.com/movies-showt...et-1369273.html

All Pro
All Pro
j/c.anyone get to see it today??

"Its too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
Saw it....LOVED it!!! I would pay to see it again.

Legend
Legend
Saw it today. Really. Really good.

IMO the only way it could have been better would have been them being able to get Ed Norton to play Hulk again, I thunk Ruffalo did a GREAT job, I just have a mancrush on Norton...

*Spoiler* > Hulk grabbing Loki and smashing him repeatedly on the floor was possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen... That and the random shot to Thor after they both got through beating up bad guys... So much subtle Hulk comedy in this movie made it great.. < *Spoiler*

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Man, did I LOVE this movie. Lived up to the hype, for sure. I also want to see it again. NOW. Unfortunately, I don't have the time. Blu Ray purchase for sure though.

I've seen a LOT of comic book flicks, but this one felt so much more ripped straight from the pages of a comic book. I was expecting all the great action, but it was the humor that surprised me. There were so many lines and scenes that had the whole theater rolling. I won't spoil anything.

Did anybody stick around til after the credits? I know there was an extra scene and what it showed, but had to split as soon as the movie ended. I'm going to search for it online . . .

Legend
Legend
Saw it last showing last night (er, and this morning, I guess). I have seen most of the movies from Stan Lee's stable; these were from myjunior high and high school days, so the echoes are loud and clear from my youth. I also did some comix collecting, trading, and selling until I sold it off . This movie puts the MARVEL in marvelous. Hard to spread enough action in for these heroes, and the humor is pretty good touches in several spots. Blu-ray fer shure. Get the big popcorn, it is a romp once it gets going.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
S
Legend
Legend
S
Going to see it in a few hours!

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Wow! Guess they're going to make their investment back ......

Something tells me we'll see a sequel .........

Box Office Shocker: 'Avengers' Opens to Record-Shattering $200.3 Million - The Hollywood Reporter
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bo...emsworth-320725

The Disney and Marvel Studios tentpole makes history in nabbing the biggest opening of all time in North America; globally "Avengers" has earned a massive $641.8 million in 12 days.

Joss Whedon's The Avengers has set a new bar in opening to a walloping $200.3 million at the domestic box office, the largest debut ever and kicking off summer 2012 in high style.

The 3D tentpole -- marking a major victory for Disney and Marvel Studios -- easily dethroned Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, which opened to $169.2 million last summer, then the largest number in history.

Avengers opened a week ago overseas, earning a whopping $441.5 million through Sunday. The pic's worldwide total of $641.8 million has already surpassed the lifetime totals of Captain America: The First Avenger ($364 million), Thor ($449 million), Iron Man ($585 million) and Iron Man 2 ($624 million).

The pic -- whiich assembles Marvel superhero characters Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Captain America (Chris Evans), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) -- earned a glowing A+ CinemaScore.

Avengers is now positioned to reach $1 billion in global grosses in a much-needed win for Disney, which posted a $200 million loss after John Carter cratered at the box office earlier this year. It's also a validation of Marvel's strategy to build a franchise by turning out single titles -- Iron Man, Thor and Captain America -- and then bring the characters together.

Avengers also could reboot The Hulk film franchise.

Among other records, Avengers is the first film in history to cross $200 million in only three days of play at the domestic box office. It also scored the biggest Saturday gross of all time in earning $69.7 million.

"It's been a fantastic weekend on every single front," Disney executive vice president of distribution Dave Hollis said.

Hollis said the slim 13 percent drop from Friday to Saturday reflects great word of mouth, as well as the fact that all segments of the audience are turning out, including families. Roughly 52 percent saw it in 3D.

The tentpole played evenly in terms of age, with 50 percent of the audience under the the age of 25 and 50 percent over. Couples made up 55 percent, families 24 percent and teens 21 percent. Males represented 60 percent of the audience.

IMAX theaters reported record business, generating north of $15 million in ticket sales domestically to tie with Deathly Hallows Part 2 for the biggest opening weekend in the circuit's history. IMAX expects to finish the weekend with a worldwide cume of $31.2 million.
Avengers is the first Marvel title marketed and distributed by Disney since buying Marvel.

Paramount distributed Marvel's previous films and, in exchange for ending its output deal early with Marvel, will receive a mininum of $115 million in distribution fees for Avengers and next summer's Iron Man 3.

Avengers was the only wide release of the weekend. At the specialty box office, Fox Searchlight looked to counterprogram with The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, which opened in 27 theaters in 12 markets. Marigold grossed $750,301 for a pleasing per location average of $27,789.

Fox Searchlight's Sheila DeLoach said the film -- which has already a stellar $72 million overseas -- succeeded in luring baby boomers, evidenced by sold out matinee and early evening shows. Marigold stars Judi Dench, Bill Nighy and Tom Wilkinson.
For full box office results, see below.

Domestic box office, April May 4-6 Look at the drop off from 1 to 2

Title/Weeks in release/Theater count, Studio/Three-day weekend total/Cume

1. The Avengers, 1/4,349, Disney/Marvel Studios, $200.3 million.

2. Think Like a Man, 3/2,011, Sony, $8 million, $73 million.

3. The Hunger Games, 7/2,794, Lionsgate, $5.7 million, $380.7 million.

4. The Lucky One, 3/3,005, Warner Bros., $5.5 million, $40 million.

5. The Pirates! Band of Misfits, 2/3,358, Sony/Aardman, $5.4 million, $18.6 million.

6. The Five-Year Engagement, Universal, 2/2,941, $5.1 million, $19.3 million.

7. The Raven, 2/2,209, Relativity/Intrepid, $2.5 million, $12 million.

8. Safe, 2/2,271, Lionsgate/IM Global, $2.5 million, $12.9 million

9. Chimpanzee, 3/1,531, Disney, $2.4 million, $23 million.

10. The Three Stooges, 4/2,174, $1.8 million, $39.6 million.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Take out the 3D surcharge and I don't think this sets a record. Still, it is a very good film.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
In fairness .. the economy sucks too.

I was amazed at the fact that the sales numbers dropped from $203 million to $8 million from 1st to 2nd places as much as anything. That's a Grand Canyon type drop there.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I loved it, aside from a few extra corny one liners from Downey Jr, it was awesome.

Loved Loki, and what they did with the Hulk was awesome.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I loved it as well. I don't remember one supervillain off the top of my head who played their role better than the actor who played Loki. I'll even include the Batman villains with that as well.

Well, maybe General Zod.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Take out the 3D surcharge and I don't think this sets a record. Still, it is a very good film.

That's why I don't understand why they go by dollars instead of tickets sold. That's like selling 30k tickets at Dallas Stadium and claiming they had better turn out than Cleveland who sold 60k tickets, because Jones charges 3x the price.

When I saw the original Star Wars it was $1.50 a ticket. Now tickets at my local theater are $10.00, of course records are going to be broken, and in the case of Star Wars it could be done with 1/5 the amount of ticket sales.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
S
Legend
Legend
S
I seriously wanna go see it again on the IMAX. We just went regular screen on Saturday.

N
Legend
Legend
N
there are plenty of sites that have "adjusted" ticket sales which account for just that.

there are also more people, more theaters, and a worldwide greater reach of movies, so they still will be smashing those old records.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I loved it as well. I don't remember one supervillain off the top of my head who played their role better than the actor who played Loki. I'll even include the Batman villains with that as well.

Well, maybe General Zod.

KNEEL befor Zod!!!

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

there are plenty of sites that have "adjusted" ticket sales which account for just that.

there are also more people, more theaters, and a worldwide greater reach of movies, so they still will be smashing those old records.

I know, but if you want true data you should use the primary statistic that matters, and that is butts in the seats (aka # of tickets sold), then it doesn't matter if they went to a $7.00 matinée (That seems even more ridiculous when you type it out) or $20.00 for a super duper 3d smell-o-vision extravaganza.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
N
Legend
Legend
N
j/c

I did see Avengers yesterday, and it was really good. I mean there is only so much plot development you can do in a film like this one where there are so many players to feature, but I thought they did a pretty good job enveloping that into the feature spots.

and the Hulk finally returned. I liked the Ed Norton reboot, but it still lacked the pure hilarity of the slapstick moments that Hulk is supposed to provide. it was great that they added that element back in.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I never saw the Hulk as a comedic figure.

I always saw him more as an unrestrained child, who refuses to be told no, and who really has no idea of his own strength. He isn't afraid to take on a bully (the military and police who try to capture him) but quickly loses interest in them after he either smashes them, or leaves.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I never saw the Hulk as a comedic figure.

I always saw him more as an unrestrained child, who refuses to be told no, and who really has no idea of his own strength. He isn't afraid to take on a bully (the military and police who try to capture him) but quickly loses interest in them after he either smashes them, or leaves.

I see both as true. His character was always taken as a purity of the "id" concept from Freud (which is the same idea that you noted - willing to do what he wants when he wants with no thought of repercussion). However, there are great moments (in the comics/cartoons, etc.) to use this idea to create comedic moments. It helps provide more of a dichotomy from the sullen brooding Bruce Banner.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I always saw Banner as the controlled adult ..... afraid of what he could do and become, yet oddly enough, more destructive (the "Gamma Bomb") than his alter ego could ever be. I think that Banner was afraid of quite a lot in the world, including himself.

The Hulk just did whatever he wanted. He didn't worry about consequences. In many ways, the Gamma Bomb was Banner's attempt to not have to worry about consequences. of course, then he had to deal with the consequences in a manner he never imagined.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Well, maybe General Zod.

KNEEL befor Zod!!!

As much as I love the Superman movie, I can't help but think of Mallrats when I hear that line, haha

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, maybe General Zod.

KNEEL befor Zod!!!

As much as I love the Superman movie, I can't help but think of Mallrats when I hear that line, haha

Come Son of Jor El....KNEEL Before Zod......snoochie boochies!!!

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Kinda mad, my girlfriend said there was an extra scene after the credits that teased Thanos as the next bad guy.

Man I can't wait. Too bad it's probably 2-3 years away.

Legend
Legend
There is also ANOTHER scene after the complete end of the credits...

I'm hoping Thanos is only in Thor 2. And they bring back Red skull for Avengers 2.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Thanos is too big for just a Thor movie. I'm guessing he's the Avengers 2 bad guy.

And I hear you on Red Skull. That guy needs more screen time . . .

All Pro
All Pro

All Pro
All Pro
heres his stats...
lol

Height:6'7"
Weight:985 lbs.
Eyes:Red
Hair:None
CitizenshipTitan
Place of Birth:Eternal colony, Titan (moon of Saturn)
First Appearance:Iron Man #55 (1973)

Heres the link

http://marvel.com/characters/bio/1009652/thanos

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Quote:

Weight:985 lbs.

Wow, he's really slimmed down. Last I saw he was over 1200 pounds ......

Guess dating death will take the weight off.

All Pro
All Pro
LMAO..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The infinity gauntlet is the best cross over story I've ever read. Have the complete series in original books and the reprinted booklet. Only thing that sucks is that the Fantastic Four was part of the half of the universe that died. But then again if Mr. Fantastic had been left alive he would have came up with an easy plan to defeat Thanos.

Legend
Legend
How long until Tony Stark calls him a Purple Monkey?

N
Legend
Legend
N
how could they do the infinite gauntlet story in 1 2hr movie?

i'd hope they would do it true justice and do one of those November Pt.1 and May Pt.2 releases like the last couple Harry Potter movies did.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
thts what I was hoping they would do with The Phoenix but..oh well

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

i'd hope they would do it true justice and do one of those November Pt.1 and May Pt.2 releases like the last couple Harry Potter movies did.

Never said that they were? I only brought it up because of Thanos. Infinity Gauntlet had tons of people in it. It was one of the biggest crossovers ever done. They would have to make it four movies and add tons of people and kill off a few Avengers too IIRC.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Never said that they were? I only brought it up because of Thanos. Infinity Gauntlet had tons of people in it. It was one of the biggest crossovers ever done. They would have to make it four movies and add tons of people and kill off a few Avengers too IIRC.

it's a logical conclusion to having Thanos there. they could do it over several movies with each of the characters being sent to the distant worlds, etc. as they do in the comics. seems a bridge that might be too far though for what they are doing. I am not sure if they want to go down that road.

I think they could re-work the story but they'd have to do it in 2 segments even then (and they can work the F-4 out of the story IMO)

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I thought it was more a cosmic cube type story?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... New "Avengers" Trailer

Link Copied to Clipboard