Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#682009 04/13/12 08:21 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Rams and Eagles among about four teams interested in trading up to No. 4 with Browns, sources say
Published: Friday, April 13, 2012, 6:59 PM Updated: Friday, April 13, 2012, 7:16 PM
Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND -- With less than two weeks before the NFL draft, multiple teams have called the Browns about their No. 4 pick, league sources told the Plain Dealer, and there's a decent chance the Browns will trade down.

At least three or four teams in the top 20 have expressed interest in trading up, and the Browns are expected to have some enticing options on draft day.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who has the No. 6 pick, has already identified the Browns as a potential trade partner, and the Eagles at No. 15 are believed to be interested in trading up, sources said. At least two other teams are in the mix.

And it's not just Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill that teams are after. There's been considerable interest in USC offensive tackle Matt Kalil, LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne and Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon.

The Rams and Eagles are attractive trade partners because both have two picks in the second round. The Rams have the 33rd overall pick and the 39th pick from their recent trade with Washington. The Eagles have the No. 46 pick in the second round and the No. 51st pick from their trade with Arizona last year for quarterback Kevin Kolb.

At the NFL Owners meetings last month, Fisher said he'd consider trading up with the Browns depending on what they wanted in return. He didn't specify which player he'd trade up for, but the Rams are believed to have interest in Blackmon. Fisher re-iterated Friday that he'll trade up, down or stay where he is.

The Eagles and Chiefs (No. 11) have both conducted private workouts with Tannehill, but the Chiefs "would probably not trade up'' a league source said. The Bills (No. 10) will also host Tannehill on Tuesday after he visits the Browns on Sunday and Monday.

The Eagles, who've already executed trades with their former general manager Tom Heckert, might be willing trade up, but nothing would happen until draft day, because the Vikings are also believed to be interested in trading down from No. 3. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Monday that the Vikings will pass on Kalil, and Vikings general manager Rick Spielman told Pro Football Weekly that he'd be open to dealing.

"There are times we have been in (the war room) and we've done deals on the clock," Spielman told the site. "It's an unknown, but you're prepared for both ways. We'll be ready and we'll have a good idea of what we think the value of that third pick is.''

The Dolphins at No. 8 and Seahawks at No. 12 also interested in Tannehill, but it's unknown if they'd be willing to move up.

Heckert said at the owners meetings that he had preliminary talks with several teams. He also said he'd be willing to trade down "a few spots'' but not all the way back to No. 27 like he did last year with Atlanta in the trade for receiver Julio Jones. (He then moved back up to No. 21 to select Phil Taylor).

Question is, would No. 15 be too far back? Maybe not. The Browns have hosted a number of players over the past two weeks that are projected to go in the teens, including Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd, Baylor receiver Kendall Wright and South Carolina cornerback Stephon Gilmore. If the Browns picked up two extra second-round picks, they'd have three in that round, including the No. 37 overall.
They could use one of those picks to trade back up from No. 22 and grab another elite player.

web page

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

Fisher re-iterated Friday that he'll trade up, down or stay where he is.

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Eagles have #46 and #51 in the second -- #4 for #15, #46, #51 works, and would be sick.

We have too many picks, so you could package #46/#51 to get back into the mid 1st:

15 - Quinton Coples
20 - Cordy Glenn
22 - Dre Kirkpatrick
37 - Alshon Jeffery
67 - Brock Osweiler
100 - Robert Turbin

Or something like that....

~Lyuokdea
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
We wouldnt trade back up, wouldnt need to.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

No doubt.

And as for the "team X called team Y about a potential trade" and what that means.....nothing. Every GM in the NFL should have already called every other team to see what they could get for their current pick OR how much to get their pick. It's called due diligence.

I'm holding out hope to drop a few spots to still get Claiborne, Richardson or Blackmon and get an additional 2nd rounder to boot. I know we have a ton of picks that will be hard to keep them all, but adding more top end picks will only increase our chances of hitting on them.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Eagles have #46 and #51 in the second -- #4 for #15, #46, #51 works, and would be sick.

We have too many picks, so you could package #46/#51 to get back into the mid 1st:

15 - Quinton Coples
20 - Cordy Glenn
22 - Dre Kirkpatrick
37 - Alshon Jeffery
67 - Brock Osweiler
100 - Robert Turbin

If you want to get real crazy..you trade down to 15(although they can sweeten the pot a little). I thought I heard Belichek might want to move up this year to the mid round..not sure of the value chart because I have to go but..and if you want to get really really crazy and the picks work out right you trade down to 6 first with the rams..

#15 to NE for 27 and 31?

Last edited by LOYALDAWG; 04/13/12 08:47 PM.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
No such thing as too many picks until there is zero chance that the guy you are about to select with one of them will make the 80 man training camp roster. Then, and only then, you can consider yourself as having too many picks.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
trade a few picks for future picks next year. 4th this year is a 3rd next.

Legend
Legend
I think we're definitely targeting Richardson and the only way we trade out of a position to take him is for a freakin' ransom.

Trading down to 6, there's still a good chance we take him (assuming TB loves Claiborne). But, we get down into the teens, he's gone. We'd still be able to pick some very good players, but maybe not those "big time impact" players that we need, especially on offense.

But, I don't think any of us should be surprised if we're really targeting Claiborne pretty hard, too.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Historically, New England stockpiles picks in the second round, normally by trading out of the first round. They feel that is where the best value for the players is.

Getting the Pats to give up those picks is not going to happen. I believe the reason for their 2 first round picks was Mark Ingram.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
With TB signing Vincent Jackson, I can't see them taking Blackmon so if I'm the Rams, I stay put at #6 unless I want Claiborne/Kalil. I think you have to call the Browns bluff of drafting Blackmon

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

With TB signing Vincent Jackson, I can't see them taking Blackmon so if I'm the Rams, I stay put at #6 unless I want Claiborne/Kalil. I think you have to call the Browns bluff of drafting Blackmon

I can see the Bucs wanting Richardson though.

He's the guy I want. I say we take him at 4 unless we get a pretty good deal to trade down

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Jags like Blackmon and have been rumored to be wanting to move up to 4 for awhile now. That could be why the Rams are showing more interest in trading up as well now.

If we can get those 2 bidding, 2nd and 3rd maybe? Kalil falls, it will be a feeding frenzy.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I'll play the Philly game...i don't think it will happen for many reasons, but let's do it anyways (Browns get 15, 46, 153 and 2013 2nd rounder)

#15 - Upshaw (DE)
#22 - S. Hill (WR)
#37 - D. Martin (RB)
#46 - M. Schwartz (OT)
#67 - G. Iloka (FS)

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Trade out upshaw for Stephon Gilmore and I will take that draft

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

Jags like Blackmon and have been rumored to be wanting to move up to 4 for awhile now. That could be why the Rams are showing more interest in trading up as well now.

If we can get those 2 bidding, 2nd and 3rd maybe? Kalil falls, it will be a feeding frenzy.

If it ends up being the Rams, I don't see much more then a 3rd this year and a 3rd next....Browns will make the move (assuming Kalil goes 3) as it still gets them 1 of their 2 or 3 top targets.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Little nervous about the Gamecocks players...they usually disappointment in the NFL. I'd take DeCastro hands down, but think he'll be gone by then

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

15 - Quinton Coples
20 - Cordy Glenn
22 - Dre Kirkpatrick
37 - Alshon Jeffery
67 - Brock Osweiler
100 - Robert Turbin

Under the assumption that Philly moves up to #4 to take Claiborne, I can see Jax jumping StL for Blackmon. If that were to happen, I can see Floyd dropping to 15. I could see something like below. Though I agree with you on picks, we'd almost have to trade up. If Richardson got past TB, I think we'd be calling to move up for him.

#15 - Malcolm Floyd (WR)
#22 - Whitney Mercilus (DE)
#37 - Lavonte David (OLB)
#46 - Doug Martin (RB)
#51 - Jayron Hosley (CB)
#67 - Mitchell Schwartz (RT)

Though, as I called out in my Mock 2.0, I think Carolina will be our dance partner that night.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Yup, that sure is insightful.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

If it ends up being the Rams, I don't see much more then a 3rd this year and a 3rd next....Browns will make the move (assuming Kalil goes 3) as it still gets them 1 of their 2 or 3 top targets.

After what the Rams got from Washington, not a chance I would trade down for anything less than one of their 2nd rounders this year, and I'd try to get a 2nd or 3rd next year. They got 3 1sts and a 2nd for dropping 4 spots. If they want to come back up 2 spots, it'll cost them.

Legend
Legend
If we were to go the Philly route:

15 OT Cordy Glenn
22 DE Whitney Mercilus
37 RB Doug Martin
46 LB Bobby Wagner
51 OG Brandon Brooks
67 WR Greg Childs
100 (+ 160 + 7th*) CB Ron Brooks/ CB Josh Norman
118 WR Jarius Wright/ WR Chris Rainey
138 LB Audie Cole/ LB Kyle Wilbur
6c QB Austin Davis
6c FS Tysyn Hartman
7c RB Antwon Bailey
7c TE/FB Brad Smelley

I'd probably try to use the 160 and our 7th to try to get our 100 in front of baltimore's 3rd to secure Brooks.

Last edited by CleveSteve; 04/14/12 12:54 AM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
How far back and with whom would we trade to pick up another 1st next year? I know its a little crazy but My eyes are on Barclay. To me This year should be all about stocking up on as many quality role players in rounds 1(mid-late) thru 3 as we can trade later round picks for and hopefully setting up next years draft for the big grab.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

No such thing as too many picks until there is zero chance that the guy you are about to select with one of them will make the 80 man training camp roster. Then, and only then, you can consider yourself as having too many picks.

That's exactly right, , right on, right on, right on right on.

Justin Blackmon publicly said he didn't want to come to the Browns. I could see a scenario where the Browns have moved Michael Floyd over Justin Blackmon on the depth chart of wants, because they want to avoid a situation where a good player won't re sign when they become a free agent.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Legend
Legend
C
If the Eagles did want to trade up we should definitely take their deal. I have a feeling they would only trade up if Kalil is available.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If we trade with Philly is Asante Samuel involved in the trade? Thats what im wondering.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If the Eagles did want to trade up we should definitely take their deal. I have a feeling they would only trade up if Kalil is available.

Definitely? I mean whats the deal? Only way I want to trade that far down is if we're getting a king's ransom with picks next year.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Justin Blackmon publicly said he didn't want to come to the Browns.

Link?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Throw Long...I too, would like to read the story claiming Blackman does not want to be drafted by the Browns.

I have tried to locate the story, but have had no luck finding it.

Help us out, let us know what your source is...thanks, mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
If we were to trade back that far, 1st next year, 2nd and 3rd this year.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Post deleted by Referee2

Last edited by Dave; 04/14/12 09:26 AM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Link?

When that was first brought up here it was mentioned the statement was from his twitter account. So I went in search of it. I found two possible accounts that could be his, neither of which was verified, one does claim to be the official account. Mary Key follows the other one. Remember the TRich hoax? In going through the history of each of those I found no reference at all the Browns, so I just dismissed it as baloney.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I could see something like this:

Eagles get:
4th overall, 5th round pick from Broncos (160) and 7th round pick (211)

Browns get:
Eagles 1st round pick (15) 2 2nd round picks (46 and 51 overall) and their 3rd round pick in 2012.

This would keep the Browns current number of picks the same. It would turn one high pick into (essentially) 3 top 51 picks. Adding a 3rd next year would be a bonus for throwing in the later picks this year.

I would do that quite happily. We would then have :

1st (15 and 22)
2nd (37, 46, 51)
3rd (67)
4th (100, 118)
5th (139)
6th (204, 205) Compensatory
7th (245, 247) Compensatory

2013: Eagles 3rd round pick

Yeah, I'd do that. I'd love to have 7 of the top 100 players in this draft, including 5 of the top 51, plus an extra 3rd round pick next year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Well, To be honest. Would YOU want to come to Cleveland with our recent history ? Now, I'd never say it in public but I'd sure let my agent know that unless the money was a LOT better I'd rather go to a team that at least LOOKS like it might have a chance in the next 4 years.

This is EXACTLY why we need a player in this draft to give us a face, some decent national exposure, a promotional name that the media isn't embarrased to use in the TV promotions. It has to start somewhere guys. Trading back, and back, and back for 15 no name guys may "fill" some holes but it does NOTHING right now to improve or enhance our image of a team that is in constant rebuilding.

Do you think "The Truck, Trent Richardson and the Cleveland Browns take on Big Ben and the Steelers Thursday night" sounds better than " The No name Browns crawl into Heinz field for another Thursday night mauling" ??

LMAO

Time to get a STUD, no maybe's, no "he has potential", no he's almost as good and is cheaper...

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
J/C.

I'm not a draftnik and I'll never claim to be but my opinion counts as much as the many who think they are.

I'm done with this trade down crap to assemble more picks which may or may not ever be used and may or may not be garbage when they are used.

Stay at 4. Take the best player available. Do everything you can to move UP again and again take the best player available.

Draft Richardson. Do not trade down.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

J/C.

I'm not a draftnik and I'll never claim to be but my opinion counts as much as the many who think they are.

I'm done with this trade down crap to assemble more picks which may or may not ever be used and may or may not be garbage when they are used.

Stay at 4. Take the best player available. Do everything you can to move UP again and again take the best player available.

Agreed. Unless we trade back to say #6 and can get Richardson/Flloyd/Blackmon then don't do it. I'd hate to see us trade to the mid of the 1st round and lose out on all 3 of those guys.

[color:"white"]Such is life in Soviet Russia... I mean Cleveland[/color]
D
Legend
Legend
D
That was one of the reasons I wanted to re-sign Hillis AND draft Richardson - to establish (or should I say re-establish?) an identity for this team. I wanted the Browns to go into Full Beast Mode, in direct opposition to conventional wisdom in the current NFL. I've been called a dinosaur, a throwback, and people said "its a passing league, Dave, don't you get it?". I do get it, but I can't say I agree that it necessarily has to be that way. I would just love to see a punishing running game that keeps oppo QB's on the sidelines with long, clock eating drives, provides cover for a young QB to develop with, gives real meaning to play-action fakes, and ices games in the fourth quarter - all the while beating the living schnikees out of the oppo defense. Imagine that headline for MNF: "High-Flying Steeler Air Show Takes On Bone-Crushing Browns' Ground Attack". Headline writers love contrast, and it would be refreshing in what has become a "me-too" league. Throwback uni's, throwback offensive style, outdoor football in December. The NFL the way it oughta be, imo.

Legend
Legend
I'd rather be the Packers and have a dominating passing attack than the Ravens and have a great running game.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I'd just rather have an offense that, you know, was an offense

We're not gonna be a Packers, Saints, Patriots type offense this year. This is a passing league now but I don't see us getting any Brady, Brees, or Rodgers this year. Take Richardson, period (unless someone comes in and blows your socks off with a ridiculous trade offer). Good runningbacks still prosper on bad teams and can be built around (Tomlinsons first years with San Diego and Peterson in Minny)

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
I Agree with Bidatut,

We are at a point where we need a face to the organization. A bonafide playmaker. It sounds nice on paper to trade down and get some more quality positioned picks. But didn't we do that last year? and the year before? We have much better depth and overall better skilled players across the board then we did 3 years ago.

I would love to take TR at #4, but I think he'll be there at 10. So take Blackmon, If Richardson still there at 10 trade back up and get him. The reason I would go Blackmon is because he is the best WR by far. The only other potential WR to be a #1 in this league is Floyd.(I'm not sold on him at all). After that, the rest are just speed guys or lifelong #2's.

FYI... I would love to get Broyles in the 4th. He maybe wont get back to full strength until Nov. but combined with Blackmon we could steal the best 2 WR's in this draft.

If we dont take TR, we can still find several good backs that will be there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I would probably draft 2 RB's by the 5th and pick up a 3rd dwn back like Rainey.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C.

I like that thinking.. I'll offer only one caviat,, if Richardson is the guy you want, and you have a STRONG knowledge that he's gonna be there at, let's say 6, and ST Louis offers you another second round pick to move up, I'd do it, take Richardson at 6, use the pick we got from St. Louis and our 22nd and move up again to get another top tier player.

And you still got our 37 to add yet another talent.

Last edited by Damanshot; 04/14/12 11:34 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 4 teams interested in #4

Link Copied to Clipboard