Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

I would never draft a LB from OSU or WR..they just don't pan out in the NFL.

Probably a reactionary statement.
Ohio State is a football school, and has a long history, so that is a very hard side to take. Oklahoma State, and Oregon State are similar enough stories.
Give them a chance, it's not as bad as say, a quarterback from Kentucky (Couch) or Duke, or Connecticutt.

But more importantly, they whole idea of completly disregarding a player because of the school they played at, especially a 2nd level position ( anything other than quarterback), is narrow minded.
Even though I do it sometimes. I won't say never, as in, never a player at x position from x school.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
So I can't say that I would never take a DE or RB from Penn State ......?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Big difference between a LB making tackles 7-10 yards downfield and a DT making tackles at, or near the LOS.

...or 4-7 yards downfield.

Hey, I've been as vocal as anyone against using tackles as a metric for success for linebackers but I don't think the same applies at DT. There's no such thing as a bad tackle for a DT. If we don't feel a significant impact from taylor's loss then Hughes was definitely worth the third round pick or Winn was a huge steal.

I agree Steve. If our DT is making a tackle 5-7 yards beyond the LOS, he is a stud IMO.

Those guys aren't supposed to be running all over the field and it is unrealistic to supposition they should.

'Peen, Gerard Warren had 61 tackles and 5 sacks his rookie year.

Tackles aren't IMHO everything. We need Taylor to eat blockers, make less down-the-field tackles, and make more at-the-LOS and behind-the-LOS tackles.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree with that as well, but I am just saying if he is making them 7 yards down field, that's some impressive hustle for a position that generally doesn't hustle once they get out of their 4 yard box.

I think both Rubin and Taylor did a great job last year, and am hopeful one of Hughes or the other guy...can't remember his name, fill in.

I also like Eason...or is it Eaton....anyway, he played pretty stout at times, though I am not sure he could hold up to a full time work load.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Warren had an outstanding rookie year but after that he got fat and lazy and really took on the Big Money persona.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Warren had an outstanding rookie year but after that he got fat and lazy and really took on the Big Money persona.

And he is still starting for SuperBowl teams....he sucks.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Ted Ginn ... pretty decent careers

Not really, unless you like drafting a kick returner in the top 10.

I went back and looked at his stats = I'll retract that one

I remembered him being over 700 yards... unfortunately I thought that he did that a few times.. not just once...

Damn those scarlet glasses

<><

#gmstrong
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

Quote:

Rex Grossman was starting QB for a Super Bowl team, he's so good. I heard there is a direct correlation between being good and being a starter on a team that makes the Super Bowl.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I heard there is a direct correlation between being good and being a starter on a team that makes the Super Bowl.

it's not 100% correlation, but I'll bet it's a pretty high % if you take guys who started 10yrs in the NFL and were still starting for Superbowl teams.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc,

not for nothing, but Warren's rookie year stats are also his career highs in almost every meaningful category. By a lot.

web page

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
N
Legend
Legend
N
haha, that reminded me of the 2006 Denver Brownco DL. I believe they had a full DL at times of former Browns. and not even ones that did well for us (outside of Warren who while not 1st round worthy by any stretch at least wasn't completely terrible)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Well, I guess what I'd say is that he's a situational/role player for those SB teams. As a first round pick, he should be an impact player, and I don't think he is. Starting for the Pats doesn't mean he's lived up to the expectation. Now, maybe it's not his fault that Davis overdrafted him, but I think it is his fault that maybe he hasn't put in the work necessary to take him to that next level.

JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

As a first round pick

in 2001. 11 years ago.

he's on his 4th team now. so, he "busted" as far as top5 picks go. however, the Broncos/Raiders/Pats don't really care. They were able to pickup a decent role player that gave them each a few good years.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

As a first round pick

in 2001. 11 years ago.

he's on his 4th team now. so, he "busted" as far as top5 picks go. however, the Broncos/Raiders/Pats don't really care. They were able to pickup a decent role player that gave them each a few good years.

That's a really good point. I've never thought about it like that before.

They don't view him as a bust because they got him for fair market value. We're the only ones that didn't get a reasonable return on investment.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I saw where Taylor is scheduled to have surgery on Wednesday but I still have not heard the level of the tear. Now the MRI may not have been very clear in which case they wont know the full extent of the tear until they open him up and begin the repair.

Good luck, Phil . . .

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I saw where Taylor is scheduled to have surgery on Wednesday but I still have not heard the level of the tear. Now the MRI may not have been very clear in which case they wont know the full extent of the tear until they open him up and begin the repair.

Good luck, Phil . . .

Hopefully they'll be able to tell us something tomorrow or the next day...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yea I am hopeful that this eve, we will here the term partial or mid level when describing the extent of the damage.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yea I am hopeful that this eve, we will here the term partial or mid level when describing the extent of the damage.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H

Some on here believe otherwise, but Taylor will be missed. I really hope that this tear is minor. I'm already expecting him to be out this year, but it's his recovery and the impact of the injury on next year that I'm most concerned. At least our rookies will get experience this year; we have that silver lining.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We shall see. I'm not overly optimistic.

--------------------------------------------------------

Cleveland Browns optimistic that DT Phil Taylor can have significant impact on team this season despite torn pec surgery today, source says

Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 4:12 PM Updated: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 4:50 PM
By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
Follow

The Browns are optimistic that defensive tackle Phil Taylor can make a significant impact on the team this season after surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle.

CLEVELAND -- Browns defensive tackle Phil Taylor underwent surgery to repair a torn left pectoral muscle today at the Cleveland Clinic, but "everybody's optimistic he's going to have a significant on the team this season,'' a league source told the Plain Dealer.

The surgery went well, according to the source, and doctors feel everything's gone even better than planned.

Taylor suffered the torn pectoral Friday while he was bench-pressing during the Browns offseason program at their facility in Berea.

Browns President Mike Holmgren said that Taylor was going through his regular lifting regimen when the surgery occurred and that he was using the appropriate amount of weights for his 6-3, 335 pound frame
Browns coach Pat Shurmur said Taylor would be out "months, not weeks'' and both Shurmur and Holmgren held out hope he'd return this season.

Depending on the severity of the tear, torn pecs can take about four to six months to heal. In that case, Taylor would be back sometime between September and November.

Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson suffered a torn pec in 2009 that caused him to miss the last 10 games of the season, and another one in training camp in 2010 that cost him the entire season.

Jackson came back strong last season to finish second in the NFL with 158 tackles. In Taylor's absence, the Browns are grooming their two rookie defensive tackles,third-rounder John Hughes and sixth-rounder Billy Winn, for significant roles.

web page

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns DT Phil Taylor's surgery 'went well' today, team spokesman says
By Nate Ulrich Published: May 16, 2012

As expected, Browns defensive tackle Phil Taylor had surgery today to repair his torn left pectoral muscle. Dr. Mark Schickendantz performed the surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, said Neal Gulkis, the Browns’ vice president of media relations.

“His surgery at the Cleveland Clinic today went well,” Gulkis said. “He is resting comfortably.”

Taylor suffered the injury last week while lifting weights as part of the team’s offseason training program. He could miss the entire 2012 season, but the Browns are holding out hope that he might be able to come back sooner.

“He’ll miss some time,” Browns coach Pat Shurmur said Monday while speaking in front of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Luncheon Club in Canton. “It’ll be extended probably into the months, and so we’ll see from there. Our guess is he’ll be a fast healer. That’s our guess.”
web page

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Browns President Mike Holmgren said that Taylor was going through his regular lifting regimen when the surgery occurred

I don't have a lot of faith in our doctors if they're performing surgery while he's lifting.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Taylor was going through his regular lifting regimen when the surgery occurred

lol?

Year after year.... if we get strong at one particular position, you can pretty much BANK on us taking an offseason injury at that spot.
It's almost comical how reliable it is.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am dieing lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Browns President Mike Holmgren said that Taylor was going through his regular lifting regimen when the surgery occurred

I don't have a lot of faith in our doctors if they're performing surgery while he's lifting.

i laughed out loud

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

defensive tackle Phil Taylor can make a significant impact on the team this season

well sure, but if the impact is positive or negative will depend on how quickly he heals

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Phil's the man .... even surgery can't keep him from working out.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As a first round pick

in 2001. 11 years ago.

That's a really good point. I've never thought about it like that before.

They don't view him as a bust because they got him for fair market value. We're the only ones that didn't get a reasonable return on investment.

I have been saying that for a long time....and he isn't simply a role player. He's been a very good player in the league, it's just here where we expected the next LeRoy Selmon is he viewed a bust.

It's not his fault we took him to soon. Had he been a mid first rounder we would have been tickled pink.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

“His surgery at the Cleveland Clinic today went well,” Gulkis said. “He is resting comfortably.”

Cleveland Clinic....

Staph infection in 3...2...

N
Legend
Legend
N
yeah, the Cleveland Clinic is only a top5 nationally ranked hospital

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/cleveland-clinic-foundation-6410670

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Cleveland Clinic....

Staph infection in 3...2...

awwww dang... i forgot about that.. i tried to hide it in the back of my mind..

Bentley.. K2.. Jurvecious.. smh.. I'm sure there are others.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
None of them caught staph at the Clinic...

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
preventing staph is as much the patients responsibillty as the care providers. you have to keep any deep wound properly dressed and cleaned, my bet is that when the docs werent around those guys werent practicing proper cleaning techniques

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

None of them caught staph at the Clinic...

This, people . . .This . . .

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
I forget the need on this board sometimes is to be anal retentively correct instead of just making a JOKE.

It was just a reminder we have had players develop Staph infections in what SEEMS to be large numbers.

I actually DO know the clinic is one of the best. A friend of mine did some of his post-graduate observations there before moving to Columbus. Does it matter where they got them? They just did- it was an observation and an affirmation of Browns/Murphys Law.

Thanks for getting the joke HBYT

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
You in no way showed any hint of sarcasm or joking.

Sorry . . .

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Hint: for whatever reason, due to factors beyond my knowledge, sarcasm goes in purple.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

I missed that. Awsome!

C
1st String
1st String
C
and here, i thought jokes were supposed to be funny.

S
Legend
Legend
S
So is it as easy as PUP list and go from there? If we're having a great season and he's progressing.. he comes back, if not then he goes to IR from PUP?

I just don't want to have another DQ situation. Not unless we're gunning for a SB and even then apparently things would have been going OK for us to even get to a decision like that.

I like PT a lot, I think he's got a chance to be really good, but let's face it, the 2013 season is probably the target season for this team being serious for the playoffs. 2012 we find out about Brandon Weeden and let these young guys get more experience under our belts.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Sources: Browns Phil Taylor Injured in Training

Link Copied to Clipboard