Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
The guy has played 11 games in the past 3 seasons.

His best year was 57 catches for 664 yards, and 11.6 yards/catch. That was with Peyton Manning at QB to boot.

We would have to cut someone to bring him in. We can't just add a guy out of the clear blue sky.

He truly is a bad risk all the way around. I pass all day long.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The guy has played 11 games in the past 3 seasons.

His best year was 57 catches for 664 yards, and 11.6 yards/catch. That was with Peyton Manning at QB to boot.

We would have to cut someone to bring him in. We can't just add a guy out of the clear blue sky.

He truly is a bad risk all the way around. I pass all day long.

Of course you pass if you gotta cut someone you think has more potential.. But I don't think they have the max yet.. so it's not really any harm

Hey,, maybe they can cut McCoy,,, that would make you happy right

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Oh I think we could likely cut a WR without really having to drum our fingers about it. Also, I'm pretty sure you can hold a try-out for the guy WITHOUT cutting someone.

But if we had to, here's our star studded receiving cast....

80 Benjamin, Travis WR 5-10 175 R Miami (Fla.)
88 Cooper, Josh WR 5-10 190 23 R Oklahoma State
16 Cribbs, Joshua WR 6-1 215 28 7 Kent State
15 Little, Greg WR 6-2 220 22 R North Carolina
11 Massaquoi, Mohamed WR 6-2 207 25 3 Georgia
18 Mitchell, Carlton WR 6-3 215 24 2 South Florida
10 Norwood, Jordan WR 5-11 180 25 1 Penn State
83 Reed, Bert WR 5-10 180 23 R Florida State
85 Saffold, Jermaine WR 6-0 200 23 R Missouri State
17 Spencer, Owen WR 6-3 185 24 R North Carolina State
13 Windsor, Rod WR 6-2 205 27 1 Western New Mexico

I know...tough. I mean, what WOULD we do without Bert Reed? Or the mighty Owen Spencer?

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
pass. The Browns need a real injection of size and speed at WR. Gonzalez would make some feel warm and fuzzy cause he's a local product. But he offers very little in difference making
He wouldn't fit on the team. I don't think he plays special teams.
there are a million better WR's than Gonzo out there the Browns can bring in.
I'd bring in Terrell Owens before him.
Maybe Anthony can join his teammate at 92.3 and do radio

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

I know...tough. I mean, what WOULD we do without Bert Reed? Or the mighty Owen Spencer?

even as rookies, they have more potential than gonzo...as in, more potential to be on the field. you dont know how good those 2 are....but we know gonzo is average when healthy, and thats almost never.

hmmm....cut rookie with upside, sign injury prone dud because fans like OSU guys...

why is this even a question?

edit: yeah...TO just got cut yesterday. he's bankrupt, and STILL wont work for his money. just the type of guys we need. injury risks and head cases....

come on...

Last edited by choco; 05/30/12 08:19 AM.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

even as rookies, they have more potential than gonzo...as in, more potential to be on the field. you dont know how good those 2 are....but we know gonzo is average when healthy, and thats almost never.

hmmm....cut rookie with upside, sign injury prone dud because fans like OSU guys...

why is this even a question?

edit: yeah...TO just got cut yesterday. he's bankrupt, and STILL wont work for his money. just the type of guys we need. injury risks and head cases....

come on...

OK Choco, let's flip that equation. You've got unknown quantity versus someone who you have tape on playing IN the NFL. A guy who has caught passes against an NFL cornerback rather than the #2 WR from a minor conference playing against a guy who won't even be considered for an NFL career.

Yeah, the guy has been hurt and he needs to check out physically. Not arguing that. But people come back. Look at D'Qwell.

I'm not saying we go around and sign every washed up wideout out there. What I am saying is that our WR corps is arguably the worst in the league and it would be nice to have a veteran presence on the field who has actually PERFORMED rather than just constantly talking about potential.

It costs nothing but TIME to bring guys in for a workout. You don't have to cut anyone to take a look.

C
1st String
1st String
C
sigh...oh he's proven? proven he's as frail as a little old lady.

11 games past 3 years....5 receptions for 67 yards. prior to getting injured, he was an average receiver. first round talent? lmao....

youre argument doesn't matter. this guys more of a liability than stallworth, who was retained by the pats over this clown. if he could stay healthy, it may be worth it....but i'll take an unknown prospect over an average injury-prone "veteran" that never lived up to his hype, any day all day.

you may be scared of the unknown....it may make you feel better having a guy who's "proven" he can catch a football. he does you no good in the training room. at least that unknown guy can contribute cause he's not made of glass.

we already have a talented guy on this team that cant stay healthy....but he's wasn't a buckeye so fans have been trying to run him outta town since his 2nd year. noone, except for those that defend him, equate his lack of production to his injuries. no passes for homerism...sorry.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

11 games past 3 years....5 receptions for 67 yards. prior to getting injured, he was an average receiver. first round talent? lmao....

youre argument doesn't matter. this guys more of a liability than stallworth, who was retained by the pats over this clown. if he could stay healthy, it may be worth it....but i'll take an unknown prospect over an average injury-prone "veteran" that never lived up to his hype, any day all day.

you may be scared of the unknown....it may make you feel better having a guy who's "proven" he can catch a football. he does you no good in the training room. at least that unknown guy can contribute cause he's not made of glass.

we already have a talented guy on this team that cant stay healthy....but he's wasn't a buckeye so fans have been trying to run him outta town since his 2nd year. noone, except for those that defend him, equate his lack of production to his injuries. no passes for homerism...sorry.

Point 1- His proof is that he's had a season that is better than all but one of the receivers on the roster.

Point 2- And read slow, because you seem to have an issue understanding this, I'm saying LOOK at him. I'm not saying cut someone off the top but LOOK. The Pats are loaded at WR- we are not. We should take any and all opportunities to learn about who is out there and whether they could be an upgrade which- looking at our WRs- isn;t too tough to do.,

Point 3- I'm not scared of the unknown. I'm scared of not knowing something that could help us. So bring people in for looks. It costs us NOTHING BUT TIME.

Point 4- I'm not an Ohio State fan. I'm a Browns fan and I endorse any and all actions that potentially improve the team.

My point was bring him in for a look. Bring Sim-Walker in for a look. I don;t CARE if they've had injuries. I don;t care if they are in a slump. They've shown that they can play the damn game. So let's work em out. Evaluate them. Compare them against the UFA fest that is currently our WR corps.

Once again read slow....they are all small words so you should be ok.

IT COSTS US NOTHING TO WORK PEOPLE OUT.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Point 1- His proof is that he's had a season that is better than all but one of the receivers on the roster.

Point 2- And read slow, because you seem to have an issue understanding this, I'm saying LOOK at him. I'm not saying cut someone off the top but LOOK. The Pats are loaded at WR- we are not. We should take any and all opportunities to learn about who is out there and whether they could be an upgrade which- looking at our WRs- isn;t too tough to do.,

Point 3- I'm not scared of the unknown. I'm scared of not knowing something that could help us. So bring people in for looks. It costs us NOTHING BUT TIME.

Point 4- I'm not an Ohio State fan. I'm a Browns fan and I endorse any and all actions that potentially improve the team.

My point was bring him in for a look. Bring Sim-Walker in for a look. I don;t CARE if they've had injuries. I don;t care if they are in a slump. They've shown that they can play the damn game. So let's work em out. Evaluate them. Compare them against the UFA fest that is currently our WR corps.

Once again read slow....they are all small words so you should be ok.

IT COSTS US NOTHING TO WORK PEOPLE OUT.

LOL I think you about covered what I was thinking as well.

I mean, we just brought in Leroy Kelly Jr whos been kicking around for a while and was never able to hook up with a team.. not even us in the past..But it doesn't hurt to look.

So far there are at least 3 teams interested in that kid that was wrongfully accused and convicted of rape. Can't remember his name but I think it's Brian Banks. Seattle, Washington and KC have all invited him in to "LOOK AT"! (I wish we would bring him in also)

No guarantees he'll make it. But it NEVER hurts to look at a kid.

Can you imagine if we'd have looked at Josh Cribbs coming out of college and said,, no, he can't be an NFL QB so let's not even bring him in?

What kinda mistake would that have been?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
We can "look at" anyone ..... but they should have a reasonable expectation of being able to make the team, otherwise it's a waste of time and effort.

If you want to give a guy an extended look, then you have to create a roster spot. That means releasing someone else. It would probably mean releasing a young receiver. If you have looked at film on a guy and don't see someone who fits your offense at all, why would you do that?

As far as Gonzalez, he should give hope for all of our current receivers, because they have had similar production. He has similar attributes. He had remarkable similar production, only he's played with a far, far superior QB than out guys have. (Peyton Manning of several years ago completely blows away anyone we've started at QB in the past 2 years) If a guy can have a career best year of about 500 yards receiving with Peyton Manning ..... should we expect that he'll get better with a lesser QB?

In Massaquoi's 1st 2 seasons, he caught 70 passes for 1107 yards and 5 TDs. In his career, Gonzalez has caught 99 passes for 1307 yards and 7 TDs.

Big improvement ...... push ..... or downgrade? I see a downgrade.

Further, I expect that our receivers will be better this year with better QB play. I'm not all about bringing in bum after bum just to see if they might be better than what we have. They aren't. They're on the loose this far into the year for a reason.

As far as Gonzalez, if it wouldn't jinx him, I would almost bet that Josh Cooper will have more receptions that him by the end of the year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This current FO and Coaching staff have well seasoned relationships covering this whole League.

You just don't bring a guy in to bring a guy in.

First you inquire information from your sources around the League, then after that and you like what you hear, then that might prompt you [Heckert] to watch some film or ask one of his guys what they have on him. If by this time you have determined whether or not said player is worth further evaluation, then no you don't just bring him in, because you should have already come to that conclusion after first doing your home work

Assuming that they have

[Linked Image]

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

This current FO and Coaching staff have well seasoned relationships covering this whole League.

First you inquire information from your sources around the League, then after that and you like what you hear, then that might prompt you [Heckert] to watch some film or ask one of his guys what they have on him. If by this time you have determined whether or not said player is worth further evaluation, then no you don't just bring him in, because you should have already come to that conclusion after first doing your home work

Assuming that they have

In theory true....we're not privy to alot of the backroom dealings but I'm sure alot of casual conversations go on. My original premise stands true though.... I'm all for working guys out to upgrade the team- especially when a unit (WRs) is so weak.

I'm sure you've noticed that other teams seem to bring in people alot more often for looks. We rarely seem to do so- at least with established guys. We often seem to look for hidden treasure.

On the example being discussed, I'm not saying Gonzo is a world beater by any means but, unless there's something physically wrong with him, is he really worse than some of the WRs on roster?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

but they should have a reasonable expectation of being able to make the team, otherwise it's a waste of time and effort.

I'm gonna stop you right there.. if you don't look at them, then you don't know if they have a reasonable expectation of being able to make the team..

Please don't come back with,, well, we've seen what a Gonzo can and can't do so there isn't any need to look at him.. Hell, we looked at Leroy Kelly Jr a few years ago, so did detroit and he didn't cut it then,, why bother now? Well, the answer is, to see if he can cut it this time.

I just don't understand what the big freakin issue is.. It NEVER hurts to look at a guy... NEVER.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Because you can't bring in everyone. It's just not possible.

What are you going to do ... send out letter to every unemployed player, be they 15 year veteran or UDFA who didn't sign with a team, and bring them all in so that the coaches can take a look at them?

They wouldn't be able to practice with the team after the try out at rookie camp .... and that's only for rookies anyway.

So let's say that they brought in a guy like Gonzalez for a ":try out". They wouldn't be able to sign him without cutting someone else. I don't know what they would see in a limited workout that wouldn't show up on tape. Should a team put more importance in a 15 minute workout than on year's of game tape and reports from other coaches and/or executives the current staff knows?

If you go sign a veteran, you do so with the expectation that he has the ability to make your team, because you are giving up the ability to sign a potentially promising young player who might have some value down the road, or as a special teams guy.

I think that teams have a pretty solid book on most veteran players in the NFL, and know who does, and who does not fit their team. That's why teams are able to move so quickly when a player is cut in training camp. They have an idea of which players might fit their system, which players might have value to their team as a veteran influence, and which guys just don't fit at all.

There is no sense in bringing in an injury prone guy who does not have a reasonable expectation of making the team.

Legend
Legend
Aren't you one of the guys who frequently plays the "The FO is the experts so let them do their job" card? Well if they don't bring him in, then they must have a pretty good reason..

yebat' Putin
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I would be interested to know what the cost of bringing these guys in for try outs costs. I mean if a guy steps on the field even for a tryout there is some risk of injury.Is the team required to insure these guys while they are at the facility? It may not be much compared to the big picture of team expenses but it might be enough that they are only willing to foot the bill for guys who they think have a chance to fit in with what they are trying to accomplish.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Of course not.. but your saying they shouldn't bring him in. I'm saying I don't have a problem with it.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Aren't you one of the guys who frequently plays the "The FO is the experts so let them do their job" card? Well if they don't bring him in, then they must have a pretty good reason..

Gees,,,, if they don't want to bring him in, I'm fine with it.. I'm just saying I don't have a freakin problem if they do...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I don't have a problem if they do either.. I also don't have a problem if they don't... He started out ok his first couple years .. he's a competent slot guy at best, and we just drafted a WR to perform that role... but he has disappeared due to injury for 3 years now.. perhaps Peyton Manning led him into too many big hits.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Of course not.. but your saying they shouldn't bring him in. I'm saying I don't have a problem with it.

I'm saying that they shouldn't bring him in because he's not an upgrade over what we already have.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm saying that they shouldn't bring him in because he's not an upgrade over what we already have.

And you may well be right. I'm just saying, I could care less if they bring godzilla in if that's what they want to do.

But one thing for sure, he's showed more than Carlton Mitchell has.. So, your comment isn't exactly correct! Mitchell has barely cracked the line up on a WR Starved team..

From the looks of it, Leroy Kelly Jr. isn't any better than anyone we have and we brought him in.. So your kinda logic goes right out the window.

The point of bringing someone in is to find out if they are better than what we have. and if they aren't.. Bye bye. if they are, then the other guy goes bye bye...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Mitchell has been in the league for 2 years. He has 3 catches for 31 yards.

In the past 3 years, Gonzalez has 5 catches for 67 yards.

I really can't believe that anyone is arguing to bring him in. At least Mitchell still has youth, size, and speed on his side.

As far as Kelly Jr. goes ...... they brought him in for a try out. He's got 4.4 speed ..... so that probably had something to do with it. All they can do are basic measurable with him to see how he compares on the track and in the weight room with guys they have. IIRC, they have 1 roster spot open after releasing that CB they dropped the other day. Kelly may get a chance to fill that spot, or it may go to someone else entirely.

The whole point is that they can't bring someone in for a look and put them on the field with the team to see what they've got. They can work them out, and measure them, but I don't believe that the CBA allows for "tryouts" who take part in practice sessions after rookie camp.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Assuming that they have

In theory true....we're not privy to alot of the backroom dealings but I'm sure alot of casual conversations go on. My original premise stands true though.... I'm all for working guys out to upgrade the team- especially when a unit (WRs) is so weak.

I'm sure you've noticed that other teams seem to bring in people alot more often for looks. We rarely seem to do so- at least with established guys. We often seem to look for hidden treasure.

On the example being discussed, I'm not saying Gonzo is a world beater by any means but, unless there's something physically wrong with him, is he really worse than some of the WRs on roster?

Do we know that he is medically viable?

There has to be something, because there has been plenty of time and opportunity not only for us to bring him in/sign him, but the rest of the League as well, but with out all of the information it's hard as a fan to understand why, because he certainly seemed to be a good receiver when healthy.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I really can't believe that anyone is arguing to bring him in. At least Mitchell still has youth, size, and speed on his side.

As far as Kelly Jr. goes ...... they brought him in for a try out. He's got 4.4 speed ..... so that probably had something to do with it. All they can do are basic measurable with him to see how he compares on the track and in the weight room with guys they have. IIRC, they have 1 roster spot open after releasing that CB they dropped the other day. Kelly may get a chance to fill that spot, or it may go to someone else entirely.

The whole point is that they can't bring someone in for a look and put them on the field with the team to see what they've got. They can work them out, and measure them, but I don't believe that the CBA allows for "tryouts" who take part in practice sessions after rookie camp.

Mitchell was also injured most of last year. I'm willing to give him another year.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Overall, GONZO has had success in the league.. Mitchell can't 'seem to break into the lineup on a team that's starved for WR's.

it doesn't hurt to bring him in for a look see..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
1st String
1st String
C
TO has had success in this league and just got cut from Allen of the IFL.

he's a potential hall of famer...lets kick the tires because he "COULD" make the team!

lmao.....very linear reasoning there daman. im not sure how ill navigate thru the complexity of the idea. there's just so much wrong with your "reasoning" im not sure its worth the time.

problem with mitchell? lmao....what a hypocritical statement. so, injuries and lack of production as a result is OK for gonzo because 4 seasons ago he had ~700 yards (sounds like momass...eh), but not for mitchell (have a look at his hand from last season).....right? after being a 6th round rookie and losing a season to injury, with no offseason to learn the new....yeah. sounds like bias....i wonder where that comes from eh? how can you willfully judge players by inherently different standards?

so on a "WR starved" team (get with the times, btw), why not bring in a guy thats only ever been as good as the guy's we're trying to run outta town, and has PROVEN he'll be on the field less? great plan! impenetrable logic.

i dont know how you wax footbal with kids Ytown.....youre a saint.

Last edited by choco; 06/01/12 07:35 AM.
Legend
Legend
OMG.. Enough already

Just because I said I didn't mind if they brought Gonzo in.. Really?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

OMG.. Enough already

Just because I said I didn't mind if they brought Gonzo in.. Really?

why on earth would you want to bring in Gonzo. don't you think the FO knows what it is doing.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
This thread keeps getting bumped to the top and I always enter to see that nobody worth talking about is being talked about. . .

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

This thread keeps getting bumped to the top and I always enter to see that nobody worth talking about is being talked about. . .

well, if they were worth being talked about, then they wouldn't be a FA in June

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

TO has had success in this league and just got cut from Allen of the IFL.

he's a potential hall of famer...lets kick the tires because he "COULD" make the team!

lmao.....very linear reasoning there daman. im not sure how ill navigate thru the complexity of the idea. there's just so much wrong with your "reasoning" im not sure its worth the time.

problem with mitchell? lmao....what a hypocritical statement. so, injuries and lack of production as a result is OK for gonzo because 4 seasons ago he had ~700 yards (sounds like momass...eh), but not for mitchell (have a look at his hand from last season).....right? after being a 6th round rookie and losing a season to injury, with no offseason to learn the new....yeah. sounds like bias....i wonder where that comes from eh? how can you willfully judge players by inherently different standards?

so on a "WR starved" team (get with the times, btw), why not bring in a guy thats only ever been as good as the guy's we're trying to run outta town, and has PROVEN he'll be on the field less? great plan! impenetrable logic.

i dont know how you wax footbal with kids Ytown.....youre a saint.

What is with your attitude choco? People are allowed to have differences of opinion and we discuss them. You prefer to "lmao" at people and then use the same one line of reasoning rather than advance the discussion.

If you're not ADDING to the discussion, you're just taking up space and maybe should just shut the trap and allow people to talk football rather than just being an internet know-it-all,

YTown and others, good points brought up in the conversation and I completely agree that the FO likely has tape reels and inside info on virtually every player out there. If the Pats chopped him and no one else has grabbed him yet, I'd guess there's something wrong medically. I mean hell....even Robiskie got snapped up when we cut him.

My point was, and only is, that it rarely seems like we bring anyone in for a look. You see this all the time with other teams...with both big name FAs and others. it makes me wonder if we get declined by players or if our FO just doesn;t ask. And if they don't ask, are they really that comfortable with the WR corps as they stand? AND, if they are that comfortable, HOW are they that comfortable..... I know I;m not. Are any of you? (honest question)

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I know I;m not. Are any of you? (honest question)

Absolutely not. Little flashed a little last year, but obviously had issues with catching the ball. He has to get better (and I think he can).

MoMass was simply awful. He reallly has to step up his game this season if he wants to stick as a starter. Honestly, I don't think he is good enough to be a starter in this league, but I don't know that we have anybody better right now. This will get sorted out during TC and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with another WR opposite Little come Week 1.

Regardless, we still don't have a wideout who will keep opposing DCs up at night (even if Weeden proves to be a vast improvement over McCoy). We couldn't fix everything with one draft, I suppose. However, I think we'll regret trading down in the third in this year's draft with Sanu still available. We'll see...

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

I know I;m not. Are any of you? (honest question)

Absolutely not. Little flashed a little last year, but obviously had issues with catching the ball. He has to get better (and I think he can).

MoMass was simply awful. He reallly has to step up his game this season if he wants to stick as a starter. Honestly, I don't think he is good enough to be a starter in this league, but I don't know that we have anybody better right now. This will get sorted out during TC and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with another WR opposite Little come Week 1.

Agreed. I'd actually bet that our starting pair week one ends up being Little and Cribbs. I'm slowly losing hope on MoMass and lost hope ages ago on Mitchell. Fingers crossed that Benjamin can pan out.

The one guy I'm really interested to see the progress on is Norwood. The kid seemed to make the most out of limited playing time last year and I hope he can continue to overachieve.

Legend
Legend
I honestly think that the front office just doesn't like to spend a lot of money on bums.

That's really about the kindest way I can put it. They don't want to bring in a guy unless they truly believe that he can be a substantial upgrade. I would suspect that they (and their scouts, using the same criteria across the board) rate every player in the NFL. (and even their own) When a guy becomes available, they have to decide quickly if the want to try and bring him in, so they look at his rating, compare it to the ratings of the guys they already have, and then decide whether to bring him in or not. Hell, they may even have the process automated, with flags for certain players, and when one becomes available, they take a closer look. Obviously the player has come part to play, unless he was on waivers, but I doubt that players who want to continue their careers decide not to come to Cleveland.

Furthermore, with all of the buzz that Weeden is creating, it's more likely that a receiver would see us as a quality place to continue his career. However, this also gives us hope that our receivers will be better than they looked in recent years.

Anyway ... gotta run ..... or hobble anyway.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id...-chad-ochocinco

Patriots release WR Chad Ochocinco

After spending Thursday trying to trade wide receiver Chad Ochocinco, the New England Patriots decided to release him.

Ochocinco took to Twitter on Thursday to thank Patriots fans.

"Thoroughly enjoyed the oppurtunity to play for the "Patriot" organization... fans were f------ wicked awesome, I wish all of you the best...," Ochocinco tweeted.

The Patriots pushed trade conversations with other teams up to near the end of the day's transaction deadline at 4 p.m. But despite conversations with other teams, there was not enough interest to make a deal.

Ochocinco's biggest issue in New England was not his ability; it had more to do with his ability to pick up the Patriots playbook, which the veteran wide receiver struggled to do.

Earlier Thursday, there had been speculation that this was Ochocinco's last day with the Patriots because the wide receiver left the training facility before the team's OTA.

However, Ochocinco said later in the day he had not been released and simply was attending an eye doctor's appointment.

The 34-year-old caught just 15 passes for 276 yards and a touchdown in his only season with the Patriots after being acquired from the Cincinnati Bengals last July.

Ochocinco, who was paid almost $6 million last season, earlier this year agreed to restructure his contract for 2012. He lowered his base salary to $925,000 from the $3 million he had been scheduled to earn, thus ensuring himself a roster spot -- for the short term.

The Patriots added many new faces at the receiver position this offseason, agreeing to deals with Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Donte' Stallworth and Anthony Gonzalez (who has since been released). Deion Branch also agreed to a one-year deal to return and Wes Welker received the team's franchise tag.

Those additions pushed Ochocinco far enough down the depth chart that his release Thursday does not come as a surprise to most observers.

Legend
Legend
If I were him I'd push for Carolina and team up w/ Steve Smith.. Cam Newton would get him back to his Bengals days.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Wow, he was pushed off the roster by Browns' cast-offs??!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Steve Smith and Ochocinco also played together in junior college.

#695740 06/07/12 09:58 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

just sayin

There is an overwhelming amount of evidence supporting the argument that Patriots coach Bill Belichick is a football genius. The events of July 28, 2011 are at least one point for the “cons” column.

On that fateful afternoon, Belichick’s team traded for both Albert Haynesworth and Chad Ochocinco, sending a 2013 fifth-rounder to Washington for Haynesworth and a pair of picks (2012 fifth-rounder, 2013 sixth-rounder) to Cincinnati for Ochocinco.

Haynesworth didn’t even last the season in New England and was cut in November. Ochocinco, meanwhile, rode his teammates’ coattails all the way to the Super Bowl, despite a horrible season in which he caught just 15 passes and was made inactive for the AFC championship game against Baltimore.

Thursday, Ochocinco met the same fate as Haynesworth — New England cut the mercurial wide receiver after reportedly trying (and failing) to trade him.

Ochocinco agreed to reduce his base salary for this upcoming season from $3 million to $1 million, but even that move couldn’t save his roster spot. The 34-year-old Ochocinco struggled throughout the 2011 season trying to grasp New England’s high-flying offense and, even into recent minicamps, reports told of him screwing up even the most basic premises of the playbook.

The Patriots are never averse to wheeling and dealing draft picks — they jumped up to grab the Nos. 21 and 25 selections this year, while also unloading the 27th, 31st, 67th, 93rd, 126th, 163rd, 166th, 200th, 223rd and 238th picks in a flurry of other deals. And the fact that New England made it to the Super Bowl in spite of the moves for Hayesworth and Ochocinco makes it pretty easy to write off those transactions as meaningless.

Washington and Cincinnati would argue otherwise. Both were able to shed the contracts of players who were causing locker-room headaches, while also adding valuable extra draft picks.

The Bengals turned that 166th pick this year into Cal wide receiver Marvin Jones, who is in the mix to win a starting spot opposite A.J. Green. As things stand right now, the Patriots also don’t have a pick in Rounds 5 or 6 next season — in recent years, New England’s landed contributors like Dan Koppen, Matthew Slater, Zoltan Mesko and, oh yeah, one Tom Brady in either Round 5 or 6.

So the Haynesworth and Ochocinco trades may not have crippled New England in 2011 and it may not hamstring the Patriots too much in 2012 to have released those guys, but there’s value to be had in traded draft picks.

No front office is going to achieve perfection on roster moves. There are just way to many variables for every key signing, draft pick or trade to pan out as teams hope. But Belichick and the Patriots have pulled off more than their fair share of fast ones.

The Haynesworth and Ochocinco trades still go down as terrible misses, even if they’re rare outliers on Belichick’s sparkling resume.

Joe Thomas #73
BADdog #695741 06/08/12 06:58 AM
Legend
Legend
So, dumb and dumber and cut. Football was cutting into his media and twi-ter time badly. Was he just too stupid or too undisciplined? Talk among yourserves . . . .

Can't say his cut surprises OR upsets me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agents Still Available aka Players we Won't be Signing

Link Copied to Clipboard