Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#702541 06/21/12 06:51 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Cleveland Browns announce training camp schedule
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2012, 4:19 PM Updated: Thursday, June 21, 2012, 4:50 PM
Tom Reed, The Plain Dealer By Tom Reed, The Plain Dealer

BEREA, Ohio -- The Browns will open training camp on July 28 at their Berea training facility.

Fans will get an opportunity to attend 16 practices, including a Family Night Practice at Cleveland Browns Stadium on Aug. 8 at 7 p.m.

There is no admission to any of the sessions. Fans attending practice at the Berea facility can park on the campus of Baldwin-Wallace College near the intersection of Beech Street and Bagley Road.

Fans also can call the Browns training camp hotline at 877-627-6967 for the latest updates on practice times.

TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE

July 28: Helmets 8:45-11:15 a.m.

July 29: Full pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.

July 30: Full pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.

Aug. 1: Full pads 2:00-4:30 p.m.

Aug. 2: Full pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.

Aug. 3: Full pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.

Aug. 4: Full pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.

Aug. 6: Full pads 2:00-4:30 p.m.

Aug. 7: Full pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.

Aug. 8: Family practice night 7:00-- 8:30 p.m.

Aug. 10 Browns at Detroit 7:30 p.m.

Aug. 12: Full pads 2:00-4:30 p.m.

Aug. 13: Full pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.

Aug. 14: Shells 8:45-11:15 a.m.

Aug. 16: Browns at Green Bay 8 p.m.

Aug. 19: Full pads 2:00-4:30 p.m.

Aug. 21: Full pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.

Aug. 22: Shells 8:45-11:15 a.m. web page

Legend
Legend
dang.. more than a month to go..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
R
Legend
Legend
R
I think it's important to note that the last time I was at training camp was before the 2007 season. We went 10-6 that year.

I will be there either first or second week of August this year.

We'll see if there is any correlation between my visit and the number of wins!

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

We'll see if there is any correlation between my visit and the number of wins!

If there is I'm betting next year we'll all pitch in a little and pay your way...

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
This'll be my first year going. Looking forward to it . . .

Legend
Legend
I will try to go this year, and I really enjoyed it before. I am just so ready for some football. And I am a tad optimistic about the new blood and Chilly and some off-season prep. At least in camp, they are undefeated!
LOLetc. Want to see the players with my own two eyes. The contact up close can be a thriller and I have never gotten tired of the pads popping up close and personal.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

An early guide to Browns rookies and their roles

By Steve Doerschuk
CantonRep.com staff writer web page

Summer break is nearing its end for NFL players, coaches — and yes, the NFL beat writers.

This Saturday morning (July 28) at 8:45 a.m., the Cleveland Browns take the field for their first practice of training camp. It will be helmets only for the players. But the hitting will start soon enough, with them going full pad the next morning and taking the field for their first preseason game Aug. 10 at Detroit.

All eyes will be on the Browns’ newest faces, especially the two first-round picks expected to lead the team back to NFL relevance — Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden.

Repository Browns beat writer Steve Doerschuk’s takes on some of the rookies based on the minicamps before summer vacations started.

And be sure to follow the Browns all season long at CantonRep.com/browns, where fans can get all of the latest news and debate what it means at Steve’s blog CantonRep.com/freshbrownies.

SUMMER BREAK TAKES
With the Browns looking to jump-start a long dormant offense and continuing to take a step forward with a defense that will be missing two key players (injured Phil Taylor and scheduled-to-be suspended Scott Fujita), several rookies should factor quickly into the team’s plans.

Repository Browns beat writer Steve Doerschuk offers up these takes on some of the rookies. For a fuller look at each of the players drafted by the Browns last April, as well as a rookie photo gallery from training camp, visit CantonRep.com/browns

Trent Richardson, RB, 5-10, 224
Jim Brown, the famed back who has been saying Richardson is nothing special, averaged 78.5 rushing yards a game as a rookie No. 6 overall draft pick in 1957.

That was when the NFL played 12-game seasons.

If Richardson matches Brown’s average as a rookie No. 3 overall pick, he will finish with 1,236 rushing yards. That might shut up Brown a little.

Stats are stats. What would really do the trick is a dynamic look that becomes a centerpiece of a Browns revival. Richardson did not have a chance in spring practice — mostly conducted in helmets and shorts — to prove he can go there.

A franchise holds its breath while waiting to see if he can.

Brandon Weeden, QB, 6-3, 221
Hanging around Weeden for a bunch of spring practices leaves this important impression:

He is a rookie with an asterisk.

The important part, the asterisk, is not only his age, but the fact he has used his relatively lengthy stay on Earth to grow up and absorb a little wisdom.

Ironically, many younger quarterbacks seem to feel the need to come off as know-it-alls. Weeden is past that stage, addressing those he meets in his new NFL life with authority and humility.

His maturity has gotten everyone’s attention. So has the zip on his ball. In terms of velocity, accuracy and touch as a package, we haven’t seen anything like it in Berea on the long road that began in 1999.

It’s almost impossible to imagine the brass not wanting to see what Weeden looks like in actual combat immediately.

Mitchell Schwartz, OL, 6-5, 317
Early on in spring drills, fourth-year pro Oniel Cousins got some work at right tackle with the No. 1 offensive line.

Schwartz joined the “ones” early on and quickly impressed teammates and coaches as the obvious starter in waiting at the position.

Schwartz will have to prove he can walk the walk when the hitting starts, but he seems well-grounded and unfazed by the challenge of NFL trench warfare.

He projects as a clear upgrade over what the team has received from the right tackle position since Ryan Tucker’s career wound down about five years ago.

John Hughes, DT, 6-3, 306
Hughes will duke it out with veteran Scott Paxson for the defensive tackle job vacated by injured 2011 Round 1 pick Taylor.

Neither of them can match Taylor’s size and talent, but Hughes has a bigger, better run-plugging build than Paxson.

Paxson, 29, has appeared in only 17 NFL games, but he has seen a lot of the NFL, much of it from the Steelers’ practice squad. He has a toughness and maturity Hughes can aspire to.

Hughes came away from spring practice impressing coaches as at least a viable candidate to play 20 snaps a game, if not start. Production from his spot is a big key to the season, since Taylor won’t return until Game 9 or thereabouts.

James-Michael Johnson, LB, 6-1, 241
Two fourth-round picks are battling to fill the outside linebacker void left by Fujita’s three-game suspension to start the 2012 season.

Kaluka Maiava, entering his fourth NFL season, has a big edge in experience.

Johnson has a big edge in ... being bigger.

It was hard to tell in noncontact spring drills how Johnson can plug in as a run defender, but size matters to a Browns defense that struggled against power running games in 2011 and already lost some front-seven bulk when Taylor went down with a pectoral tear.

The early favorite to replace Fujita is Johnson.

Emmanuel Acho, LB, 6-2, 238
Acho came through spring drills impressing coaches as their kind of guy on many fronts.

He is coachable, smart and serious about this career chance. He has long arms that are accentuated by a 36-inch vertical jump.

He impresses some as a jack-of-all-trades type versatile enough to function at any of the three linebacker spots, but not good enough to excel. It’s the same with special teams: He seems OK, but nothing special.

He has a better than 50-50 chance to make the roster at first but might get bumped to the practice squad when Fujita’s suspension ends.

Billy Winn, DL, 6-3, 296
The Browns need defensive line depth, especially with Taylor out for the first half of the season.

Winn has a chance to provide it at both end and tackle. He probably is more talented than young veterans Brian Schaefering and Emmanuel Stephens, but those two have an edge because they soaked in Dick Jauron’s defense last year. Both have started NFL games.

Winn’s athleticism and the team’s depth issue point to a better than 50-50 chance of making the 53-man roster. He has a chance to work his way up the depth chart as the season goes along.

Legend
Legend
How do you leave Gordon out of this article?

No mention of smelley or miller?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Benjamin, Wade, Miller, Gordon & Smelly.

Gordon and Benjamin could be playing huge roles for us this year. I think we will see Benjamin and Gordon out wide often while we slip Little into the slot.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Browns training camp schedule, information

BROWNS TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE
Admission to all the following practice sessions and the Family Night is free. Practices are held at the team’s Berea training facility, except for Family Night, which is at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

For practices in Berea, fans can enter the facility through the Beech Street entrance. Parking is available on the campus of Baldwin-Wallace College near the intersection of Beech Street and Bagley Road. In all, 16 practices will be open to the public in 2012.

Fans can call the Browns Training Camp Hotline at 877-6BROWNS (877-627-6967) for the latest information on practice times.

Date Attire Time
Saturday Helmets 8:45-11:15 a.m.
July 29 Full Pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.
July 30 Full Pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.
July 31 No practice
Aug. 1 Full Pads 2-4:30 p.m.
Aug. 2 Full Pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.
Aug. 3 Full Pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.
Aug. 4 Full Pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.
Aug. 5 No practice
Aug. 6 Full Pads 2-4:30 p.m.
Aug. 7 Full Pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.
Aug. 8 Shells, Family Night at Cleveland Browns Stadium 7-8:30 p.m.
Aug. 9 No practice
Aug. 10 Preseason game at Detroit 7:30 p.m.
Aug. 11 No practice
Aug. 12 Full Pads 2-4:30 p.m.
Aug. 13 Full Pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.
Aug. 14 Shells 8:45-11:15 a.m.
Aug. 15 No practice
Aug. 16 Preseason game at Green Bay 8 p.m.
Aug. 17 Practice closed to the general public
Aug. 18 No practice
Aug. 19 Full Pads 2:00-4:30 p.m.
Aug. 20 Practice closed to the general public
Aug. 21 Full Pads 8:45-11:15 a.m.
Aug. 22 Shells 8:45-11:15 a.m.

ALL PRACTICE DATES AND TIMES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
All public practices are subject to weather conditions. Practices moved into the field house will be closed to the public.

PROHIBITED/ALLOWED ITEMS
Smoking is prohibited.

Weapons, noisemakers, animals, and aerosol cans are prohibited.
Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.

Plastic bottles and boxed liquids are permitted. Cans and glass are prohibited.

Soft case coolers are permitted. Hard plastic coolers are prohibited.

Cameras are permitted, but must not interfere with another fan’s enjoyment of practice. The images reproduced may not be used commercially. Commercial video equipment is prohibited.

Umbrellas, strollers, purses, fanny packs, backpacks, and diaper bags are permitted but are subject to inspection.

Portable folding chairs and lawn chairs are permitted, but are subject to inspection.

DIRECTIONS
From the South to Cleveland Browns Training Facility

Take I-71 North (Cleveland) to Bagley Road exit 235.

Turn left onto Bagley Road.

Continue on Bagley Road to Beech Street on your right.

Parking available at B-W George Finnie Stadium Lot.

Handicap Parking: Available on Front Street at the Berea Recreation Center. A free shuttle to training camp will be available in front of the parking lot at the Berea Recreation Center.
web page

Legend
Legend
There are going to be some difficult decisions to make this year.

One thing that I think really says what the Browns looked for this year are words like "Mature", "Professional", "Bigger", "Faster", "Ready".

The Browns wanted guys who they could plug in from day 1. I think that they have several in Richardson, Weeden, Schwartz, and JMJ. Gordon might be another, but I don't think that he has the same level of maturity and readiness the others do. However, the Browns will come out of this draft with at least 4 starters, and maybe even a couple more.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

How do you leave Gordon out of this article?

No mention of smelley or miller?

It said the article would look at some of the players. For a full look you can read it online.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Aug. 6 Full Pads 2-4:30 p.m.

DancinDawg and I plan to attend. This is our only chance for her to see some pumpkin hats up close this year since she will be spending Fall semester in Florence Italy.

Naturally, I will post my observations.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Looking forward to your analysis, bud!

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll have a pad and a pen and be taking notes. It should be the 6th or 7th day of full pads. I would think I'd start seeing something by then.

If anyone else is going that day, let me know.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
NFL network doing their training camp show, had the Browns on for about 7 minutes. Good to see Colt there competing with Weeden. One thing that stood out was the freaking size of Miller. That boy is a freaking mountain, he was working at LT.

Anyway wasn't much but Michael Lombardi and Brian Baldinger did spend the entire time ripping on the Browns and especially the Browns receivers. Lombardi was saying the Browns did nothing to help the speed of their offense and Colt wasn't the problem. Their offense was west coast 101. Basically anyway they thought he could rip on the Browns they did. Pretty freaking cheap considering they spent all day kissing the ass of every other team they covered.

Legend
Legend
So you're saying the Browns FO is planning on cutting Joe Thomas and putting Miller at LT??? [/purple]

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Lombardi is the biggest moron in the country, especially when it comes to the Browns and his Conan sized ax he has to grind against them/us.

you had a good run Hank.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Lombardi is the biggest moron in the country, especially when it comes to the Browns and his Conan sized ax he has to grind against them/us.

you'd think his axe would be with Modell and therefore the Ravens, but I agree.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Now you know I don't like talking media heads., but why is he a moron in particular, is it because he said we didn't do enough about the receivers? Not sure I disagree with that. Is it because he didn't lay the entire blame on Colt McCoy,, again, I can't disagree with him there.

But what puzzles me more is, why would he have any kinda ax to grind against us, I mean the cleveland browns or the Browns fans?

He worked here from 87 until Modell moved them to Baltimore.. we didn't do a thing to him.. Modell did, so explain again why he has an ax to grind with the Browns.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Gordon looks like a big TE, huge kid. Richardson looks like a Tazmanian Devil lol short, short legs and he is all shoulders and chest. Seriously in those brown uniforms he does look like Taz lol. The back wearing 35 looks like a kid that snuck on the field when noone was looking.

Wish they had better angles, cant really tell anything other than watching the QBs mechanics.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I tend to refuse to believe that anybody in the national media, (perhaps other than Dilfer) really dislikes us all that much until such time as we start to win and they still don't have anything nice to say.... then I will consider that it could be something personal.

When you lose consistently, look horrible doing it, make questionable hires, questionable draft picks, etc..... people aren't going to say nice things about you....

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I tend to refuse to believe that anybody in the national media, (perhaps other than Dilfer) really dislikes us all that much until such time as we start to win and they still don't have anything nice to say.... then I will consider that it could be something personal.

When you lose consistently, look horrible doing it, make questionable hires, questionable draft picks, etc..... people aren't going to say nice things about you....

I'm with you. Just because they're saying negative things about our favorite team doesn't make the things they say untrue. Let's face it, we weren't good last year (or several years before), and until we see the proof on the field, why should anyone (including us) think it'll be different?

I try to stay positive, but I'm not going to bash a reporter for being negative. Now, if what they're saying is total BS, that's one thing. But if it's just their opinion, then whatever.

And, perhaps even more importantly, why should anyone care what the media says about us?

R
Legend
Legend
R
While I agree with you - and I have not seen the report on NFL Network - it would be nice if they could provide their thoughts on the players that we see as promising. I also read on another board what Mourg commented on ... that they pretty much bagged on the team, the O, and the WRs especially. But we did address WR ... last year and this year. I'd like to hear why they think those moves won't make a difference. Something a little more in depth other than regurgitating reasons whey we sucked LAST year ... If they still feel the WRs will continue to suck this year, I'd like to know why considering Little is going into year 2, Benjamin was drafted to be the speed guy, and Gordon was also added. They all may suck and we may suck still, but it would be nice for them to drill down a bit.

But yeah otherwise until we show it on the field, I wouldn't expect much respect ... and honestly, it's why I don't watch any pregame, postgame, or NFL Network shows ... just the games.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
H
Rookie
Rookie
H
Quote:

But yeah otherwise until we show it on the field, I wouldn't expect much respect

Well put.

S
Legend
Legend
S
they will all have a nice poop burger to eat soon enough!

Legend
Legend
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/roster.html

#35 is Adonis Thomas rookie RB from Toledo

Code:
96	Stephens, Emm.	DL	6-3	255	25	 2	Mississippi
98 Taylor, Phillip DL 6-3 335 24 2 Baylor
35 Thomas, Adonis RB 5-9 185 23 R Toledo
73 Thomas, Joe OL 6-6 312 27 6 Wisconsin
67 Tripp, Kiante DT 6-6 276 24 2 Georgia

Re: Lombardi,

It certainly seems like he goes out of his way to emphasize everything that is wrong about the Browns. I think he may actually be a Browns fan, which would explain all the complaining.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

And, perhaps even more importantly, why should anyone care what the media says about us?

+1

Camp summaries, preseason predictions and power rankings mean nothing right now.

If we win more than last year, the media will start buying in....if not, oh well. This is my team and I'll always root for them.

And anyway, let them talk about how bad we are. I'd rather come into the season with something to prove instead of thining we've earned something already.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Re: Lombardi,

It certainly seems like he goes out of his way to emphasize everything that is wrong about the Browns. I think he may actually be a Browns fan, which would explain all the complaining.

Ha ha ha...we have a few "Lombardi's" on this board too.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Patriots, Saints, Lions, Packers.....

Just a handful of teams that have had long, very long stretches of terrible play over the course of my lifetime. And guess what the media bagged on them all the time. I mean they used to actually call the Saints the 'Aints and couldn't even talk about the franchise without showing a couple jokers with brown paper bags on their heads.

I bring this up to say that once we develop some success and sustain it the media is going to be all over the Browns and how great we are.

Just about everything in life is cyclical in nature. We've been down for a while. It's about time we rise back up.

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
Legend
N
you are always supposed to add the Seahawks to the list too so that someone can mention that Holmgren resurrected 2 of those teams fortunes.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wow I was watching espn today. They predicted Richardson as rookie of the year with 1,200 yards

Wow just watched a bit more Trent Dilfer really likes Weedens Mechanics.

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns
Browns training camp: news, notes and observations from practice
By Nate Ulrich Published: July 25, 2012

The Browns opened training camp today with rookies, quarterbacks and select veterans practicing this afternoon. Here are some highlights from the session and subsequent interviews:

Cleveland debut

Wide receiver Josh Gordon, whom the Browns selected in the second round of the NFL’s supplemental draft earlier this month, told reporters he failed a marijuana test after transferring to Utah. Gordon previously failed two marijuana tests at Baylor and was suspended indefinitely.

Still, Gordon has vowed to stay out of trouble, and the Browns have put their trust in him.

“Yeah, there was a failed test [at Utah],” Gordon said following his first practice with the Browns. “But [it’s] definitely something I want to get past. Coming out here, I have a new experience, a new foundation to get started and I don’t really plan on looking back in the past anymore. I only look toward my future.

“Seeing as though I’m already the guy with a spotty background, it would make no sense for me to ever try to get back to doing the stuff that I was doing. I have no thoughts of ever trying to be that person or be the bad guy that everybody knows. I don’t want to be that person.”

Browns General Manager Tom Heckert said he drilled Gordon about his past before the supplemental draft, and Gordon told him everything he felt he needed to hear.

“I’m definitely a changed person,” Gordon said. “The things that happened were such a long time ago, and the fact that there’s this many people in such a prestigious organization like this holding their jobs and their necks out on the line for a guy like me says a lot about them, their character. I just want to meet them halfway on that agreement. And if they’re gonna be willing to do this for me, I want to just be willing to reciprocate.”

Gordon, 6-foot-3 and 224 pounds, looks the part of a No. 1 wide receiver, but he’ll obviously need to work on his route running. Coach Pat Shurmur and receivers coach Mike Wilson pulled Gordon aside during practice and gave him tips on his technique.

Shurmur later told reporters he believes Gordon has a chance to become a good player. Gordon, though, needs to play catch-up as he learns a new offense after missing organized team activities and minicamps in the spring.

“From what I can tell already, he’s a quick learner,” Shurmur said. “We’ve kind of amped it up for him so that we can get him going quickly. It’s obvious to me that he understands how to play the position. He gets lined up well, understands coverage adjustments, it’s just a matter of him getting familiar with our terminology. So we’ll see how quickly he’ll do it.”

Naming a starting QB

Shurmur is expected to name rookie Brandon Weeden the team’s starting quarterback at some point this summer. It could happen before the first preseason game on Aug. 10, or Shurmur could wait until the Browns are in the midst of their exhibition schedule.

“I think it makes sense to name the starter well before the start of the season, and so that’s probably what will happen,” Shurmur said. … “I think it’s fair to say that between now and the first game, anywhere in here we could possibly name the starter. [We] don’t necessarily need to see so many snaps of a preseason game.”

At camp on time

Weeden, the 22nd overall pick in this year’s draft, and running back Trent Richardson, the third overall pick, had their rookie contracts wrapped up in the past two days, just in time for camp. Both players seemed relieved not to miss any of the action.

Camp schedule

Veterans are set to report to camp Thursday, and the first full-squad practice will be held Friday. Camp opens to the public at 8:45 a.m. Saturday.
web page

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns
Transcript from news conference with Browns coach Pat Shurmur
By Nate Ulrich Published: July 25, 2012

Browns coach Pat Shurmur met with reporters following the first practice of training camp. Here is a transcript from the news conference:

(Opening Statement)- “It was the first day, as you know, with the rookies. I think the rookies really benefit from being out here and I think the coaches benefit from getting back out here and coaching again. From what I could tell, the rookies have come in in very good shape. The benefit of having an offseason, I think we’re starting way further ahead this year than we did obviously last year because of the body of work that these guys have put in. They are actually watching cut-ups of things they did in the spring where they didn’t have that last year. We’ve got some good young talent out there. I thought the work was good. Obviously, we can’t work on tempo yet until we get a full squad, but I think the guys look good. We got them out running around and then we’ll add them tomorrow with the vets when they report, do our running test and then are off to the races.”

(On his first impressions of Josh Gordon)- “We did it privately, but we got to know Josh pretty well behind the scenes and for obvious reasons we didn’t talk about it much prior to the supplemental draft. But as you can see, he’s a very good looking young man. He’s over 6-3, 225, he catches the ball extremely well and we’re going to bring him along. There was some conversation about his quad so we are going to have to work with that as we go, but he was out here practicing and we’ll managed that. The first impressions were that he’s got a chance to be a good player.”

(On how long it will take Gordon to make up the ground from not having an offseason)- “We’ll see. From what I can tell already, he is a quick learner. We’ve kind of amped it up for him so we could get him going quickly. It’s obvious to me that he understands how to play the position. He gets lined up well, understands coverage adjustments. It’s just a matter of him getting familiar with our terminology so we’ll see. We’ll see how quickly he can do it and we’ll throw him in with the rest of the guys and I think it will be obvious to all of us.”

(On how important it was to have Brandon Weeden in on time)- “I think it’s important for all of the guys to be here when camp starts. Yeah, it’s very important. I think the structure of the way the draft is now and the way guys are signing, it’s going to be very rare for a guy to hold out. I knew all along with some certainty that these contracts would get done and I think our guys did an excellent job of coming to an agreement with them and their agents and Trent (Richardson) and Brandon are obviously here.”

(On how soon he expects to name a starting quarterback)- “Good question, I was expecting that one. I have said it all along sooner is better. I want to get all of the guys out here and watch them work again. I have had a chance to go over what everybody did in the spring numerous times and I feel good about what I saw from Brandon, Colt (McCoy) and Seneca (Wallace) so I’ll have some form of an announcement soon.”

(On if it will help the team to know who the starting quarterback is)- “Sooner is better than later as I have mentioned. What’s important when you’re practicing is that they’re all working together whether it’s a one or a two. If you’re a guy that’s most likely going to make the team and you’re working with a quarterback that’s going to be the starter, whether it’s the first or second rep, it really doesn’t quite matter.”

(On if Josh Cooper has an advantage because of his familiarity with Weeden)- “It may help him as far as that connection that they have. He is used to looking for him. He’s in the progression like the rest of the guys and there are times where we’ll call a play where Josh is first in the progression and he will get the football. There’s times where he’s in the route combination and he’s not first and he gets the football so they have a little bit of a feel and that will help him. But, they are both learning a new offense. Where they would be miles ahead of everybody else is if they were executing their offense, but they’re both learning something new.”

(On how he balances talent with personal issues with players like Gordon)- “I don’t know about balancing. We don’t expect that to happen again and when we go through the process of deciding that we are going to draft this player, we have to come to the conclusion that we feel like this is behind him. Now, I will say this and it may apply to you, me, everybody, people have things that happen in their background, some adversity and I think it’s fair to say that if they can overcome that it makes them stronger in some ways. We anticipate that this will not be an issue, we are going to watch it closely and I think he understands how important it is to be a good teammate and be a good pro. That being said, I hope we don’t have to discuss it anymore.”

(On how Trent Richardson is different today than in rookie minicamp)- “I think he’s in better shape, most definitely. Guys come in when they are drafted that high and as you might expect they are visiting a bunch of clubs, they end up going to New York for the draft, they get caught in that kind of whirlwind of being drafted. So when you see them initially, even though they did a lot of preparation up to the draft, they are a little bit out of shape and I don’t sense that now. I think he is in very good shape”

(On if he liked what he saw from the receivers)- “For a first day, I think they did a nice job, again I saw recall from the spring. It looked like for the most part they are in pretty good condition although we didn’t challenge them that way because the lines are short, and they did a decent job of catching the football. I feel good about adding this young rookie group to the veterans on this team, and seeing who sticks.”

(On if he thinks two playmakers can make a huge difference to a team)- “I think the team has to get better, but it’s easy to point to one or two marquee players added to a group, but I do feel like we’re a better football team than we were last year, in my opinion, from what I’ve seen comparing last year to today. We’re a lot better. I think we’ll function better, and I think we’ve added some good young talent, not to mention a couple free agents.”

(On if he anticipates naming a starting quarterback before preseason games start)- “I think so, I think it makes sense to name the starter well before the start of the season. That’s probably what will happen.”

(On prognosticators predicting that the team won’t do well this year)- “It’s not my concern. What I’m concerned about is getting our players ready to play, putting them out there, and watching them perform well. That’s what I’m concerned about. If they do that, then I think we’ll win games, more than the prognosticators say.”

(On possibly having four rookies start and if that is an issue)- “No, I don’t think so. I think what we’re going to see as time goes on is there’s going to be rookies playing for every club. I think the challenge is to teach them your systems quickly and then get them out there and let them do it.”

(On if his message to the team will be different than last year because he didn’t know them last year)- “I’ve prepared my message for tomorrow, and that’s between me and them, but it is a different message, because I do know them now. Last year, I was seeing these players literally for the first time, most of them, so you say things to people you first meet different than people you’ve had a chance to work with for a year. That’s probably a good question and I’m ready for that.”

(On if his expectations are different for training camp this year)- “I think we have standards of excellence that we want to uphold by the way we practice, and then of course we’re trying to win every game. I think that’s what we’re trying to do. We are trying to win our division which secures us a spot in the playoffs, and gives us a chance to win the biggest one, and that’s what we’re trying to do. Regardless of how we finished last year, that’s what we talk about.”

(On if he will need to see the quarterbacks in preseason games to determine a starter)- “I think it’s fair to say that between now and the first game, anywhere in here, I could possibly name a starter. I don’t necessarily need to see so many snaps in a preseason game.”

(On how much improvement there will be at the quarterback position this season regardless of who starts)- “I saw improvement today from Seneca (Wallace) and Colt (McCoy) and Thad (Lewis), who were here last year. They made a couple throws today that they wouldn’t have been able to make last year just in terms of knowing the progressions. I feel like we’ve got a better situation at quarterback, most definitely.”
web page

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

(On how soon he expects to name a starting quarterback)- “Good question, I was expecting that one. I have said it all along sooner is better. I want to get all of the guys out here and watch them work again. I have had a chance to go over what everybody did in the spring numerous times and I feel good about what I saw from Brandon, Colt (McCoy) and Seneca (Wallace) so I’ll have some form of an announcement soon.”

I think he already gave away his depth chart right there, lol

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Gordon sure does look the part:

Training Camp Practice Footage

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The way he opens those mitts up it kind of looks like Kellen Winslow. His hands absorb the football.

And he's a nice sized athlete. Tall but not wispy or thin. Long arms, big hands. We might have ourselves a steal here. I want to see if he can run away from DBs. If he can there is no ceiling on this guy.

Color me excited!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'd like to see him run OVER DBs, but that's just the style of play I like.

In reality, I'd much rather he run past them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont think he could catch a ball against his body if you asked him to.
The guy has hands!!!!

Joe Thomas #73
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2012 Training Camp Stuff.

Link Copied to Clipboard