Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I cannot tell you why he has the axe to grind, but he does. I think it was the way the fans treated him and Bellyache. But he has gone out of his way to degrade current players, including calling Joe Haden "slow", multiple times.

As far as media people go, Mike Lombardi has an axe to grind against the fans of Cleveland Browns.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All the way past them.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
He definitely looks the part with shorts and no pads. His cuts are a little too rounded for my liking but...guy hasn't played competitively for a few years, so he may not have the same practice cutting routes hard.

Weeden certainly looks the part too. Those 15 yard outs are on target.

Oh, and Travis Benjamin looks like a teenager.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I dont think he could catch a ball against his body if you asked him to.
The guy has hands!!!!

Well....reality is that is a limited clip with a few highlights. Do you think they are going to show us the clips where the ball is doinking off of his chest?

I do like how he catches with his hands, though in the clips we did see. I always remember Braylon. Tall, fast, rangy, can go up and get it. Only problem was, he always went up and got it, even if it was thrown at his damn chest. He would jump up. For everything. Anything higher than his thighs. Used to drive me nuts. Just put your hands up and catch it naturally.

But I'm curious to see what he does with a guy lined up across from him. And we have one of the best in Haden.....I think watching that match up if it happens and hearing Joe's assessment could be telling.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
B
All Pro
All Pro
B

Gordon does have big hands and uses them to catch with, as should all receivers. Hopefully he can teach it, or the others will pick up on it and do it more often.

As to lombardo, he is an idiot, he traded Ernest Byner after the fumble for Mike Oliphant, straight up. I have heard it was the evil one (m.. something) but also that it was lombo. From people who were there at the time, they say lombo. So either way, either it was his doing, or he did nothing to stop it, his 'personnel' decisions/ability is questionable at best. As to his axe to grind, he thinks he should be the top guy wherever he is and no one should question him, belichek included when here, they did not get along as well as lombo would make you think, he started saying they were on the same page when belli started winning SB's.

Back to main topic...
It's good to see those helmets with recent footage and knowing football is coming soon.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I doubt we see many drops with Gordon but that will not be the case with Benjamin. Honestly, I think Benjamin may be lucky to make the practice squad. It is hard for a guy with the dropsies to shine when you have Norwood, Saffold and Cooper that can catch. Saffold can beat press, especially deep and that could be his ticket. Cooper and Norwood I see more as your quick footed, underneath route runners.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Let's not forget that Benjamin is a track star who also is a return man. Let's see what he does with that, because that may be his sticking point. Plus I doubt they'd give up on a draft pick that quickly and try to hide him on our PS.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
The thing is, if Benjamin catches 1/3 balls, there is a chance that the 1 could become a TD with his quickness and pure speed.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I bet he is scheduled to be a gunner on special teams.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
I doubt he replaces Cribbs as gunner. Say what you will about Cribbs, the guy is a special teams beast.

I thought Benjamin looked so quick in those clips.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

The way he opens those mitts up it kind of looks like Kellen Winslow. His hands absorb the football.

And he's a nice sized athlete. Tall but not wispy or thin. Long arms, big hands. We might have ourselves a steal here. I want to see if he can run away from DBs. If he can there is no ceiling on this guy.

Color me excited!

Just watched. Color me excited as well.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but one of our WRs needs to emerge as a legit #1 for us to have a shot this year. Gordon certainly looks the part.

I'm anxious to see a slimmer Little as well.

And I have high hopes for Norwood to emerge as really good slot guy this year. I think there is some really untapped potential there.

I don't have high hopes for Benjamin. I'm a huge Heckert fan, but I think panic set in with this pick. Wouldn't be surprised if he made the team though as we are sorely lacking in speed.

I can see MoMass getting cut, quickly getting another opportunity with a new team, then being out of the league in a couple of years.

Little, Gordon, Norwood, Benjamin, Cribbs ... put Cooper on PS.

Keep Moore and let him play some WR as well.

Lots of potential there. But you know what they say about potential. That's the scary thing with all these guys ... it's only on paper.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I doubt he replaces Cribbs as gunner. Say what you will about Cribbs, the guy is a special teams beast.

I thought Benjamin looked so quick in those clips.

You can have 2 gunners cant you?

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Gordon sure does look the part:

Training Camp Practice Footage

Our young guys look HUNGRY and FOCUSED!!

This clip just got me really excited!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Legend
Legend
C
How do you see that from that clip?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I understand what he's saying. There's been a few times in the past where you see some players, even young guys, kind of half-ass it through the motions, but something about these clips showed extra fire. You can tell just from them doing their motions, their steps, the way they come out of their breaks and finish.

Not saying it will translate to the field since it's way too early to tell, but I agree with Turk.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The picture of Big Mike shaking Gordon's hand is priceless.

He looked pretty tickled.

[Linked Image]

I
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I
Quote:

I doubt we see many drops with Gordon but that will not be the case with Benjamin. Honestly, I think Benjamin may be lucky to make the practice squad. It is hard for a guy with the dropsies to shine when you have Norwood, Saffold and Cooper that can catch. Saffold can beat press, especially deep and that could be his ticket. Cooper and Norwood I see more as your quick footed, underneath route runners.

Benjamin was shining yesterday, and I didn't see the dropsies in the video. You can't teach speed, you can teach someone how to use a jugs machine. If Benjamin is placed on the practice squad - he'll be good as gone. BTW....

>>Travis Benjamin has clearly made significant strides since offseason workouts. The fourth-round choice from Miami consistently ran routes with greater precision than he demonstrated in rookie minicamp, full-squad minicamp, and OTA workouts. He also caught everything that came his way, and the speedster showed even greater explosiveness after getting the ball in his hands.

Vic Carucci - ClevelandBrowns.com

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
That is fantastic news. The kid has a world of talent but in Miami he couldn't catch. His routes weren't much to talk about either. It would be great for the Browns if he does come on, but he will have some stiff competition and he must catch the ball. I think the browns would love to have him on the outside with gordon and open up the slot for Little with his size and athleticism.

We need some speed on the outside to open up the inside for Richardson.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What else would you expect from Vic Carucci ?

Legend
Legend
Let's hope it continues to show up like this with the vets on the field, pads on, and full contact.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Benjamin will be fine. My biggest concern for him is durability.. I saw a clip where he was BLASTED against NC. With his small frame, he'll have to bulk up a tad to be able to endure those AFC North hits..

I
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I
Quote:

I think the browns would love to have him on the outside with gordon and open up the slot for Little with his size and athleticism.

I hope its like that from Day 1. Maybe we'll see some effective play action passes this year.

Is it the preseason already?!? I need to watch this in action.

Legend
Legend
And he is smooth. Catch, turn, and run is silk. Three things we have lacked at WR. The ball is there too. The little bits I saw impressed me!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I saw a clip where he was BLASTED against NC. With his small frame, he'll have to bulk up a tad to be able to endure those AFC North hits..

Not to worry, Weeden will never allow him to get hit.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Yea but he will be working with the 2nd team in preseason and Colt will probably get him killed.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Hopefully that problem is resolved before we start playing games or even start the heavy hitting in camp.

I hope I wake up in the morning to find he is no longer on the team.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I dont think he could catch a ball against his body if you asked him to.
The guy has hands!!!!

Well....reality is that is a limited clip with a few highlights. Do you think they are going to show us the clips where the ball is doinking off of his chest?

I do like how he catches with his hands, though in the clips we did see. I always remember Braylon. Tall, fast, rangy, can go up and get it. Only problem was, he always went up and got it, even if it was thrown at his damn chest. He would jump up. For everything. Anything higher than his thighs. Used to drive me nuts. Just put your hands up and catch it naturally.

But I'm curious to see what he does with a guy lined up across from him. And we have one of the best in Haden.....I think watching that match up if it happens and hearing Joe's assessment could be telling.

You're right, and I'm normally a Debbie Downer but that video wasn't bad kool aid. I'm feeling the sudden rush of optimism.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
(In the Training Camp Video) Still seen a pass that was thrown behind the receiver (Gordon), but he still caught it easily. Hopefully it wasn't Weeden.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Really....you know even the best qbs do that from time to time. Especiallh early in camp. Trust me.....all of them do.
Wow !

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Nice report from today's practice. Mitchell seems to be struggling quite a bit.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=2281

Eyes on Berea 7-27-12

By: Will Burge

The good, the bad, and the ugly – The wide receiver position had a little bit of everything today in training camp. First, Mohammad Massaquoi was good. He looked smooth in QB/WR drills and received quite a bit of praise for his routes and effort from Nolan Cromwell.

Then we have the bad. Fans seem to always ask about Carlton Mitchell and why he does not play. When the second team offense was doing walk-throughs, Mitchell needed to be helped to his proper spot by Travis Benjamin. Remember, Benjamin was just selected in this year’s draft while Mitchell has been on the team for three years. Immediately after, Pat Shurmur had to help Mitchell with his positioning for a minute and it halted the offensive practice.

Josh Cooper was ugly. Despite playing college ball with Brandon Weeden, Cooper is not assured a spot on this roster and his three drops today won’t help his cause. One was a diving attempt down field, but the ball did hit his hands and those are the types of catches that can be the difference between making a roster and being cut.

Defense leading the way – At this point in training camp the defense always looks better than the offense. Today, however, the defense looked like it was filled with All-Pros. Joe Haden nearly had a diving interception off of Brandon Weeden on the first play of 11 on 11 drills. He also had a diving deflection later against Mohammad Massaquoi.

On a fade route from Weeden to Greg Little, Dimitri Patterson had blanket coverage and broke up the pass with perfect positioning.

The newest member of the Browns’ defense, Frostee Rucker, beat his man off the line and as Weeden tried to throw a screen pass, he leaped into the air and batted the pass backwards. Eric Hagg also joined the party by deflecting one pass across the middle and breaking up a swing pass to Trent Richardson.

Both kinds of energy – Today was the start of training camp and there is always a quick pace and energy but it was heightened today. The defense was very vocal and boisterous and the coaches were moving at a frenetic pace.

Pat Shurmur, on the other hand, was very fiery in his post practice press conference. He refused to take questions about the reported sale of the Browns and told reporters he would name a starting QB “on my time.” It certainly must be tough and frustrating to have this type of news come out on the first day of camp.

Legend
Legend
So Weeden is a bust?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So Weeden is a bust?

Evidently.. but on the bright side, Benjamin is a genius.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So Weeden is a bust?

I guess I must be missing something ???

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Joe Haden nearly had a diving interception off of Brandon Weeden on the first play of 11 on 11 drills.

I know this is WAY too early in camp, and I did not see the play so this could be completely unfair, but Mr. Haden needs to start catching those almost interceptions. I recall him dropping more then a couple would be picks last year. Especially for a 'shut down corner'.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So Weeden is a bust?

It was a joke based on so many of his passes being batted down and picked/almost picked... while the author was praising the defense, the poster turned it into a negative about Weeden... that's all.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

but Mr. Haden needs to start catching those almost interceptions. I recall him dropping more then a couple would be picks last year. Especially for a 'shut down corner'.

That's why he's a shutdown corner and not a slot WR...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So Weeden is a bust?

It was a joke based on so many of his passes being batted down and picked/almost picked... while the author was praising the defense, the poster turned it into a negative about Weeden... that's all.

Ah, I see someones cup is half empty

I took it to be a positive for the defense

What was I thinking.

[Linked Image]

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So Weeden is a bust?

We have the second best pass defense in all the league![/purple]

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Little
MoMass
Gordon
Benjamin
Cribbs
Norwood

book it..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Little
MoMass
Gordon
Benjamin
Cribbs
Norwood

book it..

Looks about right.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2012 Training Camp Stuff.

Link Copied to Clipboard