Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the report.

My pre-season prediction for Sheard this coming year is 13+ sacks. I think that he'll be a great learning tool for Schwartz as he develops.

My feelings about Weeds are well known, so I'm glad to read how much further along as a pure passer than last year's starter was.

And, just like Schwartz is benefiting by going up against Sheard, Weeden is benefiting by going up against a guy like Haden.

or, what we're seeing is what we're gonna get and we'll all be cussing at them by the end of Game 4

If that's the case, you're being pretty optimistic if you think it's going to take until the end of game 4.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Browns' Montario Hardesty finally healthy

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal sports writer

July 30, 2012 - 10:53 AM

BEREA: Montario Hardesty darted through gaps, changed direction with ease and broke off a few long runs Sunday morning during the Browns’ first training camp practice in full pads.

He’s finally healthy, and it shows.

“This is the best I’ve felt since I’ve been here,” Hardesty said. “This might be the best I’ve ever felt. I just want to make sure I continue to keep it like that and just continue to come out here and show up every day, and once we hit the games, show up every day. I feel like I’ve really got a lot to prove. I’ve got a chip my shoulder, and I’ve just got to go out and play every day.”

Hardesty has been plagued by misfortune since the Browns traded up to draft him in the second round (59th overall) two years ago. He suffered a torn ACL in his left knee during his first preseason game in the NFL and missed his entire rookie season. Then last year, he tore a muscle in his right calf in Week 8 and did not play in six games as he dealt with the injury.

At the end of last season, Hardesty embarked on a mission to do everything in his power to reverse the trend.

“I looked in the mirror and said, ‘What do I need to do different?’ ” Hardesty said. … “Last year was one of my worst years I have ever had playing football, just as far as how I felt, where my mindset was at and how my body felt. That was a learning year for me.”

He spent the offseason in Boca Raton, Fla., working out with about a dozen other NFL players, including Kansas City Chiefs safety and former University of Tennessee teammate Eric Berry, under the guidance of renowned trainer Tony Villani. The beaches of South Florida became their gyms. Hardesty often ran in sand twice a day to strengthen his legs.

“I was able to really go back to pushing myself,” Hardesty said. “Last year in the offseason, I couldn’t do any of that stuff. I really got back up to really being able to push my body and come back here in shape, getting ready to play football, not focused on being injured. I didn’t like how I played last year, and I didn’t like how my body felt. I just wanted to rev up what I was doing and come out ready to go.”

Hardesty also sought the advice of a nutritionist. He lost 10 pounds and now weighs about 215.

Quick on his feet

On Sunday, he displayed quickness some thought he might never regain.

“The first year you come back from an ACL, a lot of times you don’t have the explosion that you had before,” said Browns tight end Benjamin Watson, who suffered a torn ACL in 2004 as a rookie with the New England Patriots. “After about a year, it starts to come back. I think he’s getting back to his form. He’s getting comfortable. It seems like he’s trusting his knee a lot more.

“A lot of it is mental. When he tore it his rookie year, I went right to him and I said, ‘I know exactly how you feel.’ It’s the worst thing in the world to get an injury like that when you have such high hopes of coming in and contributing your rookie year. To have to wait and sit out the whole year is very tough. A lot of it is trusting the knee, trusting that you can do the things that you did before, but a lot of it is physical. Everybody’s surgery is different. Everybody responds differently to the reconstruction.”

Noticeable difference

Browns coach Pat Shurmur has noticed a difference in Hardesty, too.

“He looks healthy and fresh right now, so I think that’s helping him flash,” Shurmur said. “That’s as quick as I’ve seen him. That was as good as I’ve seen Montario look.”

Hardesty is in a battle to become the primary backup to rookie running back Trent Richardson, the No. 3 overall pick in this year’s draft.

Brandon Jackson and Chris Obgonnaya are his main competition, and it seems unlikely the Browns will keep four running backs on their roster.

Hardesty is determined to earn a significant role.

“I want to play and help this team win,” he said. “I know we drafted Trent, and Trent is a good player. I played against him in college. I watched him play in college. But at the same time, I’m ready to come out here and compete and play because that’s my mindset. I want to make sure I do everything I can to put my best foot forward and once it gets to Sundays and we have games, I’ll be out there helping my team win.”

N
Legend
Legend
N
so hard to know if his long runs are good news about him, bad news about our run defense, or just random events of training camp. so, i'm not going to try to figure it out

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns
Browns training camp: news, notes and observations from practice
By Nate Ulrich Published: July 30, 2012

browns rookie camp 41 The Browns held their fourth full-squad practice of training camp this morning. Here are some highlights:

Demanding attention

Rookie linebacker James-Michael Johnson strengthened his case to earn a starting job at the beginning of the season.

Starting strongside linebacker Scott Fujita is suspended for the first three games for his alleged role in the New Orleans Saints’ bounty scandal, and the Browns will need to find a replacement if Fujita loses his battle with the league in federal court.

“I’m not really worried about that," said Johnson, who has been practicing at both outside linebacker spots. "I’m just trying to come out here and play wherever they need me to play. If they need me to [be] the water boy, I’ll get the water. If they need me to strap up helmets, I’ll do that, too. So I’m just out here trying to play.”

Johnson, a fourth-round pick in this year’s draft, had two interceptions today in 11-on-11 drills. He also worked with the first-team defense when it switched to its goal-line personnel.

Kaluka Maiava started at weakside linebacker and Chris Gocong moved from that spot and filled in on the strong side last season when Fujita missed six games with injuries. At the end of minicamp in June, defensive coordinator Dick Jauron said he was prepared to re-insert Maiava into the starting lineup, provided Fujita’s suspension is upheld, but Johnson might be able to change Jauron’s mind if he continues to flash.

“He an interception, a couple actually,” Browns coach Pat Shurmur said of Johnson. “He looked good on goal line. The linebackers are a crew, much like the O-line and D-line, where you might say before you put the pads on that there’s all these guys that are kind of bunched up. And I think the pads then tend to separate the linebackers and what we think. And he’s had a couple good days. He really has.”

Johnson picked off a pass from quarterback Thaddeus Lewis in the first 11-on-11 session of practice. He later ended the third-team offense’s two-minute drill when he dropped back and intercepted quarterback Seneca Wallace’s pass over the middle on fourth down.

The 6-foot-1, 240-pound Johnson said he considers his coverage skills one of his strengths.

“I feel like I’m a pretty good athlete,” Johnson said. “I was just doing my job on that play [during the two-minute drill]. My job was to get back and watch the quarterback’s eyes. I think the ball got tipped, and it just bounced right to me.

“I’ve never had problems in space moving around and feeling my body against other people. I have a good sense of space, so I feel like that’s one of my stronger points.”

Another golden opportunity

Wide receiver Josh Gordon, whom the Browns picked in the second round of the NFL’s supplemental draft July 12, worked with the first-team offense when it used three-receiver sets. Gordon and Mohamed Massaquoi lined up on the outside, and Greg Little moved to the slot.

“I think that’s one way for us to get three of what we consider our better receivers on the field,” Shurmur said. “We do use a lot of wide receiver sets, and today because we were working in two minute, it probably showed up that way quite a bit, probably more than maybe some other practice.”

In other words, Gordon is on track to become a significant contributor and maybe even a starter sooner than some thought.

The 6-3, 225-pound Gordon is often targeted during practice, so he’s already had plenty of opportunities to showcase his talent in camp. He has flashed, though Shurmur said he must continue to improve to become the type of playmaker the Browns believe he can be.

“I don’t know if it’s conscious or subconscious, but a really big guy that can really catch it, things tend to find you,” Shurmur said. “But I think he’s got a long way to go in terms of learning it and playing receiver at this level. He’s made great progress to this point, but he’s got a long way to go. But he’s eager and he’s smart. He’s really very football smart, and I think that shows.”

Competition at corner

Cornerback Sheldon Brown is penciled in as a starter, but Shurmur said Buster Skrine and Dimitri Patterson could push for more playing time. Last season, Skrine played in dime packages as a rookie, and Patterson served as the team’s nickel corner.

“Sheldon’s starting right now, but I really like some of the development that I’ve seen,” Shurmur said. “I’ve talked about it. Buster is a gritty, gritty guy. Dimitri Patterson challenges, my goodness, and you could see those guys playing outside for sure.”

Brown, who’s on the verge of entering his 11th NFL season, doesn’t plan on giving any ground without a fight.

“I’m headed into this season like I’ve headed into every season,” Brown said. “I don’t know where my career got skewed to some people. I think they kinda think I just showed up and they gave me my job for 11 years. I don’t understand where that came from, so I approach every year the same. I guess they’re just going to give my job to me again or give it away or however the media wants to see that. Naw, I come to work and I let them make the business decisions. That’s how I approach the season.”

Highlights

With short-yardage, goal-line and two-minute situations at the forefront, today’s practice the most lively since camp began last week.

In goal line, the defense repeatedly stopped the offense’s ground attack. Fifth-string running back Adonis Thomas scored the lone rushing touchdown during the goal-line sessions.

The tight ends, though, had more success. Quarterback Colt McCoy connected with tight end Jordan Cameron, who flashed throughout the day, for a touchdown in the back corner of the end zone on a play-action pass. Quarterback Brandon Weeden, who continued to take the majority of the first-team reps, rolled to his right and hit tight end Benjamin Watson in the end zone with a touchdown pass.

Weeden and the first-team offense went four-and-out in the two-minute drill. McCoy and the second unit marched down the field, setting up Phil Dawson’s successful 36-yard field. The third-team offense’s drill ended with Johnson picking off Wallace.

Weeden and the first unit got another shot at the end of practice. Defensive linemen Brian Schaefering and Jabaal Sheard batted down consecutive passes, and Weeden’s third-down attempt fell incomplete. On fourth down, Weeden dumped the ball off to running back Trent Richardson, and the coaches generously granted him a first down to keep the drill alive. Weeden then completed two passes to Gordon and another to Massaquoi to set up Dawson’s successful 34-yard field goal.

Off day

The Browns don’t have practice on Tuesday, but Shurmur still expects his players to be productive during the down time.

“I expect that it’s an off day but it’s not a vacation day,” Shurmur said. “Although by rules we can’t structure anything other than treatments if they’re injured, I would anticipate that they’re gonna take care of their bodies and use it in a way that they’ll prepare themselves for practice, of course, on Wednesdays. Typically you see a lot of guys around the building on off days like I saw last year, and I would anticipate that they come in and watch extra film and there’ll be guys that try to get off their feet and do the treatment and the things you need to do with your body physically to get ready to practice the next day.”

Scrappy campers

Rookie fullback Brad Smelley and linebacker Craig Robertson briefly exchanged punches during a goal-line drill. Perhaps they were fighting for sole possession of jersey No. 47, which they both wear. In a two-minute drill, defensive end Emmanuel Stephens threw a punch at left guard Jason Pinkston, who didn’t have much time to respond because Shurmur ordered him to hustle to the line of scrimmage for the next play.

Injuries

Defensive tackles Ahtyba Rubin (pelvis) and Phil Taylor (pectoral muscle), fullback Eddie Williams, tight end Evan Moore and wide receiver Carlton Mitchell (leg) continued to sit out.
web page

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns
Transcript from news conference with Browns coach Pat Shurmur
By Nate Ulrich Published: July 30, 2012

Browns coach Pat Shurmur met with reporters today after practice. Here is a transcript from the news conference:

(Opening Statement)- “It was another good day I think. We did a lot of situational football. You saw this was the first time we did short yardage. We did goal-line and of course we ended the day with two minute. I really enjoy practicing two minute, I think it’s good for our football team. You saw there we had some winning and losing because there was good competition. The ones came out on offense and our one defense stopped them, but then they came back and the end and then got it down. The objective this time was to kick a field goal. The one-O won once and the one-D won once, and then there was good competition with the twos and threes.

Inside of that drill, I think what’s good is there’s a lot of organization and the mechanics of it are important. There’s also a lot of good conditioning in that drill because it can be tiring for those receivers running route after route at the line of scrimmage so we got a lot done there. There are plenty of mistakes in there and things that we need to clean up, and that’s why you do this stuff. It was a good practice, very competitive. You always keep your fingers crossed when you’re practicing short yardage and goal-line because all the legs are piled up and I think for the most part we were in good shape.

Now, we’ll move on to the next phase. We’ll do a little red zone the next time we practice. We’ll just keep going through the situations and building of course on the first and second down.”

(On if they are making strides to catch the ball)- “I think they are making strides catching the football. As the head coach, I’ve talked about how important it is to catch the football. Anyone you talk to will also say that. I think it’s very important and I think we are making strides.”

(On his expectations for the team with an off day tomorrow)- “It’s an off day, but it’s not a vacation day. Although, by rules, we can’t structure anything other than treatments if they’re injured, I would anticipate that they are going to take care of their bodies, and use it in a way where they’ll prepare themselves for practice on Wednesday. Typically, you see a lot of guys around the building on off days, like I saw last year.

I would anticipate that there will be some guys that come in and watch extra film. There will be guys that try to get off their feet and do the treatment and the things you need to do to your body physically to get ready to practice the next day.”

(On if he has any rules about what the players do on their off day)- “They’re off. We really went through this process last year with the off day. But it’s a little bit uncharted as training camps go prior to last season. I’ve talked about our guys being very professional and I anticipate that they’ll use their time wisely.”

(On having afternoon practices after off days this year)- “The reason for that is we will install this evening the information and the plays and the situations that we are going to do Wednesday. What we’ll do is, you have the practice in the afternoon so that we can use the morning to review and walk-through before you do it. We’ll see how it works, but I think it’s a good way to get them back in tune mentally after they’ve been off a little bit.”

(On the structure of afternoon practices)- “Two o’clock practice will feel just like this morning practice felt, it’s just flipped. In other words, we’ll do the walk-through and meeting in the morning and practice in the afternoon. Just like today, we practiced in the morning and then we meet and walk-through in the afternoon.”

(On if practice is different for him with Nolan Cromwell and Brad Childress on staff this year)- “Actually, practice isn’t much different. Last year, Mark Whipple gave the quarterbacks the plays, and I stood back and watched. With Brad (Childress) doing it, I’ve got a lot of years with Brad and I am able because for a lot of reasons - I know the team better, we’re more defined on what we’re doing offensively - I can sit back and kind of cherry pick a little bit better than I did a year ago.”

(On where Nolan Cromwell and Brad Childress come into play)- “I think they are two fine coaches, and I can really focus on other things at different times of the day, including practice, knowing that’s going to get done right.”

(On how Frostee Rucker will help the team)- “I think Frostee can pass rush, but I also think he’s thick enough to play the run. We feel like Frostee and Juqua (Parker) as veteran defensive ends will help man that right end spot. If there are situations where Jabaal (Sheard) needs a blow, of course they can fill in for him as well, not to mention all the other guys.”

(On Rucker being a load out there)- “I think he’s put on a little bit of weight, based on what I saw in the spring. It’s good weight. He’s moving around well. We liked him last year when we played against him, and that’s why we brought him here. We feel like he can play on all three downs.”

(On how did James-Michael Johnson did at practice today)- “He had an interception, a couple actually. He looked good on the goal-line. The linebackers are a crew much like the o-line and d-line, where you might say before you put the pads on that there are all these guys that are kind of bunched up. I think the pads then tend to separate the linebackers and what we think. He’s had a couple of good days, he really has.”

(On Montario Hardesty and Mohamed Massaquoi being in a similar situations this camp)- “The situation starting with last year when they both came into camp limping and limited and then they had to try to work their way into the lineup starting the preseason hurt. I think we’ll all agree that they both came into camp in shape and healthy and they were able to improve their game instead of getting themselves healthy and I think that’s important because there is a lot of learning, there’s a lot of things going on now that you can’t do during the season and you can’t do in the preseason because it’s a game you play with pads on.”

(On his eagerness to see Travis Benjamin’s speed out on the field)- “I’m very eager of course. I think he has really established himself. When you look at him you say, ‘Well okay, how is he going to be in traffic?” but he’s distinguished himself these last couple days catching the ball in traffic. There were a couple of pivots, in routes, where he’s working back to the ball where the corner was hanging on his back and he reached out in a physical way and caught the football with his hands. Some things that you need to see so I hope his development continues.”

(On the ball finding Josh Gordon and if he is more advanced than anticipated)- “I don’t know if it’s conscious or subconscious, but when you’re a really big guy that can really catch it, things tend to find you. I think he’s got a long way to go in terms of learning it and playing receiver at this level. He’s made great progress to this point, but he’s got a long way to go, but he’s eager and he’s smart. He’s really football smart and I think that shows.”

(On what Mitchell Schwartz gains from facing Jabaal Sheard and how has he been so far in camp)- “I think he’s very smart, he’s very good with his technique and of course the better the player you go against in practice, the quicker you’ll develop. Those matchups there were good. A couple of times in there today we had guys wide open and then really Mitchell did a nice job of stopping the pass rush and then Jabaal just reached up and batted the ball. He competes very well and I think he’ll benefit from playing against Jabaal for sure.”

(On is Schwartz is more ready than Gordon because he played all four years of college and Gordon missed all of last year)- “I don’t know. It’s hard to say how much further or less he has because we really haven’t put him in a game yet. He (Schwartz) came in a guy that fundamentally was pretty right and offensive linemen who know how to use their feet and hands of course can play and perform well. We’ll see.”

(On the hardest position to transfer from college to the NFL)- “We’ve talked frequently about positions that are easier or harder to play. I think they’re all hard to play personally because there are certain things you have to learn as you go through the process of the preparation. What’s hard about being an offensive tackle is who you play against. Typically they’re very dynamic pass rusher type guys. I think we all know how important pass protection is.”

(On if they would have done the situational drills they did today at the same time last year due to the lockout)- “We tried to do the drills at the same point in camp, but we didn’t do them with near the efficiency we did this year. My smile is not obvious, but I felt better about this one then I did last year.”

(On if there is a competition at cornerback)- “Sheldon is starting right now, but I really like some of the development that I’ve seen. I’ve talked about it. Buster (Skrine) is gritty, gritty guy. Dimitri Patterson challenges, my goodness and you could see those guys playing outside for sure and then Trevin Wade. I think he’s got a feel for playing the game at corner. Not to mention, lest I forget, Joe (Haden).”

(On Joe Haden saying he had an amazing season last year except for four plays)- “I think we all need to play better. I think it’s safe to assume that what we did as a team last year wasn’t good enough so he needs to be super amazing this year (joking).”

(On using Josh Gordon and Mohamed Massaquoi outside and Greg Little in the slot)- “I think that’s one way for us to get three of what we consider our better receivers on the field. We do use a lot of three wide receiver sets and today, because we were working two minute, it probably showed up that way quite a bit. Probably more than some other practice, but no, that’s a good lineup.”

(On what Jordan Cameron has improved on)- “I think just playing the game and I don’t want to sounds cliché, but you have to practice it and play it to improve at it. He was guy that didn’t play a lot of football in college, but showed us the skill and ability to be a good receiver. Now, when you line up at the end of the line of scrimmage, you have got to get used to controlling your body in blocking situations, you have to learn how to release when somebody’s basically tackling you, those types of things. Getting a feel for playing the game and I think once he gets that going I think his development will go like this.”
web page

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What did Sheard think when he had to face Joe Thomas during camp? Talk about shutting him down, lol.

LOL,, Oh yeah, I remember that. we got reports that Sheard was a dud but that was JT schooling him..

he went to the other side and cleaned up.. Went from Dud to stud..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I went to camp today and have a few notes:

Neither QB impressed me today. Weeden looked like a rookie trying to figure things out, but at least he was willing to try. There were several plays in 7 on 7 where Weeden kept looking downfield and the 4 second clock ran out before he hit the check down.

That said, you can see Weeden's talent and how he already shines above and beyond Colt. Colt was Colt today. Stuck to the safe throws. Didn't really try downfield. Travis Benjamin had a scrub DB beat by one or two steps on a go route and Colt didn't even look his way.

Biggest surprise? Hardesty. Dude showed a burst of speed to the outside on several plays.

Most exciting player? Richardson. It's almost unhuman how he stops and goes almost instantly. He's compact so he's hard to find in the line of scrimmage too (good thing).

Weeden took almost all the reps with the starters, for those keeping track at home.

Cribbs looks like he has his speed back, but I didn't see him in any offensive snaps.

I mainly focused on offense so I didn't get much of a look at defense, but without question Sheard was schooling Schwartz today.

One thing that stood out to me as a general comment: athleticism is up a few notches on this team. Several players have wheels and it was very noticeable compared to years past.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Thanks Ammo I may have to go down there Wed put an eyeball test on these guys. :-)

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

I mainly focused on offense so I didn't get much of a look at defense, but without question Sheard was schooling Schwartz today.

This is only going to make Schwartz better. The lack of talent on this team has been killing us in training camp and practice for so long. It's like these guys were playing against college players during the week and pros on Sunday. CBs probably didn't know what hit them on Sunday after practicing against the guys we've had.

Now we have Sheard vs. Thomas. Sheard vs. Schwartz. Haden vs. Gordon. Haden vs. Benjamin. Mack vs. Taylor/Rubin. Richardson vs. Entire D. DBs vs. Weeden (someone who will test them during the week so they are prepared for Sundays).

This is a great thing folks. A great thing.

Too bad it will all be going away next year.

On a slightly more positive note, the Crypt Keeper actually had nice things to say about us. How many times have the national types come through and blasted us? How many times have they said we are slow and unimaginative? This is a refreshing departure from that.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/st...-training-camps

Quote:

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills sit on different sides of Lake Erie. For a change, their fortunes are vastly different.

An easy schedule and a couple key offseason additions give Bills fans hope of possibly the first playoff season in more than a decade. In Cleveland, an unexpected ownership change could redirect what looked to be a positive turnaround of the franchise.

This is football country. Fans are loyal but frustrated. Bills fans have been sticking by their franchise, waiting for something to revive the memories of when Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith and other Bills gave them annual hopes of Super Bowls. The signing of the best free agent available in 2012, Mario Williams, shocked the league and jacked up the fans.

Browns fans still haven't recovered from Art Modell's move of the Browns to Baltimore. On Friday, news leaked that owner Randy Lerner was in negotiations to sell a majority share of the team to Steelers minority owner Jim Haslam, a move that could lead to a major overhaul of a front office that turned the roster young.

While the sun might be shining on the Bills' side of the lake, clouds and questions are lining up on the Browns' side.

Here are three observations from the Browns' training camp:

1. Going green on offense: Thanks in part to last year's Julio Jones draft-day trade, the Browns are making a bold youth movement on offense. Greg Little, Josh Gordon, Travis Benjamin, Trent Richardson and quarterback Brandon Weeden form one of the boldest renovations on offense this league has seen in years. I like the long-term prospects. Former coach Eric Mangini cleaned out what were perceived to be problems in the locker room but left the offense lacking athleticism and speed. The young Browns offense looks potentially explosive and exciting, even though it may take a year or two to become efficient. The most encouraging sign is how second-year coach Pat Shurmur is setting up the passing offense. As offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams in 2010, Shurmur had to set up mostly a three-step drop offense for then-rookie quarterback Sam Bradford. At that time, the Rams were going through receivers like a stadium goes through hot dogs. Even though the Browns' receiving corps is young, Shurmur is working in more five-step drops for Weeden, a sign of confidence in the blocking and the talent at wide receiver. Supplemental draft choice Gordon is raw, but he has the look of a future No. 1 receiver. Little, a second-round pick last year, is a good target, although he's trying to adjust to some work out of the slot. Benjamin is fast. It's a promising group.

2. The Browns believe Weeden is the real deal: Drafted at 28 years old, Weeden was one of the most discussed selections in the 2012 draft. He displays a strong arm and shows a good grasp of Shurmur's system. If the new ownership gives Weeden the chance to grow in Shurmur's offense, Weeden may be the quarterback this franchise has been seeking since it came back as an expansion team in 1999. Unfortunately, ownership changes lead to coaching changes, so Shurmur is on the hot seat in his second season. Weeden isn't, though. He's bigger and stronger than Colt McCoy, so it will be only a matter of a week or two before he wins the starting job. Baseball delayed Weeden's entry into football. He may not be a home run for the Browns, but he's at least double in first impressions.

3. The Browns will be dangerous running left: Richardson was the prize running back in this draft. Seeing him run behind left tackle Joe Thomas and left guard Jason Pinkston is a treat. Thomas is arguably the best left tackle in football, and Pinkston is developing as a guard. Richardson can run well to either side, but each carry to his left offers potential excitement. The Jones trade with Atlanta gave the Browns the draft choice they used on rookie right tackle Mitchell Schwartz. Schwartz is expected to start but like most rookies will take some time to set the proper lane for Richardson.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Too bad it will all be going away next year.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

3. The Browns will be dangerous running left: Richardson was the prize running back in this draft. Seeing him run behind left tackle Joe Thomas and left guard Jason Pinkston is a treat. Thomas is arguably the best left tackle in football, and Pinkston is developing as a guard. Richardson can run well to either side, but each carry to his left offers potential excitement. The Jones trade with Atlanta gave the Browns the draft choice they used on rookie right tackle Mitchell Schwartz. Schwartz is expected to start but like most rookies will take some time to set the proper lane for Richardson.

Most teams have gone finesse on the left side as they are looking for elite pass protectors. Most defenses are lacking in run defense as they have loaded up with elite pass rushers coming from the blind side. When you can run to either side or up the middle, you are at a huge advantage.

The right side will be our power side but it sure is nice to be able to run left as well.

I hate to tell ESPN but we selected Weeden with Atlanta's pick not Schwartz.

On Little in the slot. This is where we wanted him last year but with Robo sucking and Pashos needing constant help, we really didnt have the luxury of having him in the slot to often. I think we will see less TE staying in blocking, less fullback reps and more multiple receiver sets with Evan Moore out running routes.

I am pumped to see just how these guys look. To bad NFL network isn't showing the Browns lions game until sunday at 2AM.

Legend
Legend
Can someone at the camps do me a huge favor and watch Adonis Thomas when they get the chance? I really like the kid.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Can someone at the camps do me a huge favor and watch Adonis Thomas when they get the chance? I really like the kid.

Take a backseat...I'm driving his bandwagon already

But he won't make the 53 no matter what (only through injury ), we should be able to hide him on the PS since amazingly no NFL team offered him an UDFA contract

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Pffft no way. I loved the kid at Toledo, even if he ripped OSU to shreads

B
Legend
Legend
B
He is a interesting prospect. It's just hard for a guy like that to get any real reps to show much, and when he does, they better go well.

Unless he does something on the special teams end to stand out, the Practice Squad is probably his best hope. which isn't a bad gig. You get paid good money...like $6000 a week for the 16 games and you still have your foot in the door. Unless they go nuts, that is enough money to sustain the rest of the year to allow 100% focus on making next years team.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Lerner looking skinny, McCoy looking good
Print Comment
By Steve Doerschuk

Mike Holmgren walked Randy Lerner to the edge of the field.
Lerner kept going toward the clubhouse door. Holmgren did an about face and went back to watching practice.
Lerner looks very thin, as if he is in his third year since swearing off ice cream. He exchanged a few pleasantries with a couple of us but is very cautious about giving up important secrets.
“Gotta go work for a living,” he said before disappearing through the door.
• • •
I think Mr. Lerner is of a mind to be part of it when it turns.
That won’t necessarily be the controlling-interest part of it.
I think he’s more emotionally invested in the football team than a lot of people think.
• • •
Frostee Rucker isn’t practicing. I don’t think it’s because he was off reading his press clippings.
• • •
The best part of today’s first 90 minutes of practice was 11-on-11 red zone.
All of the work was divided between Brandon Weeden, running the ones, and Colt McCoy, rotating in after Weeden, getting a first-stringer in his set here and there.
There is a growing sense among the people that Weeden is where they should be investing their energies, since he’ll be on the field.
In one man’s eyes, McCoy looked as good or better than Weeden when it was his turn. The louder cheers, though, are going up any time Weeden gets something right.
The biggest ovation of the day came on from the 20. Weeden play faked, pump faked, then went over the middle, hitting tight end Ben Watson right on the hands at the goal line.
• • •
Pat Shurmur complimented rookie blazer Travis Benjamin the other day for the way he is catching the ball in traffic. Benjamin is having a very good day in that regard again.
He also has a knack for running away from traffic. On one red-zone play, he stopped, took off, stopped again, then took off again. He was alone in the right corner of the end zone when McCoy hit him in stride.
• • •
Heading back out to practice ...
web page

Legend
Legend
That's just crazy talk... doesn't this reporter know that McCoy can't hit a receiver in stride?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I know DeepThreat is at camp today, so I'll be curious to see what his take on things is.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

That's just crazy talk... doesn't this reporter know that McCoy can't hit a receiver in stride?

And a rookie reciever at that?

Either way we all know what the score is going to be and hopefully this will give McCoy a chance to be the backup QB.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

well, he actually underthrew him, but Benjamin didn't know what route to run, so he ran 2 different routes and ended up getting to the ball at the correct time purely by chance

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

You took the words right out of my mouth.

It's like I always say though ... neither the QB nor the WR can reach his full potential without each other.

Same Old QB ... new WR

To be continued

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 08/01/12 05:27 PM.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

well, he actually underthrew him, but Benjamin didn't know what route to run, so he ran 2 different routes and ended up getting to the ball at the correct time purely by chance

Well they did say he kept stopping and going, probably waiting for that weak throw to catch up to him.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well they did say he kept stopping and going, probably waiting for that weak throw to catch up to him.

here is the unedited script from the writer:

On one red-zone play, he stopped until he saw Colt throwing towards him, took off, stopped again when he realized how slow the ball was coming and asked the DB how the family was doing and about his 401K plan, then took off again after he got the full explanation of why a Roth IRA could be a good idea for his situation. He was alone in the right corner of the end zone when McCoy hit him in stride because the DB had gone to the sidelines to get some reading material for Benjamin on it.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I know DeepThreat is at camp today, so I'll be curious to see what his take on things is.

Few quick thoughts:

-- Weeden and Colt aren't close. Weeden's accuracy, arm strength and touch are all much better. Also, while Colt continues to dump the ball off, Weeden is actually throwing vertically. Colt threw few passes even medium distance, and one was an absolute duck.

-- Trent is put together. I know everyone is aware of this, but he seriously puts Hillis to shame.

-- Hardesty looks quick.

-- Gordon is the biggest WR I've seen at camp, and I've gone every year (minus one) since '99. He looks a little over 6'3" has a strong, thick build. His hands are massive and natural. He snatched the ball out of the air, and it sounded like the ball was simply hitting a pillow.

-- Travis Benjamin made a few nice plays and looked quick, but I'm a little worried about his hands. They don't seem very strong and he looks like he is fighting off a drop whenever he catches the ball.

-- Jordan Cameron looked FANTASTIC. He looks to have bulked up a bit, and he's showing athleticism and getting opened. He dropped one pass, but he made several nice catches and scored a few touchdowns.

-- John Hughes got some work with the first team defense at 1-tech. (I also sat next to him at Max and Erma's.)

-- Chris Gocong played SAM with Fujita at WILL.

-- Mitchell Schwartz was matched up against Jabaal Sheard for a bit, with Sheard owning him once. However, Schwartz won a few of the battles himself.

-- Usama Young looks terrible. I saw him get beat or look stupid on multiple plays. I didn't see much of Hagg, but it's easy to see why he's starting.

-- Kiante Tripp lined up at first-team DT. I wasn't really able to tell how well he played. Bad view.

-- Brad Smelley saw some time with the first team at FB. He looked good catching some passes.

-- When there were three WRs, MoMass was at the Z position (TE side), Gordon was at the X (weak side) and Little was in the slot.

All I've got for now. I'll be back tomorrow.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the updates.

In that situation, I would not have been able to resist challenging Hughes to some sort of eating contest.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the post bro. I saw the fight between Mack and Tripp on STO lol Mack was going at him like the guy tried to steal his lunch money, hmm maybe he did lol.

Legend
Legend
Thanks for the update Deep. I've grown to enjoy your updates more than the talking heads that follow this team.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns
Browns training camp: news, notes and observations from practice
By Nate Ulrich Published: August 1, 2012

The Browns held their fifth full-squad practice of training camp this afternoon. Here are some highlights:

Quietly in background

Quarterback Colt McCoy, the incumbent starter, spoke to the media for the first time since training camp started last week.

“You guys never asked for me,” McCoy told reporters. “I missed you guys.”

Yes, rookie Brandon Weeden has replaced McCoy in more than one way. Not only is Weeden taking the snaps with the first-team offense and in line to be named the starter in the near future, but he and running back Trent Richardson are also frequently propped in front of cameras as the faces of the Browns’ revamped offense.

McCoy is clearly no longer the Browns’ guy like he was a year ago, when he entered camp as the No. 1 quarterback

“Well, that doesn’t mean you don’t come out and compete and make yourself better,” McCoy said. “I’ve taken all snaps with the second group, and I’m still competing. That’s what I’m supposed to do, and I think that’s making our football team better.”

McCoy and Weeden completed several touchdown passes today during red-zone drills. Free safety Usama Young intercepted a pass from McCoy in a session of seven-on-seven, but Shurmur said McCoy has shown improvement during his second year in the West Coast offense.

“Colt’s doing great,” Shurmur said. “I think he’s continuing to improve. I’m seeing him do things in this camp that he didn’t do a year ago, and he’s getting more comfortable within our system and he’s coming to work every day and working hard. I think he’s doing a good job.

“I just think he’s more comfortable in the progressions. If it doesn’t go to No. 1 or No. 2, he’s throwing it to 3 instead of taking off and running. Those types of things -- commanding the huddle, knowing what his receivers can do and where he can put the football.”

Still, McCoy’s future has been enveloped by uncertainty. He could be moved at some point during the preseason.

“I can’t control anything other than coming out here and getting better,” McCoy said.

Standing out

One of McCoy’s touchdown passes was caught by rookie wide receiver Travis Benjamin. The 5-foot-10, 175-pound Benjamin reached in front of defensive back Emanuel Davis and grabbed the pass in the front corner of the end zone.

“Even though I might be small in size, I’ve been playing football ever since I was young. Mostly all the guys have been bigger than me, so I’ve just gotta keep that mindset that I’ve gotta play big.

“That’s all a part of football – being physical. There’s not one player on the field that’s not physical. Every play is contact, so I’m used to it. I’m more than just a fast guy.”

Shurmur agrees. Benjamin’s performance has stood out since the Browns began practicing in pads on Sunday.

“I anticipated with his natural size that he might get banged around and be less efficient, but he’s done a great job,” Shurmur said. “I think he handles the traffic pretty well, and you could see today he caught the ball in contested situations extremely well. We knew he had the skill and ability to play in this league, and at least to this point, he’s doing a good job of improving his game.”

After the Browns drafted Benjamin in the fourth round (100th overall) in April, Shurmur said he thought Benjamin could become a significant contributor as a rookie. Even though the Browns drafted rookie wide receiver Josh Gordon in the second round of the supplemental draft on July 12, Shurmur can foresee Benjamin making an impact this year.

“Absolutely,” Shurmur said. “I think both of those guys [Benjamin and Gordon], if they progress like they’re doing at the pace they’re going now, then I think they’ll be major contributors. Both those guys.”

Golden opportunity

Second-year tight end Jordan Cameron continued to shine. He caught touchdown passes from Weeden, McCoy and Seneca Wallace in red-zone drills.

Shurmur said Cameron will get ample opportunities to prove himself in preseason games.

“I think he needs to get lots of reps in the preseason games, and he will,” Shurmur said. “He’ll be a guy that can play the Y or the tight end position and then also the second tight end position in two-tight end sets. He’ll play quite a bit in the preseason for sure.”

Cameron has been working with the first-team offense in double-tight end sets while Evan Moore has been sidelined with an undisclosed injury.

Injury report

Frostee Rucker, the projected starter at right defensive end, missed practice with an undisclosed injury. Shurmur said it’s not serious.

“He won’t be out long,” Rucker said. “He missed today. He’s OK. We’ll evaluate him. He’ll be back soon.”

Moore, defensive tackles Ahtyba Rubin (pelvis) and Phil Taylor (pectoral muscle), fullback Eddie Williams (undisclosed), wide receiver Carlton Mitchell (leg) continued to sit out.

Shurmur said Moore will be back soon. He said Williams “probably won’t be out there for a while.”

Filling in

With Rubin out, defensive tackle Kiante Tripp took his spot with the first-team defense. Brian Schaefering filled that role in previous practices.

When asked what Tripp did to earn reps with the first unit, Shurmur said, “He maybe bought somebody lunch. I don’t know.”

Meanwhile, Marcus Benard replaced Rucker at right end with the first-team defense.

“He’s doing a good job,” Shurmur said of Benard. “He’s way further ahead this year than he was last year. Remember, he tried to put on a bunch of weight. In my opinion, it was not good weight based on his frame. He was in much better shape when he reported [to camp this year], and I think he’s doing a good job. Again, preseason games will be important for him as well.”
web page

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Thanks!

I really do appreciate the in person feedback from posters who go to TC.

Aloha!

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If anyone wants updates during practice tomorrow, check my hobbies in my profile.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thanks man. Given the style of practice, we're you able to pick up anything good or bad about Hughes?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Was Gordon exclusively at the X?

Surprised to see him there as that's usually your money outside threat. Little was entrenched there all of last year. Surprised they're moving him around.

That's a pretty big story if true.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Browns notebook: Browns show promise in red zone
By Steve Doerschuk
CantonRep.com staff writer

BEREA —

“Red zone!” a coach yelled.

A buzz rose in the big training-camp crowd as the Browns gathered on the southeast practice field.

Cornerback Joe Haden lined up over wideout Mohamed Massaquoi 20 feet from the gallery ropes. Massaquoi took off, straining to get open during a 20-yard run down the right sideline.

Haden wore Massaquoi like a diving suit. Suddenly, Massaquoi stopped. Haden lunged backward. Brandon Weeden fired a strike to the wide-open target.

“You can do that when you push somebody hard enough,” Haden groused.

No officials. No flag. No protest from coaches. Touchdown.

Red zone!

Last year, it was more like ... red zone? What’s the red zone.

Cleveland made fewer trips into the red zone — inside the 20-yard line — than any other AFC team in 2011.

The Browns set up shop there a miserable 31 times. Next worst was Kansas City at 36. New England led the league at 72.

The Browns were tied for the worst mark in the NFL, with the Rams.

Not only did the Browns fail to reach the red zone. They didn’t score once they got their. Only the Chiefs, Rams and 49ers scored a lower percentage of touchdowns once reaching the red zone.

These items are big reasons the Browns drafted the rocket-armed Weeden.

One of the biggest cheers in camp Wednesday came when Weeden set up at the 20 and made a play-action fake. Weeden pump faked then looked to the middle of the field, where he threw a bullet over the middle to tight end Benjamin Watson.

Touchdown.

Now ... can he do that in a game?

‘This year’s project’

Browns president Mike Holmgren says he has told rookie wide receiver Josh Gordon, “You are my special project.”

Alluding to marijuana use and issues that marred Gordon’s college career, Holmgren said, “He’s a good player who got gummed up a little bit. You talk to him, and he’s a really good kid.”

Holmgren says he has told Gordon he will not let him stray from a regimen that will keep him in good stead as his NFL career unfolds.

He admitted it is ultimately up to the player to take care of his own business.

D-line depleted

Three defensive line starters — tackles Phil Taylor and Ahtyba Rubin and end Frostee Rucker — all missed Wednesday practice.

Taylor will miss the first month or two of the season. Rubin is recovering from minor surgery. Rucker is new to the injury list.

He’ll be back soon,” head coach Pat Shurmur said, avoiding any details of Rucker’s problem.

Tickets going fast

Single-game seats went on sale Wednesday. Later in the day, the Browns announced that home games against the Eagles on Sept. 9, the Bills on Sept. 23 and the Steelers on Nov. 25 are sold out.

The team also announced that less than 1,000 seats remain for the Oct. 14 game against the Bengals.

To inquire about tickets, log on to www.clevelandbrowns.com or call 800-745-3000 or 800-943-4327.

Extra points

• The Browns will conduct single practices today and Friday mornings. Both are scheduled to run from 8:45 to 11:15.

• Former Browns running back Greg Pruitt was escorted around practice by ex-Browns teammate Doug Dieken. At one point, Dieken introduced Pruitt to Holmgren.

• Bernie Kosar, who knows Holmgren well, also took in Wednesday’s practice. Kosar says the biggest thing for Weeden will be to prove an ability to read defenses.

• Colt McCoy says he knows the offense much better than he did last year. Several players have complimented him for his reading of defenses in camp so far. web page
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Cribbs ready to roll as full-time specialist again
BEREA —

For the first time in five years, there is no ambiguity with Joshua Cribbs’ role on the Cleveland Browns.

Nor is there any talk about him playing wildcat quarterback, running back, or full-time wide receiver, for that matter. Cribbs is returning to his former spot as Cleveland’s special teams specialist, playing on all of its return and coverage units.

And he needs to be good.

“I’m going to rededicate myself to scoring touchdowns on kickoffs and punt returns,” Cribbs said Wednesday, “because that’s what our coaches want me to do. My role is changing again. They want more production out of special teams, so I’ll give it to them the best I can.”

Cribbs, 29, already owns the NFL record with eight career kickoff return touchdowns — one more than Seattle’s Leon Washington — and averaged 25.0 yards per runback last season. The two-time Pro Bowl selection also ranks fifth in league history with 11 total return touchdowns, most recently taking back a punt 84 yards at Baltimore last Dec. 24.

With that kind of ability on a team that annually needs a jolt offensively, Cribbs was installed into the offense by three Browns coaches: Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, and even Pat Shurmur last year. They gradually removed the 6-foot-1, 215-pounder from their coverage units, and gave him a chance with the offense.

The results? Not bad. Over the last four seasons, Cribbs logged 111 rushes for 639 yards, made 86 receptions, threw 11 passes, scored nine touchdowns, and started 26 games at wide receiver. The former Kent State quarterback’s production peaked in 2011, in fact, when he tied for the team lead with four receiving touchdowns and made a career-high 41 catches.

But it’s time go back to the future, perhaps. Less than two weeks into camp, Shurmur has already shot down any chance Cribbs will better those numbers this fall.

“Josh is a special teams player that plays receiver,” Shurmur said flatly. “He’s a special teams player.”

Cribbs has long expressed a desire to be an every-down player, but he read the handwriting on the wall during the offseason. Browns general manager Tom Heckert and Shurmur repeatedly spoke of Greg Little as a potential No. 1 receiver, then drafted Baylor’s Josh Gordon in the second round of the supplemental draft.

Also, veteran Mohamed Massaquoi and rookie Travis Benjamin have received significantly more snaps in camp, leaving Cribbs to take leftover reps while practicing in the return game.

“I’ll have less of a role on offense maybe,” Cribbs said. “But I’ve just got to do my part on special teams and nobody will know the difference.”

It’s not a bad school of thought. Cribbs, keep in mind, has 12,343 all-purpose yards in seven years with Cleveland.

“I came into this league scoring on returns and getting yards for the offense,” he said. “If that’s how I have to do it again, then so be it.”

Making his reduced role more interesting is Cribbs’ contract, which expires at the end of the season and pays him a base salary of just $1.4 million. Shurmur referred to him as “a player on the back nine of (his) career” earlier in the week, further driving home just how tenuous life in the NFL is for a veteran.

The paycheck is a surprise in some circles. Especially when you consider that Cribbs is one of the most popular athletes in Cleveland. But that status doesn’t hold much currency at the negotiating table.

“It does put more pressure on me this year, but I love it,” said Cribbs, who lives in Northeast Ohio year-round and is a courtside fixture at Cleveland Cavaliers games. “This is my destiny, just like the last time I had to play for a contract and when I had to make the team as (an undrafted) rookie.

“Last year, I showed everyone what I could do at wide receiver. Before that, I did what I could to establish myself as a premier return man. I’ll do it again this time.

“Get ready for Act 3.”

NOTES: QB Colt McCoy made his first public comments since camp opened, saying no reporters had asked to interview him until Wednesday. First-round draft choice Brandon Weeden has worked with the Browns’ top offense during camp and is expected to be named the starter soon. “I’ve taken all snaps with the second group and I’m still competing,” said McCoy, who went 4-9 in 13 starts last season. “That’s what I’m supposed to do. (This situation) doesn’t mean you don’t come out and compete and make yourself better.” ... DE Frostee Rucker sat out practice with an undisclosed injury, but Shurmur said he would be back soon, along with TE Evan Moore (undisclosed) and DT Ahytba Rubin (pelvic muscle surgery). The coach added that FB Eddie Williams (undisclosed) will be out “a while.” ... Second-year TE Jordan Cameron caught touchdown passes from Weeden, McCoy and third-stringer Seneca Wallace during a red-zone drill. . Scouts from the Canadian Football League’s Toronto Argonauts and Saskatchewan Roughriders were on hand. . Attendance at practice was 2,774, giving the Browns a four-day total of 12,254. web page

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Holmgren, McCoy on Browns' training camp hot seat

By Steve Doerschuk
CantonRep.com staff writer

BEREA —

“It’s a crazy business sometimes,” Mike Holmgren said.

The heat was on in Berea.

The most sultry practice of training camp had just ended when two Browns on very different hot seats shared their points of view.

In the shade of a tent along the tall fence on the west end of the team compound, Holmgren passed another afternoon of not knowing how his presidency might play out under a new owner.

He is asked nonstop how things are going with the impending sale of the team.

“We’re trying,” he said, “to make it business as usual.”

Holmgren, his head coach, his business chiefs, his general manager, and bunches of others are here because he is — and he is here, as he often says, because of Randy Lerner.

It’s a training camp full of Holmgren guys. At some point, Holmgren indicated, he will talk to Jimmy Haslam and Haslam’s people if Lerner sells.

Holmgren will go to bat for his men when sits down in the Haslam camp. He will do it from the perspective of a man who has seen a million people hired and fired in the NFL. He knew the drill long before he re-hired Eric Mangini one year and canned him the next. He knows nothing is guaranteed for his biggest hires, Tom Heckert and Eric Mangini.

“Ultimately, with all of the football people, they’re judged on the record,” Holmgren said. “It’s always been that way.”

Browns fans — legions of them are showing up for training camp, emanating noise and hunger — care mostly about how the team looks, not who signs the checks.

They want answers to football questions, not terms of sale.

Fifty yards from the shade where Holmgren spoke, one of the key football players linked to Holmgren talked to writers in broad daylight.

It was Colt McCoy, who is on the verge of losing his job to a new player also linked to Holmgren, Brandon Weeden.

Holmgren’s hot seat involves not knowing how he might fit with Jimmy Haslam. He is not squirming in the chair. He has had made millions in a long career that might land him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

A glorious exit would be nice but is not essential to his legacy.

McCoy’s hot seat is much less comfortable. He has not enjoyed NFL success. What happens this year will set a tone for his chance to break through.

McCoy looked good in Wednesday’s practice. He threw a pick to safety Usama Young in a 7-on-7 drill. In 11-on-11 work, though, he seemed sharper than Weeden — albeit running the second-string offense while the rookie directed the “ones.”

There was McCoy hitting Jordan Norwood right on the hands, in stride, on a beautifully timed spiral. There was McCoy leading rookie Travis Benjamin perfectly on a slant. There he was sailing a strike to Josh Cooper on a fade in the end zone.

Notice that none of the receivers is a first-stringer. Weeden has been getting almost all of the action with those “ones.” McCoy doesn’t like it, but he is keeping any criticism to himself.

How can this be a competition if McCoy isn’t getting to compete with the first string?

“Those would be better questions for Pat and Brad (Childress),” McCoy said, glancing upstairs where the head coach and offensive coordinator share secrets.

Back in the shade, Holmgren addressed the issue. One can only wonder if his analysis would cause McCoy to roll his eyes.

“Right now,” Holmgren said, “I think it’s a healthy competition at quarterback. Colt is having a good camp. Seneca (Wallace) is completing balls.”

Holmgren had talked about Weeden before his nods to McCoy and Wallace.

“It’s clear to anyone who watches practice,” Holmgren said, “that he can really throw the ball.”

The words “maturity” and “bright future” rolled off the president’s tongue. At times in the past, Holmgren says, he has seen quarterbacks arrive in camp and quickly expose themselves as overmatched.

“That’s not the case with Brandon,” Holmgren said.

Training camp is a week old. McCoy is saying he will keep plugging away, control what he can control. Weeden is warming up for his first NFL start, on Aug. 10 at Detroit.

The ownership whirl raises a question few would have asked a few months ago. Who will be with the Browns longer? Holmgren? Or McCoy?

“I want to make this about the team,” McCoy said, “not me.”

It’s hard to believe Holmgren is staying out of this, although he has said a thousand times something he repeated Wednesday: “I’m not coaching any more.”

One can’t say there are no Browns fans any more, despite the four-year record of 18-46, despite the tidal wave boat-rocking of an ownership change. At least, the team announced Wednesday that three of the eight regular-season home games (Eagles, Bills, Steelers) sold out the first day tickets went on sale.

“The fans are tremendous,” Holmgren said. “Let’s give ‘em some hope.”

If hope blooms into wins, the president said, finding tickets, not selling tickets, will be “the problem.”

Meanwhile, the process of trying to sift through reality in the summer heat of Berea marches on.

The 2011 Browns lost nine of their last 10 games. McCoy more than likely lost his job to a draft pick.

Midway through practice, McCoy was rushed hard. He had to roll right. He couldn’t find a receiver. He had to throw the ball away. It sailed out of the end zone.

“C’mon, Colt!” he muttered to himself as he came to a stop.

C’mon? And do ... what?
web page

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Thanks man. Given the style of practice, we're you able to pick up anything good or bad about Hughes?

Not really. Didn't have a great view. Hoping to pick up more on the linemen tomorrow.

Quote:

Was Gordon exclusively at the X?

Surprised to see him there as that's usually your money outside threat. Little was entrenched there all of last year. Surprised they're moving him around.

That's a pretty big story if true.

From what I noticed, yes. However, I don't recall seeing (or paying attention to) the wide receiver positions when there were only two wideouts. They apparently like Little out of the slot, which makes sense to me, given his ability to break tackles.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
We had Little in the slot last year but Robo was sucking so bad and Pashos sucked so bad that we needed the extra TE in to help block and we needed more athleticism at receiver which resulted in Moore getting no playing time and Little moved out wide.

I am very intrigued by the prospects of this receiving corps especially with Little working in the slot against the oppositions 3rd corner or against a safety. Now they may all suck but physically that is some tough matchups especially with Benjamin, Gordon and Little. Remember how Chilly liked using TO in the slot when in Phily, he was a nightmare matchup in those days against safeties or nickel dbs.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

With Brandon Weeden and now Josh Gordon, the Browns' red zone woes could fade away
Aug 02, 2012 -- 12:26am
By Tony Grossi

The Morning Kickoff …

Return of the fade: I saw Brandon Weeden take a three-step drop inside the 20-yard line, float the artsiest pass an NFL quarterback can make to the left corner of the end zone, watched Josh Gordon soar above a defender, higher than I’ve seen a Browns receiver leap, snatch the ball in extremely large, soft hands attached to arms long as vines, and land his feet lightly in bounds – tap tap -- like an Olympic gymnast.

And I closed my eyes and I swear I heard the great Pat Summerall calling the play.

“Weeden. Gordon. Touchdown.”

I see this fade pass being unstoppable some day. Like it was at Oklahoma State for Weeden and Justin Blackmon. Twelve of the pair’s 39 career touchdowns as OSU teammates were perfectly-thrown Weeden lobs to Blackmon on the fade pass.

“Me and Blackmon just had a knack,” Weeden told me. “We never practiced it. We just went and I’d throw it to the back of the corner and he’d catch it. I’d throw to a spot, he’d use his body. It was like clockwork. It was easy for us.

Red zone hopes: Here’s the thing: Blackmon is 6-1 and 210 pounds with a 35-inch vertical jump. Gordon is 6-3, 225 pounds, with a 36-inch vertical. A Browns source told me the team evaluated Gordon as a better NFL receiver prospect than Blackmon, who was the fifth pick overall of the 2012 draft by Jacksonville.

“Gordon’s really good at it,” Weeden said of going up for the fade pass, or lob. “He’s bigger than Blackmon. So he can use his body to shield those guys off.”

Gordon said, “The fade route is something I had a lot of practice on, well, since middle school. I was the tallest wide receiver all the time, so (it’s) just go and get it.”

Having viewed an Oklahoma State-produced highlight video of every Weeden-to-Blackmon career touchdown play, I asked coach Pat Shurmur at the June minicamp if he was excited about the prospect of re-introducing the fade pass to the Browns’ red-zone play repertoire.

At the time, he said, “We tried to throw fades early in the (2011) year and we didn’t hit on them on a percentage high enough. The slant (pattern) means a lot more if (opponents) have to defend the fade, and in our offense we like to throw slants.”

Shurmur seemed to be saying that now that he had a quarterback who could execute the pass, yes, he’d love to revisit the option of the fade.

And that was before the arrival of Gordon.

Get it done: I contend that if an NFL team can’t execute a simple fade pass in the end zone, it can’t be competitive.

How many times in the last 10 years have we seen the Browns, stationed inside the opponent’s 20-yard line, throw short of the end zone? It is maddening, deflating and repulsive, really, to see dump-offs to backs or tight ends stopped short of the goal line time and time again. Three points instead of seven invariably means another loss is in the offing.

“I think the fade, you know, it can be a good play if you have a guy that is a mismatch size-wise or what-not,” Shurmur said. “It’s something I think is important to have in your red zone package, but from that standpoint, too, they can take that away and that’s why you have all of the route combinations.

“Just by his natural size, (Gordon) should have the potential to be a pretty good fade runner.”

I say practice it five minutes a day, minimum, and use it, and just dare defenses to stop it. When executed properly, the fade is a low-risk, high-reward little pass. The quarterback lofts the ball where only the receiver can catch it. The worst that can happen is an incompletion out of the end zone.

From what I saw on Wednesday, this should be a staple of the Browns’ red zone package.

Weeden. Gordon. Touchdown.

Interesting the Browns had Gordon rated higher than Blackmon, no wonder they spent a 2nd pick on the guy.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Interesting the Browns had Gordon rated higher than Blackmon, no wonder they spent a 2nd pick on the guy.

Eh, if that's even true.

Blackmon was so good at the fade that he didn't even have to jump. His body positioning along with Weeden's lobs were perfection.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Eh, if that's even true.

Blackmon was so good at the fade that he didn't even have to jump. His body positioning along with Weeden's lobs were perfection.

It's kind of funny how we beg for news, then we get news, we don't believe it.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Eh, if that's even true.

We will probably never know the truth. One is here and the other is not. ((shrug)).

One thing I would like to add on this is that Gordon has hands like a catchers mitt ... they engulf the football.

With all of the hoopla over Gordon ... I really think that Little is poised to be a big factor and we will see his fantasy league value sore, because he can turn a 7 yard slant into a 20 yard + run on any given play with Gordon drawing attention deep.

[Linked Image]

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Training camp notes from yesterday 8-1 weds

what i took away:

-More fans than i can remember on a weekday, and i have been coming since Marty Schottenheimer was here.

-Practice was very organized and focused. It hasn't always been that way.

-Trent Richardson is the real deal. You could see it every time he touched the ball. VERY quick on the cut, but also patient. Not only that he seems to have fired all the other running backs up, too. Hardesty looked quick, and Jackson and Ogbonnaya did too. Was hoping to see Adonis Thomas but didn't see him run at all. He did I think, just couldn't see his moves.

-Gordon is the real deal, too. Weeden threw one of those "only you can catch it" balls in the "end zone" (near the crowd) and Gordon soared to get it, then looked down carefully to make he landed in bounds. Weeden then threw basically the same pass to Cameron, not quite as good of a pass but very catchable, and he dropped it. Otherwise Cameron looked good.

-Dawson is as good as ever. He was not only making everything pretty much down the middle every time, he was trying to hit the cameraman above the goal posts and coming close every time.

-Ben Watson looked in shape. I was thinking last year he was nearing the end of his career, but he looked like a rookie. I was surprised at how young he looked. Weeden rocketed one down the middle, and Ben just caught it gently in his hands. I saw why he was an all pro in New England.

-nobody really stood out on the D. It was pretty obvious that Holmgren trusts Ray Rhodes and Dick Jauron with that side of the ball. He was watching the offense intently though. Not coaching, just watching.

-Sheard looked like a beast. Very quick. Hughes also looked good-like he was hungry to play.

-Marecic looked kinda lost, Smelley (who is taller and rangier than i expected for a fullback) looked better.

-Schwartz looked ok, he's definitely an upgrade, but he was sucking wind and hanging around the water for a while.

-i think Shugarts (OSU guy) will make the team. Generally both lines looked pretty good.

-Seneca looked like the odd man out in the QB rotation. Both rep-wise and mentally like he knew something.

-Massaquoi looks good and got a fair amount of reps as did Norwood and Little. Little dropped one he should have caught, crappy sideline pass from Weeden but pros have to make that catch.

-Weeden throws low balls across the middle. Should minimize INT's but may be a liability in the NFL since the DL's are so big.

-Cribbs looks fast and shifty. Thats good news!

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2012 Training Camp Stuff.

Link Copied to Clipboard