Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm 35, and they paddled back in elementary school when I was in it.

I agree, you can't touch a kid anymore without the abuse word being thrown around. It's BS. Kids can get away with pretty much anything.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

As a bus monitor, doesn't she have the right to punish these kids?

Like as in, letting the principal know what is happening on this bus?

You verbally assault a teacher or someone like this, boom hope you didn't have plans on saturday.

What's the point of having someone monitor the bus if they're just gonna sit there and take it from those little bastards?

Precisely. I think some are using a false dichotomy, i.e. you have to either physically punish the kids or you have to sit there and take it. There is a third option--letting these kids know that if they continue to behave in such a way, they will be suspended from school. I disagree with whoever said kids don't care about that. Most of them do care. They're malicious, but they are not stupid. I'm assuming a bus monitor has the authority to make this happen, so why didn't this woman?

Obviously, having this option is not necessarily going to get the kids' attention, though. For those who actually watched the video or have seen this woman on tv, you cannot tell me that this is a woman who should be doing this job. At one point in the video, she says "I can't wait till this year is over." Are you serious? Is this an ongoing problem? If I was one of these brainless tv commentators, I'd ask her if she thought that this incident was inevitable or if it could have been avoided. Then I would ask her how she thought it could have been avoided. I bet you anything she would have been dumbfounded, as would the vast majority of the viewing public who have been so swept away by superficial moral indignation that they fail to miss the most important fact about this whole affair....this woman is the authority figure, and she failed (and apparently, has repeatedly failed) to use her authority.

After watching that video, am I the only one who feels like this woman was on the same level as these kids mentally? I don’t mean their sadistic level, but if I had only read a transcript of those 10 minutes, I would have assumed that these kids were harassing another one of their classmates. For me, that was the most painful part of the video—watching this bus monitor who appears to have the mind of a child. At one point they ask her for her address so that they can egg her house. As an adult, what would your response have been? Perhaps something about expulsion or the police. What was her response? She yells, “Yeah right!” as if she was a middle schooler defending herself against her peers.

I know why my opinion on this matter is so inconceivable to some. It appears that I am “blaming the victim,” that classic cliché of political correctness. What I am trying to argue is that this woman has been turned into a victim by both the media and most of the American public, and by so doing, she has been absolved of all responsibility for the outcome of the incident. Where is the indignation over the fact that an authority figure acts like a child at a moment when she should be acting like an adult? Why is it that the people in this thread who lament the lawlessness that is so prevalent in the schools and on the school busses defend the behavior of a bus monitor that encourages such lawlessness?

Of course, I have the answer to this question. As I have already said, the superficial moral indignation and cheap sentimentality that has poured forth on behalf of this "sweet elderly lady" has blinded most to the truth that what is really happening here is a celebration of weakness and capitulation to the deterioration of adult authority.

Legend
Legend
I, like others come from the era where paddling was acceptable. It simply worked.

I'm sure every school had one, we had Mr. Wheelbarger, he taught mechanical drawing to 7th/8th graders. At the first of the year there would always be one kid, the first malcontent to step up, he had the rest of us move out of the way then one swat in front of everyone. I swear the man just flicked his wrist and that kid dropped. No paddle with holes in them, that wasn't allowed and wasn't needed by Mr. Wheelbarger. That was the only kid he swatted all year.

Simple and effective.

Then you had my 8th grade substitute Spanish teacher. The women couldn't hit. We'd act up just so we could get hit by her then laugh. That class was totally out of control and I didn't learn a damn thing that year.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

As a bus monitor, doesn't she have the right to punish these kids?

Like as in, letting the principal know what is happening on this bus?

You verbally assault a teacher or someone like this, boom hope you didn't have plans on saturday.

What's the point of having someone monitor the bus if they're just gonna sit there and take it from those little bastards?

Precisely. I think some are using a false dichotomy, i.e. you have to either physically punish the kids or you have to sit there and take it. There is a third option--letting these kids know that if they continue to behave in such a way, they will be suspended from school. I disagree with whoever said kids don't care about that. Most of them do care. They're malicious, but they are not stupid. I'm assuming a bus monitor has the authority to make this happen, so why didn't this woman?

Obviously, having this option is not necessarily going to get the kids' attention, though. For those who actually watched the video or have seen this woman on tv, you cannot tell me that this is a woman who should be doing this job. At one point in the video, she says "I can't wait till this year is over." Are you serious? Is this an ongoing problem? If I was one of these brainless tv commentators, I'd ask her if she thought that this incident was inevitable or if it could have been avoided. Then I would ask her how she thought it could have been avoided. I bet you anything she would have been dumbfounded, as would the vast majority of the viewing public who have been so swept away by superficial moral indignation that they fail to miss the most important fact about this whole affair....this woman is the authority figure, and she failed (and apparently, has repeatedly failed) to use her authority.

After watching that video, am I the only one who feels like this woman was on the same level as these kids mentally? I don’t mean their sadistic level, but if I had only read a transcript of those 10 minutes, I would have assumed that these kids were harassing another one of their classmates. For me, that was the most painful part of the video—watching this bus monitor who appears to have the mind of a child. At one point they ask her for her address so that they can egg her house. As an adult, what would your response have been? Perhaps something about expulsion or the police. What was her response? She yells, “Yeah right!” as if she was a middle schooler defending herself against her peers.

I know why my opinion on this matter is so inconceivable to some. It appears that I am “blaming the victim,” that classic cliché of political correctness. What I am trying to argue is that this woman has been turned into a victim by both the media and most of the American public, and by so doing, she has been absolved of all responsibility for the outcome of the incident. Where is the indignation over the fact that an authority figure acts like a child at a moment when she should be acting like an adult? Why is it that the people in this thread who lament the lawlessness that is so prevalent in the schools and on the school busses defend the behavior of a bus monitor that encourages such lawlessness?

Of course, I have the answer to this question. As I have already said, the superficial moral indignation and cheap sentimentality that has poured forth on behalf of this "sweet elderly lady" has blinded most to the truth that what is really happening here is a celebration of weakness and capitulation to the deterioration of adult authority.

Mantis, if you punish a kid today, you better have a written permission from the parents, supervision by the police and Child services, a judges order and cameras to record the punishment,, or you are just gonna get fired.

Bus Monitors are there to more or less assist with unruly kids.. But stuff like this is, for some damned stupid reason, not considered to be dangerous or life threatening.

And it wasn't, but that doesn't make it right.

Trying to diminish the role or power of a bus driver or bus monitor to prove a point isn't the right way to go.

These kids were disrespectful,, if those were my kids, they'd get their butts paddled when they got home, they'd get grounded and they'd loose other previlages that they take for granted.

And I'd not give a damn what child services says.. I'd boot thier butts out of my house as well..

We need parents to quit treating school as a day care center and more like a place thier kids are sent to learn. And when the kids act up, they need to be set straight.

I'd let them paddle my kid.. I'd want to know, and then I'd give my kid another butt whopping when he/she got home.

Now keep in mind, I"m not talking about physically kiling these kids.. should it physicall hurt, YES, it should, but it should NOT endanger thier lives. It shoud embarrass them more than anything.

Call me old fashion,, I'll thank you for that.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

Trying to diminish the role or power of a bus driver or bus monitor to prove a point isn't the right way to go.

I think I agree with most of what you said, assuming you are just speaking in general. Who is trying to prove a point by diminishing the power of the bus monitor, and what is that point? If you are referring to the lack of discipline that exists today, then I agree with you.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I think I agree with most of what you said, assuming you are just speaking in general. Who is trying to prove a point by diminishing the power of the bus monitor, and what is that point? If you are referring to the lack of discipline that exists today, then I agree with you.

Not sure if it was you or not, but there was comments about what value a Bus Monitor has..

The answer is, it's a second adult so that the driver can concentrate on driving.

If they serve no other purpose, they are worth it.

As for admonishing a kid for wrong actions,, in todays world, the adult is automatically to blame. Parents today don't seem to get it. teachers, Bus drivers and the like aren't baby sitters. they are there to instruct your children or get them safely to and from school.

but it seems today, if a kid goes wrong, it's the teachers fault. In my day, it was the parents job to teach the child behavior. The school taught Math and science etc.

You could not pay me enough to be a teacher today.. they get beat on by adminstration, they have their unions attacked, they work like dogs for low pay and then, if a kid acts up and they respond to it, they are instantly in the wrong.

thanks, but no thanks.. I wouldn't be a teacher... no freakin way.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

Not sure if it was you or not, but there was comments about what value a Bus Monitor has..

Not me. I do see the value in a bus monitor. My point is that I don't see the value in this particular bus monitor due to her incompetence. Someone else should have been doing that job.

Quote:

but it seems today, if a kid goes wrong, it's the teachers fault

Ok, I'll compromise on this point. It wasn't ALL the bus monitor's fault. There are many reasons why that whole thing happened. Now, can you agree with me that this bus monitor does need to take some personal responsiblity for how out-of-hand that situation got?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I don't know how old you are King. I"m guessing no more than 35. (Probably less) But I'm 60.. so I was in grade school and high School in the 60's.

I'd assume less.. I'm around 35 and I got spanked with a paddle by the prinicipal for having a snowball fight on the way home from school and got my report card wet. Though, as I did go through school, the threat of the paddle did go away. The next closest odd punishment i saw was from my HS choir teacher who had a box of prechewed gum that you had to hold if you were caught chewing gum in his class, which would now be banned for being a biological hazard.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

My point is that I don't see the value in this particular bus monitor due to her incompetence. Someone else should have been doing that job.

How do you figure she's incompetent? What the heck was she supposed to do. Lash out at the kids? I promise, had she done that, this would have ended up with her being the bad guy here.

This is a simple case of kids acting up.. they all do from time to time, but these kids were mean.. Just mean. And it starts with Mom and Dad.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Mantis is saying that the bus monitor didn't say "If you keep this up you will be suspended, have detentions, have your parents called into the school, and have saturday schools".

It is basically her job that say the above sentence and she didn't do it.

If anyone is interested in it. There are a lot of opinions in the psychology of bullying field that focus largely as the problem being at least partially with the victim. The basic idea being that bullying is a process of victim selection, and by not acting the way a victim does you'll basically rarely be bullied. This woman didn't know how to defend herself verbally and I can sympathize with why children would choose to pick on her. Due to her lack of ability in handling verbal abuse it is fair to say she is pretty bad at her job. (its basically the one requirement of the job)

I'm currently pondering the idea of paddling still so I'll get back on that at some point. I currently have mixed thoughts about it

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Quote:

My point is that I don't see the value in this particular bus monitor due to her incompetence. Someone else should have been doing that job.

How do you figure she's incompetent? What the heck was she supposed to do. Lash out at the kids? I promise, had she done that, this would have ended up with her being the bad guy here.

This is a simple case of kids acting up.. they all do from time to time, but these kids were mean.. Just mean. And it starts with Mom and Dad.

That's just it, it should never have gotten to the point of a 10 minute insult session if she was competent enough to handle the job. Apparently she was not equipped to deal with these kids acting up. If your going to put people on the bus to handle the behavior on the bus, they best be equipped with what they can or can not say/do and have the cajones to stand up and do it.

When this started had she stood up and told these kids that they had better sit down and behave or xxxx punishment will be enforced, they most likely would have just sat down and shut up. Actually had she ever done this in the time she has ever ridden this bus it would have been avoided. The kids NEVER saw her as a threat, they saw her as the injured prey and they attacked.

I still would like to know what the bus driver did during this 10 minutes.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Been on both sides of the desk and all sides of the monologues.

Priceless, pal. Priceless.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
My mom taught for 30 years and she got a kick out of that as well.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree, Mantis. She is clearly ineffective in the role the government is paying her to play.

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

What the heck was she supposed to do.

I think Kingcob offered a good answer for this. "Lashing out" would be the childish thing to do. Actually, she did "lash out" verbally at one point in the video (when the kids wanted her address). Totally ineffective.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think the person who is the bus monitor matters at all? Do you think anyone you put in that position would be bullied like she was? I think the problem with your argument, and that of many others here, is that you assume the reason this incident unfolded as it did is because of the restrictions placed on what the bus monitor can do. So, let me ask you another question. Do you think that, if that bus monitor was given a "free hand" in disciplining the kids on the bus, she would have done things differently? Do you think that she was sitting there crying only because she couldn't do what she really wanted to do? After watching the video and subsequent interviews, I don't know how you could possibly say that this was what was primarily responsible for her behavior. As I said before, based on what I have seen of her, the mentality of this woman is not much more sophisticated than the kids who were harassing her.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I disagree.

I'm 6'2", 195 lbs. Reasonably fit. Shoot, even my wife and son tell me I look mean, all the time. Got to know a guy this year, pretty well, and he said the same thing about me "Arch, before I got to know you, when I'd see you I thought 'that guy is ticked at the world'. " I've heard it from other people as well - just this weekend actually.

What would/could I have done on that bus? You can't physically touch the kids because you'd be sued, the school would be sued, etc.

Someone mentioned in here, don't remember who, but someone mentioned the "bully victim" thing, where in bullies select victims based on a perceived lack of retaliation. (my summation of the post).

At first I thought that was stupid - but upon thinking about it more, I think that's what happens most of the time.

I would not have been bullied on that bus - but had the kids kept coming at me, I would have been defenseless since, as a school employee, I would be powerless to actually stop the behavior. Threats to kids don't work without the ability to back up the threat.

I don't think she did anything wrong aside from the crying. (although, I didn't see the crying in the video).

I guess I grew up in a different era - a time when respecting others (especially adults) was the norm, and disrespecting had a definite, and quick, response.

C
2nd String
2nd String
C
Just put it plainly, the kids were out of line..They're lucky there are not my kids..I come from the old school spanking at home and paddling in school era..

What kept me from acting this way on buses wasn't' what the principal might do. It was what my mother WOULD do, if she got word I had acted in such a fashion..Call it abusive if you want but "MY FEAR OF THE CONSEQUENCES" from my mom kept me in line on many a cloudy judgment day. Seems to me neither of these kids had any fear of consequence for what they were doing.

I now have 2 teenaged boys who have taken the bus to school every day for the past 8 years. Without incident from them. Now they're pretty well behaved anyway but you can best believe that I tell them as the new school year starts, that I'd better not get ANY reports of them clowning around on the bus..

So what if that old lady snapped and started to physically or verbally defend herself ?? The parents would probably be screaming bloody murder.

And before any of you say I'm being abusive, I haven't had to spank either of my kids in about 5 years..Its not the only discipline option I use but believe me, they know its an option that is available..

"Behold! The only thing greater than yourself!"
Legend
Legend
This conversation is dumb.. you are only concerned over the amount of money she got, you don't think she desevered it and now you'll spend the next week telling me and everyone else why your right and everyone that gave her money is wrong.,

Kids were bad,,, Monitor has to authority.. END OF FREAKIN STORY

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Just another case on common sense getting thrown out the window. Give the people in charge permission to whip the kids ass, problem solved.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I guess I grew up in a different era - a time when respecting others (especially adults) was the norm, and disrespecting had a definite, and quick, response.

The first part of your statement is a direct result of the second part.

yebat' Putin
C
2nd String
2nd String
C
Quote:

Just another case on common sense getting thrown out the window. Give the people in charge permission to whip the kids ass, problem solved.

Now now GM..You know that you can't do that. If they got spanked or got a good old fashioned arse whoopn', they could end up scarred for life. Their self worth would be shattered..They would only go out and begin to be violent towards others. Their personal growth would be stunted..They would believe that their parents do not love them because they got punished. They would eventually feel so mistreated that they would sue for emancipation from their parents.

Yes! Let them think is is okay to be disrespectful snots to an adult. These are the solutions our youth need in our "POLITICALLY CORRECT" society..Not " CORRECT",,,"POLITICALLY CORRECT"...

Total sarcasm intended..

"Behold! The only thing greater than yourself!"
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

This conversation is dumb.. you are only concerned over the amount of money she got, you don't think she desevered it and now you'll spend the next week telling me and everyone else why your right and everyone that gave her money is wrong.,

I don't have to tell you your wrong. Once a person utters the words "This conversation is dumb," you know you've won.

Look, think what you want about why my opinion is what it is. That's irrelevant to me. I just want you to answer the question you have been evading. Does the bus monitor have any responsibility for the bullying she received? It doesn't have to be a majority of the responsibility; it doesn't even have to be 10 percent of the responsibility. Let's just get Damanshot on record that she had ONE PERCENT of the responsibility for what happened to her. I'm a reasonable person, and I'm willing to meet you more than half way!

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

I don't have to tell you your wrong. Once a person utters the words "This conversation is dumb," you know you've won.

Look, think what you want about why my opinion is what it is. That's irrelevant to me. I just want you to answer the question you have been evading. Does the bus monitor have any responsibility for the bullying she received? It doesn't have to be a majority of the responsibility; it doesn't even have to be 10 percent of the responsibility. Let's just get Damanshot on record that she had ONE PERCENT of the responsibility for what happened to her. I'm a reasonable person, and I'm willing to meet you more than half way!

Sorry to step in here - but let's say she's 20% responsible. (why that number? I have no idea). What would she have been legally able to do to stop the bullying? She cannot take one of the kids by the neck and march them to the front - that would be assault. She, AND the school, would've been sued.

She can't slap the kids around - that would end up in a lawsuit also.

Tell me - what could she have done? Then, put yourself in a positions where a group of......I don't know......maybe a group of guys like me are going after you. Verbally abusing you, and yes, physically touching you. What would you do, knowing that if you touched me, or anyone else, you'd be in court. What would you do?

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I don't understand why this is baffling to people.

Her one and only job in this situation is to say "If you do not stop you will by punished by the school. Saturday schools, detentions, suspensions, your parents will be called in, losing recess, and you'll be banned from the bus." She can also verbally direct the kids to sit in separate seats, though she probably isn't allowed to physically move them.

Just because she can't choke a kid out doesn't mean she doesn't have obvious authority responsibilities, which she didn't use in the slightest.

Here is an online handbook on bullying that places the responsibility of stopping bullying largely on the victim. Bullies 2 Buddies It has some common sense ideas that go against most of the "sit down with a psychologist and work it out!" model of stopping bullying around today.

The basic gist of the method is that victims are chosen somewhat randomly (obviously favoring weaknesses) and are then only repeatedly bullied because of their tendency to react, generally in a whiny and wimpy way. Teaching kids how to react to bullying in a non-chalant way is the focus of the book. Without making appeals to the principle or telling on someone. I like it.

I think the bus monitor should have followed this kind of advice, while at the same time reminding the kids she dishes out school punishments like they're going out of business.

Last edited by Kingcob; 06/27/12 11:31 PM.
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Makes me glad I grew up in Akron, we all walked to and from school here.

If someone wanted to gather their friends and kick my ass, I could cut through yards, jump fences, go into stores, etc. Give me time for my friends to show up or them to get bored and leave. Being cornered on a bus? No thanks.

City 1, Country 0

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Now now GM..You know that you can't do that. If they got spanked or got a good old fashioned arse whoopn', they could end up scarred for life. Their self worth would be shattered..They would only go out and begin to be violent towards others. Their personal growth would be stunted..They would believe that their parents do not love them because they got punished. They would eventually feel so mistreated that they would sue for emancipation from their parents.

Yes! Let them think is is okay to be disrespectful snots to an adult. These are the solutions our youth need in our "POLITICALLY CORRECT" society..Not " CORRECT",,,"POLITICALLY CORRECT"...

Total sarcasm intended..

The funny part about that Curly is that there are people out there who think that way, and if they would have had there ass whipped when they were younger they would realize how stupid that thought really is

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Does the bus monitor have any responsibility for the bullying she received?

No. Not even .00000001%

Nobody deserves to be bullied any more than a scantily dressed woman deserves to be raped. This was a pure and simple case of mob mentality. I bet that most of these kids are probably otherwise decent kids and one kid started it, it got no reaction or a negative reaction and others joined in and it grew from there. In a one on one situation, I bet few, if any, of these kids would act that way. They need to be punished quickly and severely and hopefully they learn something from this.

yebat' Putin
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Thank you again! People, please read Kingcob on this. You guys continue to push this false dichotomy of physical punishment or inactiion. I also don't understand why this is baffling people. I'm starting to suspect that people are not reading everything we write.

Let me try another clarification. It is possible that, if the bus monitor had done what Kingcob suggests, the kids would continue to bully her. Even so, at least she would have stood up to them. That is the very least I am expecting from her. That being said, I doubt the bullying would have stopped even if she did threaten them with NON-PHYSICAL punishments because they obviously don't respect her. And why don't they respect her? Take a look at the video. Is that a person you would respect if she had authority over you?

Lol, why do I continue to ask questions that no one will actually answer.

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Thank you, DC. I disagree with you, but at least you actually answered my question directly. I do think people who are bullied have some responsibility for what happens to them. They might not be able to do anything about it, and that's not fair, but it doesn't change the fact that bullies do not target random people. They go after the weak. I think the best solution for this problem is for people to toughen up. That's why I have a problem with this case. Instead of sending this message, we are coddling the victim. This, despite what Damanshot thinks, is my real problem with this whole incident.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I do think people who are bullied have some responsibility for what happens to them. They might not be able to do anything about it, and that's not fair, but it doesn't change the fact that bullies do not target random people. They go after the weak.

We are talking about 12-14 year old boys (and not just 1 or 2 but a bunch of them) ganging up on a 68 year old woman with taunts and insults and language the likes of which she has probably never been subjected to in her life. She can't leave because she's on a moving bus trying to do her job, she can't fight back because that's illegal (not to mention she is extremely outnumbered and... she's 68 years old).

Quote:

That's why I have a problem with this case. Instead of sending this message, we are coddling the victim.

Bull. The message to these kids ought to be that what you did was wrong on any number of levels and you should be extremely ashamed of yourself... not, if everybody doesn't toughen up to meet your standards, feel free to do this again.

Where does that line of thinking lead? Let's see, if somebody isn't tough enough to defend their bike, you are justified to take it. If somebody isn't smart enough to pick up their basketball out of the driveway, you are justified to take it. If some kid has a better lunch than you and you happen to have 20 pounds on him and more friends around, you are justified to take it. If somebody doesn't live up to your expectations of what tough enough or smart enough is, then feel free to walk all over them in any fashion you see fit.

I guarantee you that if this was my mom or my grandmom, I would be making some house calls to visit some young boys... what I wouldn't be doing was blaming my mom or grandmom for not being "tough enough"... and if your son happened to be one of them, then I would ask you to step aside and let's see if his scrawny little 110 pound arse is "tough enough" to handle it when he's on the other side and without all of his friends.... then what would you do?

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Where does that line of thinking lead? Let's see, if somebody isn't tough enough to defend their bike, you are justified to take it. If somebody isn't smart enough to pick up their basketball out of the driveway, you are justified to take it. If some kid has a better lunch than you and you happen to have 20 pounds on him and more friends around, you are justified to take it. If somebody doesn't live up to your expectations of what tough enough or smart enough is, then feel free to walk all over them in any fashion you see fit.

Want to know where all that logic comes from in our country? You can thank blood drunk free market venture capitalists for all of that. It bleeds over into a person's mindset and its frightening.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Quote:

Want to know where all that logic comes from in our country? You can thank blood drunk free market venture capitalists for all of that. It bleeds over into a person's mindset and its frightening.

Or it comes from blood sucking liberals that think they can take everything that someone earned

This has nothing to do with politics. And DC - very nicely put in the above post; my thoughts exactly.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

I do think people who are bullied have some responsibility for what happens to them. They might not be able to do anything about it, and that's not fair, but it doesn't change the fact that bullies do not target random people. They go after the weak.

We are talking about 12-14 year old boys (and not just 1 or 2 but a bunch of them) ganging up on a 68 year old woman with taunts and insults and language the likes of which she has probably never been subjected to in her life. She can't leave because she's on a moving bus trying to do her job, she can't fight back because that's illegal (not to mention she is extremely outnumbered and... she's 68 years old).

Quote:

That's why I have a problem with this case. Instead of sending this message, we are coddling the victim.

Bull. The message to these kids ought to be that what you did was wrong on any number of levels and you should be extremely ashamed of yourself... not, if everybody doesn't toughen up to meet your standards, feel free to do this again.

I guarantee you that if this was my mom or my grandmom, I would be making some house calls to visit some young boys... what I wouldn't be doing was blaming my mom or grandmom for not being "tough enough"... and if your son happened to be one of them, then I would ask you to step aside and let's see if his scrawny little 110 pound arse is "tough enough" to handle it when he's on the other side and without all of his friends.... then what would you do?

Exactly.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

That makes absolutely no sense.....

yebat' Putin
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Coming from someone who believes that the purpose of Government is to provide for it's citizens, your complete ignorance of human nature is understandable. People will steal until it becomes clear that the results will be unpleasant.

It is NOT POSSIBLE for the Government to provide anything, they do not produce anything. What they do is take things from productive people and give them to non-productive people. This solution is quite popular with lazy dumbasses, almost everyone else sees it for the pure stupidity that it is. People will be lazy dumbasses until it becomes clear that the results will be unpleasant.

As for this woman, I would agree that she is not well-suited for the job. However, somebody in a position of authority picked her as suitable for their purposes. I would be willing to bet money that even moderately physically fit males would be extremely rare as bus monitors. Someone to whom being this disrespectful and threatening would result in something unpleasant.

To her level of responsibility, BS. What is someone who is too short, or too tall, or has red hair supposed to do? I'll tell you what happens. The only way to be safe from the wolf pack is to become a member of the pack and join in the tormenting of others. A swift kick in the rear, or punch in the nose, will put a stop to this behavior more quickly and efficiently than all this "let's be friends" crap will ever achieve. People will bully until it becomes clear that the results will be unpleasant.

Pain, ladies and gentlemen, pain. It is a teaching tool, that is the ONLY reason it exists. The simplest, most direct, and most effective method known to humanity to send a clear, unmistakeable message to STOP DOING THAT, and DON'T DO IT AGAIN.

It really does seem that there are those that believe they can put their hand on a hot stove and have it not hurt, as long as they talk to the stove nicely enough. Normal folks understand the simple, direct message involved.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What they do is take things from productive people and give them to non-productive people.

I agree with everything except possibly this. The government has a long history of taking from everybody and giving to a few.. frequently that "few" is the non-productive, sometimes its the very "productive" who just want more.. either way, I agree that the government isn't in the business of production, they are in the business of redistribution... that's all they are set up to do.

Quote:

I'll tell you what happens. The only way to be safe from the wolf pack is to become a member of the pack and join in the tormenting of others. A swift kick in the rear, or punch in the nose, will put a stop to this behavior more quickly and efficiently than all this "let's be friends" crap will ever achieve.

On this we agree. To those who get their jollies through force and intimidation, they only respond to one consequence and it's not the warm hand of friendship.. Friendship and understanding is a great motivator for those who realize they did wrong and need support, it's a horrible motivator for those who have not yet seen the consequences of their actions and realized they are wrong. Sadly, the only way I'm aware of to stop a bully.... is with a bigger bully.

yebat' Putin
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Sadly, the only way I'm aware of to stop a bully.... is with a bigger bully.

Or, if the bully is a male, a swift, hard kick to his batteries.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't that make you the bigger bully in that situation? That was sort of my point.

yebat' Putin
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
There is a HUGE difference between assaulting someone and defending yourself.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't that make you the bigger bully in that situation? That was sort of my point.

No. I'm not saying go out and kick someone's butt...........but if a butt kicking seems inevitable - what are you going to do?

YOU are the one that said the only response you know of to stop a bully is with a bigger bully.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Middle Schoolers Harrass Bus Monitor

Link Copied to Clipboard