Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#704831 07/02/12 10:17 AM
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Oooh boy, the wait for training camp is gonna feel LOOOONG . . .

Hey, what about the supplemental draft?

Here's 2 notable players so far . . .

Josh Gordon: Baylor AND Utah WR

Ed Wesley: TCU RB

Legend
Legend
I think this should be moved to the supplemental draft forum

from the article about the TCU RB:

Quote:

The NFL hasn’t confirmed whether it has approved Wesley or anyone else for the supplemental draft, but the list of eligible players is expected to be revealed next week, and this year there could be up to 10 players available. Other names that have been mentioned as possible entries in the supplemental draft include Georgia safety Bacarri Rambo, Kansas State tackle Manase Foketi and Boston College running back Montel Harris.

The ex-Baylor WR is intriguing for size, speed, and production the last time he played. I've never watched him, though.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Remind me how the supplemental draft works? As I understand it, we could use a 3rd round pick in the supplemental on Gordon, and only give up our 2013 3rd round pick, right?

J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
I was about to ask, does anyone know anything about that WR??

Dave #704835 07/02/12 11:10 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Correct.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Honestly, without knowing one thing about that WR...I'd give a pick for him. Why not? Maybe a 4th or 5th? He's gotta be better thansome guys who will be available then next April.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I was about to ask, does anyone know anything about that WR??

From the link:

Former Baylor WR Josh Gordon will enter the NFL Supplemental Draft, an NFL source confirmed.

Gordon (6-4, 225), who did not play last season after transferring to Utah, is known in scouting circles for his prototype size and athletic ability. Gordon had to sit out last season due to NCAA transfer rules. He was suspended by Baylor for the 2011 season due to violation of team rules.

In his last season at Baylor, Gordon posted 42 receptions for 714 yards (17.0 average) with 7 touchdowns. He’s also capable of returning kicks.

Gordon, who has been clocked in the 40-yard dash at Baylor as low as the 4.3’s, could go as high as the first half of the Supplemental Draft based on his upside and play making ability.

The Supplemental Draft is scheduled to take place on July 12, but the NFL has yet to confirm the date or whether there will actually be a Supplemental Draft. However, some player agents and NFL executives have been told the draft will take place on July 12, according to multiple sources.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Gordon (#12) highlights at 2:50, 3:00, 4:28, 6:55, and 7:32. Appears to have good size and speed, seems to be able to catch with his hands and not his body - but it is a highlight tape after all.

And then there's this one play that I didn't see in the highlight.

Legend
Legend
Someone will probably gamble on him, but I wouldn't risk more than a 5th or 6th rounder on him.

I get really nervous when a guy hasn't played in a year, especially when he won't be working out for teams.

I would guess that someone will put in a 3rd rounder on him ....... but probably not us. If Al Davis were still alive ..... I'd bet on him. Maybe Jacksonville takes a gamble on him, but they've been burned on WRs with character issues many times.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
yeah, our GM would never spend a 2nd round pick on a WR who hasn't played in a year.

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B

Legend
Legend
Quote:

yeah, our GM would never spend a 2nd round pick on a WR who hasn't played in a year.

I get the sarcasm ......

Still, he seems risky to me.

I found the reason for his suspension from Baylor. He was arrested with marijuana in his car.

The more I read ...... I dunno. He seems to be a smooth guy with big hands. He's got size and speed.

I dunno. I would think that the teams would check him out really closely. Who knows?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
I'm waiting to see if any comments about him from RG3 might start popping up.

Legend
Legend
not if he wants him to play for washington

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

LOL, yeah and "we like our WR's" ..."we really do"

[Linked Image]

Dave #704846 07/03/12 07:51 AM
Legend
Legend
Man, that video was depressing. #12 did look pretty good, though.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Depressing because of us not getting Griffin or Wright? I thought the video was a ridiculous show of poor defense. Those WR's are not going to run free across the middle all day long for Griffin in the NFL. Regarding Gordon, he looked big and fast, but every highlight of him appeared to be a sideline go-route. Not much in the way of running patterns, just pure speed. He might just be another Carlton Mitchell type project.

Dave #704848 07/03/12 09:05 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good size and speed, decent hands but could improve with better mechanics in getting his hands turned consistently. Sloppy routes, just raw as a receiver and then you throw in the off the field stuff makes him likely to go undrafted but you never know we drafted Benjamin and he runs sloppy routes, with bad hands.

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
There are 8 eligible players . . .

NFL Supplemental Draft set for Thursday, July 12

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor
July 2, 2012 at 11:06 p.m.

NFL teams can't totally take off the Fourth of July holiday. They have to prepare for another draft.

The league informed teams Monday that the supplemental draft will be conducted electronically beginning at 1 p.m. ET on Thursday, July 12.

The following players are eligible to be drafted: Boise State DB Quaylon Ewing, Utah WR Josh Gordon, Syracuse RB Adam Harris, Iowa State OT Adrian Haughton, Carson-Newman LB Larry Lumpkin, Georgia DE Montez Robinson, McMurray WR Houston Tuminello and TCU RB Ed Wesley. No other players are eligible to apply for the draft.

Gordon is likely to receive the most attention from media and teams in the buildup to the draft. I spoke with former NFL scout (and current NFL.com analyst) Daniel Jeremiah, who said Gordon is building some buzz among teams. Measuring 6-foot-4, weighing 225 pounds and possessing good speed, Gordon looks the part of a pro wideout.

Gordon produced solid numbers in 2010 at Baylor before he was suspended and transferred to Utah. He turned pro before ever playing for Utah and will have to answer teams' questions about off-the-field behavior before anyone will take a chance on him.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Jeremiah pointed out that guys are in this draft for a reason. They have physical skills, but off-the-field issues or problems have kept them from top-prospect status. Gordon was suspended at Baylor after a drug arrest. Every player has a story; Syracuse fullback Adam Harris said in college that he had to quit football because of concussions. Teams have to consider things like that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82...plemental-draft
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I would hope not this one. You might see something a "Little" surprising this year. A WR with the rust off combined with a QB who can actually lead a WR.

Maybe you'll see why the investment was actually made.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I like Little. I said after our draft last year that Greg Little would be the best player of everyone we picked (but Sheard looks like he'll prove me wrong on that.)

I also wouldn't be opposed to burning a 3 or 4 on this Gordon guy if that highlight reel is an indicator of his abilities. We really have jack squat at wideout after Little... which is kind of mind-boggling considering the position we were in going into this past draft.

Last edited by CleveSteve; 07/03/12 02:13 PM.
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
he can't do worse than Massaqiou. If the Browns can spend a 4th a lightweight FB and a TE who barely played the position,why not bring in Gordon?
His body of work and resume is better than Camerons and Marecic's combined.

B
Legend
Legend
B
He looked good to me, but then I am no expert. I've only watched games for 55-60 years.

If he checks out, I'd have no problem offering up a 3rd round pick. We get next years pick this year.....sounds good to me.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
How does it work if we offer a 3rd and another team offers a 3rd?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

How does it work if we offer a 3rd and another team offers a 3rd?

There's a draft order.

Which we are high in.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
Same order as the 2012 draft?

Legend
Legend
Dunno. Can't seem to find anything on the order, I just know I read somewhere we are close to the front...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Here's the problem though ....... He's been suspended by one team, and walked ..... then he walked out on his new team without ever playing for them.

He's got some drug concerns.

And now he wants to be a pro.

He's a kid with warning signs ........ and while you shouldn't automatically dismiss the kid, you also probably better check him out pretty closely.

Legend
Legend
A college kid that likes to smoke pot.

Don't peg me as shocked.

He's ganna get a chance somewhere based on his measurables, and the fact that he has actually produced well when he played.

I'd throw a 4th out for him if we are even interested. Sit him down, and tell him to knock that crap off if he wants to make it anywhere.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Dunno. Can't seem to find anything on the order, I just know I read somewhere we are close to the front...

Yes, it's based on this past drafts order of selection.

Any team who wants a player can send the league office a "bid" on a player. The team with the highest "bid" is awarded the rights to said player. The team who gets the player then loses that rounds pick in next years regular NFL draft.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
According to this, the process of supplemental draft order is actually somewhat like the NBA draft.

http://football.about.com/od/miscinformation/a/supplementdraft.htm

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

A college kid that likes to smoke pot.

Don't peg me as shocked.

He's ganna get a chance somewhere based on his measurables, and the fact that he has actually produced well when he played.

I'd throw a 4th out for him if we are even interested. Sit him down, and tell him to knock that crap off if he wants to make it anywhere.

Maybe we'll put in a bid, but I'd be kind of surprised if it was even a 4th.

After all the WRs that were passed up in the last draft, I feel certain we aint landing this guy.

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Curious. Could said team reside in our nation's capitol?

Source: NFC team assigns Josh Gordon third-round grade

Posted by Evan Silva on July 7, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT

The NFL’s 2012 supplemental draft will be held on Thursday, July 12. Former Baylor wide receiver Josh Gordon is the highest-rated prospect available for this year’s summer draft.

A source with knowledge of multiple teams’ thinking told PFT that Gordon has generated a third-round supplemental draft grade from at least one club. The club plays in the NFC.

The source also says high-ranking people at Baylor believed Gordon was a superior player to Kendall Wright during both receivers’ time in Waco. Wright was drafted with the 20th overall pick by the Titans this year.

Gordon didn’t end up with the same body of work as Wright in college, but NFL teams are enamored with his size, speed, and potential. In his lone full season at Baylor, Gordon recorded 42 receptions for 714 yards and seven touchdowns, averaging 17 yards per catch.

Tony Pauline of SI.com reported late Friday that Gordon will hold a personal Pro Day on Tuesday at Rice University.

Legend
Legend
so he'll go in the second round, then? What teams have two 2nds next year? Do the Rams?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

so he'll go in the second round, then? What teams have two 2nds next year? Do the Rams?

It doesn't necessarily go that way. The supplemental draft does a "lottery" to determine draft order. Until that draft order is set, any conjecture is just that.

Once the draft order is set, each team will submit its "bid" on any player they are interested in drafting, and the high bid wins. There could also be trades involved. Who knows what could happen?

It's actually kinda fun in that regard. We could find, for example, that the Vikings won the 1st pick in each round, and that they drafted him in the 3rd round ..... and upon winning his rights, trade him to another team in a pre-arranged deal for that team's 3rd and 5th round picks next year. (which could be better than that team using their 2nd on him)

Just food for thought.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

The supplemental draft does a "lottery" to determine draft order. Until that draft order is set, any conjecture is just that.

Once the draft order is set, each team will submit its "bid" on any player they are interested in drafting, and the high bid wins. There could also be trades involved. Who knows what could happen?

It's actually kinda fun in that regard. We could find, for example, that the Vikings won the 1st pick in each round, and that they drafted him in the 3rd round ..... and upon winning his rights, trade him to another team in a pre-arranged deal for that team's 3rd and 5th round picks next year. (which could be better than that team using their 2nd on him)

Just food for thought.

Actually the draft order is already set, and was right after the Super Bowl. The supplemental draft order is the same as the April draft, without the traded picks, i.e. Atlanta has a 1st round pick in the supplemental draft. So Indy has the 1st pick, we have the 4th, Atlanta has 22, etc, same order as April. Of course if we, or any other team makes a selection in the supplemental draft we forfeit that rounds pick in the 2013 April draft.

Here is an interesting (and funny) mock draft for this draft... (hint we make a trade).

web page

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Legend
Legend
According to the PD, it's a weighted lottery among the 3 groups.

Mystery lingers for NFL's supplemental draft -- even for Bernie Kosar | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/08/mystery_lingers_for_nfls_suppl.html

Essentially, the supplemental draft is a weighted lottery. Teams form three groups based on their records from the past year -- six victories or fewer, all other non-playoff teams, and then playoff teams. A lottery determines the order for each group.

Each team submits an electronic bid on a player in what they feel is the appropriate round. The team with the highest bid (for the highest round) wins but must forfeit its pick in that round in the next regular draft. If two teams bid on the same player, the team with the worst record is awarded the rights.

The system is completely different from 1985, when the supplemental draft order was the same as the regular draft order, but the NFL could not confirm that the draft process was changed because of the Kosar situation.

Back then, the team with the worst record the previous season owned the No. 1 pick in the regular draft and the supplemental draft. The Browns traded for Buffalo's No. 1 pick in the supplemental draft, which was held on July 2, 1985. But the real work on the deal was done in the months leading up to that.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

Ah, they changed it up a little then.

Although it still sounds like it would be the very close to the April draft order. They do the lottery for teams with the same record, instead of strength of schedule as in the April draft.

So essentially; they break the teams up into 3 different groupings, then they break down those groupings based on won-loss record, and finally 'lotto' for teams with the same record. So Indy and STL both finished 2-14, they will lotto for the 1st overall pick rather than Indy getting it on a weaker strength of schedule. Maybe Minn is included as the only 3-13 team, or they go into the next subset with Cleveland and TB.

This, apparently, all to prevent a Kosar-esque manipulation of the the supp draft to go where a player wants to go.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Legend
Legend
Right ... I think. lol

Teams with 6 or fewer wins go into one lottery. Then teams that missed the playoffs. Then playoff teams. Each group has a lottery.

I can't find anything that tells if the lottery results are made public, or even available to the teams in advance of the electronic draft. They may draft blindly, having no idea where they are in the pecking order.

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Well, we're checking him out tomorrow . . .

Bills, Browns will check out Josh Gordon on Tuesday

Posted by Josh Alper on July 9, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT

The list of teams heading to Houston to check out wide receiver Josh Gordon’s Tuesday workout keeps growing.

We learned earlier Monday that the Cowboys will be there to watch the former Baylor wideout do his thing and now a pair of AFC clubs have been added to the mix. James Walker of ESPN.com reports that the Bills will be in attendance and Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon-Journal passes along the same information about the Browns.

The Bills just signed third-round pick T.J. Graham, one of several players competing for time across from Stevie Johnson on the Bills offense. Donald Jones, David Nelson and Marcus Easley are also on the depth chart, but the Bills haven’t settled on anyone. They chased Robert Meachem as a free agent earlier in the offseason, which indicates a willingness to add bodies to the mix in an attempt to find the right piece for their offensive puzzle.

Cleveland can use all the help they can get on offense so that Brandon Weeden has a shot at doing better than his predecessors at quarterback with the Browns. The top receiver on the depth chart right now is Greg Little and his presence on the roster suggests that they might be less put off by the fact that Gordon missed the entire 2011 season than some other teams. Little was ruled ineligible before the 2010 season by the NCAA, but the Browns made him a second-round pick anyway and they are expecting him to anchor the receiving corps this season.

The Browns were also interested in Gordon’s former Baylor teammate Kendall Wright before the draft. Some scouts have deemed Gordon to be superior to Wright, who went 20th overall to the Titans in April.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Supplemental Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard